Page 1

Playford’s Past History of the Playford Council area 2011


Contents A message from the Mayor 1 The Bartlett family of Peachey Belt 2 Ian Bartlett

The Ivett brothers of Gawler Plains 4 Patricia Hunt & Jenny Smith

Celebrating 55 years of Housing SA in Elizabeth 7 Margaret Brand

Elizabeth Recollections 8 Heather Milhench

Post a memory 18 Symes of the Plains 20 Christopher Symes

Inspiring young minds; teacher of Uleybury school 23 David & Pam Gallery

The Krudop’s of Angle Vale 28 Daina Pocius

Note to readers The views expressed in the articles and other materials in this Journal do not necessarily reflect the views of the City of Playford.

A Message from the Mayor Glen Docherty

The City of Playford shall not be held responsible for statements or opinions expressed by the authors, nor shall the City of Playford vouch for the accuracy of any genealogical data. Cover photo: Elizabeth Birthday Celebrations 1959, marching team photo. Courtesy Heather Milnich.


Bartlett Family of Peachey Belt

Edmund Bartlett, aged 44, his wife Elizabeth (nee Bennett), 40, and their children, William, 20, Elizabeth, 16, Thomas, 14, and Edmund, 2 arrived at Port Adelaide on the “ Lord Raglan” on the 24th October 1854, having sailed from Plymouth on the 17th July. They were Government emigrants. The fares were £2 each for the parents and William, £1 for the daughter and 10 shillings each for the two youngest. Private passage was £18. The “ Lord Raglan “, of 923 tons, was built in Sunderland, UK, in 1854 and sailed to Australia again, in 1856. On 23rd February, 1863 it left Liverpool with migrants for Australia, and went missing, believed destroyed by fire. Edmund was born in Linkinhorne, on the Cornwall, Devon border and his wife in St. Cleer, Cornwall, a few miles south-west of Linkinhorne. They were married in St. Melor’s church, Linkinhorne in January 1834. The family settled at Peachey Belt, on section 3170, which is a parcel of 80 acres that now has Womma and Stebonheath Roads as its southern and eastern borders. Edmund set up business as a blacksmith, and just before he died, in October 1870, he sold his business, and land, to Joseph Blake, machinist, and undertaker, of Smithfield. The present day suburbs of Blakeview and Blake’s Crossing bear his name. Edmund is buried in the Zoar Cemetery on Argent road, Penfield. Elizabeth married Thomas Sluman Lyle, in Adelaide, in 1872 and lived at Glenelg until she died in 1895. She is buried in the West Terrace cemetery next to Thomas (died 1890), his first wife Sarah, and other Lyle relatives. William, a wheelwright, leased part of his father’s land between 1861 and 1867. On 1st February 1863, he leased sections 4109 and 4110, totalling 160 acres, and now bordered on three sides by Heaslip, Womma and Short Roads, from William Long for 7 years at £64 a year. William married Cornish born Jane Santo, in Adelaide, in 1857 and they had eight children between 1859 and 1873. Their youngest son, Francis, born 1872, is honoured on the Boer War Memorial in Adelaide, having died of fever in Pretoria, South Africa in 1900, whilst serving in the armed forces. The family moved to farm at Telowie, near Port Germein, in 1870. William was mysteriously drowned near the BHP wharf at Port Pirie in May 1888, a story covered at the time by both the Port Pirie Advocate and the Northern Argus. It is thought that he is buried at Port Pirie. Jane died in 1894, aged 59, and is buried in the Cheltenham cemetery. 2

Thomas married Rosina Blight at Gawler in 1861. Rosina’s parents, Francis and Mary, had arrived from Illogan, Cornwall on the “ Waterloo “ in November 1840 and Rosina, and her twin, Blanche, were born in Currie Steet, Adelaide, in 1841. After they married, Thomas and Rosina leased section 3164, now bordered by the Adelaide - Gawler railway line, Anderson Walk, Curtis Road and Coventery Road from Joseph Chwill, and later from S. Smitham, where Thomas carried on business as a blacksmith until 1863 when they relocated to Glenelg. In 1867 they moved to farm at Grace Plains, for eight years, then to 1360 acres at Stockyard Creek, (near Owen), for 22 years and then to Corcondo (near Hamley Bridge) in 1897 where they remained until 1910 when they retired to live in suburban Croydon. They had 14 children between 1862 and 1885. Thomas died, aged 75, in 1915 and Rosina in 1929 at the age of 87. They are buried at Cheltenham. Thomas donated land for the building of the Croydon Church of Christ in 1910 and Rosina had an association with the Churches of Christ for 55 years. Elizabeth, aged 16, married Scot, David Miller, 29, also a passenger, as part of the crew, on the “ Lord Raglan “, in Adelaide in 1855. He conducted a contractor’s business on the corner of Partridge Street and Jetty Road, Glenelg, working as a builder and carpenter and also acted as an undertaker. A nearby railway station on Jetty Road was known as Miller’s Corner. They had twelve children, all born in Glenelg, before Elizabeth died in 1876, at the age of 38. David married Helen Robertson in 1879, in Adelaide, and they had five children. David farmed 1100 acres next to Thomas Bartlett at Stockyard Creek between 1876 and 1890. He died in 1904 and Helen in 1924, aged 82. Elizabeth, David, Helen and many of their children are buried at St. Jude’s cemetery, Brighton. Edmund jnr, married Sarah Gilbertson in Adelaide in 1875 and they had seven children between 1877 and 1889. Edmund farmed 264 acres, near Owen, between 1882 and 1889. They lived in Kent Town and North Adelaide between 1904 and 1907 where he worked as a gardener. They were living in North Croydon when, in 1913, Sarah died, aged 59. Edmund continued to work as a caretaker, labourer and factory employee (at Booker’s Jam Factory) until 1925. He died, aged 90, in North Croydon, in 1942. Edmund, Sarah, and a son Harold Edmund, who died in 1904, aged 22, are buried in the Payneham cemetery. Ian Bartlett 3

Ivett brothers of Gawler Plains

Two brothers Henry and John Ivett sons of Henry and Jane Ivett of Bluntisham Cum Earith, Huntingdonshire, England, immigrated to South Australia and settled on the Gawler Plains. Henry Ivett along with his wife Sarah (nee: Squires) and their five children Jane, Elizabeth, Henry, John and Frances (all born at Bluntisham Cum Earith, Huntingdonshire, England) arrived in Port Adelaide on 14th June 1848, aboard the ship “Princess Royal”. John Ivett along with his wife Rebecca (nee: Rook) immigrated to South Australia on board the ship “Hydaspes” arriving in Port Adelaide on 27th November 1851. As mentioned above Henry and Sarah Ivett arrived in Australia during the month of June 1848. The exact date when they settled on the Gawler Plains is not known however written evidence states that Henry was a Farmer and resided and owned an 80 acre farm at Munno Para West, Section 3104 during the years 1852-1861.

“Sarah Ivett died age 46 leaving a young family without their mother...” A description of the property states that it contained a house and partly cultivated land. On 17th April 1854 at Brighton, Sarah Ivett died age 46 leaving a young family without their mother, the eldest child a daughter Jane would have been 15 years of age at the time and the youngest child also a daughter Frances 7 years of age. At present we are unable to discover where Sarah Ivett is buried. The following year on 16th October 1855, Henry Ivett remarried to Ann Mather at St Georges Church, Gawler. To our knowledge Henry and Ann had one child, a daughter Rebecca Ivett born on 17th June 1857, Gawler Plains. We assume that Rebecca was named after her Aunt Rebecca (nee: Rook).

Listed below are the marriage and death dates of Henry Ivett’s six children: Jane Ivett married Reuel Bentley 16th Nov 1852 Wesleyan Chapel, Adelaide Died aged 32 buried 8th Feb 1877 Willaston Cemetery, S.A. Elizabeth Ivett Died aged 44 years buried 15th April Willaston Cemetery, South Australia Henry Ivett married Martha Curtis on 31st March 1857 at his father’s residence Munno Para West, Gawler Plains. Died 19th Febuary 1871, Steelton (near Saddleworth), buried in the Pancharpoo Church Cemetery.S.A. John Ivett married Jane Gardiner on 7th October 1877. Died 13th July 1917 St Peters S.A Frances Ivett married John Denman 15th July 1857 Salisbury. Died 3rd January 1901 Maitland S.A. Rebecca Ivett married Alfred Edward Algar 7th January 1877, Salisbury Died 1st March 1917. It appears that Henry and Ann Ivett had a long happy life together as they both lived to be elderly. However, nothing is known of their life together only that it appears that they remained living on the Gawler Plains, unlike some of their children who moved away from the area. Henry Ivett died at Salisbury on 6th July 1883, aged 76’ but like Henry’s first wife we cannot find where he is buried. Ann Ivett died at Penfield on 23rd May 1898 aged 80 years and is buried at the Salisbury Primitive Methodist Church. As mentioned above John Ivett and his wife Rebecca immigrated to South Australia three years after his brother Henry and sister-in-law Sarah Ivett arrived. John and Rebecca took up residency in the same district as their brother and Sister-in-law, residing at Salisbury. They were members of the Salisbury Primitive Methodist Church for 30 years. Records indicate that John Ivett was a Circuit Committee Member of the Primitive Methodist Church in the year 1866, meaning that he was involved in the running of all of the Primitive Methodist Churches in the area. To our knowledge John and Rebecca did not have any children as a record could not be found when searching the South Australian Birth Registry.



It is interesting to note that both John and Rebecca are witnesses to brother Henry’s second marriage to Ann Mather, as their signatures appear on the marriage certificate. This therefore confirms that both brothers kept family contact. (Refer to figure 1). John Ivett died 19th September 1882 aged 59 and was buried at the Primitive Methodist Cemetery, Salisbury SA on 21st September, 1882. Rebecca Ivett died 9th March 1889, Salisbury SA, aged 64 years and is also buried at the Primitive Methodist Cemetery, Salisbury. Both John and Rebecca Ivett’s grave still exists in the Cemetery today. Patricia Hunt ( Melbourne Vic) and Jenny Smith (Whyalla S.A) Great Great Great Grandaughters of Henry & Sarah Ivett.

Fig. 1

Housing SA

Celebrating 55 years of Housing SA in Elizabeth Housing SA’s Elizabeth Office recently hosted a Memorabilia Day event to celebrate 55 years of Elizabeth history. A collection of photos were obtained, framed and displayed in the Conference room at the Elizabeth Office as part of the celebrations and included: • • •

the first signs advertising the establishment of a Satellite city and electricity to be installed the opening/naming of Elizabeth by Sir Thomas Playford the first street where Housing Trust properties were built in Elizabeth South and the first family to be housed.

The idea behind the photo display was to support the sense of pride Housing SA staff have of Elizabeth and to educate new employees what Elizabeth was like in previous years. The display also maintains the history of Elizabeth for future generations and employees. Staff members who have completed 20 years or more service were also recognised at the event and the Conference room was named in honour of the late Tom Pears who was the longest serving Regional Manager at the Elizabeth Office. A plaque was unveiled to honour Tom and has been erected at the entrance to the Conference room. The South Australian Housing Trust has played a significant part in the history of Elizabeth and was responsible for the Housing and provision of employment to new migrants. Elizabeth has grown over the years and has undergone numerous changes and continual development through projects such as the current Playford Alive and Elizabeth Park redevelopments to make it a safer, more appealing and sustainable place to live. Housing SA continues to be a major influence on the development of the area by partnering with a number of agencies including the City of Playford to enable this vision to become a reality. Margaret Brand




recollections and reflections I first visited Elizabeth on a hot summer’s day early in November 1957, about two weeks after my arrival in Australia from England, after a month long journey aboard the P & O ship S.S. Orontes. My family; mother, father and nine year old brother and myself (14 years old at the time) were accommodated in a migrant hostel in Adelaide on the banks of the Torrens River (approximately where the present Festival Theatre now stands). This two storey building was being used for short term accommodation for migrants like us who had agreed, before leaving England, to purchase homes in Elizabeth. Our family was sponsored by the S.A. Housing Trust on this understanding and our journey to Australia cost my parents the princely sum of £10 (approx $20) each. My father had arranged the transport of his 1955 Morris Minor car to Australia at a cost of £100 and I think our first trip to Elizabeth was made in this car along the single lane Main North Road. My first recollection of this visit was seeing the Elizabeth South Shops on Philip Highway, which were being officially opened that day (Dec 11 1957). I remember meeting Mr Emery; the owner of the grocery store who together with the chemist, Mr Norman Russell, became well known local identities. The person who guessed nearest to the correct number won the washing machine. This machine was similar to the one we had brought out with us from England so my father carefully measured the dimensions of the inside of our machine and then, armed also with details of the measurements of a bar of soap, sat down to calculate how many bars of soap would fit into the bowl of the machine. Unfortunately someone else’s calculation (or guess!) was slightly more accurate and dad won second prize — the soap!! But I digress – let’s get back to our first visit. 8

Heather Milnich

A representative of the Housing Trust showed us three houses, which were available for purchase, and my parents selected one at 6 Short Road, Elizabeth. I think the cost of this home was about £3,750 — approx $7500. Short Road runs off Philip Highway and is located almost opposite Elizabeth High School which opened in 1961. In November 1957 the houses in Short Road were the most northerly in the Centre and were surrounded by vacant land. Elizabeth’s population at that time was about 7400 with 1900 houses occupied. The Elizabeth Hotel, opened in August 1957 and demolished in October 1983, stood on a site presently occupied by parts of the Elizabeth Centre Shopping complex. There was no High School, Centre Shops, C.E.S (Centrelink), Telephone Exchange or Fast Food Outlets – just paddocks full of weeds, including lots of Salvation Jane. If I recall correctly there was only one main entry road into the central part of Elizabeth and that was via Ridley Road. This is now blocked off at Philip Highway but originally ran right through. There was no internal connecting road between Elizabeth North and South and so we had to go back onto the Main North Road to get between these two. Similarly the ‘back’ access to Salisbury was via the rather notorious ‘Glue Pot’ Road which passed through the area now occupied by the Holden’s Factory. Winter rains sometimes caused this road to become impassable – hence the name. We didn’t need to visit Salisbury very often but as Elizabeth was still under the control of the Salisbury Council (up until the early 1960’s) it was necessary to travel there for any council related business. The first industrial premises in Elizabeth was Pinnock’s sewing machine factory, on the corner of Philip Highway and Kettering Road, which opened shortly before we arrived, and that building is now occupied by Webster Manufacturing. There is an old iron shed still standing in the south west corner of these grounds which used to house the local motorcycle club, of which my husband was a member before 1957. Close to this shed was another building (now demolished) known as the Stud Farm. Until construction commenced on General Motors Holden in mid 1958 the “South Industrial Area” was just open paddocks.


During the hot summer months the bare ground became dry and the clay soil developed wide cracks. The hot northerly wind swept across the parched earth gathering large quantities of soil as it travelled over the plains resulting in regular dust storms (similar to the one encountered in May 1994). A common complaint of the Elizabeth housewives in those days was that the washing often came off the line dirtier than when it was pegged out! If it wasn’t the dust storm causing a problem then it was just as likely to be the water which often came out of the tap with a distinctly brown colour. Our brand new house was quite a novelty to our family as we had previously lived in a two storey farm house in the English countryside. This house was probably constructed about the mid 1700’s and had been added to over the years, a far cry from the modern compact bungalow into which we moved in the week before Christmas 1957. I remember being most intrigued that our new house had a room called “I remember being most a ‘laundry’ which was unknown in England at that intrigued that our new time. The farm house didn’t even have a bathroom house had a room called – just a bath with a curtain hanging around it in a a ‘laundry’’ very cold room known as our ‘back kitchen’, so we were also thrilled with a separate bathroom in our Elizabeth house. My father, a keen gardener, gradually won the battle against the weeds and the weather to establish a presentable amount of grass and shrubbery. The heavy clay soil however meant that we could no longer enjoy the delicious large variety of fresh vegetables which we had so much taken for granted in our English farm garden. However we were able to savour our own oranges, grapes and almonds, which was something new for us. Whilst still living at the Elder Park migrant hostel I had travelled to Enfield High School to enrol for the 1958 school year. Students of secondary school age who lived in Elizabeth had to travel to Enfield or Gawler High as there were no closer High or Technical schools. I choose Enfield as it happened to be the most convenient for me at the time when I needed to enrol. A special school bus was provided to transport students from Elizabeth to Enfield High and I recall that the journey took about an hour as we took a rather circular route. The Lewis Bros. bus was usually driven by John Lewis, a very quiet gentleman who rarely had much to say.


After travelling around Elizabeth we would proceed to Salisbury, collecting students from various points along the way. In those days a large collection of ‘cabin homes’ stood on land close to the Salisbury Railway Station. These very basic homes were first constructed in 1942 to house munitions workers during the war and were not intended to become permanent homes. However some were still standing (and occupied) in 1958 although all had been removed by 1964. Life as a teenager in Elizabeth in the late 1950’s was fairly uncomplicated compared with today. I was never afraid to walk the streets after dark and I can’t recall ever hearing of a house burglary or a car being stolen, although I’m sure that there must have been some crime in the area. There were already some sporting clubs operating and soon after my family arrived a Marching Girls’ Club was formed. This was named the Returned Soldiers League (RSL) Elizabethan Marching Girls’ Club, as it was sponsored by the local RSL. Several RSL members took on the task of instructing and I joined the Senior Team (Elizabethan Raleighs), under the instruction of exsergeant major Bill Baldock. Our instructor, although small in stature, drilled us with the same kind of precision he must have used in his army days for our team went on to win many competitions over the years. We practised one night per week in the car park of the Elizabeth South shops, next to the tiny Legacy Hall which was the RSL clubrooms and on Saturday afternoons we occupied an area on Ridley Road Reserve. I eventually became the leader of the Raleighs and then took over as instructor for a time, prior to my marriage in 1963. There were no ‘proper’ church buildings, but St Theodore’s (Church of England) Hall in Swan Crescent, Elizabeth South, was used as both a place of worship and entertainment. Father Howell Witt, the local priest, was a rather unconventional Welsh clergyman who dressed to suit the weather rather than the Church hierarchy. I remember the first time I took communion at St Theodore’s looking down and being rather surprised to see Father Witt’s bare legs with sockless feet in open sandals protruding from below his cassock. Whilst this attire would barely raise an eyebrow today, in the 1950’s, when observation of dress standards on a Sunday was rather strict (I would never have contemplated wearing trousers on this day!), Father Witt’s form of dress was considered quite daring.


As there was no nearby swimming pool we often used to travel to the beach at the weekends. The nearest pools were at Gawler or St Kilda – both of these were small concrete pools and the water was of questionable quality. I remember deciding to go to the Gawler pool, with my brother, for the school vacation swimming lessons. We had to walk to Elizabeth South to catch the train (there was no station at the Centre) and then walk some considerable distance from the Gawler station to the pool along a hot and dusty road. By the time I had repeated the trek back home I was feeling considerably the worse for wear and that was the first and last school swimming lesson I had.

Rev Witt leads a training session of young rugby players in the early 1950’s. City of Playford Local History Collection PH 0465

True to his native land Father Witt was a keen rugby follower and coached the local junior team whilst playing for the seniors. He was also a talented actor which helped to enliven his sermons and provided plenty of entertainment for the many social gatherings held at the church hall. He went on to become the Bishop of the North-West Australia (in W.A.) and wrote a book (Bush Bishop) which includes his experiences in Elizabeth. But perhaps Father Witt’s main claim to fame (during his time at Elizabeth) was narrowly missing death when the wall of the Elizabeth Roller Skating Rink fell in and just missed him. We had been having a church dinner at the skating rink on a rather wet and windy night and as Father Witt sat down, after giving his usual entertaining speech, the top portion of the end besser block wall began to bow and then collapsed onto the exact spot which had been occupied by the reverend gentleman only seconds earlier! The church youth group met on Sunday afternoons, initially in the St Theodore’s hall and later in the St Peter’s College Mission building in the town centre. I don’t remember much bible study although I do recall lots of group activities including Rock ‘n Roll dances (where Father Witt would invariably add to the fun by joining in the dancing). We also would meet at different people’s houses after evensong each week.


During the late fifties the Housing Trust and Police Station did not have proper offices but occupied houses in Ridley and Judd Roads. I think the Housing Trust was probably situated in the house at number 98 Ridley Road and the Police Station was located a few doors away but as I recall later moved to a house on the corner of Judd Road and Idmiston Street. I called into the Police Station one evening on the way home from marching practise, soon after my 16th birthday, to obtain my driver’s licence. From memory this entailed correctly answering at least eight out of twelve questions about the road rules. Having successfully done this I was immediately issued with a licence, which allowed me to drive without displaying ‘L’ plates or having any prior driving tuition. I also recall that the police officer was rather young and suggested that if I would like to wait until he had finished his shift he would drive me home! The Elizabeth Birthday Celebrations were held mid November and attracted just about every member of the Elizabeth community in those early years and the weather always seemed to be hot. On the Sunday prior to the Celebrations the Northern Zone Marching Competitions were held and these attracted a large number of teams. My team, the Raleighs, took out first place on several occasions and the perpetual trophy which we won is stored in the Elizabeth local history room.

i. Mr Cartwright awards trophy to Raleighs’ Leader (Heather King) at 1961 Birthday celebrations. Authors collection.

Mr Cartwright awards trophy to Raleighs’ Leader (Heather King) at 1961 Birthday celebrations. Authors collection.


Our marching club, along with many other community groups, always took part in the Elizabeth Birthday Celebrations Parade which seemed to attract a much more enthusiastic response from those watching the event than that of latter years. The ‘Miss Elizabeth’ competition was a focus of the Celebrations and believe it or not I was once an entrant! The other much sought after titles were those awarded in the baby competitions.

“My team, the Raleighs, took out first place on several occasions...”

In 1960 I began work in the satellite tracking section at the nearby Weapons Research Establishment (W.R.E). Those were the days when school leavers didn’t have to worry about unemployment and no-one ever contemplated not getting a job.

Flying the flag at the Elizabeth Birthday Celebration 1959

Most days I would catch the bus to work but sometimes I would walk across the paddocks opposite the Elizabeth South Railway station and enter W.R.E. via the pedestrian gate which still exists today. Satellites were still something of a novelty to the general public in 1960 and tracking methods were rather ‘quaint’, and somewhat laughable compared to the high degree of technology employed in that field today. Although my official classification was ‘computing assistant’ I (and my colleagues) were always referred to as ‘computers’ – even more laughable when you consider what computers can achieve these days. Under ‘Occupation’ on my marriage certificate it states ‘Computer’. The R.S.L Elizabethan Girls marching club


My main role was to compute (what else!) data which was received daily from the United States and issue predictions for satellite passes over Australia. In those days satellites were ‘tracked’ by ‘Moonwatch’ teams which comprised of volunteers located in several Australia State capitals.


Each day we would calculate the details (apogee, perigee, elevation, brightness) and time for satellites passes. With only the aid of a large map of Australia overlaid by a moveable piece of rigid Perspex, on to which we had hand drawn the satellite path with a crayon, we would decide which pass was most likely to provide the best sighting by the ‘Moonwatch’ teams. Once this was established the details were encoded as a series of numbers and sent by telegram to ‘Moonwatch’ leaders in the relevant cities. I often wonder if the girls who recorded the telegram for transmission thought that we were taking messages for some kind of spy network!

“We returned to Elizabeth by choice, not circumstance, and continue to live here although at times we are saddened by some aspects of life in this city.” I left Elizabeth in August 1963 upon my marriage and spent the next 6 years living interstate, as the wife of a RAAF serviceman. During those six years we would return to Elizabeth once or twice a year and could notice the visual changes each time we returned. Probably the most marked change was the way the houses were gradually ‘disappearing’ behind a screen of trees. In 1969 we returned, with our son and daughter, to live in Elizabeth and built a house close to the home my parents had purchased twelve years earlier.

Elizabeth has changed greatly since I first came to live here nearly 37 years ago. We now have many first rate facilities and a large shopping complex. Well maintained parks and sporting reserves have replaced the dusty open plains. Rows of similar houses have been renovated and added to over the years so that it is now not easy to see which were originally built to the same design. The standard fences which stood around front gardens in 1957, resembling a series of cattle yards as you viewed them in line along the street, have been removed and replaced with different designs, brick walls, hedges or nothing at all. Gradually the bare landscape, which was originally only broken by a few majestic gum trees towering above the houses, has been transformed into a ‘sea’ of green. Elizabethans should be truly proud of their ‘Garden City’. June 1994 by Heather Haqueline Meilhench (nee King) Address of first residence: 6 Short Road, Elizabeth

We returned to Elizabeth by choice, not circumstance, and continue to live here although at times we are saddened by some aspects of life in this city. Most of the early residents of Elizabeth were migrants who left their homelands to seek a better life for their families. Many, like us, still live here and they recall the early hardships, but also the feeling of comradeship as they battled together to make a new and better life. An early undeserved reputation as town of whingeing Poms’ has gradually diminished but now statistics show that Elizabeth is home to many socially disadvantaged families. Unfortunately this has led to yet another largely undeserved reputation – that of Elizabeth being an undesirable place in which to live. It is sad that, due perhaps to such a transient population, the sense of civic pride held by so many early Elizabethans is now not often evident.



Post a Memory “We stepped from the ship “Castel Felice” 19th October 1969 and I was carrying a camel coat in 90C We were sponsored by a couple in Elizabeth Field and were greeted with tumblers of Marsala with ice. We fell in love with the blue sky, beaches and hills. Still live in Elizabeth East and love this place.” Pauline

“Having lived in Elizabeth for 45 years I’ve seen a lot of changes. I attended Elizabeth High when Bob Booker was Headmaster. Elizabeth gave the world Doc Neenan, Jimmy Barnes, John Swan and Glen Shorrock. We have grown from “Pommieville” to a multicultural society. Few people know that Elizabeth has been the home of the oldest Rugby 7s competition in the southern hemisphere.” Sean

“I remember the dust storm. I was caught in it on the side of the road in a small Hillman motor car, with my wife and three small terrified children (41/2, 3 and 1). I also remember the heavy rain storm but not the date. What was then the Commonwealth Employment Service had a below street level car park, (Approx 30 Phillip Highway) where there is a medical clinic. This car park completely filled up like a giant swimming pool as the drain could not cope. About 130 motor cars were submerged to the roof lines. Chaos ensued.” Frank

“My parents immigrated to Elizabeth in 1959 and I was born at Lyell McEwin hospital in 1963. I always remember the sense of community that existed in those early years. One of my fondest memoires were of the late 1960’s to early 1970’s before the days when households had air-conditioning. On summer evenings many people in our street would wheel their tv’s out onto the front porch to escape the heat of the house. It was common practice then to walk up the street in the evenings to drop in on your neighbours for a chat, drink and to watch a bit of tv. You might visit several houses in one night. It was a great way to keep in touch with your neightbours and meet new ones.”

“The dust strom on 1967 was horrific. As a child, the family went of a Sunday drive on our 1954 FJ Holden. When we were outside Two Wells, it struck. Dad had to pull the FJ to the side of the road as visibility was nil. It was hot and stuffy inside the car and Dad had to put the dome light on inside the car as my little sister was getting quite frightened. We eventually arrived home safely later. But Mum was furious as she had left all the windows open 3 inches only to find ½ inch of dirt throughout the house.” Colin

Melanie Prunus Ave, Elizabeth Vale

“My memory is of when I was in the committee of Playford to get a skate park for the young youth. I was only 15 at the time, now I’m 25 and look how far the northern suburbs has come, the NSS building is a great place for all ages and genders to enjoy family days and other local events. Also look how far the might dogs have come too. Go you Dogs!” Bradley



Symes of the plains After 156 years there is still a connection between the ‘plains’ and one of the pioneering families, the Symes’. Symes is a well known family name in Gawler these days [but not many other places], and the Gawler Symes’ always said that their fore bearers originally lived “on the plains” meaning an area west-southwest of Gawler. A recent delve into the Playford Council’s Assessment Records confirmed the family’s folklore. James Symes was born 7th December 1817 in Baltonsborough, Somerset. He sailed to South Australia as a 22 year old in 1840 on the steel sailing ship the William Mitchell arriving 27 August in Port Adelaide. He was a bootmaker, plying his trade in Hindley Street Adelaide and he most likely lived in Walkerville according to the Colonial Residents Listing of the time. He married Lucinda Higgins in January 1847 at Holy Trinity Church, North Terrace, Adelaide and their first child, Thomas, was born in December of that year at Nailsworth. In 1850, James had a run in with the police, while celebrating St Patrick’s Day with two Irish friends, he apparently had too much to drink. The South Australian Register reported on Tuesday 19th March that he pleaded guilty to having taken a “Patrick’s Pot” too many and it was said that the group “in drowning their shamrocks they steeped their senses in forgetfulness”! While there was a plea for leniency none was forthcoming as the magistrate, Bonney CM imposed a fine of 5 shillings which was reported in these terms; “the severity of the decision (the season considered [that is St Patrick’s Day]) as unprecedented” in the memory of the oldest Irishmen in the police force!! James and Lucinda moved to establish a farm on Lot 3290 of the Munno Para West assessment on the south side of the Gawler River in 1855 with their four children (Thomas Henry, Emily, Walter Frederick and Alfred Joseph). The lot covered 99 acres and bordered Lucinda’s parent’s farm, Lots 110, 111 immediately adjacent to the Gawler River. James was apparently successful at the move from bootmaker to farmer. In the 1857 Gawler Agricultural and Horticultural Show he took first prize [of 3 pounds 3 shillings] in the category “8 bushels of wheat grown on the plains”. This is just two years after commencing farming on the plains.


James’ farming was not without incident. In 1863 James sued a neighbour for shooting one of his pigs, a sow. James claimed she was shot and burned on the riverbank. The Local Court sitting in Gawler found for James and awarded him two pounds in damages. It then appears the same neighbour sued James for permitting his pigs to escape and cause damage in the neighbour’s garden. The neighbour claimed the pigs ate 2000 pounds of grapes from the vines and melons. James argued that there were other people in the area who kept pigs and his were kept in a yard. The magistrate found for the neighbour and James was ordered to pay 3 pounds. James’ family grew with Lucinda giving birth to ten children between 1847 and 1866. Two children (Oliver James and Charles Stephen) died in infancy. Oscar John, Elizabeth Mary and Mary Matilda, Oliver James (again) were all born at Gawler River (aka Gawler Plains). In 1866 James was made bankrupt in the Insolvency Court. His property was sold at auction and it included 98 acres of growing wheat, 1 acre of barley, 2 iron ploughs, 1 pair of wooden harrows, 4 ducks, 4 fowls, 50 posts and railings, 50 loads of building limestone and a small stack of straw. A final dividend was paid 2 years later in 1868. James is featured in the minutes of the Munno Para West Council for payments they made to him for services that he provided. The services were to make clearances so that users would be able to cross the Gawler river at Wingate’s Crossing.

“The neighbour claimed the pigs ate 2000 pounds of grapes from the vines and melons.”

It was eventful life out on the plains. In 1884 James and his son Walter Frederick found a hat floating in the river and as they knew whose it was, they returned it to its owner. They found the owner slumped across his wife’s bed soaking wet and they established that he had accidentally slipped into the river with his 21 months old child. James returned to the river and found the drowned body of the child. Both James and his son were major witnesses in the trail of the father for the murder of his son.


A jury found the father not guilty. In another incident James had a horse collar stolen from his wagon at Clare in 1887 but there is no record that the thief was caught or the collar returned. In 1892 James was sued by a neighbour in the Local Court in Gawler. The neighbour’s cattle had trespassed onto James’ land and they had been impounded forcing the neighbour to pay a fee which he claimed was excessive. After much debate about the poor condition of the fences between them the court found for James. James’s wife Lucinda (aka Lucy) died on the plains in 1899 and James died on 13 April 1906, aged 88 in Gawler. Their family had spread to many parts including Victoria and locally to Gawler, Dublin and Willaston. One of the Playford Council’s library staff Abbie Klassmann is a third great granddaughter to James and she lives “on the plains” at Andrews Farm [part of Lot 4077 of the original Assessment map] a mere 6 kms from James’ farm. by Christopher Symes.

Inspiring young minds teachers of Uleybury school

George Mattingby was the first teacher employed at Uleybury school in 1856. A further 19 teachers were employed over the years until 1936. History Services volunteers Pam and David Gallery are currently undertaking a research project to learn more about the schools past through its teachers.

Margaret CLUCAS Uleybury school teacher 1892 - 1913 Margaret Lewin was born on 10th April 1843 at Marown, Isle of Man, U.K, the daughter of Thomas Lewin and Elizabeth Killey. Thomas was a blacksmith and Margaret had two older siblings, Anne, Elizabeth, John and Joseph and three younger brothers, James, Stephen and Robert. By 1861 Margaret’s mother had died and the eldest daughter Anne remained at home to care for the family. Margaret had become a dressmaker. Thomas had two apprentices and also a granddaughter living in the house in 1861. In 1881 Margaret was still single and working as a dressmaker on the Isle of Man, when she met and married John Clucas on 9th November 1881 at Marown. He was born in 1844 on the Isle of Man and already had a son Robert John Miller Clucas aged 10. They came to Adelaide in 1881 and not long after had a daughter, Amy Eleanor Mona born in 1882 in North Adelaide. John became a teacher with the Education Department. His first appointment was at Norwood in 1882 and then they moved to York Peninsula where John taught at Curramulka from 1883-4, Minlaton 1885-88, Paskeville 1888-89 and Warooka 1889-92. During these years two more children were born, John, at Curramulka in 1883, and Evan Lewin Beaumont in 1889 at Paskeville. The family moved to Gawler where Margaret joined the Education Department and taught at the Uley school from 1892 until 1913.



On 15th July 1913 a farewell social was given to Mr & Mrs Clucas at the One Tree Hill Institute Hall. Margaret retiring from 21 years of teaching at Uley owing to reaching the retirement age. John was a prominent worker for the Literary Society, Agricultural Bureau, Institute and Council. He also worked as Acting Deputy Returning Officer. Many speeches were given and musical items rendered. Mr. Clucas was given a purse of sovereigns from the residents of Smithfield and One Tree Hill. Margaret received a copper hot water kettle and stand from her late scholars. The retired couple then purchased a house in Penfield near their daughter Mrs William George Harvey. John’s first son, Robert John Miller Clucas followed in his fathers footsteps and became a pupil teacher at Minlaton and Sturt St school from 18861890. He was appointed as a teacher at Wallaroo in 1892 and then moved to Parkside 1893-1900. He studied Geology and Physics at Adelaide University in 1893. He resigned from teaching in 1900 and was appointed librarian at the University. He was also a lecturer in economic geography and had B.A. degree. He remained there until his death in 1930. He had married Alice Mabel Wallace but they had no children. Margaret died 28th August 1921 at 78 years of age at Fullarton. Her husband John died in Hutchinson Hospital Gawler on 7th January 1915 aged 71. They are both buried in St. George’s Anglican Cemetery Gawler. Researched by City of Playford History Services volunteer Pam Gallery


Nelson Thomas Berryman ROBINSON Teacher at Uleybury school 1934 - 1937 Nelson was born on 14th January 1902 at Mannanarie, southwest of Peterborough. His father was Daniel Thomas Robinson and his mother was Thomazine Mary Berryman. They were married on 3rd March 1880. Nelson had seven siblings – Chelsea Clark Richard 1881 (died at 2 years), Stanley Francis Wilkins 1883, Gordon Daniel Pellew 1886, Henry Edward Bright 1888, Alice Pearl Mary 1890, Hartel Oliver John 1894, Ruby Jane Eveleen 1898. Nelson’s father, Daniel died 18 May1933 aged 73 at Fullerton and his mother on the 19 February 1939 aged 80 also at Fullarton. Nelson married Marjory Rose Morris on 3rd December 1924 at Rosefield, Adelaide. They were both twenty-two years of age. A son, Brian Thomas Robinson was born on the 6th July 1926. Nelson began with the Education Department in 1929 at Cameron East School. The inspector said he was “interested, industrious, homely, moral and steadily improving.” In 1930 he was described as “sympathetic, encouraging with very good aids, but needs more dramatic skills.”

“...he was “interested, industrious, homely, moral and steadily improving.”

He stayed there until 1934 when he moved to Uley school. He was qualified to teach Elementary Agriculture and Woodwork as well as general subjects. He also obtained a St. John Ambulance Certificate in 1943. He was at Loose from 1937 until 1947 when he moved to Willowie where he remained until he took leave on 6th February.


Excerpts from Inspector’s Reports at Uley 1934. General Remarks: Mr Robinson has an uphill battle to fight in his endeavours to improve the school. 1935. General Remarks: The teacher is striving conscientiously to do his best for the children. He has made a very large collection of aids and his power to give an oral lesson is improving. His good moral influence is affected in the good done at his school. 1936. General Remarks: The friendly spirit that pervades the school is indeed commendable. The teacher is advised to make full preparation for girls working alone as well as for girls actually taught, and to infuse a little more briskness into his manner, and lastly to demand vigorous effort and a high standard from his pupils. Government: The kindly treatment meted out by the teacher has won for him the goodwill of his pupils. A happy friendly spirit and a healthy mind are praiseworthy features of the school.

The school was conducted along the lines of a church school until 1874 when it came under the jurisdiction of the government. The school was eventually renamed the One Tree Hill Primary School and transportable classrooms and other structures were erected and it remained in use until 1971 being the oldest school building still in use. Restoration was undertaken in 1978 and the building was opened as a museum in May 1979. The original school room is fully furnished and includes information, photographs and memorabilia of past students. The museum gives an insight into education of the past and old time school lessons are conducted.

He died in 1951 in Adelaide at the young age of 49. Researched by City of Playford History Services volunteer David Gallery

Uleybury School Museum Uleybury school was built in the early 1856 due to the efforts of Moses Bendle Garlick who approached the Central Board of Education requesting assistance to construct a school. The government offered £150 on the proviso that local residents would raise and equal amount. The estimated cost of the new school was around £400 and the governments offer fell somewhat short of the expectations of the locals. A local Parson, Reverend Butterfield donated the land on which the school was built.


Cornishman’s Hill Road, One Tree Hill, SA 5114 Open Sunday 1.00pm – 4.00pm or by appointment Cost: Entry by gold coin donation


Krudop family of Angle Vale

The Krudop family story in Australia begins with Luder KRUDOP, who was born in Wolda, Hanover, Germany, in 1823, the same year as Queen Victoria. His parents were farmers, an occupation he also entered when he was older . He worked with his parents until he immigrated to South Australia, at 23 years of age. Luder embarked on the 500 ton barque Pauline, under Captain Lüder Stelljes, from Bremen, Germany, leaving on the 30th May 1846. The cabin held six passengers and steerage held two hundred and five men, women and children. Concerted effort had been used to entice miners to emigrate to work at the Burra Mines. The passengers were originally reported to be miners, but in actual fact many of the men were mechanics and handicraftsmen. The four month journey came to an end when the barque arrived at Port Adelaide, on 27th September 1846.

“Gold fever had hit the colony”

The Barque Pauline

The long journey would have provided time for the passengers to become acquainted with each other. Some friendships lasted many years.

For a brief time, Luder lived and worked at Hope Valley with other German families who also travelled on the Pauline. It is noted in the Cyclopaedia of South Australia that he opened a public-house at Hope Valley, which he kept for some years. Luder however does not appear as licensee of any hotel. The first licensee of the Bremen hotel in Hope Valley was Herman Frederick Koch, so it is possible that they worked together. He is also noted to have worked the first reaper in the Colony for Mr. John Ridley, at Hindmarsh.

Luder did not waste time and quickly began working. He bought a team of bullocks, and was carrying for some time. He was naturalised on 20 January 1854, and he gave his residence as Pine Forest near Adelaide. His profession, as he had stated on the shipping list coming to Australia, was still farmer. Luder Krudop from the Cyclopaedia of South Australia


Not long after arrival in South Australia he purchased a piece of land at Hindmarsh close to Adelaide. On the ship Pauline were fellow German passengers Johannes Bussenchutt and Herman Koch. Johannes was also born in Walle, and aged 50 when he immigrated to South Australia. He brought his wife and five children, and the elder ones were around the same age as Luder. Another passenger Herman Frederick Koch was also born in Walle. They also boarded the Pauline with their five young children.

Gold fever had hit the colony and the prospect of becoming rich enticed many men to try their hand at gold prospecting. Luder went to the Victorian Diggings, where he stayed for twelve months, being fairly successful. On his return, he settled on the Gawler Plains, near Angle Vale, and took up about 640 acres of land, for some of which he paid as much as £12 per acre. He had 400 acres under cultivation, and the rest he used for grazing stock. His homestead was on section 3294, facing Angle Vale road. Thoughts of marriage and starting a family must have been on Luder’s mind. On 7 December 1852, Luder wed 17 year old Mary O’Grady at St Johns church, Adelaide. 29

Of his wife Mary O’Grady nothing is known, it can be assumed she passed away as Luder remarried. His second wife, a widow was born Louisa Higgins in 1832, presumably in England. Louisa was only a child of five when her parents Thomas and Mary and siblings, Thomas, Lucinda, Edna, and Henry, sailed from Gravesend to the new colony on the Navarino in 1837. A young bride at 17, Louisa had married Stephen Shutter on March 31st 1849 at Gawler. Stephen was born in Bath, England around 1812. The couple were married for ten years before Stephen tragically died on 6 July 1859 at Gawler. They farmed a property they named “Gum Park Farm” on the Gawler River. Stephen’s death was reported in the Register and the Argus newspaper. The details are as follows: FATAL ACCIDENT. - A correspondent forwards the following:-” We regret to announce that on Tuesday, the 6th inst., Mr. Stephen Shutter, a respectable farmer, living on the Gawler River, near Gawler Town, was accidentally killed by the wheel of his dray passing over his body. It appears that at about 5 o’clock in the evening deceased drew up his dray, drawn by two horses, in front of the gate at the Gawler Railway Station, and went into the public-house, kept by Mr. E Martin, where he stayed about 20 minutes and drank some nobblers of rum. He then proceeded on his way home walking by the side of his dray. He got as far as the residence of Mr. George Hillier, where the accident happened. It was then dusk, and Mr. Hillier who was drawing water from his well saw deceased walking by the shaft of his dray as he passed. Before he had drawn the bucket to the top of the well, he heard a groan, and ran to the spot, where he found deceased lying on the ground. The horses were going on at a steady pace. Deceased could not speak, but kept on groaning. With the assistance of two of his friends he carried deceased into his house, and went for medical assistance. After they got into the house deceased appeared to be sensible for a short time, and spoke, but did not allude to the accident. He died about an hour afterwards. From the marks on his body, it seems that, he must have fallen on his face, and the wheels passed over his back. An inquest was held at Mr. Hillier’s on the following day, before Mr. H. D. Murray and a jury, who returned a verdict of accidental death.”


From the South Australian Register reported in The Argus Wednesday 14 July 1858


Stephen was buried in the Gawler Pioneer Park. Although the cemetery no longer exists their names appear on the memorial lists. He is buried with his 10 week old son, Stephen. Louisa and Stephen had four children; 1.Emily Anna b. 17 Feb 1851 m. William LEE 18 Feb 1873 (9 children on the Gawler River) 2. Mary Matilda b. 13 Feb 1854 m. John BIRKETT 18 April 1878 (11 children at Evanston and Gawler River) 3. Thomas Shill b. 5 June 1856 m. Louisa Lavinia PARR 3 Oct 1878 4. Stephen b. 30 Nov 1858 d. 28 Jan 1859 (10 weeks) Luder and Louisa’s paths would have certainly crossed in the small farming community. Having four small children Louisa would have sought marriage. Stephen is reported to have died intestate. A case in the Court of law was conducted as to wether Louisa should receive all goods, chattels, credits and effects of her deceased husband. The couple married at the newly constructed St George’s Anglican church in Gawler on the 27 July 1859, almost a year after Stephen Shutter died. Louisa and Luder had five children; 1.Albert Charles Luder Krudop b. 29 Mar 1860 at Galwer Plains d. 20 May 1860 (2 months) 2. Editha Ann Louisa Krudop b. 29 April 1861 at Galwer Plains d. 15 May 1866 (5 years) buried in Gawler Pioneer Park 3. Laura Leslie Ada Adelaide Calina Krudop b. 7 Mar 1866 at Gawler Plains d. 10 July 1872 (6 years) 4. Clous Herbert Louis Newton Luder Higgins KRUDOP b. 12 May 1867 at Gawler Plains d. 31 Aug 1953 at Virginia buried at Willaston cemetery 5. Louisa Eveline Isabel Krudop b. 24 Feb 1871 at Gawler River. m. Adolph HEISE 8 Oct 1889 at St Peter’s Pauls church Gawler 32

Luder became actively involved with the local community. In 1873 he was appointed constable and also served on the local council for the District of Munno Para West in 1878. The family suffered a setback in 1878 after a fire burnt down their stables. An inquest was held due to suspected foul play. It was reported in the newspaper. CORONER’S INQUEST FIRE AT ANGLE VALE An enquiry took place on Thursday afternoon, April 18, at Mr. L. Krudop’s farm, Angle Vale, to ascertain the cause of a fire which destroyed about £250 worth of property belonging to Mr.Krudop on the night of Sunday, April 14. Mr. T. O. Jones was the Coroner, and Mr. B. Heaslip acted as Foreman. L. Krudop deposed that he went to bed at, 9 o’clock on Sunday evening, and at 12 he got up again to see if the cattle were all right. He stood under the verandah a minute or two, then returned to bed. Everything was safe and quiet at the time. Shortly after he heard, his stepson come in and go to his bedroom. About 40 minutes after he heard an alarm of fire, when he got up and went out undressed and saw the stable on fire. He dressed and went to the fire at once. Nothing could save the stables. The stack of hay and hayhouse were not on fire then, but caught fire soon after. There were only his own people assisting. Saved the storehouse and wagons, but lost 20 sets of harness, a stack of hay (25 tons), the stable and sheds, and chaffcutter. Did not think it was accidental, as the night was damp from a heavy dew. His men fed the horses at 9 o’clock. Only one of the men smoked, and then never in the stable. He gave the lucifer match to light the candle for the men to go to the stable, and they took the lantern with them to their bedroom. Both were very careful. Believed the place was set on fire. Chas. Bray, workman, said he fed the horses at a quarter to 9 o’clock with Flowers, the other man who brought the lantern into the stable. Had no matches and did not smoke outside during the evening. Never carried matches. Took the lantern to their bedroom, and went to bed at 9 o’clock and fell asleep at once. Flowers went to bed at the same time. The night was light from the moon, but there was a heavy dew. Was awakened by a light shining in his window at about 1 o’clock. Jumped up and saw the stable burning. Ran out and shouted “ Fire,” and ran for help. Saw no person about when he got up. Tried to save as much property as he could with the others. Did not think the fire was accidental. 33

Heard no threats used against Mr. Krudop and knew of no ill-feeling against him. Everything was safe when he went to bed, and he saw no person about then. Flowers, another servant man, corroborated, and said he never heard any threats against Mr. Krudop. Believed the fire was not accidental, as every one about the place was careful, and Mr. Krudop swept all the straw away and cleaned the place up on Saturday. Thos. Shutter, stepson to Mr. Krudop, said he came home from Mrs. Parr’s shortly after 12 o’clock on Sunday night. It was a light night, with a heavy dew. He came across the paddock, and in by the back door, and went to bed without a light. Saw no person about as be came home, but did not go into the yard, as everything seemed quiet and safe. Was asleep about 40 minutes before hearing the alarm of fire. Got up and ran out before dressing, putting on his clothes in the yard. Saw the stable on fire. Believed the place was set on fire. Had some bad people living about. Believed they were bad enough to burn the place. Had no suspicion of any person in particular. Heard a person going by on horseback just as he was leaving Mrs. Parr. Believed it was his cousin, he would not do them an injury. His cousin knew he was at Mrs. Parr’s. He would go to his home by another road, and would not pass Mr. Krudop’s. He would have passed the place ten minutes before 9 if he came that way. He did not suspect his cousin, its he knew he would not do such a thing. The Coroner summed up at some length, pointing out from the evidence the suspicious nature of the fire, and expressing a hope that the police would take the matter up. The Jury found “That the fire originated under suspicions circumstances, but there is no evidence to show how it occurred.’’ Monday 27 April 1878 The Advertiser

Krudop house at Angle Vale PH:09898


Louisa died on 5th November, 1899 aged 67, at Gawler River; and Luder lived on to be 100 and 5 months old when he passed away near Angle Vale on the 24th June 1920. He made the papers on his 99th birthday with a brief biography about his life. Mr. Krudop, of Angle Vale, celebrated his ninety-ninth birthday on Saturday last says the Gawler “Bunyip”). He was born near Hanover in 1819 and came to South Australia in September, 1846, thus being a colonist of 72 years. The old gentleman’s still hale and hearty, and gets about his own property at Angle Vale. His wife died 20 years ago. The family consists of one son and one daughter--Mr. Newton Krudop and Mrs A Heise Port Adelaide. The Advertiser Saturday 2 November 1918 On his 100th birthday it was recorded in the Advertiser (Friday 25 June 1920) his passing. Luder was in his full possession of his faculties and his sight and hearing were good. He was treated to a motor ride on his birthday, the first of his life. He was interred at Gawler. Luder was survived by his son Newton who never married and had no children. His daughter Louisa married Adolph HEISE on 8 Oct 1889 at St Peter’s Pauls church Gawler. Adolph was born in Adelaide, of German parents, he is listed as a fruiterer and publican. It could be said that hoteliers ran in the family as Louisa is recorded as licensee of the Wheatsheaf hotel at Virginia with Mrs Eugene Maud Campbell from 1929 to 1936 and then again from January 1942 to March 1951. Louisa’s husband Aldoph and relative Edward were the licensees with Campbell until 1984. Adolph died aged 56 years in 1922, Louisa living until her 81 year, passing away at Virginia in 1952. They raised two children, Eugene Maud born 9 July 1890 and Christopher William Krudop born 26 Dec 1892. Christopher was only 20 when he died, a loss that his family felt deeply. His mother and sister put a memorial in the newspaper.


HEISE.—In loving memory of our only dear son and brother, Christopher William Krudop Heise, who passed away at Port Augusta, November 20, 1912. In the bloom of his life God claimed him, In the pride of his manhood days. None knew him but to love him, None mentioned his name but to praise. Do not ask us if we miss him, There is such a vacant place; Can we e’er forget his footsteps, And his bright and loving face. In thought he is ever with us, His voice we long to hear, No one knows how much we miss Our darling boy we loved so dear.—R.I.P. —Inserted by his loving father, mother, and only sister, Maud. The Advertiser Thursday 20 November 1913

Thomas Keith Shutter became a member of the District Council of Enfield. A tailor by trade he was actively involved in the Prospect Masonic Lodge and North Adelaide Football Club.

It appears that Louisa’s children from her first marriage were raised by Luder, living and working with them on the farm. The eldest son Thomas married a neighbours daughter in 1878. They had seven children. The marriage notice in the paper reads;

Aldine History of SA Kessel family tree =I1548&tree=T1&PHPSESSID=a7d147ad86b888f69aaa296fef184b70 SA Family History site www.familyhistorysa. The Argus Wednesday 14 July 1858 The Advertiser Saturday 5 October 1878 The Advertiser Wednesday 5 November 1902 Digger - South Australian Births 1842-1906 (c) SAGHS Wikipedia John Ridley National Library of Australia – newspapers Biographical Index of SA National Archives of Australia Town of Gawler cemetery records, available online Cyclopedia of South Australia The South Australian Government Gazette Oct 7th, 1858 p735 Civic Record of SA 1936 Port Adelaide Enfield Library Photographic collection Publicans of South Australia by Hoad

SHUTTER—PARR.—On the 3rd October, by licence, at the residence of the bride’s mother, by the Rev. Joshua Foster, Thomas Shill Shutter, the eldest and only surviving son of the late Mr. Stephen Shutter, of Gum Park Farm, and stepson of Mr. Luder Krudop, to Miss Louisa Lavinia Parr, fourth surviving daughter of the late Mr. John Parr, of Gawler River The Advertiser Saturday 5 October 1878 Their children; 1. Alice Levinia SHUTTER b. 1881-08-19 at Angle Vale m. Frederick John PEARCE 29-04-1914 at Methodist Church Enfield 2.Blanche SHUTTER b.1883-11-09 at Angle Vale m. John TURNER 04-06-1904 at Res of Mr Shutter at Enfield 3.Stephen Parr SHUTTER b. 1885-11-03 at Angle Vale 4.Thomas SHUTTER b.1888-05-13 at Angle Vale d. 21-05-1888 (1 week) at Angle Vale 5.Thomas Keith SHUTTER b. 1889-10-01 at Angle Vale 6.Doris SHUTTER b. 21-08-1892 at Angle Vale m. Percy LEWIS 07-10-1916 Methodist church at Enfield 7.Joyce Ann SHUTTER b.1896-03-30 at Burton 36

Luder as a young man had the desire to work hard and carve a place for himself in the new colony. He was fortunate to have had the support of friends from his hometown in the early years, with whom he worked and lived for a time. He married had children was a father to his second wife’s children and a successful farmer. He was blessed with longevity and was able to watch his family grow and expand and develop the area of Angle Vale. References

Research by Daina Pocius City of Playford Heritage Co-ordinator


History Services The History Service is located in the Elizabeth Civic Centre Library and provides resources and assistance for people who are researching the history of the local area and for those interested in tracing information about their own family’s history. The collection comprises local material relevant to the suburbs and townships within the city. History Service staff and volunteers are on hand to assist with your research needs and to share with you the history of the local area. Preserving our history As we are expanding the collection continuously, donations of material relating to the area, such as diaries, programs, artifacts, club newsletters are valuable ways of documenting the history of the City. Any information that tells us about early settlers, buildings, events or businesses in the district is vital to the collection. Much of the material in the collection is irreplaceable and may only be accessed with the help of staff. Additional services There are many additional services available through the History Service including: • Outreach programs • School projects, tertiary and university research • Family history research • District information and referrals to heritage agencies • Conservation advice to help preserve your own material • Group bus tours to local areas of historical interest • Visits to schools within the city • Local history displays

History service fees & charges Item


Elizabeth: from Dusty Plains to Royal Names


City of Playford: A Brief History


Greeting Cards

$10 for pack of 5

Photographic Reproduction up to A4

$6.20 per page

Photographic Reproduction up to A3

$8.50 per page

Local History Research Fees

$10.00 per half hour

Microfiche Prints

$1.10 each

Uleybury School Visits

$1.20 per child

Heritage Surveys—Munno Para


Heritage Survey—Elizabeth


History Services run a yearly program of events that focus on local and family history. To keep up to date with what is happening, refer to the Library’s website, the City of Playford’s publication “North is up” or join us on facebook.



Playford’s Past Historical Journal Guidelines

The articles must relate in some capacity to the City of Playford. This includes the now defunct Councils of Munno Para and Elizabeth. • The City of Playford does not pay for contributions. • We prefer articles typed and submitted electronically in MS Word via email or CDROM. Please no formatting. Images are preferred in jpeg format. • Articles will remain the copyright of the individual authors. Where the author is not stated, copyright remains with the City of Playford unless otherwise stated. • The Journal will publish only original articles and research papers. Every contribution should be the author’s own original work, and should not constitute a substantial repetition of work already published or to be published elsewhere. • A short paragraph about the contributor(s) to be included with the article. The City of Playford retains the right to edit and proofread the article. Any changes to the article will be forwarded to the contributor for approval. Submissions can be handed in at the Playford Library, posted to the Heritage Coordinator at the City of Playford or emailed to by June 2012. Please contact the Heritage Coordintor regarding any questions about the journal: Daina Pocius Heritage Coordinator City of Playford Library Service Tel: 08 8256 0382 Email:


Playford's Past History Journal  
Playford's Past History Journal  

Annual history journal from the City of Playford.