Page 1







Abacus labs

Academic Status

All students commence their course with an Academic Status of Good Standing. However, less than satisfactory academic performance will result in a review of the status to either Conditional or Terminated. Good Standing – The student is achieving satisfactory course progress and is permitted to continue in the course and re-enrol.

• Students on a status of Good Standing have a Semester Weighted Average (SWA) of 50 or higher

Conditional - The student is at risk of not achieving satisfactory course progress but is permitted to continue in the course and re-enrol, under such conditions as may be determined by the Head of School.

• Students on a status of Conditional generally have a SWA of less than 50 or in the study period just ended, failed 50% or more of the units the student was enrolled in.


See Computer Access on page 15.

Terminated – The student has not achieved satisfactory course progress and is terminated from the course. The student is not permitted to continue in the course or to re-enrol in the course without approval from the Director, Student Services.

A student on a status of Terminated:

• normally would have been enrolled for at least 2 study periods • have a current status of Conditional • and in the study period just ended

attained a Semester Weighted Average of less than 50.00 or

• failed 50% or more of the units the student was enrolled in.

The above policy is under review, you are strongly recommended to check online for possible changes: au/students/status.cfm

Academic support AusAID Students

If you are an AusAID student and believe you may fail a unit, you can apply for AusAID-funded tutorial support of up to nine hours per semester. Forms to request this tutorial assistance are available from the International Sponsored Student Unit (ISSU) or from You will be required to complete the form with a recommendation from your course co-ordinator/ supervisor for an appropriate tutor. Completed forms should be returned to the ISSU.

A International Students If you are on an international student visa a terminated status could mean possible cancellation of your visa. For more information contact the International Student Advisers: Tel; 9266 2434 Email:

CBS Communication Skills Centre The CBS Communication Skills Centre provides a free support service for all students enrolled in Curtin Business School. The Centre has a number of Academic Advisers who provide communication and academic study skills support in a number of ways:

Help with English See UniEnglish on page77.

The Learning Centre The Learning Centre (TLC) offers a comprehensive range of free learning programs and resources to all Curtin students at all stages of their accademic journey. Wheather you’re a first year student wanting to manage your time better or a PhD student wanting to give a winning edge to your thesis, TLC can help you perform to your full potential.

You can come along to our faceto-face Study Plus and Power Plus programs, writing workshops and week seminars or access our growing series of online resources and interactive programs. For details on these and other TLC services, explore our website

Academic Transcript

• Student workshops on academic writing, spoken communication, study skills and professional communication • Weekly academic writing classes • A weekly conversation class • Individual consultations to assist students with academic issues and provide guidance on how to improve their assignments Opening Hours : Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm (other times by special arrangement) Location: Building 407, Room 202 Tel: 9266 3079

Fax: 9266 3096 Email: cbs-comskills@cbs.curtin. communication

A full Academic Transcript will be forwarded free of charge to all graduating students following the conferral of their degree. Nongraduating students who require an Academic Transcript (on official Transcript paper) can contact the Customer Service Unit. The cost


A of an official transcript is $10. An unofficial Academic Transcript (Academic eRecord) can be printed through eStudent. Students who have a sanction or exclusion placed on their record (e.g. outstanding fees, library fines) will not be able to access their results or be provided with an Academic Transcript until they have cleared the sanction or exclusion.


Supplementary Statement of Achievement The Supplementary Statement of Achievement is an official document issued by the University that recognises achievements or involvement in Curtin related activities. These activities may include scholarships, volunteer work, student mentoring, representing Curtin in high-level sporting events, prizes and awards. The Supplementary Statement of Achievement is issued separately from, and in addition to, the Academic Transcript. For information on other official documents, administration/documents_ request.cfm


Curtin provides a comprehensive housing service to its students and staff, with nearly 1,200 places available for student accommodation on the

Bentley campus and an extensive database of private accommodation options. Staff in the Housing Advisory Services Office can assist with applications for on-campus residency and locating offcampus accommodation, and can provide information about tenancy legislation, connecting utilities, home insurance, renting furniture and much more. Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.45pm Location: Building 103 Tel: 9266 4430 Fax: 9266 7455 Email: Note: Curtin also provides on campus accommodation in Kalgoorlie, Northam and Miri campuses.


Every student who graduates with a degree from Curtin automatically becomes part of Curtin’s alumni network – without fee and for life. Curtin has over 150,000 members in more than 100 countries and each year welcomes over 6,000 new graduates to its global community. Staff at the Office of Alumni Relations are committed to keeping the alumni network


healthy, strong and connected. They facilitate a variety of activities that can open up a world of opportunities to Curtin graduates and assist in maintaining lifelong relationships between former students and friends of the University. Alumni Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am – 4pm Location: Building 100 Tel: 9266 3113 Fax: 9266 7527 Email:

Appeals and Complaints

The Guild’s Student Assist Support Service and the University Counselling Service are also available for one-on-one advice concerning appeals. For more information: rights/appeals/index.cfm

The ‘askcurtin’ link is available from the Important Links channel on the Welcome tab within the OASIS application. ‘askcurtin’ for future students and visitors is a public interface with FAQs tailored to potential students and visitors of the University and is available from the Future Students website. This website includes information to assist future students and opportunities to obtain help with choosing a course of study and deciding on a career path.


Curtin University Bookshop The Curtin University Bookshop stocks a wide range of textbooks, stationery, newspapers, magazines, novels, cards, art materials, computer equipment, software and much more. Curtin text book lists can be accessed via

Students have a right of appeal against academic or administrative decisions or can lodge a complaint if they feel they have been unfairly or improperly treated.

‘askcurtin’ an Online Self Service

‘askcurtin’ is a universitywide online self service consisting

of Frequently Asked Questions on a wide range of topics and the facility to ‘email a question’ to Curtin advisers. There are two parate interfaces of ‘askcurtin’, one for future students and visitors, and one for current Curtin students.  ‘askcurtin’ for current students has a range of FAQ’s relevant to studying at Curtin and can only be accessed by Curtin students through the online communications tool called OASIS.


B OASIS before the start of semesters. You can access your book lists via the unit outlines channel on the ‘my studies’ & ‘eVALUate tab’ in OASIS. You can place orders online and pay by credit card to avoid queuing. Orders can then be collected from the Customer Service Counter on the first floor of the Bookshop, or posted for a fee. Orders for books that are not in stock can be placed at the Customer Service Counter on the 2nd floor of the Bookshop. A 20% non-refundable deposit is required and you will be notified when your order arrives. When purchasing textbooks and course material, students must present their Student ID Card. The Bookshop accepts cash, credit, cheque, money order and EFTPOS.


Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday, 8.30am – 5pm (open till 6pm for the first two weeks of semester 1 & first week of semester 2) Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm Location: John Curtin Centre, Building 200 Tel: 9266 3469 Fax: 9266 3188 Guild Second-Hand Bookshop The Student Guild operates a second-hand bookshop where students can buy and sell used textbooks and other study

equipment including lab coats, calculators and lecture pads. Second-hand textbooks can be purchased for a maximum of two thirds of the cost of new books. The second-hand Bookshop offers an online database via their website, which allows students to search for books. There is a small commission charged to use their services to sell books. This commission is discounted for Guild members. Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9266 2909 Email: bookshop@guild.curtin. Bookshop Grants If you are struggling financially and need assistance buying your text books, the Guild provides a number of grants each semester to students on low incomes. Applications are open in the first few weeks of semester, and are available from Guild Reception. See Student Guild, page 67 for contact details.

Building Numbers

All Curtin buildings are named and also numbered. Specific rooms or locations on campus are referred to by their building number, level then room number. For example, Building 402.310 means Building 402, Level 3, and Room 10.


Lost? Check the Bentley Campus Map online: http://properties.curtin.

you would like your university degree to take you.

To help, the Careers Centre provides a range of services designed to build your professional and personal skills base and to assist with your career planning process. We can speak to you by phone, or we can be in contact by email. If you are in Perth we can also organise one-to-one appointments for you.

Services include:

Calendar and Handbook

The Curtin Calendar and Handbook is available at It contains the University’s rules and regulations as well as course outlines. Students should consult this publication for detailed information about courses and units.

Campuses Information

For more information on Curtin’s local, regional, interstate and off shore campuses please refer to campusinfo

Careers Centre

It is never too early to start thinking seriously about your career. The Careers Centre offers support and advice at any stage of your studies; helping you discover what you really want to do, assisting with job applications (including part-time and vacation work) & understanding the world of work, and of course providing guidance as you develop a career plan for the future. Take the time early in your studies to explore the website and think seriously about where

• Your exclusive web-based Job Board, detailing hundreds of positions available for current students and graduates. • Advice on career direction, job opportunities and labour market trends. • A comprehensive Job Application Checking Service, including resumes, cover letters and selection criteria. • Advice on work experience, internships, and volunteering: building skills to give you an advantage in the job market. • Free career workshops, career activities and events. • Employer visits to the Bentley campus throughout semester. • Access to careers resources, both print and online.

In addition Curtin conducts a major Careers Festival in March


C and a number of targeted Career Fairs throughout the year. We also organise Global Connections Month where all students can explore international career opportunities and learn about the labour markets of different countries and their job application procedures.


Increasingly, employers are looking for graduates with more than just great marks. They want someone who is passionate and enthusiastic about their chosen industry a graduate who can think creatively and use their initiative to solve problems. Employers want an individual who can demonstrate they have a genuine desire to contribute to their business and the community as a whole. Just completing your degree won’t guarantee you the job of your choice!

Bentley and try Career Voyage.

The Curtin Careers Centre can help you to maximise your investment in your education! For further information contact: Location: Building 599 Tel: 9266 7802 Fax: 9266 3847 Email:

Career Voyage

Unsure of what you can do with your degree? Want to change courses but not sure what to change to? Why not come to the Curtin Future Students Centre at

This computer program assesses your likes and dislikes and then suggests up to 40 potential careers that could be for you! This is a free service and you will receive a printed report along with advice from trained counsellors about future career paths. Allow at least an hour to get the most benefit from the consultation. Location: Curtin Future Students Centre, Building 102 Tel: 9266 1000 Fax: 9266 3331 Email: futurestudents@curtin.


All monies payable to the University are generally received by the University Cashiers. The University Cashiers are able to accept cash payments over the counter up to a maximum of $200 while larger payments will need to be made by EFTPOS, credit card or cheque. You are encouraged to pay your tuition fees via BPay or Post Billpay, or in person at an Australia Post outlet to avoid long queues and waiting times. The opening hours for the University Cashiers are: Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm Location: Building 101, Level 2 Tel: 9266 2041


Cell Phone Access

Census Dates

See CurtinMobile on page 21.

You will often hear the term ‘census date’ referred to in relation to enrolment. The census date is the date by which you must ensure your enrolment is correct. From this date your final financial liability is calculated and you are not permitted to change your enrolment except for withdrawing from a unit. If you withdraw after this date you will incur the financial liability and the unit will show on your Academic Transcript with a grade of ‘WD’ (Withdrawn). 2010 census dates for semester 1 and 2 are as follows:

• Semester One: 31 March • Semester Two: 31 August

For census dates of other study periods please refer to: administration/dates/census.cfm.


Centrelink is a government agency delivering a range of Commonwealth services to the Australian community. There is a Centrelink branch on the Bentley campus that students can go to for Youth Allowance and Austudy new claims and enquiries, as well as Pensioner Education Supplements and ABSTUDY enquiries.

Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 13 24 90

Changing Personal Details Changing your address Please ensure the University always has your up-to-date contact (address/phone/email) details, both for your semester address and your permanent home address. Addresses can be updated in eStudent via OASIS, however students who are eExempt (those students without the ability or resources to access the internet) can change their address at Student Central by completing a Change of Address form, or at a Faculty Student Services Office. If you are a new International student, you are required to provide your Australian residential address to If If you are a new International student, you are required to provide your Australian residential address to the University within seven days of arrival. If you change your address any time during your studies at Curtin, it is a Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) requirement that you provide this new address to the university within seven days of moving. When returning home for the semester break, you must ensure that your address is changed to your preferred



address before departure. Upon returning to Perth you must also ensure that your address is updated to your Australian address. As well as being a condition of the student visa, maintaining current contact address details on the university system is vital for receiving tuition fee and other important correspondence relating to your studies and/or student visa. If you are leaving for a short period you are advised to arrange for somebody to collect mail on your behalf.


Changing Your Name Requests to change your name can be made by completing a Change of Personal Details form and providing original or certified copies of primary documentation (eg passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate). Photocopies of certified copies are not acceptable. Change of personal details forms are available from Student Central, Student Services Offices or can be downloaded from the quick forms channel on the “my studies and eEvaluate” tab in OASIS.

Childcare Centre – Curtin Early Childhood Centre Curtin has a Childcare Centre on the Bentley campus with part-time and full time care for children aged

from six weeks to five years. The purpose built Centre has a team of caring and dedicated professionals motivated to provide the highest level of care daily for 120 children. This Centre proudly participates in the National Quality Improvement and Accreditation System. The Centre has individually tailored programs for each child. A qualified chef caters for any dietary needs and meals are included. Early application is recommended. Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 7.30am – 6pm Location: Chessell Road Bentley, Building 003 Tel: 9266 7459 Fax: 9266 3742 Email: childcare@exchange.curtin.

Clubs and Societies

There are more than 80 Guild clubs at Curtin, with interests ranging from architecture to beer appreciation and beyond. Clubs and Societies are responsible for running many student events, activities, trips and functions each semester, and collectively support around 3000 Curtin students. The Guild actively supports students in establishing new clubs and societies. Students


are encouraged to explore Curtin’s clubs and societies. For an up-todate list and more information, contact the Student Guild see page 67. or visit

Computer Access

Abacus Labs Curtin provides open-access computer facilities in the Abacus labs, which are located on the ground floor of Buildings 303, 408 and 501. Together, these labs can accommodate over 370 students. You may use the computers in these labs for doing assignments, handling email and searching the Internet. Printing and scanning facilities are also provided. To gain access to the labs, you must swipe your Curtin Student ID card.

To log onto the computers you must be currently enrolled and have activated your OASIS account. The Abacus labs are open 23 hours a day, seven days a week all year round. They are closed for cleaning between 5.30am to 6.30am daily. You must vacate the labs during this period.

During semester, Abacus help desk staff is available from 9am to 9pm on weekdays and from 1pm to 5pm on weekends.

The help desk staff can assist you with the following:

• The OASIS student portal • Using the Internet

• Printing and scanning • Software such as Microsoft Office • The FLECS Blackboard learning management system • ICT resources for students

For more information visit: or OASIS Central: 9266 1222

Computer Help

PC CHAMPS Personal Computer Coaching and Help aimed at Mature-Age Persons. Basic computer skills are essential for your success at University. Curtin students are required to check their OASIS account every week, use the internet for research and type their assignments. For some students, computing skills are a challenge as you may not have had extensive experience using a variety of computer programs.PC CHAMPS aims to bridge the gap for any students who may find themselves in this situation. You don’t have to be a mature-aged student to use this service. PC CHAMPS matches the student with a volunteer mentor, who then meets with the student on a one-to-one basis until they have the basic computing skillset required to progress in their course. The day and time is flexible to fit in with the mentor and your commitments.


C • • • • • • • •


The PC CHAMPS Program covers the following: Basic computer use, including windows, using the mouse and the keyboard Browsing/Searching the Internet Sending Emails OASIS The Curtin Library website Microsoft Word Microsoft Excel Microsoft PowerPoint If you need assistance with your computer skills: Contact: START Location: START, Building 102 Email: Tel: 9266 1663

Computers, Laptops, Servicing and Advice

I.T. Works is a computer store owned and operated by the Curtin Student Guild. I.T. Works stock new computers, notebooks, printers and accessories, plus broadband kits and much more. Full Guild members receive a discount on all stock, including notebook servicing and maintenance. The staff are also more than happy to provide advice or suggestions to help meet your I.T. needs. Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9266 2924 Email:


Note: The Conciliator works part-time so students should phone to check availability for appointments. Location: Department of Education Services, 22 Hasler Rd, Osborne Park, WA Tel: 9441 1953 Fax: 9441 1950 Email: au international_disputes.php

The WA Department of Education Services has appointed Ms Anne Duncan as the Conciliator for International students. The Conciliator is available to mediate in situations where students cannot resolve an issue with the institution at which they are studying. You are advised to try to resolve the matter directly with your institution first, and if you are still dissatisfied with the outcome, approach the Conciliator. Discussions with the Conciliator can remain confidential if the student wishes. This service is provided free of charge by the Government of Western Australia.

Conflict Resolution

A grievance is any real or perceived ground for complaint including (but not limited to) bullying, harassment and

C discrimination. Curtin provides a conflict resolution process that is based on the principles of transparency, confidentiality, efficiency, accessibility and no victimisation. The conflict resolution process can be found in the Grievance Resolution Policy and Protocol at www.policies. • • • •

The Conflict Resolution Manager can provide: Procedural advice regarding the process of conflict resolution Advice about resolution techniques Facilitation and conciliation services Training and education Contact: Manager, Conflict Resolution Location: Building 100, Level 3 Tel: 9266 7454 Email:


Details of all foreign consulates in Australia can be found at the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website. The website lists the address, contact numbers and office hours of the consulates. Tel: 02 6261 2744 (Protocol and Consular List Enquiries) publications.html


Curtin students located in Australia are required to abide by the provisions of the Copyright Act 1968 and Curtin’s Copyright Policy and Procedures, which can be found at home/index.cfm. Students who deliberately disregard University policy and copyright requirements will be liable to disciplinary action under the Student Disciplinary Statute and leave themselves open to prosecution by individual copyright owners. Fair dealing The fair dealing provisions of the Copyright Act 1968 permit students to copy limited amounts of material for the purpose of research and study, or criticism and review. The copying limits under the fair dealing provisions include:

• Books: you may copy 10% of the pages or one chapter, whichever is the greater. • Periodicals/Journals/Newspapers: you may copy one article in an issue (or more than one if the articles in the issue are required for the same course of study or research project). • Artwork, Television, Radio broadcasts and Audio-visual Material: specific requirements and limits apply.


C • You should normally only make a single copy, for your own individual use.

Material (including music, film, and unlicensed software) that does not support the educational purposes of the University cannot be downloaded, copied or communicated using University computer networks or equipment. Copying of software and prepurchased or rented videos or DVDs is NOT permitted except with the express permission of the copyright owner.

Copyright outside Australia Where copying is undertaken in a country other than Australia, students and staff must comply with the copyright law applicable in that country.

Further information Additional copyright information can be found at: www.copyright. A quick guide on “Copyright Do’s and Don’ts” for students is available at www. Should you have any copyright queries or concerns please contact the Copyright and Compliance Officer by email (copyright@curtin. or phone (08 9266 7494).


Council for International Students of Western Australia (CISWA) The Council for International Students of Western Australia (CISWA) is an independent, voluntary, non-profit organisation that offers support and advocacy to International students. The Council consists of people from: the Education Sector, Australian voluntary organizations, student representatives from International student organisations and other groups interested in the well being of overseas students. Students can register for various trips organised by CISWA each semester. Trips and events can be booked and paid online. More information can be obtained from Building 102. CISWA Location: Canning College Campus. Marquis Street Bentley WA 6102 Tel: (08) 9451 1544 Fax: (08) 9451 1599 Email:

Counselling and Disability Services This free and confidential service is available to all staff and students. Professional

C staff are available to assist with educational issues, personal matters, University policy and procedures, and to provide crisis support.

The Counselling Service also offers a range of group sessions during the year which are advertised on Oasis and on the Counselling Services website.

• • • • •

Topics include: Overcoming procrastination Dealing with presentation anxiety Managing exam anxiety Sleep more, feel better Assertive communication

Counselling appointments can be made in person or by telephone:

Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday, 8am – 6pm. Friday, 8am – 4.30pm Location: Building 109 Tel: 9266 7850 Freecall: 1800 651 878 TTY: 9266 4112 Fax: 9266 3052

Note: Counselling is available on all Curtin campuses. For more information see your campus website or contact

Students with disabilities and medical conditions.

The Disability Counsellors provide advice on the University’s policies and procedures for students with

disabilities and medical conditions. For more information see Disability Services on page 23.

Course Changing

Wanting to switch courses is not uncommon, particularly in your first year. The University has a process to follow if you do want to switch. All students considering switching should get in touch with one or more of: • The Careers Centre on •��������������������������� The First Year Experience Coordinator at or phone 9266 4761. • The Counselling and Disability Services on 9266 7850. Further information and forms can be found at: www.students.curtin. amendment.cfm Also check:



Note: Sponsored students must submit to the International Office a new ‘Sponsored Student Information Form’ or Letter of Financial Guarantee completed by their sponsoring organisation which authorises and reflects the new course details outlined the new Letter of Offer.

For more information and to obtain the form visit: sponsor/students.cfm


International students intending to change their course must contact the International Office to complete an International Application for Admission form. Once this form is submitted and the school approves the application, the International Office will issue a new Letter of Offer. As soon as tuition fees for the new course are paid, and the student has accepted the offer by signing and submitting the Acceptance Offer form, the International Office will then issue a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for the purpose of visa issue.

of your degree. This letter is particularly useful for your resume and other educational providers. Additional copies can be requested at Student Central for a small fee.

The University operates a shuttle bus service that collects students from designated points around campus and transports them to University car parks and oncampus accommodation. During the evening Students who attend classes in the evenings are encouraged to use this service.

The bus service operates during Semester only: Night bus Monday to Thursday, 5pm – 1.45am (every hour) Friday, 5pm – 11.45pm (every hour)

Timetables are available online via the properties website:

Course Completion

You will receive a complementary Letter of Course Completion and Notification of Graduation once you have passed all the requirements

Courtesy Bus – Bentley

The bus service does not operate on weekends, however Curtin Security Officers can assist with night escorts from Curtin buildings and computer labs back to car parks and on-campus accommodation.

CUPSA (Curtin University Postgraduate Students Association) The Curtin University


• • • • • • •

Postgraduate Students Association (CUPSA) is run by the Guild and is the only officially recognised university body representing postgraduate students at Curtin. CUPSA is run for and by postgraduate students. Elected CUPSA committee members provide postgraduate representation on University and Guild committees and provide links to the national Council of Australian Postgraduate Association (CAPA). CUPSA provides services including: Grievances/complaints resolution Peer to peer support program Seminars Newsletter Grants Conference Support Grants Social events CUPSA contact details Tel: 9266 4911 Fax: 9266 2996 (Attn: CUPSA) Email: about-your-guild/organisationchart/guilddepartments/cupsa

Curtin Connect

Curtin Connect supports students predominantly in their social transition to university life at Curtin and in Australia. The Creating Connections program, run during Orientation, fosters students’ ongoing development of social skills. Meanwhile, the Living in Perth guide helps new-to-

Perth students to learn about and navigate Perth city. We facilitate the advertisement of student social activities online and run a mentoring program for the John Curtin Undergraduate Scholarship. Visit the Curtin Connect web site or contact us for help connecting with other Curtin students or Curtin services. Location: START, Building 102 Tel: 9266 1663 Fax: 9266 3331 Email: Web:


CurtinMobile CurtinMobile is a purpose-built mobile website which is designed to give students access to important and useful information “on-thego”. Simply use your web-enabled mobile device and visit

CurtinMobile gives you access to OASIS Mobile, Campus Maps, Courtesy Bus timetables, Library Information, Support Service information and much more. You can even find out how many computers are currently available in the computer labs and what specials are on today at various eateries around campus. Please note that although CurtinMobile is provided as a free service, if you are not connected to the Curtin Wireless Network


C when browsing CurtinMobile you may incur data charges depending on your mobile phone plan. Please check with your service provider for more information.


and indigenous culture that exist today.

Curtin Volunteers!

Curtin Volunteers! is Australia’s first and largest student run volunteering organisation and has been operating out of Curtin University since 1995. Through CV!, you can participate in a range of regular programs in areas including youth work, working with people with disabilities, people from other cultures or working to improve our environment. Each of the opportunities offered are tailored to provide an experience promoting professional growth, in developing new skills that can be transferred to the workplace, and personal growth, in providing a social outlet and allowing networking opportunities. CV!’s largest project for the year is John Curtin Weekend, run over several weekends in September and October. This weekend involves 500 volunteers travelling to over 35 rural sites to enjoy a weekend of volunteering and have some fun along the way. Our Laverton and Leonara projects are another more advanced undertaking and give volunteers a glimpse of the various cross-cultural issues relating to remote communities,

For more information or to get involved: Location: Building 599 Tel: 9266 3954 Email:

Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC)

As an International student, you are responsible for ensuring your visa is current and visa conditions are met. You would need to ensure that you have a current Confirmation of Enrolment by making an appointment with the Visa Officers at Student Central Building 101.You should make an appointment with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) when renewing your student visa. Visit the DIAC website for more information on visa conditions and other important information relating to student visas. (See also Visa Renewals.) Opening Hours: Mon, Tue, Thur & Fri: 9am – 4pm, Wed: 9am – 1pm Location: Wellington Central, 836 Wellington St, Perth, WA General Enquiries & Appointments: 131 881 Australian Citizenship Enquiries: 131 880


Translating & Interpreting Services: 131 450 Online Visas: students.htm

Disability Services

Assistance available is tailored to individual needs, and may include alternative examination arrangements, note takers and sign language interpreters, study materials in alternative formats, assistance with parking and physical access, and access to library support services. Please note that supporting medical documentation is required in most cases.

For more information contact: Counselling and Disability Services on: Tel: 9266 7850 Email disabilityservices@curtin.

Disability Services offers advice and assistance to students who have a disability or medical condition that has an impact on their studies. The definition of disability is very broad, and includes learning disabilities, ADHD, mental health issues, vision or hearing impairments, physical disabilities, medical problems and temporary illnesses and injuries.

Distance Education

Distance Education was originally intended for students who were geographically remote from university campuses. Many Distance Education students are now from urban areas, choosing this off-campus mode of study because it suits their employment situation or family commitments. Distance Education allows students to study without the structure of having to attend classes and is suited to people who would like to work and study at the same time. To succeed, students need to be self-directed, well organised and comfortable with technology. Distance Education is available to any student who is enrolled in a Curtin course that offers units in distant mode. This mode of study is predominately for students who are Australian Citizens or Permanent Residents and is only available to International students under certain circumstances. You can enrol in a combination of oncampus and flexible delivery units provided they obtain approval from their department or school. For more information, visit The Distance Education Office also administers Curtin’s Open Universities Australia courses and can help you with any queries you may have to visit



Note: Distance Education is now available for International students in some circumstances. Students should contact their course coordinator or their International Student Adviser for more information.


Curtin recognises, respects and values the diversity of its students, staff and the Curtin community. The University’s Diversity Policy and supporting procedures outline its commitment to valuing diversity and cultural sensitivity in teaching and all other areas of the University’s operation. It recognises and builds on the many different cultures that make up the Curtin community. For more information visit the Ethics, Equity and Social Justice website.




See Health Services page 39.

You should be aware that the use, supply or possession of drugs is illegal in Australia. Heavy penalties apply for drug offences. International students should be aware of their own country’s laws regarding drugs and not carry any drugs either in to or out of Australia. For more information, and/or confidential counselling, contact The Alcohol and Drug Information Service.

Tel: 9442 5000 (country callers 1800 198 024) Fax: 9442 5020 Email: University Counselling and Disability Services (08 9266 7850 or 1800 651 878) Health Service: 9266 7345


EduSafe is the department that oversees safety and health issues for students, staff, visitors and contractors at Curtin under the provisions of the Occupational Safety and Health Act WA 1984. This Act places responsibility on everyone in the workplace. As a student of the University you must take all reasonable care to ensure your safety and to not adversely affect the safety of those around you. To help you in meeting your responsibilities as a student, EduSafe provides a website that contains links for reporting incidents and hazards, a list of safety and health representatives (who provide advice and support), and a large range of health and safety information. This includes emergency evacuation procedures, policies and procedures, and minimum standards and guidelines. If you are involved in an incident while on campus or on a fieldtrip, or


spot a hazard on campus, you must immediately report it to your lecturer/tutor verbally and then via the online reporting system, which can be found at Enter your lecturer/tutor’s details as the Supervisor/Manager. Please note in the event of an emergency you must call 9266 4444 or 1300 00 4444 (from an on-campus internal Curtin phone dial immediately ‘5’). Tel: 9266 4900 Email:

Email Access

Your student email account is accessed via OASIS -

To access your email, click on the email inbox link in the My Email channel on your OASIS Welcome tab. Your email account is for your own personal use, and is often used by tutors and lecturers to contact students, or for your Faculty to send information that may be of interest to you. When emailing the university, it is strongly recommended that you use your student email account, as some areas of the university will not communicate with a nonCurtin email address for privacy and security reasons.


Guild Employment Service The Guild Student Employment Service offers a range of casual, part-time, volunteer and work experience vacancies to students. The board is located outside of Guild reception and is updated regularly, so make sure you stop by and check if there are any jobs suitable for you. For more information contact the Student Guild see page 67.

For career information and services see Curtin Careers Service on page 11.

Employment for International Students Once International students have commenced classes, they may apply for permission to work through the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) at a cost of A$60. You can lodge an application for Permission to Work via the Internet if you have a credit card. Before applying online, notify Student Central that you wish to apply for permission to work. The International Student Visa Officer will then advise DIAC that you have commenced studies. Note: If your visa was granted after 26 April 2008 you will have the right to work in Australia.



If you do not wish to apply online, you must lodge Form 157P in person at the DIAC Office or by mail. Prior to lodging the form, a Customer Service Officer in Student Central must sign the form to verify that you have commenced studies. Please note that DIAC does not accept cash; however payments can be made by EFTPOS, bank cheque or credit card. A working visa allows you to only work up to 20 hours per week during semester and fulltime during semester breaks. Often students obtain work in restaurants and retail outlets, although competition for work is strong. Students are advised that part-time employment may distract them from their studies and that they should not rely on part-time work to pay for their tuition fees or living expenses. Scholarship or sponsored students should seek permission from their sponsoring authority before seeking casual or part-time work. For more information about permission to work, please contact DIAC see page 24.

English Language Support

UniEnglish See page 77.

Speakers’ Corner Speakers’ Corner is a group of students and staff across Curtin who informally meet up for language exchange in English and other languages.

Set up to create both a realworld and virtual language community, Speakers’ Corner is free of charge. For more information contact Julienne Patience Tel: 9266 4228 Email:

• • • • • • •

Speak Up English Conversation Classes for International Students Speak Up aims to help: English fluency Confidence to start conversations Practical tips to improve communication skills Overcome fear of public speaking Understanding of Australian English culture Chat with Aussie students Expand your Australian student experience

Speak Up is: • Non-academic, informal, practical and fun!



• Commences in Week Three of the semester • Held on Wednesdays from 12pm – 2pm in teaching weeks • $120 for 10 weeks Register your interest: Location: START, Building 102 Tel: 9266 1663

The Learning Centre See page 7

CBS Communications Skills Centre See page 7


New Students All students who are Australian Citizens/Permanent Residents should have completed these forms: Application for Admission Form (or TISC Application) Enrolment Form Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form (the eCAF should be submitted electronically through eStudent) (undergraduate domestic students) Australian Citizens also need to provide a tax file number by the census date if selecting the ‘deferred’ or ‘partial up-front’ option Request for FEE-HELP Assistance Form (postgraduate domestic

• • •

Students). An electronic version of this form is to be submitted via eStudent. Enrolment sessions for International students are conducted during International Prep Week.

You are required to bring: • Letter of Offer • Proof of having paid tuition fees and Overseas Student Health Cover • Passport • Certified Transcripts for Recognition of Prior Learning credits if applicable to enrol in a course of study, students must complete an Enrolment/Change of Enrolment form. This is signed by the Head of School and lodged for processing at the relevant Faculty Student Services Office.

All new International students MUST enrol during Prep Week in order to start their studies. Anyone not enrolled before classes start will be required to defer entry to the next intake for their course of study and should contact the International Office immediately see page 51.




Re-enrolling Students If you have completed a semester of study and are continuing in the same course at Curtin, you are considered to be a re-enrolling student. Your Faculty Student Services Office will advise via OCC when online re-enrolment and class registration has opened for your course. If online re-enrolment and/or class registration is not available you will be advised of the procedure to follow for a manual re-enrolment and class registration. You are required to enrol for both semesters. It is your responsibility to ensure that forms are lodged to the relevant Faculty Student Services Office before the deadline – usually midDecember.

Confirmation of Enrolment You will receive confirmation of enrolment when you initially enrol.

This confirmation will be either with an Enrolment Advice that shows your current enrolment or an Enrolment Transaction Advice, which shows not only your current enrolment but also the changes you have requested. An Enrolment Advice shows your name, contact address and the title of your course. It is vital that every detail is checked for accuracy.

Any errors or omissions should be reported to Student Central or the relevant Faculty Student Services Office as soon as possible. You can also view your enrolment and print an eEnrolment Advice via your OASIS login. At the beginning of each year, you are required to enrol for units in BOTH semesters (unless completing and graduating at the end of semester 1).

Cross-institutional Enrolment Cross-institutional studies are when a Curtin student undertakes to study a unit/s from another Australian university or viceversa, and where the student’s School has agreed to give credit for the work undertaken. This is only permitted after satisfactory performance in the first year of study. • Undergraduate students who are Australian citizens undertaking cross institutional studies are eligible for HECS-HELP. You will need to complete a Commonwealth Assistance (HECSHELP) form with your enrolment application. • Postgraduate students who are Australian citizens undertaking cross institutional studies are eligible for FEE-HELP. You will need to complete a Commonwealth Assistance (FEE-HELP) form with your enrolment application form.

E • Permanent residents and International students must pay their fees upfront and no discount is available. For further information, contact Student Central or Tel: 9266 3399.

Unit Withdrawals Withdrawal from a Semester 1 unit(s) must be lodged by 31 March to ensure that the unit(s) will not show on your Academic Transcript and that you will not be liable for unit fees. The corresponding date for Semester 2 is 31 August. Withdrawal from units is permitted until 14 May for Semester 1 and 15 October for Semester 2, however the unit(s) will be recorded on your Academic Transcript as ‘WD’ (Withdrawn) and you will be liable for unit fees.

International students can find more information about fee liability on the International Student Refund Agreement at cfm

Withdrawal Under Special Circumstances If you experience unforeseen adverse circumstances after the census date that has impacted on your ability to complete the requirements of your unit(s) of study, you may apply to be withdrawn from the affected unit(s) and receive a refund/ remission of debt.

Enrolment Variation

If you wish to withdraw from a unit, or add another unit to your enrolment, you may do so by lodging an Enrolment/ Change of Enrolment form. These forms are available from Student Central, Faculty Student Services Offices and can also be downloaded from administration/forms.htm All forms must be lodged with the relevant Faculty Student Services Office. Unit Additions For units held in Semester 1, an Enrolment/Change of Enrolment form must be submitted by 5 March. For units held in Semester 2, forms must be submitted by 6 August. When adding a unit, payment must be made at the time of variation. There is an earlier deadline for units studied externally. Note: The Head of School or Course Co-ordinator must approve applications to add units before the enrolment variations can be processed.

If your application is successful, the Student Learning Entitlement


E (SLE), if applicable, will also be appropriately re-credited and the affected unit(s) will be recorded on your Academic Transcript as ‘WD’.


In order to apply for a Withdrawal Under Special Circumstances, you will need to submit an ‘Application for Refund / Remission of Debt / Withdrawal Under Special Circumstances’ form together with original/certified copies of supporting documentation. Application forms are available from Student Central, Faculty Student Services Offices and the internet at www.students.curtin. cfm. Please note! If you withdraw from all units in your first year of study, you may not be entitled to retain your place in that course. As withdrawing from units also reduces study load, you should be aware that your eligibility for Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY may be affected. There may be implications for International student visas and/or sponsorships as a result. If you need advice and assistance when intending to apply for a withdrawal under special circumstances can speak to the Counselling and Disability Services or the Student Assist Support Officer in the Student Guild see page 67.

Approval to Study Less Than 100 Credits (Internal) All International students wishing to enrol in less than 100 credits must seek approval from their Course Coordinator and the Manager of their Faculty Student Services Office.

Approval is given where students are in their final semester of study, or where there are extenuating circumstances that prevent you from studying 100 credits per semester.

All International students wishing to enrol in less than 100 credits must complete the Request to Enrol in Less than 100 Credits in the Current Semester form. The form must provide an explanation of the circumstances and must be signed by the course co-ordinator.

Forms must be lodged prior to the census date of the relevant semester at Student Central. All students will be notified of the outcome in writing – only then are you permitted to have a study load of less than 100 credits. Note: Some courses have been approved for International student enrolment on a 75 credit point per semester basis. The above information does not apply to students enrolled in these courses.


Equal Opportunity

The University recognises the right of individuals to be free from discrimination and harassment while engaged in activities undertaken as part of their enrolment as a student of the University. Discrimination means denial of opportunities on grounds of sex, marital status, pregnancy, potential pregnancy, breast feeding, sexual orientation, gender history, race, nationality, colour or ethnic origin, age, religious or political conviction, impairment or disability, family responsibility or family status. Harassment consists of unwelcome, offensive, abusive, belittling, bullying or threatening behaviour directed at another person. It is usually based on some real or perceived difference such as sex, race or disability and which may lead to the person harassed being offended, humiliated, intimidated or disadvantaged. In the unfortunate circumstance where students believe discrimination or harassment has occurred, Curtin has provision for the resolution of grievances. The University will take all reasonable steps to ensure that students are able to study in an environment free from discrimination and harassment.

For more information visit the Ethics, Equity and Social Justice website. complaints/index.cfm



Students are expected to accept their offer, and submit an electronic version of the Commonwealth Assistance Form or FEE-HELP Form through eStudent. Progressively all students will conduct their initial enrolment and subsequent re-enrolments through eStudent. Access to eStudent is via OASIS see page 50.


For more information see page 47.

eStudent is a gateway to your student record and is accessed via OASIS (your student portal). eStudent records your personal details; any University Offers made to you; your enrolment details and study plans; examination results and tuition fees.

Every year the Guild delivers a huge list of exciting events, including the Campus Bands Competition, Guild Ball and Oktoberfest. Make sure that you stay tuned to Grok Magazine, posters around the campus and the Guild website for information on other events


E running throughout the year. Many of these events are known to sell out quickly, with Guild members getting a priority sales period. So make sure you get in early!

For the latest news on Guild Events check online: au/go/guild-rec



A draft timetable for centrally scheduled examinations is published on the Curtin website six weeks prior to the examination period. A final timetable is published four weeks prior to the examination period, with venue allocations designated by the student’s surname that students must attend. The University has provisions for students with disabilities and other medical conditions to sit their examination in a more appropriate environment. Enquiries should be directed to University Counselling and Disabilities Services at least four weeks before the beginning of the examination period. Examinations may be scheduled on any day or evening during the 2 week examination period, with the exception of Sundays. You should not make commitments to any other activities over this period. Examination timetables will be displayed on the Student Central notice board at the front of

Building 101. Timetables will also be available via OASIS and via a ‘Quick Link’ on the Curtin website.

Note: Examination timetable information cannot be given over the phone, however any other queries about examinations may be directed to the Examinations Office. You are entitled to sit an alternative examination where you have more than 2 examinations scheduled on the same day, or 2 examinations running at the same time.

To do this, you should complete an Examination Timetable Clash form available from Student Central or apply via: au/students/clashes.cfm

You are expected to provide your Student ID card at all examinations. Only authorised materials and aids that are specified on the examination paper may be brought into a venue.

Deferred & Supplementary Examinations Deferred assessment (a “DA” interim result) is the formal approval by a Board of Examiners for a student to complete an outstanding assessment task for a unit at a later date. Outstanding assessment tasks can include an examination or assignment


• • • • •

or other work. Circumstances that may warrant approval of deferred and supplementary assessment include, but are not limited to: Student injury, illness or medical condition Family issues (for example, family injury or illness, bereavement etc) Commitments to participate in elite sport or other activities that warrant favourable consideration Commitments to assist with community service activities (for example, bushfire protection) Unavoidable and unexpected work commitments (for example, relocation) As soon as you are aware of any circumstances that may require a deferred assessment, you should submit the form available at au/administration/documents/ ApplicationforDeferredAssessment. pdf Supplementary Assessment Supplementary Assessment (an “X” interim result) is the formal approval by a Board of Examiners for a student to undertake an additional assessment task in order to provide an opportunity for the student to pass the unit. The additional assessment task could be an examination or assignment or other work. Approval for Supplementary Assessment

should only be given where the Board of Examiners believe that taking into account a student’s academic record and personal circumstances, that providing the student with a second chance to pass the unit is warranted. You cannot officially apply for supplementary assessment – it is a decision of the Board of Examiners.

Students must be advised not to make any other arrangements during the supplementary/ deferred assessment period. A student who commits to other arrangements that prevent him or her from completing an assessment is not entitled to another opportunity to complete the assessment and will forfeit the right to the assessment.

In all cases, however, the personal circumstances of the student will be taken into account. Where the student can demonstrate that the reasons he or she was not available were beyond his or her control, sympathetic consideration may be given to allowing the student to complete the assessment at another time.

Distant Education Students Distant Education residing within 60 kilometres of the Bentley Campus must sit their examinations at the Bentley Campus, unless exceptional


E circumstances apply due to a disability or a medical condition.

External students residing outside 60 kilometres of the Bentley Campus will be advised to sit their examinations at a recognised examination centre.

In certain circumstances the student may be permitted to nominate their own individual supervisor.

Examinations Office Business Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm Location: Building 101, Level 2 Tel: 9266 7016 Fax: 9266 4108 Email: students/index.cfm


Extension Studies

Extension units are offered as individual units within a non-award program and do not normally lead to a recognised qualification. Extension studies do not guarantee a future place in a university award course. Units can be taken internally and externally depending on availability. The University provides extension studies as a community service primarily for Australian residents. Students enrolled in a “not for degree� program should pay their tuition fees on the day they are enrolled. Failure to do so may lead to enrolment cancellation.

International students must maintain a full-time internal enrolment load at all times. Enrolment of an International student into extension units will only be considered under special/exceptional circumstances and with the approval of the Director, Student Services. Students are not required to meet normal university entry requirements to undertake extension units. However, acceptance of an Extension Study Registration is dependent on approval by the School conducting the unit. An individual enrolled in extension units will have no right to continue study beyond the period for which initial enrolment is approved.

Note: Australian students are not entitled to student welfare payments (such as Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY or Austudy) while undertaking extension studies.

A list of external units is available at the Distance Education website at

For more information contact the Distance Education Office see page 23.


Fax Facilities

The First Year Experience Coordinator is also available for phone and email appointments for students who cannot access the Bentley Campus.

Financial Assistance

This is an ideal place to START for students that may not know which service to turn to. Students are encouraged to make appointments or they can visit the START in Building 102 or: Email: Tel: 9266 4761 newtocurtin/changing.cfm

On-campus: Guild Copy Centre: Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm Off-campus: All post offices Some news agencies & Pharmacies.

Students who require a general listing of the various organisations that may be able to provide financial advice or support can visit the Curtin University Financial Help webpage at www.students. Students who experience emergencies of a financial nature can approach the various areas support such as the START team, University Counselling and Disabilities Services or Student Central to explore the various avenues of help that may be available.

Fitness Centre

Flexible Learning Environment for Curtin Students (FLECS)

First Year Experience Support

The First Year Experience coordinator is available for confidential one to one appointments with any student, and especially to students who are new to Curtin. Objective advice and transitional support information is available to all students with concerns (large or small!) about University - including struggles with your studies, personal difficulties or anything to do with adjusting to university life.

Please see Sport and Recreation page 59.

The flexible learning environment at Curtin (FLECS) delivers units through the Blackboard learning management system. The system provides access to a range of resources and learning activities via the internet. Online resources might include some or all of the following:

• Course content: access to resources such as the unit outlines, lecture notes and materials • Communication tools: discussion forums, unit calendars and email communication


F • Assessment: quizzes, surveys and online distribution and submission of assignments • Internet resources: links to relevant websites around the world • Streaming media: links to Curtin’s iLectures video streaming system. The structure of the unit will depend on the individual lecturer, requirements of the unit and mode of study. Check with your tutor, lecturer or unit co-ordinator for further information. To access, FLECS log on to OASIS and click on the ‘My Studies’ tab where you will find a link to FLECS.

Food Outlets

Bookmark Cafe A range of healthy and hearty meals are available alongside the ever-popular foccacias, home made soup and coffee help you through the day. Look out for the homemade specials like Jenny’s Chicken Pie. Location: Robertson Library, Building 105, Ground Floor Tel: 9266 7161


The Vege Patch Although all Guild catering outlets offer healthy food alternatives, the Vege Patch located in the Elizabeth Jolly Building is the place to go if you want a great selection of fresh salads, pastas, sushi and

vegetarian meals. Now offering a delicious range of gluten free and vegan meals! Stop in for a coffee on your way to class. Location: Elizabeth Jolley, Building 210 Tel: 9266 7447 Cafe Angazi Has vibrant colours, funky tunes and friendly staff. Chef Tracey prepares daily scrumptious café style dishes. With an ever changing array of sweet treats, you are always sure to find something delicious to satisfy your taste buds! Location: Building 408 Tel: 9266 1177 Cafe @ Concept Late for class and in a hurry? Need something fast? Stop at Café @ Concept for a coffee or a delicious fruit smoothie. Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 F George’s Kebabs George’s has the best chips on campus and offers a variety of tasty kebabs and burgers. Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9470 1568 Main Cafeteria The Main Cafeteria offers food from around the globe to suit all tastes and diets. Choose from a selection of freshly prepared hot


dishes and salads or customize your own sandwich with fresh bread baked from the in-house bakery. Wallet-friendly meal deals are also on offer every day of the week during semester. For detailed trading hours check online: Location: Building 104, near STA Travel

Simply Delicious Simply Delicious offers deli-style sandwiches and hot foods as well as an assortment of fresh fruit, snacks and drinks. Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9451 1170

Tavern Bar & Bistro The Tavern Bistro offers hearty, pub style meals in a casual setting for those patrons who have time to sit down, relax and enjoy the social atmosphere. A range of delicious cakes, muffins and hot beverages are also available for morning or afternoon tea. Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9266 7491 The Basement Cafe If you are in a rush and want something quick and tasty, this is where you need to head. The Basement Café has a range of

Western dishes prepared using authentic Halal food preparation practices. All suppliers hold relevant Halal accreditation. Location: Engineering, Building 204 Tel: 9266 7558

Catering By Delaware North Functions & Special Events

Scholars Catering Breakfast | Conferences | Boardroom Meetings | Cocktails | Gala Dinners | Graduations Great menus and flexible prices Quality customer focused team Tel: 9266 2800 Email

Ambrosia at Curtin Situated in the magnificent John Curtin Centre, located next to The John Curtin Gallery and The John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library.

With the café overlooking the manicured grounds of Curtin University, we can offer you pleasant surroundings, coupled with fine food, wine and service to make your dining experience memorable.

Café Ambrosia is also perfect for your next function whether it be a sundowner, awards night, wedding or just a barbeque on the terrace.

We are able to organise every detail of your function. Tel: 9266 9487 Email:



Fusion at Curtin Situated in the new chemistry precinct, fusion offers a wide range of teas along with rain forest alliance coffee, a large display of freshly prepared rolls, Panini & salads, along with a great selection of cooked to order breakfast and lunch meals.

Fusion is also available for functions and can fulfill any of your catering needs Tel: 9266 9016 Email:


Fresh Connections Located in the Curtin Stadium, Fresh Connections is a bright vibrant outlet that offers a range of healthier food options including a range of smoothies and shakes with a fast and efficient take away service. Serving FIX rain forest alliance coffee, herbal teas, energy and protein drinks. Dine in also available. Ph 9266 9014

Scholars Restaurant Scholars restaurant located in building 104, is the place to be seen, with its quality décor, modern menu and fine service, scholars can cater for any need, whether it is just a place for a quiet coffee and chat, lunch meeting or a drink at the bar after work your after, Scholars is the perfect place to dine or entertain your guests.

‘Scholars catering’ provides and extensive catering menu and can provide food and service staff anywhere on campus. To contact the function manager: Tel: 9266 2800 Email:


Even though you may have completed your course, graduation is not always automatic: a formal application is encouraged. Please submit an Intention to Graduate form to your School by the due date: 15 June for Semester One and 15 November for Semester Two. Once your application is assessed and approved, information on your graduation ceremony will be forwarded to you in July/ December to both your preferred mailing address and your OASIS account. You can attend graduation ceremonies in Perth, which are usually held in February and October every year. You are also offered the choice of participating in overseas graduation ceremonies where available. Ceremonies are usually held in Singapore and Hong Kong in October each year, Mauritius in May/September and in Sarawak in April/May each year. Ceremonies are also held in April/ May at the Sydney Campus and at the Kalgoorlie Campus for Western Australian School of Mines and Centre for Regional Education graduates.


Alternatively, you can request for your Award Certificate to be mailed. If you choose this option, you are not eligible to attend a graduation ceremony. Students with sanctions relating to unpaid fees or fines cannot attend a graduation ceremony or receive their Award Certificate until the sanction is cleared. For more information see Sanctions on page 60. Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday, 9am – 4.30pm Friday, 9am – 3.30pm Location: Graduations Office, Building 101, Level 1 Tel: + 618 9266 7115 Fax: + 618 9266 3279 Email:


Hair Salon

Ashley Williams, owner and salon visionary, has 17 years of hairdressing

Opening Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, 8.30am – 5.30pm Thursday, 8.30 – 8pm Saturday, 8.30am – 4pm Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9458 1625 or when on campus ext. 3993

Health Services

International students can have the cost of their consultation billed directly to their insurance company.

See Student Guild page 67.

Fringe Benefits is a fresh, cuttingedge, style-driven hairdressing salon located on campus. The salon’s emphasis is on personalisation and individuality. Fringe Benefits have been at the forefront of hairstyling for over 23 years.

experience and is a professional trainer for companies such as LAKME and Hair care Australia (TIGI). Services include cut, colour, treatment, blow-drying and facial waxing.

Medical advice and treatment is available for students at the Bentley Campus Health Services Centre. The Health Services Centre incorporates a doctors’ surgery where students can make appointments with either a doctor or nurse. Nursing staff are available to assist in the treatment of accidents and injuries that may occur on campus. Male and female doctors are available and all visits are strictly confidential. The Health Services Centre bulk bills all students with Medicare cards.



Note: All visits to see a doctor require an appointment, except emergencies. For any medical emergency dial ‘5’ on any internal Curtin phone, during all hours.


Health Insurance See Overseas Student Health Cover on page 53.

Student Personal Accident Insurance Enrolled students who undertake approved course-accredited work/ field experience, or field trips will be covered by the University’s Personal Accident Insurance for these activities when undertaken within Australia and will be covered under the University’s Corporate Travel Insurance for the same activities when undertaken overseas. This means that if you are injured while on a field trip within Australia, you have insurance to cover you for non


Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm Nurse in attendance: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 7.30pm (only during teaching and exam weeks) otherwise 8.30am – 5.45pm Location: Building 109 Tel: 9266 7345 Fax: 9266 2831

Medicare type costs, as well as some home tutor assistance, and some contribution to loss of income if your injury means you are out of work for more than one week.

The Corporate Travel insurance provided for fieldwork overseas means that you have very comprehensive travel and medical insurance cover. All medical costs including hospitalisation, evacuation, etc are covered for you. Please note that insurers do have some exclusion for significant pre-existing medical conditions including pregnancy of over 16 weeks.

For more information visit:

You are also covered for course related work experience and activities that do not form an essential (assessable) part of your course. Cover is provided through the Student Guild’s Personal Accident Insurance Policy for Guild members currently residing in Australia (or residents temporarily travelling overseas) who are injured while engaged in University course/ sport/guild-related activities. The policy covers you while you are on campus as well as any necessary direct travel to and from such activities. As the name

I suggests, the cover is for accident only, not sickness. In order to receive this cover, you must notify the Guild of your work experience before they begin. If you think you may have a Personal Accident Insurance claim, require work experience cover, or would like more information please contact Student Assist see page 65.

Other Insurances ….

International Office

• • • • • • • •

Other insurances such as motor insurance, travel insurance, home insurance, etc. are your responsibility and is to be arranged with an insurance company of your choice. We strongly advise you – and in particularly International students – to check these out. The International Office can provide assistance with queries relating to: Under 18 Guardianship arrangements Late arrivals Airport reception Course changes and new applications Dependent schooling Student exchange Sponsorship AusAID The International Office provides student reference material, online

course information and a student exchange resource library.

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 9am – 4.45pm Location: Building 103 Tel: 9266 7331 Fax: 9266 2605 or 9266 4013 Email:

International Sponsored Students Unit (ISSU)

Curtin has a dedicated International Sponsored Students Unit (ISSU) located in the International Office. The ISSU is the first point of contact for prospective and current International students who are sponsored by AusAID and other governments or agencies. The ISSU has three dedicated staff members whose roles are to assist sponsors and act as intermediaries between students and the University. AusAID is the Australian Government’s major aid agency. As well as offering direct development assistance, AusAID provides scholarships for International students from specific countries. For more information visit: and www. Scholarships offered by other



Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm Location: International Office, Building 103 Tel: 9266 3348 Fax: 9266 2605 Email:

International Student Advisory Service

International Student Advisers (ISA’s) International Student Advisers. are here to assist you with any problem that may affect you as an international student.

• • • •


Australian government agencies and Curtin can be found at

We are your first point of contact if: Settling in is not quite as easy as you thought Things seem a bit overwhelming at any point during your course You are struggling with the course and want to find out what support is available to assist you If you have a family emergency or a medical issue and you need to leave your course for a short period Homesick and things just not going well! We can point you in the right direction for support and

help • You have been placed on Conditional Status and do not know what to do • You find you have been Terminated from your course and don’t know what your options are • Or anything else that might be on your mind Contact your International Student Advisers on: Tel: 9266 1663 Location: START, Building 102 Email:

International Students Committee (ISC)

The ISC is the peak representative body for international students at the University. Through the Student Guild, the ISC works to ensure that international students have the best possible experience studying at Curtin. If you feel lost, frustrated, or simply unhappy about anything at all, you can approach the ISC. As fellow international students, they are there to assist you in finding your feet at university and to make sure you have a good time. Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9266 2910 Fax: 9266 2996 (Attn: ISC) Email:



The iPortfolio is an excellent forum for gathering feedback from and collaborating with friends, mentors, employers and lecturers. When you’re ready to showcase your achievements, select the highlights and share them on the web or publish them to iTunesU.

featuring must-see contemporary art exhibitions by local, national and international artists as well as current Curtin students. You are invited to experience some of the most exciting, innovative visual art exhibitions in Perth. The JCG also presents free weekly floor talks with the artists, academics and art professionals, who challenge our perspectives and offer a new appreciation for the works on show. Make the JCG part of your university life! Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 12pm – 5pm (during exhibition periods) Also open the last Sunday of every month from 1pm – 4pm Free entry Location: Building 200A Tel: 9266 4155 Fax: 9266 3878 Email: The John Curtin Gallery is now on Facebook!

The iPortfolio is a great way to connect with prospective employers and start preparing for career interviews. It’s an online space where you can create, share and publish evidence of your learning (using movies, audio, images, and documents) and life experiences to promote your unique skills and abilities.

The iPortfolio will assist you to reflect on: • How your Curtin experience is enhancing your unique skills and preparing you for your ideal career; and • The skills you are developing in casual employment, Guild Clubs and Community Organisations that are of value to employers and to the community. How do I get my iPortfolio? Get your iPortfolio today at

John Curtin Gallery

The John Curtin Gallery (JCG), located at the Bentley Campus, is the cultural hub of Curtin,

Leave of Absence

Leave of Absence is the official term used if you want to take some time out from your studies for one or more semesters. After enrolment has been completed, students are entitled to one or more periods of approved Leave of Absence from their course. A completed Application for Leave of Absence form must be approved


L and lodged with your Head of School prior to the period that you will be absent. Application forms outlining the regulations for Leave of Absence are available from your Faculty Student Services Offices, Student Central, and can be downloaded from www.students. forms.cfm


Students who do not enrol for a period of 3 months and who have not had a Leave of Absence approved will have their course status set to AWOL (Absent Without Leave). Students with this status are no longer guaranteed a place in their course.

In certain circumstances international students are now allowed to take a leave of absence. They are advised to seek assistance from the Visa Officers in Student Central, Building 101 if they wish to apply for leave of absence.

Note: Students should seek advice from their Course Co-ordinator, the First Year Experience Coordinator, the Guild Student Assist Support Services or the University Counselling Service before applying for a leave of absence.

Legal Assistance


If you are an international student in a situation requiring legal advice you can make a confidential appointment with an International Student Adviser, who can refer you to an appropriate community legal service. Some organizations are able to offer basic advice, however further assistance must be sought from a solicitor for a fee. Although variable across law firms, this fee can exceed $180 per hour.

Welcome to your library! Opening hours: During semester the Robertson Library on the Bentley Campus is open: • Monday – Thursday: 8am 9.30pm • Friday: 8am - 7.45pm • Saturday – Sunday: 10am 5.45pm. For other Curtin Libraries’ opening times, check our website.

Borrowing Library items can be borrowed using the Self Service Loans machines on Level 2 of the Robertson Library or by visiting the Enquiries Desk, at your branch library. Just bring your Curtin ID card. Please check your receipt carefully as this

L will tell you when your items should be returned. All library items are subject to early return if required by other borrowers. Library notices, including recall notices, are sent to you via the Official Communications Channel (accessible via OASIS). External students living outside the Perth metropolitan area should check the library website for more information about library services available to you.

Recalling and Requesting If a book is already on loan, you may recall it using the library catalogue. If a book is at another Curtin Library and it is not on loan, you can request that it be sent to your library for you to borrow. You will be notified via OASIS when it is ready to be collected or you can check the status of your requests through “Your Borrower Information” from the library catalogue.

Computers, printers and log-ins You can check the catalogue, library databases and the internet using library computers. Microsoft applications are also available. To access any of the Library’s online services you will need your student number and your OASIS password. To print or photocopy you’ll need to activate, and add credit to your Curtin ID Card which is also your photocopying and printing card.

iZone The iZone on Level 2 of the Robertson Library is a great place to study and explore new technology! It is Bluetooth enabled, has touch screen monitors and webcams as well as graphics workstations with 30 inch, high resolution monitors and drawing tablets. Laptop lounges for access to the wireless network are also available.

Library databases and the Reserve Collection Searching a database is the best way to find journal articles on a topic. To find the most useful databases for your subject area, check the “Subject Guides” on the Library website. It is also recommended that you check the Library’s Reserve Collection, through the library catalogue, for online articles or books that are listed for your unit.

Your online library You can access all of the Library’s online services and guides 24 hrs a day, seven days a week. Even from home you can access the library catalogue and databases, read online journals and books, find library tutorials, referencing guides and past exam papers, and send us your questions!




InfoTrekk: your guide through the information maze If you are not sure how to find information for assignments or how to reference, try InfoTrekk! It’s an easy, jargon-free guide and is accessible via our website. The “Trekk” is recommended for first year students or anyone returning to study after a break.

Library language If you have difficulty understanding any of the terms used in the Library, our “Library Language” webpage lists the explanations. Take a look! Tours, tours, tours Come on a 40-minute tour of the Robertson Library in StartUp Week. The tour includes an optional introduction to using the catalogue and finding journal articles session. Check for tour times on the StartUp Week timetable, library posters, and on our website – you don’t need to book! Ask at other Curtin libraries for the times of their tours. Free workshops

The Robertson Library runs free workshops on finding journal articles, searching the Web and using EndNote. Check the library website to book online. Ask at other Curtin libraries to see what workshops they offer.

Library Contact Details Location: Robertson Library, Building 105 Telephone: (08) 9266 7166 SMS: 0421 261 139 See our website for the locations and contact details of all Curtin libraries.

Lost Property

Student Central is the deposit and retrieval point for lost property on campus. Location: Building 101, Level 2 Tel: 9266 3399.

Market Day

Every Wednesday during teaching weeks, the Guild precinct is transformed into a marketplace. Stallholders offer a dazzling array of products and services to both students and staff. If you are interested in setting up a stall, you will need to complete a booking request form. For more information, contact the Student Guild see page 67.

Mature-Age/Part-Time Students

Anyone over the age of 20 who is not a high school leaver is a mature age student. Mature-age students can face many issues when studying for the first time or returning to study after a long period. For example, you may have difficulty using new

M technology or managing study in addition to work, social and family commitments. Specific support for mature-age students is available from the First Year Experience Coordinator, The Learning Centre, or the Counselling and Disability Services.

e-Mate The e-Mate program is a specific Mentor Program that connects new International students with a current Curtin student. The goal of this program is to help International Students transition from their home country into Curtin. The participants communicate through email where the current student volunteer can informally mentor and provide advice on general questions about Curtin University and life in Australia.

If you have any further queries regarding Mentor Programs at Curtin please contact: Email: Tel: 9266 9822 e-Mate website:

Mentor Programs

The Mentor Program is a good introduction to University life and assists new students in their first semester at Curtin. A Mentor is a current student in the same course, who is willing to assist you when you begin at Uni. Mentors can help you with any course specific and administrative queries, troubleshoot difficulties and connect you to university services and help that you may use throughout your time at University. Having a student Mentor is an invaluable resource for new students - they were once in your shoes, so it is really helpful to be able to take some of your queries to a fellow student. It is also useful to new students as there might be questions that you might not want to ask a staff member. You can check out the Mentor Program and see if your school currently has one in place at: www.mentoring.curtin.

You never know we might see you as a Mentor in your future years at Curtin!

Mobile Phone Access

Money Management

See Curtin Mobile on page 21. After moving out of home or arriving in Perth for the first time, many students will be managing their finances without family assistance. It is important to budget realistically to ensure financial obligations are met. It is also important to save for unexpected expenses.




The Student Guild can provide information on how to budget effectively, together with hints and advice on how to save money. Students who require a general listing of the various organisations that may be able to provide financial advice or support can visit the Curtin University Financial Help webpage at: www.students.curtin. Students who experience emergencies of a financial nature can approach the various areas of support such as the START team, University Counselling and Disabilities Services or Student Central to explore the various avenues of help that may be available.

Multi-Faith Officer and Prayer Facilities

The Multi-Faith Officer (MFO) and Prayer Facilities are part of the Counselling and Disabilities Services. The MFO is available for both personal support and general consultation on matters of religious belief and spirituality. The MFO does not represent any denomination, faith or religious organisation, and instead provides wide-ranging support assisted by occasional visiting Chaplains (Anglican, Baha’i, Baptist, Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic, Pentecostal, Roman Catholic and others). Curtin also provides spiritual and prayer

spaces in the following locations: Building 109 (all faiths), Building 510/514 Mushalla (Muslim). Large groups can make bookings through the Venues office.

The MFO service is provided freeof charge and all consultations are kept confidential. The service is housed at the Guild. Please contact the Guild reception to make appointments.

Opening Hours: Wednesday & Thursday: 1pm to 5pm Friday: 8:30am to 5pm (other times by appointment) Location: Building 106F Tel: 9266 2900 or (1800 063 865 for country callers) Fax: 9266 2996 Email:

Alternatively, if you are interested in a specific religious faith, the vibrant and growing team of visiting chaplains would welcome your questions and enquiries. Their contact details are listed below for your reference if you need to contact them directly regarding their specific religious services or support.

Multi-Faith Officer Dr. Sven Ă–string Location: Building 106F Email: Phone: +61 8 9266 2900


Anglican Locum Tenen: Reverend Noel Chin Email: Mobile: 08 9367 1918

Bahá’í Mrs. Monika Chang Email: Phone: 08 9332 1580

Baptist Pastor Noal Atkinson Phone: 08 9368 1479 Email: pastor@southperthbaptist. org

Buddhist Kelsang Nampur Email: Phone: 08 9430 4592 (direct) or at

Dharmapala Buddhist Centre on 08 9430 7877.

Curtin Community Church David Rowbottom Phone: 08 9332 6564 Mobile: 0438 023 386 Email: pastor@curtincommunity

Pentecostal Pastor Patrick Chen & Joyce Chen Phone: 08 9313 2292 Email:

Hindu Pandit Sri Subrahmanya Bhat Phone: 0408 099 015 Email:

Islamic Imam Yahya Ibrahim Email: or Mobile: 0403 965 522

Roman Catholic Father John Gandini sdb Email: Phone: 08 9361 7224

Seventh Day Adventist Bruce McCourt Email: Email: Bruce Mobile: 0423 897 027


Music@Curtin offers a diverse range musical service to enhance your time spent at Curtin University of Technology. Do you play an instrument, DJ or sing? We want to know about you so that we can put you in touch with other students and possibly plan gigs together. We hold occasional jam sessions during the semester and have a “musician register ” Lunchtime Concert Series held most Wednesdays during semester from 12 till 2pm under the pines trees in Henderson Court. A variety of performers or DJ’s performing their tunes throughout the semester. Preference is given to Curtin students that can play with basic equipment (Acoustic shows and DJ’s). Come meet up with your fellow students for a lazy musical lunch break on the grass.



National Liaison Committee (NLC)

• •

On National Level, NLC is the voice of the International Students Community for advocacy and lobbying, focusing on five key areas of NLC community operations:

• •


• •

National Liaison Committee for International Students, more widely known as NLC, is the national peak body for International Students in Australia.

Culture, Representation, Compliance, Welfare and Leadership. For information, contact NLC campus reps or hotline: 1300 808080 Website: Email:


Email: Talk with people in the purple Tshirts at Wednesday Lunchtime Concerts or visit us building 599 near the main library!

OASIS is a secure web portal to electronic services provided to Curtin students. Curtin students log into OASIS more than 135,000 times each week. To log into OASIS, go to

Once logged into OASIS you will have access to a range of services including: Official University communications Student email eStudent (Your student record, including your personal details, enrolment details and results) Start Up Channel Ask Curtin (Curtin's FAQ database) Learning support services such as the library and FLECS-Blackboard Careers tools Curtin news and events

Must I Use OASIS? Yes! Curtin delivers official communications electronically via OASIS. It is your responsibility to access OASIS regularly in order to read these communications. You should be accessing OASIS at least weekly and preferably two or three times a week. Curtin monitors if and when students read their official communications.

Who Has Access To OASIS? Once you are offered a place in a course that is capable of leading to an award at Curtin, you will automatically have access to OASIS and its core services. Additional services will be made available to you through OASIS when you enroll. If you are terminated from your course,

O withdraw, defer or do not accept your offer before its lapse date, you will lose your OASIS access. After completing your course at Curtin, you will be able to access OASIS for 12 months after course completion. If you take an approved leave of absence, you will continue to have access to OASIS over your period of leave.


There are two parts to orientation on the Bentley campus (for other campuses, detailed information on your program can be found at

What if I Can’t Access OASIS Regularly? If you are unable to regularly access OASIS due to a medical condition, disability, or some other compelling reason, you can apply for an eExemption from using OASIS (please note: eExemption will not be granted for slow Internet connections). To apply for an Exemption, complete an Application for eExemption form available from Student Central or online at: au/administration/forms.html


The optometrist on campus offers eye testing examinations and stocks a large range of glasses, contact lenses and sunglasses at affordable prices. Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 7.30am – 5pm Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9451 4130 Fax: 9451 1393 Email: au

Orientation is the term used to describe the overall program to prepare students for their studies. All students are expected to attend and classes begin under that assumption.

International Prep Week This is a very important week for International students in which your enrolment, your ID card, your accommodation, your bank account, etc will be organised. Additionally the START team will provide you with all the necessary information to commence your degree with the least amount of stress. Make sure you plan your travel arrangements around this week! StartUp Week This is the official start of the academic year and you are expected to attend. For domestic students Centrelink recognises Orientation at the start of semester, so if you are receiving payments they will commence from StartUp Week.



StartUp Week has two important components: 1. Your Faculty Orientation 2. Social Central Orientation

Please note! • Events may clash, do remember that your Faculty Orientation takes priority. • To plan your schedule visit: and follow the instructions in the yellow box. Remember to click on “View MY program” to get your tailor made printable program! • If you have no access to a computer or experience difficulty with this technology visit us at START, Building 102 for assistance.

• • • •


Do I need to attend Orientation? Of course …you need the relevant information that is available to you…and we want to meet you! Vital information will be presented to you during Orientation giving you the best possible start. You will be introduced to: Our friendly staff Your faculty and course information Your way around campus and how to find your classrooms, The various support services available on campus and much more… Students who participate during orientation feel less overwhelmed and anxious about what needs to be done before classes begin! And

the feedback from past years has been overwhelmingly positive. Don’t miss the fun and entertainment to welcome you to Curtin! For more information: Web: or visit us at START, Building 102. Concerned parents can drop us a line: or visit us at the location stated above.

Orientation START Volunteers Each semester a friendly team of Orientation volunteers welcome our new local and International students to Curtin. Being an Orientation volunteer gives students the opportunity to meet and get to know students from many different countries and cultures. This is a FUN team to work with and it looks great on your resume when looking for work! START Volunteers receive a gift, a certificate and a thank you lunch. Those volunteers who complete 5 shifts are also officially recognised on their Transcript. Feel like joining the bright fluro team?

To register go online to CV! (Curtin Volunteers) at: services/ise_volunteer.cfm


• • • •

to the dentist, physiotherapist, optometrist, chiropractic and osteopathic services. It is recommended that students who may need these services speak to their health provider to obtain additional cover.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC)

The Australian Government requires International students to be covered by health insurance (OSHC) and maintain cover for the length of their student visa. Before your student visa is granted, you will need to organise your OSHC before you enter Australia in order to be covered from the day you arrive! Students must purchase Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC), approved by the Australian Department of Health and Ageing, from a registered health benefits organisation. WHAT IS OSHC? Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is health insurance. OSHC assists with covering the costs for: Out of Hospital Services In Hospital Services Prescription Medicines Emergency ambulance transport. During your stay in Australia, you may need to visit a doctor. Medical services in Australia are not free and visits to doctors and hospitals incur a cost. If you attend the Health Service on campus, the cost of seeing the doctor is likely to be covered by OSHC. OSHC does not cover visits

• • • •

Who Are The Approved Providers? There are four providers: OSHC Worldcare Medibank Private BUPA Overseas Student Health Cover Australian Health Management Group

Curtin’s preferred provider is OSHC Worldcare.

OHSC Renewal For further information regarding all OSHC Government approved providers, ������ visit au/health

It is a university mandatory requirement that students are covered for the complete length of their studies. OSHC Worldcare membership cards must be ordered online at once you have a permanent address in Perth.




Your membership number is your Curtin student number followed by CU for Curtin University. Once you have updated your information, just select the “order a Membership Card” option. Your card and policy documents will be sent directly to your Perth address. OSHC Enquiries on Campus: An OSHC Worldcare representative is available daily on campus at Student Central in Building 101 to assist you with all OSHC enquiries including renewals, cash claims and holiday credit. Check the notice board at student central for service times. Dental Care Dental care is not covered by OSHC and students are strongly encouraged to take out additional cover through their provider. The Yellow Pages of the Perth Telephone Directory lists dental care providers and includes a locality guide. The Western Australian Government provides an afterhours emergency telephone service seven days a week between the hours of 6.30pm and 8am. This service is to be used for

immediate and urgent dental attention only. For more information: Tel: 9325 3452.


Parking and Traffic facilities are regulated by the University’s Land and Traffic By-Laws. A speed limit of 40km/h currently exists with periodical checks being conducted throughout the campus. Infringement notices are issued for breaches of the ByLaws.

Every member of the Curtin Community who wishes to park a vehicle on campus must obtain a parking permit or visitor’s ticket. A parking permit does not imply a parking bay will be available at all times. Permits are available on a renewable yearly or semester basis on payment of the appropriate fee. While ensuring that all due care is taken, it is a condition of every parking permit or visitor’s

The information below pertains only to the parking on the Bentley and Shenton Park Campuses. For parking arrangements at all other campuses or education centres, please refer to the local administration.


• • • • • • •

ticket issued that the University is not, and shall not be liable or responsible in any way for the safe custody of a vehicle or its contents. Please visit the Parking and Traffic website for further information: Parking and Traffic Building 115, near the Perth Hockey Stadium Tel: 9266 7116 Fax: 9266 3223



• • • • • •

School of Physiotherapy Treatment is provided by final year Physiotherapy students under the supervision of experienced clinicians who are academic staff at the School. The clinics offer excellent quality of care through physiotherapy assessment, accurate diagnosis, and treatment where indicated, to people with musculoskeletal problems including: Back and neck pain Headaches Arthritis and joint pain Sports/musculoskeletal injuries Post-surgical rehabilitation Injury rehabilitation

Friendly staff at the on campus pharmacy will be happy to assist with all your pharmaceutical needs including: Prescriptions Western Union Money Transfer (sending only) Medibank Private Vitamins Photo Processing Digital Processing Gifts Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday, 8.30am – 5.30pm, Friday, 8.30am – 5pm Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9266 3784 Fax: 9451 4440

Referrals are welcome, but not required.

Opening Hours and Contact Details: Bentley Clinic at Curtin University of Technology Building 404, Level 3, off Brand Drive, Bentley WA Please telephone 9266 1210 for enquiries and bookings. Open Monday 2:00pm to 5:30pm. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00am to 4:00pm Open Thursday 8:00am to 12:00pm clinical/physio.cfm



Private physiotherapy practice on campus: Opening Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8am – 6pm, Wednesday, 8am – 12pm Location: The Dome, Building 111 (behind Curtin Fitness Centre)

• • • • •

• •


The University regards any acts of cheating or dishonesty by way of plagiarism very seriously. There are strong penalties for breaches (including annulment of results or termination/ expulsion from the University). For more information, visit www. plagiarism.cfm In particular, we recommend you take a look at the practical guide available at www.academicintegrity.curtin. Students (both undergraduate and postgraduate) can also obtain academic guidance and support from The Learning Centre by visiting www.learningsupport. The Guild’s Student Assist Support Service can provide advice and assistance to all students who are dealing with any plagiarism related issue/ matter.



Plagiarism means presenting the work or property of another person as one’s own, without appropriate acknowledgement or referencing. Plagiarism includes, but is not limited to: Copying of sentences, paragraphs or creative products which are the works of other persons; Paraphrasing sentences, paragraphs or themes too closely; Using another person’s work/s or research data without due acknowledgment; Submitting work that has been produced by someone else; Copying or submitting computer files, code or website content in whole or in part without indicating their origin; Submitting previously assessed or published work for assessment or publication elsewhere, without permission or acknowledgement; and In the case of group projects, falsely representing the individual contributions of the collaborating partners.

The WA Police Service is committed to serving all people fairly, equitably and without prejudice. If required, the University Counselling Service can assist students in accessing police services and refer them to other agencies and organisations where necessary. For more information contact: West Australian Police


Tel: 131 444 or for life-threatening emergencies call 000 or University Counselling and Disability Services on 9266 7850 or 1800 651 878.

“no fix, no fee”.

Postgraduate Students

Prep Week

Printing/Photocopying/ Design Services

• • • • • • • •

See CUPSA page 20.

See Orientation page 51.

There are several places on campus that offer printing, photocopying and/or design services: Printer Fuel For printing services and printer cartridges on campus visit Printer Fuel. Services include: Inkjet, laser & copier cartridges Original, generic OR refilled cartridges – “Buy 3 generics, get 1 free” Laser printing – black and colour Discounted self-service printing in A4, A3 and large format up to A0 Online printing service ready for collection in 24 hours Digital photo printing and enlargements Thesis, lecture notes and assignment printing Printer, fax, multi-function centres and copier sales and repairs –

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9266 1044 Fax: 9258 8844 Email: Robertson Library The Robertson Library also offers several card-operated self-service photocopiers and printers on each level of the library. Colour copying and copying to overhead transparencies services are also available. Copying cards can be purchased for a one-off cost through self-service cashiers on Levels 2 and 3. Further credit can be added at any time and on any level of the library. Check with other Curtin libraries for details of the copying and printing services they offer. Location: Robertson Library, Building 105 Telephone: (08) 9266 7166 SMS: 0421 261 139 See our website for the locations and contact details of all Curtin libraries. Guild Copy & Design Centre The Guild Copy & Design Centre offers a wealth of services including artwork and design, colour/black and white printing or copying, heat press transfers, scanning,


R laminating and book binding. For personalised gifts, business cards, club party tickets, membership cards, invitations, flyers, brochures or a creative job application CV, contact the Center’s Graphic Designer, John Hew.


Opening Hours: Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9226 2925 Email: edu

Radio Stations

FM Popular Frequency Stations 92.1 RTRFM 92.9 All New 929 93.7 Nova 93.7 94.5 Mix FM 96.1 96FM 98.5 Sunshine FM – Christian Radio 99.3 Triple J 100.1 Curtin FM 100.1 101.7 Groove FM

FM Classical Frequency Stations 97.7 ABC Fine Music

AM Frequency Stations 585 24hr News Station 720 Local Radio 810 6RN Radio National – news, current affairs, education, late night music.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is credit or advanced standing given to a student towards a course of study, on the basis of previously completed work or studies appropriate to the course of study. If you have previously passed postsecondary level subjects, or have work experience relevant to your current course, you may be eligible for RPL.

Assessment for RPL

The assessment of work experience and/or previous study for the purposes of gaining credit or exemption in your course is conducted by the enrolling School/Department. Generally the Head of Department or Course Co-ordinator for your chosen course can advise you about your eligibility for RPL. If you believe you have work experience and/or previous study that could be used for RPL it is recommended that you see your Course Co-ordinator as early as possible, as the credit granted towards your course may reduce the number of units you need to study, which affects your enrolment and your student load. If submitted during your final year or semester, it may also

R affect your course completion and subsequent graduation

International students will have RPL assessed as part of the normal application procedure. The documents submitted for their application to Curtin will be assessed to determine whether RPL will be granted. Depending upon the institution where previous studies were completed, the students may be required to provide a course syllabus and unit outlines.

Refund of Tuition Fees

To apply for a tuition fee refund, an Application for Refund form must be completed and submitted to University Fees Centre, Student Central. Forms can be downloaded from

Research and Development

• • •

Curtin aims to achieve excellence in research and development, particularly in partnership with other organisations, institutions of learning and the community. The Office of Research & Development (ORD) provides support to postgraduate research students in the following areas: Graduate studies Responsibility for Higher Degree by Research programs Higher Degree by Research contacts Forms, policies and guidelines Seminars and professional development opportunities Human research and animal ethics Scholarships Thesis Examination

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm

Application for RPL

Application forms for RPL are available from your enrolling School/ Department, Faculty Student Services Office, Student Central or can be found at docs/rpl.pdf All students are required to lodge an application with supporting documentation at the time of enrolment into the course of study (if not at enrolment, please see your enrolling School/Department for relevant deadlines). Please contact your enrolling School/ Department for more information.

Recreation Centre

Please see Sports and Recreation page 64.

Refund policies for International, Commonwealth Supported and Domestic Fee-Paying students vary. For information on refunds, visit the Fees & Charges website at

• • • • •



Location: Building 100, Levels 1 and 2 Tel: 9266 7863 Fax: 9266 3793 currentstudents

Rural Students

The Country Students Club offers rural students an opportunity to build new social and study networks, and has produced a great guide to living in Perth – available at newtocurtin/documents/CSC_City_ Survival_Guide_bw.pdf Email: countrystudentsclub@ to find out about the club activities. For advice about any student issues, contact the START team see who are available to support rural students with their transition to Curtin and life in Perth.

If you do not pay your fees and debts to the University by the required due date, a sanction will be placed on your student record. This sanction prevents access to your results and you will be unable to receive your official testamur or graduate until the debt is paid. Students with sanctions are also not able to reenrol or change course until the debt is cleared. Once the sanction has been paid it will be removed from your record within 24 hours.

Students can check if they have sanctions recorded against them via the ‘Sanctions Channel’ in OASIS.

Rural Students, who have come to study in Perth from country regions of Australia, are sometimes in need of additional support with adjusting to life away from home in a city environment.


Sanctions are imposed when payment is outstanding for (and not limited to): • Tuition Fees/Late Fees/Amenities and Services Fee • Traffic infringements


• Library fines • Bookshop debts

• • • •

Enquiries about Sanctions: Fees Centre – 9266 3500 Library Fines – 9266 7166 Parking Fines – 9266 7116 Housing Debts – Contact the Main Office of your on-campus residence • Bookshop Debts – 9266 2315


Information about scholarships can be found on the Scholarships website


Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarships (studying by coursework): Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am - 4:45pm Location: Building 101, Level 2 Tel: 9266 2992 Fax: 9266 4108 Email: undergraduate_ Higher Degree by Research Scholarships: Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am 4.30pm Location: Building 100, Level 1(West) Tel: 9266 4906 Fax: 9266 3793 Email: research_scholarships@

Scholarships Email Alert!

You will receive an email alert whenever a scholarship that matches your criteria is opened for applications. You’ll also receive a reminder email one week before applications close.

School-Age Dependants

Government (public) school fees vary for dependants of undergraduate students, postgraduate students and for some scholarship students. It is important to understand these associated costs before your dependants arrive in Australia. Please note: Dependants of postgraduate international students (only Masters or PhD) may be enrolled in selected government schools in Western Australia at local student rates, provided that the school has been registered and has the capacity to accept them.

For detailed information such as visa processing contacts, school fees, school enrolments, list of government (public) & non-government (private) schools and

Make sure you never miss out on scholarship opportunities by signing up for Scholarships Email Alert at http://scholarships.curtin.

In Western Australia, dependants of international students may be enrolled in either government (public) or non-government (private) schools registered by the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Both public and private schools require the payment of full school fees. A visa for the dependant(s) must be obtained through the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) or a representative.



a working visa if they wish to work. Spouses of Masters and PhD students can obtain visas with unlimited work hours, while spouses of other international students will obtain a visa with a limit of 20 hours per week according to DIAC regulations. AusAID spouses who wish to study full-time must apply for a student visa and must meet all student visa requirements.

other important information, please download the Dependant Schooling Information Sheet available at or contact the International Sponsored Student Unit, International Office, Building 103, email: or Tel: +61 8 9266 3348.


Please note: if your child is enrolled in a government (public) school and requires English as a Second Language (usually not relevant for children 6 years of age and under), learning difficulty or disability support, extra educational needs may cost $2,000 or more per child, per year (this will be an additional charge over and above the school fees). These associated costs are paid by the student, not Curtin or Department of Education and Training of Western Australia (DET). Costs will vary and may involve the dependant moving to a school specifically designed to provide the required support. It is recommended that your child commences English language training prior to arrival in Perth. Spouse Dependants All spouses of students on a student visa must apply for

Security and Safety

Always carry your Curtin ID card – this card may give you access to certain buildings as well as providing you with identification. Students who need to access a building after hours should contact the Security Office on 9266 4444 or 1300 00 4444.

Perth is like any other city in the world and it is important to use common sense regarding personal safety and security. A safe environment requires individual awareness of safety and security issues. Students should recognise and avoid any potentially risky situations and report suspicious behaviour to Curtin Security.


Securing Your Property Never leave personal belongings unattended, whether you are in a lab, library, etc. regardless of how long you will be gone, even a couple of minutes, unwatched articles invite thieves. If someone attempts to steal your property, don’t physically resist. No amount of money or property is worth the risk of serious injury. Securing Your Vehicle Theft of property from parked vehicles is a major concern to Police and the University. Do not leave any valuables in your car and lock it when you leave. Security Officers patrol the campus 24 hours a day. A Courtesy Bus is available on and around campus to help get you safely to your car or your oncampus accommodation after hours. For more information see Campus Courtesy Bus on page 20. Opening Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week Location: Security Office, near the Hockey Stadium, Building 115 Tel: 9266 4444 or 1300 00 4444 (Dial 5 from any internal Curtin phone in an emergency) Fax: 9266 2739 Email: See also keepsafe for some great tips on general security issues.

Sexuality and Gender Diversity

Curtin respects and values the diversity of its students and staff, and welcomes people of diverse sexuality and gender identity. ALLY Program Curtin has an Ally Program to support GLBTI (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex) students and staff. An Ally is simply any person, who is informed about, is sensitive toward and has an understanding of GLBTI people and their issues. For information about Allies and various resources and research visit Curtin’s Sexuality and Gender Diversity website: Guild Gender and Sexuality Department The department ensures that all GLBTQI students at Curtin are represented and supported. The main goal of the department is continued advancement in social, economic and educational access for GLBTQI students as well as maintaining gender equity on campus. For more information about this Department or to access the Department room, contact Curtin Student Guild see page 67.




Shopping Hours

Shopping hours in Perth are generally as follows : Monday to Friday: 8/9am – 6pm Thursday: 8/9am – 9pm (suburban shops only) Friday: 8/9am – 5pm (Perth city and Fremantle) Sunday: 12pm 6pm (Perth city) 10am – 4pm (Fremantle)

Sport and Recreation

Curtin Stadium (Building 111) Get up & get moving in this fantastic multi-purpose indoor facility. On offer: Social Sports, Sports Clubs, Inter-Departmental Sports, Inter-University Sport, Australian University Games, Sports Hire, Gym, Group Fitness with Spin Room, Ladies Studio. There’s something for everyone!

Curtin Stadium offers Basketball, Volleyball, Badminton, Table Tennis & Futsal. Also available are 2 Beach Volleyball courts.

Clubs cater for all levels of skill & experience & provide competitive & recreational opportunities.

Curtin Stadium can also be utilised for Special Events with retractable seating to cater for nearly 2000 spectators and our brand-new Stadium’s Café has a relaxing atmosphere for you to socialise.

Memberships Memberships are open to all students, staff, alumni & the community.

Silver, Gold or Diamond memberships are available.

The Silver Gym and Gold Memberships: • A free initial appraisal • A tailor-made exercise program to assist you and reach your health & fitness goal. The Gold membership: • Unlimited use of the Co-ed Gym & the Group Fitness Timetable. The Diamond membership: • Exclusive to ladies • Allows you to access the Ladies Studio providing a private and personalised exercise service, • Unlimited Group Fitness • Access to the co-ed Gym.

Personal Training & Boot camp are also available for those wanting on-going support & motivation to ensure exercise sessions are high quality & beneficial. Our Group Fitness Timetable features the world renowned Les Mills classes including; Bodypump, Bodyjam, Bodybalance and Bodycombat.

Our qualified friendly team of staff takes pride in the delivery of high quality service for the collective wellbeing of our clientele.


Sports Curtin Stadium also provides Social Sports, Elite Athletes, Facility Hire, Staff Sports, and Sports Clubs. Get your friends together to register in our fun & affordable Social Sports competition! Individual & team nominations available.

The Inter-Departmental Sports Challenge is a chance to play against other Curtin Departments in a variety of exciting sports & a great way to achieve a healthy work-life balance.

Curtin is an Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) committed to helping elite athletes who are studying under agreement with the Australian Sports Commission. Curtin students competing at a National/International level whilst completing their studies are provided with specific support.

Curtin has currently 19 registered & affiliated Sports Clubs.

For more information regarding any of the above please contact: Tel: 9266 7870 Fax: 9266 1933 Email: Faye or George Visit our website:

Student Assist

Student Assist is the welfare, support and advocacy service of the Curtin Student Guild,

available for all students with any personal, welfare or academic issues. A team of Student Assist Officers can provide a wealth of helpful information to all Curtin students along with a comprehensive referral service. The Guild is independent from the University and the Student Assist service is completely confidential and will assist with any difficulties you are facing during your time at University.

The Student Assist service is particularly useful in helping to inform you of your rights and responsibilities with regards to University policy and the Student Assist officers can help you understand better, any decisions made in relation to your enrolment, academic progress and assessments. They can also provide you with advice and guidance about the best people to see to resolve any academic issues and the best way to go about it. They are particularly well positioned to provide support on matters such as appealing an assessment grade, dealing with findings of academic misconduct and plagiarism and appealing a termination. The Student Assist service has produced a series of “Helpful Handy Hints� fact sheets which cover a wide variety of popular topics ranging from academic tips, to health and



lifestyle and finding work. These can be found in Guild reception, Bldg 106 and on the Guild Website

Student Assist Special Projects and Events Bookshop Grants up to the value of $250 are available to students on low incomes at the beginning of each semester. Applications close early, so students need to keep an eye out for promotional material around campus and on the Guild Website well before semester starts. The ‘On Show’ Arts Grant is an initiative which aims to support the artistic and creative projects of any individuals or groups of enrolled Curtin students. The program currently provides 2 grants per year, of up to $2000 each, for the selected students to put towards the presentation, installation, catalogue production and publicity costs for their exhibition of work. Reboot is a computer recycling and redistribution scheme for those on a low income and in need of a computer. To meet with a Student Assist Support Officer, just pop in to Bldg 106 or call Guild Reception for an appointment on 9266 2900 or 1800 063 865 for country callers.

Student Central

Administrative Fees and Charges The most common fees and charges are listed here; however there are other fees and charges that apply to you as a Curtin student. See Tuition Fees on page 73. Letter of course completion or course conferral – $15 Letter confirming student enrolment – $25 Academic Record – $10 (first copy), $2 (addition copies requested at the same time) Certified photocopy of course outline – $2 per unit (up to a maximum of $40) Fee for change of student details after conferral date – $75 Re-issue of Curtin Award – $100 Replacement Student ID & Library Card – $15 (no fee for damaged or stolen cards if a police report number is produced) Certification of documents – $2 per page

• • • • • • • •


Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am – 4.45pm Location: Building 101 Tel: 9266 3399 Fax: 9266 4108 Ask us: www.ask.studentcentral.


Student Feedback

CASS Curtin Annual Student Satisfaction (CASS) Survey is an annual online survey that gives students the opportunity to comment on the experience with the services and facilities offered to them as a Curtin student. Results are used to identify areas where students are satisfied and to identify areas where improvements can be made. To find out how Curtin has responded to student feedback visit www.planning.

This survey is available via OASIS and the Curtin Homepage every August.

Student Guild

The Curtin Student Guild plays a vital role in representing the interests of students by providing educational, commercial and social services to its members. The Guild represents all students on the major boards and committees of the University and represents international students specifically through its subsidiary council, the International Students Committee (ISC) and postgraduate students through its CUPSA department see page 20. The Guild operates many essential services on campus, including the Tavern and Bistro, Second-hand Bookshop, Curtin Concept, Copy & Design Centre and The Spot. The

Food and Beverage division of the Guild operates many cafeterias and cafes on campus and, in consultation with the International Office, has established the availability of Halal food at Curtin.

The Guild also provides avenues for students to network outside the classroom, with over 80 international, religious, academic, sporting and special interest clubs registered each year, and a healthy events calendar offering a wide range of social activities for students from all backgrounds. Guild members will enjoy discounts at all oncampus Guild outlets in 2010.

The Guild offers an independent and confidential welfare, advocacy, support and referral service to assist all students with any personal, welfare or academic issue that they may have. For more information see Student Assist on page 65.

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106F Tel: 9266 2900 Fax: 9266 2996 Email: reception@guild.curtin. Web:


S • • • •

Your Student Card is required when: Borrowing library books Setting up an email account Sitting examinations Having your SmartRider application endorsed.

The replacement fee is $15 if you lose your Student Card. Damaged or stolen cards (with a Police Crime Reference Number) will be replaced free of charge.

Note: A Student Card is NOT proof of enrolment. Students MUST carry their ID card at all times when on campus.


Student Services Offices and ID Counters

Student Number

Student numbers are allocated on your original Letter of Offer. This number is your identification number at Curtin. It is the means by which student records can be carried forward each year. Please ensure that your student number is entered on every enrolment, amendment, change of address form and correspondence submitted while studying at Curtin.

Student One

Student One is the core administrative system for student information and progression. The University uses the system to record a variety of details for all Curtin students including admission and enrolment,

examination results, demographics, financial liability and transactions, and graduation details.

Support Services

Curtin has a large number of support services – all of which are mentioned in this booklet. However, if you don’t know which service is the right one to support you, try our on-line service finder at au/servicefinder.cfm. Simply check the things you need a little advice on, click on “submit” and the finder will connect you to the right service. If anything at all is affecting your study, make sure you talk to someone. As we say – “Don’t drop out – drop in!”


Tax File Number

See Student Feedback page 67.

The Australian Federal Government requires anyone working in Australia or with an Australian bank account to have a Tax File Number. Banks must be provided with a Tax File Number to ensure that the correct tax is charged on any interest earned on an account. Tax File Number application forms are available from Student Central. Forms must be lodged at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and you must take your passport and

T Student ID Card with you. You may also apply online via the ATO website.

International Calls

Traffic and Road Safety

International students are generally treated the same as Australian residents for taxation purposes, however, they may be entitled to a rebate when returning home.

For more information contact the (ATO) Australian Taxation Office: Location: 45 Francis Street, Northbridge, WA 6003 Tel: 13 28 69


It is possible to get very good rates on international calls from these competitors.

Telstra currently operates the Australian National telephone system. However, due to deregulation, consumers have the choice of using other telecommunication providers for a number of services.

International students must pay a bond in order to arrange telephone connection. Currently, only Telstra will do this. Local calls have a set fee regardless of the duration of the call, however calls outside the Perth Metropolitan area, interstate and overseas are timed. Details of call costs are in the front of the White Pages Telephone Directory.

International calls can be very costly, so it is wise to check the cheapest time to call before dialing. It is possible to have a bar put on any telephone to stop timed-call numbers being dialed. This is particularly useful if sharing a house where there are concerns about splitting call costs. Timed call charges are itemised on each phone bill. Phone cards are sold at the Guild Front Counter, Vickery House Office and at most newsagents. Cards are available in A$5, A$10, A$20 and A$50 denominations and can be used to make local or international calls. Most international students find this a very convenient way of tracking their expenses. Telecommunications brochures are available in the reading area of the International Office.

For safety reasons, international students must familiarise themselves with Western Australian road rules. • Vehicles travel on the left hand side of the road • When crossing roads, look to the right, then left, then right again before proceeding



• Pedestrians are encouraged to cross at traffic lights or designated pedestrian crossings • Pedestrians must walk straight across the road, not diagonally, and exercise caution when stepping out from behind buses and other objects at the roadside • Exercise particular caution if you are from a country where traffic drives on the opposite side of the road.


Driving a motor vehicle in Australia (see also Motor Vehicles) As a visitor you can drive in WA on an overseas drivers’ licence for as long as it remains valid in the country of issue. If your overseas licence ceases to be valid, or expires, you must apply for a WA licence if you wish to continue driving. When driving in WA you must carry your overseas drivers licence and produce it for inspection at the request of any member of the Police Force. If your overseas licence is not written in English, it is advisable to carry your International Driving Permit or an approved English translation of your licence with you when you drive. You cannot drive on your overseas licence if you are disqualified from driving, your

driving privileges are withdrawn or 3 months has lapsed since the grant of a permanent resident visa.

Ensure that you adhere to the speed limits at all times. In builtup areas the speed limit is 50 km/h. Drivers should always be mindful of the safety of other road users and children near schools and recreation areas.

Adequate Comprehensive Car Insurance International students are advised to purchase comprehensive car insurance instead of just Third Party insurance because comprehensive insurance will also cover the cost of repairs to their own vehicles in the event of an accident. Car repair costs can be a significant amount and can therefore impact on the family budget.

Seat Belts and Mobile Phones In Australia, it is compulsory for passengers and drivers to wear a seatbelt. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure all passengers have fastened their seat belts. Usage of mobile phones while driving is an offence.

Distance Travel Although international students may be competent drivers, they are not necessarily experienced


with long distance travel in Australia. Students may also be inexperienced traveling at country speed limits. Country roads are often narrow and are used by large trucks and long ‘road trains’ travel at high speeds. Overtaking must be executed with great caution.

The great distances and long straight roads in regional areas often cause drivers to become easily fatigued, often resulting in impaired judgment and slower reflexes.

There is also a risk of having an accident when driving in rural areas at night due to various wildlife that may be crossing the road. Drivers should stop and rest at least once every two hours to have a brief walk or refreshment when driving long distances

Alcohol & Drugs Drink and drug driving is not tolerated. It is prohibited to drive any vehicle (including a bicycle) when under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Police will frequently administer a breath analysis to determine whether alcohol has been consumed and may request the driver to undertake a saliva test to determine the presence of any prescribed illicit drug.

The legal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit for

full licence holders in Western Australia is 0.05%, the equivalent of approximately one standard drink. Drivers who have not held a drivers licence for a period of two years (Provisional Drivers) must not exceed 0.0% BAC. For more information on ‘standard’ drinks and alcohol limits visit

Bicycles Students purchasing a bicycle must also purchase an approved safety helmet. It is compulsory to wear an approved safety helmet when riding a bicycle or motorcycle in Western Australia. Police can issue a fine if you fail to do so. Safety approved helmets are available in sports stores or department stores at a reasonable cost.


Public Transport Student Concession (Transperth) All full-time Curtin students are entitled to Transperth concession fares when travelling with a valid Tertiary SmartRider. Curtin Students can validate their tertiary concession entitlement by completing a Tertiary SmartRider form and getting this authorised at Student Central (Building 101). This completed form must then



be presented along with your SmartRider card to an authorised Retail Sales Outlet. Our closest RSO is located in the Curtin Bookshop.


Curtin students must note the only way to prove you are entitled to tertiary concession travel is to carry a Tertiary SmartRider encoded with your tertiary concession. Your Curtin student ID card is not accepted as proof. It is an offence to travel without a valid concession pass when travelling on a concession ticket. You risk getting a fine if you don’t. Public Transport to and from Curtin University The main buses to and from Curtin University are routes 72 and 75, which run between Curtin and Perth. Routes 34 and 72 go to Cannington Station. Routes 100 and 101 run between Curtin and Canning Bridge Station. The Circle Route (98 & 99) runs regularly and passes through Oats Street Station and Curtin University. Other buses that go to Curtin are routes 35 and 342. Trains run at least every 15 minutes during the day on all lines. Timetables are available on the Transperth website or alternatively at Guild Reception (Building 106F).

For more information, call the Transperth InfoLine on 13 62 13 or visit the Transperth website on and use the Journey Planner to plan your journey.

Taxi Swan Taxis and Black & White Taxis are the most widely used taxis in Western Australia. All taxis are meter operated by time and distance, and operate 24 hours a day. Taxis are indicated as being vacant by an illuminated sign on the roof and can be pre-booked by phone or on the Internet. Taxis can also be hailed on the street or found at taxi ranks throughout the city and at the airport. It is recommended that you book your taxi in advance to avoid delays, particularly on weekends.

A taxi service is available for disabled passengers. The service operates 24 hours a day.

This service can be booked by telephone on 9333 3377. Swan Taxis – 131 330 Web: Black and White Taxis – 131 008

Curtin University Bicycle Users Group The bicycle is a healthy, clean, quiet, non-polluting, affordable


form of transport. The objective of the Curtin University Bicycle Users Group (CUBUG) is to facilitate the usage of bicycles as a means of transport to, from and within Curtin. The group encourages staff and students to come along to meetings and get involved with helping to improve local facilities for cyclists. For cyclist facilities on campus see the Curtin Parking and Traffic website at alternative_transport

Travel Smart Guide There are alternatives to driving a car. Free printed copies of the local TravelSmart Guide are available from START Building 102. The Guide shows local facilities such as supermarkets, delis, public toilets, skate parks, playgrounds and post boxes. One side of the guide is for public transport - it shows bus routes, train stations, bus stops, wheelchair accessible services and train frequencies.

The other side of the guide is for walking and cycling - it shows Perth Bike Network routes, shared paths (for cyclists and walkers), bike lanes, walking trails, bike shops and bike parking

Travel There are two travel agents on the Bentley campus: STA Travel

Student Guild Building 104 Tel: +61 8 9266 7000 Email: and Kristend Travel can be found in Building 201.

Tuition Fees

Students are responsible for ensuring all tuition fees are paid by the due date and can address any enquiries about their tuition fees to the Fees Centre. If a student does not make payment by the due date stipulated on their tax invoice, a late payment fee may be applied.

Fee Calculation Tuition fees for degrees by coursework are calculated and charged on a semester basis. For an estimate of tuition fees for a course or unit, you can use the Fee Calculator found on the Fees Centre website

Masters by Research and Doctoral students may enrol at any time during an academic year and submit their theses for examination by the due dates set by their respective Schools/ Departments. As the tuition fees for a research degree are calculated on a pro-rata basis, the fee liability for the entire degree is determined


T from the date of enrolment to the date of submission of the thesis. However, tuition fees will be charged at the commencement of every research term and payment must be made by the due date of each research term period.


Please refer to www.students.curtin. index.cfm for the relevant due dates of fees. Other Student Charges and Levies Some courses require payment of incidental fees for items such as laboratory coats, field trips accommodation costs, material costs for project work etc. These additional costs are detailed in the Curtin Courses Handbook 2010 with more detailed information available from your School or Department. General information on incidental fees and charges can be found on the fees website at How to Pay Fees and Charges Payments may be made through any of the options listed on the back of a Fees Centre Tax Invoice. These options include BPay, POSTbillpay, credit card, cheque, and money order. Payment can also be made in person at any Australia Post Office or at the Curtin University Cashiers at Student Central in Building 101. However,

do be advised that the University Cashiers can only accept cash payments up to a maximum of $200 and that larger payments will need to be made by either EFTPOS, credit card, money order or cheque.

Students who make their payments using BPay and POSTbillpay should be aware that their payments may take up to four working days to be credited to their Curtin student accounts. For further information on the payment of fees and charges, please visit Enrolment Variations after Dispatch of Invoice If a unit is added after the generation of an initial invoice for a study period, an additional invoice will be issued to the student. However, the subsequent invoice will only list the amended unit(s) and not the original enrolment. Any additional monies owing from the change in enrolment must be paid at the time of amendment. Unless a student withdraws from a unit after an invoice is issued, payment towards the original invoice must still be made by the due date stipulated on that invoice.


Commonwealth Supported Students Students who are enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported place are required to pay their tuition fees in full by the due date or, if eligible, submit a HECS-HELP form (eCAF) with a valid tax file number by the due date. You can find additional information on the requirements to be eligible for Commonwealth Support or HECSHELP on the Fees Centre website Please note that a new HECS-HELP form (eCAF) must be submitted for every course that a student pursues.

Domestic Fee -Paying Students The University offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses on a fee-paying basis for Australian Citizens/Permanent Residents. Students will be invoiced on a semester basis according to their enrolment. Payment of fees will be required by: • Semester One: 5 March 2010 • Semester Two: 6 August 2010

Please note that a new FEE-HELP form must be submitted for every course that a student pursues.

International Students International students should inform their parents and/or sponsors that living expenses should not be included with tuition fee payments as the University does not disburse student living expenses.

International students should also be aware that their semester course fee shown on their Letter of Offer is an indicative figure that may vary from the actual tuition fee according to the units that are eventually undertaken. The indicative fee should only be used as a guide as the definitive tuition fee cannot be calculated until enrolment is completed.

If payment is not received by the due date stipulated on a tax invoice, a $150 late payment fee may be applied. Apart from the financial penalty imposed for late payment of fees, international students who fail to pay their tuition fees by the due date also risk having their enrolments cancelled.

International students with special circumstances who are having difficulty making

Students who are eligible may submit a FEE-HELP form with a valid tax file number by the due date to obtain a FEE-HELP loan to pay for their studies. You can find additional information on the requirements to be eligible for FEEHELP on the Fees Centre website



payment by the due date, who have incurred a late payment fee or who have had their enrolments cancelled may lodge an appeal in writing to the Manager, Fees Centre.


The Manager, Fees Centre, or a delegate, will assess the circumstances of the appeal and respond appropriately. All appeals must be accompanied by original/certified copies of supporting documentation and can be lodged either by mail or in person at Student Central. Do note that the inability to pay tuition fees on time due to money being held in a fixed term deposit account will not be accepted as a valid reason for special consideration. International students who have been cancelled from their enrolments and who have not lodged an appeal or who have been unsuccessful in their appeal will be reported to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). This will affect the validity of their student visas and their eligibility to remain in Australia. Sponsored Students Students who are sponsored by a private organisation or foreign government must ensure that the sponsoring body

completes the Sponsored Student Agreement form. Only one form is required per sponsor and this agreement is valid for three years. Sponsors must also complete the Sponsored Student Information form (one form per student) or provide an original financial guarantee to confirm sponsorship arrangements. If the sponsoring body does not return the Sponsored Student Agreement and Sponsored Student Information forms to the International Office, the student will be liable for payment of their own tuition fees. Please see for relevant forms and more information for sponsored students. Alternatively you can visit the International Sponsored Student Unit in the International Office (Building 103). Sponsored students will have an invoice sent to their sponsor who will pay the tuition fees on the students’ behalf. Sponsors can expect to receive an invoice prior to the due date. Tuition fee payments for sponsored students are required by the due date in accordance with the invoice. The University does not invoice sponsors for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) renewal. Students must pay their own


OSHC renewal and, if required, send their OSHC receipt to the sponsor for reimbursement. If a student’s sponsorship expires and an extension of the sponsorship is required it is the student’s responsibility to ensure they are granted an extension by their sponsor. In such instances the sponsor must complete a new Sponsored Student Information Form (or provide a new Letter of Financial Guarantee) which reflects the new extension end date of sponsorship. The form must then be returned to the International Office as soon as possible. Sponsored students should inform their sponsors that living expenses should not be paid with tuition fees, as the University does not disburse student living expenses. For matters relating to student fees, including sponsor fees, please contact the Fees Centre at Student Central, Building 101. For all other matters relating to sponsored international students please contact the International Office see page 41.


UniEnglish is an online tool that will help you to analyse your strengths and weaknesses in using the English language so

that you can decide whether you would benefit from English support programs. It is primarily aimed at students who come from backgrounds where English is not the main language of communication, but all students can have access to the tool on request.

UniEnglish includes four sections: Use of English/Reading, Listening. Speaking and Writing. It is voluntary, free of charge, and provides instant results online. It is accessible from any computer with internet access. For more information: Contact: Associate Professor Katie Dunworth Email: Tel: 9266 4227

Vice-Chancellor’s List

Each semester, high academic achievers are recognised by means of membership of the Vice Chancellor’s List (VC List). To gain membership, a student must be in the top 1% of students within their teaching area. Membership entitles students to attend functions and receive special considerations in the use of the library, as well as many other privileges. For more information visit or contact the Graduations Office.




Visa Officer

The International Student Visa Officer is available to assist with any student visa regarding current immigration rules and regulations. The Visa Officer can also assist with renewing and extending international student visas. Location: Building 101, Level 2 Tel: 9266 3399 Email:

Visa Renewal

Students whose visas are due to expire but have not yet completed their current course will need to apply for a new student visa. A Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) document is required for a student visa application. eCoEs are issued by the International Student Visa Officer at Student Central. Appropriate visa advice will be provided at the time of making your appointment. You should start your student visa application process at least four weeks before your current student visa expires. It is your responsibility to have a valid visa. For more information concerning the renewal of your student visa or to apply online visit


Curtin Volunteers See Page 22.

Orientation START Volunteers See page 52.

Volunteer for Curtin Community Projects Consider volunteering your time to work on Curtin’s community project it’s a great way for students and staff to have fun and make a real contribution to the wider community. Volunteer opportunities include fundraising for charity, working on environmental projects, getting involved in stress management activities and participating in unique social events. Organisations you will be helping include, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Cancer Council, Leukaemia Foundation, Wheelchairs for Kids, Parkerville Childrens Home and Movember.

Give volunteering a go – there are many benefits for you! You can gain new skills, meet new people, work as part of a team, feel good about helping others and have the opportunity to be innovative. In addition, you may gain valuable experience and skills that will make you more attractive to potential employers when you graduate.


Curtin Community Liaison Location: Curtin Hub, Building 599 Tel: 9266 2118 or 0401 103 154 Fax: 9266 3847 Email: services/cc_cat.cfm

John Curtin Weekend See Curtin Volunteering page 22.

Women’s Department

their Women’s Departments on both state and national levels. This allows them to work with other Women’s Departments to develop cross campus campaigns. Location: Guild Precinct, Building 106 Tel: 9266 3386 Email:

The Guild’s Women’s Department provides representation for the concerns of female students both on and off campus. The Department office, which doubles as a women’s common room, can be found in the Guild Precinct next to the Curtin University Postgraduate Students Association (CUPSA). The women’s room is a safe space for female students to relax, plan activities, hold small meetings and get information on women’s issues. The room is also a space for women to study on campus with their children, providing a computer, television, nappy change table, books and toys for use by mothers with children up to the age of 10 years. The Women’s Department organises female only social events and holds meetings once a month to discuss women’s issues. The Department is affiliated with the National Union of Students and


Index a

Abacus labs............................................6 Academic Status...................................6 Academic support.................................6 Academic Transcript.............................7 Accommodation....................................8 Alumni....................................................8 Appeals and Complaints......................9 Application for RPL............................ 59 Approval to Study Less than 100 Credits...................................... 30 ‘Askcurtin’ an Online Self Service ...........................................9 Assessment for RPL........................... 58 Ausaid Students....................................6


Bicycles (see Traffic and Road Safety)....................................... 71 Bookshops..............................................9 Bookshop Grants................................ 10 Borrowing Books................................ 44 Building Numbers ............................. 10 Bus (see Transport)............................ 72


Calendar & Handbook........................ 11 Campuses .......................................... 11 Career Centre...................................... 11 Career Voyage ................................... 12 Catering by Delaware North............. 37 Cashiers............................................... 12 CASS (see Student Feedback) .......... 67 CBS Communication Skills Centre......7 Cell Phone Access............................... 13 Census Dates ..................................... 13 Centrelink . ......................................... 13 Changing Personal Details................ 13 Changing your address..................... 13 Changing your name ........................ 14 Childcare Centre Curtin Early Childhood Centre....... 14 Clubs & Societies................................ 14


Commonwealth Supported Students (see Tuition Fees) . ......... 75 Computer Access............................... 15 Computer Help .................................. 15 Computers, Laptops, Servicing and Advice.................................................. 16 Computers, Printers Log-ins............. 45 Conciliator........................................... 16 Confirmation of Enrolment .............. 28 Conflict Resolution ........................... 16 Consuls . ............................................. 17 Copyright ........................................... 17 Copyright outside Australia............. 18 Council for International Students of Western Australia (CISWA) ....... 18 Counselling and Disability Services ........................................... 18 Course Changing ............................... 19 Course Completion ........................... 20 Courtesy Bus - Bentley . ................... 20 Cross-institutional Enrolment.......... 28 CUPSA (Curtin University Postgraduate Students Association)..................................... 20 Curtin Community Projects (see Volunteering)........................... 78 Curtin Connect .................................. 21 CurtinMobile....................................... 21 Curtin University Bicycle Users Group (see Transport)..................... 72 Curtin University Bookshop.................9 Curtin Stadium (see Sport and Recreation)....................................... 64 Curtin Volunteers .............................. 22


Deferred and Supplementary Examinations................................... 32 Dental Care......................................... 54 Dependants of International Masters and PhD Students (see Scholarships)........................... 60

Index Dependants of all other main stream International Students (see Scholarships)........................... 60 Department of Immigration & Citizenship (DIAC) . ........................ 22 Disability Services.............................. 23 Distance Education ........................... 23 Distant Education Examination....... 33 Distant Travel (see Traffic and Road Safety)............................. 70 Diversity ............................................. 24 Doctor (see Health services) ............ 24 Domestic Fee-Paying Students (see Tuition Fees)............................ 75 Driving a motor vehicle in Australia (see Traffic and Road Safety)......... 70 Drugs .................................................. 24


EduSafe............................................... 24 Email Access ...................................... 25 Employment ...................................... 25 Employment for International Students .......................................... 25 English Language Support................ 26 Enrolments ........................................ 27 Enrolment Sessions for International Students................... 27 Enrolment Variation ......................... 29 Enrolment Variations after Dispatch of Invoice (see Tuition Fees).................................................. 74 Equal Opportunity ............................ 31 eMate (see Mentor Programs) ......... 31 eStudent ............................................. 31 Events ................................................. 31 Examinations...................................... 32 Extension Studies . ............................ 34


Fair Dealing......................................... 17 Fax Facilities ...................................... 35 Fee Calculation .................................. 66 Financial Assistance ......................... 35

First Year Experience Support .......... 35 Fitness Centre..................................... 35 Flexible Learning Environment for Curtin Students (FLECS) .......... 35 Food Outlets....................................... 36


Graduation ......................................... 38 Guild (see Student Guild) ................. 67 Guild Copy Design Centre................. 57 Guild Employment Services.............. 25 Guild Gender and Sexuality Department . ................................... 63 Guild Second-Hand Bookshop.......... 10


Hair Salon........................................... 39 Health Cover (see Overseas Student Health Cover)...................................... 53 Health Services . ................................ 39 Help with English..................................7 Higher Degree by Research Scholarship...................................... 61 How to pay Student Charges and Levie (see tuition fees)............ 74


ID Counters (see Student Services Offices & ID Counters)..................... 68 InfoTrekk (see library)........................ 46 Insurance ........................................... 40 International Calls............................. 69 International Office ........................... 41 International Sponsored Students Unit (ISSU)....................... 41 International Students (see Tuition Fees).................................... 75 International Student Advisory Service ............................................. 42 International Students Committee (ISC).................................................. 42 iPortfolio ............................................ 43 iZone (see library).............................. 45


Index j

John Curtin Gallery............................ 43 John Curtin Weekend......................... 79


Leave of Absence . ............................. 43 Legal Assistance ............................... 44 Library................................................. 44 Library Database & Reserve Collection......................................... 45 Library Language............................... 46 Library Tours...................................... 46 Lost Property ..................................... 46


Market Day ........................................ 46 Mature-Age/Part-Time Students .... 46 Mentor Programs .............................. 47 Mobile Phone Access......................... 47 Money Management ......................... 47 Multi-faith Officer and Prayer Facilities .......................................... 48 Music@Curtin .................................... 49


National Liaison Committee (NLC)................................................. 50


OASIS .................................................. 50 Online Library..................................... 45 Optometrist ....................................... 51 Orientation ........................................ 51 Orientation START Volunteers ......... 52 Overseas Student Health Cover ( OSHC) ............................................. 53


Parking ............................................... 64 PC Camps............................................ 15 Pharmacy . ......................................... 55


Physiotherapy ................................... 55 Plagiarism .......................................... 56 Police .................................................. 56 Post Graduate Students (see CUPSA) .................................... 57 Public Transport Student Concession (see Transport)............ 72 Public Transport to and from Curtin University (see Transport)................................ 72 Prep Week (See Orientation)............. 51 Printing/Photocopying/Design Services ........................................... 57 Printer Fuel......................................... 57


Radio Stations ................................... 58 Recalling/Requesting Books............. 45 Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) ................................................ 58 Recreation Centre (see Sports and Recreation) . .................................... 64 Re-enrolling Students........................ 28 Refund of Tuition Fees ...................... 59 Research & Development ................. 59 Robertson Library.............................. 57 Rural Students.................................... 60


Sanctions ........................................... 60 Scholarships ...................................... 60 Scholarships email Alert! ................. 61 School-Age Dependants (see Scholarships)........................... 61 Seat belts and Mobile Phones (see Traffic and Road Safety)......... 70 Security & Safety .............................. 62 Sexuality and Gender and Diversity .......................................... 63 Shopping Hours . ............................... 64 Sport & Recreation ............................ 64 Speakers’ Corner................................ 26

Index Speak Up............................................. 26 Sponsored Students (see Tuition Fees)............................ 76 Spouse Dependants (see Scholarships)........................... 62 Student Assist ................................... 65 Student Central.................................. 66 Student Charges and Levies (see Tuition Fees)............................ 74 Student Feedback . ............................ 67 Student Guild . ................................... 67 Student Number . .............................. 68 Student One ....................................... 68 Student Personal Accident................ 40 Student Services and ID Counters . . 68 Supplementary Assessment............. 33 Supplementary Statement of Achievement..........................................8 Support Services................................. 68 Surveys (see Student Feedback) ..... 68


Withdrawal Under Special Circumstances.................................. 29 Women’s Department ...................... 79


Taxi (see Transport)........................... 72 Tax File Number ................................ 68 Telecommunications ........................ 69 The Learning Centre..............................7 Traffic & Road Safety ........................ 69 Transport............................................ 71 Travel (see Transport)........................ 73 Travelsmart Guide (see Transport).. 73 Tuition Fees ....................................... 73


Undergraduate & Postgrad (Studying by Coursework).............. 61 UniEnglish .......................................... 77 Unit Additions.................................... 29 Unit Withdrawals............................... 29


Vice Chancellor’s List ....................... 77 Visa Officer . ....................................... 78 Visa Renewal . .................................... 78 Volunteering ...................................... 78



1 84

Security, Parking & Traffic

Student Central

Bentley Campus


Curtin University A-Z guide  

Handy guide for current students to work out how to settle into Curtin University.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you