Murwillumbah Community College Excellence in Adult and Community Education Friendly – Inclusive – Engaging - Local
Term 2 Course Guide 2014 Call in to see us at Shop 9, Murwillumbah Plaza, Main Street, Murwillumbah. Ask about flexible payment options for accredited courses and concession prices for lifestyle courses for pensioner and health card holders and people currently unemployed. Discounts apply if more than one course is booked at the same time..
ACCREDITED COURSES FOR WORK
Boost you career prospects in 2014 through accredited qualifications and compliance training. RTO: 90044
LIFESTYLE COURSES Follow your passion through workshops and courses in the arts, crafts, sustainable lifestyle, wellbeing, computers, digital technology, music and leisure.
SHORT ACCREDITED COURSES – COMPLETE IN 1 TO 2 DAYS 1. Barista – Prepare and Serve Espresso Coffee SITHFAB204 with Kristine Carroll. Learn to make espresso coffee, store coffee and maintain commercial coffee machines. Dates: Sat 12th April, 17th May, 14th June or 12th July Time: 10.00am – 3.00pm Fee: $160
7. Chainsaw Operations Level 1 or 2 with Mal Hall. This two-day course allows for safe operations and effective maintenance of chainsaws. Units covered are AHCOHS201A – Participate in OHS Processes; and AHCARB205A – Operate and maintain chainsaws. Expression of Interest – Call for details Time: 9.00am - 4.00pm Fee: $425
8. NSW White Card – Construction Induction CPCCOHS1001A with Ter2. Food Safety Supervisor Certificate with Kristine Carroll. Certain registered food businesses require a Food Safety Supervisor. This is a one day course which requires the completion of the units SITXFSA201 and SITXFSA101. Dates: Sat 31st May, 28th June or 26th July Time: 9.00am – 5.00pm Fee: $220 3. RCG – Provide Responsible Gambling Services SITHGAM201 with Andrew Woodburn. Mandatory training for those working within the gambling sector of the hospitality industry. Dates: Wed 14th May, 18th June, 16th July Time: 4.00pm – 10.00pm Fee: $160 4. RSA – Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol SITHFAB201 with Andrew Woodburn. Mandatory training for those serving alcohol in the hospitality industry. Dates: Tues 13th May, 17th June or 15th July Time: 4.00pm – 10.00pm Fee: $200 5. Apply First Aid & Resuscitation (CPR) Full Certificate, Recertification for your work or new career. This course is offered in partnership with Accredited Training Company and they will issue successful participants with a Statement of Attainment for, HLTAID003 Apply first aid, HLTAID001 Perform CPR, 22099VIC First aid management of anaphylaxis & 22024VIC Emergency management of asthma in the workplace.
Dates: Saturdays 17th May, 21st June or 19th July Fee: $140 Time: 9.00am - 5.00pm (Recertification $120) 6. Resuscitation (CPR) Update
Update your CPR now! This course is offered in partnership with Accredited Training Company and they will issue successful participants with a Statement of Attainment for HLTAID001 Perform CPR.
Dates: Saturdays 17th May, 21st June or 19th July Time: 9.00am - 12.00pm
ry Sullivan. Mandated OHS induction requirements for working in the construction industry.
Dates: Thursday 24th April, 22nd May or 26th June Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm
9. Develop Keyboarding Speed & Accuracy BSBITU307A Learn to enter text and data with touch typing techniques. Self-paced learning at home. On successful completion of this unit, students will be assessed in accordance with AS 2708- 2001 and issued with a speed and accuracy statement.
10. Marine Radio Operators Certificate MROVCP with John H Purcell CMDR. This course aims to qualify owners or operators of a VHF radio on small boats as it is a requirement that they hold a MROVCP (Marine Radio Operators VHF Certificate of Proficiency) as issued by the Office of Maritime Communications (OMC). This is for use in Australia and is recognised worldwide.
Run by expression of interest
11. Boat Licence with John H Purcell CMDR. Learn the fundamentals of safe and efficient boat handling. Held at Volunteer Coastguard Headquarters.
Dates: Sat 26th April, 31st May or 28th June Time: 9.00am - 1.30pm (NSW maritime licence fee also applies) Fee: $60 12. Chemical User Accreditation with David Neave. This course is for anyone who is a commercial user of agricultural chemicals. At the end of the course you will have the required knowledge to use farm chemicals safely. The certification is valid for 5 years. Units completed are AHCCHM201A – Apply chemicals under supervision; AHCCHM304A – Transport, handle and store chemicals and AHCCHM303A – Prepare and apply chemicals.
Dates: 2 x Thurs 24th April and 1st May or Thurs 5th and 12th June Time: 9.00am - 5.00pm Fee: $335 13. Chemical User Reaccreditation with David Neave. A one-day course for people who wish to renew their chemical user accreditation.
Date: Thursday 1st May or 12th June Time: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Don’t miss out! Enrol now! Call (02) 6672 6005 For more information log on to www.mbahcc.net or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Accredited Qualifications - Flexible Entry - At a pace to suit you 14. Initial General Education for Adults – CGEA Introductory 22234VIC with Gladys Bailey Inclusive education for people who may struggle in traditional classroom settings. Date: Wednesdays – ongoing Time: 1.00pm - 3.00pm Fee: $5 (per session) Join Anytime
15. Certificate II in General Education for Adults (CGEA) 22237VIC Year 10 equiv with Kay Jefed. This course is for people who have not previously completed a Year 10 qualification. Date: Wednesdays – ongoing Time: 9.00am - 12.00pm Fee: $10 (per session) Join Anytime
17. Type Quick Speed and Accuracy Assessment 16. Certificate II in Business BSB20112 with Kay Jefed. Required by many employers, this accuracy typing test meets the This qualification may help you gain employment in roles including Australian Standard 2708-2001 –phone our office to arrange a time. Administration Assistant, Clerical Worker, Data Entry Operator, Fee: $35 Call Anytime Information Desk Clerk, Office Junior or Receptionist. Date: Fridays Time: 9.00am - 12.30pm Fee: $10 (per session) Join Anytime
Accredited Courses for Work—Complete in 3 months @ 1 day per week 18. Spreadsheets BSBITU304A - with Jenny Fitzgerald Excel is an amazing software program that can be used for various business documents including Cash Books to keep your financial records. Join now to excel in EXCEL. Date: 4 x Mondays starting 5th May Time: 9.00am - 3.30pm Fee: $433 Conc: $386
19. Understand the Intricacies of WORD BSBITU303A with Jenny Fitzgerald. Become efficient in designing and producing text documents and receive a Statement of Attainment on completion. Date: 8 x Fridays starting 9th May Time: 9.00am - 12.00pm Fee: $433 Conc: $386
20. Certificate IV in Training and Assessment TAE40110 with Jim Nicholls. This qualification is a requirement for trainers who deliver accredited training. Date: 14 x Mon starting 12th May Time: 9.30am - 4.00pm Fee: $1850
21. TAA Upgrade with Jim Nicholls. Needing to upgrade your Training and Assessment qualification from TAA to TAE. The cost commences at $220 and then in accordance with individual requirements. Contact the college for more details on (02) 66726005
22. Certificate IV in Frontline Management BSB40812 with Jim Nicholls Frontline managers have a significant leadership role in their organization with responsibilities to ensure that their teams deliver quality services and products. The purpose of this program is to develop, through learning and hands on practice, recognized competencies for frontline and other managers. Attendance 1 day per week for 11 weeks. Date: Thursday 22nd May Time: 9.00am – 4.00pm Fee: $1750
Accredited Qualifications—Complete in 6—9 months @ 1 day per week 23. Certificate III in Business Administration BSB30412 with Jenny Fitzgerald. This qualification reflects the role of employees who would apply a broad range of administrative competencies in varied work contexts, using some discretion and judgment. They may also provide technical advice and support to a team. This course will give you a holistic approach to a majority of computer software in Business. Limited vacancies are available to commence on 1st May. Date: 36 x Thurs starting 3rd April. Time: 9.00am—3.00pm Fee: $2400
24. Certificate III in Disability CHC30408- with Louanne King A rewarding course for people wanting to work as a support person for a person with a disability; improving independence, building confidence and developing skills for everyday life. One day per week for 26 weeks. Date: Tues 3rd June Time: 9.00am—3.00pm Fee: $2100
Professional Development FREE COURSE 25. Events Design Workshop with Emily Hall. Interested in a job in the Events and Marketing Industry? This Events workshop is specifically designed to give you detailed knowledge about the industry. The course will focus on building a greater understanding of event planning, implementation of processes, task management and qualities required to ensure successful outcomes. Date: 2 x Saturdays starting 24th May Time: 9.30am—4.00pm
Give the gift of a ‘gift voucher’ this mothers day.
Call into our office at Shop 9 Murwillumbah Plaza, Main St, Murwillumbah (next to the New Leaf Café) or contact the office on (02) 66726005
Some accredited courses are Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy and Pensioner Education Supplement approved to qualifying applicants. Students enquiring about their Entitlements should call the Centrelink call centre on 132490
Information Technology 26. Computers for Beginners with Charlie Parratt. This course is for the novice and will give you real hands-on experience. Topics include: introduction to Windows, file management, word processing, Internet and email. For those new to the world of computers it will help you demystify the jargon. Date: 5 x Tuesdays starting 29th April Time: 9.30am - 12.30pm Fee: $220 Conc: $198
27. Computers Intermediate - with Charlie Parratt Continue to unlock the mystery of computing by going to the next level. Develop your Facebook skills, network with friends; learn how to download images from your camera to your computer. We can help you set up an iTunes account and develop your word processing, spreadsheets, file management and searching the web skills. Date: 5 x Tuesdays starting 3rd June Time: 9.30am - 12.30pm Fee: $220 Conc: $198
28. Ingenious Ipads with Charlie Parratt Ipads inspire hands on learning and creativity. This user friendly device can assist you to manage social communication, have fun, collect ideas and data, jot down notes, research and find information, manage projects, access fascinating Apps and a lot more. Learn about cyber bullying and how to prevent and handle it . Date: 4 x Wed starting 30th April or 4th June Time: 1.30pm - 3.30pm Fee: $89 Conc: $80
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST 29. Tech Savvy Seniors - with Charlie Parratt Learn how to use computers, smart phones and tablets. This training will help you access information on the Net and make contact with family and friends. It will cover the internet, emailing, cyber safety, online shopping & banking and social media. Date: 10 x Tuesdays - Limited vacancies are still available in Term 2. Time: 1.30pm - 4.30pm Fee: $50
Design and Creativity 30. The Art of Sewing with Vanessa Strickland. Learn how to effectively repair, alter and redesign your clothes. The benefits of sewing are many - adapt vintage and favourite garments to a unique new ‘look’, alter uniforms or make your own soft furnishings. What to bring: Own sewing machine needed. Date: 6 x Thursdays starting 15th May Time: 9.30am – 12.30pm Fee: $220 Conc: $199
31. Freeform Textile Art with Megan Jack Learn the easy technique of dry needle-felting and basic crochet stitches to create fabulous useful wearable art. Find out how easy it is when you let go of patterns. Create accessories, soft furnishings and unique gifts. Date: 3 x Thurs starting 1st May or 5th June Time: 10.00am - 1.00pm Fee: $118 Conc: $107
32. Creative Art for Wellness with Artist, Barb Suttie Art for personal wellness is a creative process in art making for enhancing general wellbeing. Barb is well qualified to assist you in developing a range of creative activities that you can integrate into your daily life. Relax and de-stress, explore your abilities, express yourself in a visual format. Date: 6 x Tuesdays starting 13th May Time: 10.00am - 2.30pm Fee: $286 Conc: $258
33. Silver Smithing with Wendy Springfield. In this course you will complete three or more pieces of jewellery in sterling silver. You will learn to design and size your own special ring, a linked chain bracelet and a solid multi component cuff bangle. Skills taught include sawing, filing, sanding, polishing, annealing and soldering precious metal. The course sets you on a path to explore Gold and Silversmithing as a fine art and hobby. Date: 3 x Sat starting 3rd May Time: 9.30am – 4.00pm Fee: $218 Conc: $198
34. Cupcakes - Introduction to Fondant - with Lauren Blong Impress your friends and family and have them asking for more! You will learn to use fondant icing in lots of different ways to create your own edible art. This is a 100% hands on course. Each student will take home 6 decorated cupcakes. Students are to bring an apron and a small rolling pin. All other tools will be supplied for use and will be available for purchase on the day. Date: Wednesday 18th June Time: 5.30pm - 8.30pm Fee: $65 Conc: $55
35. Scrapbooking Revisited- with Katherine Dawson-Malone Do you like scrapbooking but haven’t done it for a while? Join us and re-discover the basics of scrapbooking and also learn some new ideas and advanced techniques for page layouts and journaling. By the end of this course you will take away useful information and 3 completed pages. Date: 3 x Sat starting 3rd May Time: 10.00 - 1.00pm Fee: $120 Conc: $108
36. Polka Dot Cake - with Lauren Blong Want to create an elegant cake for a wedding, birthday or special event? This course will teach you the basic techniques to turn your vision into a reality! Suitable for aspiring professionals or enthusiasts alike. You will be introduced to new materials and tools, learn to cover a round cake with chocolate ganache and fondant, ice a cake board and make fondant decorations. Apply fondant, get a smooth professional finish with sharp angles, make a fondant ribbon and more. Each Student will leave with an 8 inch round decorated Chocolate mud cake and a wealth of knowledge. All other tools will be supplied for use and will be available for purchase on the day. Date: Tuesday 17th June Time: 10.30am - 3.30pm Fee: $100 Conc: $91
37. Modelling Miniatures with Warren O’Brien Learn the process of how to make models and recycle at the same time. Try your hand at making small furniture, houses or automotive models. Most materials can be found around the house and re-used. Turn used cardboard into your very own creation. What to bring: PVA glue, water based paints. Date: 5 x Mondays starting 18th May Time: 1.00pm - 4.00pm Fee: $190 Conc: $172 38. Digital Photography with Katrina Cram This course is designed with the beginner in mind. You learn the basic fundamentals of photography which will give you a solid learning foundation and we will also go out and practice your new skills along the way to develop your portfolio of photos. Date: 6 x Sundays starting 4th May Time: 1.00pm - 4.00pm Fee: $216 Conc: $195
Don’t miss out! Enrol now! Call (02) 6672 6005 For more information log on to www.mbahcc.net or email email@example.com
MUSIC AND LANGUAGE 39. Biodanza with Kerrie-Anne Crittle Biodanza wakes up our vital energy for happy healthy living through a fusion of selected music, movement and encounters. Biodanza is joy, pleasure, playfulness, connection and rejuvenation. Date: 8 x Weds starting 7th May Time: 6.00pm – 8.00pm Fee: $245 Conc: $225
40. Piano for Beginners/Continuing with Beth Stewart. Come and learn piano and develop your skills in this friendly supportive class. Class held at the Undercroft at the All Saints Church, Byangum Rd, Murwillumbah. Date: 7 x Mon starting 19th May Time: 1.00pm – 3.00pm Fee: $235 Conc: $210
41. Latin Spanish - with Dhana O’Shea Latin Spanish is the language of passion and vitality spoken in many countries throughout the world from Europe to South America. Dhana is Peruvian and will introduce you to the magical flavours and nuances of this vibrant language. This course will be invaluable for travellers or those with an interest in Latin Spanish cultures. Date: 6 x Mondays starting 2nd June Time: 6.00pm – 8.00pm Fee: $165 Conc: $136
42. Supporting Your Primary Student with Jocelyn Edwards. Does your child need support mastering the basic skills of numeracy or literacy? Learn tried and tested games and activities to make learning a time that you and your child/student enjoy and look forward to revisiting. Date: 4 x Saturdays starting 24th May Time: 3.00pm – 5.00pm Fee: $125 Conc: $112
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR TERM 3
44. French for Beginners - with Corinne Voinet French is the language of love, fine arts, of fashion, and one of the world’s most fascinating destinations. Our course focuses on practical communication in small classes with our friendly, native French tutor. You will learn how to pronounce phrases with confidence and communicate successfully. Date: 7 x Thursdays starting 22nd May Time: 4.00pm – 6.00pm Fee: $204 Conc: $186
43. Learn To Play The Harmonica with Ken Gates. Come along to this musical workshop and learn how the harmonica works. Learn music tabulations to sound like a train, to play in time with others or make your own music. Date: Saturday 2nd August Time: 9.00am – 4.30pm Fee: $88 Conc: $80 45. Learn To Play The Ukulele with Ken Gates. No musical knowledge necessary. Have fun and learn this inexpensive musical instrument in a day. Learn how to strum in time with others, form chords, pick out a tune and some basic music. Date: Sunday 3rd August Time: 9.00am – 4.30pm Fee: $88 Conc: $80
Wellbeing, Health and Personal Development 46. Ask Yourself Workshop with Deb Bourke Ask Yourself is an in-depth one day empowerment program which explores and identifies your essential values and top priorities. Identify what truly drives and fulfills you. Reach your goals more quickly. All course materials supplied. What matters Date: Saturday 21st June most is how Time: 9.30am - 4.00pm you see yourself Fee: $88 Conc: $80 48. Indian Head Massage with Kerry Nijam This is a relaxing technique that is applied while remaining seated and fully clothed. Learn how to apply gentle massage techniques to the upper back, arms, shoulders, neck, scalp and face. Some of the many benefits experienced during a massage are; the easing of tension and inner peace. Headaches and heaviness are relieved, muscles unknotted and other parts of the body respond to this relaxed state. Date: Sunday 4th May or 15th June Time: 9.00am - 4.00pm Fee: $88 Conc: $80 50. Gentle Arts for Living Well with Kelly Ryan Cultivate a resource kit of gentle arts to support your busy life and overall health. Over 4 workshops you will explore Iyengar Yoga techniques, the Chakras, Yin and Yang principles, Meditation, cultivating positive thoughts, exercises and developing love and compassion. Give yourself the gift of this time to replenish your strength and resources. Date: 4 x Fridays starting 9th May Time: 1.00pm - 3.30pm Fee: $166 Conc: $150
47. Soul Collage with Shiana Harris Add layers and play with them during this unique collage process to attune yourself with your heart's desires and life goals. Bring those things which represent your best memories and aspirations - copies of photos, poems, songs, your writing, pictures from magazines, old books. Art journal and other art materials are provided. Date: 2 x Thurs starting 22nd May Time: 10.00am - 3.00pm Fee: $55 Conc: $50 49. Natural Health In Daily Life with David McLeod B.AC.ND Over 4 workshops, explore strategies for improving health naturally. Natural health principles Coping with chronic illness/disease (natural methods of benefit) Living in an age of anxiety; looking for natural solutions Healthy ageing Date: 4 x Fridays starting 23rd May Time: 1.00pm - 3.00pm Fee: $105 Conc: $95 51. Yoga with Kelly Ryan Join Iyengar Yoga teacher Kelly Ryan on a journey of an inspiring and uplifting 6 week introduction to Beginners Yoga. Be guided through breathing techniques, philosophy, chakras and yoga poses. Each week explore different combinations of poses followed with delightful and relaxing meditation. Yoga is not just a series of poses, it is a lifestyle that ultimately is empowering and gently transformational for Body, Mind and Soul. Date: 6 x Fridays starting 2nd May Time: 10.00am - 12.00pm Fee: $150 Conc: $137
Gift Vouchers available. Buy them that special occassion or for training and learning throughout the year.