W7420

Page 1

Back for the summer

North Bend will have overnight coverage JILLIAN WARD The World

likes the South Coast area. On Saturday, in addition to LaFevre, the shift patrol members were Boat Engineer David Braley, Boatwain’s Mate 3rd Class Shannon Rising and Crewman Justin Herman. Four others also rotate in shifts for the Coquille River Patrol. This year, the crew moved from the mobile home on Coast Guard Hill above the former Coast Guard building. The mobile home had severe weather damage, causing it to be unlivable. Instead, the crew is back in the former Coast Guard building at 390 First St. SW, leasing three spaces — two upstairs for sleeping quarters and the space downstairs at the west end of the building, formerly leased for many years by Syd Wiesel, LCSW. That space, which includes a small kitchen, is being used as the common area.

NORTH BEND — As citizens braced for no police coverage from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. starting Tuesday night, the City of North Bend announced a continuation of 24-hour police coverage. In the initial press release sent out that night, no explanation was provided except to say that county law enforcement agencies and the Coquille Indian Tribe were consulted on the issue. “As a result of those consultations, and a contract for Public Safety services between the city and the Coquille Indian Tribe, the city has determined that it will be able to continue to provide coverage from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. on a daily basis to the citizens of North Bend,” the release said. The release pointed to Ballot Measure 6-177, approved by voters in the May election, which reduced the Public Safety Fee from $30 to $15 and cut the Public Safety budget by $785,000 as why there was going to be significantly less police coverage. Last month, the council approved the 2020-2021 budget which was expected to cut five officers and dissolve two officer positions from the NBPD, leaving 12 officers on staff. It was written into the ballot measure and discussed during City Council meetings that the reduction would lead to no police coverage from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. starting June 30. In a second press release sent out Wednesday, the city pointed to an uncertain financial future as why it planned to reduce police funding. “It was clear going into the new fiscal year that the current levels of staffing were not sustainable due to the results of ballot measure 6-177,” the Wednesday release said. “It was also clear that there were uncertainties in future funding created by: • The Coquille Tribe’s desire to renegotiate its contract with the City for the provision of pub

Please see Guard, Page A6

Please see Police, Page A6

Fireworks Fund committee. From their Facebook page: “Come celebrate with us! Our brave Gold Beach Firefighters will be launching the annual fireworks display from the middle jetty under the bridge starting at 10 p.m. The public is prohibited from that immediate area and asked to keep the area clear for emergency vehicles. Viewing should be good from the north and south sides of the Rogue River and in the port area. We encourage everyone to get your spots early, and adhere to safe distancing guidelines. “We are hopeful the weather holds and the fog stays out of the bay. Stay tuned for any changes to the event. “Be safe! If you have fireworks,

please have a responsible adult supervise children. Play safe, and play sober. And PLEASE leave the “Big Booms” to the professionals. With the onset on fire season and a plentiful supply of dry grass, it will be easy to start fires. If the firefighter have to stop the display to put out your fire we all lose out. We look forward to seeing everyone!” Donations are gladly accepted. There are donation boxes in Gold Beach at Rays, McKay’s, Interiors, CarQuest, Rogue Outdoors, Sunset Pizza, Port Hole Café and Double D’s, or mail a donation to P.O. Box 1762 Gold Beach, OR 97444.

Amy Moss Strong Photos, The World The U.S. Coast Guard, Coquille River Patrol, is back in Bandon on weekends for the summer. Four of the eight crew members are pictured from left, including Boat Operator and Boatswain’s Mate 2nd Class Rachel LaFevre, Boatwain’s Mate 3rd Class Shannon Rising, Crewman Justin Herman and Boat Engineer David Braley.

U.S. Coast Guard returns to Bandon for busy season AMY MOSS STRONG The World

BANDON — The U.S. Coast Guard is back for the summer with a 47-foot motor lifeboat and new quarters in an historic building. A crew of eight Coast Guard members will rotate throughout the season with four members on during weekends from Thursday through Sunday, providing 24-hour coverage of the Coquille River during the busy fishing season, both sport and commercial. The boat arrived later than its usual Memorial Day appearance this year, but will be stationed here on weekends through Labor Day or later, if boat traffic warrants it, said Boat Operator and Boatswain’s Mate 2nd Class Rachel LaFevre, acting Officer of the Day on Saturday. “If traffic increases, we’ll be down more,” LaFevre said. “We’re evaluating how much boat traffic is here on weekends

Members of the U.S. Coast Guard, Coquille River Patrol, move the 47-foot lifeboat from an outer dock in the Bandon marina. coverage. This is her last year and all I’ve seen this weekend here, as she will soon be transis a few crabbers, though I’m sure that will increase as tourism ferred to the Brookings patrol. Originally from Astoria, LaFevre picks up.” LaFevre has spent the last five has been in the Coast Guard for summers with the Coquille River 11 years. She said she is happy to be close to home and especially Patrol, providing Coast Guard

Holiday update: Fireworks in Gold Beach, Gardiner AMY MOSS STRONG The World

SOUTH COAST — Residents and visitors alike are probably wondering what’s happening this Fourth of July weekend and for the remaining of the summer along the South Coast with the current COVID-19 restrictions. Here’s an update:

Fireworks displays canceled

Almost all cities along the Oregon Coast from Astoria to Brookings have canceled their

annual fireworks displays, following the lead of most jurisdictions and entities. In addition, private displays, such as the annual much-anticipated Mill Casino-Hotel & RV Park’s July 3 fireworks show, have also been canceled. City and county law enforcement lack the resources to control crowds or to enforce any type of physical distancing or health precautions with crowds of the expected sizes. The cancellation of other displays along the coast makes it likely that any area that

is having fireworks would be met with a flood of people. The crowds also could create liabilities for cities and counties if there are COVID-19 surges following the events. Most fireworks companies have agreed to carry over the money cities have already paid and apply it to next year’s display, city administrators have reported.

Fireworks displays scheduled

Gold Beach Fireworks will be held in Gold Beach, hosted by the Gold Beach

Please see Holiday, Page A8


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
W7420 by C.M.I. - Issuu