Thursday, January 19, 2012
thursday
City to convene meeting on future of State School property LACONIA — Planning Director Shanna Saunders said yesterday that city officials expect to convene a meeting about the future of the former Laconia State School property on North Main Street next month. No specific date has been set. Saunders said that representatives of those who expressed interest in the property at two prior public see Lss page 8
VOL. 12 nO. 164
LaCOnIa, n.h.
527-9299
FrEE
Arts group gives up on Colonial purchase By Michael Kitch THE LACONIA DAILY SUN
LACONIA — In a formal statement issued yesterday, attorney Rod Dyer, chairman of the Cultural Arts Center of the Lakes Region committee, announced that the group has abandoned its effort to purchase the Colonial Theater after failing to reach agreement for a reduction in price
with its owner, Patricia Baldi. Expressing “profound regret” at the outcome, the statement added that, “We do not regret the time and effort spent on this endeavor. We believe that this was probably the last best opportunity to purchase the Colonial.” In 2009, then City Manager Eileen Cabanel, with $15,000 from an anonymous bene-
factor, took an option to purchase the theater and adjoining properties for $1,470,000. Originally the term of the option was 18 months, but it was subsequently extended for another six months and is set to expire in April of this year. Meanwhile, last spring the Arts Center board, a group of 12 members, was formed by Cabanel with City Council’s blessing to shepsee COLONIaL page 10
Numbers from Gilford teen survey aren’t new but shock is
A cat in a hat attracts attention
By Gail OBer
THE LACONIA DAILY SUN
Catherine McLaughlin as “The Cat in the Hat” performs along with the Wickersham Brothers during dress rehearsal for Gilford Middle School’s production of “Seussical” at the GHS auditorium on Wednesday. Performances of the musical be be Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights at 7 p.m., with a matinee show on Saturday at 2 p.m. (Karen Bobotas/for the Laconia Daily Sun)
GILFORD — The findings of the 2009 Youth Risk Behavior survey will soon be available on both the town’s and the School District’s websites. Although the results were released two years ago and reported by local newspapers at the time, Lisa Morris of the N.H. Partnership for Public Health and Deb Laliberte of the Gilford Drug Task Force addressed the selectmen last week to see if they could drum up some awareness of the problem by getting the results posted on Internet. With Morris and Lalsee GILFOrd page 10
Final House redistricting plan keeps Laconia’s 6 wards together By Michael Kitch THE LACONIA DAILY SUN
CONCORD — The redistricting plan adopted by the New Hampshire House of Representatives yesterday spared Ward 4 from being severed from Laconia and attached to Belmont and Gilmanton, but reduced the city’s House seats from five to four. Fuel Oil OIL & PROPANE CO., INC. 10 day cash price* The plan fails to ensure Laconia 524-1421 subject to change the towns of Gilford, Mer-
3.69 99**
edith and Tilton, which all enough people to warrant at least one seat, of dedicated representation. Originally the House Special Committee on Redistricting proposed that Wards 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 would elect four representatives at-large and Ward 4 would join Belmont and Gilmanton in a district where four representatives would be elected at-large. Representative Frank Tilton (R-Laconia) said yesterday that together with his colleagues from the city — Don Flanders,
Harry Accornero and Bob Kingsbury — he met with William O’Brien, Speaker of the House and Representative Paul Mirski (R-Enfield), chairman of the Special Committee on Redistricting earlier this week, seeking to persuade them to keep the six wards intact. Tilton said that he suspected the committee had already addressed the issue with an amendment. Under the plan adopted by the House the voters of all six wards in Laconia would see hOusE page 11