eEdition
MOSTLY SUNNY 67 • 52 | THURSDAY, JULY 30, 2020 | theworldlink.com
Follow us online:
facebook.com/theworldnewspaper
twitter.com/TheWorldLink
instagram.com/theworldlink
School districts adjust to new metrics Governor’s new guidelines mean some districts may not be able to return students to schools JILLIAN WARD The World
COOS COUNTY — Schools in Coos County are adjusting to the new COVID-19 metrics announced by Gov. Kate Brown this week. These metrics mean most Oregon students will not be returning to the classroom in the
fall, barring a sharp decrease in new COVID-19 cases in the state in the coming weeks. “Right now we’re digesting the message and determining how it applies to our county and individual school districts,” said Tenneal Wetherell, superintendent at South Coast Education Service District. “We’re trying to clarify the wording and reasoning and how it applies to us.” These metrics include not being able to open if the state’s positivity rate is 5% over the span of a week — Oregon’s rate last week was 5.1%, down from 6.6% the previous week. For schools to fully reopen in a county, the county’s rate also
must be under 5% and the county must have 10 or fewer cases per 100,000 residents over a oneweek span. But Wetherell pointed out an exception. If a county meets the following four requirements, then kindergarten through third grade can return to school: if COVID-19 is not actively spreading in the school community, if the case rate in the county is less than 30 cases per 100,000 in the population for seven days, if test positivity in the county is less than 5% for seven days, and if schools comply with the Ready School Safe Learner Guidance. But for grades 4 through 12, Wetherell said they will have to
start the new school year with distance learning or the online education models schools developed when the pandemic hit in the spring. “… (There would be) limited instruction availability on-site for specific classes and courses,” Wetherell said. “At this point, the guidance is saying the majority of Oregon students will not go back on site even in a hybrid methodology.” Wetherell said in the next few days, school districts will assess what these metrics mean and the impacts they have to students and families. “Obviously it is shocking and upsetting in some ways because we were working hard to get
Finding the perfect blueberries
Amy Moss Strong, The World
Blueberry pickers at Valentine Blueberries on Sydnam Lane, 12 miles south of Bandon off U.S. Highway 101.
Valentine Blueberries nears end of the season The World The bushes at Valentine Blueberries are still loaded with berries, as are the other blueber-
ry farms are in the South Coast area. However, this is the last weekend to get the berries at Valentine’s. The U-pick farm will
be open through Sunday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., located at 86997 Sydnam Lane, 12 miles south of Bandon off U.S. Highway 101, 541-253-1104.
Look for a story on local U-pick farms where berries are available on the South Coast in Saturday’s edition of The World.
History museum reopens to visitors Saturday The World COOS BAY — The Coos History Museum will reopen to the public beginning Saturday, Aug. 2, with restrictions in place. All guests will be required to pre-register for their appointment and wear face coverings upon entry into the museum. The decision to reopen the museum was made after weeks of planning by Coos History Museum Executive Director Marcia Hart and staff to assure the safety and health of the employees, volunteers and visitors. Following Saturday’s reopening, Hart said the museum’s exhibits will be open for tour appointments Wednesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Due to the limited number of tours each day and social distancing requirements, the public is encouraged to schedule their visit online at https://cooshistory. org/visitor-appointments or by calling the museum at 541-7566320. The museum store also will reopen, with no appointment necessary. Each self-guided appointment allows one hour for visitors to view the museum’s exhibit hall, mezzanine level and a temporary
John Gunther, The World
Coos History Museum will reopen to visitors Saturday, though visitors must pre-register for a time to come see the exhibits. exhibit in the Sprague Gallery, “Expanding Perspective on the Universe: 30 years of the Hubble Space Telescope.” The Hubble Telescope exhibit is curated by Krystal Hopper and Dr. Aaron Coyner of the Physics and Engineering Department at Southwestern Oregon Community College. Student pieces are
wide-ranging from traditional paintings and posters to digital media, augmented reality, and interactive pieces. The museum reopening is made possible by funding from Oregon Humanities, the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and as part of the CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief and
Economic Security Act) of 2020. The Coos Historical Society was established in 1981 and is the second-oldest historical society in the state. It is an Oregon 501c3 not for profit organization. For more information about the society and Coos History Museum, visit cooshistory.org or email info@cooshistory.org.
students back on-site because students need to be with their teachers,” Wetherell said. “On the other side, the safety is so important and we have to have really good reasoning as to why we bring students back and when it’s safe to bring students back. Switching gears is going to be emotional, but understand that we’re looking toward ensuring staff and students are as safe as possible. “There are still a lot of questions that haven’t been answered, so we will work through the metrics and how they apply,” she concluded. Read Saturday’s follow-up for how local districts are reacting to the announcement.
Portland: Agents leave, tensions remain
PORTLAND (AP) — The Trump administration and Oregon leaders declared victory after it was announced that U.S. agents guarding a federal courthouse during violent demonstrations in Portland will pull back, but it wasn’t clear the agreement will reduce tensions that have led to more than two months of protests. Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said Wednesday that agents with U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement will begin leaving the city’s downtown area on Thursday. But Acting Secretary for the Department of Homeland Security Chad Wolf wouldn’t specify where they would go. He insisted a federal presence would remain in Portland until the Trump administration is convinced the agreement is working and Oregon State Police troopers are effectively protecting federal property. Hours after the deal was announced, protesters and federal agents faced off again Wednesday night on downtown streets near the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse, the Oregonian newspaper reported. Thousands of demonstrators turned out, drawing dozens of agents in Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection uniforms from the courthouse. Clashes that dragged into Thursday morning brought tear gas, impact munitions and more arrests. Many of the demonstrators are peaceful, but smaller numbers of hardcore activists hurl fireworks, flares, rocks and ball bearings at federal agents, use green lasers to blind them and spread graffiti on the federal courthouse. President Donald Trump earlier this month sent the agents to Portland as protests against racial injustice increasingly targeted U.S. government property, including the stately Portland courthouse. But the deployment appeared to have the opposite effect, reinvigorating demonstrators who crafted a new goal of getting rid of the federal presence. The deescalation plan calls for the U.S. Marshals Service and Federal Protective Service agents to remain inside a fence set up around the federal courthouse, along with some state police, to keep protesters out. State police will also be outside the fence to keep protesters back. Please see Portland, Page A2