Serving Oregon’s South Coast Since 1878
Sports move to spring
Main Street
NWAC switches fall seasons, B1
Several projects unfunded due to COVID-19, A3
PARTLY CLOUDY 68 • 54 FORECAST A8 | TUESDAY, JULY 14, 2020 | theworldlink.com | $2
2 COVID-19 outbreaks reported The World COOS COUNTY — Two outbreaks of COVID-19 are being reported in Coos County. As of Monday, there are now 45 confirmed COVID-19 cases and nine presumptive cases. In the last 28 days, there have been 21 new cases. In just the past week, there
have been 11 cases. “There are a few different outbreaks we’re currently dealing with,” said Brian Leon, epidemiologist with Coos Health and Wellness, during Monday afternoon’s press briefing. “The Rye Tree Service outbreak … we are now releasing the name. It is an onsite-type work … they doing clearing services. There isn’t
a home base they go back to, but transport to different job sites, which is why it isn’t a concern for public foot traffic.” The other outbreak is at a healthcare facility, though the type or name of the facility is not being released yet. Leon said there isn’t much information to share, since Coos Health and Wellness is still in the process of
collecting data. In addition, Leon said Bay Area Hospital has one asymptomatic case, which was confirmed over the weekend. “(The individual) works in a setting that is easy to identify who has had close contact,” Leon said. “We’re monitoring a few people for symptoms.” A second employee at BAH
is also positive for the virus, but was exposed to it while traveling. Leon said in the brief time she was back in Coos County, she worked from home and didn’t expose anyone at BAH to COVID-19. “The last week of cases demonstrated an increased likelihood of community spread,” Leon said.
States post names of banned cops
John Gunther, The World
A dredge scoop pulls up material from the channel in Coos Bay near Eastside last week as part of routine dredging.
Dredging may include Charleston The World COOS BAY — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is dredging Coos Bay’s federal navigation channel. “The Army Corps of Engineers is doing its annual maintenance, dredging river miles 12 to 15,” said Margaret Barber, The Port of Coos Bay’s director of external affairs. “They did this last year as well, but prior to that haven’t done dredging in that piece of the navigation channel since 2010. “It’s great they’re getting that work done.” Barber said the dredging stopped for almost 10 years due to lack of funding. The channel is authorized by the Army Corps of Engineers for 37 feet deep and 300 feet nominal width. “The Corps gets funding from the federal government and part
of our role as The Port is to make sure that work gets done to keep the depth and width of the channel for the big vessels that come in,” Barber said. In a press release from U.S. Senator Jeff Merkley’s office earlier this month, it was announced that the senator is working with the Corps to explore if it could take over dredging of a “hazardous channel in (the) Charleston Marina.” It pointed to The World’s coverage in December when the Darean Rose capsized in the Charleston Marina. The men trapped inside survived due to the quick actions of Curtis Green, who watched the 40-foot vessel roll. “In late 2019, (Green) rescued three others whose boat had capsized in the channel after getting caught on a sandbar,” read Merkley’s release. “Merkley
tackled the issue after a constituent at a public town hall in January raised the dangers of not dredging the channel, citing the sandbar incident. The immediate answer was that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) was not responsible for the area in the channel where the sandbar developed, and because of the cost, the Port of Coos Bay was not able to regularly dredge it….” After four months of Merkley working with the Port and USACE to “explore expanding federal authority to include the sandbar area … the agency was able to coordinate with the Port of Coos Bay, and is now working with Merkley to seek funding to study whether the federal navigation channel could include that area.” “I hold an open town hall in every Oregon county every year
for exactly this reason,” Merkley said in the release. “I had read about Curtis Green’s heroics in rescuing the men from the capsized boat, but it wasn’t until Dana Mills highlighted it at my town hall that I learned that the sandbar was an ongoing danger without any ready solution. With that information, my team and I were able to work with the Port and the Corps find a solution— honoring Mr. Green’s brave act, and making sure the marina is safe for its users….” Dana Mills, who raised the issue to Merkley, said in the release that it was her cousin and his crew who nearly lost their lives in December’s accident. Mills said it was to her surprise that Merkley came up with a solution. “…Even though he and I are on different sides of the aisle
Dear Reader: To cope with the dramatic loss of advertising revenue stemming from COVID-19, The World recently began publishing a print edition twice a week, rather than daily. On the other three days a week, we provide our subscribers with an electronic version of the newspaper online. That shift in how we provide the news to our subscribers has meant fewer delivery days for the carriers who contract with us to bring you The World. They’re now dropping the newspaper on
your doorstep on Tuesdays and Saturdays only, when they used to do so every weekday. While many of those carriers have continued to deliver for us in an exemplary fashion, an increasing number have decided they need to look elsewhere for more work. We can’t find enough drivers to replace them. The result has been late deliveries to our subscribers – or missed deliveries altogether. So, beginning July 18, The World will be delivered to its subscribers by the U.S. Postal
Service. We’ve worked with our local postmasters to arrange sameday delivery, so you’ll get your Tuesday edition on Tuesday, and the Saturday paper on Saturday. If you use a post office box for your mail delivery, we’ll need to have you email your name, mailing address and phone number to worldcirculation@countrymedia.net. In the process, we’ll add you to our email list so you can receive breaking news updates, a link to The World’s e-edition, obituaries and more.
Meantime, if you need help to activate your website access and e-paper account, please contact our customer service department at 541-266-6047 or email admin@countrymedia.net. And if you’re not already a subscriber to The World, consider becoming one. Supporting local journalism is still the best way to receive local news. You can contact us at the phone number or web address above. Thank you for your support. Ben Kenfield Publisher bkenfield@countrymedia.net
Please see Dredging, Page A8
The World goes to the mail
Photo gallery: ‘We’re here fighting for everyone’. Photo gallery: Pacific High School parades its graduates
AT THEWORLDLINK.COM
D • Serving Oregon’s South Coast since 1878 • A Country Media Newspaper • Copyright 2020 Follow us online:
SOUTH COAST A2 OPINION A4 OBITUARIES A5
facebook.com/theworldnewspaper
SALEM (AP) — In the aftermath of the death of George Floyd in police custody, Oregon has released the names of over 1,700 officers whose transgressions over the past 50 years were so serious that they were banned from working in law enforcement in the state. The online posting last week came after the state Legislature created a law requiring the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training to establish a statewide public database of officers whose certification has been revoked or suspended. “Those who are revoked have tarnished the badge and no longer have the trust of their community, their agency, or our agency as the certifying body,” department director Eriks Gabliks told The Associated Press. The web site includes a spreadsheet with the names of decertified officers going back to 1971. In at least one instance, a police officer who was decertified in Oregon obtained employment in law enforcement in another state, a situation that some say points to the need for a comprehensive, nationwide database. Former Coquille, Oregon, police officer Sean Sullivan was convicted of harassment in 2005 for kissing a 10-year-old girl. A year later, he became chief of police of the tiny town of Cedar Vale, Kansas. He quit that job while being investigated there. In the absence of an official nationwide database, a non-profit maintains a website intended to be a national registry of certificate or license revocations. The National Decertification Index provides access to records from agencies in 44 states and was created by the International Association of Directors of Law Enforcement Standards and Training. Five states — Hawaii, Massachusetts, California, New Jersey and Rhode Island — do not certify officers, and one, Georgia, does decertify but doesn’t contribute to the registry, said Mike Becar, executive director of the non-profit. “More needs to be done,” he said in an email. “First the NDI is voluntary so we have states like Georgia that don’t contribute and the ones that do could stop at any time. Second, many states can only decertify for crimes, some only for felony convictions, but many forms of misconduct conducted by officers are not crimes but need to be investigated.” The registry is for use by law enforcement agencies but includes links, accessible by the public, to records from 11 states, not all of which include names in their documents. Causes for decertification ranged from an officer calling in sick for his shift while drunk at
Please see Names, Page A8
COMICS B3-4 WEATHER A8 SPORTS B1
twitter.com/TheWorldLink
instagram.com/theworldlink