Serving Oregon’s South Coast Since 1878
Back to racing
Back to the water
Speedway plans drag, oval track racing, B1
Work nearly done on boat that capsized last year, A2
SHOWERS LATE 62 • 54 FORECAST, A9 | THURSDAY, JUNE 11, 2020 | theworldlink.com | $2
Prison virus outbreak ‘resolved’ ZACH SILVA The World
HAUSER — The new coronavirus outbreak at Shutter Creek Correctional Institution has been resolved. The announcement was made by the Oregon Department of Corrections this week, after 27 positive cases and one presumptive case of COVID-19 at the
correctional facility. “(Department of Corrections) is using the (Oregon Health Authority) definition of ‘resolved’ which is 28 days after the date of the last onset of symptoms for people with the virus,” said Zach Erdman, operations and policy manager at the Oregon Department of Corrections in an email to The World. The first positive case of
coronavirus in Coos County was initially found at Shutter Creek when an adult in custody tested positive on April 9. While it turns out there may have been a case in the area prior to this — last month an individual tested positive after showing symptoms two months prior to the test — at the time it was the sight of the first known case. From that initial case at Shutter
Creek, positive tests continued to come in at the congregate setting, all coming from individuals who were in the same unit in addition to the employees who contracted the virus. But after the surge in cases, the correctional facility seems to be out of the woods. “So that’s great news,” said Brian Leon, epidemiologist with Coos Health and Wellness on Wednesday during an online
town hall meeting. “Again, cautious optimism but there has certainly been a lot of follow-up testing. There has even been some antibody testing just to get an idea that some individuals have demonstrated a little bit of having been exposed even though they didn’t end up becoming ill or test positive.” Please see Prison, Page A9
Annual Salmon event canceled Celebration is one of the annual highlights on Coquille Indian Tribe’s calendar AMANDA LINARES The World
existing health problems as it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia and death. At least 169 people across Oregon have died from the coronavirus and more than 4,980 in the state have tested positive for the disease.
NORTH BEND — The annual Mill-Luck Salmon Celebration has been cancelled this year due to social distancing concerns amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The Mill Casino-Hotel & RV Park in North Bend announced the cancellation via its Facebook page Tuesday morning. The event, which brings thousands of people to Coos County from all over the region, would have entered its 17th year on the South Coast later this summer. Katherine Hoppe, the tourism and content manager for The Mill Casino, said after further examination of the event and comparing its activities with the current COVID-19 safety regulations that it would be very difficult to follow the state’s best recommendations especially when it comes to social distancing. “To the community and the folks who support us we are so grateful that they come to share in our culture,” said Hoppe. “We’re grateful that they honor and celebrate with us. It’s not just about having wonderful salmon, but it’s about (people’s) desire to learn more about the Coquille Indian Tribe and other tribes in Oregon. It’s heartwarming.” The event, which each year celebrates the heritage of the Coquille Indian Tribe as well as other Pacific Northwest tribes at The Mill Casino, features a wide range of Native American exhibits, food and music. Tribal members share with visitors their traditions and culture through a number of Native American dances, drumming performances and live demonstrations of traditional artisan craftwork. The event’s traditional salmon baked meal and canoe races are among some of its most popular activities.
Please see COVID, Page A9
Please see Salmon, Page A9
Photos contributed by Megan Miller
The Myrtle Point Class of 2020 celebrates at the end of its drive-in graduation ceremony Saturday at the Coos County Fairgrounds.
Myrtle Point honors graduates Bobcats celebrate class of 2020 with drive-in ceremony, parade AMANDA LINARES The World
MYRTLE POINT — Over the weekend, Myrtle Point High School celebrated its graduating Class of 2020 with a special drive-in, ceremony held at the Coos County Fairgrounds. The ceremony, which was broadcasted live on the radio Saturday, June 6, invited seniors and their families to attend this year’s graduation from the safety of their vehicles.
Cars lined up inside one of the arenas at Coos County Fairgrounds for Myrtle Point’s drive-in ceremony. School officials took the drivein graduation route after receiving feedback earlier this spring from seniors and their families
who expressed they wanted an in-person ceremony of some sort. Following the ceremony Saturday, seniors were also honored
with a parade through downtown Myrtle Point where community members were able to congratulate the graduating seniors. Myrtle Point High School Principal Kayli Fandel said school officials wanted to do something special for the Class of 2020 and so earlier this spring decided they would post their senior portraits on electrical poles up and down Spruce Street. The photos were placed downtown as another way to honor their seniors and to give them extra recognition for their hard work and for completing their senior year. Fandel said she will be sad to see the seniors go, but that’s she proud of each student. Please see Bobcats, Page A9
Oregon nursing homes will test all residents for COVID SALEM (AP) — Gov. Kate Brown announced Tuesday the state is working to implement a plan to test all staff and residents at long-term care facilities for coronavirus. Testing will start at care centers at the highest risk of having an outbreak. Most of those facilities are in Multnomah, Washing-
ton, Clackamas, Yamhill, Marion and Polk counties, according to the governor’s office. “From the beginning of this pandemic, it has been one of my top priorities to protect the residents and staff of long-term care facilities,” Brown said in a statement. Care centers in Oregon have
been hit with outbreaks throughout the pandemic. As of Tuesday, out of the state’s 688 large long term-care facilities 16 currently have confirmed coronavirus cases, the governor’s office said. Previously it had been 27 facilities. The disease especially impacts older adults and people with
Photo gallery: Graduations on the South Coast. AT THEWORLDLINK.COM D • Serving Oregon’s South Coast since 1878 • A Country Media Newspaper • Copyright 2015 Follow us online:
SOUTH COAST A2 OPINION A4 OBITUARIES A5
facebook.com/theworldnewspaper
COMICS A6 WEATHER A9 SPORTS A10
twitter.com/TheWorldLink
instagram.com/theworldlink
June Special of the Month Water-Based Stain Blocking. White or Gray
Primer
16
Your Choice
$
99 Before Rebate
$4 mail-in rebate. See store for details.
Coos Bay
Coquille
(541)267-2137
(541)396-3161
Sale ends 06/30/2020. While supplies last.