Page 1

Please feel free to contact any of the businesses featured in this booklet for advice on all matters concerning your application.

Edition Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information


Guiding the householder through planning permission and building regulations If you are considering any of the following modifications you will need to draw on the The Planning Advisory Group’s expertise and support: • Advert and Signs • Boilers and Heating • Builders Cleans • Conservatories • Decking and Fencing • Doors and Windows • Electrics

Am i required to consult my neighbours about my proposed building work? Generally there are no obligations to consult your neighbours, but it would be sensible to do so. In any event, you should be careful that your proposed building work does not interfere with their property as this could lead to bad feeling and possibly civil action for the modification or removal of the work. For example, your work may comply with the Building Regulations but could result in the obstruction or malfunctioning of your neighbour’s boiler flue. You should also check your boundary lines and satisfy yourself that there are no deeds of covenant which may prevent you carrying out certain types of building work close to or directly adjoining your neighbour’s property.

• Extensions • Kitchen and Bathroom • Landscapes • Lofts • Paving • Roofs and Solar

Seeking advice and choosing your builder Unless you have a reasonable working knowledge of building construction it would be advisable before any work is started to obtain appropriate professional advice which is relevant to the building work you want to carry out (e.g. from an architect, a structural engineer, a building surveyor a heating engineer or replacement window specialist) and to choose a registered builder or a registered installer to carry out the work.

and much more.

Practical advice Planning Permission

Your responsibilities

Your local planning authority (LPA) – usually the district or borough council – is responsible for deciding whether a proposed development should be allowed to go ahead. This is called planning permission.

With all building work, the owner of the property (or land) in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and building regulations (regardless of the need to apply for planning permission and/or building regulations approval or not).

Most new buildings, major alterations to existing buildings and significant changes to the use of a building or piece of land need this permission. However, certain minor building works – known as permitted development – don’t need planning permission. This is because the effect of such developments on neighbours or the surrounding environment is likely to be small – e.g. building a boundary wall below a certain height. Similarly, a change of land or building use is classed as permitted development if it’s within the same use class. Other areas get special protection against certain developments. Reasons for special protection include: • Protect attractive landscape – e.g. national parks • Protect interesting plants and/or wildlife • Control the spread of towns and villages into open countryside e.g. Green Belts

Therefore, failure to comply with the relevant rules will result in the owner being liable for any remedial action (which could go as far as demolition and/or restoration). The general advice is to always discuss your proposals with the relevant Local Planning Authority and Building Control Service before starting work. There are also other considerations ‘before you start work’ such as health and safety requirements and additional permissions that may need to be granted such as rights of way or listed buildings consent

Building Regulations Meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations is the responsibility of the person carrying out the building work and, if they are not the same person, the owner of the building. The building regulations apply to most building work, therefore it is important to know when approval is needed.

• Protect monuments or buildings of historical or architectural interest 2


• Carpets • Vinyl • Oak • Laminate • Roll Stock

Finance Available

· Expert Fitting · Quality Guaranteed · Ranges Pownal / Ryalux· Cavalier Carpets· Lifestyle Floors Quickstep· Balterio· Karndean· Polyflor· Kersaint Cobb & plenty more Quality floor coverings at discounted prices 1000’s of samples to choose from To book a free measure and no obligation quotation

Please call

0161 480 5633

2a Castle Street Edgeley Stockport SK3 9AB

10% off

with this advertisement

Hull 01482 223770 York 01904 781467 Leeds 0113 289 0089 Stockton 01642 606084

The UK’s Largest

Newcastle 0191 2180060 Southampton 02380 339393 Livingston 01506 445420 Brechin 01356 629116

Independent Roofing Material Stockist And Distributor

30 years




Contact us for your FREE site survey and technical advice service

Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information

- tile samples available -


Current legislation There are a number of pieces of legislation that relate to the standards of premises or construction and, depending on the type of premises and whether any building work is being carried one or more could apply at any given time.

National Planning Policy Framework The National Planning Policy Framework was published on 27 March 2012. This is a key part of Government reforms to make the planning system less complex and more accessible, to protect the environment and to promote sustainable growth.

Planning Reform The Government is committed to a radical reform of the planning agenda giving new powers to local councils, communities, neighbourhoods and individuals. The planning policy initiatives that underpin the localism agenda – and which will have an increasing impact on the Government’s work over the next five years

Acts of Parliament The following planning and related Acts of Parliament are available from the website of the Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI).

Planning Act 2008 - Act Chapter 29 2008 The Planning Act 2008 aims to establish the Infrastructure Planning Commission and make provision about its functions, the development of nationally significant infrastructure and town and country planning. It also makes provision for the introduction of a Community Infrastructure Levy.

Housing Act 2004 - Act Chapter 34 2004, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister This Act replaces the existing housing fitness standard with the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.

Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 - Act Chapter 5 2004 The Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 is a key element of the Government’s agenda for speeding up the planning system. The provisions introduce powers which allow for the reform and speeding up of the plans system and an increase in the predictability of planning decisions, the speeding up of the handling of major infrastructure projects and the need for simplified planning zones to be identified in the strategic plan for a region.

Building Act 1984 The Building Act 1984 is the primary legislation under which the Building Regulations and other secondary legislation are made. The many powers of the Building Act 1984 include those for:


The Party Wall etc Act 1996 The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. A building owner proposing to start work covered by the Act must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions in the way set down in the Act. Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed. Where they disagree, the Act provides a mechanism for resolving disputes. The Act is separate from obtaining planning permission or building regulations approval.

What is a party wall? The main types of party walls are: • a wall that stands on the lands of 2 (or more) owners and forms part of a building - this wall can be part of one building only or separate buildings belonging to different owners • a wall that stands on the lands of 2 owners but does not form part of a building, such as a garden wall but not including timber fences • a wall that is on one owner’s land but is used by 2 (or more) owners to separate their buildings The Act also uses the expression ‘party structure’. This could be a wall or floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings in different ownership, such as in flats.

What the Act covers •

new building on or at the boundary of 2 properties

work to an existing party wall or party structure

excavation near to and below the foundation level of neighbouring buildings

This may include: •

building a new wall on or at the boundary of 2 properties

cutting into a party wall

making a party wall taller, shorter or deeper

removing chimney breasts from a party wall

Setting the status of Approved Documents

Dangerous structures

knocking down and rebuilding a party wall

Demolition of buildings

digging below the foundation level of a neighbour’s property

The role of Approved Inspectors

Enforcement of Building Regulations

Powers of entry to premises

and many more.


Common types of projects... 1. Adverts & signs

2. Decking

You may need to apply for advertisement consent to display an advertisement bigger than 0.3 square metres (or any size if illuminated) on the front of, or outside, your property (be it a house or business premises).

Putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, providing:

Therefore, you are unlikely to need consent for a small sign with your house/building name or number on it, or even a sign saying ‘Beware of the dog’.

The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground

together with other extensions, outbuildings etc, the decking or platforms cover no more than 50 per cent of the garden area.

Temporary notices up to 0.6 square metres relating to local events, such as street parties and concerts, may also be displayed for a short period. There are different rules for estate agents’ boards, but, in general, these should not be bigger than 0.5 square metres. The planning regime for larger, professional adverts, signs for businesses and so on is complex though all outdoor advertisements must comply with five ‘standard conditions’.

They must: •

be kept clean and tidy

be kept in a safe condition

have the permission of the owner of the site on which they are displayed (this includes the Highway Authority if the sign is to be placed on highway land)

not obscure, or hinder the interpretation of, official road, rail, waterway or aircraft signs, or otherwise make hazardous the use of these types of transport

be removed carefully where so required by the planning authority.

3. Fences (gates & garden walls) You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and: •

it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or

your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or

your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.

the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.

You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall,or gate, or to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don’t increase its height. In a conservation area, however, you might need conservation area consent to take down a fence, wall or gate. You do not need planning permission for hedges as such, though if a planning condition or a covenant restricts planting (for example, on “open plan” estates, or where a driver’s sight line could be blocked) you may need planning permission and/or

Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information


4. Decorations (Painters & Decorators) Building Regulations Decoration Any internal decorating such as wallpapering, new skirting boards or painting will not normally require approval under the Building Regulations. There are, however, other considerations to bear in mind and work on external walls is treated differently.

Renovation External walls are considered to be thermal elements (defined in Regulation 2a of the Building Regulations 2000 (as amended)). It is likely that a renovation of a thermal element could trigger a requirement to upgrade the thermal insulation of that element at the same time.

Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.

Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.

Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.

Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear boundary.

Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.

No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.

Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.

On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey.

On designated land no cladding of the exterior.

On designated land no side extensions.

Housing Law The scope of the Housing Act 2004 means that requirements over internal finishes could be made under it. However, in practice, the Act is not likely to be used in this way for work within the confines of normal domestic premises unless the new covering poses a particularly serious risk - for example in terms of fire spread. The local authority will be able to advise on the application of the Housing Act in practice. Further information about the Act and the Housing Health and Safety Rating System which supports it is available on the Communities and Local Government (CLG) website.

5. Extensions An extension or addition to your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions: •

No more than half the area of land around the “original house” would be covered by additions or other buildings.

No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.

No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.

Single-storey rear extension must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.

In addition, outside Article 1(5) designated land* and Sites of Special Scientific Interest the limit is increased to 6m if an attached house and 8m if a detached house until 30 May 2016. These increased limits (between 3m and 6m and between 4m and 8m respectively) are subject to the neighbour consultation scheme


Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.

Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres.

Flooring A floor will need to provide for one or more of the following: •

Structural support of the room’s contents and users and the weight of the floor itself; and

If the floor is a ground floor, provide resistance to:

Ground moisture; and

Heat loss (thermal insulation)

General types of ground floor constructions:

Solid floor Suspended Timber Floor Suspended Concrete floor Contaminated ground and Radon Foundations Foundations are required to transmit the load of the building safely to the ground. Therefore, all buildings should have adequate foundations (normally concrete), which will vary from one project to another depending on the circumstances of each case. There are other types of foundations that may be used if the ground conditions do not make trench fill practicable. It is advisable to contact a structural engineer or speak to building control for further advice.

Factors to be taken into account of when designing a foundation: Trees Drains and sewers Size and construction of new building Ground condition Landfill sites


Superior flooring

0845 872 7811 01708 724 888

domestic & commercial

carpets • wood flooring • vinyl flooring • kitchen flooring

bathroom flooring •floor sanding • french polishing 1st Floor,1 Chase Cross Road. Collier Row. Romford, RM5 3JP


All Aspects of Decorating Undertaken Reliable Service


Free Estimates

0790 368 1736 01772 720 787

Free Quotes

New Builds & Extensions

Full & Part Re-Wires

Conservatories & Orangeries

Security Alarms

Self Drive or Operated

Spot Lights

Day. 07714757990 Eve. 01322 288084

TV Installations


Groundworks & and Landscaping

• Foundations • Drainage • Driveways Quality Screened Topsoil Top Quality Lawn Turf email:

Planning Planning Permission Permission && Building Building Regulations Regulations Information Information

Tel: 01772

701028 Mob: 07958 642 466 21 Ladywell Drive, Fulwood, Preston, PR2 9UX


6. Electrics Building Regulations If you are carrying out electrical work in your home or garden in England and Wales, you will have to follow new rules in the Building Regulations. You should use an installer who is registered with a competent person scheme to seek approval from a Building Control body. This is true for most work. However, you do not need to tell them about repairs, replacements and maintenance work or extra power points or lighting points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in a kitchen or bathroom, or outdoors).

What is Part P of the building regulations? Since 2005, if you’re doing any work on your home electrics, it needs to comply with ‘Part P’ of the Building Regulations electrical safety in dwellings.

Choosing an NICEIC registered electrician is a householder’s best way to ensure a safe job. Electricians registered with NICEIC are assessed on a regular basis to ensure high standards and their work is checked against the IEE Wiring Regulations BS 7671 as well as other standards.

All electrical work should follow the safety standards in BS 7671 (the ‘wiring regulations’) which can be found on the British Standards Institute (BSI) website. The Building Regulations only set standards for electrical installation work in relation to dwellings (houses, flats etc). If the work is carried out in industrial or commercial buildings it is covered by the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is responsible for making sure that electrical installation work in these kinds of buildings is safe and if you have any queries about work in these buildings you should contact HSE. The Building Regulations do not restrict who may carry out electrical installation work. If you want to do the work yourself you should make sure that you know what you need to do before starting any works. There are a number of reputable guides that you can use to help you. The Building Regulations do not set standards for the safety of electrical appliances but they do require that fixed connections of appliances are safe.

Checking for safety Where the works require a Building Regulations application it should be checked to make sure that it is safe. This checking can be done in either of two ways: by using an electrician registered with a competent person scheme or by notifying the building control section of your local authority.

Local Authority Building Control You should make a Building Regulations application to Building Control if the electrician you employ to carry out the works is not registered as a competent person under one of the relevant Competent Person Schemes for electrical installations or if you do the work yourself. You should contact your local authority building control department before you start the work. They will explain the requisite procedures to you. It is also best to discuss with Building Control how they wish to inspect and check the works you are carrying out.

Approved inspector building control An approved inspector is a body which carries out the same functions as local authority building control. If you use an approved inspector they will explain to you how the approved inspector system works. If at the end of the work the approved inspector is satisfied that the work is safe, you will be given a copy of the final notice

Minor works The Building Regulations allow certain works (known as nonnotifiable or minor work) to be carried out without having to notify building control or using a registered electrician. Such work includes: Replacing any electrical fitting (for example, socket outlets, light fittings, control switches) Adding a fused spur (which is a socket that has a fuse and a switch that is connected to an appliance eg, heater) to an existing circuit (but not in a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors) Any repair or maintenance work Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding Installing cabling at extra low voltage for signalling, cabling or communication purposes (for example, telephone cabling, cabling for fire alarm or burglar alarm systems, or heating control systems). If you are not sure whether the work you want to undertake is notifiable, you should contact your local authority building control department for advice. Minor electrical work can also present a risk to safety. If qualified electricians carry out the work they should give you a Minor Works Certificate which means that they have tested to work to make sure it is safe. If you do the work yourself you may wish to engage a qualified electrician to check it for you.



7. Boilers and Heating Heating systems If a heating system or hot water system is to be replaced then an application may not be required, and, if it is required, it may not be necessary to apply in advance of carrying out the work. If emergency works are necessary (because for instance a hot water cylinder springs a leak) there is no bar on carrying out repairs straightaway but the repair works must comply with the requirements and after the event it is necessary to apply for retrospective approval and a completion certificate If a new system is to be installed then the installer should proceed as if the work is being carried out in a new building. If an existing system has been altered or replaced then the person who last worked on the system is responsible for the safe running of that system and should issue a certificate to show that the necessary checks have been carried out.

Replacing Boilers The new standards apply only if you decide to change your existing hot-water central-heating boiler or if you decide to change to one of these boilers from another form of heating system. Work to install a new boiler (or a cooker that also supplies central heating - Aga, Raeburn etc) needs Building Regulations approval because of the safety issues and the need for energy efficiency. This is generally achieved by employing an installer who is registered under an approved scheme. •

Gas Boiler – An installer should be Gas Safe Registered

Oil fired Boiler – An installer should be registered with one of the relevant Competent Person Schemes

Solid fuel fired boiler – An installer should be registered with one of the relevant Competent Person Scheme

8. Doors and Windows repairs, maintenance, and minor improvements, such as repainting window and door frames, insertion of new windows and doors that are of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house (note - a new bay window will be treated as an extension and may require permission). If new windows are in an upper-floor side elevation they must be obscure-glazed and either non opening or more than 1.7 metres above the floor level

9. Roofing You may not normally need to apply for planning permission to re-roof your house or to insert roof lights or skylights as the permitted development rules allow for roof alterations subject to the following limits and conditions: Any alteration to project no more than 150 millimetres from the existing roof plane. No alteration to be higher than the highest part of the roof. Side facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor. The permitted development regime for solar panels has different limits on projections and in relation to protected areas.

10. Solar Panels In many cases installing solar panels on domestic land is likely to be considered ‘permitted development’ with no need to apply to the council for planning permission. There are, however, important limits and conditions which must be met to benefit from the permitted development rights (see below). You may wish to discuss with the local planning authority for your area whether all of the limits and conditions will be met. Solar panels mounted on a house or on a building within the grounds of a house All the following conditions must be observed: Panels on a building should be sited, so far as is practicable, to minimise the effect on the external appearance of the building and the amenity of the area. When no longer needed for microgeneration panels should be removed as soon as reasonably practicable.

New roof lights or skylights will not normally require an application for planning permission providing: •

they do not protrude more than 150mm beyond the plane of the roof slope

they are no higher than the highest part of the roof

if they are in side elevation roof slope they must be

obscure-glazed and either non opening or more than 1.7 metres above the floor level

Occasionally, you may need to apply for planning permission for some of these works because your council has made an Article 4 Direction withdrawing permitted development rights.

PlanningPermission Permission&&Building BuildingRegulations RegulationsInformation Information Planning




11. Kitchens and Bathrooms A planning application for installing a kitchen or bathroom is generally not required unless it is part of a house extension.

Greener Homes Pay attention to the appliances and fittings. Look for A-rated (energy efficient) kitchen appliances. Also look for aerated taps, which reduce water use. If mains gas is available, use it for cooking as well as heating. If it’s not, consider an electric induction hob, which saves energy over a conventional electric or halogen hob. If you are undertaking a bathroom renovation, think about the amount of water you are going to consume. You can usefully reduce this by buying low flush toilets, low flow showers and basin taps, and a smaller capacity bath. (Advice kindly provided by the Federation of Master Builders)

Building Regulations Work to refit a kitchen or bathroom with new units and fittings does not generally require building regulations approval, although drainage or electrical works that form part of the refit may require approval under the building regulations. If a bathroom or kitchen is to be provided in a room where there wasn’t one before, building regulations approval is likely to be required to ensure that the room will have adequate ventilation and drainage, and meet requirements in respect of structural stability, electrical and fire safety. Building Control may ask for further details and works depending on the building and circumstances.

Impact on accessibility of ground floor WCs Any dwelling unit that has been constructed after 1999 will have a ground floor WC installed which has been designed to cater for any visiting wheelchair users. During any re-fitting this WC should not be removed and the accessibility of the WC should not be made any worse as it would then be inadequate for future wheelchair users. For these reasons, a Building Regulations application may be required if any alteration is to take place to an existing ground floor WC.

For example, if a new bathroom suite is installed in a room where the floor structure is constructed of timber joists and boards, there is a significant risk of the floor being overloaded from the bath once it is full of water and in use. Therefore, work may be needed to strengthen such a floor. A structural engineer or surveyor can assess the floor and determine this for you. If the floor does need to be strengthened they can produce the paperwork Building Control will require before you commence the work.

Need for additional ventilation Each new room in a house should have adequate ventilation for general health reasons. The type of room will determine how much ventilation is required. When inserting a new internal wall care should be taken not to make any other matters, such as ventilation worse. If a new room is being created as a result of the addition of an internal wall then care should also be taken to ensure that the existing room is ventilated adequately. The general rules for ventilating a room are: Purge - this is achieved by opening the window. The opening should have a typical area of at least 1/20th of the floor area of the room served, unless it is a bathroom which can be any openable size. Whole Building - this is also known as trickle ventilation which can be incorporated in to the head of the window framework, or by some other means.The area varies on the type of room: •

Bathroom – 4000mm²

All other rooms – 8000mm²

Both of these forms of ventilation are normally required, however alternative approaches to ventilation may also be acceptable, subject to agreement with the Building Control Body.

Suitability of existing floor structures If the use of a room is changed and could result in the load (weight) on the floor structure changing significantly work to strengthen the floor may be necessary.

Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information


12. Loft Conversion Permission is required where you extend or alter the roof space and it exceeds specified limits and conditions. A loft conversion for your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions: •

A volume allowance of 40 cubic metres additional roof space for terraced houses*

A volume allowance of 50 cubic metres additional roof space for detached and semi-detached houses*

No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway

No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof

Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house

No verandas, balconies or raised platforms

Side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor

Roof extensions not to be permitted development in designated areas**

Roof extensions, apart from hip to gable ones, to be set back, as far as practicable, at least 20cm from the original eaves Creating a liveable space

If you decide to create a liveable space (a ‘livable space’ is where you intend to use the room as a normal part of your house, this includes spare bedrooms which may be used infrequently) in an existing loft space of a home it is likely to require a range of alterations. Many of these could have an adverse impact on the building and its occupants if they are not properly thought out, planned and undertaken in accordance with the requirements of the legislation.

13. Patio and Driveway Different rules apply to paving over your front garden. Elsewhere around your house there are no restrictions on the area of land which you can cover with hard surfaces at, or near, ground level. However, significant works of embanking or terracing to support a hard surface might need a planning application. If you live in a listed building, you will need listed building consent for any significant works whether internal or external. Please note: the permitted development allowances described here apply to houses not flats, maisonettes or other buildings. View guidance on flats and maisonettes here.

Building Regulations Generally a new driveway or patio area does not require building regulations approval. However, you will need to make sure that any alterations do not make access to the dwelling any less satisfactory than it was before. So, for example, changing levels to introduce steps where none existed before would be a contravention of the regulations.

14. Paving your Front Garden Specific rules apply for householders wanting to pave over their front gardens. You will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses permeable (or porous) surfacing which allows water to drain through, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally. If the surface to be covered is more than five square metres planning permission will be needed for laying traditional, impermeable driveways that do not provide for the water to run to a permeable area.



15. Underpinning Maintenance on foundations generally may notrequire planning permission. However, if you live in a listed building or designated area (conservation area, national park, area of outstanding natural beauty) you should check with your local planning authority before carrying out any work. Underpinning is a method of construction that sees the depth of the foundations to a building being increased. The soil beneath the existing foundation is excavated and is replaced with foundation material, normally concrete, in phases. Underpinning requires close attention to design, methodology and safety procedures. If not carried out properly, this kind of work poses very real risks and could see damage to or collapse of the existing home. The reasons for underpinning are generally: The existing foundations of the building have moved – this is caused by poor soil or changes to the soil conditions (e.g. subsidence has occurred). There has been a decision to add another storey to the building, either above or below ground level, and the depth of the existing foundations is inadequate to support the modified building or load (weight) of it. Underpinning work requires very careful planning and execution. If you propose to underpin an existing foundation, approval under the building regulations will normally be required. Gaining such approval will usually involve the preparation of a structural design of the underpinning, including the process to be carried out during construction. An initial step, before substantial commencement of the work, will generally be for a trial hole to be dug next to the existing footings for a structural engineer or surveyor to make an assessment of the circumstances of the case.

16. Trees and hedges Many trees are protected by tree preservation orders which means that, in general, you need the council’s consent to prune or fell them. In addition, there are controls over many other trees in conservation areas. If you are unsure about the status of trees which you intend to prune or fell (or you simply require further information) you should contact your council. The use and nature of hedges can be controlled through planning conditions and legal covenants. You don’t normally need permission to plant a hedge in your garden. And there are no laws that say how high you can grow your hedge. However, you are responsible for looking after any hedge on your property and for making sure it is not a nuisance to anyone else. If a hedge does adversely affect the owners/occupiers of an adjoining domestic property then they may be able to take action through the High Hedges complaints system introduced by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003.

Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information


16. Builders Cleans Building work such as new builds, renovations, extensions, often generate large amounts of dust, debris and soiled areas, which leave the newly created premises untidy, so when the building work is near completion, the householder often looks for a professional Cleaning service. Most homeowners or offices anticipate the builders to clean up their mess right after the design process, most builders or renovators do not do a excellent job. Hence, a good deal of debris and grime is left on the flooring, partitions and counter tops. Offices or homes which want to be functional as swiftly as possible ought to engage productive builders cleaning companies to do the occupation. These kinds of cleaners are knowledgeable and proficient in their jobs. A working day delayed for business would price the firm large losses if it are able to commence its business functions thanks to the unavailability of the operation premise. Despite the fact that an business office does not expect its personnel to thoroughly clean up the office, most would count the workers to preserve their individual workspace tidy personally. The bulkier products and general workplace cleanliness are usually referred to skilled cleaners.

Professional, caring, reliable and local... • Builders Cleans • Property Cleans • Personal Service • Small dedicated team • Weekly service also available


House Cleaning Service

Julie Bridge Tel: 01359 250000 Mob: 0788 2933574 E:

Trust the domestic cleaning experts at

MOLLY MAID • Uniformed and Professionally trained staff • 100% guaranteed and insured • Free in-home estimate • No contracts • All materials supplied • Spring Cleans. House Moving Cleans • Regular or occasional cleans & one Of Cleans • More affordable than you think

Tel: 01905 756466

After Builders Clean




Tor Electrical Matlock

E clusive Driveways Cleaned

All Electrical Work Undertaken

Driveways, Decking Cleaned and Weeds Removed

New Builds Extentions Kitchens After

Lighting & Sockets, Rewiring

Please call for a Free Estimate


14 Tor Rise, Matlock, DE4 3DL

Tel: 01629

701 921 Mob: 07971 967 338


Keep your driveway, paths or patio looking as good as new. We offer a fast, efficient, 'No Mess - No Fuss' way to add new life to dirty, dull and tired looking paving. We'll give you the look of a new drive / patio at a fraction of the cost. Using specialist cleaning products and the latest high powered cleaners we will return your drive or patio to a great looking asset it once was. Add back that enviable kerbside appeal.

Contact Glen: 07870 695 809 01253 865171

Expert advice on the perfect fitted kitchen from Howdens Joinery. If you’re looking for a beautiful kitchen, talk to us and we’ll tell you all about the way Howdens Joinery works. One of our designers will help you design your kitchen, and help you choose from our range of over 40 different styles. Our products are only available to you through your builder or professional fitter, because we believe that the best way to install a fully fitted and perfectly working kitchen is to use an expert. Our designers will explain how to find a builder and will be on hand throughout should you need more advice. We are a UK manufacturer and have over 460 depots nationwide, which means local convenience, support and knowledge. We supply over 400,000 kitchens in this way each year, and our products are always locally in stock, so both you and your builder have the reassurance that we will have what you need, when you need it.

Call Now! to arrange your FREE site survey quoting your reference: PAG1

HOWDENS HOWDENS MANCHESTER ROMFORD Unit 5, Manchester Industrial Estate Park Unit 2-3, King George Close,

Picture: Glendevon Cream Kitchen

Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information

Holt Street, Manchester, M40 5AX Off Eastern Ave Way, Romford, RM7 7PN Tel: 0161 205 7541 Tel: 01708 756603 Fax: 01708 751854 Email: Email:


Depot opening:hours: MondayFriday 7.30am-5pm, Depot opening Monday-Friday 7am-5pm,Saturday Saturday8am-12noon. 8am-12 noon.




16. Brickwork External Walls If you live in a listed building, you will need listed building consent for any significant works whether internal or external. If you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or the Broads, you will need to apply for planning permission before cladding the outside of your house with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles. Outside these areas, cladding may be carried out without having to first apply for planning permission provided the materials are of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house.

Building Regulations If you want to re-render or replace timber cladding to external walls, building regulations may apply depending on the extent of the work. Where 25 per cent or more of an external wall is re-rendered, re-clad, re-plastered or re-lined internally or where 25 per cent or more of the external leaf of a wall is rebuilt, the regulations would normally apply and the thermal insulation would normally have to be improved. If you want to insert insulation into a cavity wall the appropriate requirements will be applied to ensure the insulation material is suitable, and that in the case of some foam insulants the risk of formaldehyde gas emission is assessed. Read more about insulation.

The bottom of the cavity should be filled with lean mixed concrete with a slant towards the external skin or have a cavity tray installed that also slants towards the outer skin to ensure any moisture that could get inside the cavity will be directed away from the inner skin.

Solid Wall This is where there is only one skin of masonry which can consist of brick/blockwork The high standards of thermal insulation needed in buildings means that it is more difficult to achieve those standards with solid masonry wall construction. Solid blockwork constructions may meet the requirements if allied with other insulation products and surface finishes. Existing External Walls in Conversion ProjectsExisting walls will need to be checked for their adequacy in terms of: Weight (Loading) and structural stability Weather resistance (including Damp-proofing) Thermal resistance and changes to ‘thermal elements’ If they need to be upgraded, this may well involve the addition of a new internal skin - possibly constructed of lightweight studwork. The detail at the foot of the new skin will need careful planning to ensure that damp-proofing arrangements are sound and that any new timbers are protected from damp.

17. Garage Doors

Walls can be constructed in various ways by using timber frame structure or masonry structure. If using a masonry structure then two forms of construction can be used:

Cavity Wall This is where there are two skins of masonry, the outer skin can be of brickwork or blockwork and the inner skin is generally of blockwork The gap between the two skins will vary depending on the type of insulation that is to be used. To stop the two skins from falling away from each other they should be tied together using wall-ties at appropriate centres. These ties should also be resistant to corrosion. It would be a mistake to not at least give some consideration to the many different types and options now available in a modern garage door before deciding which door to purchase. Here are just some examples why doors are changed and what to consider:

• Insulation A big factor when your garage is integral to the house and also for the millions of people who never put a vehicle in their garage and choose instead to use it for a workshop, gym, office or other use. For many people the garage is that extra room required these days for all the stuff we have to store.

• Security Another huge factor for millions of people. Breaking into most garages is far too easy when the garage door is an old up and over as the locking was pretty poor on doors manufactured over 10 years ago.



An integral garage often leads straight into the main house so security should be high on the list.

18. Lighting

Many new doors are a lot better but for ultimate peace of mind consider the Seceuroglide Excel aluminium security roller garage door or the recently launched Garador Guardian up and over door range as both these door ranges are ‘secured by design’ and have an LPCB level 1 security rating.

Light itself, and minor domestic light fittings, are not subject to planning controls. Nevertheless, if you are planning to install external lighting for security or other purposes, you should ensure that the intensity and direction of light does not disturb others. Many people suffer extreme disturbance due to excessive or poorly-designed lighting.

Most good quality sectional doors also offer very high levels of security too, especially if they are double skinned.

• More Width and Height • Space Saving Many people buy one of the many different types of roller shutter doors available now simply to save space and create space inside their garage. The average roller door is only 300mm in diameter and site neatly behind the lintel with minimal space taken by the guides at the side too.

• Ease of Use • Natural Light in the Garage There are so many window and glazing options now available in most garage door ranges it is impossible to show the various effects they create. If you need natural light in your garage however you are spoilt for choice. Some garage doors will have considerably larger window options than other however and you can even get sectional doors with glazing top to bottom.

• Safety A natural consideration but one so often overlooked. Obviously think about smaller children when specifying a new garage door and make sure it has the minimum safety standards adhered to and others if required especially if the door is remote control operated.

Ensure that beams are NOT pointed directly at windows of other houses. Security lights fitted with passive infra-red detectors (PIRs) and/or timing devices should be adjusted so that they minimise nuisance to neighbours and are set so that they are not triggered by traffic or pedestrians passing outside your property. A neighbour might take you to court if you are negligent or cause nuisance. If your property is a listed building you should always consult the Local Planning Authority.

Building Regulations If you are carrying out electrical work and fixing lighting to the outside of your house in England and Wales, you will have to follow new building regulations rules. You should either use an installer who is registered with the competent person scheme or make an application to your local authority’s building control department or approved inspectors. It is now a general aim to make our buildings as energy efficient as possible. You are required to install efficient electric lighting to your house in specific circumstances including: When your dwelling has been extended When your existing lighting system is being replaced as part of re-wiring works. An example of efficient lighting is where reasonable provision should be made to enable effective control and/or use of efficient lamps such that: Either, lamp capacity does not exceed 150 Watts per light fitting and the lighting automatically switches off when there is enough daylight and when it is not required at night; or the lighting fittings have sockets that can only be used with lamps having an efficacy greater than 40 lumens per circuitWatt.

Improved Looks? A major factor for many is the ‘kerb’ appeal of the house and changing the garage door can make a dramatic impact as they are so large by comparison to other features of an average home. So many GRP, timber and modern trandy coloured steel up and over doors as well as the designer sectional garage doors can make a huge impact on your home and Hormann have a full range of garage doors with matching front entrance doors to really make an impression.

Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information

External Lights If you are installing an external light which is supplied from your electrical system and fixed to the exterior surface of your house then you should ensure that reasonable provisions are made to enable effective control and/or use of energy efficient lamps. Two options for achieving this are: Installing a lamp with a capacity which does not exceed 150W per light fitting and the lighting automatically switches off both when there is enough daylight and also when it is not required at night Ensuring that the lighting fittings you use have sockets that can only be used with lamps having an energy efficacy greater than 40 lumens per circuit-watt.



16 sq toextension? 150 sq ft units available Building anft12/08/2013 x 3x2_aa Master 08:42 Page 1 Easy access and parking - CCTV

Need some extra storage space? Contact us on 01908 319399 77 Alston Drive, Bradwell Abbey, Milton Keynes MK13 9HG

Whether you are doing it yourself or have employed someone else to do it for you, renovating your home can be an exciting time. The only conundrum many people find themselves facing is where to store their belongings whilst the work is taking place. If you are lucky enough to have a large garage, then this is the most obvious and simple solution. Furniture can safely be stored away until you need it again and the best part is that you don’t have to take it very far. Although this is a great option for many of your belongings, there are no doubt some items you would rather keep somewhere a bit safer. If this is the case, more precious items can be kept in self storage facilities that offer maximum security for your personal belongings. If you are limited for space and need full access to all the rooms in your home, then self storage facilities can be ideal when renovations are underway. As well as giving you the space you need to complete the job properly, you can rest assured that all your possessions are well protected and accessible at any time you need them.

BUSINESS AND PERSONAL STORAGE 16 sq ft to 150 sq ft units available Easy access and parking - CCTV

01908 319399

Contact us on 77 Alston Drive, Bradwell Abbey, Milton Keynes MK13 9HG

19. Carpenter or Joiner Whether it’s moving up or moving out an extension or loft conversion is a much cheaper and less stressful way of gaining that extra living space you require and has the added benefit of adding value to your home in the process. A Carpenter or Joiner could help you in the following areas: • cutting and shaping timber for floorboards, skirting boards and window frames • making and assembling doors, window frames, staircases and fitted furniture

If your renovation includes more than just a lick of paint and you are planning to buy brand new furniture too, storage can become an issue if decorating takes longer than anticipated. If delaying delivery isn’t an option and you are short on space, putting things straight into a self storage facility is a great resolution. Asking the company you bought your new furniture from to deliver it straight to your storage location is ideal because it minimises the chances of damage as everything is still packaged. You also get the added bonus of receiving help from delivery professionals who can store everything away to maximise your space. Protecting furniture is a primary concern for many people when they are doing up their home. It is well worth taking the time to make sure everything is securely covered because chances are that accidents can and will happen. If you don’t think it’s worth the risk, then self storage facilities are undoubtedly the safest place for your prized possessions. This way you can guarantee that your furniture will be safe, it will not need to be covered and when your house is in good shape once again, everything can return as pristine as it was the day it left.

• fitting wooden structures, like floor and roof joists, roof timbers, staircases, partition walls, and door and window frames (first fixings) • installing skirting boards, door surrounds, doors, cupboards and shelving, as well as door handles and locks (second fixings) • building temporary wooden supports for concrete that is setting, for example on motorway bridge supports or building foundations (formwork) • making and fitting interiors for shops, hotels, banks, offices and public buildings.



20. Interior Design Embarking on a home renovation or interior design project can be a minefield and it is often difficult to know where to start or who to talk to, hiring a Interior designer takes away those headaches and offers a ‘one stop shop’ for design and renovations.

Opening Hours: Monday: By appointment only Tuesday - Friday: 10.30am - 4.00pm Saturday: 9.00am - 3.00pm Email:

From obtaining planning permission, if required, right the way through to hanging your pictures ensuring that stunning results are delivered on time and on budget.

• • • • • • • • • • • •

118 Watling Street East Towcester, NN12 6BT

Tel: 01327 352842 Mob: 07941 669845

Made to Measure Curtains and Blinds Ready Made Curtains Curtain Making Supplies and Sundries Fabrics, Loose Covers, and Upholstery Wallpapers Little Greene Paint Harlequin Wall Coverings Lighting and Furniture Tracks and Poles Complete Interior Design and Home Consultaion Installation and Dressing Accessories and Home Staging to help sell your home

21. Furniture (Sofas, Bed etc) When the building work is complete the property owner has to furnish accordingly whether that be furniture Ie sofas, tables, lightening or beds, for the additional bedrooms and its probably a long time since they purchased these items so we steer them in the right direction.

Home renovations are becoming a popular option for many people when they find their home is dated, the floorplan is not working, or they jut need to add space. An Interior Designer can help you to assess your home as it is now and give you the options that are available for a home design solution that works for you. Whether you require a room makeover, an extension, a conservatory, a new kitchen or bathroom an interior designer can project manage from beginning to end.

Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information


Tel: 01253 892899 Fax: 01253 892918 Email: Web: The Planning Advisory Group is part of the Corporate Design Company (CDC) Limited Unit 9, Cocker Avenue, Poulton Business Park, Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancashire, FY6 8JU Disclaimer: this is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information.



Profile for CDC

The Planning Advisory Group 2013 Booklet  

The official A4 booklet for The Planning Advisory Group. Please not that each individual edition contains regional variations to the one dis...

The Planning Advisory Group 2013 Booklet  

The official A4 booklet for The Planning Advisory Group. Please not that each individual edition contains regional variations to the one dis...