Global community Welcome to Our
Minnesota, U.S.A. | www.CSBSJU.edu/international
Saint Johnâ€™s university
Together, the College of Saint Benedict (CSB) and Saint John’s University (SJU), form a partnership of two of the top undergraduate liberal arts schools in the United States. • CSB/SJU combine the opportunities of large, research universities with the individual faculty attention, engaging classrooms and academic challenges of smaller, selective schools.
• Through our one-of-a-kind partnership, CSB/SJU students share two campuses and one combined academic curriculum. Students from both schools attend classes together and use the academic facilities, dining halls, fine arts facilities, libraries and athletic centers on both campuses. • The campuses are located approximately nine kilometers apart and are connected by a free, convenient and frequent shuttle bus service called The Link.
A unique PARTNERSHIP
CSB/SJU rank among the top three colleges in the U.S. for the number of students completing semester-long study abroad.
More than 200 academic courses have an international component, and one-third of our professors have led a study abroad program. Academic Courses
• Women live at CSB and men live at SJU. • CSB/SJU are committed to the development of the whole person, meeting the unique needs of both women and men in single-gender and coeducational experiences.
CSB/SJU enroll 180 international students from around the world, creating a culturally diverse global experience on campus.
RESIDENTIAL LIFE & FACILITIES • Nearly all students live on campus and almost all are full-time students between 18-22 years old. • All first-year and sophomore students live in on-campus residence halls.
• High-quality four-person and six-person apartments are available to juniors and seniors. • Extensive residential life programming and staff support building community, creating friendships, fostering growth, enhancing character and developing social and leadership skills.
SUPPORT FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS • Unique Mentor Program and an on-going orientation/U.S. culture class ensure all new international students receive highquality support for cultural adjustment and classroom success
• Internship opportunities with corporations, government agencies and nonprofit organizations in Minnesota, throughout the U.S. and abroad • University-sponsored, semester-long international study opportunities in 20 countries
• International and Intercultural Student Services – visa advising, programming, personal support
• Extensive opportunities for volunteer service locally, nationally and internationally
• International Student Academic Adviser
Health services available on both campuses. A major regional hospital is located close by.
• Special global events such as Festival of Cultures, Asian/Chinese New Year celebrations, Caribbean Week, cultural and food events
• English as a Second Language courses and support
OTHER RESOURCES • Job-search assistance including a strong, extensive and successful network of graduates • On-campus interviews with many companies, and a career resource center offering ongoing programs
Safety – 24-hour fully staffed security and escort services enhance an already very safe environment.
Excellent and healthy food with wide variety of options for many tastes.
IDEAL LOCATION • Minnesota ranks among the top states in the U.S. for quality of life, health, business, employment and safety. It is ranked second for the most Fortune 500 companies per capita. • CSB/SJU students experience the beauty and variety of four distinct seasons with warm summers, colorful falls, snowy winters and refreshing springs. • The campuses, among the most beautiful in the U.S., are set amidst 3,000 acres (1,200 hectares) of lakes, woods, prairie and wetlands and have 15 miles (24 kilometers) of hiking trails. • CSB/SJU setting is ideal for outdoor activities. Running, biking, rowing and fishing are among the popular options. • Students have easy access to the shopping, dining and entertainment of nearby St. Cloud and the larger metropolitan area of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
activities More than 80 academic, special interest, political and service organizations, including Asia Club, Bahamian Club, French Club, German Club, International Affairs Club
11 csb • 12 SJU
Intramural & club sports
Amazing athletic and fitness facilities including two fitness centers, two pools, many courts, fields and spaces for basketball, volleyball, soccer (futbol), baseball, softball, football, badminton, running, hiking, wall climbing, swimming, fishing, etc.
Information about application process and links to forms: www.csbsju.edu/international.
Academic PROGRAM 60+
Areas of Study
More than 60 areas of study (majors, minors and pre-professional programs).
• The Common Application or the CSB/SJU GET INspired Application
• Cost for tuition, fees, room and board (food) for the 2016-2017 school year is $52,805 for CSB and $51,624 for SJU.
• Writing sample/essay • Official academic records/transcripts TOEFL score
TOEFL (80), IELTS (6.5) and/or SAT exam results • Teacher evaluation • International Student Certification of Finances Form
F our-month fall and spring semesters make up the “school year”.
• B achelor of Arts for most majors. Bachelor of Science in Nursing. • C SB/SJU are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a Member of the North Central Association.
The typical grades (marks) for admitted international students are the equivalent of As and Bs in the U.S. grading system.
Regular application date is April 1 for fall semester applicants.
• “Rolling admission” process – admission decisions are made within 2-4 weeks after application process is completed.
• Costs and scholarships at U.S. universities change each year. Scholarship information is available at www.csbsju.edu/international.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE • Most international students receive an International Student Scholarship which ranges from $10,000 to $23,500. Scholarships are based on merit and financial circumstances and are renewable each school year. • On-campus student employment is available during the school year – students can earn up to $3,350 per year. Have a U.S. citizen co-signer for the loan; the colleges do not arrange for the loans or obtain co-signers for these loans (family responsibility).
• U.S. News & World Report ranks CSB/SJU among the top undergraduate colleges in the U.S. • Two of Money Magazine’s 2016 top 50 colleges in the U.S. • P eterson’s Competitive Colleges lists CSB/SJU among colleges and universities that attract the world’s best students. • According to The Princeton Review, CSB/SJU are two of the nation’s best colleges for students seeking great academics, outstanding career preparation and generous financial aid. • The John Templeton Foundation includes CSB/SJU in its Honor Roll of CharacterBuilding Colleges, which recognizes universities that promote character and value development. • Institute of International Education (IIE) ranks CSB/SJU among the top undergraduate colleges in the U.S. for international study. More than half of CSB/SJU students study internationally. • CSB/SJU were recipients of NAFSA’s Senator Paul Simon Campus Internationalization Award, recognizing the colleges’ efforts to internationalize our campuses. • Colleges of Distinction lists CSB/SJU among colleges that have engaged students, great teaching, vibrant community spirit and successful graduates.
admission APPLICATION PROCESS
RANKINGS and ENDORSEMENTS
CSB/SJU alums volunteering to assist current students with career exploration
Students of traditional college age (18-22)
8 10 out of
faculty are Full-Time
companies visit CSB/SJU each year to interview our students for internships and permanent positions.
graduates are employed, in graduate school or engaged in a full-time volunteer program within 1 year of graduating from CSB/SJU.
90% Graduates completing degree in four years
classes taught by faculty
Our centuries-old Benedictine tradition – hospitality, community, stewardship and service to the common good are values expressed inside and outside the classroom. • Students from all backgrounds, cultures and faith/religious traditions are welcome. • A Catholic intellectual tradition committed to openness, intellectual inquiry and a lively engagement of faith and reason. • The colleges share a commitment to ecumenism and interfaith dialogue.
Average Class Size
CATHOLIC and BENEDICTINE TRADITION
All students complete independent research, an internship or other engaged learning experiences
• Students put values into practice – volunteering locally and around the world. Take a virtual tour at www.csbsjutour.com and an aerial tour at www.csbsjuvideo.com. Minnesota, U.S.A. www.csbsju.edu/international
Accounting - Finance - Public Accounting - Traditional Anthropology* Art - Art Education - Studio Art Art History* Asian Studies Athletic Training (See Exercise Science and Sports Studies) Biochemistry Biology Book Arts* Business (See Global Business Leadership) Chemistry - American Chemical Society - Chemical Biology - Environmental Chemistry - Industrial/Materials Chemistry Chinese* Chiropractic** Classical Languages Communication Computer Science Dentistry** Economics Education: Elementary Education: Secondary* Education: Teaching English as an International Language* Education: English as a Second Language* Engineering** English - English Secondary Education - Creative Writing Environmental Studies
European Studies - Classical Studies - Medieval and Renaissance Studies - Modern European Studies Exercise Science and Sports Studies* Finance (See Accounting) Forestry** French Studies Gender Studies German Studies Global Business Leadership Greek* Hispanic Studies History Individualized Major Integrated Science Japanese* Latin* Latino/Latin American Studies* Law** Mathematics Medicine** Music - Liturgical Music - Music Composition - Music Education - Music Studies - Performance Numerical Computation - Discrete Computation - Over the Continuum Nursing Nutrition - Dietetics - Food and Business - Nutrition Science Occupational Therapy** Optometry** Peace Studies Pharmacy**
Philosophy Physical Therapy** Physician Assistant** Physics - Applied Physics Political Science Priesthood Studies/Lay Ministry** Psychology Social Science Sociology - Anthropology Spanish (See Hispanic Studies) Sports Medicine*
(See Exercise Science and Sports Studies)
Theater Theology - Pastoral Ministry Veterinary Medicine** Women’s Studies (See Gender Studies) Writing* Other Courses Coaching/Exercise Science Dance Military Science/ROTC Language in Translation
* Minor ** Pre-professional program - Areas of concentration
Graduate Schools After CSB/SJU, our alums are accepted into and succeed at some of the best graduate schools in the world. • Duke University • Harvard • INSEAD Global MBA (#1 ranked in world) • Mayo School of Health Sciences • New York University • Stanford University • University of Minnesota • University of Notre Dame • Yale
Alex Schleper Director of International Admission Email: email@example.com Phone: 320-363-2263 Web: www.csbsju.edu/international Facebook: facebook.com/ csbsjuinternationaladmission WeChat ID: csbsju
WeChat page: CSBSJUinternational Skype: alex.schleper1