Page 1

For Preservation The Newsletter of Greater Houston Preservation Alliance

~

Volume 15, No.2

Summer 2004

Bright Lights, Big City

Houston recognizes the attractions of ur1an living More than 200 preservation supporters were the first to hear the unexpected results of the latest Houston Area Survey when Dr. Stephen L. Klineberg spoke at GHP1% National Preservation Week Luncheon on May 6 at The Houston Club . The Rice University sociology professor said interest in urban living has increased among suburban residents for the first time since he began conducting the comprehensive community attitudes survey in 1982. The results show that 38% of Harris County suburban residents said they were interested in moving into the city, a 27% increase over last years results. ''This is a dramatic reversal from all the past years," said Klineberg. "For the first time ever, there is as great an interest in moving into the city as there is in moving out to the suburbs." Houstons efforts to attract economic development must reflect these changing alliludes toward urban living. "The strategies for Houstons economic success in the 20th century will have to be radically different in the 21st century;" said Klineberg. ''The city was built with a 19th-century, business-oriented philosophy Quality-of-life issues were never much of a concern in Houston." "Now there is an economic case for addressing quality-of-life issues, like historic preservation,

..2 ยง"

1 a "

~ ~i5 .ll

"

0'::

Dr. Stephen L. Klineberg oj Rice University discussed Houstonians' changing attitudes toward quality-oj-life issues at GHPA"s Preservation Week Luncheon.

if the city is to attract and keep creative people who can choose to live anywhere they want," he said. As evidence of the citys growing awareness of the importance of maintaining

authenticity and a unique sense of place, the luncheon featured a display of preservation projects in progress throughout Houston. Nine firms exhibited plans and renderings under the auspices of the American Institute of

Architects, Houston-Historic Resources Committee. A list of the participants is included on page 3 of this newsletter. The exhibited projects were very well-received by luncheon attendees. "I am proud that two of the projects are in my district," City Council Member Adrian Garcia, District H, told the audience. "We are committed to doing what we can to enhance historic architecture in Houston" Garcia and Council Member Pam Holm, District G, presented a Preservation Week proclamation from Mayor Bill White. GHPA board member Dr. Mary Ann Reynolds of Stewart Title chaired the event. She introduced public officials attending the luncheon, including City of Houston Historical Preservation Officer Randy Pace, Harris County Historical Commission Chairman Al Davis and a representative of Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. Former City Council Member Eleanor Tinsley received a warm round of applause on her introduction. The National Trust for Historic Preservation created National Preservation Week in 1971 to celebrate and encourage grassroots preservation efforts. The theme of Preservation Week 2004 was, "New Frontiers in Preservation."

1910 Blessed Sacrament School Faces Demolition The Diocese of Galveston-Houston has halted plans to renovate the former Blessed Sacrament School, 4015 Sherman, in the East End. GHPA has reported on the local parishs efforts to stabilize and mothball this historic building while money was being raised to renovate the structure as a community center and build additional facilities. Parish leaders had succeeded in raising $650,000 for the project, which included restoring the second-floor auditorium and its original pressed metal ceiling. The Diocese has now informed the parish that it will no longer support preserving the historic building. The Diocese is also shelving an architectural plan for the renovation created at no charge by the University of Houston's College of Architecture, which found the 94-year-old building to be structurally sound. When GHP1% Preservation Alert about Blessed Sacrament was e-mailed to members in May,

it inspired the Houston Chronicle to cover the story GHPA followed with its own op-ed piece in the Chronicle. The Diocese has hired an architect to design a new building and will pay for demolition and abatement of the historic structure and to build a replacement. The project is expected to

begin within three months and will result in a modern intrusion adjacent to Blessed Sacrament's historic sanctuary and rectory. The Brady family, prominent Houstonians for whom Brady's Island is named, donated the land and bricks for the building, which was constructed in 1910. Architects Lewis Sterling Green

~ :s OQ

"'.;:" '"

Q

The Jormer Blessed Sacrament School could be demolished by the end of summer if the Diocese oj Galveston-Houston carries out its current plans. The East End landmark was designed by prominent architect Birdsall P. Briscoe and completed in 1910.

and Birdsall P. Briscoe designed the structure with Romanesque detailing. According to architectural historian Stephen Fox, Blessed Sacrament is believed to be the only religious structure deSigned by Briscoe, one of Houston's most prominent architects of the early 20th century Worship services were held in the building until the present sanctuary was completed in 1924. Blessed Sacrament School occupied the building until 1991. GHPA members are encouraged to express their concerns about this project by writing the Diocese of GalvestonHouston. Please address separate letters to the bishop, Most Reverend Joseph A. Fiorenza, and coadjutor bishop, Most Reverend Daniel N . DiNardo, at the Diocese of Galveston-Houston, 2700 San Jacinto Street, Houston, TX 77001-0907. It is particularly important for members of Roman Catholic parishes to identify themselves when contacting the bishop.

From the Executive Director It is often difficult to explain GHPP6 role as an advocacy group, but a threat to a local landmark illustrates the relevance and importance of our mission. In mid June, GHPA staff received a call that the Sociedad Mutualista Benito Juarez Casino Hall was to be auctioned for back taxes. Casino Hall was built in 1928 by a MexicanAmerican mutual aid society and remained an important center for the Hispanic community. After confirming the information, we sent an e-mail alert to our members, who forwarded the message to a wider audience . We also contacted interested organizations, including Houston Hispanic Forum and Tejano Association for Historic Preservation, who spread the word among their members. GHPA sent out a media alert, which resulted in news coverage by television stations and the Houston Chronicle, and generated interest in the larger community People not usually concerned with preservation began to call our office. The media attention encouraged the owners family to pay the taxes and remove the building from the auction. Although the family is proud of the building, they do not have the resources to preserve it. GHPA was able to put the owner in touch with members of the Hispanic community who have expressed an interest in renovating the property. The Tejano Association is also working to have a Texas historical marker placed at Casino Hall. GHPA cannot save enough individual buildings to make an impact on the city As advocates, we can educate the public and create interest that will empower people to take action. As a GHPA member, your role is to make us aware of historic buildings that are coming on the market or are threatened by demolition or neglect. When you receive a Preservation Alert, pass it on to others who might be interested and contact the appropriate officials or organizations. If you aren't currently receiving our alerts, please send you e-mail address to

info@ghpa.org. Together we can create a preservation ethic for Houston.

~L Ramona Davis Executive Director


Volunteer Reaps Unexpected Reward Program in 2000, she conducted more research and further explorations of the cemetery to expand the walking tour content. In the course of her research and while arranging GHPAS tours of Glenwood, she became acquainted with Richard Ambrus, the cemetery's vice president and general manager. When a position on the Glenwood staff became available late last year, Ambrus remembered Peterson's extensive and wellorganized research as well as her obvious affection for Glenwood.

prOvide for maintenance of the cemetery in perpetuity. Working at Glenwood has not diminished Peterson's affection for the cemetery "When you drive through those gates, there is a feeling of peace," she said. "It's still a special place." For information on the Glenwood CemcteJY Historic Preservation Foundation or to make a donation, please contact Martha Peterson at 713.864.7886 or martha-peterson@sbcglobal.net.

Discussions began that resulted in a job offer that Peterson accepted with enthusiasm. Peterson's research and organizational skills are being put to good use. She is facilitating the completion of a history of Glenwood Cemetery that will be published in the coming year. Future projects include a Web site and tour brochure. More immediate concerns center on raising funds for erosion control, monument restoration, and increasing the permanent fund to

GHPA Walking Tours co-chair Martha Petmon is helping preserve historic Glenwood Cemetery.

Volunteering is usually a gratifying experience in and of itself, but sometimes it can have unexpected benefits. Just ask Martha Peterson, who was offered her current job as a result of her volunteer efforts as co-chair of GHPAS Walking Tours Program. In January 2004, Peterson began working as projects coordinator for the Glenwood Cemetery Historic Preservation Foundation, a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization created to support the preservation of Glenwood Cemetery outside the scope of normal cemetery operations. Although Peterson has conducted walking tours on 37

different topics since volunteering as a docent for the program in 1995, she has always said without hesitation that Glenwood was her favorite . "It's always been a very special place to me," said Peterson. "It is a place of such beauty and so many Significant people are buried there." Glenwood was incorporated in 1871 and is the final resting place of some of Houston's most prominent citizens. The cemetery is located at 2525 Washington Avenue on the north bank of Buffalo Bayou. After Peterson became chair of GHPAS Walking Tours

The Avenging Angel on the tomb oj Capt. William Dunavant is one oj Glenwood Cemeterys best-known sculptures

Endangered Buildings

-=

~

, -=--:-- . .

8 Scttegast Estate Building, 1938

GHPA representatives have met with Houston Independent School District staff to discuss options for preserving the 1938 Settegast Estate Building. The Art Moderne style structure in the 200 block of West Gray could be demolished when HISD completes the new High School for the Performing and Visual Arts (HSPVA). The historic structure was restored in the 1990s before HISD acquired the property. The district currently intends to use the Settegast building as a construction office for the HSPVA project, then demolish the structure for parking when the school is completed. In response to concerns expressed by state Senator Rodney Ellis, HISD Superintendent Kaye Stripling has agreed to appoint a community advisory committee to address the preservation issues associated with the site. GHPA has contacted Dr. Stripling regarding membership on the committee. The Settegast Estate Building is the last historic structure remaining

Cage Elementary, ca. 1910

on the seven-acre school site. Streamlined detailing and oversized porthole windows distinguish the structure, which was designed by Moore & Lloyd, the firm of noted Houston architect Harvin C. Moore. The building's fluted, stepped turret is visible from Montrose Boulevard and marks the pivot point where West Gray enters the Freedmen's Town Historic District. The building contains eight storefronts. It was the home of Houston's Orange Crush bottling plant from the end of the DepreSSion to the 1950s. A ghost sign promoting the soft drink is faintly visible on an exterior wall. Work on the school site has generated its share of preservation concerns, including the demolition of historic houses and the removal of original brick streets. The most recent controversy resulted from a researcher's discovery of archival evidence that the property contains Civil Warera graves of Union soldiers.

HISD is also preparing to sell the former Rufus Cage Elementary School, 1417 Telephone Road, near the historic Eastwood neighborhood. The school was completed around 1910 and is one of the district's oldest surviving structures. The two-story Mission style building sits on a raised basement. Bid packets are expected to be available this summer. GHPA will e-mail members and post the property on its Web site, www.ghpa.org, as soon as the information is released. Architect Joseph Finger's 1927 Cotton Building, 502 Caroline Street, could be torn down if Christ Church Cathedral carries out its current plans to redevelop the site. Preliminary proposals would replace the four-story office building with a parking garage. The neighboring Palace Boot Shop, 121 Prairie, is also slated for demolition. Finger deSigned the Cotton Building for tenants who could

Association Building, 5301 Bissonnet, with a drive-thru facility. The boomerang-shaped pavilion was created by Fleming Associates. It is included in the American Institute of Architects' Houston Architectural Guide of significant buildings. The City of Bellaire will hold a public hearing on the proposed demolition in July. Information about the meeting will be posted at www.ghpa.org.

not find space in the new Cotton Exchange Building, 1300 Prairie at Caroline, which opened in 1924. The Cotton Building's straightforward design features Finger's signature pinnacles along the roofline . The intersection of Prairie and Caroline is one of the last in downtown Houston with historic buildings on each of the four corners. Southwest Bank of Texas intends to replace the 1960 Southwestern Savings

~

(i

Cotton Building, 1927

Southwestern Savings Assn. Bldg., 1960


Preservation Progress =-

'"

o o

ÂŁ

""

Harris County Courthouse, 1910

Restoration of the Harris County Courthouse is a step closer to reality. Texas Historical Commission (THC) is providing Harris County a $500,000 planning grant for the proposed renovation through the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program . GHPA submitted a letter of support with the grant application to THC at the request of County Judge Robert Eckels. When the new Civil Courts Building is completed in the 200 block of Caroline, the historic courthouse will be vacated and completely restored. The classical, domed building was completed in 1910 from a design by the Dallas firm Lang & Witchell. This is the fifth courthouse to occupy the square bounded by Fannin, Congress, San Jacinto and Preston since the congress of the Republic of Texas designated Houston the county seat in 1837. Al Davis, chairman of the Harris County Historical Commission and GHPA exofficio board member, said, 'The restored courthouse will be the centerpiece for downtown preservation. " New owners with a commitment to preservation have made it possible for GHPA to remove the

Lantrip Elementary, 1916

Rein Company Building, 1928

former Rein Company Building, 4301 Allen Parkway, from the Endangered Buildings List. The Spanish / Mediterranean-style printing plant and its distinctive clock tower have been local landmarks since 1928. The complex had been on GHPA's Endangered List since the neighboring Gulf Publishing Company Building (1928) was demolished for a high-rise condominium project. Developers had considered demolishing the Rein Company Building to expand the condominium's parking garage . Cisneros Design Studio planned the renovation, which recreates architectural elements that were removed when the building was remodeled as a savings and loan branch office. The designs are based on historic photographs provided by the original owner's granddaughter. Landscape architect James Burnett also created plans based on the historic deSigns. When work is completed this summer, the building will house the offices of a law firm with additional space available for lease. The Rein Company Building was originally designed by Howell & Thomas, an Ohio architectural firm that specialized in printing plants. The Rein

Company's office and advertiSing studio occupied the two-story wing while presses were housed in the adjacent one-story plant. Houston Independent School District is developing plans to renovate two historic schools that had been threatened with demolition. Strong neighborhood support played an important role in influenCing the district's decision to preserve both local landmarks. HISD has discarded its proposal to tear down Dora B. Lantrip Elementary School, 100 Telephone Road, the district's oldest building still in use. The Mission style complex was built in 1916 as Eastwood Elementary At the time it opened, Lantrip was Houston's first "cottage plan" school, with classrooms occupying bungalowstyle buildings sep:lr:ltc from the school's administration building. HISD originally planned to raze the historic structures and build a replacement. Neighborhood residents, led by the Eastwood Historical Commission with support from GHPA, were successful in their efforts to convince HISD to renovate the complex. The school's 1916 administration building and detached classroom

buildings will be restored. Later additions will be demolished with new facilities constructed in a style complementing the original buildings. HISD has also slated William B. Travis Elementary School, 3311 Beauchamp, for a complete renovation. Earlier in the year it appeared the entire school might be demolished or the circa 1926 fa<;;ade would be incorporated into a new building. Neighborhood residents, led by the Travis PTA with backing from the Woodland Heights Civic Association, strongly supported preserving the entire historic building.

The school district performed final tests during Spring Break to determine the historic structure's ability to meet the added weight requirements for modern HISD buildings. The school passed the stress tests, which allow for a maximum one-inch deflection in the structure before it is deemed unsound. Renovations to Travis Elementary are scheduled to be completed by the fall of 2006. The Lantrip and Travis projects are part of the school district's "Rebuild HISD" program, which was funded by the 2002 bond issue .

Travis Elementary, ca. 1926

GHPA

Research Center Creates Architecture Index Houston Public Library's Houston Metropolitan Research Center (HMRC) is in the process of creating an important tool for researchers and preservationists, but volunteers are needed to complete the project. The HMRC collection contains more than 125,000 architectural drawings from dozens of architecture firms. The Center, located in the historic Julia Ideson Building, has begun cross-indexing the documents to improve access to the collection. "It's going to be a big boon for our customers. Up until now, you had to know the name of the architect or his firm to find a document," said HMRC Manager Rolando Romo . "Now the documents will also be cross-referenced by the name of the client [who commissioned the project] and the building name or address." So far, cross-referenced indexes have been completed for the collections of Alfred C Finn, Harvin C Moore, MacKie & Kamrath, and John Staub . Romo

completed 1200 entries and a volunteer completed an additional 400 entries. "With 125,000 drawings in the collection, we've still got a long way to go," said Romo. "We're going to have to rely on volunteers, because we don't have the staff to finish the job." HMRC is seeking volunteers to work on Phase II of the crossreferencing project. The work involves going through the archival folders of architectural drawings, finding the necessary information and entering the information in the library's database.

Potential volunteers should be familiar with Excel and must be available during hours when the archive staff is present: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday The work would take place in the Houston Public Library's Ideson Building, 500 McKinney Avenue, downtown. Interested individuals should contact Rolando Romo at 832.393.1377 or rolando.romo@cityojhouston.net.

GHPA's Walking Tours Program and Historic Neighborhoods Council (HNC) are cooperating in a

joint project at the Julia Ideson Building on Saturday, August 21. During the aJternoon program, GHPA volunteers will conduct a guided architecture tour oj the 1926 Spanish Renaissance library building and HMRC staJJ will Jamiliarize program participants with the resources oj the Houston Metropolitan Research Center. Details will be posted on wwwghpa.org and will be e-mailed to GHPA and HNC members. IJ you would like to receive e-mail notices oj GHPA programs, please send your e-mail address to info@ghpa.org.

J

-S ÂŁl4~~-

~ a '~{ ~. '" .

.

o

o

~

~

Moore & Lloyd's 1934 ,-cndering of the Houston Casket Co. Building on Live Oak aLjefferson is among the historic architectural drawings included in the Houston Metropolitan Research Center's new reference index.

Receives Grants Houston Endowment Inc. has approved a $75,000 grant over two years to Greater Houston Preservation Alliance. The funds will be applied toward the general operating budget. "With this grant, Houston Endowment is sending a clear message on the importance of historic preservation as a qualityof-life issue in our community," said GHPA Executive Director Ramona Davis. "We are very grateful for the Endowment's generosity and support." Houston Endowment Inc., a philanthropy endowed by Mr. and Mrs. Jesse H. Jones, was founded in 1937 to help establish and develop institutions and organizations that would nurture Houston's people and encourage the city's growth. The Cultural Arts Council of Houston and Harris County (CACHH) has approved a $16,800 grant to GHPA for fiscal year 2004-2005. Since 1977, CACHH has provided financial support to more than 200 non-profit organizations providing a broad range of diverse cultural programs


2004 National Preservation Weel~ Luncheon Photography by Pete Baat;: I Formula One Photography

~ i

t

I

Nabila Cron[cI, GHPA board memba and iunchmn chair Dr. Mary Ann Revnolds, JaneL Spencer

District G.

GHPA WalRing Tours volunteer Frank Stowell, GHPA board l11el11ber Carl11en Nadolney, Frank Nadolney.

GHPA Vice President-Events Nancy Ames, Cindy Crane Garbs, GHPA President Elect Eileen Hricii<, Nancy Riviere, Brian HeiLshusen .

Richard Maxwell, Michelle Sabino, Barry Moore, GHPA board member Paul Homeyer

Bi!! Franks, HOLlsLon City COLlncii member Pam Holm, GHPA PI'esident Rich Walton, Houston Communitv College System ChclI1cellor Bwce Leslie, Ph.D.

GHPA board member Diane Genclc!, GHPA Vice President-Devc!opment LouLl H,

Shidl11ore,}I:, Margaret Sllidmore.

Houston City Council mel11bers Adrian Garcia, District H, and Pal11 Holm,

Sydnev Faust, GHPA board member Cora Sue Mach, Cindy Crane Garbs, GHPA Vice President-Marketing Gracie Cavn([l:

Malita Burns and Tommy Hallgren.

Luncheon Exhi1itors GHPA thanks the American Institute of Architects, Houston Historic Resources Committee for coordinating the display of in-progress preseryation projects at the 2004 Preservation Week Luncheon. The following firms took part in the program:

Anna Mod, Historic Preservationist - 1924 Jefferson Davis Hospital, First Ward; 1903 Palace Hotel, Congress at LaBranch. Bailey Architects - 1921 Autry House and 1927 Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church, 6200 block Main. Cisneros Design Studio - 1925 Houston Light Guard Armory, 3816 Caroline; 1928 Rein Company Building, 3401 Allen Parkway (see related story on page 4).

(905 Main Building, 1926); 1926 Everitt-Buelow Store, 1101 Main; 1949 Capitan Theater, Pasadena, Hall Barnum Lucchesi Architects 1868 Pillot House, Sam Houston Park. HillMyers Architects 1940 Houston Municipal Air Terminal, Phase II,

Thank you! GHPA gratefully acknowledges these organizations and indiyiduals for their support of the 2004 Preservation Week Luncheon:

Stewart Title BMS Management, Inc . Connelly Baker Wotring Jackson LLP ].A Elkins, Jr.

Foreman, DeGeurin &: Nugent Michael Gaertner &: Associates 1912 Dow School, Old Sixth Ward; 1913 Stowers Building, Fannin at Walker.

Fretz Construction Company Gensler Houston Hispanic Forum Kirksey

Gensler - 1903 Willow Street Pump Station; ca. 1895 Burton Building, 1000 block Prairie; 1903 Fire Station #6, Washington Avenue; ca. 1920 Rosenwald School, West Columbia; Holy Cross Chapel

~:

"

(J

Capitan Theater (Pasadena)' 19-19

Ray + Hollington 1934 Byrd's Department Store, Main at Prairie.

North Houston Bank

WOo Neuhaus and Associates1924 Jefferson Davis Hospital, First Ward.

Ward &: Ames Special Events

Phelps Dunbar LLP Strake Foundation Winstead Sechrest &: Minick


Cornerstone Dinner Presenting the

2004

Good Bricl~ Awards Photography by Pete

Baat~

I Formula One Photography

Ed Wul(e, Shelby Hodge, Mayor Bill White, Good Blicl1 Awards jury member SllaJil1 Ri(aat.

Kelly Somoza, Dick Kurigel; GHPA board member Beth Madison.

Cathy and Franl1 Hevrdjes.

GHPA Vice President-Events Nancy Ames, Good Blick Awards emcee Lisa Faranda of Channcill News, Cornerstone Dinner chair Phyllis Childress.

Story Sloane and Jane Sloane.

Stewart Mon'is,]r with Stewart Title Award winner Harris County District Clerk Charles Bacarrise and GHPA President Ricl1 Walton.

Lynda Calloway, GHPA Board Secrdary AI Calloway, City of Houston Controller Anise Parker.

Ellie Sweeney, Houston Chronicle President and Publisher Jack Sweeney, GHPA ExeClitive Director Ramona Davis.

GHPA board member Eileen Hricih, Cornerstone Dinner chair Phyllis Childress, Eric Littlejohn, GHPA board member Lynne Bentsen.

2004 Good Brick Awards Underwriters Pinnacle

Cornerstone

Mortar

JPMorganChase Phyllis Childress and Tony Abyad Ward &: Ames Special Events

Lynne Bentsen and Beth Madison North Houston Bank Union Pacific Foundation

Foundation

Bricks

Bowne / Eileen and George Hricik Dr. John P McGovern Foundation Stewart Title

Mr. &: Mrs. John L. Nau, 1II / Silver Eagle Distributors, L.P G.T. Leach Construction, Inc. Housing Horizons, LLC Houston Chronicle The Mid-Continent Companies, Ltd. Strake Foundation Ronald W Woliver

American Institute of Architects, Houston Blumenthal Sheet Metal / William Lipscomb Camden Property Trust Gracie and Bob Cavnar Avon Duson and Frank Smith Fretz Construction Company Cindy and Randy Garbs Anita and David Garten Gensler Halliburton Haynes Whaley Associates, Inc. Heritage Texas Properties Fran k]. Hevrdejs

Susan and Roy Hill Gov. &: Mrs.William P Hobby Houston Hispanic Forum Beverly and Tommy Jacomini ].E. Dunn Construction The Magnolia Richard W Mithoff Pearson English / Compass Bank Patty and Bill Porter SpawGlass Construction Corp. Spire Realty Group, Inc. Paula and David Steakley Story Sloanes Gallery Mr. &: Mrs. Wallace S. Wilson


Greater Houston Preservation Alliance 2003-2004 Board of Directors Rick Walton

Anita Garten

Eileen Hricik

Tony Abyad

Alfred J. Calloway

President

Past President

President Elect

Treasurer

Secretary

David B. Jones

Louis H Skidmore, Jr.

Strategic Planning

Development

Vice Presidents Nancy Ames

Gracie Cavner

Special Events

Marketing / Public Relations

L Susan Hill Historic Neighborhoods Council/Programs

Directors Natalye Appel Lynne Bentsen

Monique Bossett Charles Foster Diane Gendel

Paul Homeyer Gigi Huang Patricia Laurent

Cora Sue Mach Beth Madison Carmen Nadolney

Patty Porter Mary Ann Reynolds

Business Members

Ex-Officio R. George Cunningham Parliamentarian Charles D. Maynard, Jr. Legal Counsel Jane Cahill Old Sixth Ward Neighborhood Assn. Al Davis Chairman, Harris County Historical Commission Robert Litke Director, City of Houston Dept. of Planning and Development Randy Pace City of Houston Historical Preservation Officer Bart Truxillo Director Emeritus

GHPA Board Members are nominated by the Nominating Committee, approved by the Board, and elected by the membership.

Tony Abyad / 917 Franklin Land, Ltd. American Institute of Architects, Houston Chapter Associated General Contractors, Houston Chapter Bowne Blumenthal Sheet Metal BMS Management, Inc. J . P. Bryan / Gage Hotel Budweiser / Silver Eagle Distributors, LP. Camden Property Trust Canyonlands Corp. Case &: Associates, General Contractors Compass Bank Connelly Baker Wotring Jackson LLP El Paso Energy Corporation Foreman, DeGeurin &: Nugent Fretz Construction Company Gensler George H. Lewis &: Sons / Forest Park Lawndale Greenwood King Properties G.T. Leach Construction, Inc. Halliburton Haynes Whaley Associates, Inc. Heritage Texas Properties Hines Housing Horizons, LLC Houston Chronicle The Houston Club Houston Hispanic Forum

Houston House & Home Irvine Team ]. E. Dunn Construction JPMorganChase Kirksey Kendall Heaton Associates Lancaster Hotels &: Resorts Landry's Restaurants, Inc. The Magnolia METRO Transit Authority The Mid-Continent Companies, Ltd. Minnette Boesel Properties Mission Constructors, Inc. Nadolney Enterprises North Houston Bank PaineWebber Investment Banking Pearson English Phelps Dunbar LLP Rice Construction Russo Painting &: Carpentry SpawGlass Construction Corp. Spire Realty Group, Inc. Stewart Title Story Sloane's Gallery Union Pacific WS. Bellows Construction Corp. Walter P. Moore Ward &: Ames Special Events Watkins Hamilton Ross Architects Webb Architects Winstead Sechrest &: Minick

The mission of Greater Houston Preservation Alliance (GHPA) is to promote the preservation and appreciation of Houston's architecturaql and cultural historic resources through education, advocacy and committed action, thereby creating economic value and developing a stronger sense of community. GHPA is a 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit corporation. GHPA is funded in part by grants from the City of Houston through the Cultural Arts Council of Houston / Harris County with additional funding provided by the Texas Commission on the Arts Decentralization Program. For Preseration is published quarterly with the gemerous support of Houston House & Home magazine. Copyright 2004 Greater Houston Preservation Alliance. All rights reserved.

GHPA Calendar For updated information on each of the following events, please visit www.ghpa.org. Saturday, August 21

Joint Walking Tour / Historic Neighborhoods Council Program: Architecture Tour of the Julia P Ideson Building and Resources of the Texas Room.

Tuesday, October 26

GHPA Annual Meeting featuring Stephen Harrigan, author of Gates of the Alamo. Time and location to be announced.

Friday, January 28

Cornerstone Dinner presenting the 200S Good Brick Awards. Time and location to be announced.

Greater Houston Preservation Alliance 712 Main Street, Suite 110 Houston, Texas 77002-3207 Address Correction Requested Return Postage Guaranteed

Nonprofit Org. U.s. Postage Paid Houston, Texas Permit No 712

Summer 2004 GHPA Newsletter  

"For Preservation," the newsletter of Greater Houston Preservation Alliance

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you