Meals on the Bus Maps. . .....PAGE 7-8 Patriot Day Page.................. PAGE 10
September 9, 2020
Serving Lincoln City Since 1927
$1.50
Lincoln County puts Phase 2 on hold
Get Up and Moving!
MAX KIRKENDALL newsguardeditor@countrymedia.net
COURTESY PHOTO
Lincoln City Parks and Recreation is adding running and walking groups to its fitness schedule. THE NEWS GUARD
Lincoln City Parks & Recreation is expanding their free outdoor fitness options beginning this week. In addition to “Outdoor Air Fitness LIVE” Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11 a.m., LCP&R will host running and walking groups on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Every Tuesday and Thursday, starting at 11 a.m., the new adult walking group “Coastal Cruisers” will discover different routes around the Lincoln City Community Center. Leashed dogs
are welcome to participate as well. Also on every Tuesday and Thursday, starting at 4 p.m., the new Lincoln City Youth Running Club starts. Youth runners of grades 5-8 are encouraged to stay fit and explore Lincoln City while running trails and streets. Runners will warm up together and begin their group run at 5:10. Be sure to dress for the weather, as the program will run rain or shine. Every Wednesday, starting at 5 p.m., the new adult running group “Lincoln City Runs” welcomes runners, walkers, strollers, and pets of all abilities.
The activity starts at the Lincoln City Community Center for warm ups. Participants may run or walk at your own pace. All group activities will be required to maintain 6 feet social distance and wear face coverings when social distancing is not possible. No registration is required for these outdoor fitness activities. LCP&R staff will conduct a pre-screening for all participants onsite. For continued updates visit https:// www.lincolncity.org/parksandrec, or call 541.994.2131.
The Lincoln County Commission voted 3-0 Monday to delay the County’s application to enter Phase 2 until September 29. Additionally, at the regularly scheduled Board meeting, the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners received reports from Public Health Director Rebecca Austen, Vice Chair of the Lincoln County Public Health Advisory Committee Co-Chair Gary Lahman on the County’s COVID-19 status, and an update from Oregon Health Authority Director Patrick Allen in response to questions about how and when the State will measure metrics that must be met to move forward to Phase 2 of the Oregon Reopening Plan Framework. Austen began the discussions by providing a local update of the COVID-19 numbers. As of Sept. 1, Lincoln County had 463 positive cases, 23 hospitalizations and 13 deaths. A couple of weeks ago, Lincoln County was at a 10 percent testing positivity rate, according to Austen. The numbers for the past two weeks have yet to be finalized.
See PHASE 2, Page A9
Otis fire destroys trailer, City Council remains against 24-hour lodging hold leaves victim displaced
Online shopping Now available!
MAX KIRKENDALL newsguardeditor@countrymedia.net
MAX KIRKENDALL newsguardeditor@countrymedia.net
At approximately 11:53 a.m. on September 1, North Lincoln Fire and Rescue (NLFR) responded to a report of a vehicle fire on Deer Drive in Otis. According to NLFR Chief Rob Dahlman, the victim reported she was sitting in her fifth wheel travel trailer when she heard a loud ‘pop’ noise and then noticed her electric fan had shut off. The trailer was powered by an extension cord that connected to a nearby shop and after suspecting an electrical shortage, the victim walked outside to inspect the electrical cord. At that point, Dahlman said she noticed there were flames coming out from underneath the trailer. “She said she tried to use her hose to knock down the flames, but that wasn’t working, so she went back in the trailer, grabbed her dog and called 911,” Dahlman said. NLFR responded shortly after the call, but at that point, the trailer had been completely engulfed in flames. It was a total loss and everything inside was also destroyed, according to NLFR. The flames also extended to some of the surrounding brush but was quickly knocked down by fire crews. The Oregon Department of Forestry
As droves of people flood Oregon coastal towns on a weekly basis, there has been a rising concern among community leaders as it pertains to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). This concern stems from a pair of outbreaks in Lincoln City at local hotels, Inn at Spanish Head and Surftides. Because of this, the Lincoln City City Council decided this week to revisit the topic of a 24-hour hold rule for lodging business. The Lincoln County commissioners along with the cities of Lincoln County had previously approved a 24-hour mandatory wait period for lodging staff to clean a COURTESY PHOTO room after it has been occupied by a visitor. Lincoln City later rescinded the rule at The burned down trailer in Otis. a June 19 meeting. The City Council held a special meeting on Sept. 2, and allowed community (ODF) responded to make sure there members to speak, or write in comments, wasn’t any threat of a wildfire and on the potential of reinstating the rule in the Red Cross responded to help the town. Local representatives such as Lori victim find a place to stay. Arce-Torres, Executive Director of the “Thankfully nobody was hurt and Chamber of Commerce, urged the council we were able to surround the flames not to reimplement the rule, stating that quickly to prevent its spreading,” there has been conflicting reports about Dahlman said. “ODF responded behow long the virus can actually live on a cause they have been very concerned surface. Arce-Torres said “it’s illogical to with potential spread given the historconclude that the 24-hour hold will have any positive barring on preventing the See FIRE, Page A9 spread of the virus.”
p online with Mckay’s market to-go powered by rosie. us online @ mckaysmarket.com Or download the rosie app
“We appreciate the hard work, on behalf of the residents of Lincoln City, and understand that the number one goal is to lessen the spread of the virus. However, we need to consider the financial impacts to the businesses who are trying hard to recover from the shutdown,” Arce-Torres said. Also speaking at the meeting were representatives from the Captain Cook Inn, who said the 24-hour hold will be financial burden for both businesses and employees of those businesses. The local business owners acknowledged the current outbreaks in Lincoln City but stated they are very limited and mostly in the food service portion of the businesses. All comments can be watched or read at http://lincolncityor.iqm2.com/Citizens/ Default.aspx City Manager Ron Chandler said the Council received 53 comments since the agenda packet was published and all comments were from the lodging industry, who were not in favor of reinstating the 24-hour rule. Councilor Judy Casper kicked off the council’s discussion by addressing the conflicting information regarding the virus on surfaces, lack of data and lack of current information from health officials. However, she also stated it’s better to be
See LODGING, Page A2
We care about YOU Enjoy & curbside curbsidedelivery deliveryservice service Enjoyshopping shopping our our app app & Vulnerable am--88am amEvery EveryDay Day Vulnerableshopping shopping hours hours 66am Download RosieApp AppToday! Today! Download The The Rosie www.mckaysmarket.com www.mckaysmarket.com
*Select locations only:Bandon, Bandon, Gold onon 7th7th St.St. *Select only: Gold Beach, Lincoln Cityand andCoos CoosBay Bay ns only: Bandon, Goldlocations Beach, Lincoln City, and Coos BayLincoln on 7thCity st. INDEX Classifieds............4–6 Obituaries................ 3
VOL. 93 NO. 37
thenewsguard.com
WEATHER Community............. 3 Police Blotter........... 9
WED.
THU.
FRI.
SAT.
SUN.
MON.
TUE.
76º/60º
66º/51º
62º/49º
62º/51º
64º/51º
64º/52º
64º/51º
Lincoln City’s largest and most trusted news source.