TRP528

Page 1

WEEKEND EDITION

FRIDAY, MAY 29, 2020

SERVING OUR COMMUNITY SINCE 1879 • WWW.TRIPLICATE.COM

Breakdown of first wave of virus By David Hayes The Triplicate

Del Norte County is experiencing its first significant wave of COVID-19 cases according to the county’s public health officer. Dr. Warren Rehwaldt reported to the county Board of Supervisors at their regular meeting Tuesday the breakdown of 17 new coronavirus cases that had been confirmed since last Friday. Rehwaldt said the nature of the cases they’re seeing are interconnected — with two confirmed

cases of personnel at Pelican Bay State Prison, a few in the agriculture community and a couple of hospital staff. “That’s to be expected. Sooner or later, every part of the community is going to get touched. A first wave is hitting us for the first time and that makes a difference and gets people’s attention,” Rehwaldt said. “It’s serious. We still have no hospitalizations, that’s good, but it will happen sooner or later.” He added about half were discovered through aggressive

contact tracing over the Memorial Day weekend, while the rest were new cases. “Of those that walked in on their own, there were probably at least eight to 12 new cases of that nature. Probably more depending on how you look at it,” Rehwaldt said. “Some of the cases were directed by clinics who turned out to be in contact with cases we’re investigating. We’re seeing community spread in real-time doing this contact tracing.” As of 9 a.m. Wednesday,

according to the county public health website, out of 943 tests, there have now been 40 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, 847 negative results, 16 results still pending and 14 recoveries. Rehwaldt said many of those tested over the holiday weekend were asymptomatic. “There were a significant number of asymptomatic people who had significant contact with other positive cases,” Rehwaldt said. “Or they were presymptomatic in a two-day window, we were catching them before they were

Car cruise enthusiasts

symptomatic because of their contacts.” In the wake of large numbers of people out enjoying the weather over the Memorial Day weekend, Rehwaldt said he didn’t think the new spike in cases was related to reopening parts of the county. “These are intimidating numbers, for us that makes perfect sense,” Rehwaldt said. “I don’t think this has anything to do with the early stage of reopening. It’s more a case of people being not Please see Virus, Page A7

Del Norte County Fair has been canceled THE TRIPLICATE

Mike Cuthbertson, For The Triplicate

Classic car enthusiasts, after cruising through Brookings and Crescent City neighborhoods, finish at Beachfront Park on May 23. Organizer Leslie Wilkinson said the ‘unsanctioned’ cruise was a replacement for Brooking’s 26th annual Azalea Festival Car Show. Hoping to attract 60 participants, Wilkinson said more than 100 showed up, contributing $1,120 in cash donations and 300 food items to be distributed between the Brookings Harbor Food Bank and the Crescent City Food Bank.

Solar panel project nears completion By David Hayes The Triplicate

A solar panel installation project three years in the works is finally nearing completion at the Crescent City Harbor. Harbor CEO Charlie Helms told the Harbor District Commissioners the Florida-based firm EcoForce Solutions is on pace to complete a 350-megawatt project by its June 30 deadline. Helms said EcoForce Solutions’ construction crews should be by Tuesday installing photovoltaic panels on top of Pacific Choice Seafoods and Albers Seafoods buildings. He added their workers were also pouring sand and concrete to install carports that will support more solar panels along Citizens Dock Road. “The EcoForce crew chief said they will be back the second week in June because that’s the scheduled completion date for the support structure for the carports,” Helms told the commissioners via a Zoom meeting. “Unless something stands in their way, at the speed the crew works, I don’t see them letting anything stand in their way. Even if they had to be out there 24-hours a day.” Board President Brian Stone noted Helms’ report seemed to indicate Renewable Energy Capital CEO Alex Lemus was living up to his end of a contract the harbor district approved in January. According to the report, that

INDEX Crosswords..............................................A4 Crossword Answers..................................B4 Classifieds................................................B1 Weather....................................................A8

David Hayes

Hemmingsen Construction crews prepare carports that will be part of the Crescent City Harbor District’s solar energy system. power-purchase agreement stipulated that Renewable Energy Capital would pay a $350,000 penalty to the Crescent City Harbor District if the project wasn’t finished by June 30. REC would have to pay that penalty as of July 1, Helms said. The harbor entered into a 25-year, power-purchase agreement with REC in 2017 where REC would install, finance, own and operate a 1-megawatt photovoltaic system at the harbor. The system would consist of panels on the Albers Seafood and Pacific Choice Seafood

buildings as well as carports along Citizens Dock Road near the port’s inner boat basin. Under the original agreement, American Diversified Energy (ADE), out of Costa Mesa, was required to finish the installation of the project Dec. 31, 2018. The Harbor District extended that deadline to Dec. 31, 2019, but ADE wasn’t able to finish the project. In December, Lemus apologized to the commissioners on behalf of ADE and paid off a lien the Harbor District had levied on solar panels that it had in storage.

According to a Nov. 20, 2018 staff report, the project should save the Crescent City Harbor District $35,000 annually on its electricity payments and entitles the harbor district to $20,000 annually in site lease fees over the duration of the 25-year lease. Stone asked Helms when the Harbor District could expect payment. Helms said he wasn’t yet sure. “It could be in June if Pacific Power doesn’t drag their feet in getting everything hooked up and checked on,” Helms said. “It could be in July if there is some delay.”

The 41st District Agricultural Association Board of Directors announced May 21 with “deepest regrets” the cancellation of the 2020 Del Norte County Fair. In a press release, fair officials said after consulting with state agencies, local sponsors, entertainment providers, volunteers and regional vendors, it became clear that the coronavirus crisis, at it currently stands, will not allow for a successful 2020 Fair, which was scheduled for Aug. 6-9. Gov. Gavin Newsom’s plan to reopen the state has four levels. Mass gatherings, such as fairs, are in the last tier and is not expected to be approved for months. A recent letter from Karen Ross, secretary of the California Department of Food Agriculture, stressed that point. Even if approved, safety regulations at the fair would limit grandstand seating to about 25 percent of normal. It would also require a small army of employees to take temperatures of visitors, to disinfect and to shepherd customers around safely. Another issue is whether the fair would attract a sufficient amount of spectators with the specter of COVID-19 transmission still possible. Kim Floyd, the fairgrounds’ chief executive officer, has been monitoring the situation closely, not only the governor’s plans but all aspects of fair operations. “The board also kept in mind the need to keep our community safe,” said Floyd. Floyd noted the dramatic loss of sponsorship money. Many regional vendors have been shutting down their operations for the year. And with no guarantee the Fair could happen, it has been impossible to book entertainment acts for 2020. “Our hearts are breaking,” said John Pritchett, fair board president. “We waited absolutely as long as we could before making the decision. We were hoping against hope some positive news would arrive, but in the end, we really had no real choice for the long-term health of the community, the fair and the fairgrounds.” “If something changes dramatically in the next few weeks, the board will, of course, re-examine the decision,” Pritchett said. The postponement is the latest in a string of cancelations across the state and the nation, including Humboldt, Coos, Douglas, Siskiyou and Curry counties. Some California fairs report they may never be able to reopen. That is not the case in Del Please see Fair, Page A7

FORECAST TIDES

FRIDAY

SATURDAY

60 51

60 51

SUNDAY

58 49

HIGH LOW HIGH LOW

Friday 6:41 AM 1:25 AM 8:28 PM 1:33 PM

Saturday Sunday 7:58 AM 9:05 AM 2:34 AM 3:28 AM 9:08 PM 9:41 PM 2:25 PM 3:11 PM

$1.50


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.