Issuu on Google+

Guide to completing the Short-term Study Application Form– January 2017 This is a guide to completing the Short-term Study application form is for people who need to apply for a visa before they travel. You can check if you need to apply for a visa in Appendix 2 of the visitor visa rules. If your country does not appear on the “Visa National List” you can request permission to enter the UK as a Short-term Student when you arrive at the border. Please ensure you also read the “Short-term Student Visas” section here . The guide is intended to be used alongside official guidance.

1: Finding the application form 1. 2. 3. 4.

Go to Choose “Student Visas” Choose “Short-term Study visa” Choose option 4. “Apply” You will need to complete an online application form. Click on to access the form. Do not select the new visitor form as this does not give the Short-term Study option. If you are accessing the Visa4UK website for the first time, you will need to create an account with the UKVI. Click on

to register with the UKVI.

2. Creating an account on Visa4UK 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

Complete your personal details; Provide the email address you use the most; Choose a password you will remember. Register your details. You will be sent an email to confirm your registration.

3. Choosing the correct application form 1. If you are completing your own application form choose


2. Read the information on the page then choose 3. On the next screen, some of your personal information will already be filled in from the details you gave when registering. 4. Provide the details of the passport you intend to use to travel to the UK. 5. The date of intended travel does not need to be exact, but you can only apply for a Short-term Study visa a maximum of three months before you are expected to attend LSE. 6. At the bottom of the page you will be asked to select which visa route you are applying for. If you are applying for a Short-term Study visa for the following programmes:  

Summer School Re-take students

 Executive Education Courses  Visiting Research Students

 

Executive Masters degrees Exchange students of less than six months

Written by the International Student Visa Advice Team (ISVAT) – January 2017

You should select the following options:

Whilst there is an option for an 11 month Short-term Study visa, the immigration rules state that this can only be used for an English Language programme. You cannot use this visa to study any of the programmes listed above. 7. If you are planning to study the full EAP foundation programme, you can choose the following option:

8. All applicants should choose the following options:

9. Choose screen choose

to generate the next application. When you see the “My applications� to complete the form.

4. Completing the form This section looks at frequently asked questions about the Short-term Study application form that our team receives.

Passport/Travel Document

You do not need to be resident in the country you are applying from for the Short-term Study visa, but you must be legally in your country of application. It is not possible to apply for the Short-term Study visa from within the UK.

The Short-term Study rules state that you can stay for the six months or until the end of your programme, whichever is sooner. You should not plan to remain in the UK after your period of study has ended.

Personal Details and Travel History

A list of Commonwealth Countries and UK Overseas Territories can be found here.

This question is asking whether you have made any applications for visas whilst in the UK to extend your leave. For example, if you previously held a Tier 4 visa and applied to extend it in the UK, you would be required to answer “Yes” for this question. If you have only applied for visas outside of the UK, you can answer “No”.

If you have been denied entry to the UK when you have arrived at the border, you will need to choose “Yes” and explain why you were denied entry.

These questions are not asking whether you have left the UK because your visa is expiring or your visit has ended. They are asking whether you have been required to leave by the government of that country.

You will need to provide details of all of your travel in the last 10 years. If this exceeds the space given on the form include a separate sheet.

Employment If you are using evidence of your salary to show you are able to support yourself during your time in the UK, this must be verifiable so you should consider including recent, original pay slips or a recent letter from your employer. Also, if your salary appears to be lower than the amount you inform the UKVI is your expenditure, you are at risk of being refused. This section aims to check that you are able to support yourself whilst in the UK without attempting to work or access public funds. You cannot access public funds on a visa.

Family and Friends

Include all of the details of the teaching you plan to attend whilst on this visa. For example, if you are a Summer School student, include the number of sessions you are attending and any other plans you may have e.g. tourism. If you are an Executive Masters student, include the dates of the teaching blocks you will attend on this visa and any other plans you may have. If you are a re-take student include details of your examinations and any other plans. You cannot work or undertake business on this visa route, so if you declare this is your intention whilst in the UK on a Short-term Study visa, your application is likely to be refused.

Study Details

You can only apply for your Short-term Study visa once you have official documentation confirming your period of study from LSE. If you are an Executive Masters student returning for teaching, you should obtain a new, original letter from your department confirming your expected return and teaching blocks. Your offer letter will no longer be valid because it is likely to be considered to be too old.

Give details of your future plans and any employment you may already have. The UKVI are looking to see that you have a reason to leave the UK at the end of your visit and that you do not plan to remain in the UK beyond the expiry date of your visa.

Additional Information You should use this section to provide any further details that you may need to explain about your application e.g. additional travel or unusual circumstances.

Supporting Documentation  Your supporting documentation should be original and verifiable. Students have received refusals because their supporting documentation has not given enough evidence of the information they have included in their application especially information relating to salary and the ability to support themselves;  Any documents not in English or Welsh must be officially translated;  You must submit your passport and photographs as part of the application;  You must show that you can meet the rules for each application you submit. If there have been any changes since your last application, you must ensure that your application reflects this change;  Further details on the supporting documentation required can be found at: o o o  If you have any further questions, contact ISVAT using our online query form.

Short term Study Application Form Guide