The Magazine for Flagler Museum Members
Summer 2012 Volume Nineteen â€˘ Number Two
Independence Day Celebration This year Independence Day celebrations at the Museum will include patriotic songs sung by the Boca raTONES and a reading of the Declaration of Independence. Henry Flagler’s Railcar No. 91 will be decorated with bunting and the Pavilion will be decorated with reproductions of the twenty different United States flags that flew during Henry Flagler’s lifetime, as well as the modern flag. The walkway to the Pavilion will be lined with the flags of all U.S. states, territories, and armed services. The Museum’s Main Gate opens at 8:00 p.m.
There is no better place than the Flagler Museum to enjoy the fireworks display over Lake Worth on the Fourth of July. Museum Members at the Sustaining level and above are invited to enjoy lemonade and ice cream while watching the Fourth of July fireworks. Lawn chairs and blankets are allowed.
Museum Trustees President: George G. Matthews Vice President: G.F. Robert Hanke Treasurer: William M. Matthews Secretary: Thomas S. Kenan, III Trustee: Alexander W. Dreyfoos Trustee: Kelly M. Hopkins Trustee: John B. Rogers
Leadership Staff Executive Director: John M. Blades Business Manager: Kay Anderson Chief Curator: Tracy Kamerer Education Director: Allison Goff Facilities Manager: William Fallacaro Member Services Director: Sarah Brutschy Public Affairs Director: David Carson Store & Cafe Manager: Kristen Cahill
On The Cover Detail of the Linke Clock. This late nineteenth-century rosewood and gilt bronze rococo style clock with cabinetry was made by Francois Linke. The clock still runs and can be heard chiming on the quarter-hour.
The Independence Day celebration is just one of the many benefits of Museum Membership at the Sustaining level and above. Now is the perfect time to upgrade an Individual or Family Membership to enjoy this and many other invitation-only events. For more information on upgrading a Membership or becoming a Member please e-mail the Member Services Director at email@example.com or call (561) 655-2833.
Museum Hours and Admission The Flagler Museum is open year round, Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, noon to 5 p.m. Closed Mondays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day. Admission is $18 for adults, $10 for youth ages 13-17, $3 for children ages 6-12, and children under 6 are free. Admission is free for Members. Special rates are available for groups. The Museum and grounds are wheelchair accessible. Inside Whitehall is published quarterly by the Henry Morrison Flagler Museum, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. The Flagler Museum One Whitehall Way Palm Beach, Florida 33480 Telephone (561) 655-2833 Fax (561) 655-2826 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org website: www.flaglermuseum.us © Flagler Museum, 2012
Flagler Museum Receives Independent Publisher Award The Flagler Museum received an Independent Publisher Book Award for the Centennial Edition of Last Train to Paradise: Henry Flagler and the Spectacular Rise and Fall of the Railroad that Crossed an Ocean, written by Les Standiford. Published to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the completion of Henry Flagler’s Over-Sea Railroad, the Centennial Edition of Last Train to Paradise won the Gold Medal for Best South East Regional Non-Fiction, a category with fifty entries from six different states. Henry Flagler’s Over-Sea Railroad from Miami to Key West was the most ambitious engineering feat ever undertaken by a private citizen. Hailed in newspaper headlines as the “Eighth Wonder of the World,” it was described by Secretary of State and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Elihu Root as “…second only to the Panama Canal in its political and commercial importance to the United States.” This Commemorative Edition of
Last Train to Paradise is richly illustrated with more than 150 images, from a panoramic fold-out image of Henry Flagler’s arrival in Key West to the first million-dollar bond issued for additional construction funding to Mr. Flagler’s 1912 telegram praising his employees. Many of these images have never been published previously. The Independent Publisher Book Awards (“IPPYs”) honor the year’s best independently published books and are intended to bring increased recognition to thousands of exemplary independent titles. Chosen by a judging panel that includes experts from the fields of editing, design, reviewing, book-selling, and libraries, the IPPYs reward those who exhibit innovation and creativity in the world of publishing. Last Train to Paradise is available at the Museum Store and through the Museum’s online store (www.flaglermuseum.us).
Celebrate Grandparents’ Day at Whitehall The Flagler Museum invites grandparents and their families to celebrate Grandparents’ Day at the Museum on September 9th. Family plays an important role in the history of the Flagler Museum. The Museum’s founder, Jean Flagler Matthews, was the granddaughter of Henry Flagler. She preserved Whitehall and its collections to honor her grandfather and educate visitors about the Gilded Age. Share your own family history by taking part in Grandparents’ Day events at the Flagler Museum. Tour Whitehall with a Tour and Activity Guide for Kids and then enjoy family activities in the Flagler Kenan Pavilion. Together families can create a family tree, design a scrapbook page to commemorate the day, write a postcard to send to a family member, and have a photo taken in front of Henry Flagler’s Railcar, No. 91.
Museum Celebrates Over-Sea Railroad Centennial
A student dressed as Henry Flagler. The Museum celebrated the Centennial of the OverSea Railroad with a special student activity. Novelists Edwina Raffa and Annelle Rigsby visited schools in Monroe, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach counties to discuss the historical importance of Henry Flagler’s FEC Railway, and why the railway was the perfect backdrop for their thrilling novel “Kidnapped in Key West.” In an activity that was both inspiring and
educational, students reenacted Henry Flagler’s 1912 arrival in Key West, complete with singing traditional songs, cheering, and a student dressed as Henry Flagler. After the reenactment, students participated in an art activity. Each child left the event with a free copy of “Kidnapped in Key West” as a gift from the Museum, underwritten by the PNC Foundation.
Summer Camp: Crime Investigation During the Gilded Age Come to the Museum for an exciting week of Summer Camp! Campers will explore the forensic and investigative techniques used to solve some of the most infamous crimes of the Gilded Age (1865-1929). Interactive exercises will include collecting evidence, fingerprint analysis, bloodtyping, footprint analysis, hair and fiber examination, and recording eyewitness accounts.
Individual crime investigation kits will be provided to all campers. For more information call the Museum at (561) 6552833. To enroll in the Crime Investigation Summer Camp, complete an Enrollment Form and mail or fax it to the Museum at (561) 655-2826. Tickets and enrollment form available on our website at www.flaglermuseum.us/ programs/summer-camp.
“Victory” is Ours! A relief plaque depicting Victory by Augustus SaintGaudens, one of the most important sculptors of the Gilded Age, was recently given to the Flagler Museum. The painted plaster relief, created circa 1903-1907, is the generous gift of Rita and Peter Heydon of Ann Arbor, Michigan. American sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens (18481907), a great craftsman and portraitist, has been described as the American Michelangelo. Trained in Paris and steeped in the lessons of French and Italian Renaissance art, Saint-Gaudens became the leading American sculptor of his day, receiving commissions for more than one hundred sculpted portraits, numerous public monuments, and coins. The high visibility of his work, along with his habit of creating less expensive versions of his sculptures for sale, helped make fine sculpture accessible to a wide audience. The 9 ¾” round plaster relief of Victory is painted to look like bronze and beautifully mounted in a gilded frame specially designed for this piece. It depicts a female head in profile with the inscription NIKHEIPHNH, translated as “VICTORY-PEACE.” The relief of Victory relates directly to the sculptor’s last public work, the Sherman Monument, unveiled on May 30, 1903, at the entrance to Central Park in New York City. The pedestal and setting of the monument
Plaster relief of Victory by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, gift of Rita and Peter Heydon of Ann Arbor, Michigan. were designed by architect Charles McKim, with whom Saint-Gaudens frequently collaborated. General William Tecumseh Sherman (1820-1891) was one of the most renowned Civil War generals. He retired from military service in 1883 and moved to New York where Saint-Gaudens modeled his bust from life in 1888. The sculptor began work on the Sherman Monument in 1892 and exhibited a full-scale model at the 1900 Éxposition Universelle in Paris. The large, gilded bronze statues on the monument depict General Sherman on horseback, led by a winged figure representing Victory. The Sherman Monument is characteristic of SaintGaudens’ public works which have been praised for their quiet dignity and inherent strength of character.
A photograph of the Sherman Monument taken shortly after completion by the Detroit Publishing Co. Library of Congress.
After the monument was unveiled, the sculptor began a series of works depicting the Victory figure for sale. Several of these works were featured in the Flagler Museum’s 2007 exhibition Augustus Saint-Gaudens: American Sculptor of the Gilded Age. These included a gilded reduction of the Victory statue, a head of Victory and a bronze version of the relief. The relief of Victory given to the Museum was owned by H. Christina Meade, a student of Saint-Gaudens, and descended through her family.
Mary Lily Kenan Portrait Restoration
The Mary Lily Kenan Flagler portrait was painted by American artist Mariette Benedict Cotton and is currently exhibited in Whitehall’s Music Room. In the Museum’s 2008 Painting Survey, this 109-year old portrait was described as being in poor condition and greatly in need of treatment due to physical and chemical damage.
gave her when he proposed marriage. At the time, cultured pearls had not been developed and natural pearls were so valuable that the strand shown in the portrait was worth more than a comparable strand of diamonds. In pro-rated dollars, it is the most expensive piece of jewelry ever sold by Tiffany.
Portraitist Mariette Benedict Cotton (1868-1947), was a pupil of William Merritt Chase and the subject of some of his paintings. Cotton participated in the Salons de la Nationale de Beaux-Arts and Artistes Français until 1931. Her numerous portraits included some of the most beautiful women and most distinguished men of the Gilded Age including Mary Lily Kenan Flagler, Auguste Rodin, King Edward VII, Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother), French President Alexandre Millerand, and the Duc de Montmorency. Mr. Flagler commissioned the artist to do a portrait of his wife in 1903. In the painting, Mrs. Flagler is shown wearing the extraordinary necklace of perfectly matched pearls from Tiffany & Co. that Mr. Flagler
The life of Mary Lily Kenan Flagler is an extremely important topic for the Flagler Museum. Mr. Flagler built Whitehall in 1901 as a wedding gift for Mrs. Flagler and she was listed as the mansion’s owner on the deed when Whitehall was completed in 1902. Mrs. Flagler, who was a member of the prominent Kenan family of North Carolina, is widely acknowledged as having begun the tradition of “season” – a period each winter when Palm Beach became the center of social activity for the wealthy of America’s Gilded Age, including the Rockefellers and the Vanderbilts. She was known for her gracious entertaining at Whitehall, including the Bal Poudré, described in the 1903 press as “one of the most sumptuous social affairs ever attempted south of Washington.”
Beyond their roles in Palm Beach Society, the Flaglers took seriously the responsibility of Gilded Age leaders to promote philanthropy and the arts. Mr. Flagler donated thousands of acres of land throughout Florida for schools, churches, courthouses, fire departments, parks, and clubs. Mrs. Flagler’s philanthropic contributions were a part of her family’s heritage – her great-greatgrandfather donated the land to build the University of North Carolina in the 1790s and was on the University’s first Board of Trustees. Prior to her death in 1917, Mrs. Flagler provided for an endowment gift of $2.3M to establish the first Kenan Professorships at UNC. At the time, this was the largest gift ever made to an American public university. In 2009, Endowment Grants from the Kenan Foundation for Distinguished Professorships had grown to support nearly 60 major colleges and universities ranging from Agnes Scott College to MIT to Yale. The Flaglers also took a keen interest in promoting the arts. Mrs. Flagler was an accomplished singer and musician and Whitehall contained several Steinway pianos. She regularly hosted a group of women known as the Fortnightly Club, which met to listen to musical programs and lectures on cultural and literary subjects in Whitehall’s Music Room, where her portrait is currently exhibited.
To complete this project, the Museum contracted with Stephanie Conforti, an experienced and highly trained Art Conservator who has treated two previous paintings for the Museum. One of these, a painting of three children by an unidentified artist, was cleaned, framed, and unveiled to the public for the first time in the Museum’s 2009 exhibit, A Mother’s Pearls: Children in American Paintings.
Carrère and Hastings Gilded Age Architects
Hotel Ponce de Leon, black and white photograph, published in The American Architect and Building News, June 13, 1896 The Flagler Museum has acquired more than 100 prints and photographs depicting buildings designed by the firm of Carrère and Hastings, which were published in the journal The American Architect and Building News between 1888 and 1912. This collection of elevations, plans, sections, renderings, and historical photographs represents some of the most significant structures built during America’s Gilded Age by this important architectural firm. The American Architect and Building News, an influential American architectural journal, was edited and published by architects during the Gilded Age. First published in 1876 as an eight-page weekly with several illustrations, it grew to become an important resource in the development of the architectural profession in the United States and was the first architectural periodical to reproduce photographs. In addition to numerous building designs, The American Architect and Building
News included news and articles focused on architectural education and professionalism. After 1909, the journal changed its name to The American Architect, and in 1921 it became The American Architect and The Architectural Review to reflect the periodical it absorbed. The journal continued publication until 1938, when it merged with Architectural Record. John Carrère and Thomas Hastings were trained at the prestigious École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris and initially worked for the firm of McKim, Mead, and White. Henry Flagler provided the fledgling partnership their first big break when he commissioned them to design the Hotel Ponce de Leon. Their firm was in business from 1885 to 1925, during which time they captured international attention with iconic public structures such as the New York Public Library and the Manhattan Bridge, as well as elegant private homes for entrepreneurs and business leaders. Their
popular Beaux-Arts classicism is evident in their designs for Henry Flagler’s Whitehall (now the Flagler Museum) and the Memorial Presbyterian Church in St. Augustine. Henry Flagler’s patronage of Carrère and Hastings makes this new collection an important addition to the Flagler Museum’s Archives. Henry Flagler became Carrère and Hastings’ first important patron with his commissions for the Hotel Ponce de Leon and Hotel Alcazar in St. Augustine, which were completed in 1888 and 1889. Because of his friendship with Thomas Hastings’ father, Dr. Thomas Hastings, pastor of West Presbyterian Church in New York City, Flagler chose Perspective Sketch of Hall, House of Mr. William Rockefeller, color rendering, to give the young architects published in The American Architect and Building News, August 4, 1888. these prestigious commissions their decision to use coquina aggregate in the concrete instead of selecting a more established architect such brought praise for both technical innovation and as Henry H. Richardson or Richard Morris Hunt. The appropriateness for the locale, and helped launch them architects’ Spanish-influenced design for the hotel and on their stellar careers. Henry Flagler’s association with Standard Oil brought several early commissions to the firm of Carrère and Hastings, such as an interior renovation of Rockwood Hall, William Rockefeller’s home in Tarrytown, New York. A delicate color rendering of Rockwood’s central hall, showing the proposed alterations, was included in the August 4, 1888, issue of The American Architect and Building News.
The Walter Baker and Company’s Cocoa and Chocolate Pavilion at the World’s Columbia Exposition, color rendering, published in The American Architect and Building News, December 3, 1892.
The 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago, celebrating the 400th anniversary of Columbus’ voyage to America, provided a grand-scale opportunity for this country’s most
prominent architects to display their mastery of the Beaux-Arts tradition. The Fair marked the first foray into exhibition design for the young firm of Carrère and Hastings. Their Cocoa and Chocolate Pavilion for Walter Baker and Company was a small concession building with rich Baroque detail, evocative of a French seaside resort, in which fair attendees enjoyed cups of Baker’s famous hot chocolate with views of Lake Michigan. A color rendering of the Pavilion, published in the December 3, 1892, issue of The American Architect and Building News, captures the playfulness of the design. The duo’s most famous building is, arguably, the New York Public Library. Winning the 1897 design competition provided Carrère and Hastings not only the opportunity to design one of New York City’s most important public buildings, but also consideration for other library projects throughout the city’s five boroughs. A color detail of the New York Public Library was published in the May 25, 1901, issue of The American Architect and Building News. The attention provided by the project propelled the firm to other significant national commissions such as the Cannon House and Russell Senate Office Buildings in Washington, D. C. Throughout their partnership, Carrère and Hastings designed various commercial structures, including the 1920s redesign of the Standard Oil Building at 26 Broadway in Manhattan. Their twenty-story U. S. Rubber Company Building, located at 58th Street and Broadway, was the first
Fifth Avenue Entrances: New York Public Library, New York, NY, color detail of the east facade, published in The American Architect and Building News, May 25, 1901.
Whitehall: House of H. M. Flagler, Esq., Palm Beach, Florida, color rendering of south elevation, published in The American Architect and Building News, May 4, 1901.
tall structure constructed north of Times Square. This notable building, visible for blocks up and down Broadway, is still an important structure in the Columbus Circle area today. The elegant color rendering published in the July 10, 1912, issue of The American Architect depicts the liveliness of street activity around the building. One of the most important prints in the collection is an early rendering of the south elevation of Whitehall, published in the May 4, 1901, issue of The American Architect and Building News. The published elevation differs from what was actually built: the western wing with Mr. Flagler’s office is missing, the South Porch is at ground level, the window configurations are different, and the roof lines and gable show a more Spanish influence. This last detail may have caused Mr. Flagler to write to the partners: “Gentlemen This afternoon I have noticed, for the first time, the elevation (as shown on plan #12) of the gables of my house here. I don’t like them. I much prefer something more on the Colonial order and less of the Spanish. I wish you would send me a sketch modifying the present idea.” The partnership of Carrère and Hastings spanned 26 years, and during that time they designed more than 600 buildings. Their partnership was brought to an abrupt halt on February 12, 1912, when the cab that John Carrère was riding in collided with a street car in New York. Carrère was comatose until his death a few weeks later. Thomas Hastings retained Carrere’s name for the firm and continued to design and build notable structures, but never took on another partner.
United States Rubber Building, New York City, color rendering, published in The American Architect, July 10, 1912.
contributors, sponsors, and grantors
new and renewing Members
March 9 - May 9, 2012
March 9 - May 9, 2012
$10,000 and above Mr. Thomas S. Kenan, III
Corporate Membership Executive - $3,000
$5,000 and above Institute for Museum & Library Services Conservation Project Support Institute for Museum & Library Services Museums for America Ms. Paige Rense Noland Mr. Jack C. Taylor
$2,500 and above Caterpillar Foundation Mr. Stefan B. Richter
Rosewood Management Corporation
Individual Membership Flagler Associate - $5,000 Mr. & Mrs. Robert Brown Mr. & Mrs. Harry Hackett Mr. Robert P. Leidy Dr. Alan Litwin & Miss Anita Ankola Mr. & Mrs. Ellis J. Parker Mr. & Mrs. Charles G. Ward, III
Florida Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs
Patron - $1,000 $1,000 and above The Ashton Foundation Mr. & Mrs. Thomas S. Ferguson Mrs. George E. Ford
$500 and above Mr. & Mrs. Leo A. Vecellio, Jr.
Mr. & Mrs. Boykin Curry Mrs. George E. Ford Mr. & Mrs. Albert Hallac Mr. & Mrs. Leo A. Vecellio, Jr.
Sponsor - $500 Mr. & Mrs. Stephen Anbinder Mr. & Mrs. Rand V. Araskog Mr. James W. Reidy
$200 and above Mr. & Mrs. James M. Clark
Ms. Selma Terner Slater Mr. Samuel J. Wornom, III
Sustaining - $225 Mr. G. Clifford Abromats & Ms. Janice Worobec Ms. E. Ann Cadaret Mrs. Carol O. Collins Mr. Logan D. Delany, Jr.
new and renewing Members March 9, 2012 - May 9, 2012 (Continued)
Sustaining - $225 (continued) Ms. Marie DuPont Mr. & Mrs. Barry Hoyt Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Idy Dr. & Mrs. Jorge L. Inga Ms. Michelle M. Ivey Mr. & Mrs. C. Morgan Jackson Mr. & Mrs. Eric M. Javits Mr. & Mrs. William Lane Mr. Robert Alan Lewis Mr. Denis Loring & Ms. Donna Levin Mr. & Mrs. Ronald N. Napoli
Mr. & Mrs. David A. Mushegian Mr. Bill Pearl & Dr. Joann Hendelman-Pearl Mr. Vladimir Rankovic Mrs. Marguerite M. Rosner Mr. & Mrs. Martin J. Schwalberg Mr. & Mrs. Phillip Sexton Ms. Fannie M. Shore & Mr. Robert Shore Ms. France J. Stevens Mr. George Voyatzis Mr. & Mrs. William L. Walde Ms. Darcy C. Weber Mr. & Mrs. Arthur L. Williams, Jr.
Mr. H. Rick Prudden, Jr. Mr. & Mrs. Rob Reveley Mr. Allan J. Riley Mr. & Mrs. David H. Scaff Mr. & Mrs. Robert B. Shea Mr. & Mrs. S. Andrew Siegelstein Mr. & Mrs. Leon Smith Mr. & Mrs. Robert G. Walker, Jr. Mr. & Mrs. Irwin Wallshein Mr. Alexander Watts & Ms. Val Zajac Ms. Frances A. Wurster Marquesa de San Damian
Individual - $75 Ms. Janis Barrett Ms. Barbara J. Bennett Mr. Tim Radigan Brophy Ms. Diane Burick Mrs. Etonella Christlieb Ms. Rose Cohen Mrs. Louise G. Collins Ms. Mimi Coon Mrs. Patricia O’Dea Currie Ms. Helen D’Avolio Ms. Joyce P. Duke Ms. Judith L. Flynn
Family - $125
Mr. Rodger S. Fowler
Mr. & Mrs. Harris J. Ashton
Ms. Renate Franco
Mr. & Mrs. Paul W. Boltz
Ms. ZeeJay Greenspan
Mr. & Mrs. Lyle Brundage
Mrs. Annemarie Steiner Hantos
Mr. Steven Burghart
Mr. Jacques Lecomte
The Honorable Gail L. Coniglio & Mr. Frank S. Coniglio
Mrs. Angela M. Miller
Mr. & Mrs. Erik Dana
Mr. John E. Miller
Mr. & Mrs. Robert Ehrlich
Ms. Ruth Miller
Mr. & Mrs. Victor Ellins
Ms. Regina M. Mullen
Miss Anna Glanfield & Mr. Michael Hennessy
Ms. Arva Moore Parks
Miss Ryann S. Hackett & Mr. William Goldsmith
Mr. Wallace Rogers
Mr. & Mrs. Roger J. Hochstin
Mr. Anthony Peter Senecal
Mr. & Mrs. Frank R. Holecek
Ms. Nancy Taub
Mr. & Mrs. Eric L. Johnson
Ms. Louise K. Terry
Mr. Ingo K. Kozak
Ms. Linda Treutel-Gutierrez
Mr. & Mrs. John Lerner
Baronin Louise M. Von Gnadenegg-Hoess
Mr. & Mrs. Stephen Lord
Ms. Patricia Allen Weiss
Mr. & Mrs. Richard E. McConnell
Hundreds Attend Annual Easter Egg Hunt & Egg Roll The Easter Bunny made an early stop at the Flagler Museum on Saturday, April 7th to welcome nearly 700 people to the annual Easter Egg Hunt and Egg Roll. After meeting the Easter Bunny, children created their own Easter themed art. Children were delighted by roaming balloon artists and face painters. At 10 a.m. youngsters age four and under hunted eggs with their families on the Southeast Lawn. Afterward, older
children raced for eggs on the South Lawn. Children searched for about 5,000 eggs on the Museum grounds. Following a tradition begun by President Rutherford B. Hayes, who welcomed children to the first White House Easter Egg Roll in 1878, the Museum organized an Egg Roll for children in different age groups. Special Easter gift baskets were awarded to Egg Roll winners as well as children who found the “golden egg” during the egg hunts. The annual Easter Egg Hunt and Egg Roll has become a family tradition, so mark your calendars for the 2013 Egg Hunt next April!
Mother’s Day Tea at the Cafe des Beaux-Arts
The Museum’s Café des Beaux-Arts welcomed hundreds of people for this year’s Mother’s Day Tea. Families flocked to the Café over Mother’s Day weekend to experience the Gilded Age style lunch of tea sandwiches, scones, sweets, and the Museum’s Whitehall Special Blend™ tea. The Gilded Age grandeur was accentuated by the Flagler
Museum’s Whitehall Collection™ china. Mothers also received a corsage, keepsake photo of their family, and a $10 gift card to the Museum Store. The annual Mother’s Day Tea is a unique and gracious way for children of all ages to honor their mothers.
The Museum Store
Locket Necklace, Rhodochrosite, enamel, 24K gold over Sterling Silver $175 / $157.50 (Members)
‘Safety Always’ Cufflinks; Brass, enamel $16.95/15.26 (Members) ‘Peacock Feather’ Framed Arts & Craft Tiles, by Motawi, Ann Arbor, MI $325 / 292.50 (Members)
Metalace Collection: Handcrafted Metalware, Replicated Antique Lace Designs Charger-$175/$157.50, Bowl-$95/$85.50, Coasters-$29/$26.1 (Discounted Member Prices)
Children’s Tea Set- ‘Alice in Wonderland’-
Rhodoscrosite and Serpentine filigree bracelet,
Reutter’s Porcelain, Made in Germany
24k gold over sterling silver
$85.00 / $76.50 (Members)
h e n r y
m o r r i s o n
FLAGLER MUSEUM palm beach, florida
Nonprofit Organization U.S. Postage
West Palm Beach, FL Permit No. 1831
A National Historic Landmark One Whitehall Way Palm Beach, Florida 33480 www.flaglermuseum.us
Sponsored in part by the State of Florida, Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs and the Florida Council on Arts and Culture.
Upcoming Schedule of Events Founder’s Day June 5, 2012 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Free Admission On June 5th each year the Flagler Museum celebrates its anniversary by opening free of charge in honor of the Museum’s founder, and Henry Flagler’s granddaughter, Jean Flagler Matthews. Visitors may take a self-guided tour of Whitehall, view the permanent collection of art and objects related to the Gilded Age, and climb aboard Henry Flagler’s Railcar No. 91. Sponsored by The Palm Beach Post.
Summer Camp - Crime Investigation During the Gilded Age June 11 - 15, 2012 $200 for Members $225 for non-members Join us for an exciting week of Summer Camp at the Flagler Museum! Campers will explore the forensic and investigative techniques used to solve some of the most infamous crimes of the Gilded Age (1865-1929). Interactive exercises will include collecting evidence, fingerprint analysis, blood-typing, footprint analysis, hair and fiber examination, and recording eyewitness accounts. Sponsored by Palm Beach Daily News.
Independence Day July 4, 2012 8:00 p.m. By invitation only Flagler Museum Members at the Sustaining level and above are invited to enjoy the best view of the West Palm Beach fireworks from the Flagler Kenan Pavilion. The celebration includes a reading of the Declaration of Independence, live music, and refreshments.
Grandparents’ Day September 9, 2012 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Free with Museum Admission The Museum’s founder, Jean Flagler Matthews, was the granddaughter of Henry Flagler. She preserved Whitehall and its collections to honor her grandfather. Share your own family history by celebrating Grandparents’ Day at the Flagler Museum. Tour Whitehall with a Tour and Activity Guide for Kids and then visit the Flagler Kenan Pavilion to enjoy the family activities.
For more information, please call the Flagler Museum at (561) 655-2833 • www.flaglermuseum.us
Vol. 19, No. 3