Wld66

Page 1

Serving Oregon’s South Coast Since 1878

Future college athletes

Ocean Ridge celebration

Marshfield seniors with college plans, B1

Facility honors high school employees graduating, A2

SHOWERS 54 • 46  FORECAST, A8  |  SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2020  |  theworldlink.com  | $2

Safety fee reduction impacts JILLIAN WARD The World

NORTH BEND — The North Bend Police Department stands to lose seven police officer positions and one dispatcher as the city plans to accommodate a reduced public safety fee. On Thursday, the North Bend City Council met in a work session to discuss the proposed budget for 2020-2021. The budget decreased by $785,000 after 58% of voters reduced the public safety fee last month, approving Measure 6-177. The vote brought

the fee down from $30 to $15. The citizen initiative passed after years of discord between the public and the city council as the fee increased on residents’ water bills. In what began at $5 soon became $30, even after a 2018 vote that said “No” to any additional increases. During the work session, City Manager Terence O’Connor said a judge identified that the cuts could only come out of the police department rather than the North Bend Fire Department “even though we placed both of those in the category of

public safety….” When asked about this, O’Connor said he could not comment on ongoing litigation. During the election, The World pointed out that there was no mention in the ballot measure’s summary of firefighters losing personnel and asked why a reduction of the fee would impact fire services. In response to these questions, O’Connor had said, “… the departments are both funded out of the general fund. … As funds get eliminated or reduced, there is a domino effect on how that impacts all of the

operations in the general fund. Police and fire are the preeminent users of tax dollars and fees of the general fund because taxes don’t cover the cost of police and fire….” For the North Bend Police Department to lose seven officers, O’Connor told The World after Thursday’s work session that this would leave 13 officers on staff, adding that this would impact the department’s ability to provide 24-7 coverage. “As it stands now, that which we said in the ballot explanation is what we’re moving forward

with, which is no police services from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.,” O’Connor said. That change will begin July 1 so long as the city approves the budget next Tuesday, June 9. “Clearly it’s not a decision anyone wished to have happen, however voters have decided they wanted to reduce the funding so we’re reducing personnel,” O’Connor said. During public comment at the start of Thursday’s work session, North Bend resident Patty Cook encouraged the city Please see Fee, Page A8

County enters Phase II

Advocates in downtown Coos Bay

ZACH SILVA The World

Amanda Linares, The World

A small group of local advocates in support of Black Lives Matter, a human rights movement founded in 2013 to campaign against violence and systemic racism toward African-Americans, stood near the mural of Steve Prefontaine on Thursday in downtown Coos Bay. The advocates said they wanted to show up in solidarity of black and brown communities and to honor George Floyd, who died last week after a Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee into Floyd’s neck and kept it there for eight minutes and 46 seconds. His death sparked protest, both nationwide and around the world, to end police brutality.

Thousands march for 7th night PORTLAND (AP) — Thousands of protesters marched for the seventh consecutive night Thursday in Portland, Oregon to decry the death of George Floyd. NBA Portland Trail Blazer star Damian Lillard walked at the front of the crowd arm-inarm with young demonstrators as they crossed the Morrison Bridge over the Willamette River and made their way to a large riverside park for a rally and speeches. Hours later, a smaller group gathered outside the Justice Center but also remained largely peaceful, police said.

Around 1:30 a.m., after most protesters had gone home, several hundred people remained downtown and set fires, engaged in street-racing, threw projectiles and pointed lasers at officers’ eyes, according to the Portland Police Bureau. Officers used a sound device that emits loud, high frequencies to deter those people. Twelve people were arrested, according to police. “For another night, thousands of peaceful demonstrators were able to demonstrate, march, and express their first amendments rights in a safe manner. We thank them once

again for managing a successful event,” said Police Chief Jami Resch. “We will continue to facilitate free speech and assembly and focus efforts on arresting those who engage in criminal activity that reduces our public safety.” At a news conference on Friday, Mayor Ted Wheeler said the money saved by taking school resource officers out of Portland’s schools would be funneled into programs and initiatives to support the city’s underrepresented residents. He also said in response to a question that he would never completely defund the Portland

Police Bureau, but said “everything was on the table” to bring equality to Portland’s black community. “I’ve committed to do anything I can and that includes for people like me being willing to cede both power and privilege. So I would argue that everything is on the table in the pursuit of equality and justice,” Wheeler said. “I’m willing enough to be humble, I’m willing to be in a listening mode rather than a speaking or reactionary or defensive mode and I truly ... want to do what is in the best interest of this community.”

COOS COUNTY — Coos County entered Phase II of statewide reopening on Friday instead of Saturday. On Thursday afternoon, the county was approved to enter into Phase II of statewide reopening for Saturday, in accordance with language from the Governor’s Office that stated counties could open after 21 days of being in Phase I. Some counties were unclear on which day they could reopen. Coos County reached out to the Governor’s Office and received permission to open on Friday. In a letter from Governor Kate Brown addressed to Coos County Board of Commissioners Chair Melissa Cribbins, Brown gave the green light. “Thank you for the effort you, your residents and your public health system have put into containing the spread of COVID-19 in your county. I am pleased to inform you that your county’s application to enter Phase 2 on June 6th has been approved,” wrote Brown. Coos County entered into Phase I of the reopening process on May 15. Entering into Phase II includes the continued opening of swimming pools, spas, tennis courts, bowling alleys, movie theaters in addition to larger gatherings. The Governor’s Office had initially stated that local gatherings could be up to 100 people but this number is subject to change. In the letter to Coos County, Brown then laid out that the goals for this new Phase are much like the initial reopening process. This includes a continued minimization of hospitalizations; allowing people to safely return to work; minimized risk for frontline workers; protecting those at the highest risk; and allowing for small gatherings. “I want to be clear that moving to Phase 2 comes with increased risk. With every restriction lifted we know transmission of the Please see Phase II, Page A8

ATTENTION SUBSCRIBERS!!! If you did not receive a paper Wednesday or Thursday your subscription may have expired. Please go to www.theworldlink.com/subscribe to re-enroll for delivery or Call 541-266-6047. Photo gallery: Making history: a pandemic-era graduation Photo gallery: Sheep Ranch has joyful opening day

AT THEWORLDLINK.COM

W  •  Serving Oregon’s South Coast since 1878  •  A Country Media Newspaper  •  Copyright 2020 Follow us online:

SOUTH COAST A2 OPINION A4 OBITUARIES A5

facebook.com/theworldnewspaper

COMICS C3 WEATHER A8 SPORTS B1

twitter.com/TheWorldLink

instagram.com/theworldlink


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.