Page 1

Guide for offer holders UNDERgraduate Student Information pack 2011

Contents 2 About your offer 4 Accommodation 10 Fees & funding 22 Learning & language support 24 Life at King’s 30 Contact details

College teaching dates for 2011-12 Autumn term: 26 September to 16 December 2011 Spring term: 9 January to 30 March 2012 Summer term: 23 April to 1 June 2012 Registration week: 19-23 September 2011

KCLSU Welcome Weeks Events During the first two weeks of term King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU) organise two weeks of daytime and evening social events open to all new students.

International Students’ Welcome and Orientation The Student Advice & International Student Support team at King’s hosts an annual free Welcome and Orientation Programme for new international students at the beginning of the autumn term. The programme includes several events to welcome you to London, and it will provide you with plenty of useful information to help you settle in and meet other new international students. You will need to book a place online in advance in order to attend this event. See page 3 for more details.

IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ The information contained in this document is accurate at the time of printing (autumn 2010), but the detail is subject to change and the College cannot guarantee that residences, facilities or services will necessarily be available. You are advised to check the website for updates.

Congratulations... ... on being offered a place to study at King’s College London. This handbook aims to answer important questions on practical issues such as finance, housing, and living in London. It is packed with useful tips to help you learn more about life as a King’s student by highlighting some of the services provided.

Checklist: Key next steps Accept your offer via UCAS For home students, apply for Student Support package from January 2011 onwards Find out if you are entitled to any grants, loans, bursaries or scholarships If you have a disability, look into support and funding available before you enrol Think about income and expenditure and work out an estimated budget Research your accommodation options. See online for more information Apply online for your King’s accommodation Use UCAS Track to keep up-to-date with your progress You can also check your myApplication admissions portal account for any updates and messages and upload any supporting documents Check King’s website for updated information, news and events

And, also for international students Read the information on Visas and Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies or CAS numbers on King’s website at HelpwithYourApplication If you would like to attend English lessons before you start your course contact the English Language Centre From June 2011 onwards check the website for details and booking form for the International Students’ Welcome and Orientation Programme

About your offer Please read these pages carefully and refer to the following sections for detailed information on accommodation, fees and funding and other support available at King’s.

Your offer of a place may be conditional or unconditional. An unconditional offer is only made if you have already satisfied the entry requirements for your programme. Conditional offers are made to candidates who have yet to complete their academic qualifications. If you hold a conditional offer, this will only be changed to unconditional when your grades have been confirmed or you have provided official documentary evidence of satisfying the conditions of your offer. This evidence should be submitted no later than 31 August 2011 (unless otherwise stated in your offer letter). If your results are not supplied to us directly by UCAS it is your responsibility to submit them to us via a message on the admissions portal.

Admissions portal You can use UCAS Track to keep up-to-date with your progress and reply to any offers. However, King’s will also issue you with a username and password for the myApplication portal ( You will be able to track the status of your application, see if you’ve been invited to interview, and you can view your offer details or apply for accommodation. You can also upload supporting documents such as English Language test results. International applicants will also be able to see information relating to the UK ‘points-based’ visa system. If, at any stage of the application year, you need to contact us about your application, please do so via your myApplication page. Programme Information

Enrolled students will receive full programme information including timetables and programme handbooks at their departmental induction during enrolment week. Timetables are finalised in the summer, so accurate information on course times is not available before September, but if you have any specific queries an admissions officer may be able to provide information based on the previous year’s schedule. Online enrolment

Before joining us at King’s, you should enrol online. Online enrolment consists of answering a short set of questions which should take between ten and fifteen minutes to complete. You will be sent further information about this process. CAMPUS REGISTRATION

The College enrolment week and departmental induction sessions will take place between Monday 19 and Friday 23 September 2011. Please bear this in mind when making plans for next summer. Detailed information and timetables will be sent to you in August. Please ensure that you inform us if you change your contact details


before the enrolment details are sent to you. Your registration with the University will depend upon the College’s formal verification of your previous qualifications at enrolment. You will be required to present original academic certificates or transcripts at enrolment, as well as original English Language exam certificates. College Regulations

It is a College regulation that a student cannot be registered on any other programme at the College or at another higher education institution at the same time. This includes interruptions and re-sits. Therefore, in order to enrole you must have completed or been officially withdrawn from all other programmes. Deferring your offer

If you wish to defer your offer of a place on the programme, please contact your admissions officer via a message on the admissions portal confirming your intentions. You should note that by choosing to defer entry to 2012-13, you will fall under new student finance support arrangements, including higher tuition fees. International Students’ Welcome & Orientation

King’s hosts an orientation programme for incoming international students at the beginning of the first term. The Orientation will be held from 14-16 September 2011. The booking form will be available from June 2011 at Student Visas

The vast majority of overseas students coming to study in the UK are required to apply for Entry Clearance before travel at your nearest British Diplomatic Post (Embassy, Consulate-General or High Commission) that has a visa section. For further information regarding UK visas please see the following web pages: Accommodation, fees and funding

•A  pplications may only be made after firmly accepting an offer of a place to study at the College; the deadline for accommodation applications is 30 June 2011. •F  or home students, you can apply for your Student Support package from January 2011 onwards. You can apply online or download your form at

About your offer

• Applicants must refer to the information in the My accommodation brochure before completing an online accommodation application.


Accommodation King’s offers a range of accommodation to suit the varied needs of students; whether you choose to apply for a College, Intercollegiate or nominated residence or live in private accommodation.

Residences All full-time undergraduate students who apply on time and whose home address is outside the M25 ring road and who are entering higher education in the UK for the first time on a programme of two or more years’ duration are guaranteed the offer of one year (not necessarily their first) in either a College, Intercollegiate or nominated residence. The majority of King’s residences are in central London, and most are close to King’s teaching campuses. All are within the London travel zones one and two. We have limited accommodation for couples. International Hall has provision for families, priority for which is given to new international applicants (apply direct). There is more information about residences on the following pages. Check for up-to-date details. Accommodation procedure

Accommodation Services produce an electronic brochure called My accommodation which can be viewed and downloaded from their website The brochure is designed to provide you with information on all of the College and University Intercollegiate residences, along with details of any nomination agreements for privately managed residences. There are details of the available facilities, accommodation charges, application process and allocations policy. General advice on seeking alternative accommodation in the private rented sector is also provided. This guide provides a summary of accommodation services and applicants should carefully read the My accommodation brochure before completing an accommodation application. Details of the application procedure and policy are provided within the My accommodation brochure. If you satisfy all of these criteria, you are new to higher education, your home address is outside the M25 and we receive your accommodation application by 30 June, you should expect to receive an offer of a place in your first year of study. You may apply for accommodation even if your family home is within the M25 ring road or you have previously commenced a programme of study at higher education level within the UK although your application will have lower priority and will not be considered before the start of session in September.


Please note, applications are only accepted from applicants who have firmly accepted a conditional (CF) or unconditional (UF) offer of a place on an academic programme at the College. Applicants holding King’s as their insurance offer may not submit an online application to Accommodation Services until all conditions of entry have been satisfied and the applicant has a confirmed place at the College; for undergraduate applicants this will usually be after publication of A-level results.

Applicants with a disability and/or special housing requirements should make early contact with the College’s Disability & Dyslexia Service and Accommodation Services to discuss any specific support needs and so that any housing requirements may be assessed. Applicants indicating special housing requirements are directed to a self-assessment form which must be completed in liaison with their GP/specialist and must be returned to Accommodation Services at the time of application. Forms are available at Accommodation applications for 2011-12 entry will be available to applicants via the web.

To apply online go to: and follow the instructions. Please make sure that you chose the appropriate application period according to your student status and year of application. Access to the online application system will only be permitted for applicants who meet the application criteria. Communication from Accommodation Services regarding acknowledgements and confirmation of offers will usually be by email to the email address notified by the applicant to the College via the UCAS application. The accommodation system is continually reviewed; for more information on developments, please refer to


We recognise the importance for international students of securing accommodation for your first year at university. Priority for places within each quota is therefore given to eligible applicants who have not lived or studied in the UK before and whose application for accommodation is received by Accommodation Services by 30 June, prior to commencing study in September of the same year.

King’s residences All King’s residences are non-smoking and provide CCTV, security, swipe card access and laundry facilities. A limited number of places may be available in single gender accommodation; applicants should indicate a preference on their application


A quota of places is allocated to Study Abroad Independent applicants as well as Study Abroad Exchange applicants from partner universities outside of the EU who submit their accommodation application before the 30 June closing date. Due to the limited number of places in our residences it may not be possible to offer rooms to Study Abroad Exchange candidates applying from partner universities within the EU and such applicants are unlikely to be considered prior to the start of session.


Accommodation King’s Accommodation Services are based at the Strand. Opening times: 9.45-16.00 weekdays (except Thursdays). Telephone 9.30-17.00 weekdays.

and check availability with Accommodation Services/Residence Office; regrettably, availability of facilities cannot be guaranteed. See map on page 33 for location of residences.

Brian Creamer House (undergraduates only)

• Self-catered. • 69 single bedrooms in corridor style. Shared kitchens, toilets and bathrooms. • Zone 1 (within the Congestion Charge zone) within walking distance of the Strand and Waterloo campuses. Shared facilities include small TV lounge, wireless internet connection and cycle racks. Hampstead Residence

• Self-catered. • Corridor style with 428 single bedrooms, a number of twin rooms and two selfcontained bedsits/flats. Shared kitchens, toilets and bathrooms. • Located in zone 2. Shared facilities include TV lounges, a bar, music practice room with piano, wireless internet connection, computer room equipped with printers, study rooms and communal grounds. Stamford Street Apartments

• Self-catered. • Apartment style with 548 en-suite single bedrooms in 89 apartments. Two rooms suitable for couples. All rooms are equipped with fridge and wired internet. • Zone 1 (within the Congestion Charge zone), within walking distance of Waterloo, Strand and Guy’s campuses. Apartments contain a communal kitchen with TV. Other shared facilities include on-site cycle store and adjacent bar and KCLSU gym (for which an additional fee is payable) available on Waterloo Campus. Wolfson House

• Self-catered. • Accommodation for 269 students. Most single rooms are located on corridors with a small number grouped in small cluster flats. • Shared kitchens, toilets and bathrooms.


• Zone 1 location (within the Congestion Charge zone) within walking distance of Guy’s and Waterloo campuses. Shared facilities include a small common room with TV and wireless internet connection. Facilities at the Guy’s Campus including bar, refectory, library and computer rooms, are within walking distance. Great Dover Street Apartments

• Self-catered. • Apartment style with 769 en-suite single bedrooms in 113 apartments. • All rooms are equipped with a fridge and wired internet connection. • Zone 1 (within the Congestion Charge zone) within walking distance of Guy’s and Waterloo campuses. Apartments contain a communal kitchen with TV. Other shared facilities include TV lounge and social space with pool table and table tennis, cycle shed, 24 hour computer room with printers. King’s College Hall

• Catered • Corridor style 454 single rooms and shared accommodation suitable for couples. Shared toilets and bathrooms • Located in zone 2. Shared facilities include a bar, squash courts, snooker, music practice rooms, study room, computer room equipped with printers, TV lounge, off street parking, wireless internet connection and communal grounds. The Rectory

Shared facilities include small TV lounge, wireless internet connection, bike shed, and communal garden. Limited off-street parking is available.


• Self-catered. • Corridor style with 24 single and two double rooms for postgraduates and mature undergraduates only. • Shared kitchens, toilets and bathrooms. • Zone 1 (within the Congestion Charge zone) within walking distance of the Strand and Waterloo campuses.



maintenance and redecoration programmes

The College keeps under review the quality and style of its accommodation. There are plans to develop rooms at Hampstead and King’s College Hall as well as routine redecorations. Some facilities/services may be altered during the works, further details will be on the website. nominated residences

Liberty House, St John Street. A number of rooms are available under a nomination agreement. Located in zone 1. Studios are furnished with a kitchenette with integrated fridge, microwave and hob. Bedroom furniture includes a bed, wardrobe, desk, chair and bedside cabinet. Telephone and internet connection and a flat screen television also provided. Additional nominated residences may be available, check for details. University of London Intercollegiate Halls

These accept full-time students from all the Colleges within the University of London. All of the Intercollegiate Halls accommodate primarily undergraduate students. Half of the places at International Hall are reserved for overseas postgraduate and undergraduate students. Most of the Intercollegiate Halls (excluding Nutford House) are located in the Bloomsbury area. All Intercollegiate Halls are catered and have laundry facilities, TV room, music room and quiet study room. Private student residences

Students may also apply to a range of privately-managed residences which offer high specification accommodation at rents starting at around £200-£250 per week. Details of these halls and some independent hostels can be found on the University of London Housing Services (ULHS) website

Private rented sector accommodation The supply of privately-let accommodation is greater and more varied in London than in many other parts of the country and therefore there is an enormous range of rents. Although staff are not able to find private accommodation on a student’s behalf, they are able to give advice. In addition to the College Accommodation Services, King’s students may use the University of London Housing Services (ULHS), which specialises in helping students find private accommodation. The ULHS has an excellent website and password access is available to prospective students. Lists of vacant properties are available throughout the year. Lists of hostels and accommodation agencies, and information on a range of housing issues are also


available. The ULHS also supplies a list of students who wish to share a house or flat. Visit for more details. Advice and information sheets are also available from Student Advice & International Student Support at PRE-COURSE ACCOMMODATION

Students who wish to look for private accommodation or have not found accommodation, may book temporary accommodation during the summer vacation through the King’s Conference & Timetabling Service and come into the College’s Accommodation Services for further assistance. Accommodation fees

Prices vary according to facilities and locations. The table on this page gives a guide, based on 2010-11 prices and accommodation style and are subject to upward revision for 2011-12; heating and lighting costs are included in the fees, as are meals where provided. Standard residence agreements are offered for a fixed period (usually 40 weeks for King’s and Liberty Living residences or 37 weeks at Intercollegiate halls). Accommodation costs Type of accommodation

Single room

Shared room

Location given with London postcode district, eg SE1

costs per person, per week (2010-11 prices)

costs per person (for shared rooms) or per couple, per week (2010-11 prices)

Apartments Great Dover Street SE1



Stamford Street SE1


Couple: £194.67

Self Catered Residences Brian Creamer House SE1



Hampstead Residence NW3


Shared rooms £78.05 Couple £155.05 – £182.21


Couple £192.57


Couple £155.61


Couples £145.04 – £161.14

Catered Residences King’s College Hall SE5 Nominated Residences Liberty House EC1

£255 (Studio)

Intercollegiate halls Six in WC1, one in W1

£142.10 – £211.05

Shared rooms £112.00 – £143.15 Couple £178.50 – £420.00


Wolfson House SE1 Rectory SE1


Fees & funding The Student Funding Office offers confidential advice to both prospective and current students covering issues such as tuition fees, living expenses, student loans and other financial help available at King’s.

Below is a summary of the expected statutory support package that you will be eligible to apply for, before you start university, through either (depending on where you live) Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland, the Student Awards Agency for Scotland, or the EU Customer Services Team for EU students. In addition to this package of support, there is also discretionary funding available to you such as the King’s myScholarship Scheme, the Access to Learning Fund and the International Hardship Fund. Home Students New undergraduates

• Student loan for fees (up to £3,375) • Student loan for maintenance (up to £6,928) • HE Maintenance Grant (up to £2,906) • King’s myBursary (up to £1,350) EU Students New undergraduates

• Student loan for fees (up to £3,375)

King’s myBursary for Home students Who is eligible for a King’s myBursary?

New full-time undergraduate students starting university in 2011-12 who qualify for an HE Maintenance Grant (see page 15) will be eligible for a myBursary. You do not need to apply to the myBursary scheme, as we will receive notification from the Student Loans Company of your HE Maintenance Grant entitlement, provided you ensure that you consent to share your data with the College when you make your application for Student Finance. How much could I receive?

For all new full-time, home undergraduate students, depending on the level of maintenance grant you are awarded, King’s will award a myBursary in 2011-12 as follows:




£2,200 – £2,906


£1,500 – £2,199


£700 – £1,499


£50 – £699


Students from Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland

Welsh students in receipt of the Assembly Learning Grant, Scottish students in receipt of the Students’ Outside Scotland Bursary and Northern Irish students in receipt of the Maintenance Grant will all receive a King’s myBursary provided you ensure that you consent to share your data with the College when you make your application for Student Finance. When will I receive my myBursary?

You will receive your myBursary in two instalments over the academic year and it does not have to be repaid.

King’s myScholarship for Home/EU and International students Rewarding Excellence at King’s

The King’s myScholarship scheme is open to Home/EU and International full-time undergraduate students who begin their course in 2011. King’s intends to offer 40 scholarships to first year undergraduates starting in 2011, valued at £1,800 each. Please refer to the website at for updated information. Am I eligible for a King’s myScholarship?

How are myScholarships awarded?

myScholarship awards will be distributed across all Schools of study at King’s. At the end of your first year, each School Board of Examiners will select those students who both: • excelled in their studies during the year, and • contributed to the student life of their department, School or the College.


As a new full-time undergraduate student starting university in 2011-12, you will automatically be eligible to be considered for a King’s myScholarship.


Fees & funding

When will I receive my myScholarship?

For 2011-12, the final meetings of School Boards will take place in October 2012. This is when recommendations will be agreed and successful students will receive their myScholarship awards. If you have any queries about the myBursary or myScholarship scheme, please visit or contact the Student Funding Office.

Tuition fees Tuition Fees for Home/EU undergraduate and PGCE students in 2011

King’s offers the highest quality research-led teaching and, under the provisions of the Higher Education Act, is expecting to charge Home/EU students tuition fees of £3,375 for all undergraduate programmes. However, most of you will not need to pay any fees yourself whilst you are studying unless you wish to. Instead, you will be able to defer payment by taking out a student loan for fees. Tuition Fees for International undergraduate students

Fees for overseas full-time students for the academic year 2010-11 are as follows: Classroom-based programmes £12,500 Laboratory-based (except MPharm) programmes £15,850 Overseas MPharm programmes £13,500 Clinically-based programmes £29,400 In order to determine which level your programme will be charged at, contact the relevant School of study. Self-funded students – tuition fee payment conditions

Fees will be payable in two equal instalments. The first instalment is due for payment by 31 October or 14 days from date of invoice if later. The second instalment is due for payment by 31 January or 14 days from date of invoice if later. An early settlement refund of two per cent of total fees will be forwarded to students who make full payment of their tuition fees prior to 31 October or within 14 days of the date of invoice if later. Certain programmes are excluded from this arrangement which you will be advised about. Sponsored students – tuition fee payment conditions

Where a student provides a valid sponsor letter at registration from an external corporate body agreeing to pay tuition fees, the invoice will be sent direct to the sponsoring


organisation and payment of the invoice is due immediately. A student who is sponsored by a friend or relative will be regarded as responsible for their own fees.

Student loans – Home/EU students Student Loan for Fees

In 2011-12, it is expected that most home and EU full-time undergraduate students will not have to pay tuition fees whilst studying, unless you wish to. Instead, you will be able to apply for a ‘student loan for fees’. The ‘student loan for fees’ is a loan that will be available to all eligible home and EU full-time undergraduates to match the level of tuition fees you have to pay, through the Student Loans Company (SLC) in the same way as home undergraduates will have a ‘student loan for maintenance’. This means that you will be deferring payment of your tuition fees until after you have left university. The SLC will pay your fee contribution to the university on your behalf, and the value of the fee will be consolidated with your student loans for maintenance, where appropriate, and will be repaid in the same way. You will only start repaying these loans once you have finished studying and are earning more than £15,000 a year. Both new and existing undergraduate students who have previously completed an honours degree at a UK or overseas institution will not be eligible for tuition fee loans, or the HE Maintenance Grant or the Special Support Grant. You will also be ineligible for a student loan for maintenance, unless you are undertaking a course leading to a professional qualification in medicine or dentistry, or are in receipt of a means-tested NHS Bursary. Please note – Students undertaking the four-year Graduate/Professional Entry Programmes (Medicine/Dentistry) or the four-year Maxfax Entry Programme (Medicine/Dentistry) will not be eligible to take up a student loan for fees for year one of their course. However, years two to four will be NHS funded (see page 18).

You can apply for a student loan for fees as part of your application for student support. Further information can be found on our website at or visit the Directgov website at EU students can contact the EU Student loans Customer Services Team on (+44) (0)141 243 3570 or at


How to apply


Fees & funding

Student Loans for Maintenance – Home students

Student loans are part of the financial student support package available to assist both new and existing full-time Home undergraduate and PGCE students with their living expenses. All eligible students are entitled to 72 per cent of the maximum figure. Whether you can get any or all of the remaining 28 per cent will depend on your income and that of your household. The amount of student loan for maintenance you request can be any amount up to your maximum entitlement, as decided by Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (depending on where you live). Loan rates for 2010-11 Full year Maximum available

72 per cent non means-tested

28 per cent means-tested









Parental Home




Final year+ Maximum available

72 per cent non means-tested

28 per cent means-tested









Parental Home




Reduced rate loans* Full year

Final year







Parental home



*Reduced-rate loans for income assessed NHS/DH/SNM bursary holders only.


How to Apply

Applications should be made through Student Finance England/Wales/Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (depending on where you live), at the same time as you are applying for your HE Maintenance Grant for new students (see below) or when you are applying for help towards your tuition fees if you are an existing student. Repayments of your consolidated student loans start in the April after you leave higher education, and only once you start earning over £15,000. Repayments will depend on the amount you earn, not the amount you borrowed. You will only repay nine per cent of your earnings above £15,000 (about £7.50 per month if you’re earning £16,000).

HE Maintenance Grant – Home students New, full-time Home undergraduates are eligible to apply for an HE Maintenance Grant of up to £2,906. The HE Maintenance Grant will depend on your income and that of your household and does not have to be paid back. Please visit to view the income assessment thresholds set by the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (DBIS). Important – Loan Substitution

New students in receipt of the HE Maintenance Grant will have your ‘student loan for maintenance’ entitlement affected. If you are receiving any amount of HE Maintenance Grant you will have your ‘student loan for maintenance’ entitlement reduced by 50p for each £1 of maintenance grant you receive. If your HE Maintenance Grant is £2,906, then your loan entitlement will be reduced by a maximum of £1,453.


Grants will be payable in three instalments; one at the start of each term together with your student loan for maintenance. You should apply as part of your Student Support package through Student Finance England/Wales/Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland.


Fees & funding

Special Support Grant

An alternative grant exists to the HE Maintenance Grant for those students who are eligible to receive, but not necessarily in receipt of, means-tested benefits. The Special Support Grant will also be worth up to around £2,906, and although the same rules as above will apply for this grant, there will not be any substitution of loan for grant. If your home is in Wales, Scotland or Northern ireland

For further information about student finance arrangements in Wales, visit the Student Finance Wales website at You should contact the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) at for information about arrangements in Scotland. You should contact Student Finance Northern Ireland at for information about arrangements in Northern Ireland.

Other grants – Home/EU students Childcare Grant

For full-time students with dependent children in registered and approved childcare. How much help you receive will depend on your circumstances and on whether you are classed as a dependent or independent student. Parents’ Learning Allowance

For help with course-related costs for full-time students who have dependent children. How much you receive depends on your income and that of your dependants, spouse or partner. Child Tax Credit

Students with dependent children are eligible for Child Tax Credit from the Inland Revenue. To find out if you are eligible, call 0845 300 3900 or visit Adult Dependants’ Grant

This is for full-time students with adult dependants. You may be eligible for this grant if you are a full-time student who has a partner (including a partner of the same sex) or another adult, usually a member of your family, who depends on you financially.


Travel Costs Grant

If you have to pay extra travel costs as a result of your course, you can get a grant towards reasonable costs for travel to and from: • the place in the UK where your clinical training takes place for medical and dental students; or • the country you have to go to if you are studying abroad. Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

This helps with the extra costs students have as a result of undertaking your course and as a direct result of your disability or specific learning disability. The DSA is non-means tested, which means that any other income or benefits you receive do not affect your entitlement. Your parent’s income will also not be taken into account. For more information, contact the Disability & Dyslexia Service or visit More detailed information about Disabled Students’ Allowances can also be found via the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS), who provide a detailed guide called Bridging the Gap about DSAs at State Benefits

Some students in full-time higher education may still be eligible to claim Income Support (help with living costs) and Housing Benefit (help with housing costs). Single Parents

If you are a single parent, you may still be able to claim Income Support depending on the age of your youngest child and when you started the course. For further information on all of the above grants, please visit or contact the Student Funding Office at King’s.

Access to Learning Fund – Home students

The Access to Learning Fund is a fund given to universities to assist students in financial difficulties. All full-time and most part-time ‘home’ students are eligible to apply. Applicants simply complete an online application via OneSpace, after enrolling which is assessed by our Student Funding Office. Visit for further details.


Financial support at King’s – Home/EU and International students


Fees & funding

International Hardship Fund – EU and International students

The College has set aside limited funds to assist EU and international students in unexpected financial difficulty. If financial difficulties arise then you should contact the Student Advice Service, the Student Funding Office or your personal tutor to discuss your circumstances. NHS bursaries

NHS bursaries are available for full-time or part-time pre-registration courses in England and Wales. The following subjects are eligible for support: dentistry, dietetics, medicine, midwifery, nursing and physiotherapy. It is important that students considering health care professional training refer to the Financial Help for Healthcare Students booklet available to view or download from or on the NHS Student Grants Unit website at Medical and Dental Courses

Undergraduate medical and dental students living in England and Wales on standard five- to six-year courses in the UK will be eligible for income-assessed NHS bursaries and help with tuition fees in their fifth and further years of study. They can also receive the reduced rate Student Loan in their fifth and further years of study. For the first four years on the medical or dental course their support will be on the same basis as for other undergraduate students. A year spent on an Intercalated BSc counts as a ‘year of study’. Important Students undertaking the four-year Graduate/Professional Entry

Programmes (Medicine/Dentistry) or the four-year Maxfax Entry Programme (Medicine/Dentistry) will not be eligible to take up a student loan for fees for year one of their course. However, years two to four will be NHS funded. Students on medical and dental courses should visit the NHS Student Grants website at and check the Financial Help for Healthcare Students booklet.

Funding opportunities for international students A number of scholarships are available for international students applying to King’s. Please visit the international web pages for further information:


International Students with Disabilities Fund

The International Students with Disabilities Fund (ISDF) is available for International and EU students who are studying at King’s with a disability on a parttime, full-time, undergraduate, postgraduate or exchange basis. More information is available from the Disability Support Team

Applying for student support – Home students You should apply for your Student Support package online through Student Finance England/Wales/Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (depending on where you live). You should start thinking about applying for financial help as soon as you have applied for a place on a course. Do not wait until you have a confirmed place on a course before applying – simply quote the course that you think you are most likely to attend. If your course changes after you apply, tell Student Finance straight away. It is also important to inform Student Finance about any disability or health condition at this stage, so that information can be sent to you about any additional funding which may be available. If you want to check what help you might be entitled to, try the online calculator at We strongly recommend that if you want your first instalment of financial support to be available at the start of your term, you should return your application as soon as possible. You can apply from January 2011 onwards. You should obtain an application form from Student Finance or you can apply online or download your form at Students should also note that if you submit a late application, which has not been fully assessed by 1 December 2011, you will be asked to pay your tuition fee in full until such time as your assessment is finalised.


Please contact the Student Funding Office here at King’s or one of our Student Advisers (see page 30) for help with any aspect of applying for support. You can also visit the Student Finance website for updates on student support arrangements in 2011-12.


Fees & funding

Living Expenses It is impossible to be exact about students’ living expenses. As ever, it depends on what you choose to do. London can be expensive but the laws of supply and demand also decree that big cities can be amongst the cheapest to live in. London is almost without equal when it comes to ways in which to spend your money and enjoy your free time, whatever your interests. Even better, the opportunities to get the best out of London on a limited budget are enormous. Living expenses per year

You need to ensure that you have sufficient funds for your fees and that you have enough money for accommodation, food, travel, books and other living expenses (NB this is now a condition of entry for international students). Students should assume that the estimated living expenses given below represent a guide to the sum required to live in reasonable comfort in London for each of the teaching sessions mentioned. If you have dependent children, we recommend that you add a further £2,000 per child. Home Student




Single student




Married student




International student




Single student








Council tax exemption

Eligible students must be enrolled on a full-time course, which is normally defined as a course requiring attendance for at least 21 hours a week for at least 24 weeks each year. A person who is entitled to an exemption certificate has this taken into account when the council tax bill is calculated. It does not affect the liability of everyone over 18 in the property to pay council tax. In the case of a property solely occupied by full-time students who are joint tenants, they are all liable for a nil council tax bill, provided they have all sent in their exemption certificates. Where a student lives in a property with non- students a council tax bill will be issued; although legally full-time students cannot be held liable for any amount of council tax, non-student housemates


may expect a contribution. Where a student lives with only one non-student they will receive a 25 per cent discount for the property. Once you have enrolled, and require a Council Tax Exemption Certificate you should visit the Compass student centre at the Strand in person, where certificate requests are handled. Student Oyster Photocard Scheme

All full-time undergraduate students aged 18 and over can apply for a Student Oyster Photocard, as long as your course lasts at least 14 weeks. Further eligibility criteria applies. With a valid Student Oyster Photocard, you can buy Travelcards and Bus Passes at 30 per cent off the equivalent adult rate on weekly and monthly Travelcards which will be valid on National Rail trains in the London area, as well as on the Tube, Docklands Light Railway, Tramlink and London bus services. For more information on eligibility and how to apply, visit Working in London

Students in London benefit from the wealth and variety of part-time and vacation work offered by London companies. Plus you have the advantage of earning higher rates of pay in the capital. King’s Careers Service advertises vacancies for part-time, temporary, voluntary and vacation work (see A wide range of casual work is available in the Student’s Union and, through the Conference & Vacation Bureau, in student residences throughout the year. If you are an international student, new Government legislation has made it easier for you to work part-time. More information can be found by visiting or from the Student Advice and International Student Support Service at King’s.

Managing your money FEES & FUNDING

We recommend you start planning how you will manage your money before you start university. If you have never lived away from home or created a budget before, one of our Student Advisers will be able to help you. To a great extent, your financial situation whilst studying is determined by how well you are able to manage your money whilst studying and the lifestyle that you choose to lead. If you have a budget outlining your income and are able to control your expenses, you should be able to minimise the risk of running out of money whilst studying. This will also ensure that you leave university having accumulated the minimum of debt.


Learning & Language support Studying at university can be daunting for new students, whether you need additional support to aid your learning or help with your English language or study skills.

Learning support Studying within higher education can be demanding and many students find they need to consider how they approach a new learning environment. This can be even more difficult for those with disabilities, learning differences or other health conditions that may affect their learning and academic ability. At King’s, a number of facilities are available and accessible across the College and from the Disability & Dyslexia Service. If you think you may need some advice or information about the services the College offers in support of your time as a student then please contact us. The earlier you do so the better and if this is before you enrol then we can help have support in place before you start. There are a number of facilities available within the College including:

• An in-house dyslexia adviser service with 1-2-1 study skills support • Assistance with access to the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) for home students and the International Students with Disabilities Fund (ISDF) for overseas and EU students • Assessments of Need for access to funding options • Dyslexia screening and referrals to Educational Psychologists for full assessments • Information about special examination provisions or getting coursework cover notes for students with dyslexia • Changes to library loans for students with dyslexia Specialist software is also available on College computers including:

- I nspiration – mind mapping and planning software -T  exthelp! Read and Write – a sophisticated spellchecker and reading software -S  upernova – offers visual and hearing support -D  ragon Naturally Speaking – speech recognition software on specialist machines


Study skills & English language support The English Language Centre (ELC) works across the College and is accredited by the British Council. The 2009 inspection awarded the ELC points of excellence in six general categories, the highest score achieved across all Colleges in the University of London. The ELC provides training and support to both non-native and native English speakers. Our tutors are well-qualified and experienced and fully understand the challenges and anxieties you might face. What can you study at the ELC?

In addition to the Foundation, Pre-Master’s and Two-Year International Master’s programmes that run throughout the year, the ELC also run the following to help support King’s students in their studies. In-sessional & Study Skills

The ELC offers in-sessional and study skills courses for all King’s students, whether you are a native or non-native English speaker. All the support is free and runs throughout the academic year. The support focuses on the language and study skills that will help you make the most of your time at King’s and achieve your potential. The series of lectures, workshops and online resources will help you develop both your academic language and key academic skills such as learning how to be a critical, independent learner and writing effectivley in an academic environment. Pre-sessional courses run throughout the summer (June-September). These full-time, intensive courses are open to all non-native speaking students who hold degree offers from King’s or other UK universities. The course prepares you for the demands of higher education by focusing on improving your language skills within an academic context, with a particular focus on improving your extended academic writing skills, developing your critical approaches to reading and developing your library-based research skills.


Pre-sessional courses


Life at King’s Choosing King’s means combining academic excellence with a great students’ union and a multitude of opportunities both to support your studies and your social life.

Academic life Academic excellence

• Academics who are international leaders in their field. • King’s students have access to some of the most exciting, cutting-edge research in the world. • Located in the heart of the cultural capital, with a wealth of research facilities and academic societies, such as the British Library and Royal Society on your doorstep. • Connected to the corridors of power, London’s knowledge capital and host to three of the world’s greatest teaching hospitals. • Awarded ‘confidence’ (the highest ranking) in the soundness of the management of our academic services and quality of learning opportunities by the Quality Assurance Agency 2009 award. Academic culture

One of the key features of higher education in the UK, and particularly at King’s, is that you will have direct contact with academic members of staff within your department. You are likely to have large group lectures, but you will also have smaller group seminars, practical sessions and tutorials. You may also see members of staff individually on occasions. Students are expected to actively participate in small group sessions and engage in discussions, rather than simply listen. The academic culture is also relatively informal. Staff members will tell you how they wish to be addressed, but in many cases you will be on first name terms with them. Staff are also there to support and guide you through your programme, but you should bear in mind that you are responsible for your own learning. Time outside of lectures is your own but the understanding is that you will be spending a considerable amount of your time studying. Staff will not tell you to do this; it is something that is expected of you.


Study resources

Information Services & Systems (ISS) provides library and IT services at King’s. Information Services Centres (ISCs) and libraries are located at all the main sites of the College and they provide IT and software support; helpdesks, online enquiry services, photocopying, scanning, lending and reference services, document delivery, individual and group study facilities, access to print and electronic information resources. Opening hours vary between campuses and between term time and vacation periods. Access to computers

Computers are provided at all sites and provide access to a wide range of software, including Microsoft Office, statistical packages, web browsers and subject-specific learning resources. Rooms have printing, data storage and remote access facilities and some computer rooms are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Wireless

Using wireless, you have access to the internet from laptops or PDAs without having to visit a computer room. You can use it for a range of day-to-day work activities including accessing email, downloading lecture notes and past examination papers, searching databases and consulting e-books and e-journals. The wireless networking service at King’s is compatible with PCs, Macs and handhelds (PDAs). Remember that the voltage levels in the UK may differ from those in your home country, so you may need to use a voltage adapter with laptops or other electronic equipment. Email

You should receive your King’s email username and password at enrolment. It is important that you use your King’s email because it is the principal means of communication between staff and students.


Life at King’s

Information resources

ISS provides access to a huge multidisciplinary, multi-campus information resource base including over one million books, thousands of print and electronic journals, archives and special collections of historical significance. A number of bibliographic and full text databases are available to enable you to find useful research and information to support your study. The extensive portfolio of remotely accessible electronic resources also includes international library catalogues, internet resource discovery tools, subject gateways, data sets, multimedia resources and e-books. Students also have access to the wealth of specialist libraries, archives and collections in and around London. Liaison and subject support

A dedicated subject specialist is available to support your information needs and to ensure that ISS resources are relevant and of a high quality. They can offer advice on a wide range of issues, including information resources and training opportunities. Training

Developing an awareness of relevant information tools, software and services, and learning how to access and exploit these resources effectively, is essential for effective study. ISS provides important training timetabled into your induction programme. Please make the most of this opportunity to improve your information skills. SUPPORT SERVICES

In addition to study resources, at King’s you will enjoy a comprehensive range of facilities and services to help support your studies and make the most of your time at the College. These include: Student Advice & International Student Support (helping students with a wide range of issues covering immigration advice, money management, legal issues and housing); The Compass (a ‘one stop shop’ for all student enquiries with a quiet study area); Careers Service; counselling; religious provision & pastoral care; Disability & Dyslexia Service; fitness, health & sport; personal tutors and support for mature students. You can find more information on all of these services on our website.


Social life King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU)

At KCLSU, our mission is to support you during your time at King’s through: • organising social, sporting and cultural activities where you can make new friends • providing opportunities for you to develop transferable skills that will increase your employability when you graduate • ensuring there are ways for you to voice your opinion on the issues that affect you • providing independent support and advice when you need it. Because we are a student-led organisation, we put what students want at the centre of everything we do. When you enrol at King’s you’ll automatically become a member of KCLSU, which means you can take advantage of all the services we offer. Welcome Weeks

To help you settle in, get to know your fellow students and get a flavour of some of the activities available to you at King’s, KCLSU organises a two-week programme of activities for new students called ‘Welcome Weeks’ at the start of the academic year. Things to do in your spare time

Whether you’ve been doing it for years or you just feel like trying something new, there are an enormous variety of sports clubs, societies, volunteering opportunities and campaigning groups where you can get involved. You’re spoilt for choice, but if there’s something you feel is missing, we can also help you get your own student activity group up and running. Sports


From rugby to ultimate frisbee, rowing to kung fu, there’s a club to suit most tastes. King’s has a range of sporting facilities, including four sports grounds close to central London and KCLSU has strong links with other University of London teams. KCLSU’s Kinetic Fitness Club also provides high quality gym facilities at great value prices.


Life at King’s


If you are not the athletic type, there are over 100 societies you could join including comedy, debating, dance, musical theatre, politics, rock, food and many more. The Greenwood Theatre is just one of the facilities available and the various events each society organises are highlights in the social calendar. Volunteering

Through KCLSU you can contribute to the local community surrounding King’s. We offer a range of projects and events across London where you can volunteer your time or help raise funds, and learn valuable skills in the process. Student Media

Roar is the King’s student newspaper, produced monthly by a student editorial team. There are a variety of opportunities open to students – from photography, writing, layout and design, so it’s easy to find a role that best suits your talents. King’s also has its own radio station KCL Radio. Work opportunities

KCLSU employs over 300 students to staff our venues so there’s also an opportunity for you to earn some extra money whilst at King’s. We can work around your academic schedule and have a range of opportunities available. Places to go

KCLSU has some amazing places to get together with new friends in a safe and secure environment. Our two bars, the Waterfront (Strand Campus) and Guy’s Bar (Guy’s Campus) serve a range of food and drinks all day, making them ideal places to relax and enjoy yourself. Our late night venue Tutu’s (named after alumnus Desmond Tutu) hosts a range of club nights and as it’s situated six floors up and right next to the Thames, the view of London’s skyline is unrivalled. To find out more, just pop into one of our Student Centres at Guy’s, Strand or Waterloo campuses and speak to one of our staff, or find out more information online at


London life Studying in London brings many advantages, for your time at King’s and your future career. King’s has connections to all walks of London life, be it government, business, industry, charities or the cultural sector. As a student you’ll benefit from these links, both on your programme, in the networks and contacts you make, and through the opportunity to take part in events and hear speakers who we invite to the College. CULTURAL AND ACADEMIC RESOURCES

London life is full, colourful and varied. There is a wealth of cultural and academic resources on your doorstep, from world-famous museums, libraries, theatres and galleries, to specialised collections and societies. There are many guides available (both in print and online) to all that London has to offer, and weekly magazines such as Time Out to keep you up-to-date with what is happening. AFFORDABLE LONDON

As a student, it can cost you less to enjoy London than at any other time of your life. With around 16 per cent of the UK total student population living in London, the capital is well geared up for students. Discounts abound at shops, restaurants, bars and clubs, and you’ll soon find where to shop – and where to avoid.

We look forward to welcoming you to King’s.


Contact details

Key contacts Accommodation Accommodation Services King’s College London Strand Campus Strand London WC2R 2LS Tel +44 (0)20 7848 2759 Fax +44 (0)20 7848 2724

Room 7.36 James Clerk Maxwell Building 57 Waterloo Road London SE1 8WA Tel +44 (0)20 7848 3398

English Language Centre For information on study skills and language support for all students

University of London Housing Services 4th floor, ULU Building Malet Street London WC1E 7HY Tel +44 (0)20 7862 8880 Fax +44 (0)20 7862 8084

English Language Centre King’s College London 26-29 Drury Lane London WC2B 5RL Tel +44 (0)20 7848 1600 Fax +44 (0)20 7848 1601


Finance & funding

King’s Careers Service

The Compass For general enquiries and advice to prospective students about applying to and studying at King’s, and specialist support services as well as a quiet study space for students Tel +44 (0)20 7848 7070


Disability & Dyslexia Service

For advice on King’s bursaries, scholarships, tuition fees, student loans and hardship funds Student Funding Office King’s College London G.31 James Clerk Maxwell Building Waterloo Campus 57 Waterloo Road London SE1 8WA Tel +44 (0)20 7848 4362/4471/4472

For advice on payment of tuition fees and invoicing Finance (Credit Control) Office King’s College London 6.20 James Clerk Maxwell Building Waterloo Campus 57 Waterloo Road London SE1 8WA Tel +44 (0)20 7848 3290/3372

Students’ Union

Tuition fee status UKCISA 9–17 St Albans Place London N1 0NX Tel +44 (0)20 7288 4330

University of London Union (ULU) Tel +44 (0)20 7664 2000

International students

KCLSU Macadam Building Surrey Street London WC2R 2NS Tel +44 (0)20 7848 1588 Offices also at Guy’s and Waterloo campuses

National Union of Students (NUS) Tel +44 (0)20 7272 8900

For general information on studying at King’s contact The Compass. For information about visits to your country and other events see details below. International Marketing Team Tel +44 (0)20 7848 3388 See also Student Advice and English Language Centre

Tel +44 (0)20 7848 6858


Student advice & international student support For advice about immigration, finances, welfare benefits & legal matters


Contact details

General Advice & Information for International Students Immigration & Government departments UK Visas Foreign & Commonwealth Office King Charles Street London SW1A 2AH Tel +44 (0)20 7008 8438 For general information on visas. Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI) 115 Old Street London EC1V 9RT Tel +44 (0)20 7251 8708 For advice on immigration and nationality problems. Immigration Advisory Service (IAS) 3rd Floor, County House 190 Great Dover Street London SE1 4YB Tel +44 (0)20 7967 1200 or +44 (0)20 7378 9191 outside office hours For urgent advice if you are refused entry into the UK on arrival at a port of entry.

Home Office Public Enquiry Office Initial Consideration Unit (Border & Immigration Agency) Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road Croydon CR9 2BY Tel +44 (0)870 606 7766 For an application form please call +44 (0)870 241 0645 or download from the Border & Immigration Agency website. Overseas Visitors Records Office (Metropolitan Police) Ground Floor, Brandon House 180 Borough High Street London SE1 1LH Tel +44 (0)20 7230 1208/1286 Registration with the police is required for some international students.

General advice & information The British Council Tel +44 (0)161 957 7755 UKCISA UK Council for International Student Affairs 9-17 St Albans Place Islington London N1 0NX Tel +44 (0)20 7288 4330 Student Advice Line +44 (0)20 7107 9922 Offers information and advice to all international students.



hampstead campus ISLINGTON


Intercollegiate Halls VICTORIA PARK



Great Dover St Apartments CITY




Wolfson House




Stamford St Apartments OVAL


The Rectory


Brian Creamer House





1 Lord’s Cricket Ground

8 Covent Garden

15 Tate Modern

2 University of London Union

9 Marble Arch

16 Houses of Parliament

3 University Library

10 National Gallery & Trafalgar Square

17 Westminster Abbey

4 British Museum 5 Barbican Centre

11 South Bank Complex

19 Royal Courts of Justice

6 St Paul’s Cathedral

12 Buckingham Palace

20 London Eye

7 Tower of London & Tower Bridge

13 Lambeth Walk 14 Museums

18 Tate Gallery

King’s College Hall

This document is available in alternative formats. Contact the Marketing Department, King’s College London, tel 020 7848 3997. King’s is ranked in the top 25 universities worldwide* and based in the heart of London. With nine Schools and six Medical Research Council centres, King’s offers world-class teaching and research. Our extensive range of subjects includes humanities, law, medicine, dentistry, nursing, mathematics; natural, biomedical, social and management sciences. *QS World University Rankings, 2010

Main College address King’s College London Strand London WC2R 2LS United Kingdom Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454

Undergraduate Student Information Pack 2011  

A guide for 2011 undergraduate offer holders of King's College London

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you