Course Objective • Industry overview • Understand the meaning of a “smart home” • What makes a home smart? • How does a “smart home” effect architects and their business? y Hidden Home • Case Study: Theater
Th Fourth The F th Trade T d • CEDIA is an international trade association of companies that specialize in designing, manufacturing and installing electronic systems for the home home. – Founded in 1989 – Over 3,500 , member companies p world wide – Members are established and insured b i businesses with i h bona b fide fid qualifications lifi i and experience in this specialized field
AV Industry *http://www.infocomm.org
• The Industry – – – –
Multibillion dollar industry Evolved from A/V to communications and digital networks Products: A/V distribution, computer networking, control y , interfacing g and signal g distribution systems, Markets: education, residential, retail, government, corporate, healthcare, etc.
• EDG In The Industry – – – – – – –
Founded in 1987 17,000 sq ft state-of-the-art facility Project sizes range from 25K to over 2M + P j territory: Project i NY T Tri-state, i U Upstate NY and d Philadelphia Consulting territory: Worldwide Over 40 full time employees 38 national i l awards d for f projects j andd business b i acumen
How Home Automation Evolved • Derivative of commercial use – Boardrooms, Auditoriums, Conference Rooms, Lobbies, Training Centers, Classrooms
• T Technology h l can bbe overwhelming hl i • Need to simplify and control • Evolved beyond y touchpanel p and control systems – Entertainment systems – Infrastructure systems
• Manage subsystems so technology doesn’t get in the way!
H Homes H Have Ch Changed d
How Things Have Changed Analogous to Automotive Industry • Cloth Seats • AC
• Power Windows • Power Locks • Navigation
• Blue Tooth • Keyless Ignition • DVD and Surround Sound
Published on Feb 11, 2011
• Industry overview • Understand the meaning of a “smart home” • What makes a home smart? • How does a “smart home” effect architects and th...