V16 N3 They Don't Have to Come Back

Page 1

They Don't Have to Con1e Back

When Murray walked into the Columbia River Maritime Museum a few weeks ago, it was as if he had seen an apparition. Visiting the Museum that day was Larry Edwards' son. Blaine Edwards so

(continued on page 2/

the UARTERDECK Vol. 16 No. 3 Spring 1990

Coast Guardsmen are required to respond to every maritime distress signal along this rough stretch, no matter what weather or time of day. They have saved countless numbers of vessels and lives, an average of 600 persons a year on the lower Columbia alone. They are ordinary men who take extraordinary risks in small boats and aircraft. Most of the time they get back safely, but sometimes their luck runs out.

A review and newsletter from the Columbia River Maritime Museum at 1792 Marine Drive in Astoria, Oregon

Columbia River bar claimed the lives of five Coast Guardsmen and the two fishermen they attempted to rescue. Three Coast Guard vessels were lost, along with the fishing boat they had set out to save from gale-stricken seas

Earlier this Spring, two men who survived that ill-fated rescue visited Astoria. Darrel Joseph Murray and Larry Edwards were Coast Guard coxswains of two of the three rescue boats that sank on January 12, 1961. The coxswain of the third boat died in the attempt, along with most of his crew. Their visits reawakened many memories, and prompted the retelling of their story

closely resembles his father as a young man that Murray thought for a moment he was in the presence of his old friend, looking just as he did three decades ago.

Murray has never forgotten that night in 1961. Even after 20 years spent in the Coast Guard in motor lifeboat stations, the disaster continues to affect and define his life The events of that evening began late in the afternoon of January 12 with a distress call from the fishing boat Mermaid, received by the Cape Disappointment Lifeboat Station just inside the mouth of the Columbia River on the Washington side. The Mermaid, of Ilwaco, Washington, had lost her rudder trying to beat into the river ahead of a storm, and was drifting helplessly toward the surf north of Peacock Spit.

Classic photo of U.S.C.G. 36-foot motor lifeboat breaching wave. 82.50

The Columbia River bar is the place where the River of the West and the mighty Pacific Ocean meet, with dramatic and sometimes violent results. Hundreds of ships and boats have been lost on the bar Sailors and fishermen have lost their lives by the score Mariners call it the "Graveyard of the Pacific."

One night almost 30 years ago, the

They Don't Have to Come Back

Volume 16 No. 3

from the Wheelhouse

Photo Credits: U S C.G. photos, pages 1, 3 , from CRMM archives; U.S.C G. Cutter Iris, page 4, and buoy tending, page 5, courtesy of the crew of the Iris; U S C.G photo , page 6, from Silent Siege II, by Bert Webber; Tongue Point Buoy Depot, page 8, from CRMM archives; Andy Cier, page 9. Printed at Anchor Graphics, Astoria, Oregon years of service

The Triumph was a 25-year veteran of numerous rescues in all types of weather at the Columbia River bar. She was wooden-hulled, one of only two boats of the same design, built in 1935. The man at the helm that night was Boatswain's Mate John L. Culp, a 31 year old career Coast Guardsman who was considered an excellent lifeboat commander By the time Culp left the Point Adams station,

The QUARTERDECK is published four times a year by the Columbia River Maritime Museum, 1792 Marine Dr, Astoria, OR 97103.

Semper Paratus

Jerry L. Ostermiller, Editor. Editorial Staff: Anne Witty, Rachel Wynne, Andy C i er, Hobe Kytr, Michael Paul Mccusker.

. • •

1990 marks the 200th birthday of one of the most vital of maritime services, the United States Coast Guard. To most of us the Coast Guard is no stranger. Search-and-rescue operations, involving the familiar cutters, helicopters, and motor surfboats, reassure us that we are never alone as we work or play aboard ships and small boats. However, the motto "Semper Paratus" (Always Ready) requires of the Coast Guard multiple missions not always as apparent or as glamorous as search and rescue Today's Coast Guard is a complex organization heavily committed to programs such as aids to navigation, boating safety, marine inspection, defense operations, environmental response, ice operations, mari t ime law enforcement, marine li censing, port safety and security, marine science, and waterways management.

During your visit to the Museum, as you and your friends take advantage of this year's unique slate of Coast Guardrelated programs, be sure to take time to appreciate our newly expanded parking lot One of our dreams was realized re cently with the final removal of the old trailer court, which allowed us to create another 100 parking spaces for our friends and visitors 11 Semper Paratus!"


Murray, a boatswain's mate described as a petty offic er of long experience and established competence in lifeboat stations, quickly dispatched two boats ''I sent Larry Edw a rds out in a 36-foot boat and I took a 40-foot boat,'' Murray said recently during his visit to CRMM. The solid and sturdy, but slow, 36-foot boat was the standard motor lifeboat used by the Coast Guard at the time It was con structed of wood and was capable of righting itself if capsized. The 40-footer did not have that capability. Not meant to be used as a lifeboat, it generally served as a utility and patrol craft. ''The 40 footer was not designed for rough water, but it was faster than the 36-footer," Murray explained. "I thought I could get out there and get a towline to the Mermaid before it hit the beach, and turn the tow over to Larry when he H:.1d1tJ me."

What happened instead was that the weather, bad to begin with, continued to get worse. Unable to establish direct radio contact with the Mermaid, Murray lost valuable time searching for the fishing vessel. Neither of the Coast Guard boats had radar. T he Tana fa, a fishing boat from Ilwaco skippered by Roy Gun nary, assisted by relaying the Mermaid's calls It was after dark before Murray was able to ta l k directly to the Mermaid. ''I told them to turn their spotlight on the clouds," Murray said. "I spotted them immediately after that . When I reached the boat, I told the two men aboard they should transfer to my boat. They refused, so we took them under tow."



Edwards in the 36 foot boat finally reached the other two vessels near Buoy 1, which marks the beginning of the shipping channel into the river. His boat had taken a beating crossing the bar. It was leaking at the seams and the radio antenna was broken. He did not take over the tow. Plans had changed due to the worsening weather. The 52 foot motor lifeboat Triumph from Point Adams on the Oregon side of the river was coming out to take the Mermaid in

(continued from page 1}

With this issue of the Quarterdeck, the Columbia River Maritime Museum celebrates 200 years of Coast Guard service Michael McCusker's gripping inter pretation of the ill-fated attempt to rescue the fishing vessel Mermaid will undoubtedly enhance your awareness of the very real risks involved with search and rescue operations. Hobe Kytr's in side look at daily operations aboard the Coast Guard buoy tender Iris expands our understanding of the ''behind the scenes" heroes who work tirelessly to ensure the safest and most reliable inland and coastal waterways. And rounding out this issue is a time-capsule glimpse of the Coast Guard "beach pounders" on the Northwest Coast during World War II, written by Rachel Wynne.

We invite each of you to visit the Mu seum and to bring your friends to see our series of special exhibits and demonstrations throughout the 1990 season. In the Great Hall we are featuring a series of traveling exhibits from the Coast Guard

Jerry L. Ostermiller Executive Director

Art Program, showing current operations in original paintings. Videos provided by the Coast Guard showing training, rescue missions, and daily operations are being shown every day. A modern 30 foot MSB (motor surf boat), capable of speeds up to 30 knots, and two 5-ton lighted navigation buoys are available for inspection on the plaza. Finally, visiting Coast Guard vessels will be holding "open house" at our pier facilities as their work schedules permit throughout the summer.

one of the fishermen was found a few days later.

U.S.C.G. 40-foot utility boat.

A plaque to the memory of the lost crew of the Triumph was placed near the Point Adams Lifeboat Station in Hammond (closed in 1967 because it was deemed too far upriver from where it was most needed) . John Culp, coxswain of the Triumph, received a posthumous Gold Lifesaving Medal, the Coast Guard's highest award. His crew received Silver Lifesaving Medals, four of them awarded posthumously. Larry Edwards, surviving coxswain of the 36-footer lost that night, received a Gold Lifesaving Medal for his role in rescuing the crew of the 40-foot utility boat .

The disaster shocked residents of the small towns on the lower Columbia. Local newspapers questioned the quality uf Llie CuabL Gua1u'b 1ebcue uafL. A three-day inquiry was held and all survivors provided details of what had happened that night. The irony of the situation was that change was already in progress A 44-foot all-steel motor lifeboat capable of 360-degree rolls was going into production to replace the 36-footers. (The 44-footers, which have been called the best lifesaving craft ever developed, are now about to be succeeded in turn by a new class of 47-foot aluminum motor lifeboats.)

four miles upriver from the bar, gale winds from the southwest had whipped up huge swells. The Triumph did not reach the other three boats at Buoy 1 until two hours later. Culp took over the tow of the Mermaid from Murray All four vessels started toward the river

Alaska ferry system. A few weeks after Murray's unexpected arrival in Astoria, Edwards visited his son, Blaine, a fisherman from Ilwaco. Asked about the subject of the Triumph disaster, he respondeJ Lhat he haJ been off-duty waiting fo1 a friend when the Mermaid's call for help was received at Cape Disappointment He said that it was "dumb luck" that he had seen Murray's capsized boat in the darkness and storm. He remembered seeing the Triumph with the Mermaid in tow starting across the bar just after his crew rescued Murray's from the capsized 40-footer. No one now living saw the Triumph sink. Edwards said he chose to head out to sea in the direction of the lightship because he was afraid his battered lifeboat would not survive crossing the bar. He drove it full-throttle through mountainous seas because of his concern that the sputtering engine of the 36-footer would quit. As he said during his recent visit, "I never thought about not making it."

In the meantime, the Mermaid, still afloat, was taken into tow once again by another 36-foot boat sent from Point Adams to assist in the rescue. The 36-footer's coxswain also set out for the lightship, but lost the Mermaid to a large swell that capsized the fishing vessel, killing the three men aboard two brothers, and a survivor from the Triumph they had pulled from the water

Darrel Murray, coxswain of the 40footer, received a Commendation Medal for his part in the ill-fated rescue. He made a 20-year career of the Coast Guard . His recent visit to Astoria and CRMM was prompted by the haunting memory of that night. He is currently planning a 30-year reunion for the survivors, to be held at the Museum on January 12, 1991.

Then everything went wrong at once . Murray's boat capsized trying to cross the bar. A few minutes later, the Triumph went over while attempting to retrieve a parted towline to the Mermaid Culp and four of his men were lost. Only one member of the crew of the Triumph survived, later washing ashore unharmed.

Despite the storm, more Coast Guard vessels and aircraft searched for the missing men the rest of the night and into the next day Flares were dropped. Shore parties combed both sides of the river. Only two bodies were ever found Culp's body came ashore near Cape Disappointment later that night, close to where his surviving crew member, Gordon Huggins, had beached The body of

After another hour of plowing fullthrottle through the storm, the 36-foot boat piloted by Larry Edwards only barely reached the Lightship Columbia. The stern was awash, the engine room half full of water and rudder control almost gone. Edwards circled the lightship for nearly two hours in an attempt to transfer the men. Knowing time was running out, he finally managed to come alongside. One member of his crew was swept from the Jacob's ladder by a wave, only to be snatched again from the water by the chief engineer on the lightship as he rose on the crest of another wave As the last man's foot left the 36-footer, she broke her lines and sank from sight the only 36-foot motor lifeboat ever lost by the Coast Guard in over seven decades of service.


Larry Edwards also spent 20 years in the Coast Guard. He now works for the

The Lightship Columbia, which figures prominently in this story, was retired in 1979 after nearly 30 years of service with the Coast Guard. Today the vessel is on display at the Columbia River Maritime Museum, and is now designated as a National Historic Landmark Visitors explore her deck and interior at her quiet berth at Astoria's 17th Street Pier, where often the Cutter Resolute is alongside. But for Darrel Murray, seeing the Lightship Columbia once again at the Museum brought a release of 30 years of emotion. A strong man with tears in his eyes, he gave silent meaning to the old Coast Guard saying, ''You must always go out, but you don't have to come back ''

-Michael Paul Mccusker

Quarterdeck, Vol. 16 No. 3

Murray and his two-man crew survived only because of Edwards' quick thinking. His boat was near Murray's when it overturned. Responding to the 40-footer, Edwards smashed against the keel of the other boat during the rescue of the three men. He turned his battered lifeboat out to sea and headed for the lightship Columbia, anchored on station about seven miles outside the river entrance.


I had the privilege recently of being a guest on board one of the finest examples of the Coast Guard's hardworking 180foot seagoing tenders. The Iris (WLB395 ), an "Iris" 1180 [CJ) Class coastwise tender, was launched on May 18, 1944 by the Zenith Dredge Co of Duluth. Originally assigned to the 8th District and stationed in Galveston, Texas, the Iris was transferred to Astoria in 1972 to replace the Cactus, which had been extensively damaged after grounding on a

Flower of the Working Man's Coast Guard


Search and rescue operations and heavy weather lifesaving enjoy the repu tation of being daring and courageous. Lighthouses, lonely though they may be, are shrouded in mystery and romance. But public perceptions of buoy tending and maintaining aids to navigation are that the work is, well, necessary not often the stuff of headlines. However, as in the old aphorism, an ounce of preven tion is worth the pound of cure. The work done by the crews of the Coast Guard's "black ships" ensure there are not more headlines telling dread tales of ships and men gone to their graves. And to do the work, buoy tenders and their crews routinely go where no mariner in his right faculties would willingly go: onto shoals, hard upon reefs, and into all sorts of hazardous waters where the dangers warrant being marked by an aid to navigation

''It gets real interesting when you're out on the bar working a 10x39 10 feet in beam and 39 feet from counterweight to focal plane of the light , '' says Bosun Haugen. "To begin with, it weighs lOY2 tons. It's so big that the light's hanging outboard on the starboard side and the counterweight's hanging off the port side . You've got 18 tons of sinker hanging off to port, a couple shots of chain hauled up, the ship's heeled over, and there are waves washing over the deck. You can get crushed or washed overboard in an instant . That's what we call routine off the Columbia.''

Much of the equipment and configuration of the Iris date from its construction in 1944 It is still powered by twin 8 cylinder Cooper-Bessimer diesels driving a 1200 shaft h p Westinghouse electric motor. Habitation facilities were renovated in 1973, but the ship's most significant alterations occurred as a result of an engine room fire and resulting power

submerged portion of the Grays Harbor south jetty. Since 1985 when budget cuts forced the decommission of the Astoria based White Bush, the Iris has been the sole seagoing tender maintaining aids to navigation along the Coasts of Oregon and Washington from Cape Flattery to the California-Oregon border. The crew members of the Iris are justifiably proud of their work The Iris is responsible for maintaining 119 lighted, 18 unlighted, and 14 seasonal buoys along the rough lee shore of the North Pacific, an area which, explained Chief Boatswain's Mate Dave L'Orange, is on the receiving end of wave and storms generated across the largest open reach of ocean in the world. Routine conditions off the Columbia bar in particular are considered too hazardous to work in by most tenders on other stations.

we use 9-ton sinkers, and on the Columbia bar, two of them often are not enough " To illustrate his point, he related the recent history of Buoy 10, swept off station twice in the last three years once on the eve of the popular Buoy 10 sport salmon fishery , where it marks the outer limit of the legal fishing zone It disappeared without a trace And that was during the summer.

''The Iris sets the standard against which all other tenders are measured, 11 asserts Warrant Boatswain's Mate Jim Haugen of the Iris Asked if he concurred with that assessment, Lt Cmdr. Richard Lang replied, "Absolutely. We go out to work in the roughest conditions We handle more big buoys than any other tender. Buoys on this stretch of the Northwest Coast are the largest anywhere in the world. The heaviest sinker used to hold a buoy on station in other parts of the country weighs 6 tons. Here

The Iris in her element. Photo provided by the U.S.C.G. Cutter Iris.


loss in April, 1980. The Iris was heeled over while working a buoy on the Umpqua River bar when a sneaker wave broke over the port quarter, washed down the ventilators and into the engine room, shorting the switchboard and setting fire to the W.W. II technology propulsion control system. The 8-ton buoy the crew had been attempting to place was swinging wildly about and banging the superstructure, smashing a sizable hole in the bridge. A loose 9-ton sinker was sliding around on deck . Completely disabled in 12 foot waves, the vessel drifted onto a shoal, and was in danger of being lost. Eventually towed to safety in Seal Harbor by the commercial tug Umpqua, the Iris required a tow back to Astoria by the Sause Bros. seagoing tug Powhattan. Laid up in Portland for 18 months, the Iris was extensively overhauled by Zidell Explorations, during which time new computer prqpulsion control units were installed.

Coast Guard buoy tenders, classified as cutters, are also on constant standby

for search and rescue operations. On one occasion it was the heavy lifting capabilities of the Iris that saved the day for a fishing boat in distress on the Columbia bar. The Clara B was rapidly taking on water. The Iris, working a buoy nearby, responded by retrieving not only the fisherman, but the boat as well, hoisting it in a sling from the boom. "Just doing our job," stated the crew. The fisherman later commented that the phrase assumes more personal meaning when the life and livelihood saved are your own.

Quarterdeck, Vol. 16 No. 3

"This is the working man's Coast Guard," states Lt. Gregg Stewart, Executive Officer of the Iris. "And you won't find any work more interesting or more satisfying on a day to day basis than what we do anywhere in the Service.'' And a difficult and dangerous job it is, too, requiring skill and tremendous practical know-how. Here's to the men and women of the United States Coast Guard's black ships. Others may grab the headlines when called upon to save lives Keeping people out of trouble in the first place is how buoy tender crews earn their daily bread.

Setting a buoy takes precision, teamwork, and constant attention to safety. Hours of preparation to set this Umpqua River bar buoy culminate in an intense minute and a half in which 9-tons of sinker whip 180 feet of mooring chain off the deck, and the buoy is swung over the side and set in place.


On-board computer capability in part accounts for the ability of the Iris to cover a territory once serviced by three buoy tenders. All the variables for the maintenance schedules for over 150 buoys are entered into the computer by the Bosun, who is in charge of developing an overall plan for managing the work in logical clusters for each given locale. But the greatest increase in efficiency is probably due to improved buoy gear. Expanded use of photo-voltaic solar panels and rechargeable batteries, for instance, has meant up to a six-fold increase in the time between overhauling batteries on some lighted buoys. "The solar panels, especially when combined with wave generators driven by air trapped in the tube under the buoy on choppy days, extends the maintenance schedule on river buoys quite a bit," explained Warrant Engineering Officer Dave Johnson. Chief Johnson, a man of tremendous practical knowledge, has a keen appreciation for ingenious solutions to small but vexing problems. One innovation he greatly admires is the patent boat hook (' 'happy hooker'') now used to snap a line onto a buoy quickly and easily in preparation for hoisting on board. The old procedure was a tedious process of maneuvering a line through the buoy's lifting bail, then retrieving the end, which necessitated reaching with a regular boat hook while hanging precariously over the side. ''It used to be a royal pain to do that," he said. "Now it's easy. Works the first time every time,'' except, of course, on the occasion he made his boast.

One of the more memorable assignments in the career of the Iris came when it was called upon to assist in raising a 41-foot Coast Guard utility boat which sank on the Columbia bar in November, 1977. No. 41332 was on a night navigational training tour from Cape Disappointment with ten aboard when caught by a 15-20 foot wave near Buoy 14. Flipping over at 6:20 p.m., the boat was pulled out to sea by a strong ebb tide to the vicinity of the lightship. Three men were missing. Two were believed still trapped on board when No. 41332 went down in 300 feet of water. The Iris and White Bush were on the scene of the sinking, but were unable to prevent it. Two weeks later, a deep drone submersible was deployed unsuccessfully after the White Bush located No. 41332 with her side-mounted sonar gear. For the next two months, the Iris and the fabled

Astoria salvage tug Salvage Chief worked to raise the lost boat, but were turned away by one storm after another. Finally a Navy submarine rescue vessel, the U.S.S. Pigeon, was called in a year and a half later. The effort to raise No. 41332 required the Iris to come to the assistance of the Pigeon while a 6-man self contained diving capsule went down to the bottom to secure a purchase on the boat. At one point, the Iris was required to turn about within the Pigeon's anchor chains, earning a rare interservice accolade for her ''magnificent ship handling efforts" from the Navy commander. As feared, when No. 41332 finally broke the surface in June, 1979, the bodies of the two men were found on board.

As of February 3, 1941, all coastal areas had been organized into divisions known as Coastal Frontiers. On November 1, 1941, the United States Coast Guard was transferred from the Treasury Department to the Department of the Navy as


Back on the beach, patrol units of two men covered "beats" of up to two miles They were armed with rifles or sidearms and equipped with flashlights and Very pistols (flare guns). In some areas where mounted patrols were utilized, the men carried portable radio receiver-trans-

Washington and Oregon were divided into three sectors: the Port Angeles sector from Cape Flattery to Cape Elizabeth; the Astoria sector, from Cape Elizabeth to Cascade Head; and the Coos Bay sector, running from Cascade Head to the California border. This coastline pro-

Men, Horses, and Dogs: Northwest Beach Pounders of World War II

an organizational move. This merger was to last for the duration of the war .

Rendezvous of patrols along the Northwest Coast

Patrolling the rugged coastline of the Pacific Northwest is nothing new to the men of the United States Coast Guard. During the late 19th century, surfmen in the Life Saving Service were accustomed to countless hours of walking the shore. They kept a sharp lookout for ships in distress or for victims of sea disasters washed ashore in the night During the day, the ever-ready surfmen scanned the waters from surveillance towers that held no chair to tempt the men to relax their vigil. After nightfall and in foul weather they walked five or more miles between check points to key-in their patrol clocks and prove that the round had been completed.

In 1915 the United States Life Saving Service and the United States Customs Service were merged together to form what is now known as the United States Coast Guard. When America's entrance into World War II seemed imminent, the Coast Guard organized a small scale beach patrol by stepping up surveillance of the coastlines in September of 1939

In the Northwest region, the Coast Guard had already begun to establish lookout posts. Ten lighthouses along the Oregon and Washington coastline were already set up with 12-inch signal lights and a 24-hour system of surveillance. Once again a manned beach patrol became an important activity.

In 1942, a year after the United States entered the war, German Nazi saboteur units landed on two stretches of beach on the Atlantic Seaboard One unit landed on Long Island in New York State and another further south at Ponte Verde in Florida. Fortunately, they were discovered and apprehended. This hostile action prompted the War Department to make the Navy and the Army responsible for safeguarding the coastlines, or Sea Frontiers as they were now known. The Army guarded the land, while the Navy patrolled the inshore and offshore waters

vided some of the most ruggedly dangerous terrain and inhospitable climate found in the United States. The isolation of some locations and their relative inaccessibility by road presented unique problems in supplying the ''beach pounders" with food, clothing and much-needed rest. The challenge, however, was met. By early 1943, a complete linkup of shore and offshore patrols was in full operation and the entire Oregon/ Washington coastline was under continuous observation.

Since it was the Navy's job to observe marine traffic, enemy activity, and all suspicious vessels off the coast, the Coast Guard was given the additional job of watching the local small craft operating in home waters. Some fishing boats and pleasure craft had already been commandeered for coastal patrol duties. The Coast Guard issued I.D. to fishermen and other boatmen, and continued to be responsible for the rescue of survivors of marine disasters

Because beach patrol work was often unpleasant and (more often) tedious in its uneventfulness, cooperation and morale needed to be high. The men chosen for it were carefully screened for even temperament, physical endurance, and later for their skills in animal husbandry to aid in the handling of dogs and horses. Districts often chose their patrol units from local communities. These men were familiar with the area geography and held a personal interest in guarding their own In the more inacces sible regions the men often were on duty for l ong periods of time. With supplies at a minimum and comfort scarce, the feel ing of obligation to duty and country guided the men and made the Beach Patrol a success.

mitters, compasses, whistles, rifles and pistols. If a patrol failed to report at the designated time, then an immediate in vestigation of their absence was carried out.

The success of the Beach Patrol cannot be measured by the interception of any major enemy infiltration or deflection of enemy attack. Its measure is in the fact that no recorded major incident ever occurred. The effectiveness of the Coast Guard Beach Patrol in maintaining t he "Coastal Information System" is exemplary. There is no way of knowing what the outcome of World War II would have been had our coastlines been left un protected. T here is a good reason why the motto of the Coast Guard is '' Semper Paratus" Always Ready.

As the Allies pushed into France in July of 1944, the West Coast still had viable patrols in force, although troops had been reduced significantly. Horses

Volunteer hours in the Museum Store and related projects came to 1,867 hours. Visitors Services, which includes rope making and net mending on the weekends, came to 715 hours. The Education Department totaled 837.75 hours. The Columbia River Sailing Gillnet Boat project netted 2,668.5 hours and the Bristol Bay Fisherman's Reunion came in at 185 hours. Administrative and Curatorial volunteer hours were 1,060 and the Lightship Columbia (WLV 604), which includes maintenance, operation, and interpretation, boasted 1,200 hours. The total efforts of devoted and often heroic volunteer work reached an all-time high of well over 8,000 hours last year. What a team!

In the densely wooded areas of the Oregon and Washington coasts, the men did their own cooking und upkeep of their stations. They also adapted the clothing they wore to the special condi tions under which they worked. The Ar my issue uniforms fell apart in the unre lenting rain and wind. Raingear snagged and tore on the forest trails. The men turned to standard West Coast logging clothes. Calked boots, tin pants, wool shirts, oilskins, and buffalo blanket coats transformed them into wild men of the woods. A visiting uniformed officer squeaky clean from the main base often had a shock in store The conditions under which his men worked needed to be taken i nto consideration and even tually a more rugged uniform was de ve l oped to maintain a sense of unity in the field.

As the war wound down, the Army returned to guard Northwest beaches with their jeeps. The Coast Guard shifted its lifesaving priorities to the war zones, evacuating soldiers from the beaches of the Pacific war zone and to the unhappy task of bringing home the wounded and the dead.

Three Cheers for Volunteers

Working together and making a difference, our volunteers are at the very heart of every service and operation. We couldn't do it without your help.

Rachel Wynne

The Beach Patrol proved flexible in other ways as well. Dogs were introduced when men began to be recalled for actual combat in the Pacific war zone. A dog was substituted for one of the men on the night patrol and the dogs became very popular. They were fierce, loyal, and provided the men with companionship during the long nights of patrol duty. The Ozette station in the Port Angeles sector alone boasted forty dogs and ten handlers. Sixty-five dogs were sent to Long Beach, Washington to pad quietly along the open stretches in that area. Eighteen breeds of dog were employed by the Coast Guard, but the German shepherd was the overall choice for the Beach Patrol in the Pacific Northwest. The canine Beach Patrol continued with great success until its gradual phasing out near the end of 1943.


and dogs from many stations were re turned to the Army Quartermaster's Depot. Stables at Ocean Park in Washington, and Gearhart, Manzanita, the Siuslaw and Umpqua Rivers in Oregon continued to operate for a short time after 1944. Former Beach Patrol stations became lookout stations, but a few patrols remained active in critical areas. The criteria for patrol of critical areas were the type of terrain, past enemy activity, the offshore distance to the ten fathom curve, and proximity to other lookout stations.

Quarterdeck, Vol. 16 No. 3

On March 1, 1990, the Museum held its annual Volunteer/Staff Potluck Dinner. This occasion allows us to re establish old friendships, talk about the past year, plan for the coming year and honor those volunteers who contributed a hundred hours or more. Last year 27 people joined the ranks of the 100 Hour Club. The resulting combined efforts in terms of hours was astounding.

Horses were also used to help cover patrols when more men were called into action in the Pacific. The mouth of the Columbia River, the natural boundary between Oregon and Washington, was the object of intensive defense activity. This major lane of maritime commerce needed to be protected by all possible means. The Wyoming National Guard, a mounted patrol unit, was sent to ride the beaches on both sides of the river. The National Guard trained the "beach pounders" to ride and care properly for the horses, so vital to the successful surveillance of the vast expanse of beach surrounding the Long Beach Peninsula. Stables to house the animals were on both sides of the river, one in Astoria at the Naval Air Station, and the other in Long Beach , Washington.

Every year the Columbia River Maritime Museum honors a group of individuals without which most museums could not operate. Who am I talking about? Why, our volunteers, of course!

The horse units used a great deal of equipment in their operation and the Coast Guard warehouse at Tongue Point on the Columbia, east of Astoria, be came the receiving station for all equestrian supplies and equipment. The men needed 11 mountain of supplies to maintain a stable of well groomed and healthy horses, for these horses had to be in top condition. They must not only carry a man safely through inclement weather conditions, but also a thirty five pound radio and often a Reising sub machine gun.

Johnson further states that sixty-eight vessds were takfn ovn hy thf 1oa<;t Guard from the Lighthouse Service, many of them having seen several decades of service. Most U.S.L.H.S. tenders were one of a kind, built for specific local conditions The only "true" classes of Lighthouse Service tenders were eight 190-footers designed by the Navy Department and constructed in 1908, named the "Manzanita" Class after the venerable coastwise tender stationed at Astoria, and six former Army minelayers acquired following W.W.!.

The ice pack was estimated to be from twelve to twenty feet deep. The Manzanita was able to move in the ice by swinging the derrick across the ship, causing the vessel to list from side to side. First one sinker was hoisted to the derrick head; later it became necessary to hoist two first class concrete sinkers to the derrick head, the derrick was lowered down, then swung from side to side, until the vessel commenced to move.


tended for serv1cmg buoys and lighthouses. A cutaway forefoot was incorporated into the design to provide light icebreaking capabilities. Earlier U.S.L.H.S. tenders had been called upon to perform that task on occasion as well. During the record freeze on the Columbia in January, 1930, the Manzanita and the Rose were notably effective in breaking through to communities on the lower Columbia isolated by the extreme winter conditions. ·

Further Notes on Local Tenders


Aids to navigation and buoy tending are services the U.S. Coast Guard assumed when the U.S. Lighthouse Service was consolidated into the Coast Guard by executive order in August, 1939. It was not an easy transition. Civilian employees of the Lighthouse Service found themselves faced with the hard choice of joining the military or losing their jobs. Some were bitter over the termination of the agency on the eve of its sesquicentennial. Many of those who decided to stay left in disgruntlement over having to accept rank junior to men many years younger with less experience in the field. For their part, according to Coast Guard historian Robert Erwin Johnson in Guardians of the Sea, "Erstwhile cutter sailors learned that relieving a buoy was no task for a novice."

70.40.68 8

In the Columbia River Maritime Museum's archives are several copies of the photo (previously published in the Quarterdeck Review, Vol. 1, No. 4) of the Manzanita coming to the aid of the American S.S. Edgar F. Luckenback and the British S.S. Leeds City trapped in the ice off Barlow Point on the Columbia River, January 21, 1930. One of these photognrh~ h:l~ :ln interesting imcrip tion on the back from the Office of the Superintendent of the 17th U.S L.H.S. District (roughly corresponding to the present 13th U.S. Coast Guard District), dated February 5, 1930:

"Tongue Point Lighthouse Depot with all the 17th U .S.L.H.S. District tenders in port on April 24, 1935. From left to right, tenders Larch, Manzanita, (behind warehouse), Heather, Rose, and Rhododendron. Photo taken by Depot Keeper P. Christianson." The description is on the reverse of what appears to be the original of this photo, with identification by Mr. Christianson.

Robert L. Scheina, in Coast Guard Cutters and Craft of World War II, details how the preliminary design for a new <;frif<; of <;fagoing tfn<ler~ w:;i~ initi:Hf<l by the Lighthouse Service in 1939. Eventually constructed as three separate classes of 180-foot vessels during the war years, the design was adapted by the Coast Guard and finalized by Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Corp., Duluth, Minnesota. All were built in Duluth by Marine Iron and Shipbuilding or the Zenith Dredge Co. between October, 1941 and May, 1944. The ships proved to be versatile and dependable, adding search and rescue features to those in-

The last tender built by the Lighthouse Service for assignment to Northwest waters was the 175-foot FIR (WLB-212), now officially the oldest cutter in the U.S. Coast Guard. The Fir was built by Moore Dry Dock, Oakland, California, and launched on August 18, 1939, a month and a half after the Lighthouse Service was officially transferred to the Treasury Department for consolidation with the Coast Guard. As is documented in the CRMM photo archive, the Fir departed on her maiden voyage bound for Astoria. Commissioned on October 1, 1940, the Fir was dispatched to her intended duty station on Puget Sound, where she has served for the majority of her career.

The method so used by the crew of the Manzanita is a classic example of will finding a way. It is worthy of note that in the lore of river folk on the lower Columbia, the Manzanita and the Rose are well and fondly remembered for their roles in providing relief to icebound communities in the unusual conditions of January, 1930 far more so than the Coast Guard's icebreaker Northland, here at the same time, or the cutter Redwing, which along with the Manzanita was assigned to icebreaking duties in Portland harbor The shallow draft and stout hulls of the tenders, combined with the crews' knowledge of local waters, sheer know-how, and determination to get the job done carried the day. People here still remember.

Intercept and Board, by Emery Huntoon. Binford & Mort Publishers. 6 95/ Members 6.25

We are offering this tie to all members and active U.S. Coast Guard personnel at a ~pr>dal <li~rmmt throngh Angmt .'11, 1990. It is our hope that this additional discount will enable everyone to own and wear this tie with pride.

Rachel Wynne and Kevin Violette, two members of the Museum's staff, agree that they feel like members of the Executive Committee when they wear their new 100% silk hand woven Lightship Columbia necktie.

Guardians of the Sea: History of the United States Coast Guard 1915 to the Present, by Robert Erwin Johnson. Naval Institute Press. 25.00/Members 22.50. Deluxe boxed edition 45.00/Members 40.50.

A Gift of Music

29.00/Members 23.20 (thru 8/31/90); Members 26.10 after 9/1/90.

A History of U.S. Coast Guard Aviation, by Arthur Pearcy. Naval Institute Press. 27.00/Members 24.30.

Rescue at Sea, by John M. Waters, Jr. Naval Institute Press 29.00/Members 26.10.

Silent Siege-II, by Bert Webber. Pacific Northwest Books. 24.95/Members 22.45.

The U.S. Coast Guard in World War II, by Malcolm F. Willoughby. Naval Institute Press. 40.00/Members 36.00.

U.S. Coast Guard Cutters eJ Craft of World War II, by Robert L. Scheina. Naval Institute Press. 38.00/Members 34.20.

The Columbia River Maritime Museum recently acquired a Baldwin baby grand piano at the bequest of Miss Ethel Wicks. Miss Wicks, a long-time supporter and volunteer of the Museum, wished the piano to be placed in the safety and climate controlled atmosphere of the Daniel Kern Room, where she had hoped someday concerts would be held.

Eagle, America's Sailing SquareRigger, by George Putz. The Globe Pequot Press. 16.95/Members 15.25.

Quarterdeck, Vol. 16 No. 3

Prints in the Sand: The U.S . Coast Guard Beach Patrol During World War II, by Eleanor Bishop. Pictorial Histories Publishing Co. 9.95/Members 8.95


Lightship Necktie

Perhaps the concerts Ethel wanted are in the not-too-distant future. We at the Museum look forward to the hours of pleasure Ethel's gift will bring

The Columbia River Maritime Museum was very much a part of Miss Wicks . She held a particular love for the old time "butterfly fleet" that her mother told stories about as a child The completion of the Columbia River Sailing Gillnet Boat Project brought back those memories, and fulfilled her dream of seeing the boats again floating on the river

Ethel Wicks studied piano at the University of Oregon. She was the organist for Trinity Lutheran Church for many years and an active member of the Community Concert Association. For the past 56 years she was a member of the Friday Music Club.

The Coast Guard Under Sail: The U.S. Revenue Cutter Service 1789-1865, by Irving H. King. Naval Institute Press. 30.00/Members 27 .00.

To mark the 200th anniversary of the U .S. Coast Guard, as well as the registration of the Lightship Columbia 604 on the National Register of Historic Vessels, the Museum's shop is proud to present a Lightship Columbia necktie. A detailed illustration of the Lightship Columbia 604 is tastefully woven into stunning gray 100% silk fabric. These ties were made expressly for the Museum in the United States.

Additional Reading from the Museum Store

Men of Action; A History of the U.S. Life Saving Service on the Pacific Coast, by Ernest L. Osborne & Victor West. Bandon Historical Society 10.00/Members 9 00.

Pat McGuire

SUPPORTING Mrs. T. Rex Baldwin

Mr. & Mrs. Jon A. Englund

Alan L. Engstrom

Mr. & Mrs. Willis S Watson Weyerhaeuser Company Mr. & Mrs Douglas Wiese

Mr. & Mrs. Jack Brunner

Helen Farrens

Ronald M Coffey


Mr. & Mrs. Bill Van Dusen

Mr. & Mrs. Roderick Sarpola Mr. & Mrs. Robert A. Sheets

Mr. & Mrs Robert Lucas Capt. Reino Mattila

Mr. & Mrs. Henry Herlin


Douglas Brooks

Mr. & Mrs Elmer J Cappon Mr. & Mrs. James R. Clark


Ethel L. Urban

Stephen Tuckman

Mrs. Leslie Sherman & Family

Hilda Lahti Elem School Faculty

Mr. & Mrs. John R Gilbert

Kajira Wyn Berry

Dale W. Lange

Mr. & Mrs Clifford Alterman Mrs J Irwin Hoffman Jerry Ostermiller

Eugene Buell

Mr & Mrs. Ernest E. Brown

Mr . & Mrs. Perry Nordmark

Coleman Whe e ler

Rev. Sallie Shippen

Mr. & Mrs Richard T. Schroeder

Mr. & Mrs. Willis Van Dusen

Mr. & Mrs Melvin Mark, Jr. Dr. &Mrs Douglas M. O'Connor

Mr. & Mrs Ellis Hill

Mr. & Mrs. Gregg Paterson

Mr. & Mrs Ragnor Norgaard Jordis Tetli

Joyce Andrews

Richard V. Tounton

Joel Determann

Mr. & Mrs Graham Barbey Capt & Mrs Dale A. Dickinson Hees Enterprises, Inc Paul Leach

Tom Pillette


Memorial Donations -January 1 - March 31, 1990


Solveig H. Sieberts

Mr. & Mrs. Harold Hendriksen

Mr. & Mrs. Roy Hammond

Dennis Vaughn

Mr & Mrs. James Parker

Robert C Huffman

Mrs. Joe Henningsen

J. E. Keyser


Mr. & Mrs. Dee A. Thomason

New Members -January 1 - March 31, 1990

Dr. & Mrs Robert D. Neikes Joseph Rogers

Robert H. Thomson, III Mr. & Mrs. William J. Walther Lloyd Gail Wright

Greg Daly

Dr. Harry K. Bailey

Mr. & Mrs. Dick Allen Frederick Dahl



Tim Dalrymple

Dorothy G . Butler


A J. Conger, Jr.

Mr. & Mrs. Duane A Bundy

SPONSOR Earl M. Chiles

Mr. & Mrs Thomas E. Edison First Interstate Bank, Astoria Dr. Robert W Haglund

Dr. Louis B. Schoel

Judie Dreyer

Robert J. Wilhelm


Increased Memberships

John D Power

Mr. & Mrs. Terrance Steurmer

Mr. & Mrs Gene A. Hill

Mr. & Mrs Henry Niem i

Mr. & Mrs Robert L. Alexander Mr. & Mrs. Arnold E. Andersen Fred Bassett G. L. Booth

Louise Fremstad

Mr. & Mrs. William A. Jack Mr. & Mrs. Tony Kischner Dean Pape

Stevedoring Services of America


David Dasse

H. Daniel Townsend

Mr. & Mrs Warren J Ulrich Mr. & Mrs Harry C Visse Mr. & Mrs. Chuck Weakley

Mr. & Mrs. Allan G Erickson Mr. & Mrs. L . Phaon Gambee Dr. & Mrs. J Gordon Grout David B. Hallin Mr. & Mrs Art H. Huebner Mr. & Mrs. Jeffrey Hull Mr. & Mrs Folger Johnson E Kimbark MacColl

John Hammond

Mr. & Mrs T. J. Tomjack Walsh Construction Co.

Charles Cartwright

Capt. & Mrs. Kenneth McAlpin

Dr. & Mrs. Robert Neikes

Mary S. Patterson & Family

Mr. & Mrs. James M Keane

David Fastabend

A.J. L'Amie

Frances Shewczyk


Mr. & Mrs Henry C. Desler


Wilbur Hissner

Roger E. Jolma

Robert W. Gibson

Mr. & Mrs. Lloyd W. Selfridge Still Images

Melvin C. Morton

CCM C.R Easley, US N Ret

Mr. & Mrs. Alan Ahola

Mary Frances Jackson

John H. Crocker

Dooger's Seafood & Grill

Mr. & Mrs. Henry W. Brands

Mr. & Mrs. Donald E. Phillips

Mrs. Ted H. Sarpola


Mr. & Mrs. Gene A. Hill


Mr. & Mrs John E. Hill

Mr. & Mrs. James F. Dukich S. Ronald Hellenthal Mr. & Mrs Jim Holter Hughes-Ransom Mortuary, Inc. Mr. & Mrs Lee R. Jackson


Dr. & Mrs Russel Hunter Jason James Mr. & Mrs Loren K. Johnson Mr. & Mrs. Veikko A. Manners


Mr. & Mrs Eugene Knutsen

Mr. & Mrs. Felix G. Caballero

Mr. & Mrs. Harry Dichter Mr. & Mrs. James Durkheimer

Dr. & Mrs. Michael H Graham

Mr. & Mrs. Jay Westerholm

Mr. & Mrs. Wenzel G. Luthe

Mr. & Mrs. William C . Farrens


Mr. & Mrs Robert Chopping Western Transportation Co

Mr. & Mrs. Craig MacCloskey


Henry J. Paul Thomas Renaud James D Roberts

Mr. & Mrs. Harry C. Clair Walter Grodahl, III Louisiana-Pacific Foundation


Laura M. Doolittle E. L. Ericson

Mr. & Mrs Paul Benoit

Mr. & Mrs. David Milholland Mr. & Mrs Larry Perkins Harriet D Taylor US National Bank, Astoria



Mr. & Mrs Carl Bondietti

Mr. & Mrs. H. Newton Baker

Mr. & Mrs Ronald M. Coffey

Mr. & Mrs. Gordon A. Anderson Mr. & Mrs. Stockton G. Barnett

Mr. & Mrs. Ronald A. Dunning

Mr. & Mrs. John Niemi, Jr. Fran Severson

Mr. & Mrs. Scott H. Goodnight, Jr.

Mr. & Mrs David D. Corkill

Mr. & Mrs. Carl 0. Fisher

Mr. & Mrs. John E. Hill

Mr. & Mrs Leonard A. Forsgren

Mr. & Mrs Robert L. Harrison

The Heiner Family

Mr. & Mrs. Ellis Hill

Mr. & Mrs Thomas W Mattis Mr. & Mrs Gregg Paterson Mr. & Mrs James D Peterson James G Reisner Mr. & Mrs. Darrell S Rutter


Mr. & Mrs. Eldon Korpela

Mr. & Mrs Victor Berger Mr. & Mrs Bruce R. Berney W H. Dole, Jr.


Dann Oppfelt

Mr. & Mrs. Ed Grotting

Mr. & Mrs. George Fulton

Irene H. McHale

Mr. & Mrs. Robert K. Bish Mr. & Mrs. Harry G. Blake



Guy Tucker

JOHN BENTZ SIMPSON Fernhill Progressive Club

SHIRLEY A. SUNNELL Michael Ramsdell

Helen E. Koski

Mr. & Mrs Donald Fastabend

Mr & Mr s. Ruben A Mund

FRANK LAPAY A J L'Amie Donald V Riswick

LLOYD MARTIN Mr. & Mrs. Ruben A Mund

LOIS RYDING Astoria Marine Construction Co. Mr & Mrs. Robert J Ayers Alice N. Bechto l t Tim Fastabend Fishhawk Fisheries, Inc . Mr. & Mrs Gilbert Pitkanen Pat Samuelson Mr. & Mrs . James C. Tote££ David L. Wr ight & Family F Lewis Wright

STEVE SHARROCK Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth E Moore

E. RAY L ERBACK Roy A. Duoos Clara B. Johnson

Mr. & Mrs Trygve Duoos Mr. & Mrs. Thomas E. Edison Mr. & Mrs George Fulton Mr. & Mrs. John Gagnon Mr. & Mrs. Gerald Glein Rev & Mrs. John Goodenberger Dorothea J. Handran

Nora S Bue

Mr. & Mrs. Eugene F Hughes

A. J L'Amie

Mr. & Mrs. Richard Baird Mr. & Mrs. Victor Berger Mr. & Mrs. Ernest E. Brown Nora S Bue

LEONARD G. VERNON Anchor Graphics

Donna Hitchman

Mr. & Mrs. Arvi W. Ostrom Mr. & Mrs. David E . Palmberg Walter H. Palmberg Duane Patching Joseph Pesch! Mrs Eino Puusti Mr. & Mrs. George E. Siverson Mr. & Mrs Harry Steinbock Jordis Tetli Mr. & Mrs. Joseph L. Thompson Astrid 0. Wooley

Mr. & Mrs Don Miller Barbara Minard

Mr. & Mrs. George E. Siverson Mr. & Mrs. Truman Slotte Mr. & Mrs. Harry Steinbock Mr. & Mrs. Ron Stidham

Mr & Mrs. Michael Riva Alan D . Robitsch

Viola M Johnson



Patricia Longnecker Dr. & Mrs. R.P. Moore Marjorie H Stickney Mr. & Mrs. Russell Stickney

Mr & Mrs. Arnold J. Al brech t


Mr. & Mrs. James Mccafferty Mr. & Mrs Charles Mestrich Mr. & Mrs Chris Mestrich Annabell A M i ller

Mr. & Mrs . James Pilgreen Roy Salmi

Mr . & Mrs. Richard D . Huckestein Nick Jurasin Georg e Kesti Lill ian LaBeck

Mr. & Mrs Clifford Frost Harold Green Leonard Haga

Mr. & Mrs. Paul Phillips

J Dan Webster

Mr. & Mrs. David Myers Lt. Co l. & Mrs. Victor Nunenkamp

Walter E. Larson

Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence Petersen

Mr. & Mrs. Kay A. Baker Otto & AnnaJane Bjelland Amelia Bristow Be ssi e Cur t is Fernhill Progressive Club

Mr. & Mrs Perry Nordmark

ROBERT L. LAWLIS Capt. & Mrs. James T. Clune Mr. & Mrs. Charles W Hutchens A. J. L'Amie Mr. & Mrs. Roderick Sarpol a J. Dan Webster

Mr & Mrs Paul Stangeland

Mr. & Mrs. Jordis Tetli

Mr. & Mrs Dave B. Hubbard

JOE M LARSON Agnes C. Lawrence

WALT ER H. LOFGREN Mr. & Mrs. Ellis Hill Mr. & Mrs . Gene A. Hill


ARTHUR PHARES Elsie Jarvinen


ALICE OLE T HA SATHER Mr. & Mrs George Fulton

Mr. & Mrs. Sam Churchill Mr. & Mrs. Frederick Clayton Clatsop County Shriners


Donna Mary Dukich

JONATHAN MORRIS Dorothy A. Tienson

Olney Grade School Staff Dr. & Mrs . Donald Orwick Mr. & Mrs Erling Orwick Jerry Ostermiller and Lynne Johnson

Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence Petersen Mr. & Mrs. Tom Petersen Mr. & Mrs George Phillips

Carol Puderbaugh

EDWIN NICHOLAS Ruthann Eyer Mrs C.C Parvo l a & Family

William F Linton

Mr & Mrs. Robert J. Rickett

Mr. & Mrs. Dennis W. Rodin Dorothy J. Sarpola

David Hoyer

Mr. & Mrs Gordon Wo lfgram

A. J. L'Amie

Mr. & Mrs Arvi W. Ostrom Mr & Mrs. Jack Smethurst Mrs Olaf Waisanen

Mr . & Mrs. Melvin Hjorten Buddy Hoell & Rae Goforth Mr. & Mrs Harold Jacob

Mr. & Mrs. Charles E. Hansen

Quarterdeck, Vol. 16 No. 3

Lucille Schuy l er C Bernice Simonsen

Mr. & Mrs. Joseph L. Thompson

WILLIS A. GuLK ER V P.W. 1-'os t 1909

Dr. & Mrs. David I. Williams Nick Zorich

Virginia Shepherd

Sophie M. Howe & Family

Andrew D Carlson Mr. & Mrs John D Deeder Mr. & Mrs Donald D Doran Jean & Merle Ewald Mr. & Mrs. George C. Fulton Mr. & Mrs. Jon Hayrynen Mr. & Mrs David Helmersen Mabel Herold Ted Jackson Mr & Mrs. Ted J. Jacobson A. J. L'Amie Mr. & Mrs. Roland E. Larson Agnes C. Lawrence Mr. & Mrs Howard Lovvold Mr. & Mrs. Bruce Lyngstad Mr. & Mrs. Cecil Moberg Lila A Olsen & Family


Patricia Longnecker Mr. & Mrs. Eugene Lowe

DENYSE M. TORREY Charles Stoner

Mr. & M r s Patrick C. Jensen Mr. & Mrs. Sigfred C. Jensen Mr. & Mrs. Da l e R. Johnson D1. & Mrs. Richard Ke tte lkamp Mr. & Mrs Will iam R. King


Mr. & Mrs . Ralph Long Mary Lyon

Mr. & Mrs . Ragnar Norgaard Melvin Olson Arne I. Oja





Mr. & Mrs Howard Lovvold Loran E. Mattson

Mr. & Mrs. Ruben A. Mund


Mr. & Mrs. Hugh A. Seppa

Mr. & Mrs John E. Hill Elsie Jarvinen

FAY M. KUHNLY Mr. & Mrs Carl H Labiske

EDNA s. L'AMIE Mr. & Mrs Ronald Collman

Clara E Miles

GUSTAV E. PETERSON Mr. & Mrs Donald Aase Mr & Mrs Tim Aho Mr. & Mrs . Allan L. Bue Dan Bue Mr. & Mrs Dave Bue Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Bue Mr. & Mrs Larry Bue

ELIZABETH HJORTEN REDDING Mr. & Mrs Ruben A. Mund GEORGE E. RILEY Mr. & Mrs Charles E. Hansen

Mr. & Mrs. Norman Kujala

Mr. & Mrs Ernest Barrows Richard H . Goin Mr. & Mrs. Michael K Jensen Mr. & Mrs Patrick C Je nsen Mr. & Mrs. Sigfred C Jensen Mr. & Mrs. John Lum Leonard Vernon

Roy A. Duoos

Mr. & Mrs. Michael K. Jensen

Mr. & Mrs. Roy Kinnunen Viola L Kononen Mr. & Mrs. El don Korpela Mr. & Mrs. William Leahy

Mr. & Mrs. Armas E . Niskanen Jon A. & Stephanie Norgaard

Mr & Mrs. Paul Reimers

Mr. & Mrs John Lum Capt James T. Maher

WILLIAM "BILL" LARSON Mr. & Mrs. Allen Cellars Mr. & Mrs F. M. Ginn Mr. & Mrs. Ed Lundholm Mrs. J. E. Niemi


Mr. & Mrs. Ron Westerlund

MYRA T. RIVA Dorothea J. Handran Mr. & Mrs Ellis Hill Mr . & Mrs. Gene A. Hill Mr. & Mrs. Jerry Roberts Sylvia Ilobert~ Mr. & Mrs. William Whitten, Sr.

Edwin K. Parker

Auxiliary Honors Leonard Vernon

Mr. &. Mrs. Alton P. Chase

Mr. &. Mrs. Ed Rosenfeld


The Wheeler Foundation


D Life Member $5000 Single Payment or Cumulative since 1962

Margaret I. Hughes

Dr. &. Mrs. R. P Moore

Visitors to the Columbia River Maritime Museum often express surprise at finding such a treasure here in Astoria But it really is no wonder. The quality of this institution is in direct proportion to the quality of our friends and supporters. As is plainly evident, we have a lot to live up to.

Mr. &. Mrs. John McGowan

Sign On!

Mr. &. Mrs. J. R. Thompson

Lilliam Niemi Theresa Wilson


John D. Power

Fernhill Progressive Club

M r &. M r s. G e o r ge Aspm o

Mr. &. Mrs. Ed Lundholm

D Individual $15 per year D Pilot $250 per year

Special Donations

Mr. &. Mrs. John S. McGowan

Mr. &. Mrs. Charles E. Simpson

Chinook Marine of Astoria

Mr. &. Mrs. Richard Cameron

George Hol t &. Family Anita Kankkonen Bertha Lee


One of the great pleasures of working for a museum is sharing time with volunteers. One of the sad ironies of that relationship, however, is that since retirees often comprise the bulk of the volunteer work force, the loss of dear friends is an all too frequent occurrence. This was driven home to us at the Columbia River Maritime Museum once again just recently. On the very same day the Winter 1990 issue of the Quarterdeck came out, with its well deserved tribute to Leonard Vernon and his extensive volunteer efforts, Leonard passed away . It is impossible to describe what we all felt that day and the days and weeks that followed. Perhaps it is best simply to say, Good-bye, Len, we shall miss you. Thanks for all the hours, the work, and the knowledge you shared. Thanks for the memories.

Memorials (continued)

Mr. &. Mrs. David Drake Dorothea J Handran

Mr &. Mrs. Rodney F. Williams

At their regular February meeting, the CRMM Auxiliary voted to establish a memorial to Leonard, who was described by Auxiliary President Frankye Thompson as one of the Auxiliary's best friends Whenever they needed a program, he was ready to help. When a project needed finishing, you could count on Leonard. People all over town knew that, and indeed, we grew to count on him As a special tribute to Leonard, the Auxiliary voted to purchase a complete set of professional quality audio-visual equipment, duplicating that which Leonard used for the past several years to show slide tape presentations in the local community. The total cost of this audiovisual equipment is in excess of $2700, to be paid from funds raised by the Auxiliary through its various projects and programs.

Mrs. A. Alan Honeyman

D Student $7 .50 per year D Sustaining $100 per year

City _ State _ Zip _ _

ISSN 0891-2661



Mr. &. Mrs. Richard D. Huckestein


D Family $25 per year D Sponsor $500 per year

Mr. &. Mrs. Bruce C. Allred

Anchor Graphics

Mr. &. Mrs. Ernest E. Brown

Mr. &. Mrs. James Kindred

D Supporting $50 per year D Steward $1,000 per year

Mailing Address

D Mr. D Mrs. D Miss

Non Profit Organization U.S. POSTAGE PAID

Astoria, Oregon Permit No. 209


The Clark Foundation

Mr. &. Mrs. John Altstadt

Jane Byerly

Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.