Trail of History A Self Guided Tour
Take a journey through the trail of Franklin County’s military history..... The Franklin County Veterans Memorial Park and Military Trail is a vision ten years in the making. So many Americans are touched by military history, be it through the service of a parent, the loss of a loved one, or the recognition of valor. Military history is the blueprint of America’s history, and it is certainly true in Franklin County. From the pre-Revolutionary War to the recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, Franklin County has many stories of its military men and women’s contributions to the nation. These important stories are the fiber of American character. They are an essential part of American heritage, and they pay tribute to the people who secured and protected America. Franklin County honors veterans every day of the year with the Franklin County Military Trail of History.
An interpretive trail was added to the Franklin County Veterans and 9/11 Memorial Park
Inside, learn about help for returning heroes and how they are giving back to the local community...
2 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Franklin County Veterans and 9/11 Memorial Park Adjacent to 2171 Carbaugh Avenue, Chambersburg, Pa 17201 In October 2011, ground was broken for the Franklin County Veterans and 9/11 Memorial Park. On May 19, 2012 (Armed Forces Day), the county memorial was dedicated by the First Counselor to the Apostolic Nuncio, the Vatican’s Ambassador to the United States, just as was done by the Apostolic Nuncio for the military Chapel in 1945. The United Churches of the Chambersburg Area developed the memorial park as a place for reflection and remembrance, to memorialize all those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001, and to pay tribute to Franklin County Veterans and First Responders. The 2,000 pound sculpture, designed by local artist Michael Fisher and fabricated by Sunset Metal Works, points to the heavens. The memorial itself is made from three steel beams salvaged from the World Trade Center. A time capsule in the ground at this site contains dust from Ground Zero. Also contained in the time capsule are descriptive writings and maps from the 9/11 attacks, brochures and photographs of this project. The vision of the Franklin County Veteran’s Memorial for the veterans of all wars was originally developed by the late Senator Pennsylvania Terry Punt.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│ GREAT MOMENTS │ 3
Letterkenny Chapel 2171 Carbaugh Avenue, Chambersburg, Pa 17201 Seventy years after the end of World War II, Franklin County’s Historic Letterkenny Chapel and Franklin County Veterans and 9/11 Memorial Park remembered the contributions of the Italian Prisoners of War stationed at Letterkenny Depot. These men were captured as prisoners of war and then swore allegiance to America. Letterkenny Depot housed 1250 of these men in a service unit, later formed as the 321st Quartermaster Battalion. They spent seventeen months at Letterkenny Depot until returning to Italy in October 1945 after an international agreement was reached. Before America entered World War II, the U.S. military sought locations for ordinance depots to maintain, store, and issue weapons, ammunition, combat vehicles, equipment, and other military-needed materials. Letterkenny Township in Franklin County PA was selected because of its excellent location along the Atlantic seaboard and its closeness to Washington DC. The depot required thousands of acres of farmland and displaced about 1000 of Franklin County’s 70,000 residents. Any discontentment about the acquisition ceased after the December 7, 1941 strike on Pearl Harbor. Franklin County residents wholeheartedly supported the depot. Less than a year later, the depot was an active part of America’s participation in the Ally effort. By September 1943, Italy signed an armistice with the Allies, and Italian POWs agreed to sign an allegiance to the United States, In May 1944, 1250 repatriated Italian soldiers came to Letterkenny Depot. They formed the 321st Quartermaster Battalion, helping to order, stock, and ship military supplies and equipment to support the Ally efforts in the Pacific and Europe.
4 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
These men missed their homes and loved ones. It was a difficult time. They turned to their faith to guide them, seeking out the counsel of clergy, who wisely suggested channeling the loneliness into beneficial tasks. Out of a melancholy and somber time when war encircled the world and thousands of miles separated the Italian service men from their families, a good and lasting accomplishment emerged. The repatriated soldiers helped to build the depot and a chapel. By using the materials from the farmhouses, barns, and other structures, the men of the ISU incorporated the elements of their homeland into the chapel and created a lasting artifact of a significant time in American and world history. In 1945, Letterkenny Chapel was dedicated by the Pope’s Ambassador to the United States to commemorate peace and reconciliation between Italy and the United States. For more than 35 years, it served as a military chapel for Letterkenny Army Depot. Today, the historic chapel serves as an ecumenical, interfaith and multicultural meeting place of fellowship and worship. The Letterkenny Chapel is a prime representation of Italianate architecture with the characteristic square tower, quoined brickwork, and curved arches above the windows and doors. Today, it is maintained by the United Churches of Chambersburg and is adjoined by the Franklin County Veterans and 9/11 Memorial Park. The chapel and park are the launching point of the Franklin County Military Trail of History. Each year, four services are held at Letterkenny Chapel— Armed Forces and POW/MIA Day Service in May, the 9/11 Remembrance Service in September, Veterans Day Service in November, and Christmas Eve Service in December.
NEXT SITE: ROCKY SPRING PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH & GRAVEYARD Head north on Overcash Avenue and turn left unto Coffey Avenue and continue onto Letterkenny Road. Turn left onto Funk Road and then turn left onto Rocky Spring Road.
Letterkenny Army Depot 2171 Carbaugh Avenue, Chambersburg, Pa 17201
The directive to establish an ordinance depot in Franklin County was issued by Secretary of War, Henry L. Stinson on December 18, 1941. This allowed the federal government to acquire 21,000 acres of land in Letterkenny Township for use as ammunition storage. Construction crews built 798 underground igloos, 17 warehouses and 12 above- ground magazines on the property that became known as the Letterkenny Ordinance Depot. The first shipment of ammunition arrived by railroad on September 23, 1942. Throughout the war years, more than three million tons of supplies were moved to the facility. The depot became one of the largest depots of its kind. With so many men called into the service of their country, women, and 1,200 Italian prisoners of war became the primary workforce. Letterkenny was called the Springboard of the invasion of 1944. In the 1950s the depot mission became a peaceful one. Enormous amounts of vehicles and unused ammunition were returned to Letterkenny. By the time of the Korean War, the workforce reached over 6,500. By July 1, 1954, the depot officially was named a permanent military installation. In 1962, the depot was renamed the Letterkenny Army Depot. When the Vietnam War began, work increased as the workers of the depot supported our troops. During the 1970s and 1980s the depot evolved with new missions including being the headquarters of the U.S. Army Depot System Command and became the place for the army to store war reserve stock. Letterkenny became the single largest repair center for the HAWK system. Projects involving the Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles were assigned to the depot. In the 1990s, Letterkenny became the center for all Tactical Missile Systems for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. In 2001 the depot was recognized as the Center for Industrial and Technical Excellence for Air Defense and Tactical Missile Ground Support Equipment and also for the Mobile Electric Power Generation Equipment. The depot received eight Shingo Prize awards starting in 2005 for excellent work in various systems. The depot celebrated its 70th anniversary in 2012. It is the largest employer of Franklin County with 3,600 employees and pours over a quarter of a billion dollars into the local economy annually.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 5
Dr. Paul Orange & his staff would like to thank all veterans past and present for their service to our country.
“The deeds of our past Patriots formed this great nation. We must preserve and not destroy our history for all generations of Americans.” -Bailey Noelle Orange
Dr. Paul Orange, MD 4225 Lincoln Way East | Fayetteville, PA 17222 (717) 352-3616 | Fax: (717) 352-9013
Seeking to purchase military items, Civil War, and antiques
Veterans of the Vietnam War Richard L. Hershey Post 41 1571 S. Main Street | Chambersburg, PA 17201 717-830-4007 Open Daily Noon-10PM The Veterans of the Vietnam War, Inc. (VVnw) & The Veterans Coalition, founded in 1980, welcomes members from all branches of service, Navy, Marines, Army, Air Forces or Coast Guard, from all eras, wars and conflicts and its services are available to all veterans and active military. Social memberships are also available.
Post 41 has been active for over 30 years, since it was chartered as the first Veterans of the Vietnam War post in PA on Veterans Day in 1986. Thirty-two Franklin County residents were killed in the Vietnam War and are remembered with a monument on Memorial Square in Chambersburg that the Charter Members of Post 41 were responsible for. Banquet facilities are also available for rent. For more information, please call 717-830-4007 option 3. 6 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Rocky Spring Presbyterian Church & Graveyard 1963 Rocky Spring Road Chambersburg, Pa 17201 This church may have been one of the most patriotic congregations in the valley. At the outset of the American Revolution, church pastor Rev. John Craighead delivered an inspirational sermon, and all but one or two of the adult men in the congregation marched off to join the Revolutionary War. According to the church’s history, their congregation produced one general, four colonels, twelve captains, and a like number of officers in the Continental Army. Craighead is buried in the church cemetery as is General Samuel Culbertson, a veteran of the Revolutionary War. The congregation was established in 1738 and was made up mostly of Scots-Irish immigrants. The church building was constructed in the summer of 1794.
NEXT SITE: CEDAR GROVE CEMETERY
Head south toward Letterkenny Road. Turn right on Letterkenny Road. Slight left on Edenville Road. Slight right unto North Franklin Street. Cemetery is on the left.
FAST FACT: Molly Cochran Corbin, the first woman to receive a military pension and the only Revolutionary soldier to be buried at West Point with honors, was born in Franklin County. She accompanied her husband to the Revolutionary War. When he was fatally wounded at the Battle of Fort Washington, she took over firing his cannon. Her birthplace is on Letterkenny Road West, opposite the site of the Cumberland Valley Animal Shelter.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 7
Cedar Grove Cemetery 130 N. Franklin Street, Chambersburg, Pa 17201 Cedar Grove Cemetery came into existence in 1855. The 22-acre-cemetery falls within the boundaries of the Borough of Chambersburg and has specific notable military connections as well as being the final resting place of many of our nation’s veterans. Residents of Chambersburg during the July 30, 1864 Confederate burning of Chambersburg fled to Cedar Grove Cemetery as Confederates torched their homes and waited until the raiders retreated to assess their losses. Following the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862, nearly 21,000 Americans were wounded or died. Hospitals were set-up in Sharpsburg and neighboring communities. Wounded were transported to Chambersburg by rail, and three makeshift hospitals were set up in the town. Just past the main gate of Cedar Grove Cemetery are two rows of the graves of the men who did not survive. More than half of these soldiers are unknown. Their graves simply say U.S. Soldier and serve as a reminder that Antietam remains the battle claiming the most American lives in any one-day period. In Chambersburg, the 8 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Grand Army of the Republic Post 309 was named after Peter Housum, who was a Chambersburg resident, killed in action on December 31, 1862 during the Battle of Stones River. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in the 77th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. At home, prior to the war, Housum was the partner of Theodore B. Wood in a foundry business named Housum & Wood, which later became T.B. Wood’s Inc. Peter Housum is buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery. Another veteran of the Civil War is buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery with her husband. She is Frances “Dolly” Harris Lesher. In mid-June 1863, the invasion of Pennsylvania began, and Confederates were
Above: A reenactor portraying Frances “Dolly” Harris Lesher
moving north through Greencastle. As troops passed by seventeen-year old Dolly’s home on Carlisle Street, she ran into the streets and proudly waved the American flag as she denounced the Confederate soldiers as “traitors to their country, cut throats, and plunderers.” General George Pickett, who led the troops, tipped his hat and saluted Dolly. The band serenaded her with Dixie as it passed. What could have been a dangerous encounter was quelled by General Pickett’s quick thinking. In 1887 during the Gettysburg Reunion, the Harrisburg Telegraph reported the words of Col. Willian Aylett, a member of General Pickett’s troops that witnessed Dolly’s display. He said, “Why the bravest woman I ever saw was a Pennsylvania girl who defied Pickett’s whole division as we marched through the little town called Greencastle. She had a United States flag as an apron which she defiantly waved up and down as our columns passed by her and dared us to take it from her.”
A portrait of Frances “Dolly” Harris Lesher
When Dolly passed away in 1906, she was buried with military honors beside her husband John Lesher, also a veteran. The ceremony was led by the officers of Col. Peter B. Housum Post of the Grand Army of the Republic.
NEXT SITE: FOUNDING FAMILY PARK
Drive on N Franklin Street toward King Street. Turn left unto West King Street (1st cross street). Turn right onto Spring Street into Chambers Fort Park.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 9
We are looking for a FEW GOOD MARINES! If you are an Honorably Discharged Marine, FMF Corpsman or Navy Chaplain who served with the Marines, stop by our home and see what we and the Marine Corps League have to offer!
450 GRANT ST.
“Once A Marine, Always a Marine” SEMPER FI GOD BLESS AMERICA
A good neighbor A good has your neighbor back. has your back.
Life’s a combination of good Kim Stouffer Ins Agency Inc days and bad. I have your Kim Stouffer, Agent 1130 Kennebec Drive back for both. And who has Life’s a combination of good email@example.com Kim Stouffer Ins Agency Inc my back? The company more Bus: 717-267-0406 days and bad. I have your Kim Stouffer, Agent 1130 Kennebec Drive peopleback havefortrusted for who has both. And firstname.lastname@example.org 90 years. CALLThe ME company TODAY. more my back? Bus: 717-267-0406 people have trusted for 90 years. CALL ME TODAY.
10 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Founding Family Park/Chamber’s Fort Along West King Street Chambersburg, Pa 17201 Franklin County was the colonial frontier of America, and the people on the frontier lived with the impacts of the French & Indian War. Following the defeat of British General Braddock in 1755, the French and their Indian allies struck the Pennsylvania frontier. Benjamin Chambers, a ScotsIrish immigrant, had been granted a Blunston License by William Penn. He developed a 400 acre plantation with a gristmill that became the original settlement of Chambersburg, and the first settlement in Franklin County. To protect his home and mills, he erected a stockade with a lead roof to protect the structure from flaming arrows. The fort was adjoined by water on three sides, from Falling Springs and Conococheague Creek, aiding its defense and habitability. A statue on the site called
(This and the next four sites are walking sites.)
“The Homecoming”, depicts the founder of Chambersburg--Benjamin Chamber--his son James, and his grandson Benjamin returning in 1781 from six years of serving in the Continental Army. James Chambers led Chambers Rifles of Thompson’s Rifle Battalion. Benjamin, his son marched with his father to wage war at age eleven. The sculpture was made by Wayne Hyde of Bedford, Pennsylvania. The Fort Chambers Park was dedicated on October 18, 2008. Funding for the Borough of Chambersburg’s park was provided by public and private partnership in cooperation with federal funds. Also of note in Founding Family Park is the memorial to WW II veterans killed in action as well as the Korean War Memorial. Both are located behind “The Homecoming” statue.
NEXT SITE: THOMPSON’S RIFLE BATTALION
Walk toward King Street to the Fort Chambers historic marker.
The Homecoming depicts town founder Benjamin Chambers welcoming son James and grandson Benjamin home after the Revolutionary War. The statue is in the center of the Founding Family Park.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 11
Thompson’s Rifle Battalion Founding Family Park, off N. Main Street, Chambersburg, Pa. 17021 Marker is across the foot bridge, which spans Falling Spring.
This Pennsylvania historic marker identifies the first company of Franklin County from the Revolutionary War. The Colony of Pennsylvania on June 22, 1775 authorized the raising of riflemen companies from Pennsylvania. This regiment, including a company from Cumberland County (now Franklin County), marched to Massachusetts and was a group of sharpshooters who participated in the Siege of Boston. The regiment was raised by Colonel William Thompson. The local company, Company A, was led by Captain James Chambers of Chambersburg. His company included one captain, three lieutenants, four sergeants, four corporals, a drummer or trumpeter, and sixty-eight privates. It is mentioned in the Military Journal of the Revolution that “these men are remarkable for the accuracy of their aim; striking a mark with great certainty at two hundred yards distance.” On March 11, 1776, these men were re-enlisted into the Continental Army. On July 1, 1776 they were offi-
cially designated as the First Pennsylvania Regiment of the Continental Line. They also saw action at the Battle of Long Island in August 27, 1776. Colonel Thompson was Irish. His family immigrated to Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Thompson was captured on June 8, 1776 at a battle at Trios-Riviéres in Quebec and remained a prisoner of war for four years. James Chambers led the regiment to action at the Battle of Brandywine on September 11, 1777. Chambers commanded the regiment for the remainder of the war. He eventually obtained the rank of Brigadier General. The First Pennsylvania Regiment mustered out of service on November 3, 1783. NEXT SITE: GREEN ASH TREE MEMORIAL Continue walking toward King Street. Ash Tree Memorial on right.
12 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Green Ash Tree Memorial Adjacent to Chamber’s Fort Marker, Chambersburg, Pa 17201
The Green Ash Tree Memorial is a living tribute to the sixteen million uniformed soldiers of World War II. Each Green Ash is a direct descendant of the Green Ash Tree growing at the birthplace of U. S. President Dwight David Eisenhower in Dennison, Texas. The project is known as “Operation Silent Witness.”
NEXT SITE: MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN & CIVIL WAR SOLDIER From Founding Family Park, walk onto Main Street toward Memorial Square. At the center of Memorial Square is Memorial Fountain.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 13
Memorial Fountain & Bronze Civil War Soldier Crossroads of Routes 11 & 30 (Memorial Square), Chambersburg, Pa 17201
Memorial Fountain honors the town’s role in Civil War history. The fountain was dedicated on July 17, 1878 to honor more than 5,000 men of Franklin County who served in the Civil War. Included in the fountain memorial is a bronze Union soldier, who guards against future invasions. A memorial marker at the foot of the soldier describes the burning of Chambersburg on July 30, 1864. Confederate soldiers, part of General Jubal Early’s command and led by General John McCausland, demanded
a ransom of $100,000 in gold or $500,000 in Yankee dollars. When town officials were unable to raise the money, the rebels burned 550 buildings in the town. The Ladies and Soldiers Monumental Association, raised money to build the fountain and soldier statue. The statue became a memorial that commemorated a victory on the battlefield while at the same time being placed along the route General Robert E. Lee and his men marched toward infamy at Gettysburg.
14 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Cannons were added to the memorial in 1883 but removed in 1930. A bronze star in the street south of Memorial Fountain marks the site of the meeting between Generals Robert E. Lee and A.P. Hill. It is here they made the decision to move east toward Gettysburg and intercept the Union troops in the last days of June 1863. The Battle of Gettysburg ensued several days later. Today, Memorial Fountain honors veterans of all American conflicts.
Franklin County Vietnam Veterans Memorial Located on Courthouse Plaza. in Downtown Chambersburg, Pa 17201
Facing the courthouse, it is on the north side of the plaza in front of the Commissioner’s Complex. 3,110 men and women from Franklin County served their country in the Vietnam War.
(This concludes the walking sites.)
NEXT SITE: CHAMBERSBURG DOUGHBOY
From North Main Street, continue driving south onto South Main Street. Go one block and turn left onto Queen Street. Continue driving. The Chambersburg Doughboy will be on the left, after passing 4th Street on approach to 6th Street.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 15
American Legion Riders drive for worthy causes One of the largest rides is the National Legacy Ride which raises money for a scholarship fund for children of fallen veterans or those with a 50% disability. “It is a 5-day ride which starts in the Midwest and ends up wherever the annual National American Legion Convention is,” Ross said. “This year it ended in Reno Nevada.” The event raised over $1.2 million dollars, Ross said. In Pennsylvania, the State American Legion ride is called the 4 Corners ride and raises money for the Pennsylvania State Commanders charity, he said. This 4-day event had more than 15 riders from Legions in Franklin County.
The American Legion Riders take their love of motorcycles and continue to serve and give back through benefit rides. Tom Ross, a former Navy Submariner and Franklin County resident, is the President of the Pennsylvania American Legion Riders, which includes over 3,800 riders part of 150 American Legion Riders groups across the state of Pennsylvania. Franklin County American Legion Rider groups are Ft. Loudon, Chambersburg, and Greencastle American Legions. Members pay to ride their motorcycles on these benefit rides and then 100% of the money raised goes to the cause, Ross said. Ross said the organization is great for veterans who are looking for support or wanting to give back. “We are different from a motorcycle club,” he said. “We partner with other groups and do good for our community. We get together and work together to help raise money for important causes.” These causes include supporting veterans with PTSD diagnosis, Veterans Administration initiatives, juvenile diabetes, breast cancer, Lyme’s Disease and girl scouts.
Along with doing benefit rides, the riders provide escorts for fallen veterans and servicemen from the funeral homes to the gravesites and provide flag lines at memorials as a sign of respect as well as escorted personnel coming home. They also support the Operation God Bless America Ride, which supports the veterans of the Martinsburg, West Virginia VA Hospital. The ride can have as many as 2,800 motorcycles and 3,500 participants. It has raised as much as $70,000 in one year, Ross said. Ross said he initially got involved with the group after his daughter wanted to do a ride to help those with diabetes . The event grew and is now an annual event. “I knew that these are the guys I wanted to hang out with,” Ross said. “These are guys that get things done.” Ross asks that all veterans who have questions concerning American Legion Riders and veteran benefits to contact local veteran’s representatives. American Legion’s have veteran’s services officers who can assist as well. Members of any American Legion, Sons of the American legion or American Legion Auxiliary are eligible to join the riders if they are properly insured with a license and own a motorcycle with a 250cc minimum.
“All of the local Legions along with Legion Riders from the entire state of Pennsylvania and Nation are completing rides virtually all of the time,” Ross said. “We act as a team with riders from the different legions showing support to help other rides and events as successful as possible.”
16 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
t n more abou Want to lear Legion the American l ai Tom at Program? Em mail.com. thross1960@g
Chambersburg Doughboy East Point Memorial, Intersection of East Queen and Lincoln Way East, Chambersburg The citizens of Franklin County came together on November 12, 1923, during Armistice Day celebrations to dedicate this Spirit of the American Doughboy, one of the pressed copper sculptures by E.M. Viquesney. The memorial was erected to honor the men and women of Franklin County, who served in World War I. The memorial lists 91 names in three columns including four women who served in the nursing corps. The inscription includes the words “Greater love hath no man that this. That a man lay down his life for his friends.” It also says “They shall live forevermore our glorious dead. 1917-1919 Erected to the memory of the men and women of Franklin County who gave their lives in the Word War.” The Viquesney statue was one of about 120 “Spirit of America Doughboy” statues produced in a Spencer, Indiana factory where the sculptor lived. The artist had taken two years to sculpt the soldier with great attention to detail including a gas mask, a hand grenade, and hobnails in his boots. The seven foot statues with a six foot concrete pedestal were sold for $1,000 and are evident in thirty states. Mr. Viquesney, who died in 1946, said of the memorials “I do not urge the building of War Memorials to perpetuate WAR but to impress on American Youth the desirability of PEACE.” NEXT SITE: MT VERNON/MT LEBANON CEMETERY
The next site is on Lincoln Way West. Travel west on Route 30. Turn right onto 6th Street. Turn right onto Washington Street. Follow Washington Street to 3rd Street and turn right onto 3rd Street. Turn left onto Lincoln Way/ Route 30 and travel 2 miles.
Saving Hallowed Ground In 2017, this worldwide education and advocacy organization came to Chambersburg to preserve and restore the Doughboy statue. The organization’s goal is to protect monuments and markers commemorating veterans and patriotic citizens. An oak tree was planted in Founding Family Park in memory of veterans and family members who served during World War One. This organization also participates with local elementary, middle and high schools to help students do service-learning projects on military history, help in hands-on restoration, write reports and create profiles of service. │GREAT │ 17 Franklin County County Military Military Trail Trail of of History History│ GREAT MOMENTS MOMENTS│ 17 Franklin
Mt. Vernon/Mt. Lebanon Cemetery Rt. 30 West, opposite the Shop ‘N Save in Chambersburg, Pa 17201 Twenty six black Civil War veterans who fought as members of regiments of the United States Colored Troops (USCT) are buried in this cemetery. Amongst them is Henry Watson (29th Connecticut Colored Infantry) who is known to have arranged the meeting between Frederick Douglass and John Brown in a quarry in Chambersburg on August 19, 1859. The meeting was just prior to Brown’s raid at Harpers Ferry on October 16 that same year. Watson, a free black barber, is also known to have helped fugitive slaves escape as a conductor in the Underground Railroad.
The cemetery was recently designated as a site in the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program administered by the National Park Service. That designation provides recognition and certification as well as allowing those caring for the site to apply for matching grants to make improvements to the site. Forty five sites have been so designated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania including the John Brown/Mary Ritner Boarding House in Chambersburg and the Thaddeus Steven/ Caledonia Iron Works in Greene Township.
NEXT SITE: FORT LOUDOUN
Turn left onto Route 30 West and continue 11 miles. Turn left onto Brooklyn Road.
Henry Watson Gravesite
A service medal and recruitment poster for the United States Colored Troops (USCT) 18 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Fort Loudoun & James Smith & The Black Boys Off Route 30 West on Brooklyn Road, Fort Loudon, Pa 17224
Built as a provincial fort in 1756 by the Second Battalion of the Pennsylvania Regiment under the direction of Colonel John Armstrong, Fort Loudoun was used as a supply base for the Forbes Campaign. It was named Fort Loudoun (one of several in the American colonies) as it was named after John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun. In 1765, the garrison of the fort played a key role in a colonial revolt by James Smith and the Black Boys. This military action centered on trading weapons with the Indians and pre-dated the Revolutionary War by ten years. Called Black Boys because these white settlers of the Conococheague Valley wore blackened faces and were led by James “Black Boy Jimmy” Smith, these raiders used Indian tactics to disrupt British shipments in the valley. Following the Black Boys Rebellion, the British evacuated the fort. Historian Neil Swanson contended that the seeds of unrest of this country against the British were sown at Fort Loudoun. The replica fort that stands on the original site today was constructed in 1993.
FAST FACT: Walter S. Sellers, pharmacist, lost his life in the sinking of the Battleship Maine, February 15, 1898.
NEXT SITE: MERCERSBURG AREA VETERANS MEMORIAL
Go northeast on Brooklyn Road toward Lincoln Way West. Take 1st left onto Lincoln Way West and travel to the intersection of Lincoln Way West and Fort Loudoun Road and turn left on Fort Loudoun Road. Turn right onto Keefer Drive. Monument is on the right.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 19
Mercersburg Area Veterans Memorial 100 Keefer Drive, Mercersburg, Pa 17236
The Mercersburg Area Veterans Memorial is a life-sized bronze statue of a soldier and the granite memorial honors veterans of all wars. On each face of the base of the monument are the insignias of each branch of military service. The soldier is holding his firearm in his left hand, with his right hand posed on his helmet that rests on another firearm. The memorial was unveiled on 11 a.m. on 11/11/2013 exactly 95 years after the official ending of World War I – that occurred on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918. Members of the Henry Lackhove American Legion Post 517 conducted the memorial ceremony. A speaker at the service said the new monument would “serve as a tangible reminder of the service and sacrifice of our veterans of our community and surrounding acres.” The project was the brainchild of former post commander Dale Thatcher who also designed the memorial. The cost was $75,000, which was raised through various fundraisers and community FACT: 2,510 men and women support. Also, theFAST soldier statue cost from Franklin County $30,000. The memorial was built by served their country the Korean War. Greencastle Bronze and in Granite.
NEXT SITE: STUART’S HEADQUARTERS Turn right onto PA-416 S/PA-75 and travel 1/2 mile. Turn left onto Buchanan Trail W/N Main Street. Property is on the right.
20 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Stuart’s Headquarters/ Steiger House/Bridgeside 120 North Main Street, Mercersburg, Pa 17236
On October 10 1862, General J.E.B. Stuart used the Steiger home as a headquarters during his Pennsylvania Raid. On that day Stuart brought 1,800 mounted cavalry into Mercersburg. From this home, Stuart directed the raid of the countryside, capturing over 1,000 horses plus enough uniforms and shoes for 2,000 Confederate soldiers. His raids shocked Pennsylvanians who believed the war was being conducted south of the Mason-Dixon Line. It struck fear into rural Pennsylvanians who had only read about the war. When Stuart and his men left Mercersburg they took several hostages with them including the editor of the Mercersburg Good Intent. The newspaper man was released by the rebels when they crossed the Potomac River back into Virginia. Stuart’s success also led indirectly to Abraham Lincoln deciding to replace Union General George McClellan with General Ulysses S. Grant.
NEXT SITE: ZION UNION CEMETERY
Drive south on North Main Street to Linden Avenue. Take 1st right onto West Fairview Avenue. Bennett Avenue is immediately off Fairview Avenue.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 21
Zion Union Cemetery Bennett Avenue, just off Fairview Avenue, Mercersburg, Pa 17236 This cemetery, established in 1876, contains the graves of 36 veterans of the United States Colored Troops (USCT). It is believed that eighty eight blacks from Mercersburg enlisted in USCT regiments, with exactly half in the 54th or 55th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. The cemetery contains the remains of members of the 8th USCT, 22nd USCT, 24th USCT, 41st USCT, 45th USCT, and 127th USCT, plus the 54th and 55th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and the 2nd U.S. Colored Cavalry. The thirteen members of the 54th Massachusetts interred here are the largest group of burials from that regiment in any private cemetery. Several hundred Franklin County black residents enlisted into the Union Army during the Civil War as part of the United States Colored Troops. Three of the men were from the same Mercersburg family – Cyrus, James and William Krunkleton all served in the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry.
NEXT SITE: FAIRVIEW CEMETERY
Head east on West Fairview Avenue toward Linden Avenue. Turn left onto Fort Loudon Road and take a right onto Buchanan Trail West. It is on the right.
Harry Lackhove American Legion Post 517 Post 517 would like to honor the men and women who served our God, Country and Community and invite veterans from all branches of our Armed Forces to continue serving by joining our post.
Since our charter in 1920, the Harry Lackhove American Legion Post 517, Inc, of Mercersburg has been welcoming veterans from all branches of our Armed Forces. Our mission is to implement the goals, aspirations, dreams, peace and blessings for our country, friends and families embodied in our preamble. Our Home Association operates the social quarters which includes a lounge and restaurant facilities, plus a ballroom which is available for parties and special functions. Membership is open to veterans but we also have a Ladies Auxiliary Unit, Sons of the American Legion and Social Members. To the wonderful patriotic citizens of the Mercersburg community, join our Post and help us to continue sponsoring scholarships for our children; give aid and assistance to our local needy Veterans, and their families. Help us to continue to support financially worthy community programs and projects.
100 Keefer Drive Mercersburg, PA 17236 | 717-328-2410 www.papost517mercersburg.com 22││GREAT GREATMOMENTS MOMENTS││www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com 22
Confederate Graves at Fairview Cemetery 11089 Buchanan Trail West, Mercersburg, Pa 17236
Franklin County’s location on the Mason Dixon Line brought war to the doorsteps of the county’s residents. After J.E.B. Stuart’s Raid in October 1862, the citizens of Mercersburg took the presence of Confederate troops warily. During the Gettysburg Campaign, on July 1863, three Confederate riders were ambushed by two Union soldiers in the square of Mercersburg. One of the Confederates, Private J.W. Alban, was killed by the Union soldiers. Another escaped town. The third Confederate’s horse was killed, leaving him with no way to escape but on foot. He was soon captured by townspeople and taken to Union officials in McConnellsburg. Concerned more Confederates could be nearby
and discover Private Alban’s body, the people of Mercersburg hurriedly buried both Alban and the horse in a nearby brick kiln. Within a day’s time, the townspeople reconsider their actions and moved the soldier to a more fitting resting place in the Presbyterian Church graveyard. A day later, on July 5, Union soldiers led a captured Confederate wagon train with nearly 700 wounded soldiers into Mercersburg. Local churches became hospitals, and Mercersburg’s citizens nursed the Confederates. Some of the soldiers did not survive. Today, three Confederate soldiers--two of the soldiers who did not survive their wounds and Private Alban--are buried in Fairview Cemetery.
NEXT SITE: ENOCH BROWN MEMORIAL PARK
Start by going southest on Buchanan Trail West toward Seminary Lane. Turn left onto Kuhn Road in 5.5 miles. Stay on Kuhn Road, which becomes Patton Bridge Road in about 2.5 miles. Turn onto Williamson Road in about .25 miles. Then turn left onto Enoch Brown Road. The memorial and park is on the left.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 23
A Veteran’s Best Friend: Operation Save-a-Vet Save-a-Pet Dogs are more than just a friend to many; they can be life-savers. A local program aiming to help both veterans and shelter dogs is Operation Save-a-Vet Save-a-Pet. Through a grant from the Pennsylvania Veterans’ Trust Fund, Veterans Outreach Fund, and donations, Franklin County veterans can receive a service dog that has been trained to help with their disabilities, free of charge. Veterans can also enter their own dog to attend classes to become a service dog at a small fee. This service is dedicated to helping Franklin County veterans with service-connected disabilities that will help them life happier, healthier and more productive lives. Disabilities that dogs can be trained to help veterans with include seizure disorders, diabetes, PTSD, psychiatric disorders, stability and traumatic brain injury. Dogs come from local rescues and are put through a year-long training at no cost
to veterans by Helen Carlson, who owns and operates Good Dog Boarding, Doggie Day Care & Training with her husband, Brad, in Greencastle. Carlson, has been training dogs for over 36 years and leads the dogs in the three phase intensive program which ends with a final phase between the veteran and dog before being certified. The public can support the program by making a donation to the Franklin County Veterans Affairs Office at 425 Franklin Farm Lane, or by indicating a preference to donate on the PA driver’s license or registration renewal for the Pennsylvania Veterans’ Trust Fund. For more information about Operation Save-A-Vet Save-aPet, contact Justin Slep at the Franklin County Affairs Office at 717-263-4326.
Franklin County Commissioners recognize veterans and their service dogs who have completed the program 24 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Enoch Brown Memorial Park 2730 Enoch Brown Road, Greencastle, Pa 17225 Dedicated in 1885, the Enoch Brown Memorial Park and statue is located on the site of the Enoch Brown School massacre that took place on July 26, 1764 during the Pontiac Wars. Four Delaware American Indians, known as Lenape, entered a settlers’ longhouse near Greencastle. Inside, the schoolmaster Enoch Brown and a number of students wer einside and Brown pleaded with the Indians to spare the children, but the eleven children and their teacher were attacked. There was only one survivor, a student named Archie McCullough. Settlers buried Enoch Brown and the schoolchildren in a common grave. In 1843, the grave was excavated to confirm the location of the bodies and in 1885, the area was named Enoch Brown Memorial Park and a memorial was erected over the gravesite. The inscriptions on the front of the monument read; “Sacred to the memory of Schoolmaster Enoch Brown and eleven scholars, Via: Ruth Hart, Ruth Hale, Even Taylor, George Dunstan, and six others (Names unknown) who were massacred and scalped by Indians at this spot, July 26, 1764, during the Pontiac War.”
The Massacre of Schoolmaster Enoch Brown and Ten Scholars by Cyrus Cort The ground is holy where they fell And where their mingled ashes lie, Ye Christian people mark it well With granite column strong nad high;
Above: An inscription on another side of the monument.
And cherish well, forevermore, The storied wealth of early years, The sacred legacies of yore The toils and trials of pioneers. -1902
NEXT SITE: MONTEREY PASS
Start out east on Enoch Brown Road toward Stone Bridge Road. Turn right onto Stone Bridge Road. In about 3 miles, turn left onto Williamson Road, which becomes Williamson Avenue. In about 1 mile, turn right onto US-11 South, then turn left onto West Baltimore Street. Enter next roundabout and take the 2nd exit onto PA-16. Then go about 14 miles. The museum is on the left.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 25
Battle of Monterey Pass 14325 Buchanan Trail East, Waynesboro, PA 17268
Fought during the retreat of Gettysburg, the Battle of Monterey Pass is the second largest Civil War battle fought on Pennsylvania soil with 10,000 from both Union and Confederate forces. The battle took place in the late hours of July 4, 1863 and the early hours of July 5, 1863 during solid darkness and a torrential downpour on a precarious mountainside, spanning two states and four counties. After the Confederate defeat at Gettysburg, General Robert E. Lee was faced with returning troops, supplies, artillery, wagons, and wounded across South Mountain to Virginia. From July 3 to July 6, the retreating Confederate troops moved across South Mountain. There were two routes the Confederate army took. One was along the Chambersburg Pike to Cashtown, onto Greenwood—today known as Fayetteville—and south to Hagerstown. A shorter route traveled winding mountain roads through Fairfield Gap and across Monterey Pass to Hagerstown. A twenty-mile train of Conestoga-style wagons retreated on the longer route through Cashtown and was led by Brigadier General John Imboden. With so much rain, there was much mud. The multitude and weight of the wagons made an arduous and long retreat. The exodus via the shorter route through Fairfield Gap and across Monterey Pass did not escape the terrible impacts of the rain. Men marched on flooded roads and thick mud. In many Confederate soldier’s diaries and letters, it was referred to as Mount Misery or the quagmire. The conditions made night travel even more dangerous because visibility was so limited. On July 4, Union troops led by General Judson Kirkpatrick removed the Confederate sentries at Fairfield and were able to advance toward Monterey Pass. Brigadier General George Custer charged the Confederates with the 6th Michigan Cavalry, allowing Kilpatrick’s men to reach and attack the wagon train. Ultimately, the Union forces captured more than 1300 Confederate men and destroyed nine miles of wagons. Today, the site of the battle is along PA Route 16, just east of Waynesboro. The battlefield land is preserved by the local municipality, Washington Township, and houses the Monterey Pass Battlefield Museum, open weekends from April to November. The museum interprets Civil War history, depicts details of the Battle of Monterey Pass, and portrays the historical significance of the region.
NEXT SITE: RED RUN PARK
Start out going west on Buchanan Trail East toward Upland Road. The memorial is in about 2.4 miles and is on the right.
26 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
9/11 Tribute Memorial at Red Run Park 12143 Buchanan Trail East, Waynesboro, Pa 17268
In 2011, artifacts of the World Trade Center were made available to municipalities throughout the United States. Washington Township requested and received an artifact, a 4-feet, 1088-lb. steel I-beam. This I-beam, along with artifacts of the Pentagon and Shanksville, are the centerpieces of the Washington Township’s 9/11 Tribute. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on September 11, 2013.
NEXT SITE: WAYNESBORO MEMORIAL PARK
Turn right onto Route 16. Follow for just over 3 miles and turn left onto Clayton Avenue. In a half mile, turn right onto 4th Street, then turn right onto Memorial Park Drive. The park is on the left.
Above: Reflect and remember at 9/11 Tribute in Red Run Park, amidst the beautiful and powerful South Mountain. Left are the Rouzerville War Memorial and Cannon, which adjoin the 9/11 Tribute.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 27
Waynesboro Memorial Park 220 Memorial Drive, Waynesboro, Pa 17268
This memorial retreat, located at Waynesboro Memorial Park, honors all those who have served in all wars of the United States. This includes the names of men and women of Waynesboro and Franklin County. Originally a plaque was installed on Memorial Bridge where Route 16 crosses over the west branch of Little Antietam Creek, dedicated on May 30, 1927, it was removed, restored and rededicated by American Legion Joe Stickell Post #15 on May 30, 1999. NEXT SITE: GREEN HILL CEMETERY Head south on Memorial Park Drive toward 4th Street. Drive a quarter mile, turn right onto East 5th Street and follow for a half mile. Then, turn left onto Route 316 and drive about 3/4 of a mile. The cemetery and gravesite is on the left.
Grave of Henry Bonebrake Green Hill Cemetery 953 South Potomac Street, Waynesboro, Pa 17268 First Lt. Henry Bonebrake was born and lived in Waynesboro. As a member of Devin’s Division of the 17th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, Company G, he won the Medal of Honor for action in capturing the enemy’s flag at Five Forks, Virginia on April 1, 1865. His citation reads “As one of the first of Devin’s Division to enter the works, he fought in a hand-to-hand struggle with a Confederate to capture his flag by superior physical strength.” Bonebrake was born on June 21, 1838. He died on October 26, 1912. He is buried here.
NEXT SITE: GREENCASTLE-ANTRIM VETERANS MEMORIAL Head northeast on S Potomac St. toward Cemetery Avenue. Turn left onto Route 16 West and follow Route 16 for about 8 miles and turn right onto North Washington Street. The building and monument are on the left.
28 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Greencastle-Antrim Veterans Memorial 60 N Washington Street, Greencastle
NEXT SITE: CORPORAL RIHL MEMORIAL
Head south on N Washington Street toward E Baltimore Street and take the first right onto E Baltimore Street. Enter next roundabout and take the 2nd exit onto West Baltimore Street. Turn right onto North Antrim Way/Route 11 North and drive about 1 mile. The monument is on the left.
This memorial, located outside the Greencastle Borough offices honors veterans of Greencastle and Antrim Township. It was dedicated on Veterans Day 2008. The memorial spans the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Spanish-American War, Civil War, World War I, World War II, The Korean War, Vietnam War, Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom and has room for any future conflicts. With depictions of the past years of battle, this memorial serves as a silent tribute to the men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
Greencastle American Legion Frank L. Carbaugh Post 373 Post 373 is taking applications for new members in Post, Auxiliary, Social and Sons of Legion!
Visit the website: Post373.com
254 South Carlisle Street, Greencastle, PA 17225 | 717-597-9954 Club Hours Sun-Thurs. Noon to 10pm Fri-Sat. Noon to 1am
Lunch and Dinner Hours Monday & Tuesday Noon-7pm Wed-Sunday Noon-9pm
*Bingo Wednesday nights at 7pm *Smoke Free *A smoking room is provided
Franklin County Military Trail of Historyâ&#x201D;&#x201A;GREAT MOMENTSâ&#x201D;&#x201A; 29
Corporal Rihl Memorial at Fleming Farm 9389 Molly Pitcher Highway/Route 11, Greencastle The Confederate army and cavalry, an estimated forty-seven thousand men, marched through Greencastle and Chambersburg in late June enroute to Gettysburg. Jenkin’s Cavalry led Rhode’s Infantry through Greencastle on June 23, 1863. They encountered a Union force near William Fleming’s farm along what today is Route 11. Jenkin’s force set up a skirmish line and fired on the Union men. The federals suffered two casualties, one killed and one wounded. The man killed was Corporal William Rihl of Company C of the 1st N.Y. Cavalry. He had been shot through the head. Rihl, who grew up in Philadelphia, was the first Union soldier killed on Pennsylvania soil in the Civil War. Confederates buried Rihl in a shallow grave. Several days later his body was reinterred at the Lutheran Church cemetery on North Washington Street. On July 22, 1886 he was reinterred at the site where he was killed. A year later this monument was built by the GAR Corporal Rihl Post #438 with funding provided by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s state legislature. Dr. Franklin Bushey, a surgeon of the 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry, was one of the movers and shakers who led the movement to honor Corporal Rihl.
NEXT SITE: FORT MCCORD
Head north on Route 11 toward Brian Drive. Turn right onto E Garfield Street in about 9 miles. Take the second left onto S 2nd Street/US 11 North. Turn left onto Commerce Street and then take the 2nd right onto Popular Avenue. Turn left onto West Commerce Street then turn right onto Edenville Road and follow it until you get to Fort McCord Road and turn right.
30 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Fort McCord Fort McCord Road & Rumler Road, Chambersburg
Fort McCord was a private fort built by a Scots-Irish settler, William McCord in 1756. The fort was located along the base of the Kittatinny Mountains and was used by the Colonial Militia during the Indian Wars and raiding excursions. The fort served as protection for neighboring settlers as well as the family. On April 1, 1756, Fort McCord was attacked and burned by Delaware leader Shingas and his warriors. Twentyseven were killed or taken captive. Today, a Celtic Cross marks the site of the attack. Jean McCord Lowry and five of her children were taken captive. At the time, she was pregnant and uncertain of her fate. She spent six weeks with the Delaware before being gifted to a French official as a servant. She gave birth, but the child did not survive. Jean Lowry was exchanged for French prisoners in autumn 1758 and made her way back to America in April 1759, three years after her captivity began. Ultimately, she reunited with her children. In 2008, Conococheague Institute completed a reprint of Jean Lowry’s captivity journal, which is available on Amazon.
NEXT SITE: SHIPPENSBURG VETERAN’S PARK
Head southeast for three miles on Fort McCord Road toward Wenger Road. Turn left onto Edenville Road and then turn left onto Gabler Road. Turn left onto Letterkenny Road and then turn right onto Siloam Road. In about a mile and a half, turn left onto Route 11 North. Drive for 8 miles then turn left onto Eberly Drive and take the 1st left onto Park Place. The park is on the right.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 31
Franklin County Veterans Affairs Office As veterans return to civilian life, the Franklin County Veterans Affairs Office is ready to serve. Franklin County is the home to over 13,500 veterans seeking a variety of services. This office, located at 425 Franklin Farm Lane, can help honorably discharged veterans with federal, state and local benefits. According to its mission statement, the office is dedicated to serving the needs of area veterans and families through benefit coordination, outreach and advocacy.
with outdoor yard work. This program is in coordination with Franklin County Adult Probation and allows adult probation participants to serve the local veteran community by lawn care, landscaping, painting and cleaning. Another program is Save-a-Vet, Save-A-Pet, discussed further on page 24 of the booklet. These programs are all supported through the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Commonwealth Department of Military and Veterans Affairs and Franklin County. Many of the Franklin County specific programs are done with support through the Veterans Outreach Fund and the Pennsylvania Veterans’ Trust Fund. Donations to the Veterans Outreach Fund in Franklin County are tax deductible.
Some of the federal benefits are service-connected compensation plans, education benefits, home loans and healthcare enrollment with VA Medical Centers among others.
Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255
Pennsylvania benefits include handicap placard requests, real estate tax exemptions, financial assistance for honorably discharged veterans, pensions and other programs that help within the state.
Franklin County Veterans Affairs 425 Franklin Farm Lane Chambersburg, PA 17202 717-263-4326
On a local level, Franklin County offers several benefits, including payments toward the funeral and burial of an honorably discharged war-time veteran, payment toward the installation of a federal government issued headstone or marker and grave flags and flag hold markers that are done every Memorial Day.
Martinsburg VA Center 510 Butler Avenue Martinsburg, WV 25401 800-817-3807
One of the newer local programs is Helping Hands for Heroes, a volunteer service program for veterans or surviving spouses, active duty military and spouses in need of help 32 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
VA Outpatient Clinic 1101 Opal Court Hagerstown, MD 21742 301-665-1462 Veterans Benefits Line 800-827-1000 National Call Center for Homeless Veterans 800-424-3838
Shippensburg Veteran’s Park 182 Park Place, Shippensburg This park is the largest public park in Shippensburg. The park includes memorials to over 5,000 area Americans, who served in WWII, the Korean War and the War in Vietnam. The memorials were dedicated on July 4, 1987. The project was paid for by contributions from over 250 local residents and businesses. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial contains the name of 1,283 who served from July 1958 until May 1975. Its inscription reads: “This was a long war. History will judge its worthwhile outcome.” The Korean War monument lists the names of 472 locals who were involved. A supplemental list of 1,491 who served in WWII is also a part of this monument. Additionally 609 served in the Civil War and 563 served in WWI. A water fountain in the park also serves as a dedication to those local servicemen and women who died in all wars. The fountain is surrounded by a garden that contains the American, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and POW-MIA flags.
NEXT SITE: LOCUST GROVE CEMETERY
Drive northeast on Park Place then turn left unto Molly Pitcher Highway/Route 11 N. Follow until turning left onto Newville Road/PA533. In just over 2 miles, turn left onto Ott Road. The cemetery is on the right.
Harry Ziegler VFW Post 6319 The post is open for all veterans who have served our military. There are membership opportunities in the Auxiliary and for social members!
The post facilities are open for all members! These facilities include: • Kitchen with short order, pub menus and regular dining at select times Tuesday through Saturday • Live music events • Resources for veterans
408 S. Washington Street | Greencastle, PA 717-597-8512 vfw6319.org
Post meetings are at 7pm the 1st Monday of the month!
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 33
Locust Grove Cemetery 41 Ott Road, Shippensburg Shippensburg had slaves even before the American Revolution. They were brought here by the Scots-Irish immigrants. In the 1780s, Pennsylvania’s Gradual Emancipation Law called for an accounting of slaves. At that time, the Shippensburg area had 47 slaves. With blacks in the area, this necessitated a black burial ground. James Burd included in his 1749 survey of Shippensburg a plot designated as “Negro Graveyard”. That same plot was transferred to “the black people of Shippensburg” by Edward Shippen Burd in 1842 “for the consideration of twenty cents a year and yearly forever which is to be and for the purpose of erecting a place of worship and Burying the Dead of the black people of Shippensburg and for no other purpose whatever.” Forty-four colored veterans are buried here from the Civil War to the war in Vietnam. Those graves include twenty-six veterans of the Civil War. Twenty-two of those were enlisted in the United States Colored Troops, with three others were from the 54th and 55th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry with one a Marine. Those USCT regiments represented in the cemetery include the 3rd USCT, 22nd USCT, 24th USCT, 25th USCT, 32nd USCT, 43rd USCT, 45th USCT, 127th USCT and the 2nd U.S. Colored Cavalry. Of those Civil War graves, more than two thirds had lived in Shippensburg at some time but had been born somewhere else.
NEXT SITE: CAMP MICHAUX
Start by turning right unto Newville Road/PA-533 and take the 1st left onto Brown Road. In a mile, turn left onto Ritner Highway/US Route 11 N. Turn right onto Centerville Road/PA-233 and in 9 miles, turn left onto Pine Grove Road. The camp is on the right.
34 │GREAT MOMENTS│www.ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com
Camp Michaux at Pine Grove Furnace State Park Adjacent to 1100 Pine Grove Road, Gardners Prisoners of war from the surrender in World War II were held at two sites in Franklin County. Most were held at Letterkenny Army Depot. Some captured German and Japanese naval officers and enlisted men were held here, at a secret interrogation camp located in the CCC Camp at Pine Grove Forest. Reportedly the prisoners were plied with alcohol to get them to talk. It is believed that their barracks were wired so American officials could eavesdrop on them. It is thought that as many as 7,000 prisoners of war were interrogated here. One of the barracks that is still standing along the Appalachian Trail contains the name Erich John Berlin at the top right of the porch foundation. Park historians believe he might have been a German prisoner of war. Another building in the park was used to house horses that the guards might have needed had there been an attempt for the prisoners to escape. A marker that says “POW April 43 – May 46” and is the only marker regarding the prisoner of war camp that remains. Pine Grove Furnace operated as a church camp until 1971. Some who attended the camp talked of remembering seeing paintings made by one of the German prisoners of war that hung in th recreation building.
FAST FACT: 6,460 men and women from Franklin County served their country in World War II.
Please contact the Franklin County Visitors Bureau for a copy of the self-guided Camp Michaux walking tour.
Franklin County Military Trail of History│GREAT MOMENTS│ 35
Explore More Military History at VeteranTrailPa.org
866-646-8060 | ExploreFranklinCountyPA.com Facebook.com/FCVBen | Twitter.com/FCVB