FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Monday, April 1, 2013
Contact: Jennifer Mayer Tel: 478/742-5084 Email: email@example.com
HISTORIC MACON ANNOUNCES PRESERVATION AWARD NOMINEES MACON, Ga. — Historic preservation is often a team sport because successful projects engage numerous professionals and volunteers to save and restore historic structures. Historic Macon Foundation has chosen 12 nominees for the organization’s annual preservation awards. One winner in each category will be announced at Historic Macon’s annual meeting and awards ceremony on May 9 at 5:30 p.m. at the Douglass Theatre. The annual meeting is free and open to the public. A private reception for award nominees and Historic Macon members will be held in the theatre’s annex before the ceremony at 4:30 p.m. Historic Macon’s preservation awards are a decades-old tradition started by local architect Jordan Jelks. An anonymous volunteer team of architects, preservationists, urban designers, developers, landscape architects and interior designers work for months to select award nominees. Historic Macon members can vote for their favorite project online at www.historicmacon.org. Online voting will remain open until April 29 at 5:00 p.m. Two new awards, the Thad E. Murphey Chair’s Choice Award and the Member’s Choice Award, will also be presented. Award nominees are listed by category below. Property photos and descriptions can be viewed online at www.historicmacon.org. “Each nominee represents one of the most important contributions over the past year in preserving Macon’s past and inspiring its future,” said Executive Director Josh Rogers. “We are pleased to honor each with well-deserved thanks from our Trustees and members.” Preservation, Rehabilitation or Restoration (Residential) Mr. and Mrs. Matt and Kay McKenna, Dure-Waxelbaum House, 618 College St. Mr. and Dr. Brent and Andrea Meyer, Guy Hilsman House, 1606 Lawton Ave. Mr. Tony Butler, Tony Butler Construction, 128 Buford Place
Historic Macon announces award nominees, page 2
Preservation, Rehabilitation or Restoration (Commercial or Institutional) Dr. Madalyn Davidoff, Elizabeth Reed’s Building, 557 Cherry St. Mr. and Mrs. Al and Kay Gerhardt, Telephone Exchange Condos, 505 Second St. Mr. Tony Widner, Taylor Furniture Lofts, 377 Cotton Ave. Revitalization Dr. Amber Lawson, Signature Dentistry, 1495 Forsyth St. Magnolia Street Residents, Magnolia Street Sierra Development, Mr. Jim Daws, Phases I and II of the Lofts at Mercer Village, 1600-block of Montpelier Avenue Stewardship Mrs. Lee P. Oliver, Jr. and Family, Raines-Carmichael House, 1183 Georgia Ave. Dr. Andrew Silver, Friends of Tattnall Square Park, 1401 Coleman Ave. Mr. Jamie Weatherford and Mrs. Jessica Walden, Rock Candy Tours About Historic Macon Foundation Historic Macon Foundation is a nonprofit organization in Macon, Ga., created by the merger of the Middle Georgia Historical Society and the Macon Heritage Foundation in 2003. Historic Macon’s mission is to revitalize the community by preserving architecture and sharing history. The organization advocates for Macon’s historic and architectural heritage, facilitates preservation and revitalization efforts in the community, and maintains and promotes the Sidney Lanier Cottage. Historic Macon’s offices are located in the Sidney Lanier Cottage at 935 High St., Macon, GA 31201. For more information, visit www.historicmacon.org or call 478/742-5084.
Published on Apr 1, 2013