Page 1


CONTENTS Planning for Your Graduation ----------------------01~03 Graduation Transitions & Deadlines ------------------------------------02 Graduation Year Planning Timetable -----------------------------------03

Your Graduation Options ----------------------------04~12 For Parents ----------------------------------------------------------------------06 Secondary School Course Planning ------------------------------------07 British Columbia Educational Program At A Glance --------------08 Dogwood Graduation Requirements ----------------------------------09 Adult Dogwood Graduation Checklist----------------------------------11 Other Ways to Earn Credits ------------------------------------------------12


Your Education Options ------------------------------13~22 Career Planning & Post-Secondary Education ----------------------15 Types of Educational Institutions ----------------------------------------17 Apply for Post-Secondary Education -----------------------------------19 Application Process ----------------------------------------------------------21

Selecting Your Path ------------------------------------23~30 Selecting Your Path -----------------------------------------------------------24 Tips for Post-Secondary Life ----------------------------------------------25 FAQ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------26 Educational Supports for Aboringinal Students ---------------------27 Adult Upgrading ----------------------------------------------------------------29

Your Career ------------------------------------------------31~39 Online Resources --------------------------------------------------------------32 Other Ways to Decide What Career You Want ------------------------33 Summer Student ----------------------------------------------------------------35 Aboriginal Youth Internship Program ------------------------------------37 Science & Technology Internship Program ----------------------------39

Your Funding ----------------------------------------------40~42

Office number: 778-649-2025 (toll-free) 1-877-809-8098 Fax: 250-632-5069 606 Mountainview Square, Kitimat, BC

Student Workbook --------------------------------------43~52 For Haisla members seeking employment, please visit the Job Bank @ www.

LOOKING AHEAD TO GRADUATION YEARS de 12 is For children and parents Gra e some ar re He . ar ye ng ti ci ex d an sy a bu when important tips to keep in mind planning the year.

Planning for grade 12: Begin in Grade 10 Planning for After graduation: Begin in grade 11

Graduation Transitions Each Grade 12 student must be complete Graduation Transitions which helps them prepare for their life after graduation. It includes some requirements that you should be aware of. Graduation Transitions is not an actual course, but a series of requirements that students must complete to graduate. Note that the government is phasing out this program so check with your school counselor for more details. •

DPA (Daily Physical Activity). Students must complete and report 150 minutes per week of exercise. They can use an online application to record their DPA. Go to to log into the Free Student Tracker.

30 hours of work experience or community service.




Know the deadlines for applying to Post-Secondary Institutions. Students need to begin to send applications to universities and colleges in January for programs starting the following September. Deadlines vary for each institution so make sure you find out what the deadlines are. • • • •

The earlier students apply the better, especially for popular programs. Most institutions charge an application fee which are paid with the application. This can typically range anywhere from $35 to $75. Some do not charge a fee to apply. Students often apply to more than one institution at a time. A separate application fee is be paid for each one. For most BC institutions, students can apply on line through, BC’s Post-Secondary Application Service. Applications and payment of fees are completed through the website. Payment is by credit card. Haisla members will be reimbursed for any fees paid. Simply provide your receipt to the Post-Secondary Coordinator with your post-secondary application for funding. If you do not have a credit card, the Education Office may be able to pay this on your behalf. Contact the PostSecondary Coordinator for more information.


LOOKING AHEAD TO GRADUATION YEARS Here are some of the key dates for students in Grade 12 who are planning to go on to post-secondary the following September

Graduation Year Planning Timetable End of Grade 11 Students should: • Meet with counsellor to review graduation program. Do you have the right courses to graduate?

Fall of Grade 12 Year Students should: • Research and decide on post-secondary schools to apply to. (Students often apply to more than one.) • Begin application process. Use BC’s PostSecondary Application Service online at applybc. ca. Find out deadlines and what documents are needed to apply. Example: UBC online application opens late August, closes January 31. • Research scholarships and bursaries to apply for. Some have deadlines in December.

January- February of Grade 12 Year Students should: • Prepare for and write Provincial Examinations for courses completed in the first term. These are held towards the end of January. • Submit applications applications for Early Admission to Post-secondary Institutions* in

January or February. Most universities have closing dates of February 28. Use BC’s PostSecondary Application Service online at applybc. ca. Qualified applicants will be given conditional admission. Final acceptance depends on final grades. Students may register for events at postsecondary schools they are considering attending for a “test run,” often held on a weekend or Spring Break between Feb-March. These events are free and travel to your school of choice can be funded by HNC. Contact the Post-Secondary Coordinator for details.

March of Grade 12 Year Students should: • Students can provide their transcript information at no charge to a number of post-secondary institutions by completing the Online PostSecondary Institutions Selections form between October and June of each school year.

June of Grade 12 Year Students should: • Prepare for and write Provincial Examinations for 2nd term or year-long courses. • Return all text books and library books. Graduation is not complete until this is done.

* Early Admissions to Post-secondary Programs is a system in which students can pre-register for post-secondary institutions and obtain conditional acceptance. This is usually completed by February. Final decisions on admissions are made when a student’s final grades are submitted.


This photo provided by courtesy of Cheryl’s Trading Post of Cedar Grad Hat -- cedar gathered and woven by traditional Elder Frances Jackson


As you approach Grade 12, there is increasing pressure for students (and their parents) to know where they are headed.

People will ask you:

What do you want to be when you grow up? What are you going to take in college? Post-secondary education decisions can be tough. People usually have many questions when they are thinking about entering a post-secondary educational institution, and most occupations require further training and education. This may seem overwhelming when you first think about it. It is important to start thinking about your options early. As a first step, think about your aptitudes — your skills and abilities. What interests you? What things are you good at? Next, you will need to research the career you are considering — does it fit with current and future labour market trends? There are no guarantees that what you study will get you a job. But, you can increase your odds significantly by


doing your homework before settling on a program of study. Plenty of good information about current and future job markets is available. Parents and students need to think ahead about what will be needed to complete Grade 12 with a Dogwood diploma as well as what is necessary courses to move into post-secondary education. Think about your skills and abilities as well as your interests and hobbies. You should also research anticipated demand for jobs in the career you are considering. You should meet with your High School Counsellor and your PostSecondary Coordinator for advice.

FOR PARENTS Making Choices in Secondary School The first step in planning for a successful career is having a successful secondary school experience. Along the way students are faced with important decisions about the courses they take. This section gives you some important things to know for supporting your student and navigating the options in secondary school course planning.

Making Connections with The School Keeping contact with your student’s school and teachers is very important for supporting your student and being aware of programming choices that are made. •

Attend parent-teacher meetings. This is an opportunity to meet regularly with teachers to learn about your teen’s progress.

Keep in regular contact with teachers. Calling or e-mailing a teacher on a regular basis can help support your child before concerns come up.

Arrange extra meetings with teachers or counsellors if concerns come up. Do not hesitate to ask for a meeting; teachers, counsellors and principals are there for you and your children.

Tips for Parent-Teacher Conferences •

Prepare for the conference. Before you meet with teachers, think of questions to ask. Talk with your teen about how they view their school progress.

Take a friend or another family member with you. Having a friend or adult family member with you can provide additional support.

Expect a conversation where everyone both talks and listens. It should be a two-way conversation focussing on how well your teen is doing, and how they can improve. Share your teen’s interests, skills and hopes with his or her teachers.

Ensure that everyone has high expectations of your teen. High expectations need to be regularly communicated to your teen.

Ask questions. Ask teachers if your teens are reading and performing at grade level, if their assignments are complete and if their attendance is regular. Ask what the teacher sees as your child’s strengths and challenges. Ask what you can do at home to support your teen’s education.

Follow up. Write down an action plan of what you and the teacher will do to support your teen. Share your conversation with the teachers with your teen. Arrange further conversations with teachers and other support people.


SECONDARY SCHOOL COURSE PLANNING British Columbia Educational Program At A Glance

1. Dogwood or Evergreen? In British Columbia, students who complete grades Kindergarten to Grade 12 receive either a Dogwood Diploma or an Evergreen Certificate. Most students work towards the Dogwood. Those with the Evergreen are not eligible for entrance into post-secondary institutions.

Kindergarten to Grade 9 Students take a common curriculum. Optional courses may be offered in Grades 8 and 9.

It is important for parents to understand the difference and be involved when decisions are made to put students in the Evergreen stream. In grades 10, 11, and 12 take time to discuss the difference between an Evergreen and a Dogwood with teachers, school counsellors, and principal. •

Evergreen Certificates are for some students with specific types of Individual Education Plans (IEPs).* For some students they are the right option. However, if students do not have an IEP they should be pursuing a Dogwood.

• •

Most students with IEPs pursue a Dogwood. A disproportionate number of Aboriginal students receive Evergreens instead of Dogwoods. Aboriginal students make up 11% of the school population, yet account for 30% of Evergreens. If students leave secondary school with an Evergreen they will have to do adult upgrading in order to get into most post-secondary programs.

Secondary School Grades 10 to 12


* An Individualize Education Plan (IEP) is a personalized learning plan for students with special needs. They are usually developed in partnership with parents.

Students do course work to complete a Certificate of Graduation, also called the Dogwood Diploma.

2. English 12, English First Peoples 12 or Communications 12? Often acting on the advice of their teachers and peers, many Aboriginal students take Communications 12 (Comm12) instead of English 12 (Eng12) or English First Peoples 12 (EFP 12) because Comm 12 is seen as the easier option. Comm 12 is not a prerequisite for many post-secondary programs, though. If students choose this path they may find that they have to take Eng 12 or EFP 12 after they graduate and before going on to postsecondary. Instead of taking Comm 12 to graduate, and then paying for upgrading after graduation, it would save time and money to take Eng 12 or EFP 12 in secondary school.



Students successfully complete an individualized or modified program. Parents need to be fully involved in any decisions to place students on an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)or modified program. An Evergreen Certificate will not qualify students for Postsecondary entrance.

After Graduation, there are many options for continued training. There are three main types of institutions:

Universities •

3. Alternate Education Programs

Many schools offer alternate programs for students who have challenges with the regular system. Some people think that it is easier to graduate through alternate education, but this is often not the case.

3 out of 4 Aboriginal students who go into alternate education graduate a few years after their peers, or don’t graduate at all. Check with your child’s school to find out what the success rate is of its alternate program. In a regular classroom the teacher does much of the planning and organizing for students. Many alternate programs require students to work by themselves for long periods of time every day without getting distracted. If a student has a hard time scheduling time, organizing their work, and working by themselves then they may find alternate education difficult.


Degree programs leading to professional careers such as teacher, archaeologist, lawyer, actor Diploma programs in trades and technical fields


Academic courses, including university transfer Programs in many different trades and vocations resulting in certificates and diplomas

Institutes ( e.g: KVI ) •

UPGRADING Students with an Evergreen Certificate may qualify for postsecondary options after successfully completing upgrading programs. • Seek testing at a university to see what levels of upgrading would be needed should students decide to go on to post-secondary education

Specialized courses in a variety of occupations with different credentials from degrees to certificates


Dogwood Graduation Requirements

Grade 10 to 12 Course Requirements • •

Total of 80 credits – 4 credits for most courses At least 16 credits must be Grade 12 level courses

Required Courses (Total 48 credits) Note: English First Peoples 10, 11, 12 and BC First Nations Studies are accepted courses for university entrance. However they may not be offered at all schools

• • • • •

Note: These Math courses have different pathways. Students need to choose carefully to meet future postsecondary requirements.

Note: Some of these courses are 2 credits. Actual courses vary from school to school.

Note: It is important that students choose elective courses that will work towards their PostSecondary goals.

Note: Some First Nations language courses are accredited to meet postsecondary entrance requirements

• •

• • •

Language Arts 10, 11 and 12 (including English 10, 11 and 12 and English First Peoples 10, 11 and 12) Social Studies 10 One Social Studies course at 11 or 12 level, such as Social Studies 11, BC First Nations Studies 12, Law 12 Science 10 One Science 11 or 12 course, such as Biology 11, Science and Technology 11 A Mathematics 10 course: either Foundations of Mathematics and Pre-calculus OR Apprenticeship and Workplace Mathematics One Mathematics 11 or 12 course: Pre-calculus 11 and 12 (for Post-Secondary courses that study theoretical calculus, such as Sciences and Computer) OR Foundations of Mathematics 11 and 12 (for Post-Secondary courses that do not require calculus, such as Arts and Business) OR Apprenticeship and Workplace Mathematics (for entry into trades post-secondary training or directly into the work force.) Physical Education 10 Planning 10 One elective course from Fine Arts or Applied Skills 10, 11 or 12

Elective Courses (Total at least 28 credits) Students may choose from other Grade 10, 11 or 12 BC courses. They may also select locally approved courses developed by the local school board or educational authority. This may include approved First Nations language courses offered in your region.

Graduation Transitions (4 credits) From Grade 10 to 12, students must: • Do 150 minutes per week of exercise • 30 hours of work experience or community service • Develop a comprehensive plan demonstrating preparation for Career and Life.

Graduation Check List Language Arts 10 (4 credits) Language Arts 11 (4 credits) Language Arts 12 (4 credits) Social Studies 10 (4 credits) Social Studies 11 or 12 (4 credits) Mathematics 10 (4 credits) Mathematics 11 or 12 (4 credits) Science 10 (4 credits) Science 11 or 12 (4 credits) Physical Education 10 (4 credits) Fine Arts and/or an Applied Skills 10, 11, or 12 (4 credits) Planning 10 (4 credits) Graduation Transitions There may be some minor changes each year for graduation requirements. For current information, please check here:

As of 2017, the BC Ministry of Education is planning changes to the Provincial Curriculum and to Graduation Requirements. Parents should stay tuned for future changes to the Graduation Program.


! ! ! t i n do

a C u o Y



External Credentials

Adult Dogwood Graduation Check List English or Communications or First Peoples English 12 (or higher) Math 11 Three additional Grade 12 electives or Socials 11 Two additional Grade 12 electives

Did you know you can get extra credits for activities outside of school? If you demonstrate a high level of achievement or performance in outside activities,you might earn extra credits that could be used towards graduation. Examples include: external language certificates, Red Cross, Cadets, Lifesaving, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, some driver education courses, involvement in provincial or national sports, and some music and dance courses. Some external credentials count as “required course” credits, while most count as elective credits.

Post-Secondary Courses Many courses completed at B.C. post-secondary institutions count toward graduation.The post-secondary transcript is proof of your achievements. You will need to provide this proof to your school. In most cases, you can earn dual credit. That means you get credit toward your graduation and also toward a post-secondary credential. To get dual credit, you have to take either: a post-secondary course from an institution in the British Columbia Transfer System (see www. for a list of institutions) OR a post-secondary course offered in French in conjunction with Educacentre (www.educacentre. com) Post-secondary courses count as elective credits at the Grade 12 level.

Note that post-secondary and trades credits may also count.

Courses and credits can be counted from either or both of the public secondary and postsecondary systems. For more questions and answers regarding the Adult Dogwood, please refer to the

ABE Articulation guide (PDF)



Post-secondary education means all schooling after high school. Post-secondary education decisions can be tough. People usually have many questions when they are thinking about entering a post-secondary educational institution, and most occupations require further training and education. This may seem overwhelming when you first think about it. It is important to start thinking about your options early. As a first step, think about your aptitudes — your skills and abilities.

What interests you? What things are you good at? COLLEGE & UNIVER




Next, you will need to research the career you are considering —

Does it fit with current and future labour market trends? There are no guarantees that what you study will get you a job. But, you can increase your odds significantly by doing your homework before settling on a program of study. Plenty of good information about current and future job markets is available. What types of educational institutions are there? A variety of institutions are available. Options include community colleges and universities, trades training, and online training.




Finding the right career path can be exciting but also challenging. Early planning can make it much easier. As a parent, you play a key role in helping your teen make important decision in planning a future career, and possible post-secondary training.


Questions to ask when choosing Post-Secondary Programs

Are the courses transferable to other post-secondary institutions? Many, but not all courses are transferable. This is important because if students later decide to change schools they would want to ensure they keep credit for all the courses they have taken. What courses are required for admission? Students have to consider not only the requirements for General Admission but also prerequisites for the courses and programs they wish to take. Is this a public post-secondary school? In most cases, HNC will only fund public post-secondary institutions.

Kitimat Valley Institute In 2006 Rio Tinto and Haisla joined together as partners to purchase Kitimat Valley Institute (KVI) as a private institute. This collaboration was focused on assisting Haisla people to become ready for employment and participate in a program called “Job Readiness”. This program had Haisla members upgrade their educational and life skills. In September 2010 the partners created “Kitamaat Valley Education Society”, a non-profit society. Representatives from Haisla Nation and Rio Tinto sit on the Board of Directors for the society, as well as a community member who is the Chair of the Board. Haisla Nation Council does not “own” KVI but is a partner with KVI to ensure access and a great facility to host training and education in community. As a Society, KVI is a not-for-profit organization that does not receive any government funding. Besides training, KVI provides two additional services: KVI Employment Services, a licensed employment agency that helps local employers find qualified workers, and KVI Safety Services, which provides occupational testing (audiometric, respirator fit test, drug and alcohol and fit for work assessments).





College offers skilled training diploma

programs in a variety of fields. Community colleges across the province offer a great place to start, giving students smaller classes and more supports to help them adjust to postsecondary education. A diploma usually takes one to two years to complete. Programs typically are a blend of lecture format and hands-on training. Some offer co-op placements, field schools or are linked to apprenticeship programs. Many programs allow the course credits you take in your first two years to be transferred from college to university programs for the completion of your third and fourth year to complete a Bachelor’s degree.

Universities offers undergraduate

programs leading to a bachelor’s degree; graduate programs leading to master’s and doctorate (Ph.D.) degrees. A bachelor’s degree typically takes three to five years to complete; a masters, one to two years; and a doctorate, four to eight years. Classes are typically lecture-style format, but some programs have labs for hands-on learning. Co-op programs are available in some fields of study to provide work experience prior to graduation.

To confirm the course/program you are considering taking at a college will transfer to a university, check at:

Apprenticeship is a form of post-

Distance education

An apprenticeship is a combination of on-thejob training and classroom learning that leads to a trade credential – or “ticket”. Once you complete your apprenticeship and receive your ticket, you are qualified to work in a skilled trade. You can be an apprentice during high school or after you graduate.

Credit transfer and Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) — The BC Council on Articulations and Transfer (BCCAT ) has been supporting credit transfer recognition and agreements between post-secondary educational institutions, making your studies more accessible and affordable.

secondary education for individuals who want to be certified to work in one of the apprenticeable skilled trades. A program can take two to four years to complete, depending on the trade.

— Many institutions have made online learning easy and accessible. If you want a degree or diploma from an institution but do not want to move from your home community, check out its online or distance education offerings.

Explore your options online:


Distance Education

Apprenticeship training helps you get a Certificate of Qualification (CoQ), which is accepted across BC. About 50 trades also offer an Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal, which certifies you to work across Canada.

Most courses taken at a BC college transfer to universities.



This tool allows you to check quickly about transfer credit for courses from several institutions or what your course may be worth as a transfer credit. Also, if you have significant work experience or related prior learning in the field of study you wish to pursue, you may be eligible for academic credit through the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR), also known as Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). If you believe you have such experience through work, self-study or other means, contact the institution or apprenticeship office. 18


Getting through high school graduation. But applying for post-secondary education is an ever bigger challenge!





Start by deciding which school(s) seem like the best fit for you. Which ones offer the programs/ subjects you are interested in? Are they close to your family and home? Are they in a big city where you want to move?

Once you narrow down your choices, you need to decide what school you plan to go to. Note that most institutions open for applications in April for the following September so you need to be thinking ahead or you may not get into the courses and program you want.



Your Journey Begins Here 19

Talk to your family and friends about your options. Ask your Band Post-Secondary Coordinator and Education Manager for help. You can also call the school(s) directly and speak to a Student Advisor. They can answer questions about programs, pre-requisites [this needs to be in the glossary if it isn’t already], dorms, and other things you are wondering about.



If you do not have a credit card, contact the school to find out how to pay.

You should also explore funding options available to you. You may be eligible for scholarships, Band funding, and more. Calculate the cost for the courses you plan to take in both semesters - usually Fall (Sept. – Dec.) and Winter (Jan. – April), as well as the cost of textbooks, printing and supplies, housing, food, transportation, etc. You should also have a summer job and be able to demonstrate that you have been saving some of your funds to contribute to going to school.

Now you can fill out an application form for the school. Make sure that you fill in all the information completely. If you don’t understand what they are asking for, call the school’s Admissions office for help. Most schools allow you to submit your application online but there may be an application fee that has to be paid by credit card.



Receive Admissions Letter Submit Your Application

This letter confirms that you have been accepted to the institution you applied to (college or university) and the program (could be general Arts or Sciences, Nursing, Law, etc.).


Supporting Documents Received Make sure that you pay attention to all of the documents you need to send to the school. For example, you need to arrange for your high school to send a copy of your transcript to the college or university. If you are in Grade 12, you will have an opportunity to select schools you are thinking of attending to automatically receive a copy of your transcript once you graduate.


Register for specific courses Once you have been admitted, you need to register for specific classes. Consult with a Student Services Advisor to make sure that you are taking courses in the best possible order. For example, you may need to take part 1 of a class (often ends in 101) in order to take part 2 (often ends in 102). If you do not plan ahead, you may not get to take the courses you need to graduate from your program within the length of time you planned.



Go to class Wait for Processing If you applied online, many schools have web based systems that will provide updates as your application is processed.


Application Complete Once everything is received by the school, they will confirm that you approved for the program. For example, if you are applying to be a nurse, there may be a limited number of seats and there may be special evaluation criteria for who will get a seat. Priority is usually given to those who have strong academic grade averages in previous schooling.

You will receive a list of classes you have been registered for. Note that sometimes there are many students trying to get into the same class and your registration may show that you are waitlisted for a course. The college or university may create an extra class to fit more students in or they may wait to see if some students drop out of the class. If you are waitlisted for a class you really want, you should check keep your name on the waitlist and attend the first few classes so that you get the course syllabus and all of the content, in case you do get accepted into the class. If you can’t get into the class, you will need to pick a different one to ensure that you have enough classes to be classified as full time.

4 21





Yo u c a n u s e a n u m b e r o f Internet sites to find an institution that fits your needs, such as This tool allows you to compare institutions. Choosing the right one involves a variety of considerations, including your interests, career goals and financial situation as well as the institution’s cost, size and location and admissions requirements.

Attend a post-secondary educational institution fair. These fairs give you the chance to talk to representatives from many institutions at one session. If you are in high school, ask your guidance counsellor about those that may be scheduled at your school or in your area.

Check out the institution’s website. Many offer virtual tours so you can see the campus even if you cannot visit. You also can get information about programs and classes offered, and learn about campus life.




If you are in high school, ask your guidance counsellor what information they have about the institutions that interest you.

Many institutions hold open houses. You can get a good sense of their programs, and this can help narrow your search for one that is the best fit for you.

Another great way to get a feel for an institution is to schedule a visit, preferably while classes are in session. Make sure you are comfortable with the institution size, facilities, equipment, teachers and students. Find out if your Band is offering a Post-Secondary tour.

Talk with students who attend or have attended the institution to get their opinion. If you are visiting in person, ask the campus tour coordinator if you can talk students who are attending. If you cannot visit, ask the admissions office to connect you with current students or graduates.



Your nation may offer a PostSecondary tour that allows you to visit different schools around the province. Contact the Education Coordinator to find out more. 24


TIPS FOR POST-SECONDARY LIFE dependence of in d n a m o d e e fr e Th be exciting n a c fe li y r a d n o post-sec students after r fo g in lm e h w r e but ov ture of high c u r t s d e iz n ga r o the tudents feeling s r fo t u B l. o o h sc elp. And it h s e’ r e h t , d e lm e overwh sses. starts before cla


ORIENTATION Many schools offer a chance in the Spring for students to spend a weekend or brief period of time at the school, staying in dorms and getting a taste of what it would be like to attend there.

STUDENT SERVICES Every school offers a Student Services Department that can help new students find the resources they need.

As well, colleges and universities offer a variety of orientation activities at the start of September, which include sessions aimed at helping all students feel comfortable on campus, addressing everything from academic concerns to where to find cheap snacks late at night.

WITHDRAWAL Once you start attending class you may decide it isn’t for you. Maybe you feel too overwhelmed by the subject, don’t like the teacher, or decide that you want another class instead. Go and talk to the Admissions Office. You must WITHDRAW officially from a class and not just stop attending. This will result in an “F” grade and hurt your grade average. As well, if you change courses officially before the WITHDRAWAL deadline, you can move to a different class or might receive some credit back for the cost of the course.

What is unassigned credit? Unassigned credit is credit granted for a specific subject and year level. Unassigned credit can be used to meet elective requirements. For example, if a course transfers to “ENGL 1st (3)”, this means you will be awarded 3 credits of 1st year English. If your degree program has a requirement of 3 credits of first year English, then this unassigned credit can be used to meet this requirement.

How do I transfer in/out of BC? Transfer from another province works the same as transfer within BC. Students must first apply to the institution they wish to transfer to and submit an official transcript of the work they have completed to date. If the institution admits the student, they will automatically be evaluated for transfer credit. For more detail on transfer to and from BC, go to Transfer from Outside BC.

Can I transfer to any BC post-secondary institution? All institutions that are part of the BC Transfer System accept transfer students. Admission is competitive and you will be required to meet the admission standards of the institution and program.

If all my courses are listed in the BC Transfer Guide, are there any reasons why I might NOT receive transfer credit? Yes, there are a few reasons. For example, failing the course, taking the course too long ago, taking duplicate courses, or failing to get a "Letter of Permission," are all reasons why you might not get transfer credit. In addition, some institutions limit the amount of credit that can be applied to a specific program, meaning you may get credit for the course but you may not be able to apply it to a specific program.

Who can I talk to if I have questions about the transfer process? An advisor at your current institution will be able to answer questions about your courses and how they'll fit into your academic goals. If your questions are about applying to a specific program, it's probably best to contact that institution's Admissions or Recruitment Office directly.

I took some post-secondary courses years ago. Will they still transfer? That depends on how many years ago, and on the institution and program in which you want to enroll. Many institutions consider that education acquired more than ten or so years ago may no longer be current, and therefore may not grant credit for "stale-dated" courses. Courses in rapidly evolving fields such as information technology may have an even shorter shelf life. Check with your intended institution regarding their policy.

Is there a minimum grade for course transfer? In order to receive transfer credit, you must have passed the course (normally a “P” or “D”).

If a Course Transfers from a one institution to another, will it transfer the same way in reverse? Not necessarily. There can be enough differences between the topics covered and the academic rigour of courses that reciprocity should not be assumed. If you are trying to transfer a course that transfer in one direction but not the other, you should speak to an advisor at the institution to which you are seeking to transfer.

If you are Band Funded, you should notify your Post-Secondary Coordinator of your change in plans and discuss how your funding needs might change.




Explore services and programs and access services at the post-secondary school you are thinking of attending.

You can access the following kinds of

Participate in those that resonate with you and build up your community. on-campus Aboriginal community space. e.g. Friendship house, First Nations House of Learning, Longhouse, Gathering Place, or Aboriginal Student Centre Aboriginal student orientation programs Aboriginal advising services.



J U LY 2017

• Get help with educational, financial, and career planning, find out other campus student support programs • Aboriginal financial aid advisors. Get help locating scholarships and bursaries Aboriginal counselling services. Get help with non-academic questions or challenges • First Nations student associations Aboriginal adult learner transitioning into post-secondary programs Elder programs, where elders will visit with you on campus and provide advice, listen, share, and help celebrate your success • Leadership development programs • Aboriginal research opportunities • Social and cultural events • Community outreach programs • Child and family care services • Specialized programming e.g., Aboriginal credential options within degree or diploma programs ABORIGINAL LEARNING LINK:



ADULT UPGRADING Post-secondary institutions (colleges and universities) offer high school-level courses through the Adult Basic Education program (ABE). Each institution sets their own fee schedule and delivery method for these courses, so it’s best to check with them directly to learn more. Credits for ABE courses may be transferred between participating institutions. School districts offer high school courses for adults at secondary schools, adult learning and continuing education centres throughout the province. These locations are tailored specifically to the needs of adult students by using various learning environments and instructional methods that could include face-to-face, self-paced and/or online learning. Course offerings vary between locations.

B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma Program Adult learners (18 and older) can enroll in this program to take courses as credit towards their Adult Graduation Diploma. Courses can be taken at school district Distance Education centres, or as part of the Adult Basic Education (ABE) program at a post-secondary institution Find an institution that offers ABE(CCP) programs Adult Basic Education Articulation guide (PDF) No matter what grade you left school, you likely do not have to complete the number of years that you would have had to complete in school! Contact the HNC Education Department to arrange a free assessment to determine what would be required to get your Grade 12 diploma 



ONLINE RESOURCES To start, you should think about the subjects and activities you enjoy. You could also try some online quizzes to help you think about potential careers. Think about what common elements emerge after you take a few different ones.


Graylon Hall Haisla Student

pressure f o t lo a is There igh school h in e r a u o when y er you e r a c t a h w to decide t have to o n o d u o Y . want ured out. ig f ll a it e v ha



There are many career opportunities in the Trade that do not require the sa s academic requirements asme college and university. Internships

Trades Training

Internships are short-term work placements related to your major or career interests. Completing an internship is an excellent way to develop the hands-on skills and professionalism needed for a successful transition into the work place.

Did you know that you can jump start your trade career AND get credit toward your high school diploma? The BC Industry Training Authority (ITA) offers several programs designed for young people interested in getting an apprenticeship.

[Haisla version: contact your Education & Employment Dept. for help finding a company willing to give you an internship opportunity.

Trades may only require a minimum Grade 10 or Grade 11 Math. However, most employers will require you to have a Grade 12 diploma so it is important to graduate as well as taking Trades training.

You can do online research to find internship opportunities in your field of interest. Why should you consider an internship? • Explore your interests and gain valuable experience • Apply theory and knowledge from the classroom • Develop new skills & confidence • Build your resume • Network with employers and professionals • Explore possible career paths • Transition into a potential job or prepare for post-secondary

Your first step is to decide which trade you are interested in. Check Trade Program s to find out about programs available.

Some school districts offer high-school programs in partnership with post-secondary institutions that are also open to adults. High School students who complete this type of training earn credit towards both high school graduation and post-secondary. Check with your school counselor for more information about programs available in your area.




Summer Student Opportunity Every year Rio Tinto offers student internships for postsecondary students. Selection criteria include being a local resident and your academic grades. If you are studying in a related field or are a Haisla member, you may be eligible for reserved seats.

an (RTA) g lc A to in T in dent at Rio. I was used to be t tu s r e m m n e rt zon s a su s a fro Working a e out of my comfo mails. At RTA I wa onal e rs tm Kitimat go esk and answering lines with all my pe as great! behind a dyee working in theon. My supervisor wsure I felt line emplo equipment (PPE) training and made e, especially protective sure I had proper to accommodate m ts for Council She madee also did her best nd my commitmen ith were ready. Sh me to working arouhe guys I worked w ere hilarious when it ca ittee meetings. T patient, and they w and Commy trained me, were ad! great; the was great crew I h shift was r u o s It e . m ll eti as we s too. Somure on us.� e g n e ll a h e some c ore press There wer ple and that put m peo short 2-3

But you have to apply! The application process is available online, usually around February of each year, to be a summer student at the Rio Tinto smelter from May to August. Students who are selected receive an industry wage far beyond most summer jobs and are guaranteed a job there for the rest of their years in post-secondary (up to 4 years). Jobs are available in a variety of fields, including operations, office administration, community engagement, engineering, and more. Rio Tinto has been in Kitimat for 60 years. Rio Tinto’s aluminum smelter is one of the largest manufacturing complexes in the province and is a significant contributor to economic and community sustainability in northern BC. The smelter is powered by the Kemano Powerhouse, which to this day, remains the largest high pressure hydro generation facility in North America, an efficient means of generating power using the smallest amount of water.

Raymond (Sonny) C.D Green RTA Intern Summer 2017




Aboriginal Youth Internship Program Every year, this program provides a 12-month paid internship for up to 25 young Aboriginal British Columbians, ages 19 to 29.

Program Goals

Robyn Smith

• Encourage Aboriginal youth to consider the BC Public Service or Aboriginal organizations as a place to pursue a rewarding career • Support Aboriginal youth to develop their leadership skills • Provide opportunities for Aboriginal youth to contribute and improve relationship building between Aboriginal communities/organizations and the provincial government • Contribute to closing the social and economic gaps that exist between Aboriginal people and other British Columbians •

How it Works • The program mirrors the school year and runs annually from September to the following August. It provides professional experience, leadership development, cultural support and a professional, cultural, and social network through the intern cohort • Interns are placed with a government ministry for nine months, then with an Aboriginal organization for three months, doing important work such as engaging communities, developing policies and programs, managing projects, promoting healthy lifestyles, participating in adjudications and negotiations and conducting research • Interns are mentored through the year and have opportunities to attend workshops and conferences, take courses and receive career coaching

Robyn was an intern with Haisla Nation Council in 2017. She is a member of the Haisla Nation on her father's side, as well as the Tsimshian and Nisga'a Nations on her mother's side. She lived in the Haisla territory for most of her childhood and moved to Vancouver with her family during high school. She is the middle child of six siblings and a proud mother of two. Robyn completed her high school education in Vancouver in 2006. She has completed her Criminology diploma at Douglas College in 2013 in New Westminster. She has furthered her education with the completion of her Aboriginal Youth Care certificate in 2016 at the Native Education College in Vancouver. While completing her AYC certificate, she had the opportunity to volunteer with a local school to be a mentor in the Dogwood 25 Mentorship program. During high school Robyn had the opportunity to work at a day camp at the Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Centre. During the summers at the daycamp, she realized that she really enjoyed working with youth. Working with youth in the community is something Robyn loves to do, and she is working towards having a career in working with youth in a variety of environments. During her internship with Haisla Nation Council, Robyn coordinated the HNC Summer Student program and Forestry Work Experience Project.




Science and Technology Internship Program Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), a department of the Government of Canada, runs the Green Jobs - Science and Technology Internship Program (Green Jobs - STIP). This program provides funding to organizations who hire interns in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) positions in the natural resource sectors, including forestry, oil and gas, mining and Earth sciences. The internships provide handson experience and mentorship to help young people gain skills to make a successful transition to the workplace. What are Green Jobs? These positions may be within organizations that have an interest in the environment and making positive environmental impacts. Or, they could be specific jobs, in any organization, with an emphasis on protecting the environment. Examples of past Green Job internship projects include: • Developing an environmental baseline to monitor soil and vegetation to help restore the land affected by mining; • Designing and implementing wind energy systems; and Researching potential impacts of oil, gas and forestry development on wildlife.

Who can apply? Green Jobs - STIP internships are for post-secondary graduates who are 30 years of age or less. Wage subsidies through Green Jobs - STIP are available to a variety of hiring organizations, including private companies, universities or colleges, Indigenous organizations, non-profit organizations and provincial, territorial or municipal governments located across Canada.

Connect To apply to be an intern or to learn more about this opportunity please visit our website http:// If you have any questions, please send them to or call 1-877-996-6199 to speak to the Program Officer.







Some bands provide partial funding so students need to augment their funding with student loans, other scholarships and through employment.

Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) invests millions of dollars each year to support post-secondary education. This fund is given to bands to support eleigible students and helps to offset tuition, travel costs, and other expenses.

Funds can also be obtained by applying for funds designated for Aboriginal Students and students in specific areas of study. Funds awarded are over and above funding provided by the Band.

A bursary is a monetary award made by an institution to a student. Some bursaries are awarded to those who are facing financial hardship by going to school but may also be simply a financial award.


If you need additional funding, you might want to consider a Student Loan. The province of British Columbia offers Canada-B.C. integrated loans. An integrated student loan has two lenders, the governments of Canada and British Columbia. However, it is administered as a single loan, which streamlines service delivery as students sign a joint federalprovincial loan agreement and have a single point of contact for managing their loans. At the point of loan repayment, students make just one monthly payment towards their integrated loan balance.

Did you know much of the money available to Aboriginal students goes unawarded each year just because no one applied??


Here's what you need to know about full-time student loans: • Interest will be paid by the provincial and federal governments while you are attending school full-time. • You must be enrolled in at least 60% (40% for students with permanent disabilities) of a full-time course load. • Repayment will begin six months after your studies end. • You are responsible for repaying the total amount loaned to you.

INAC has developed a helpful tool that provides a link for over 050 different schoalrships and bursaries available to First Nations students:




Secondary School Course Planning Worksheet -------------------------45 Work backwards from a career goal to the courses you need in high school.

Dogwood Graduation Requirements -----------------------------------------46 A blank form to keep track of the courses you need for graduation.

Personal Profile ---------------------------------------------------------------------47 Build a profile of your interests, skills and achievements.

Connecting Interests to Potential Careers ---------------------------------48 A tool to help you think about possible careers.

Financial Planning Worksheet -------------------------------------------------49 A form to help you budget for your first year at post-secondary. Where to Go? ------------------------------------------------------------------------50 Some questions to help you think about which post-secondary institution to attend.

Checklist: Building Your Career Path ----------------------------------------51 A quick checklist to make sure you have all your bases covered.

My Post-Secondary Education Plan ------------------------------------------52 A place to record your educational decisions





Your Personal Interests

Careers That Might Be Related to Your Interests

Other Careers You Might Be Interested In

Post-secondary Programs that Connect with Your Personal and/or Career Interests



WHERE TO GO? When deciding what post-secondary institution you want to go to, you might want to think about other things in addition to the programs and courses they offer. Use these questions and your answers to help you decide what post-secondary institution is a good fit for you Compare your preferences to the information you find about potential post-secondary institutes. Location

Your Answer

• Do you want a local institution near home, or do you want to move away? • Do you want to be in the big city or a smaller town? • Would you want to stay in BC or would you be willing to go outside of the province to get the best program?


• Would you prefer a large campus or a smaller campus? • Will you be able to handle large classes of several hundred students, or will you need to find a program that has fewer students per instructor?


• Would you want to live in student housing if it is available?

Extracurricular Activities

• What types of activities would you like to participate in: sports, drama, student newspaper, student council? (Note that larger institutions usually have more opportunities.)

First Nations Focus

• How important is it for you to have a school or program with a First Nations or Aboriginal focus? Some schools are run by First Nations while many others include programs and courses based on First Nations content.



Checklist: Building Your Career Path

I know my interests and skills


Area of Study

I know the general field that I would like to work in Post-Secondary Institution I have set my career goal I have researched post-secondary options


I understand the types of courses I would need to take at the post-secondary level

Application Deadline

I know the course prerequisites I need for my post-secondary choices

Institution Admission Requirements

I know the post-secondary entrance requirements I know what Grade 10, 11 and 12 courses I need to graduate with I know the difference between the Dogwood Diploma and the Evergreen Certificate.

Program Admission Requirements

Specific Course Prerequisites (if any)

Bursaries and Scholarships to Apply For



Printed February 2018

The Future is Yours - Haisla Education Guide  

A guide to educational resources, presented by Haisla Nation Council's Education & Employment department.

The Future is Yours - Haisla Education Guide  

A guide to educational resources, presented by Haisla Nation Council's Education & Employment department.