WLD519

Page 1

Serving Oregon’s South Coast Since 1878

Amateur on schedule

Man found

Event still set for August, B1

Missing Bandon man located, A3

LOW CLOUDS  61 • 50  FORECAST, A8  |  TUESDAY, MAY 19, 2020  |  theworldlink.com  | $2

Voter turnout surges JILLIAN WARD The World

Zach Silva, The World

After opening up Friday, the Coos Bay Speedway has closed once again.

Speedway closes again Speedway holds race on Friday, cancels events going forward ZACH SILVA The World

COOS BAY — After reopening for one race last week, the Coos Bay Speedway has closed its gates once more. As select businesses around the county got the green light to reopen last Friday under the county’s Phase I reopen plan, the Coos Bay Speedway opened back up as well. The Speedway, a NASCAR sanctioned race track, scheduled events over the weekend while being in violation of Executive Order 20-25 which does not allow for recreational gatherings. Street drags occurred on Friday night, but the Coos Bay Speedway announced on Saturday that upcoming races

were canceled. On Friday the organization received a letter from Rick Hallmark, the program manager of Environmental Health Services at Coos Health and Wellness. “…(T)he governor’s Executive Order 20-25 may allow you to serve some food from the building you have licensed as a restaurant, but the same order only allows recreational gatherings for up to 10 people,” the letter read. “This is your only warning.” The letter said that the actions are punishable, which could result in a Class C misdemeanor and the revocation of their restaurant license. “Well folks, we are done for a while. It appears that the county/ state has shut us down after last night,” said the Coos Bay Speedway in a post online. “Just give us some more time to find another loophole if we can.” Before opening on Friday, Drake Nelson, owner of the

Speedway, said that the racetrack is a dining establishment. “Well, we are a bar and grill is where we’re at. Bar and grills can have as many people that can fit in their deal. So you know, I don’t really — like I said, it’s not really something I want to talk about at this point. We’re so borderline with what we’re doing,” said Nelson. In a post before Friday’s races, the Coos Bay Speedway provided a list of changes made at the track to promote public safety. Sanitizing stations were in place, grandstand seating was marked off showing where people can sit and employees would be wearing masks among other changes. “All social distancing rules apply and any violators will be escorted off the property,” the post said. Individuals who attended Friday’s events reported that social distancing guidelines were not followed by all spectators.

Earlier this month Governor Kate Brown stated that sporting events with a crowd will not be allowed through, at least, September. “Large gatherings, including large sporting events with audiences, concerts, festivals and conventions will not be able to return until we have a reliable treatment or prevention, like a vaccine. The Oregon Health Authority is advising that any large gathering, at least through September, should be canceled or at least significantly modified,” said Brown. In Oregon, live sporting events will be able to return once counties are in Phase III. “Concerts, conventions, festivals, live audience sports won’t be possible until a reliable treatment or prevention is available. It is unknown at this time when this will be,” read Governor Brown’s “Reopening Oregon: Details on Restarting Public Life and Business” document.

Adults at Shutter Creek quoted in lawsuit Lawsuit describes poor treatment of adults in custody during coronavirus ZACH SILVA The World

OREGON — Seven adults in custody at Oregon correctional facilities are plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit against Oregon Governor Kate Brown and the Oregon Department of Corrections. The seven individuals, all over the age of 60, are seeking a temporary restraining order and for

adults in custody around the state to be given safer living facilities during a global pandemic. Three adults in custody from Shutter Creek Correctional Institution were quoted in declarations filed by the witnesses in the case. The case was filed in April. “We are simply asking the Department of Corrections and Governor Brown to do what is constitutionally required of them: to protect the health and wellbeing of those in their care,” said Juan Chavez via a press release. Chavez is representing the plaintiffs and is the Civil Rights Project Director for the Oregon Justice Resource Center. As of Monday there were 146 positive coronavirus cases asso-

ciated with correctional facilities across the state. The last two weeks have seen the case number continue to grow as the disease has impacted the Oregon State Penitentiary where there are now 80 positive cases in adults in custody and 22 employees have tested positive. Shutter Creek Correctional Facility has had 25 adults in custody test positive. Two employees have tested positive and one employee is considered a presumptive positive despite testing negative. The legal case includes 15 quotes from adults in custody around the state. Three individuals who are incarcerated at Shutter Creek were quoted

discussing how the virus has impacted them. “I’m on day 21 of being sick. I signed a waiver not to get tested. I only have 90 days left in custody and I don’t want to get lost. I’ve had heart palpitations and struggle to breathe at times,” said Steven Richards of Shutter Creek. “This is the second time I’ve been sick with the same symptoms. On or about March 2 I went to medical telling them I felt like I was dying, and they told me to gargle with salt water. They gave me five packets of salt and said to snort it if I couldn’t breathe. I called my mom and told her I felt like I was dying,

Photo gallery: The Face of Coronavirus   Photo gallery: Marshfield Junior High School construction

AT THEWORLDLINK.COM

D  •  Serving Oregon’s South Coast since 1878  •  A Country Media Newspaper  •  Copyright 2020 Follow us online:

Please see Lawsuit, Page A8 SOUTH COAST A2 OPINION A4 OBITUARIES A5

facebook.com/theworldnewspaper

COOS COUNTY — So far, more voters have turned out for the current primary election than in previous years. On Monday, the Coos County Elections Office reported 15,854 ballots received out of a total of 46,600 ballots sent out. “…We’re at 34.3% percent so far (of ballots received) and in 2016 we were only at 31%,” said Debbie Heller, county clerk. According to county records, the primary presidential 2012 election saw 28.4% voter turnout at the same point in time. Compared just to 2016, Heller said this election is steadily ahead by 5,000 more ballots. When asked why, she suggested part of it could be that this is the first election with pre-paid postage “Pre-paid postage made ballots come in earlier, I believe,” she said, but added, “Presidential (elections) are just very popular. Everyone wants to vote, so your returns are higher there.” At the end of Election Day in the 2016 primary, there was a total of 56% ballots returned.

Please see Voting, Page A8

Court halts ruling nixing restrictions SALEM (AP) — The Oregon Supreme Court halted a rural judge’s order which had tossed out statewide coronavirus restrictions imposed by Gov. Kate Brown in a case brought by churches arguing the Democrat exceeded her authority. Baker County Circuit Judge Matthew Shirtcliff had ruled that Brown erred by not seeking the Legislature’s approval to extend the stay-at-home orders beyond a 28-day limit. The Supreme Court’s late Monday decision stays Shirtcliff’s decree pending review by all the high court justices. In a statement, Brown praised the Supreme Court action. “There are no shortcuts for us to return to life as it was before this pandemic. Moving too quickly could return Oregon to the early days of this crisis, when we braced ourselves for hospitals to be overfilled,” she said. The lower court judge had issued his opinion in response to a lawsuit filed earlier this month by 10 churches around Oregon that argued the state’s social distancing directives were unconstitutional. In a seven-page opinion, Shirtcliff wrote that the damage to Oregonians and their livePlease see Restrictions, Page A8

COMICS A6 WEATHER A8 SPORTS B1

twitter.com/TheWorldLink

instagram.com/theworldlink

WE ARE STILL HERE FOR YOU!

Top Appliances, Furniture and Mattresses, All Under One Roof!

The Mattress Store

Bay appliance & TV

$

2579

$

2297

541.269.5158

$

769

$

685

$

685

$

999

$

999

253 S. Broadway, Coos Bay (Next to the Egyptian Theatre)


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.