The Marshall Tucker Band at the Fair Page 3
Letters and Columns
Pages 4 & 5
North Coast
Citizen Serving North Tillamook County since 1996
northcoastcitizen.com
T
July 14, 2022
Volume 28, No. 14
‘Seas the Day’ at the 2022 Garibaldi Days
he City of Garibaldi – Oregon’s Authentic Fishing Village – invites the public to attend its 62nd annual “Garibaldi Days” festival. The three-day weekend celebration begins Friday, July 22 and ends Sunday, July 24, 2022. This event would not be possible without the collaborative efforts of the City of Garibaldi and the Port of Garibaldi staff. This year’s event features a vendor marketplace and food booths, a parade down Highway 101, free live county music concert featuring the Nash Brothers, along with a beer garden and food vendors, and a full firework show over the bay. New to Garibaldi Days this year is a classic car show and Touch a Truck experience have been added. The historic Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad train will be making roundtrip rides to nearby Rockaway Beach several times daily. In addition, there will be several competitions between the U.S. Coast Guard Tillamook Bay Station and the Garibaldi Fire Department throughout the weekend. On Friday, featured events include a wine tasting and silent auction kickoff at the Garibaldi Museum and vendor booths open at 10 a.m. until 7 p.m. The Severin Sister will be playing county, folk and covers you’ll love from 7 p.m. to 10 pm. The concert will be held at the Port Event Tent located on Jerry Creasy Way off Highway 101. The beer garden and food vendors will be open. Also, that evening, live music will be performed at the Ghost Hole Public House, Parkside Lounge and Kelley’s Place. Families and friends look forward to this popular three-day celebration every year, scheduling family reunions, and even weddings and bachelor parties, to coincide with this small-town celebration that focuses on family friendly activities. It’s a weekend of fun for everyone. On Saturday, the 62nd Annual Garibaldi Days Parade begins at 11 a.m. along Highway 101. The theme this year is Seas the Day! Vendors will again be open, starting at 10 a.m., curbside on Highway 101, between 3rd Street and Lumbermen’s Park. There will be an even larger shellfish touch tank experience provided by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and a new Kid’s Zone and Touch a Truck event in front of the Gari-
Night Market, down Jerry Creasy Way (Next Market Date: August 11th)
baldi City and Fire Department. Spectators can enjoy the famous waterball tug-of-war contest between local fire departments and the US Coast Guard will start at 3 p.m. on Biak Avenue. At 7 p.m., the free concert under the Port of Garibaldi’s event tent will feature the popular county music cover band, the Nash Brothers. Following the concert, visitors will be entertained with a spectacular firework show over the bay. The fun continues with live music at the Ghost Hole Public House, Parkside Lounge and Kelley’s Places. The festival continues on Sunday with vendor booths opening at 10:00 am. And a new event, a classic car show down on Biak Avenue with registration starting at 8:30 am and going until 2:00 pm. Garibaldi Days firework sponsor is the Ghost Hole Public House for the second consecutive year. Other sponsors include parade sponsor JLT Construction, Western Royal Inn, Tillamook County Library, Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife, and more. The City of Garibaldi was named by its first postmaster Daniel B. Bayley, who came to Tillamook County during the 1860s. He was an admirer of the Italian general Giuseppe Garibaldi --- who unified Italy -- and so named the town in 1879. Garibaldi was incorporated as a city in 1946. For a complete listing and schedule of events and activities, visit the City of Garibaldi’s website: www.ci.garibaldi. or.us . 2022 GARIBALDI DAYS SCHEDULE OF EVENTS THURSDAY, JULY 21 4 – 8 p.m. Port of Garibaldi
FRIDAY, JULY 22 Noon – 7 p.m. Vendor booths at 3rd Street and Lumbermen’s Park Several Times Daily Oregon Coast Scenic Railway round trip Garibaldi to Rockaway 4 – 7 p.m. Wine Tasting & Silent Auction Kickoff at the Garibaldi Museum Evening Live music at the Ghost Hole Public House, Parkside Lounge, & Kelley’s Place SATURDAY, JULY 23 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Vendor booths at 3rd Street and Lumbermen’s Park area 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Silent Auction at the Garibaldi Museum Several Times Daily Oregon Coast Scenic Railway round trip Garibaldi to Rockaway 11 a.m. 62nd Annual Garibaldi Days Parade Noon – 4 p.m. NEW! Kid Zones: Games, Touch a Truck and kids’ fun on 6th Street, in front of the Garibaldi Fire and Rescue Department, and upstairs in the Garibaldi Library! Noon – 3 p.m. Shellfish Touch Tank sponsored by Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife, at Lumberman’s Park 3 p.m. Waterball Tug-of-War between U.S. Coast Guard vs. local Fire Departments on Biak Avenue 7 - 10 p.m. FREE CONCERT! Country covers by the Nash Brothers! Beer Garden, Food Vendors, Jerry Creasy Way 10 p.m. FIREWORK SHOW Sponsored by Ghost Hole Public House Evening Live music at the Ghost Hole Public House, Parkside Lounge & Kelley’s Place SUNDAY, JULY 24 8:30a.m. - 2p.m. NEW! Classic Car Show down on Biak Avenue 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Vendor booths at 3rd Street and Lumbermen’s Park Several Times Daily Oregon Coast Scenic Railway round trip Garibaldi to Rockaway TBA Garibaldi Fire and Rescue Department Open House
It’s officially fire season in Tillamook County says Oregon Dept. of Forestry
The Oregon Department of Forestry has announced it is officially ‘Fire season’ in Tillamook County for 2022. Fire season is declared each year when conditions of fire hazard exist. This declaration affects all lands, both public and private, in Northwest Oregon and joins most other regions of Oregon already in fire season. For industrial forest operations, levels vary from Level 1 to Level 4 with accompanying restrictions on operations to protect forest resources. Restrictions are very similar to last year, with a 1 hour fire watch in Level I, a 2 hour fire watch in Level II, and a 2 hour fire watch in Level III. Level 4 is a complete shutdown, so no fire watch is required. Forest operators must have required fire equipment onsite and ensure it is ready and can pass inspection.
7
$1.50
29467 70001 8
Industrial Fire Precaution Levels (IFPL) Zones NW-1, NW-2 & NW-3 will be at a Level 1 next Monday. For Public Restrictions, levels move from low (green), to extreme (red). These are indicated on the fire information boards at major roads entering forested areas. Campfires will be allowed at campsites: designated sites and at dispersed sites in low (green).
This recognizes that attended campfires adjacent to campsites have a low incident of spread. As conditions dry out, the move to moderate (blue) restricts campfires to designated campsites and dispersed campfires will no longer be allowed. Never leave a campfire unattended and make sure it is out cold before leaving. In conjunction with the Tillamook County Fire De-
fense Board, a county wide burn ban will be in effect starting July 15th. For up-to-date recorded information about fire season requirements, call 503-8422548. To request additional information, call 503-8422545 during business hours. Public Restrictions Website: https://www.oregon.gov/ odf/fire/pages/restrictions. aspx
Beeswax historical tribute now online F
or centuries, beeswax and Chinese porcelain have washed ashore on Nehalem Spit, on the north Oregon Coast. After years of research in archives around the world in combination with archaeological evidence, scholars were able to point to the Santo Cristo de Burgos, a seventeenth-century Manila galleon owned by the kingdom of Spain, as the mysterious vessel commonly known today as the “Beeswax Wreck.” On June 16, National Geographic announced that state officials had confirmed the recovery of timbers from the Santo Cristo de Burgos near Manzanita. In summer 2018, the Oregon Historical Society’s (OHS) scholarly journal, the Oregon Historical Quarterly (OHQ), published a ground-breaking special issue on this research, a powerful combination of archaeological and archival evidence solving this centuries-old mystery. In light of the recent discovery of remains from the wreck, OHS has recently made this special issue of OHQ, “Oregon’s Manila Galleon,” available for free online. “Our understanding of the history of the Beeswax Wreck is because of the knowledge and scholarship shared by dedicated individuals from across disciplines and centuries; everything from Native oral tradition to archival research to maritime archaeology has brought new information to the public about one of Oregon’s most fascinating mysteries,” said Oregon Historical Quarterly Editor Eliza E. Canty-Jones. “With this exciting discovery of timbers from the ship itself, OHS is proud to make this scholarship accessible to all to provide a more complete narrative of this fascinating piece of Oregon history.” Stories of a very large shipwreck began circulating during the earliest days of Euro- American presence in the Pacific Northwest, as fur traders and explorers learned from Native people that a large ship had long ago wrecked on Nehalem Spit, with survivors and cargo that included beeswax. The
stories, shrouded by speculation and often contradictory Euro-American folklore, captivated treasure-hunters who searched for a century and a half on nearby Neahkahnie Mountain and the adjacent beaches. The archaeologist-led team of the Beeswax Wreck Project used geology, archaeology, and porcelain analysis, combined with documentation from Spanish archives, to pinpoint the ship’s likely identity. Beeswax stamped with Spanish shippers’ marks confirmed the wreck’s origin, and patterns on Chinese porcelain sherds allowed researchers to narrow the date range. The Spanish Manila galleon trade was the first global network, and close to 300 galleons left the Philippines for Acapulco carrying Asian goods during its 250-year span. The Project determined that the Beeswax Wreck was one of two galleons that vanished without a trace: the Santo Cristo de Burgos, which sailed in 1693, or the San Francisco Xavier, which left Manila in 1705. Mapping the location of beeswax deposits allowed Project members to assert with confidence that the ship almost certainly wrecked before the 1700 Cascadia earthquake and tsunami. Cameron La Follette and her team of archivists then undertook wide-ranging research in the archives of Spain, the Philippines, and Mexico to locate all available information about the Santo Cristo de Burgos of 1693. They discovered the history of the ship’s Captain, Don Bernardo Iñiguez del Bayo; a complete crew and passenger list; and highly important facts about the cargo. Researchers now know that the Santo Cristo de Burgos — which was built at the Solsogón shipyard on Bagato Island in the Philippines — was carrying 2.5 tons of liquid mercury. Public reports at this time do not indicate whether mercury testing has been completed on the recovered timbers. After many years of work to solve this multi-century mystery, La Follette’s research team and the Beeswax
n See TRIBUTE, Page 3