Serving Oregon’s South Coast Since 1878
Howard to join Beavers
Captured
NB senior will jump for OSU, A10
Bakersfield fugitive arrested in Port Orford, A3
PARTLY CLOUDY 64 • 52 FORECAST, A9 | THURSDAY, MAY 28, 2020 | theworldlink.com | $2
Boundaries limit students JILLIAN WARD The World
COOS BAY — Not every student from Blossom Gulch Elementary will be transferred to the new Eastside School in the fall. The new elementary school is slated to be completed this summer, built with part of the $59.9 million Coos Bay BEST Bond approved by voters in 2017. Its main reason for construction was to get students out of Blossom Gulch Elementary, which is sinking little by little every year and causing major structural issues. At the end of the current academic school year, Blossom Gulch was home to 600 students
from kindergarten through third grade. However, Eastside will only be able to house around 380 students, said Bryan Trendell, superintendent of the Coos Bay School District. The remaining students will be sent to Madison Elementary in Empire. Meanwhile, all third graders will either go to Millicoma School, situated next to Eastside, or to Sunset School near Madison Elementary. “We already had boundaries for Sunset and Millicoma (schools),” Trendell said, referring to lines in the district that determine which buildings children attend. He explained that in the past,
after students moved on from Blossom Gulch, some would go to Millicoma and a few always went to Sunset due to that boundary being different than the elementary school boundaries. “Now we are essentially two campuses on either side of town,” he said. Because third graders will no longer be in the district’s elementary schools after this year, Trendell estimates that roughly 75 students from Blossom Gulch will move on to Madison Elementary in the fall. Meanwhile, Eastside will open with 380 students from Blossom Gulch.
Please see Boundaries, Page A9
Ed Glazar, The World
A contractor works framing interior walls at the future Eastside School in Coos Bay in February.
US layoffs climb to 41 million
Holiday Lights at Shore Acres canceled
days of letting Coos Health and Wellness know what was going on. Meanwhile, the most recent positive case came in last week for an individual who was showing symptoms around two months ago. “We’re a little too soon to know about our most recent case. His other health conditions are probably going to make answering that question very problematic,” said Leon. According to the Oregon Health Authority, three cases in Coos County have recovered.
WASHINGTON (AP) — An estimated 2.1 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week despite the gradual reopening of businesses around the country, bringing the running total since the coronavirus shutdowns took hold in mid-March to about 41 million, the government said Thursday. The figures underscored the continuing damage to businesses and livelihoods from the outbreak that has now killed at least 100,000 people in the U.S., more than the number of Americans lost in the Vietnam and Korean wars combined, and more than 33 times the death toll on 9/11. The U.S. unemployment rate was 14.7% in April, the highest since the Great Depression, and many economists expect it will near 20% in May. First-time applications for unemployment, though still extraordinarily high, have fallen for eight straight weeks, and states are gradually letting stores, restaurants, salons, gyms and other businesses reopen. But other employers are still laying off workers in the face of a deep recession. Elsewhere around the world, India saw another record daily jump in coronavirus cases, while Russia reported a steady increase in its caseload, even as the city of Moscow and provinces across the vast country moved to ease restrictions in sync with the Kremlin’s political agenda. India, home to more than 1.3 billion people, reported more than 6,500 new infections, bringing the nation’s total to over 158,000. The spike comes as the nation’s 2-month-old lockdown is set to end Sunday. The country has recorded over 4,500 deaths. Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government is preparing guidelines to be issued this weekend, possibly extending the lockdown in hard-hit areas. Earlier this month, the country allowed the reopening of shops and factories and the resumption
Please see Virus, Page A9
Please see Layoffs, Page A9
Amanda Linares, The World
The 34th annual Holiday Lights at Shore Acres in Coos Bay is canceled. The Friends of Shore Acres made the announcement Wednesday that the cancelation was due to the uncertainty of the pandemic. The event usually draws about 60,000 visitors a year. A joint statement from the Friends of Shore Acres and Oregon State Parks and Recreation said the decision was a difficult one to make.
Coronavirus cases on track to recover Locals with COVID-19 report feeling better, according to CHW ZACH SILVA The World
COOS COUNTY — Community members who contracted COVID-19 are showing signs of improvement and are on the path to recovery. There have been 29 positive COVID-19 cases throughout Coos County, in addition to two presumptive positives. There
have been 25 cases in adults in custody at Shutter Creek Correctional Institution. Those individuals have been removed from the county and the status of their recovery is unclear. The remaining cases include two positive cases from employees at Shutter Creek, in addition to a presumptive positive for an employee at the facility. There has also been a woman who contracted the disease separate of Shutter Creek and her husband was considered presumptive positive. These individuals have been
showing positive signs since first contracting the virus. “One of the employees that tested positive (and) she had a household member that did not have an opportunity to isolate away from her...,” said Brian Leon, epidemiologist with Coos Health and Wellness. “We’re considering the last day there were symptoms to be the last date of exposure but yeah, that case recovered nicely. “Another one of the other staff member case recovered nicely.” He added that the third presumptive case saw symptoms almost resolved within a few
Photo gallery: Memorial Day weekend in Bandon Photo gallery: The Face of Coronavirus
AT THEWORLDLINK.COM
D • Serving Oregon’s South Coast since 1878 • A Country Media Newspaper • Copyright 2015 Follow us online:
SOUTH COAST A2 OPINION A4 OBITUARIES A5
facebook.com/theworldnewspaper
COMICS A6 WEATHER A9 SPORTS A10
twitter.com/TheWorldLink
instagram.com/theworldlink
TRY OUR CURBSIDE PICKUP SERVICE! Call in your order, pay via phone and have the items delivered to your vehicle! CCB#449282
Available in Coos Bay, and Coquille!
Coos Bay
Coquille
(541)267-2137
(541)396-3161