V20 N3 Celebrations of Regional Heritage and Maritime Arts

Page 1

This intriguing photograph appears to represent behind the scenes at a turn-of-the-century Regatta. In the foreground are sailing gillnetters and two lifeboats. Behind them are the cannery scow Mary E., left, and a gentleman with straw hat in a pulling boat, center right. In middle distance at right is a fantail steam launch. In the background at right are the masts and flags of the Regatta flagship, and the pilothouse and Texas of a steamboat at left. If anyone can shed further light on this scene, please let us know. Donor, P. R. Mason. 1990.66.35

A review and newsletter from the Columbia River Maritime Museum at 1792 Marine Drive in Astoria, Oregon

The Columbia River Maritime Museum serves both as a repository of regional heritage and as a site for the ongoing growth and development of new traditions, especially in the maritime arts.

Vol. 20 No. 3 Summer 1994

In that spirit, be sure not to miss the magnificent display of West Coast Marine Art, now showing though October. And please make special note of the artists' reception scheduled for the week of Regatta. With works ranging from very traditional to quite modern, the show provides a visual treat for one and all.

Celebrations of Regional Heritage and Maritime Arts

In August of 1994 the Astoria Regatta, the longest running community celebration of its kind in the Pacific Northwest, celebrates the 100th anniversary of its inception. Long an outlet for community pride, the old-fashioned summer fun of Regatta this year will look back on a century of tradition and forward to the promise of the future as well.

Also in the spirit of ongoing maritime traditions, the summer's activities all point towards the annual Lower Columbia Row-In. So polish up you boat-handling (or watching) skills and plan to be with us Sunday, August 28th.


The summer of 1994 holds in store a number of notable commemorations and events, which are highlighted in this issue of the Quarterdeck. With the first full day of summer, Clatsop County celebrated its 150th year as a governing district. Distinguished as the place where the United States gained its first foothold on the Pacific Coast, with origins in Capt. Robert Gray's voyages, the Lewis and Clark Expedition and the founding of Astoria, the local jurisdiction was one of the first districts created in the 1840s by the provisional government of Oregon.

Peter Brix

Mitch Boyce

Ward V . Cook, President

Willis Van Dusen

Chris Bennett

James H. Gilbaugh, Jr.

Alan Green, Jr.

Trish Custard

Rachel Wynne

Honoring the Artist Members of the American Society of Marine Artists

Maurie D Clark

Thomas R. Dyer

Carl Fisher

West Coast Marine Art Show 25 June 23 October, 1994

Friday August 12th, 1994- 6 to 8 p.m. Kern Room, Columbia River Maritime Museum

The Museum would like to acknowledge the generous assistance provided by many in presenting this exhibition, in particular:

William T. C. Stevens


Anne Morden

Ted Natt, Vice President

Cris Ek

Hobe Kytr

J. W. 'Bud' Forrester

Mark Tolonen

Jack R. Dant


Artworks were selected to demonstrate the West Coast's links with the sea. You will find dramatic scenes of the coast from California to Alaska, busy views of seaports with their fishing, shipping and transportation activities, and works looking back at maritime enterprises of the past.

Robley Mangold, Treasurer

Russ Bean

Robert G. Hemphill

Museum Staff:

Lynn Gray-Trost

Allen V Cellars

Anne Witty

John Davis

Jerry L. Ostermiller, Director

The fundamental theme, the sea, unites these pieces. The sea draws us near with its appeal. And it is the common factor in the work of the thirty-one artists, each with an individual vision, represented in this exhibition.

Darryl Bergerson

Frank Warren

Walter Gadsby, Jr.

Eric 'Skip' Hauke

Ed Nelson, Jr.

Celerino Bebeloni

Please Plan to Join Us For a Reception

Justine Van Sickle

"Requiem for the Mary D. Hume,'' oil and acrylic by George Walker, one of many fine pieces in the West Coast Marine Art show, through October 23rd.

David M. Myers

W Hampton Scudder

Lynne Leland

Charlotte Jackson

Michele Holly

Evelyn Georges

W. Louis Larson

Anita Decker

Alan C. Goudy, Immediate Past Pres.

Jim Nyberg

Herbert Steinmeyer

Elizabeth Serreau

North America's West Coast provides a wealth of material for artists, from magnificent seascapes to harbors bustling with maritime activity. In its first-ever West Coast museum show, the American Society of Marine Artists presents forty-five works by some of the region's foremost marine painters. The show is open in the Kern Room and Great Hall of the Columbia River Maritime Museum now through October 23rd.

Roy Snell

Charles Shea

Jon Englund

Don M. Haskell

John Dirschel

Rose Palazzo

Board of Trustees:

John McGowan

Eugene Lowe

Norma Jay, Fellow of the A.S.M.A.; Tom Wells, Fellow of the A.S.M.A ; Sally Lawrence, President, The Pacific Northwest College of Art; Lynne Johnson; William T . C. Stevens, President, A.S.M.A.; and the artist members of the American Society of Marine Artists. The exhibition was made possible by support from The Ralph W. and Susie Coe Memorial Endowment, with special thanks to Mr and Mrs. Donald Bray.

Richard T. Carruthers, Secretary

Jeremy Snow

Steve Kann

Marietta Doney

Erin House

Astoria native Harold Nelson, author of "A Way of Life Now History," page 9, is a long-time CRMM member. Mr. Nelson has lived in Portland since World War II.

The Pacific Challenge is an international competition for 18th and 19th-century replica craft and Native American canoe teams. The Challenge emphasizes hands-on experience in traditional ships' boats of the types used in the maritime exploration of the Northwest Coast. The events center around good seamanship, safe boating practices, teamwork, sound educational programs, and planning. Ten boats and three native canoes took part in the 1994 Challenge.

Volume 20 No.3

Attention All Members and Donors

Events included maneuvering under oars, overboard drills and retrievals, logistical problems, a survey of the Wishkah River, a sailing race and a pulling race. Nautical knowledge was required for a "Boojum Relay," a quiz in which boat crews were timed in answering an allotment of questions. Knot tying and line heaving completed the roster of skills-oriented events.

Quarterdeck, Vol. 20 No. 3

The Buena Ventura is a 16 foot wooden launch in the Spanish style. The boat

Walt McManis shows off his period costume for the Pacific Challenge.

"Laid up on the leeward shore Wishkah River to take soundings. Windward shore has encampment of dwellings of peculiar dome shape with people dressed in a variety of colors and head protection against the oppressive sun"

The Museum team called on both their maritime skills and their ingenuity to take three first places among the seven judged events. In addition, the Museum's display of knot-tying and ropemaking was awarded "Judge's Choice" for best educational display.

Effective January 1, 1994, the Internal Revenue Code requires we acknowledge contributions in writing and state if goods or services were provided in return for your gift. This acknowledgment should be kept with your tax records for the year of your gift. According to the Internal Revenue Code, your charitable contribution may be disallowed if you are unable to provide the written acknowledgment upon request.


Weeks of intensive drill in boat handling paid off for the CRMM crew during pulling boat maneuvers in the tricky tidal currents of the Wishkah River.

was built at the Oregon Historical Society as one of three replica boats from ships significant to the 18th-century exploration of the Northwest Coast. The boat competed against six similar longboats from Washington State and British Columbia.

Museum Crew Tackles Pacific Challenge


Since 1991, Pacific Challenge events have been held in Port Townsend and Anacortes, Washington. The Columbia River Maritime Museum will host the event in the spring of 1996.

The QUARTERDECK is published four times a year by the Columbia River Maritime Museum, 1792 Marine Dr, Astoria, OR 97103.

Log of the longboat Buena Ventura May 7, 1994

Such was the scene recorded by the crew of the 16-foot traditional longboat Buena Ventura, as they participated in a survey of an "uncharted" river during the 1994 Pacific Challenge events. Nine staff and volunteers of the Columbia River Maritime Museum traveled to Aberdeen, Washington, to compete in the Challenge, which was held at Grays Harbor Historical Seaport.


Printed at Anchor Graphics, Astoria, Oregon

Photo credits: Mary D. Hume, page 2, courtesy George Walker; Pacific Challenge, page 3, Jerry Ostermiller; Walt McManis, page 3, Rachel Wynne; Row-In, page 16, Anne Witty; cover photo, USS Astoria, page 5, map, page 6, Regatta race & horse seine, pages 8 & 9, CRMM archives.

Editor, Hobe Kytr. Staff: Jerry Ostermiller, Anne Witty, Rachel Wynne, Mark Tolonen.

by Thornton Thomas

First I was a shipfitter on Liberty cargo ships. In June of 1941, fresh out of college, I reported for work at the CalShip Terminal Island yards near San Pedro, California. I joined the AFL Boilermakers Union, was paid $1.20 per hour and started work laying the keel on Hull #1, the Liberty Ship John C. Fremont.

Instead of sailing my own boat in the waters off San Pedro, I was now a member of a three-man watch from 12 to 4. On my first watch we left San Pedro on a blacked-out ship about midnight. I was stationed as lookout on the bow of the tanker, thrilled to be out at sea again. Suddenly, in the phosphorescent ocean, I saw two streaks heading directly toward the tanker's bow. Three ships had been torpedoed in the waters off San Pedro. I thought that we would be number 4! Fortunately these were porpoises, and real fish, not tin fish!

Just before Thanksgiving in 1942, the Utacarbon was approaching the Columbia River bar on a voyage to Astoria and Portland with a cargo of gasoline. I was at the wheel on the 4 to 8 p.m. watch when an S.O.S. was received by our radio operator. Torpedoes had hit the tankers Larry Doheney and Camden. The navigation officer plotted their location and determined that they were several miles ahead of us. Immediately we headed seaward on an evasive zigzag course. Next day upon returning to our course, we approached the Columbia River bar pilot vessel and picked up our pilot for the crossing. Upon reaching our deck, he exclaimed, "Mr. Mate, three tankers were sunk in the last twenty-four hours. These were the Doheney, Camden and the Utacarbon." Our first mate greeted him with, "Pleased to report that you are now aboard the Utacarbon!"

The Utacarbon was considered armed with a Navy gun crew aboard manning a 4-inch gun aft and two SO-caliber and two 30-caliber machine guns on the bridge deck. The tanker traveled alone up and down the Pacific Coast from homeport San Pedro to Morro Bay, San Francisco, Astoria, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. Our cargo was bunker fuel oil and gasoline.

On a previous voyage the Utacarbon was used as a Hollywood floating location shot for a movie about a Q-boat acting as a decoy in order to lure an enemy submarine to the surface. The plot required a slow and old ship traveling alone. When a submarine surfaced, formerly concealed guns appeared and sank the submarine. The Utacarbon filled the requirements and we got paid $5 for each scene in which we appeared. Lauren Bacall was the star and the moral of the story was, "Loose Lips Sink Ships." Off the Oregon coast two tankers had a reversal of this role and the Utacarbon could have been the third.

ready to take possession of our ship. The Utacarbon had been given to the USSR under terms of Lend/Lease. The Russian crew didn't look "Hollywood" and my career in movies ended.

Next I transferred to San Francisco and assumed the duties of an oil barge captain. My job was fueling some of the hundreds of ships anchored in San Francisco Bay waiting to load supplies to take to the Pacific war fronts that were moving ever closer to Japan. I even supplied fuel oil to Alcatraz Island.

We received many responses to "The Call was Answered" by Rachel Wynne in the last issue of the Quarterdeck. Her article about the Merchant Marine during World War II struck a chord with many of our members and readers. Several wrote to provide information on their service in the Merchant Marine during the war. The piece by Mr. Thornton Thomas of Bellevue, Washington, above, was chosen as representative of the kind of information coming in because of the Museum's Merchant Marine oral history project.

Union Town Bar we walked on sawdust covered floors and, with beer in hand, toasted the wall chart showing the historic shipwrecks on the sandbars.

In 1944, two ammunition ships exploded at the Port Chicago docks near Martinez, California [not on Mare Island, as we had it in the last issue]. World War II tight security and martial law was enforced for the devastated area. My father was a specialist handling insurance disaster claims suffered in hurricanes, earthquakes and airplane crashes. He managed the large force handling the unique Port Chicago claims. Together we inspected the explosion damage. The ammunition ships blew up sometime around midnight. A daytime explosion, with crowds working, shopping and in school would have caused a vast number of casualties. Our inspection tour disclosed large slivers of glass imbedded in walls and in ceilings. Instead of glass, a homeowner showed us a piece of steel plate that had fallen through the roof of his house and landed between him and his wife in their double bed!

My days as a merchant seaman aboard the Utacarbon ended abruptly upon returning to our homeport in San Pedro. Awaiting on the dock was a crew of about 60 people. At first we hoped that it was another movie location voyage. However, the Port Captain came aboard informed us that this was a Russian crew

I was always glad to get the Columbia bar crossing behind me. At the wheel I would line up the targets on the Washington shoreline and feel the tanker surge like a huge surfboat on the waves. Then, after a sigh of relief and a change from bar pilot to river pilot at Astoria, we headed to Portland with the aromatic smell of trees and land replacing sea air. Smooth Columbia River waters replaced ocean waves.


On Sunday morning, December 7, 1941, I was sailing my sloop in San Pedro Harbor and learned about the Pearl Harbor attack from a Police boat and was directed to return to my moorage. Shortly afterwards I decided to join the Merchant Marine and signed aboard Union Oil Company's old tanker Utacarbon. I joined the CIO Maritime Union and was a merchant seaman in the deck department.

My Merchant Seaman Days

On VJ Day, from Market Street, I watched mobs of people, sailors, soldiers, civilians, all mingle together to celebrate Peace. As the day progressed, liquor stores and other shops were broken into and the mood of the crowd turned from joyousness by the many to destruction by the few. San Francisco was a wild scene on VJ Day and I soon left in order to celebrate "Peace" at home.

My interesting watch partners were a convict who had just been released from prison and a "con" artist who would soon land in prison. We shared a threebunk stateroom and I learned things from them that were never taught in college. After almost every trip we would have new crew so that I would have a wide variety of watch partners and bunkmates. Many of the seaman wanted long ocean voyages with less docking work and more pay for war zone bonus. I stayed with the Utacarbon and soon became quartermaster. I was at the ship's wheel for crossing the Columbia River bar and intricate docking maneuvers at Portland and Vancouver, B.C. When we docked at Astoria and visited the quaint

The bell from the light cruiser Astoria (CL-90) recently arrived at CRMM on extended loan from the Navy Museum. CL-90 was laid down at Philadelphia in 1941 as the Wilkes-Barre. She was renamed Astoria in 1942 while on the ways to honor the heavy cruiser Astoria (CA-34) sunk in the Battle of Savo Island in August of that year. The Astoria's bell will be the centerpiece of a new outdoor display in the waterfront maritime park.

The idea behind the Liberty ships was that they could be built faster than the Germans and Japanese could sink them. Even if they only had a life expectancy of a year or so, the strategic value of being able to produce so many ships so quickly meant that precious cargoes, on which the war effort depended, could get through. The survival of Britain depended on the North Atlantic convoys. The dogged resistance of the Soviet Army on the European eastern front, where bloodshed of almost unfathomable dimensions occurred, would never have been possible without a lifeline of American munitions. That lifeline was carried by ships; ships like the O'Brien; slow ships made to a design tried-and-true but decades outof-date; ships that didn't need to last, they just needed to get through before it was too late.

So to all who served during the war, wherever you may be, whether your part was great or small, whether on the battlefield, on the supply lines or on the production line; whether far from home or in the homeguard, we at the Columbia River Maritime Museum salute you. And to our counterparts in and supporters of the National Liberty Ship Memorial, Fort Mason, San Francisco, and especially to the crew of the Jeremiah O'Brien, a welldeserved and hearty congratulations on a job well done .


The Jeremiah O'Brien has for the past several years been a floating memorial homeported in San Francisco Bay. Saved from the scrap heap by retired Rear Admiral Thomas Patterson, the O'Brien has lovingly been repaired and restored by a volunteer crew, some of whom served on vessels such as this during the war, and some of whom weren't even born when World War II was raging.

Among those Americans who served their country during the war in whatever capacity, the Merchant Marine waited the longest to be recognized for their part in the war effort, despite the fact that merchant mariners suffered the highest rate of casualties of any branch of service. Thus it is with some pride that veterans of the merchant fleet take note that out of the 6,473 ships assembled for the massive D-Day armada in 1944, only one was able to return 50 years later. And as unlikely as it might seem, she was an "ugly duckling," a Liberty ship: the Jeremiah O'Brien.

When she sailed out the Golden Gate in April 1994, bound for England by way of the Panama Canal, the O'Brien's roster included many in their 70s. Her Captain, George Jahn, was 78 years young. Many doubted the 51-year-old cargo ship and her crew would ever make it to England. But not only did they make it, they were the stars of the show.

As the most massive amphibious assault ever attempted in the history of the world and the turning point of the war in Europe, D-Day in many ways symbolizes the sacrifices made by those who served in the heroic effort to overcome the Axis powers during World War II. And a huge effort it was, in the Atlantic and in the Pacific, on land, on the seas and in the air. Whether from Normandy east through Germany, from Anzio north through Italy, or island by island across the vast Pacific towards Japan, countless battlefronts saw the

bravery and sacrifice of free men and women in the struggle to overcome the forces of tyranny. All those who come after will long have reason to pause and be thankful.

Quarterdeck, Vol. 20 No. 3

As unlikely as it may seem, 50 years later and 7,894 miles away from home, the Jeremiah O'Brien and her ageless crew found themselves in Portsmouth, England, and in the center of attention. People from all over Britain came to see the old cargo ship. In a way, she symbolized the survival of their nation when that survival was far from assured. She symbolized the special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom. And on Sunday, June 5, the O'Brien, lone cargo vessel amongst a fleet of modern warships, took the place of honor during a royal naval review. Later in the day, President and Mrs. Clinton came aboard, the first time ever that a president of the United States has visited a cargo ship flying the American flag.

Bell from the U.S.S. Astoria Comes Home

Symbols of a Democracy Aroused

Faithful correspondent James Jensen, an Astoria native and Museum member now living in San Mateo, California, has been sending us weekly packets of clippings from the San Francisco Chronicle and Examiner concerning the voyage of the Liberty ship Jeremiah O'Brien to take part in the 50th anniversary commemoration of the D-Day invasion of Normandy. As originally planned, the S.S. John W. Brown and S.S. Lane Victory were to have gone as well, but because of unforeseen difficulties the other two remaining American World War II era cargo vessels were unable to make the voyage.

Meanwhile, the Hudson's Bay Company, as successor to the North West Company, was firmly in control of the entire region Chief Factor John Mcloughlin ran the vast Columbia District as a mercantile fiefdom from company headquarters at Fort Vancouver,

Under the Joint Occupancy agreement of 1818, the United States and Great Britain were to enjoy equal access to the Oregon Country. This accord also set the north e rn boundary of the Louisiana Purchase at the "49th degree of north latitude, from the Lake of the Woods to the Stony Mountains." The agreement, however, d id not specify the boundaries of Oregon. In a series of diplomatic triumphs that followed, John Quincy Adams, secretary of state, was able to keep America's hopes for possessidn of Oregon alive. While negotiating with Spain over possession of Florida in 1819, Adams insisted the northern limits of Spanish interests in what is now the American Southwest be part of that accord. Thus he was able to set the southern boundary of the Louisiana Purchase and to acquire Spanish claims to the Northwest Coast above the 42nd parallel.

Clatsop County Celebrates Sesquicentennial

American Settlers

Diplomatic Efforts

Detail of early map showing approximate size of Clatsop County in 1845.


With the Spanish and Russians out of the way, the Americans and British now found themselves in a virtual stand-off Great Britain did not agree to American succession to Spanish interests on the Northwest Coast, insisting all such claims vacated by the Nootka accord of 1794. Nor did the British accede to other American claims in the region. However, the British did not insist upon exclusive sovereignty to any part of the contested territory; in contrast, the United States sought sole possession at least as far as the 49th parallel. Unable to agree to divi sion of the territory, the Joint Occupancy agreement of 1818 was renewed in 1827 for an indefinite period.

which was founded in 1824 when HBC Governor Sir George Simpson decided the old North West Company outpost at Fort George was rather too grand and poorly situated for his liking. Governor Simpson also was of the opinion that Great Britain eventually would relinquish all claims south of the Columbia River, which he regarded as the logical southern boundary of British interests in the region

The Monroe Doctrine of 1823 stated that the American continents were no longer to be considered subjects for European colonization. One of the first effects

The origins of Clatsop County in 1844 trace back to a momentous time in our regional history. Clatsop County predates both the Territory and State of Oregon, having been formed by the provisional government of Oregon during the Joint Occupancy with Great Britain.

Possession of the Oregon Country was largely resolved through diplomatic efforts far away from Clatsop County. Following the sale of Astoria to the British North West Company in 1813, American presence in the Pacific Northwest was for some years confined to vessels in the maritime fur trade. However, the Treaty of Ghent, which ended the War of 1812, stated that "all territory, places and possessions, whatsoever, taken by either party from the other during the war shall be returned without delay." In October of 1818, the United States formally retook possession of Astoria, after which it reverted to being Fort George, a trading post of the North West Company.

Hudson's Bay Company

Rights along the Northwest Coast were hotly contested by four nations during the early 19th century. The Russian Empire made claims extending from the far north to the Columbia River. The Spanish claimed the entire coast from New Spain to the 59th parallel. Great Britain contested everything between Russian Alaska and Spanish California. The United States also laid claim to the far shore of North America.

Gradually, over time, Americans began to trickle into the Oregon Country. Jedediah Smith led his fur brigade into California and Oregon in 1828. Hall Jackson Kelley, Boston schoolteacher and pamphleteer for colonization of Oregon, made a star-crossed trek to Oregon in 1834. Nathaniel Wyeth, a former disciple of Kelley's, led two expeditions to the Columbia in 1832 and 1834, both of which were economic failures. Wyeth blamed his shortfalls on unfair competition from the Hudson's Bay Company. Also in 1834 Methodist missionaries Jason and Daniel Lee, began what was to became the town of Salem, Oregon. Additional mission parties arrived by sea in 1836 and again the following year. In 1839, the "Peoria Party" came overland, among them Robert Shortess, who eventually settled in the east end of Astoria.

-,\,\~\\~\\)') . ! .) 1.f//(:1 · ! ) '\ \ j i I ,' ,' \ i \ ··~~ '\: \\ \ '• ... · . •.·· •.;·····:•···'··;•,·'·" .· .. ·.•.· , :·.· ~·*···· ~ ";··. t;iy\ · ~\~" . }} ll.(...,. 1i/(. :(J~~ti@ ! iii, f I;) J i\~ \~\~}

of this decree was to strengthen Ameri ca's hand on the Northwest Coast. After lengthy diplomatic maneuverings, Adams concluded a treaty with Russia in 1824 which divided American and Russian interests at 54° 40' N latitude. The following year, Great Britain and Russia made a similar agreement.

Canadians. A mural at the Oregon capitol in Salem showing Joe Meek calling for a divide on that momentous day portrays a colorful and decisive event in the history of our region long a part of the canon of Northwest folklore. By this account, the vote for organizing a government was 52 to 50.

Clatsop District

One misconception about early Clatsop County echoed in the pages of Miller's history of the county should in the interest of fairness be clarified. Although a treaty was concluded with the Indians of the lower Columbia at Tansey Point in August of 1851, that treaty was never ratified. The $15,000 promised to the Clatsop people for their lands was paid only after a lengthy lawsuit. Attorney Silas Smith, son of Solomon and Celiast Smith of Clatsop Plains and a grandson of Clatsop Tyee Coboway, brought suit against the United States in 1899 in the name of the Tillamook, Clatsop, Chinook, and Cathlamet bands as combined signatories to the Tansey Point Treaty. A court judgment in 1907 waited until 1912 for enabling legislation by congress. Allocations were finally disbursed in 1914. The Clatsop lands paid for, at 1851 prices, extended from the beach to the hill line, and from Point Adams to the mouth of the Necanicum River only.

Boundary Question Settled

Carey, Charles H. General History of Oregon, 3rd edition, Binfords & Mort (Portland, 1971).

According to Emma Gene Miller's Clatsop County, Oregon, the provisional government created Clatsop County out of the northern and western portions of the Tuality District, but five days later removed the area north of the Columbia River. Due to confusion over the exact boundaries of the new district, the legislative committee redefined them in December 1845: "the line dividing Clatsop and Tuality districts shall commence in the middle of the main channel of the Columbia River, at Oak Point Mountain on said river; thence south to a supposed line dividing Yamhill and Tuality districts; thence west along said line to the Pacific Ocean; thence north along said line to the mouth of the Columbia River; thence up the middle of the main channel to the point of beginning." As such, the Clatsop District encompassed parts of Columbia, Washington and Tillamook

The uneasy situation in Oregon began to be resolved at what are called the first and second Wolf Meetings. A committee met at Champoeg in February 1843 to discuss livestock predation. They decided to canvass the population, both British and American, and to meet again in March at the home of Joseph Gervais, who had come overland to Astoria with Wilson Price Hunt in 1812. These sessions are regarded as the beginnings of government in Oregon. Presiding at the second meeting was James O'Neal, who came to Oregon with Nathaniel Wyeth. O'Neal had a copy of the statutes of Iowa, bound together with the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, under which the territories and states of the Old Northwest had been admitted to the Union.

Quarterdeck, Vol. 20 No. 3

James O'Neal's volume of the laws of Iowa was the basis for the organic act of the provisional government of Oregon. The act provided "freedom of worship, trial by jury, habeas corpus and the sanctity of private contacts." It also banned slavery and granted suffrage to all free white males residing in the territory.

The swelling numbers of Americans in Oregon mistrusted the British in general and the Hudson's Bay Company in particular and demanded protection under American law But about half the population of the region was comprised of current and former HBC employees, for whom the Company was both law and government. Adding further fuel to the debate, Ewing Young, the wealthiest settler in the Oregon Country, died without a will in February 1841.

Lieutenant Wilkes of the U.S. Exploring Expedition visited the Northwest the following summer, ostensibly for scientific reasons, but the diplomatic purpose behind the presence of a U.S naval expedition in the region was plainly evident to all concerned. However, Lieutenant Wilkes found the ordered society of Fort Vancouver more to his liking than the noisy rabble in the Willamette Valley. He advised the American settlers to "wait until the government of the United States should throw its mantle over them." He provided little encouragement, though, as to means by which this could be furthered. Yet, his official report of the dangers of the Columbia bar, as contrasted with the desirability of the deep harbors of Puget Sound, had the effect of strengthening American diplomatic resolve to seek division of the Oregon Country at the 49th parallel. This opinion was further obviated by the loss of the sloop of war Peacock at the river's entrance in July 1841.

Clatsop Indian Lands

Suggested Further Reading

Lavender, David. Land of Giants, University of Nebraska Press (Lincoln, 1974).

Miller, Emma Gene. Clatsop County, Oregon: Its History, Legends and Industries, Binfords & Mort (Portland, 1958).


On May 2, 1843, a general meeting of all interested parties was held at Champoeg to consider the central issue of governmental organization. In attendance were both American settlers and former HBC employees, most of them French

Counties as they are defined today. The first county seat was Lexington, on the Skipanon River in present-day Warrenton. The first representative to the provisional government from the Clatsop District was John McClure in 1845.

Formation of a provisional government was a significant factor in settling the decades-long ambiguities of the Joint Occupancy of Oregon. James K. Polk, elected president in 1844 with the slogan " 54-40 or Fight! " demanded renegotiation of the treaty. Looking at the overall picture and the ease of access from the United States over the Oregon Trail, the British agreed to division at the 49th parallel. The Oregon boundary agreement was signed in 1846. Within three years Oregon would become a Territory of the United States, and ten years after that, the 33rd state of the Union.

Beckham, Stephen Dow. "History of Western Oregon Since 1846," in Vol. 7, Handbook of North American Indians: The Northwest Coast, Smithsonian Institution, (Washington, 1990).

The provisional government of 1843 divided the region into four districts. The Twality (Tuality) District extended "south of the northern boundary line of the United States [wherever that was to be defined], west to the Wallamet or Multnomah river, north of the Yamhill river and east of the Pacific ocean;" the second was the Champoo-ick (Champoeg) District, bounded by a "supposed line drawn from the mouth of the Haunchauke [Pudding] river, running due east to the Rocky mountains," on the west by the Willamette River, and on the south by the Oregon-California border. The remaining two districts were the Clackamas, east of the Willamette and north of the Champoeg District, extending to the northern boundary of the United States and east to the Rockies; and the Yam Hill, south of the Yamhill River, west of the Willamette, and north of California. To call these districts huge would be an understatement. The first district to be carved out of the original four was the Clatsop District, created June 22, 1844.

Wilkes Expedition

Beginnings of Government

One Hundred Years of Regatta

The theme of this year's centennial Regatta is "Then and Now: Looking to the Future." This thoughtful emphasis seems especially apt at this time as Astoria and the lower Columbia River region look to find ways to 'o ve beyond the resource-based dependency that so long has characterized our local economies. The Columbia. River Maritime Museum is proud to salute and support the Astoria Regatta as it grows into its second hundred years of community tradition. We invite you to join in celebrating a century of Regatta. And do plan to come visit us for another look at your Columbia River Maritime Museum.

This year marks the centennial of the As the name implies, the early Regatannual Astoria Regatta. Owing its origins tas were organized around water related to local races between skippers of events. In 1894, four boats qualified for plungers (sailboats that carried the mails) the first Regatta race. The starting line going back as far as the 1870s, the first was off Flavel Dock at the foot of 11th, formal Regatta was organized in 1894. As and the course rounded a buoy a mile described in a column by Vera Gault sev- upriver. The winning entry completed eral years ago in the Daily Astori(ln, the the two-mile course in 25½ minutes. The first Regatta was started somewhat on a next race was for double-scull fishboats lark A casual conversation about boat the now familiar "butterfly fleet" of races at the Astoria Athletic Club was sailing gillnetters and Shoalwater oyster overheard by a reporter who decided sloops, sails spread wing-on-wing before that this sounded like a capital idea. He the wind. In fact, most photos of the fishtook the brainstorm to John Rathom, the ing fleet with sails spread like the wings young editor of the Astorian, who de- of butterflies appear to have been taken dared that a regatta (a fancy name for a during these early Regatta fishboat races. boat race) was just what Astoria needed. The early sailing gillnet boats generally The first Astoria Regatta was timed to used but a single sprit sail, but during the coincide with the end of the commercial Regatta a second sail was spread on a salmon fishing season. (In those days whisker pole opposite the main . Many only the premium spring and summer carried a jib as well. A careful look at the chinook runs were packed and the sea- crews will indicate three and four person ran from May through August.) sons on board each boat, while the fishTracing its origins back a hundred ing was usually done by a crew of no years distinguishes the Astoria Regatta as more than two the first community festival of its kind By 1897, the Astoria Regatta had exin the Pacific Northwest, pre-dating the panded to a four-day festival, replete Portland Rose Festival and other such with royalty. The first Regatta queen was events by several years. However, due to Mrs. C. W. Gosslin, wife of the Regatta the realities of small town life, interrup- chairman, which began a tradition which tions by two world wars, and heavy lasted for several years. Later, the Redependency on volunteer efforts, the cen- gatta queen would be determined by tennial Regatta of 1994 does not actually who sold the most Regatta buttons. mark the 100th annual festival by that Today, the Regatta court is selected from name. During the early years, the Regatta local high school students. Perhaps the depended on individual efforts of com- most splendiferous displays of pomp munity boosters, who seem to have made came during the early years of this cenan annual ritual of calling off the event tury. In 1908, Queen Hattie Wise, daughdue to lack of interest. Most years, others ter of Mayor Herman Wise, wore a gown stepped in with renewed enthusiasm to of brocaded silk with an 8-foot train, take over, but the years 1902 and 1909 handmade lace bodice, and neck with ' passed without the annual celebration. hand-sewn pearls stiffened by whaleThe Great War brought a halt to the bone. By 1913, the Regatta court had annual event, which was not revived grown to 16 princesses, and Admiral during the 1920s. This is believed largely William P. Morgan sported a large auxilto be due to the efforts required to iary staff with military-style titles and an rebuild the town after the catastrophic elaborate command system. fire of 1922, which laid waste to the entire Early Regattas, like those of more redowntown business district of Astoria. cent years, also included parades, festivi-

The members of the Astoria Yacht ties and land events. In 1896, a Chinese Club elected to revive t ht\,Regatta in delegation from , Sat\ Francisco arrived' to 1932, partly as a high ;spcial event, and participate ·tnhe grand land parade with partly, it seems, as a ge neral tonic fqr the a silk drag ~ n requiri g 200 people to ills common to most c9.mmunities during, carry. But for many years, the water the Great Depression~ The year follp w events w ere the p rincipal attrac tion of ing, the Anchor Cl~ R was f uncled to "" -.t he storia JRegatta. Regatta flagships help organize tfie .,festix,al, , and has con each yeat , &rew from the fleets of the tinued to be the Regatta's principal sup- Revenu~ Cutter Service (predecessor to port group since that tirpe. Another hia the U.S . Coast Guard), Light House Estus began in 1942 because of the Second tablishment tenders, and the U.S. Navy. World War. The festival bega.11 again in And boat racing was the highlight of the 1952 and has continued tp the p r'esent. festival each year.

The Museum has a fine collection of racing trophies won by Milton Smith of Rainier, Oregon, during the early years of this century. The display of these trophies sometimes is overlooked because of its location halfway up the mezzanine stairway. Though these particular trophies do not represent Astoria Regatta races, the boats that won them were a regular part of the festivities here. They afford a revealing glimpse into how seriously speedboat racing was taken during the early years of the 20th century. The grandest of all is the "Commodore William Hale Thompson Trophy for the First Boat Making 50 Miles an Hour, Won by Oregon Kid," Chicago, Illinois, 1913.


An article from the August 1915 issue of Pacific Motorboat is representative of this period "For twenty years the annual regatta has been the big boating event that the Pacific Northwest has looked forward to, and with the coming of the speed motor boat the Astoria regatta has taken on added importance. The fastest records made by any speed boats on the Pacific Coast have been made at Astoria, and it is there that the famous Wolff boats, the Milton Smith speeders and many others of lesser speed have made their fastest miles Starting with races in which hundreds of sailing fish boats were the contestants, the regattas have gradually changed till today the motor boats have first place and the sailing races are but a side issue."

"Astoria has always been one of the most hospitable cities on the Pacific, and her citizens unite in giving the visiting motor boat men a fine time from the moment they arrive within the corporate limits. As usual, the program will include many shore events for the entertainment of the yachtsmen this year, and thousands of visitors will doubtless flock to Astoria to see the races in September."

Cecil mentioned Henry Pice, one of the old-timer seine bosses on the river. I believe Henry fished both at Jim Crow and Kaboth grounds at our time. I became acquainted with Henry and his foreman Chris Jensen in the mid '30s. Henry was fishing Kaboth but would pull in the gear before duck season opened around the middle of October. He would tow one of the floats used on the grounds down to Mud Slough in Russian Island and anchor it up for the duck season, which usually ran until January. Jalmer Wilson of the Wilson Shipyard family had a duck shack nearby, as did the North brothers. They were gillnetters out of Scandinavian for the Combine.

Quarterdeck, Vol . 20 No . 3

My,day of huntin k and •working _ o~ the river are my mbst treaiur~1f ri-iem.~ ries. I shall never forget them. For Uiose who have made.a li(elong livelihood, the curtains are being dra.wn to a close. Not only is a livelihood disappearing, but a way of life. I find J!A!?.~ dd¥ning.

"Fishing with Horses on the Columbia three girls. One boy and a girl died durRiver" by Cecil Moberg in the Fall-Win- ing an epidemic before the turn of the ter 1993 Quarterdeck not only gave an century. Granddad fished out of George interesting account for its readers, but and Barker station, foot of 37th Street, also added to the preservation of the his- then became station watchman in retiretory of the once world famous Columbia ment years for the "Combine," officially River salmon industry. the Columbia River Packers Association.


I accompanied Uncle August every Saturday for a weekend hunt out of Henry's float. We would run up to the islands from Scandinavian station towing our duck skiffs behind. (No outboard motors then.) By this time all the seine boats and tenders would be laid up for the winter. We "appropriated" two for our use. One was the Mudhen, the other the Acme. They were used to tow seines at Kaboth and Jim Crow grounds, about 28-footers with two cylinder gas engines of about 15-20 H.P. Management was no doubt aware of our use of comea.ny lfproperty, ( .,qf:-~;but probably f~lt1 Jt was gooq, "employee relations." My 1<;iad was rµnni n g "the Irene for Knappton a v~ g this period and w q rked six dars"°.a , wee~' ibJ!.f. would ~in ,..1,ts l 9 r Sunda;y hunts "" " '

last of the first day's catch. By the time we returned, more fish were caught and piled on top of what we were unable to pick up the day before James Jensen of San Mateo, California, who corresponded in the Spring 1994 Quarterdeck mentioned the cannery at Ellsworth. One fall season we towed the can scow to Ellsworth for their supply of cans, which were made in Astoria . We then picked up gillnet fish at Corbett for delivery to the Ellsworth cannery A small horse seine worked the beach upstream from Corbett. I remember looking up toward the bluff and seeing the Vista House at Crown Point while waiting for the beach crew to finish gathering the fish.

A Way of Life - Now History

by Harold Nelson

The story was very interesting reading Cecil's account of Kaboth Sands for me. As one of many residents of the brought back many memories. Uncle lower Columbia region who found em- August, my dad's brother, spent 45 years ployment in the industry, I was attracted with the Combine as skipper of cannery to the river through a family heritage of tenders and carpenter in off-season at the both gillnetting and fishtraps. Scandinavian boatyard, foot of 50th in

My maternal grandfather Charles Wic- Alderbrook. Johan Peterson was yard ken tended fishtraps for P. J. McGowan foreman and a cousin of Uncle August and Sons at McGowan, Washington, and my dad, Oscar Nelson. shortly after arriving from Finland in the I decked for Uncle August several sea1880s He married a Finnish girl in Port- sons on the tender Astor, which moored land before moving to McGowan. Two at Scandinavian Station. She was powboys and two girls were raised. By hard ered by a 3-cylinder Corliss gas engine of work and thrift he eventually acquired about 50 H.P., a regular "gas hog." Fuel his own trap, which was granted a was pretty cheap in those days. A 3license in 1889. It was located down- cylinder Atlas Imperial diesel of about 75 stream from the McGowan church, which H.P. replaced the Corliss and was someis an historical landmark today and a what more quiet and smooth. reminder of the area's once thriving past. To get back to Kaboth grounds, best I Before traps and seines were eliminated can recall, it was around 1938-39. The fall by Initiative 77 in Washington State in season opened on September 10, having 1934, I spent my summers at McGowan been dosed since August 25th. With no with my grandparents. I accompanied fishing for 15 days, the river would fill my granddad daily to "lift," or remove, up with fish. The Astor's run included the fish from the "spiller" at low water picking up fish at Kaboth . I think Roscoe slack into a lifting skiff In addition to Miles was seine boss The Astor had a this operation was removal of debris, hold capacity of about 22 tons We loadmostly wood, boards, small logs and ed her down with loose fish in the hold junk. In August, hake and eel would en- and on the deck astern of the deckhouse ter the river and become enmeshed in the to the top of the bulwarks. The foredeck web They were messy and of no value. was stacked with boxed fish. Fully loadOccasional mending of the gear was ed we were down to the guards . required. The summer season ran May 1 Delivery was made at the Elmore canthrough August 25, with a closure from 6 nery in Uniontown. After unloading the p.m. Saturday to 6 p.m. Sunday. boxed fish, the Chinese receiving crew, Delivery of the day's catch was made to clad in oilskins and rubber boots, would the receiving dock at McGowan and in come aboard with pikes (called "pughs") later years to the receiving scow of Chi- to load the fish into a hinged box lowered nook Packing Company, first anchored at on top of the loose fish. Capacity was Megler, later moved downstream from around 600 lbs The box was slung on a Pt. Ellice. The cove below Megler was an steel cable, run through a block on the anchorage for several cannery scows. outer end of a boom which was pivoted :J'his saved the gillnetter hours of running out over the tender . The box was raised ~ P,1e. Rather than run back to the cannery to dock level and swung inward. The ~o.r: delivery, he could anchor near his hin~ed ,J' i~e opened, al}owt~~ the fish to drift-,., cook up a meal and grab a few spill.Y'A Chinese fo~m,an .called "Dog" lwinks of rest. "Hungry tiarbor" was a was a lori g-thne lo'x,fl an<;f re~ ected avorite anchorage jus t abovt( ,M~gler. ......, .employ~e. Among Hie -tenders were the My paternal grandfather followed c1 · CRPA, the D"ielffess, and the Leader. Broth!Similar path fro i:rt Sweden. He jumped ers Charlie and Fred Soderberg and Bill ship as a seaman on !! sailing ship docked ' Bergman skippered those boats ••The in .Portland. After m J rrying in Portland, Diehless still operates in Astoria. he a d his wife move(). to Astoria where This particular year was really a [they :taised a family of four b<?xs and, •. booP!er ) _! took three days to pick up the

PERINA I. DEPOLO Vera Mark Mr. & Mrs . Robert Cordiner Dorothy Danielson Karen Radich & Carl Hagnas Mr. & Mrs. George E. Siverson Mr. & Mrs. Howard Hedrick Janice Burdett Astoria Emblem Club 387 John & Louise Hendrickson Eldon & Betty Korpela Rita & Eldon Tietze Dennis & Karen Larson Mr. & Mrs. William L. Vernon Vicky Lietzke Culkins

INDIVIDUAL David Armstrong Clarence Barendse Mimi Groom Norma Hebert Sarah Lichtenwalner Edward A. Niemi James M. Petrich

Captain & Mrs. James T Clune LTC & Mrs Victor L.

Hugh Sage Alan D. Robitsch

The W.R. Turners

Mr. & Mrs Richard K. Jackson Karen Radich Mr. & Mrs. Andrew D Carlson Mr. & Mrs Einar Lovvold Bob & Pat Hjorten Georgena Calhoun BOB CHILCOTT Kevin & Nikki Miller Beatrice W. Bergey Carlene & Warren Suzuki Mr. & Mrs . Robert Paschall Mr. & Mrs. Robert E. Frame Oregon City School Secretaries Paula T. Morrow Lenore Reynolds Mr. & Mrs. Ken Lampi Mt. Pleasant Elementary School

Judge & Mrs. Thoma s E. Edison


VERNON H. CROSS Gordon & Darlene Story Mr. & Mrs. Graham J. Barbey Mr & Mrs. Clarence Ahlberg Ruby K. Smith Mr & Mrs. Chris Thompson Donald & Edith Helligso Mr. & Mrs. George Backman Beatrice White Mr & Mrs. Carl R. Hertig Robert & Signe Backman

Mr. & Mrs . Eugene C. Peterson George & Patricia Heiner

Bruce Norris Maxine E. Ondricek

Mr. & Mrs. Gordon Wolfgram Joan Stoddard

Debra Forte

Captain & Mrs. Joseph Bruneau Andy & Barbara Klein Francis Sikes Ken Nault

Mr. & Mrs Joe D. Miller

Mr & Mrs George E. Siverson Trygve & Aini Duoos Joe & Lucille Easley

FAMILY Linda J. Cheuvront

Mr. & Mrs Roderick Sarpola Elsa Simonsen

Mr & Mrs Sven B. Lund

CAPTAIN W. Dean Kendall

OLEHEDFORD Trygve & Aini Duoos Clara Grotting Ed Niemi Oil Company

PILOT Jay Barber Samuel E. Johnson John Valliant Dotti Wilson


Joanna S Wilson

Alan & Lois Ahola Dave & Shirley Lum Evelyn Stoddard

Mr. & Mrs Gordon Wolfram

Mr. & Mrs . Herman M. Haggren

Sam H . Lee

Increased Memberships - January 1 - March 31, 1994

FAMILY Kent & Caroline Rogers Morris & Carol Lillich Milton & Dorothy Lundahl


Bruce Smith C. E. & Donna L. Timmons Rudd Turner Mr . & Mrs. Ken Ward

Mr & Mrs Robert Chopping Englund Marine Supply Co , Inc Alan & Lois Ahola

Mr. & Mrs. Evan T. Bash Mr. & Mrs. Victor W Horgan Nolan & Kay Murrell

Mr. & Mrs John E. Griffith

ELSENSOHN Mr. & Mrs. James W. Spence Opal Jones Torn & Eleanor Weeter

Darrell & Carole Wolfe Elsa Simonsen

Dan Pence Ray Raskin Fawn Richardson Susan Rossiter & Alan Ashenberner Chuck Slape

Mr. & Mrs. George Abrahamsen

Mr. & Mrs. James W. Davis Mr . & Mrs. Robert M. Fletcher Paul Tolonen Lauren Arena

Mike Elstad Lee & Jean Harper Mr. & Mrs Howard Hermanson Paul Hoffman Max & Rhonda Husbeck Richard Kirkland Lori Leach & Brian Powers Don & Rosalee MacRae Kelly B. & Mary E. McDerrnitt Dallas & Sheryl Murphy

Mr & Mrs. Ernest J. Barrows Mr. & Mrs. Eric A. Hauke, Sr. Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Kairala

Mr & Mrs Harry L. Larson

The Yost Family Virginia Goodrich

New Members -January 1- March 31, 1994

Robert & Bernice Moore


Memorial Donations - January 1 - March 31, 1994


The Rev . & Mrs. Mark H. Butler Betsy Priddy

Mr . & Mrs. Nicholas D. MARIE E. BACKMAN Mr. & Mrs. Charles W. Haglund Mr. & Mrs. Howard Landon Zafiratos Mr. & Mrs. Michael P. Heniges G. John Haglund Mr. & Mrs. Don W. Landwehr


Captain Bob Johnson Michael Haglund


Mr. & Mrs Donald A Kessler


George & Helen Blinco Arnold C. Petersen Lars M Gjovik Walter E. Larson

Mr. & Mrs. Frank M. Thorsness The Family of Margaret L. Donald V. Riswick Mr. & Mrs. Harold C. Hendriksen J. Dan Webster Anderson Mr. & Mrs Melvin Hjorten Mr. & Mrs. Melvin Hjorten


Arnold & Erica Curtis Mary E. Catlin Mr . & Mrs James Porter Holtz

Virginia & Bob Kearney Carol La Follette


HARVEY HART Lars M Gjovik bouise Frernstad

Mr. & Mrs. James M. Keane William & Sara Orr

Paul & Rena Reimers Mr & Mrs Gordon Wolfgram Elsie C. Osterlund

YOUTH Mathew Benjamin Lake Miller


Jack Chadsey

LAWSON A. STEVENSON Captain & Mrs. James T. Clune Mr. & Mrs. Alf E. Dahl

The National Society of Colonial Dames of America Columbia River Bar Pilots Mr. & Mrs. Ward Cook

Mr & Mrs. Gordon Wolfgram Elsa Simonsen

PATRICIA ANNE SIMONSEN Mr. & Mrs Fleming Wilson Andrew & Steve's Bob & Pat Hjorten Don & Wini Doran Donald & Nancy Hoff Don & Renay Patterson Thelma Rundel Dorothy 0. Soderberg Mr & Mrs Wallace Martens Anna Asikainen Mr. & Mrs. Richard K. Jackson Mr. & Mrs. Charles Mestrich, Sr. Mr. & Mrs. Harold C. Hendriksen Ellen M. Peterson

AS A MEMBER OF THE COLUMBIA RIVER MARITIME MUSEUM 0 Youth Individual Family D Supporting $10 per year $15 per year $25 per year $50 per year D Sustaining Pilot Captain D Commodore $100 per year $250 per year $1,000 per year $5,000 per year Name _ _ Mailing Address _______________ City __ State _____.Zip _ _ 11

LEONA A PERKINS Ron & Emma Sivers Mr. & Mrs. John E. Rippet Mr. & Mrs Arnold C. Swanson Bill & Madonna Pitman Margaret Morrison Merrill & Rita Ginn Seaside Unit A. C. B L. Mary Ristola Mr. & Mrs. Ernest J . Barrows Jack & Barbara Foster Mr & Mrs. Donald W. Landwehr, Sr.

Mr . & Mrs. Ernest J. Barrows

Seaside Unit A. C. B L. Merrill & Rita Ginn





Barbara Minard

Mr & Mrs. Jack L. Keeler Mr. & Mrs. Jack Swynenburg Joseph E. & Gwynn Bakkensen Mr & Mrs. Billy Isom Mr . & Mrs . Hugh A. Seppa Ed Luoma

RUBY E. SHEETS Mr. & Mrs. Ernest E. Brown Beatrice J. Smith

Mr. & Mrs. John S. McGowan Ted Natt Howard Rosenfeld Special Districts Association of Oregon

HONEYMAN FAMILY MEMORIAL Catherine Honeyman Engmark Mrs A. Alan Honeyman

KEITH JOHNSON Jim & Curie O'Connor

CAPTAIN EDGAR A. QUINN Captain & Mrs. Joseph Bruneau STANLEY W. RICHARDSON Mel Emberland

Ada McKee

Mr & Mrs. Charles E. Hansen

Mr. & Mrs. George Crandall Mr. & Mrs. Dick Thompson Mr. & Mrs. Gene A. Hill David & Erin Hearn

Lucille Lawrence Perkins


Pat Samuelson

Quarterdeck, Vol. 20 No. 3


Mr. & Mrs. Ralph Long Mr. & Mrs. Carl R. Hertig Mr. & Mrs. Richard C. Paulsen Mr. & Mrs. Eric A. Hauke, Sr. Dr. & Mrs. Persh Blake

Mr. & Mrs. Thomas R. Dyer Mr. & Mrs. Jon Englund James H. Jensen

ELLEN T RISWICK Georgia Maki Hank Ramvick John & Carmel Kemmerer Mr. & Mrs. Harry L. Larson Mr. & Mrs V. A. Manners Mr. & Mrs George E Siverson Mr & Mrs. Clarence 0. Dreyer Mr. & Mrs. Chris Thompson Astoria Post Office

BASEL WILLIAMSON Russell & Janis Hanson Robert & Sheryl Ginn Bernice I. Baker

Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Chan Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Kairala

Mr. & Mrs. Ernest J. Barrows 0. W. & Louise Beasley Dr. & Mrs. Robert D. Neikes

W. B. 'MONTY' MONTGOMERY Lucille Lawrence Perkins

Mr & Mrs. Richard E Cameron & Family


Mr. & Mrs. Andrew D. Carlson Bill & Madonna Pitman

DoROTHY HELEN PREBISH Florence A. Hansen Ross Petersen Lois Searle Ethel Stuckrath Mr. & Mrs. Charles E. Hansen Jim & Pat Corkill

RUBEN T. Ross Mr. & Mrs. Don M. Haskell

Mr & Mrs. Robert E. Frame

WAYNE STAPLES Justine VanSickle & Gary Mott

ADALINE SVENSON Mr & Mrs. George E Siverson Mr & Mrs Daniel Stephan Harvey Larson Dorothy R. Mickelson

Dr. & Mrs . Jeffrey M. Leinassar Dr. & Mrs Dennis Klemp Grace & Kelly Larson

RALPH EUGE NE LARSON Alice Knudsen Ethel M. Berry Trygve & Aini Duoos Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Kairala Dorothy Labiske Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Carlson

George & Helen Blinco

Maggie Witty

Mr. & Mrs. Charles Farmer


Mr. & Mrs. Charles Wilson


Mr. & Mrs. Eugene Knutsen Laura T. Schroeder



The Moberg Family Donald V. Riswick Mr & Mrs George E. Siverson

BETTYTAKKO 0. W. & Louise Beasley

Lisa Ross

Alice M. Harvey


Mr. & Mrs David R. Brooks Bill & Nancy Tynkila


Sign On!

ARTHUR C. JOHNSON Donald V. Riswick


Special Donations


WILLIAM C. PALMBERG, SR Captain & Mrs James T. Clune

Donna Hitchman, Melara, Jay, Kim &Carey Mr. & Mrs . Max C. Bigby, Sr. Donna Gustafson Bank of Astoria

Frank A. Bauman Peter J. Brix Mr & Mrs. Ernest Brown Mr. & Mrs. Allen V. Cellars



Captain & Mrs. Joseph Bruneau

EUGENE S MOORE Mr. & Mrs. Robert E Frame

Mr. & Mrs. Harry L. Larson Marguerite S. Moyer

Marietta Doney, Jonathan Taggart, Hampton Scudder, and Rachel Wynne carry the Museum's work skiff down the 17th Street pier to set up the slalom course for last year's Row-In. The annual event draws enthusiasts from all parts of the region for a day of human-powered boating on the Columbia River.


Please note: All participants and boats must be registered. For more information and registration information, contact Rachel Wynne at the Museum, (503) 325-2323. See you on the water!

Row-In on the Lower Columbia August 28th



Time to polish your kayak, practice your paddle, mend your sails, and fit out your boat for the annual Lower Columbia Row-In. This onthe-water event will be staged from the 17th Street pier, and a fine time is guaranteed for all! Plan to join us on Sunday, August 28th for a day of family fun on the water.

Bring a picnic lunch beverages will be provided by the Museum. And don't forget your PFDs. Each participant is required to have and wear an appropriate flotation device.

Events will include a children's race, a slalom event, a long and short course, and a race just for kayaks.


Non-profit Organization U.S. POSTAGE PAID Astoria, Oregon Permit No. 328

Calling all mariners and non-motorized craft!

Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.