WLD418

Page 1

Serving Oregon’s South Coast Since 1878

Ionescu is top pick

Fatal fire in Reedsport

Oregon standout goes No. 1 in WNBA draft, B1

Douglas County Major Crimes Team investigates, A3

MOSTLY CLOUDY  55 • 45  FORECAST, A8  |  SATURDAY, APRIL 18, 2020  |  theworldlink.com  | $2

They’re fending off famine Local services stretching to help a fast-growing flock JILLIAN WARD The World

SOUTH COAST — “I feel like Santa Claus,” says Scott Cooper. Cooper, executive director of Alternative Youth Activities (AYA), a nonprofit group and private school for youth throughout the South Coast as well as adjudicated youth, is working hard to keep his students and their families fed during the coronavirus pandemic. Two weeks ago, the Oregon Food Bank increased the ability of local pantries to hand out food to people living below 300% of the federal poverty line. For Cooper, that means more students and families can stay fed during this economic plunge. “It started off with making sure our students had food,” he said. “We deal with a lot of homeless children and generational poverty, so it started out with giving food boxes rather than just a meal at lunchtime.” Somewhat like Santa, Cooper

Jillian Ward, The World

Though Harmony United Methodist Church isn’t holding usual services, Pastor Don Ford is still streaming services at 11 a.m. on Sundays through its Facebook page. Here he sits with Goofy, a favorite toy with children from the congregation. Goofy, now called Lonely, has his own mask to protect him from COVID-19.

Please see Famine, Page A8

Shutter Creek transfers stopped ZACH SILVA The World

LAKESIDE — Adult in Custody Transfers coming into Shutter Creek Correctional Institution were halted April 7, according to the Oregon Department of Corrections. “This aligns with our tiered approach for the treatment and prevention of COVID. Only transfers for medical/life saving measures, and statutory requirements,” said DOC communications manager Jennifer Black in an email to The World. Transfers into the state mini-

mum security facility had been a point of contention in the past week after an individual tested positive for the novel coronavirus last Thursday. The adult in custody who tested positive, and was taken to a different facility, transferred in on March 11. According to Black, 30 adults in custody transferred into Shutter Creek in the last month. “These transfers were all associated with releases to the community or part of the intake process for placing new (adults in custody),” Black wrote, noting that precautions are in

place. “As part of the existing transfer process, all (adults in custody) are medically screened prior to leaving the facility. This practice is still being followed.” Shutter Creek received a negative test back from an adult in custody earlier this week and are awaiting the results of a few other tests, including one for an employee. “The situation with a congregate setting, whenever there is a positive test, there are a lot of actions and protocols … centered around the idea that everyone is potentially infected,” said Brian Leon, an epidemiologist

with Coos Health and Wellness last week. “We know that’s not the case but we certainly look at any particular person that’s been in the building lately as a potential case.” Leon and a team from Coos Health and Wellness are currently investigating how the virus made its way to Shutter Creek. Around the state, Santiam Correctional Institution has confirmed six employees and four adults in custody have contracted the virus while four employees at the Oregon State Penitentiary tested positive.

Pelican Harbor Food Bank returns to help a struggling community AMANDA LINARES The World

NORTH BEND — Pelican Harbor Food Bank has not only returned to the area, but already helped feed over 800 families in the past week. The independent food bank’s co-founder, Laurel Broman, said she can’t recall ever seeing this many people show up. And she has participated in the monthly giveaways for over 15 years. Pelican Harbor reopened this month and hosted four different food giveaways so far as a way to help residents struggling through the coronavirus-driven recession. And on Thursday, the food bank’s volunteers handed out thousands of pounds of food to hundreds of families impacted by the pandemic. The food bank’s commercial truck, which usually holds 43,000 pounds of food, stood in the parking lot of the Pony Village Mall near volunteers as they handed out items. From April 1 to 8, the food bank has so far received over 100,000 pounds of food. According to Broman, more than 800 people showed up last Thursday

Amanda Linares, The World

A volunteer separates boxes of potatoes Thursday in the parking lot of Pony Village Mall. to pick up food. All in this together, Broman said the families who attended Thursday were very sweet and

thankful to be receiving their help. This month also saw an increase in volunteers. Accord-

ing to Broman, a majority of their volunteers are considered to be at a higher risk for more

Photo gallery: Graber wins Oregon Music Educator of the Year AT THEWORLDLINK.COM W  •  Serving Oregon’s South Coast since 1878  •  A Country Media Newspaper  •  Copyright 2020 Follow us online:

Please see Food, Page A8 SOUTH COAST A2 OPINION A4 OBITUARIES A5

facebook.com/theworldnewspaper

Bandon murders

Cause of death released COOS COUNTY — The autopsies of the bodies of Jasmine Moon and Michael Lambert were completed Wednesday afternoon, according to a press release from Coos County District Attorney R. Paul Frasier. Moon and Lambert died following a shooting and stabbing that occurred early Saturday morning at a residence just north of Bandon. Lambert, 55, suffered a gun shot wound to the neck, which was not a fatal wound, Frasier wrote. However he suffered multiple stab wounds to the back and neck. Several of the stab wounds to the back pierced his left lung, causing massive internal bleeding, leading to his death. Moon, 28, suffered multiple gun shot wounds to her torso, resulting in fatal injuries to her lungs and heart. On Saturday at approximately 6:36 a.m. a 911 call was received by the Coos County 911 Center in Coquille, where police learned that a male adult was reporting that he had been shot and stabbed. The individual who reported that he had been attacked was identified as Michael Ray Lambert, who had reportedly gone to a neighbor’s house to report his injuries, saying he had been attacked in his residence located at 88577 Weiss Estates, an unincorporated area of the the county just north of the city of Bandon. Lambert was transported to Bay Area Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery but later that day died of his injuries. Police discovered the body of Jasmine Mae Moon at Lambert’s residence, who had died by means of homicidal violence. Later in the afternoon, police arrested Ashley Margaret Webber, 33, who had been staying at the Weiss Estates Please see Homicide, Page A7

COMICS C3 WEATHER A8 SPORTS B1

twitter.com/TheWorldLink

instagram.com/theworldlink


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.