Mandav, Mandu, Mandavgarh; Shadiabad (by Allauddin Khilji), Anand Nagari [City of Happiness] th Known as early as 6 Century BC. 100km Southwest from Indore, in Dhar District. Elevation of 2079 feet th th Approx. 10 and 11 Century AD – Paramar Dynasty (Raja Bhoj) 1305 – 1320 – Khilji Dynasty - (Ala-ud-din Khilji) 1401 – 1429 – Ghuri Dynasty - (Dilawar Khan) 1531 – 1534 – Gujarat Sultanate - (Bahadur Shah) 1534 – 1540 – Mughal Empire - (Humayun) 1544 – 1555 – Suri Dynasty - (Sher Shah Suri) 1555 – 1562 – Baz Bahadur 1562 – 1732 – Mughal Empire - (Akbar) 1732 – 1818 – Maratha Empire - (Baji Rao I, Holkar Dynasty) 1818 – 1947 – British Rule Romance of Baz Bahadur and Rani Roopmati. Fortress Complex. Architecture.
HINDOLA MAHAL: “Swinging Palace” so named due to its sloping side walls, it may have been constructed during the reign of Hushang Shah about 1425 C.E. but may date to the end of the 15th century during the reign of Ghiyas al-Din. It is one of a set buildings making up the royal palace complex at Mandu, which consists of the Jahaz Mahal, the Hindola Mahal, the Tawili Mahal, and the Nahar Jharokha. It may have been used as an audience chamber. (Image: Hindola Mahal and Arches of Hindola Mahal) JAHAZ MAHAL: “Ship Palace” so named as it appears as a ship floating in water. Situated between two artificial lakes, this two storied architectural marvel is Built by Sultan Ghiyas-ud-din-Khilji, it served as a harem for the sultan (Image below: Jahaz Mahal)
Images Legend: 1)
HINDOLA MAHAL (Swinging Palace).
ARCHES of the Hindola Mahal. JAHAZ MAHAL (Ship Palace).
TOWER OF VICTORY (Ashrafi Mahal): The 'palace of gold coins', built by Hoshang Shah's successor, Mahmud Shah Khilji, was conceived as an academic institution for young boys. To commemorate his victory over Rana Khumba of Mewar, Mahmud Shah also added a seven - storeyed tower, of which only one storey has survived.
HOSHANG SHAH’s TOMB: India's first marble edifice and one of the supreme examples of Afghan architecture. The impressive dome, the intricate marble lattice work, the porticoed courts are some of the memorable features of this ancient structure. It is said that Shah Jahan sent some of his renowned architects to study the design of the tomb, and to use it as a role model for other such structures. Among them was Ustad Hamid, the architect, who was
closely associated with the conception of the Taj Mahal. JAMI MOSQUE: Started by Hoshang Shah and completed by Mahmud Khilji in A.D. 1454. It is one of the most majestic buidlings in Mandu. Design was inspired by the great mosque at Damascus.
TOMB OF DARYA KHAN: Employed in the court of Sultan Mahmud II (AD 151026). There are a number of other ruined buildings close by from which, it appears, the area was quite an important one containing gardens and other
pleasure house. HATHI MAHAL (Elephant Palace). Received its name from its huge pillars that resemble elephants’ legs, it was originally constructed as a pleasure resort and later converted into a tomb, since a burial place is now seen inside and a
mosque is also standing nearby. MALIK MUGHIS’s MOSQUE: Built in 1432 by Malik Mughith, father of Mahmud
Khilji. One of the oldest structures in Mandu. 10) CARAVAN SERAI: An inn for travellers. 11) DAI KA MAHAL (Palace of the Wet-Nurse): Though called a Palace, it is a tomb of a royal wet-nurse. 12) DAI KI CHHOTI BEHEN KA MAHAL (Palace of the Wet-nurse’s Sister): Also a th tomb dating to the 16 Century. 13) JALI MAHAL : Tomb of an unnamed noble fitted with intricate “Jalis” or “Screens”. 14) RANI ROOPMATI’s PAVILLION: Rani Roopmati was the beloved mistress and later wife of Baz Bahadur. The Pavilion is built near the edge of the fort. These were built in three stages. Probably started in early 15th century with extensions added later. Originally built as an army observation post. She used to come here daily from the palace nearby to have gaze at the sacred Narmada. 15) BAZ BAHADUR’s PALACE: Situated on the slope of a hill in the midst of beautiful and colourful natural scenery. There is an inscription in Persian over the main entrance of Baz Bahadur's palace which assigns its construction to Sultan Nasir Shah in (AH 914) (AD 1508-9).
16) JAIN TEMPLE: The Jain Temple, Mandu is the non-Muslim embodiment of art and architecture amongst the several mosques and dargahs which jumble the town. The Jain temples have idols made of gold, silver and marble. Some of these idols are adorned with shining jade eyes.
OTHER SITES OF INTEREST
The Royal Enclave Group comprises of the Monuments which constitute to the Royal Heritage like the palaces and fortresses. The Royal Enclave Group comprises of the following structures: 1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
Hathi Pol Hindola Mahal Champa Baoli Jahaz Mahal Taveli Mahal
ECHO POINT: Echo Point is named so because, situated next to a steep hill, the scenic place gets its name from the natural echo phenomenon here. Gada Shah Shop Monument: Gada Shah was the snazzy retailer of medieval Mandu. The so-called "shop" was once the Hall of Audience probably for the general public, the Hindola Mahal to the west being meant for select assemblies, which seems to be confirmed from the common style of the two buildings. The present construction was, however, planed on a larger scale, the hall being much larger in size, the thrust of its gigantic arches being counteracted by extremely massive buttresses built along the walls in spite of which the building is now in a ruined condition. Unlike the natural stone facing of the Hindola-Mahal the walls of this edifice were plastered over and further adorned with coloured tiles, traces of which could still be seen. Neelkanth Shrine: Located very close to the Neel Kanth Palace. The enclosure of the shrine has countless trees and a sacred pond which is fed by a nearby stream. Neelkanth Palace was Built by the Mughal governor, Shah Badgah Khan, and was erected for the Hindu wife of Akbar the Great. There are some philosophic inscriptions on its walls which preach the superiority of emancipation over earthliness.
Left: Rewa Kund. A reservoir that harvested rain water and provided the water for Rani Roopmatiâ€™s Pavillion. Right: A causeway for harvested water built under Rani Roopmati â€™s Pavillion.
Taveli Mahal: The name Taveli is another form of Tavela which means "Stable". During Mughal rule the Taveli Mahal was used for stables, the apartments in the above two storeys was meant for the accomodation of the guards. There is a gateway seen close to the Taveli Mahal, offering access from the south to the Royal Enclave. The terrace of the Taveli Mahal prescripts a beautiful view of the surrounding country and the ruins, and for that reason it was once converted into a rest house for use of the visitors.