LAFD Cannabis Business Permit Requirments

Page 1

To all NEW and EXISTING Cannabis Business Operators The “Cannabis Unit” of the Los Angeles Fire Department’s Fire Prevention Bureau has frequently found similar Fire Life Safety Violations in licensed cannabis businesses throughout Los Angeles City. Our Fire Inspectors have noted operators consistently fail to address serious violations in accordance with the given enforcement timeframes. In order to gain compliance the Los Angeles Fire Department will forward all violators to the Department of Cannabis Regulations (DCR). This may result in fines, penalties, and /or suspension of the “License to Operate” in the City of Los Angeles from DCR. The Los Angeles Fire Department may also forward violators to the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office for criminal processing. 1. If you receive or have an existing Notice of Violation (NOV) from the Los Angeles Fire Department please address it immediately and obtain the proper permits to safely operate. 2. If you currently have any of the following items/issues commonly found by our Inspectors, please address them immediately and obtain the proper permits to safely operate.

Common items/issues requiring permits: (Other permits not listed may be required for your business) ● Change of Use Permit with LADBS. Permit is required for any and all construction, changes to original floor plans which may affect egress or access. Changes to any life safety system: the relocation of fire sprinklers, fire doors, and fire alarm devices. Electrical wiring, HVAC installations, exhaust Systems, division walls, amendment to existing fire sprinklers, and to document the intended use of the property is allowed in our selected occupancy. ● CO2 enrichment systems used indoors that are greater than 100lbs ● Gas Detection Systems and Mechanical Ventilation Systems for CO2 enrichment: Plan Check is required ● Type 6 Non-Volatile Plant Extraction ● Illegal Construction - General ● High Piled Storage - Rack Storage ● The Use of Temporary Power Generators ● The Use of CO2 Burners.

● ● ● ● ●

CUPA Permits Required Thresholds please confirm by visiting NFPA 704 Placarding is required for all uses of hazardous materials, gases and waste products. Industrial Ovens: requires fire plan check Buildings without openings. May be required to be fully sprinklered. Storage of Hazardous Materials. Use of and storage of Flammable and Combustible Liquids in excess of Maximum Allowable Quantities(MAQ) in Chapter 50 of the California Fire Code, LA City Fire Code is commonplace. Exceeding MAQ’s will require hazardous material cabinets UL Listed & NFPA 30 compliant. In cases in which buildings are not fully fire sprinklered, sprinklers, the construction of control areas or both may be required. Use of Delayed Egress Locking Systems for security purposes requires buildings to be fully sprinklered, and have automatic smoke detection fire alarm systems installed. Locking system must be UL Listed. Dead End Corridor conditions in M, F, S and B, Occupancies are 20ft unless the site is fully sprinklered, sprinklered occupancies can extend up to 50ft for dead end conditions.


Thank you for your cooperation,

Cannabis Unit Los Angeles Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau

Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.