Introduction Logo / Letterheads Business Cards Postcards Broadsheet Journal / Process Book Conclusion Contact
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The final project of my university career was a perfect platform to showcase the skills I have accumulated during my study. In the Final Major Project I decided to create a personal identity for myself. This was forward thinking to after a graduated university and out looking for work.
Along side the conventional stationary of business cards and letterheads, I had also created postcards screen-printed with past projects on them. These were an unusual way of archiving my work as opposed to a portfolio. I had also produced a broadsheet exhibiting the printmaking processes I had used throughout the project.
In this final project alone I have experimented with a number of different processes including screen-printing, laser cutting, linocut printing, embossing and photopolymer printing. This shows I am open to using a wide range of methods and techniques in my practice.
Logo / Letterhead
The logo of my identity was created by proportionate positive and negative rectangles to form HILL, which has been enclosed in a box. East Asians seals, which are stamps used as a signature for artists and officials, had inspired this strong mark.
For my letterhead the contact information has been placed in top right corner. I felt this made the most of the space and separated the detail from the copy type of the letter. I also placed the identity mark to align to the top of the contact information and align with the margin of the letter.
I have separated the body of the letter so that it uses up the last 2/3 of the A4 paper. This is because it will be visually pleasing when folded with just the vital information showing through on the first third of the design.
For the business cards the logo was blind embossed into the front of the card. I printed onto high quality Saunders Waterford 140lb 100% cotton paper. The contact details has been kerned and appear on the back and designed on a portrait format. The position of the text in the top right corner have been thoughtfully considered (I found that
people held the card from the bottom). I decided to finish off the business card by duplexing the front and back of the business card on to black mount board. This gave the card a black core, which I felt was visually exciting as it contrasted the whiteness of the watercolour paper.
I felt archiving my most successful printmaking projects needed to be created by the very same print processes that made them successful. Therefore a simple newspaper or other digitally produced materials would not suffice. I therefore decided to screen-print the three selected designs on to A5 postcards as I had done originally.
These postcards have been collated in series and placed into anti-static bags ready to be sent out. These postcards are very special limited editions for achieving my past projects. These screen-prints are of such high quality thanks to using the correct consistency of the acrylic and the super-fine mesh of the silkscreen.
A broadsheet was produced to accompany the personal brand identity I was designigning for my Final Major Project. Not only would this explain all the print processes used to create my body of design work, but it would also to demonstrate my editorial design ability.
Close attention paid to the overall aesthetic look of the broadsheet, using varying sizes of images, which creates contrasr within the design. Although not overlooking intricate details, which included kerning the titles and minimising the rivers in the copy type.
The unconventional size of the broadsheet, 1188mm by 420mm, adds further interest to the design piece. The decision to position all the information on one side of the broadsheet was practical as it could be pinned up on a wall. The other side has a pattern formed by the my logo.
Journal / Process Book
Along side the project I have designed and written a process book and journal. These were linked to the identity documentation Broadsheet and have continuity throughout the three publications. All three use Akzidenz Grotesk for titles and Egyptienne for the copy type. The two books have been printed in greyscale to create unity and the
broadsheet in one-tone colour. This is another example of the continuum through the project. The process book contains key developments of the identity and the printmaking process while the journal gives a day-by-day breakdown of the ten weeks spent on the project.
I now possess a considerable knowledge of computer software such as Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. My skill set does not end with these digital applications though. At UCA I have been very fortunate to have access to printmaking resources including Screen-printing and letterpress printing. This has boosted my skill set to include
traditional printmaking techniques. I feel I am now ready to go out into the industry and start my Graphic Design career confident in myself. I will need to project this confidence to potential employers, but I truly believe I have something to contribute to their creative culture.