Parker Block

Page 1

PA RKER B L O C K Sioux Falls, South Dakota


PARKER BLOCK The Parker Block was originally designed by prominent local architect Wallace Dow, who was responsible for several other significant structures in Sioux Falls including the Minnehaha County Courthouse. The Parker Block is one of six buildings proposed by local businessmen in 1889 to develop the area around the new Courthouse. Originally, the building contained two large stores on the first floor and offices and apartments on the upper floors. The first occupant was the Sioux Falls Candy Company, established in 1891. In 1907, the upper floors were taken over by the Artenberg Hotel which became the Grace Hotel and then the Hotel Royal. Tenants of the store spaces over time included a blacksmith, printing, cigar store, grocery store and tavern.

Photo Circa 1910

Photo Circa 1892


PARKER BLOCK The building eventually gained the reputation of being a house of ill repute. By the 1970s, the building had fallen into disuse and disrepair.

Photo 2005

Photo 2005

Photo 2005


PARKER BLOCK The Parker Block was purchased in 2005 by the Parker Block Investors, LLC, a group comprising primarily the architectural firm’s staff and intended as an opportunity to “learn by doing” in development and historic rehabilitation.

Construction

A


PARKER BLOCK All work was performed in accordance with the Secretary of the Interiors’s standards for rehabilitation of historic structures. All interior and exterior windows were restored with energy efficient glazing. Trim casings were salvaged to the extent possible and custom trim milled to match existing where missing.

C

D B


PARKER BLOCK Paint was removed from the exterior with approximately 20% of the rear facade brick requiring replacement due to long term water damage. The original fire escape was repaired for reuse as allowed by the Existing Building Code.

2006 Conditions

Construction

E


PARKER BLOCK Due to heavy water damage and mold growth (the skylight had been leaking generously and the basement had been flooded for many years), all plaster and lathe was removed revealing large interior windows originally designed to take advantage of the abundant natural light from the large skylight. During removal, the deteriorated original skylight became dislodged and crashed through the 3rd floor infill to the 2nd floor. 2006 Conditions

2006 Conditions (skylight)

F


PARKER BLOCK Offices and lobbies were added on the main level, while nearly all original partitions and door locations were reused on the upper floors.

Construction

Construction

G


PARKER BLOCK The banister railing and storefronts were rebuilt by master carpenters, floors repaired and refinished where possible, and exterior walls exposed to the weather were recovered with insulation and gypboard. New mechanical and electrical systems were carefully concealed within the building’s structure, allowing for unaltered ceilings and soffits on the two upper levels. Construction

2006 Conditions

H


PARKER BLOCK Currently, a law firm occupies the main level while many small businesses occupy suites of offices on the upper floors, sharing a common reception area.

K

J

L


PARKER BLOCK

C

B

A

D

E

SITE PLAN

PARKER BLOCK SIDEWALK SKYLIGHT TREE


PARKER BUILDING

B

BEFORE

K

A

Spaces

FIRST FLOOR PLAN

Public/Circulation Space

B

B

F

A

J

L H

SECOND FLOOR PLAN

THIRD FLOOR PLAN

G


PARKER BLOCK

BUILDING SECTION A

BUILDING SECTION B