ENGLISH Blackline Master Assessment Book
Contents Program Overview iv Nouns 1 Adjectives 3
Pronouns 5 Verbs 9
Adverbs 17 Prepositions 19 Sentences 21 Conjunctions & Interjections
Punctuation & Capitalization
ÂŠ Loyola Press. Exercises in Englishâ€ƒ Level H
Assessment • Circle the letter of the correct answer.
1. Which sentence contains the correct form of a plural noun? a. The Siamese cat watched the mouses. b. Buses carry travelers to the airport terminal. c. We caught seven fishes today. d. These strawberrys are sweet.
8. Which sentence has the subject complement underlined? a. These manuscripts are valuable resources. b. This man is a talented composer. c. The climbers’ rescue was a miracle. d. My friend Alika is a skilled gymnast.
2. Which sentence includes one singular noun and two plural nouns? a. Chloe draws purple stars on her folders. b. Damon crossed three state boundaries. c. The deer ate quietly in the field. d. Mom washed a bowl of cherries.
9. Which sentence has the subject underlined? a. After eating, the bear took a nap. b. Many commuters ride on the subway. c. The children decorated the trees with ribbon. d. A group of people waits outside the store.
3. Which sentence contains the correct form of a plural noun? a. The father and son sliced loafs of bread. b. In the fairy tale, the elfs played silly tricks. c. Please put your books on these shelfs. d. I carefully washed the steak knives. 4. Which sentence includes an irregular plural noun? a. I raked the leaves into an enormous pile. b. The firefighters who saved Ben are heroes. c. The boy brushes his teeth before bedtime. d. The coach passed out three basketballs. 5. Which sentence contains the correct form of a plural compound word? a. Tai ate lunch with his brothers-in-law. b. The commander in chiefs met in private. c. They spoke to the attorney generals. d. none of the above
© Loyola Press. Exercises in English Level H
6. Which sentence has the subject underlined? a. They have eaten here many times before. b. The library is located on Maple Avenue. c. Someone is knocking on the door. d. These are Morgan’s keys. 7. Which sentence uses a noun as the subject complement? a. Those old chairs are broken. b. The lead runners in the marathon are they. c. Scott is a boy who likes swimming. d. This patient’s condition is serious.
10. Which sentence uses a noun as a direct object? a. The clown is performing a show on Sunday. b. Several people are sitting by the fountain. c. Mr. Garcia spoke proudly about his son. d. The cans tumbled off the shelf. 11. Which sentence uses a noun as the object of a preposition? a. When the vacuum broke, it hissed. b. Suri earned an A in her mathematics class. c. Mrs. Peters and her son bought groceries. d. The campfire smoke was thick.
12. Which sentence has the indirect object underlined? a. I gave my friends matching bracelets. b. I gave my friends matching bracelets. c. I gave my friends matching bracelets. d. I gave my friends matching bracelets.
13. Which sentence contains an object complement? a. The African American dancer wore a long dress. b. I considered the flowers a good present. c. Carla ate all the blue candy pieces. d. The wind blew viciously against the building.
14. Which sentence has the object complement underlined? a. The orange and white cat jumped into the shoebox. b. The citizens elected him president of the United States. c. Mom read poems to me before bedtime. d. Alan chased his brother around the house. 15. Identify the sentence that does NOT contain an object complement. a. At our home we call Friday Family Night. b. Jorge and Amy named their son Phil. c. Lin made Adam her lab partner. d. Ana’s tea tastes like mint and honey.
16. Which sentence contains an appositive? a. The table was set carefully for Thanksgiving dinner. b. We rode on the world’s tallest roller coaster. c. In Greek mythology, the god Hades rules the underworld. d. Please fill the pitcher with raspberry lemonade. 17. Which sentence has the appositive underlined? a. My dog Oscar likes to dig holes in the yard. b. My dog Oscar likes to dig holes in the yard. c. My dog Oscar likes to dig holes in the yard. d. none of the above 18. Which sentence contains a nonrestrictive appositive? a. Nathaniel Hawthorne, author of The Scarlet Letter, wrote many stories. b. My friend Celina is a cheerleader. c. Jake pumps the gas, and I clean the car’s windshield. d. As soon as the phone rang, I answered it. 19. Which sentence contains a restrictive appositive? a. Mom baked the cookies, and we decorated them. b. Mr. Ortega, the coach of the soccer team, is Juan’s dad. c. Strawberry Swirl, a new flavor, is popular with customers. d. My sister Gwen loves reading mysteries and crime novels.
20. Which sentence contains a plural possessive noun? a. I like your friend’s new hairstyle. b. The students’ books are on the table. c. The boy’s pencil broke. d. We will meet at the reporter’s office. 21. Which sentence contains a singular possessive noun? a. The cat’s claws were sharp and needed clipping. b. Who has access to the employees’ records? c. The mayor listened to the citizens’ complaints. d. The families’ gardens are beautiful. 22. Which sentence contains the correct form of a singular possessive noun? a. The boys’ rooms are next to each other. b. Jamies’ ponytail is long and elegant. c. Roshandas swimsuit is in her backpack. d. Mr. Peters’s class works well together. 23. Which sentence shows separate possession? a. Peter and Amy’s dad likes cooking. b. Alexis’s and Sophia’s boots matched. c. both of the above d. none of the above 24. Which sentence shows separate possession? a. Jayden’s and Emma’s coats are wet. b. Tia’s and Tara’s backpacks are pink. c. both of the above d. none of the above 25. Which sentence shows joint possession? a. Caden and Bryce’s dog runs faster than mine. b. Marc’s and Lara’s lockers are near the gym. c. both of the above d. none of the above
© Loyola Press. Exercises in English Level H
Book of blackline masters for each level of Exercises in English that provides a formal assessment for each chapter in the Student Book. An...