Core Concepts Mrs Zainab Mubashar & Dr Yahya Mubashar
Topics • Concept of God in Quran • Relationship of God with Mankind • Recent misconception about Islam – Jihad – Halal Slaughtering
What is God in Quran? •
Chapter 112 Al-Ikhlas
– Say: He is God, the One and Only; – God, the Eternal, the Absolute (lives forever and is above all needs); – None is born of Him nor He is ever born; – And there is none (entirely) like Him.
Mightiness of God in Quran •
Chapter 2 Al-Baqara,verse 255
– God! There is no God but Him, the ever-living, the One Who Sustains and Protects all that exists. – Neither slumber nor sleep overtake Him. – To Him belongs whatever is in Heavens and on earth. – Who is he that can intercede with Him except with his permission? – He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world and what will happen to them in the Hereafter. – And they will never compass anything of His knowledge except that which he wills.
– His throne extends over the Heavens and the earth, – And He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. – And He is the most High and the Most Great.
Is this the same God for everyone? â€˘ Say: "Verily, my Lord has guided me to a way that is straight,- a religion of right,the path of Abraham the true in Faith, and he (certainly) joined not gods with God." Chapter 6 Al-Anaam, verse 161
What does God Expects from Man? â€˘ Worship none but God. Treat with kindness your parents and kindred, and orphans and those in need; speak fair to the people; Be steadfast in prayer; and practise regular charity. Chapter 2 AlBaqara, Verse 83
â€˘ Every soul shall have a taste of death: and We test you by evil and by good by way of trial. To Us you must return. Chapter 21 Al-Anbiya, Verse 35
Why God Created the world? â€˘ Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, Who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To God We belong, and to Him is our returnâ€?. They are those on whom (Descend) blessings from God, and mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance. Chapter 2 Al-Baqara, Verse 155-157
What is the Reality of Life gifted by God? â€˘ Know you (all), that the life of this world is but play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting and multiplying, (in rivalry) among yourselves, riches and children. Here is a similitude: How rain and the growth which it brings forth, delight (the hearts of) the tillers; soon it withers; you will see it grow yellow; then it becomes dry and crumbles away. But in the Hereafter is a Penalty severe and Forgiveness from God and (His) good pleasure. And what is the life of this world, but goods and chattels of deception? Chapter 57 Al-Hadid, Verse 20
Why is God so tolerant to Evil? â€˘ If God were to punish men according to what they deserve. He would not leave on the back of the (earth) a single living creature: but He gives them respite for a stated Term. When their term expires, they would not be able to delay (the punishment) for a single hour, just as they would not be able to anticipate it (for a single hour). Chapter 16 Al-Nahl, Verse 61
What is the End of Mankind? â€˘ Every soul shall have a taste of death: And only on the Day of Judgment shall you be paid your full recompense. Only he who is saved far from the Fire and admitted to the Garden will have attained the object (of Life): For the life of this world is but goods and chattels of deception. Chapter 3 Aal-e-Imran, Verse 185
Does God accepts man’s weakness? • Verily We have Created Man into toil and struggle. Chapter 90 Al-Balad, Verse 4
• God does wish to lighten your (difficulties): For Man was Created Weak. Chapter 4 Al-Nisa, Verse 28
• God puts no burden on any person beyond what He has given him. After a difficulty, God will soon grant relief. Chapter 65 Al-Talaq, Verse 7
Does God Encourage mankind to rise from despair? • But it is possible that you dislike a thing which is Good for you, and that you love a thing which is bad for you. But God knows, and you know not. Chapter 2 Al-Baqara, Verse 216
• Your Lord has inscribed for Himself Mercy: verily, if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented, and amends (his conduct), lo! He is Oftforgiving, Most Merciful. Chapter 6 Al-Anaam, Verse 54 • Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of God. for God forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. Chapter 39 Al-Zumar, Verse 53
Does God provide any strategy to deal with despair • Have We not opened up your heart? • And lifted from you your burden • Which had weighed so heavily on your back? • And raised high the esteem (in which) you (are held)? • So, verily, with every hardship comes ease. • Verily, with every hardship comes ease. • Therefore, when you are free (from your immediate task), remain steadfast. • And to your Lord turn (all) your attention. Chapter 94 – Al-Inshirah, Verse 1-8
Does God guide mankind? • The Qur'an was sent down, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for Guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). Chapter 2 Al-Baqara, Verse 185 • He Sent down to you the book and Wisdom, for your instruction. Chapter 2 Al-Baqara, verse 231 • We have Sent down to you the book explaining all things, a Guide, a Mercy, and Glad Tidings for those who have submitted themselves to God. Chapter 16 Al-Nahl, verse 89
Guidance about Alcohol and Gambling • They ask you concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit”. Chapter 2 Al-Baqara, Verse 219
• O you who believe! intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination, of Satan's handwork: eschew such (abomination), that you may prosper. Chapter 5 Al-Maeda, Verse 90
Guidance about Family & Women â€˘ It is He Who has created man from water: then has He established relationships of lineage and marriage: for your Lord has power (over all things). Chapter 25 Al-Furqan, Verse 54 â€˘ O you who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should you treat them with harshness, that you may take away part of the dower you have given them, except where they have been guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on the footings of kindness and fairness. Chapter 4 Al-Nisa, Verse 19
Guidance about Justice â€˘ O You who believe! Show integrity for the sake of God, bearing witness with justice. Do not let hatred for a people incite you into not being just. Be just. That is closer to faith. Heed God (alone). God is aware of what you do (Qur'an 5:8)
Does God appreciate Diversity? • Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians, any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. Chapter 2 Al-Baqara, Verse 62 • To God belong the East and the West: Where ever you turn, there is the presence of God. For God is all-Pervading, all-Knowing. Chapter 2 Al-Baqara, Verse 115
• O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other (not that you may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you. Chapter 49 Al-Hujraat, verse 13
Religion • A religion should not be judged by what is portrayed in the media or by the actions of its followers, because there are good and bad followers in every religion. • The correct thing to do is to judge a religion by its documented revelation from God and the Prophet who brought that revelation. • This applies to Islam, Christianity, Judaism and all religions.
Message Say: O people of the Book! Come to common terms as between us and you: Al Quran (Al'Imran: verse 64)