COLORADOâ€™S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES Issue No. 22
A signature initiative of
COLORADO’S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES 2019
IN THIS ISSUE A Call to Action
Adobe Potato Cellars of the San Luis Valley
Hose Co. No. 3 Fire Museum
Iglesia de San Antonio/Tiffany Catholic Church
McIntire Ranch and Mansion
SAVE–Colona School and Grange
SAVE–The McElmo Flume
SAVE–The Sundial in Cranmer Park
CBS4 and Colorado’s Most Endangered Places
Shop to Save
About CPI & How You Can Help
Status of Listed Sites
2018 Program Sponsors
Board Members & Staff Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Map
Back Cover Insert
Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program 2019 Published Annually • Issue No. 22 This project was paid for in part by a History Colorado State Historical Fund grant. Program Sponsors:
Colorado Preservation, Inc.’s mission is to promote historic preservation throughout Colorado through advocacy, education, outreach, and preservation services.
BUILDING A FUTURE WITH HISTORIC PLACES For more information visit www.coloradopreservation.org or call 303.893.4260
A CALL TO ACTION
As Colorado Preservation, Inc. wraps up another exciting year of soliciting Endangered Places nominations from across the state, it becomes clear, once again, that the dedicated efforts of site advocates at the local level are what makes the difference in whether resources get saved or not. Nominations come from the local level, and in the end, succeed largely due to the efforts of advocates at the local level. CPI strives to help local stakeholders build partnerships and capacity and increase access to technical support and funding, but in the end, it takes local champions and skilled contractors and trades professionals to move projects from the Alert to the Saved status. In many ways, nominations and selection of the sites is just the beginning of the process. The hard work really begins after selection, and for that reason, and in keeping with the 2019 Saving Places Conference theme, we hereby issue A Call to Action for local champions to help us save Coloradoâ€™s Most Endangered Places. This year CPI was presented with a unique opportunity to work in a focused way on projects emerging from the San Luis Valley, and southern Colorado in general. These are underserved areas from which we had not received as many nominations in the recent past. Sometimes a cluster of nominations will come from a discreet region of the state, which in turn signifies a readiness to go to work at the local level as resources and partnerships come together at the right time. This is what happened in 2018 in the San Luis Valley, and CPI is excited to seize the opportunity to work on three projects that, collectively and thematically, reflect the rich Hispano history of the valley. These sites reflect Hispano history, culture, folkways and traditions as well as Anglo adaptations of them in the settlement and development of the region. The sites are more
fully described in the pages of this brochure that follow and include: The Adobe Potato Cellars of San Luis Valley, McIntire Ranch & Mansion, and R&R Market in the town of San Luis. R&R Market is the oldest continuously operated business in Colorado. What better historic resource could be found to preserve! In the coming years we are also excited to work with volunteer firefighters and supporters of Hose Company No. 3 Fire Museum in Pueblo to save a charming historic fire station that witnessed the evolution of firefighting, from horse-drawn carts to motorized trucks, while charting the early labor struggle for professional unionization. We will also turn our attention to the very far southwestern region of the state to work on the beautiful and dignified Iglesia de San Antonio Catholic Church in Tiffany, a tiny settlement along the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad line to Durango. Here too, dedicated local caretaker families have made the difference in calling our attention to a historically significant site while seeking help with preservation efforts. The Endangered Places Program strives to be more than just a list of threatened sites. It is instead a programmatic approach to working with local advocates to identify, preserve and interpret these buildings, sites, and resources that do so much to add variety and character to our cities, towns and rural places. Please join our Call to Action and work, both locally and statewide, to save these historically significant sites!
Kim Grant, Director
Endangered Places Program
ADOBE POTATO CELLARS OF SAN LUIS VALLEY This regional, multi-site listing includes adobe potato cellars of the San Luis Valley that were constructed in the late 1800s to early-to-mid 1900s. These structures are unique to Colorado and their quality workmanship has helped them to withstand the elements over decades of time. Their unique building forms and materials keep the interior of the structures naturally cool, insulated, and at the perfect humidity for storage of potatoes, which were grown extensively in the valley. The structures range from rectangular shaped dugouts with shallow gambrel roofs composed of timbers and latillas covered with earth, to fully above ground structures with adobe walls and timber framed roofs with wooden shingles. Many have beautifully constructed wooden doors. Some of the adobe walls of the potato cellars are double-walled with an air pocket in between for insulation purposes. The above ground cellars were usually constructed in areas where the high groundwater table made a partially belowground structure impossible. As many as 100 adobe potato cellars may be present in the region. Large scale potato raising began in the San Luis Valley around 1910, and by 1930 four counties in the region (Alamosa, Conejos, Rio Grande, and Saguache) accounted for 47 percent of the state’s potato production. Today the Valley is responsible for 90 percent of Colorado’s output. Although storage of potatoes in the adobe cellars largely stopped in the 1960s, the buildings left their legacy on the land throughout the region. Some are still in use and are in good condition, while others are in deteriorating condition or have collapsed. Listing the Adobe Potato Cellars of the San Luis Valley provides CPI with the opportunity to partner with local groups in the Sangre de Cristo
REGIONAL (ALAMOSA, CONEJOS, COSTILLA, RIO GRANDE, AND SAGUACHE COUNTIES) National Heritage Area and at the “THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE Salazar Rio Grande UNTOLD HISPANO STORIES del Norte Center at Adams State ATTACHED TO THE LAND, WATER University on efforts AND SURROUNDING AREA to preserve sites of REGARDING THESE STRUCTURES significance to the IS VERY IMPORTANT TO Hispanic people and culture of Colorado. MYSELF, MY FAMILY, AND MANY These activities CONSTITUENTS IN MY DISTRICT.” include identifying and documenting Donald Valdez– State Representative, the potato cellars in House District 62 the Valley, collecting oral histories of the people who lived on the land and worked in potato cultivation and farming, and working with interested private property owners on the preservation of representative examples of the building typology. Education about the historical significance of potato cellars to the Valley’s agricultural history will help raise landowner and public awareness as to the role they played in the potato economy. It is also hoped that programs to demonstrate how to properly repair and maintain historic adobe could result in better maintenance and preservation of these resources, which are part of the rich natural and cultural history of the upper Rio Grande region.
HOSE COMPANY NO. 3 FIRE MUSEUM PUEBLO COUNTY The charming two-story Hose Company No. 3 Fire Museum is owned by the City of Pueblo and operated by volunteers from the Pueblo Firefighters Historical Society. It is located in Pueblo’s historic Mesa Junction Business District that serves as a gateway between south Pueblo and the downtown area. The building has a dentilled cornice and large front door for easy entry and exit of the fire engines and includes a pyramidal metal roof and original hose tower and fire pole. The building witnessed the transition in firefighting technology from horsedrawn wagons to motorized fire engines, as well as the advent of unionization among professional firefighters. Pueblo’s fire department was the third in the United States to unionize with the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF), following Chicago and Pittsburgh. With over 5,000 locals of the IAFF in the U.S. and Canada, being Local 3 is something the firefighters are extremely proud of.
“THIS PROPERTY DISPLAYS A HIGH LEVEL OF PHYSICAL INTEGRITY, WHICH COULD BE EVEN FURTHER IMPROVED BY PROPER PRESERVATION AND RESTORATION EFFORTS.”
restoration efforts. Despite limited operating hours, over 5,000 people visit the museum per year and over 175,000 visits to their website were logged last year.
The building’s limestone, brick and stucco exterior shows significant signs Ariel Schnee of stress that could Colorado State University threaten its historic EPP Nomination Reviewer integrity. There is a strong and highly motivated group of people willing to work on the project and its listing on the Most Endangered Places Program will help to raise the profile of the museum and its fabulous collections while shedding light on Pueblo’s colorful labor history.
The Hose Company No. 3 Fire Museum was constructed in 1895 and served as a fire station from 1895 until 1978, when it was turned into a museum by a private individual. The building was left intact and contains many amazing historical artifacts, including a hand-pulled hose cart from 1882 (named after the fire chief and future governor of Colorado, J. B. Orman), a Gamewell fire alarm base station, and decades of equipment, clothing, and documents illustrating the history of firefighting in Pueblo. It is open by appointment and operated by volunteer firefighters, which makes it challenging to raise money for
IGLESIA DE SAN ANTONIO-TIFFANY CATHOLIC CHURCH The small Tiffany Catholic Church, Iglesia de San Antonio, is one of the few remaining historic churches that conveys the story of Hispano history in the area of southeastern La Plata County near the border with New Mexico. The church was constructed in 1928 using local labor and materials in the settlement of Tiffany, which was established in 1881 as a stop along the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad (D&RG) on the route to Durango. It is the only remaining building in the former town of Tiffany that conveys the important Hispano history of the townsite. It is a onestory building constructed of Adobe bricks and wire and plaster, which is deteriorating but retains a high degree of integrity, including its beautiful interior. Hispano settlement in the area primarily consisted of farming along riverine lands. The common occupation were small family farms, many with orchards, and sheepherding. Many of these early settlers were migrants from northern New Mexico and the riverine areas along the La Pedra, Los Pinos, and San Juan â€œCURRENT CHURCH MEMBERS' Rivers. Completion ANCESTORS BUILT THIS CHURCH of the church in 1928 FROM THE EARTH, FORMING THE reflected the importance ADOBE BLOCK BY HAND WITH placed on religious and other services to the PURPOSE AND REVERENCE. TODAY local community. In LOCAL FAMILIES CONTINUE TO 1942, ownership of the MAINTAIN THE CHURCH OUT church transferred to the OF LOVE FOR THEIR RELIGIOUS Diocese of Pueblo, the current owner. Regular TRADITIONS EMBODIED IN THE services were held until 1972 but an annual Mass CHURCH BUILDING.â€? continues to be held in Ruth E. Lambert, Ph.D San Juan Mountains Association June at the church to
LA PLATA COUNTY
honor Saint Anthony, with 85 people packed into the tiny church in 2018. Local families have long served as loving caretakers for the church, including the Stella Lucero family and the Munoz family. The construction style of the church is reminiscent of Territorial Adobe dwellings that were popular in the San Luis Valley and the Rosa and Tierra Amarilla areas of New Mexico. The building is a one-story Catholic Church oriented with the entrance to the west. It is rectangular in shape with recessed doors in an enclosed entry porch. The roof is a front gable with exposed rafter tails on the north and south elevations. There is a two-part centered square wooden steeple with a cross at the top. The church is built of adobe bricks with wire and stucco plaster. The exterior has been painted a pale pink with wood trim painted white. The interior of the church is beautiful, with an altar that extends across the width of the church containing all the original altar items, including the collection box, the original cross that is carried into the church at the beginning of mass, and all original brass candle holders. Although the church is suffering from deterioration, it retains all the elements of integrity; it is original with no additions, alterations, or replacement of original materials. There is broad support across the county for rehabilitation of the church. The local historical societies and the La Plata County Historic Preservation Review Commission are supportive of efforts to rehabilitate the church and members of the La Plata County Commission also support the repairs to the church. By working with the local caretaker families and these groups in the area to preserve the church, CPI honors the heritage of hard-working Hispano families and their contributions to Colorado history.
MCINTIRE RANCH AND MANSION CONEJOS COUNTY The McIntire Ranch is a historic archaeological site that includes the visible remains of the ranch headquarters established by Albert and Florence McIntire circa 1880. The McIntire’s built the mansion after settling near the Conejos River and the abundant water supply from the nearby McIntire Spring. Florence was well educated and came from a wealthy eastern family. A lawyer by profession, Albert McIntire served as a Conejos County Judge and 12th Judicial District Judge before he was elected Governor of Colorado in 1895, an event that took him away from the ranch for long periods of time and prompted a divorce in 1898. Florence was deeded the property and continued to live on the ranch, acquiring additional property and successfully managing the ranch until her death in 1912. The site includes the ruins of the large Territorial Adobe ranch house and a number of outbuilding foundations, a masonry spring enclosure, a livestock pen and other features including seven artifact concentrations. The most visible and striking component of the site are the ruins of the ranch house which are surrounded by several large cottonwood trees. A number of walls remain standing in various stages of deterioration. “PRESERVATION OF THIS SITE There is no roof and WILL HELP ENSURE THAT THE the adobe walls and RICH HISTORY OF THE SAN interiors are exposed to the elements. LUIS VALLEY, INCLUDING ITS The ranch house AGRICULTURAL LANDS AND THE exhibits an unusual UNIQUE ARCHITECTURE OF ITS method of adobe construction, utilizing DWELLINGS, WILL BE PRESERVED molded adobe bricks IN A MOST HONORABLE WAY.” comparable in size Sofia Marquez to standard kiln-fired Architect bricks and traditional Euro-American brick
construction techniques. Despite the deteriorating conditions of the walls, these unusual construction techniques are visible in the remaining standing walls, conveying the character defining features of the Territorial Adobe type in its plan, with Italianate window openings with decorative brick hood molds. The McIntire Ranch was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2008 under Criterion D relating to Social History, specifically women’s history, and Agriculture. By listing the ranch on Colorado’s Most Endangered Places list, CPI will raise awareness of the significant threat that weatherization poses to the surviving historic adobe buildings in the San Luis Valley in general, and specifically, to this highly significant National Register listed site. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) acquired the site in 1993, with the assistance of The Nature Conservancy, primarily to protect the abundant wildlife habitat. There is strong support locally and regionally for helping the BLM to preserve the ranch house ruins, from a number of local partners, including the Sangre de Cristo National Heritage Area, the Rio Grande del Norte Center at Adams State University, the Mortenson family (descendants of Albert and Florence McIntire), the Western Rivers Conservancy, and the Rio Grande Headwaters Land Trust.
R R MARKET R&R Market is the oldest continuously operated business in the State of Colorado, dating from its establishment in 1857 in the town of San Luis by Costilla County pioneer Dario Gallegos. The building was partially rebuilt after fires in 1895 and 1947 and is a contributing building to the San Luis de la Culebra National Historic District, listed under themes of Hispano history, San Luis history, early trade and commerce, and politics. The R&R Market is a classic example of a family owned “legacy business” that is integral to the identity and economic viability of the community. While there is no immediate danger of the building being demolished, its closure as a business would not only end an important part of history in the State, but it would deprive this small, isolated community of its source of healthy food. San Luis and the surrounding villages can be considered a food desert, with major outlets being 16 or even 40 miles away. R&R Market is an important heritage site and, on a practical level, a save will mean retention of a much-needed source of healthy food for the community. The building housing R&R Market was originally constructed of adobe bricks and has subsequently been modified with a combination of concrete block, plaster and stucco construction. The ground floor is the market and the upstairs includes rental units which were once part
COSTILLA COUNTY of a hotel. The original mercantile business was opened by Dario Gallegos in May, 1857, in a building 20 feet wide by 40 feet long, made of 25-inch adobe walls, with a foundation of rock with mud mortar. Today the building is a beautiful two-story log and stucco building in the Territorial Adobe style “I DON'T THINK I’'VE EVER common to many SEEN SUCH A TIMELESS AND plaza buildings that date back hundreds BEAUTIFUL PLACE WHERE THE of years. The building PAST SO INFORMS THE FUTURE retains its dignity AS SAN LUIS, WHICH IS SUCH A and beauty despite TIMELESS AND BEAUTIFUL PLACE cracks in the stucco, red roof tiles that are IN PART BECAUSE IT WAS BUILT crumbling, and water AROUND THE R&R MARKET.” damage to soffits. Lisa May
R&R Market still EPP Nomination Reviewer operates as a general store with groceries, hardware and other merchandise. It is owned and operated by Felix and Claudio Romero, who are descendants of the original owners and are now in their 70s. The Romero’s have 5-full time employees and support area farmers by selling local produce and meats. The site has received much state and national attention, including a feature article in 2017 in the New York Times, that highlighted the challenge of family business transitions in a struggling rural economy. In San Luis this means finding a buyer who can qualify for a loan, which is a challenge. Costilla County Commissioners, the Town of San Luis, and the Costilla County Economic Development Council stand ready to partner with CPI to save both the business and its use as a general store and food market. In some ways, there may be no more historic site in Colorado than the R&R Market in San Luis.
SAVED! COLONA SCHOOL AND GRANGE
The Colona School and Grange, added to the Endangered Places list in 2006, has made significant progress over the past decade due to the determined efforts of local stakeholders in the small town and surrounding region, and is now considered Saved! The beautiful school building is owned by Colona Grange #259 and was constructed in 1915 by White & Oakey. The school was a result of parents desiring their children to be able to have an education at grades 1 thru 12 without having to leave the community for education beyond 8th grade. The building served as both a school and community activity center. Declining population caused by economic woes, two World Wars and the Great Depression culminated in legislation signed by Governor Knous in 1948 that led to small school consolidations and the ultimate closure of Colona School. Although no longer an active school, the building continued to be used as the community center, as there had always been a strong synergy between parents, teachers, school board members, students and Grange members. Activities included Grange meetings, social functions, meetings by other organizations, voting locations for northern Ouray County, bible school and 4-H activities. In 1963 Colona Grange #259 purchased the building itself and then in 2009 the land where the playground and horse barn had been located was donated to the Grange.
OURAY COUNTY The rehabilitation of the School and Grange building was financed in part by grants from the History Colorado State Historical Fund, matched by local donations. Phase I consisted of building stabilization and roof replacement handled by Ridgway Valley Enterprises. Window rehabilitation and replacement was done by Older Than Dirt Construction, while the soffits and windows were painted by Kevin Murray Painting. Phase II was overseen by Stryker & Company and involved new electrical systems and fixtures, new furnaces with duct work and air conditioning, exterior stucco repairs and interior plaster work by Wall Works. A metal fire escape was built by Prospect Steel and exterior painting was also completed by Kevin Murray Painting. An archaeological survey was conducted by Alpine Archaeological Consultants, Inc. Continued restoration and rehabilitation will depend on additional grants and donations to finance completion of interior painting, stair restoration, and ADA related improvements. It is intended that the building will remain under Grange ownership and again become available for community use. Displays of items left at the schoolâ€™s closure, along with Grange history and items found during Phase I and II work, will be displayed after being photographed and individually described, as suggested by the curator of the Gunnison County Museum. The effort represents a true grassroots desire to save the building and its history and make it once again the focal point for community life in the small town of Colona, population 26.
SAVED! THE MCELMO CREEK FLUME
The McElmo Creek Flume was listed as a Coloradoâ€™s Most Endangered Place in 2011. The Flume is located adjacent to highway 160, also the Trail of the Ancients Scenic Byway, in Montezuma County, about 4 miles east of Cortez. This flume, #6 on the Highline Lateral, is the last surviving one of the 104 flumes that were part of the original Montezuma Valley Irrigation (MVI) system. This system was constructed in the 1880s and included 150 miles of ditches to deliver water diverted from the Dolores River to the Montezuma Valley. Without this water, Montezuma County would not have developed its farming and ranching economy, and the town of Cortez would not have been built. In the 1980s, the MVI system was replaced by the McPhee Reservoir irrigation system, and McElmo Creek Flume went out of operation in 1992. The Flume was seriously damaged by flash floods in 2006 and heavy winds in 2010. The McElmo Creek Flume is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Flume was saved in four phases: An initial historic structure assessment was completed in 2012 by Anthony & Associates, Conservation Associates, Inc., and the Center for Preservation Research at the University of Colorado. An engineering study was completed in 2014 by AtkinsonNoland & Associates, and repairs to the foundation were
MONTEZUMA COUNTY completed in 2016 by Triad Western. The final phase, the restoration of the wooden trough, was completed in 2018 by Ramco Developments, LLC. Each of these phases was funded in part by a grant from the History Colorado State Historical Fund. Significant donations of matching funds came from the Southwest Basin Roundtable of the Colorado Water Board, the Southwestern Water Conservation District, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the Ballantine Family Fund, Montezuma County, Wright Water Engineering and the Wright Family Fund, the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe, and the Montezuma County Historical Society. Donations were also received from private individuals. Fortuitously, the Trail of the Ancients Scenic Byway received a Federal Byways Grant in 2012 to build a planned interpretive stop at the McElmo Creek Flume. This was completed in 2016, and today provides interpretive panels and an accessible overlook for viewing the restored Flume. So the last surviving MVI flume now serves as an artifact to tell the story of the water history of Montezuma Valley.
SAVED! CROSSAN'S MARKET Built in 1903, Crossan’s Market is an excellent and intact example of a small-town mercantile building that stands as evidence of the development of Yampa and the surrounding agricultural economy. Like many such enterprises, it fell victim to declining economic circumstances, extreme climatic impacts, and changing consumer behavior and closed in the mid-1960s. The market remained a time capsule to an earlier era, with shelves stocked with merchandise still present and calendars dating from 1964 hanging on the walls, until the City of Yampa acquired it in late 2006. Crossan’s Market was then listed on Colorado’s Most Endangered Places in 2012, which began a concerted grassroots effort involving the Friends of Crossan’s M&A Market, Historic Routt County, and other local stakeholders in the town of 500 residents to rehabilitate and re-purpose the simple, but beautiful two-story wood frame building. The Friends of Crossan’s M&A Market is a dedicated group of local volunteers who spent countless hours cleaning,
ROUTT COUNTY researching, and stabilizing the building and succeeded in securing History Colorado State Historical Fund grants over a six-year period, culminating in a full Save of the building in late 2018. But efforts started modestly, with burrito and bake sales, until Historic Routt County came on board as a preservation partner and fiscal agent. After years of hard work and thanks to strong community buy-in and committed government and funding partners, the team raised the $1.2 million necessary to complete the multiyear, multiphase project. These funding partners included the History Colorado State Historical Fund, Colorado Department of Local Affairs (DOLA), Routt County’s Museum and Heritage Fund, Yampa-Egeria Historical Society, Colorado Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, Gates Family Foundation, El Pomar Foundation, Boettcher Foundation, Yampa Valley Electric Association, Yampa Valley Community Foundation, the Laura Jane Musser Fund, Union Pacific Railroad, the Steamboat Sotheby’s Community Fund, and the generous members of the community who donated time and resources to the project. The newly rehabilitated Crossan’s M&A Market will once again be a bustling community hub in Yampa. Town Hall will eventually be located on the building’s second floor, and a regional visitor center with historical exhibits and a genealogy research station is located on the Main Floor. The Grand Opening Celebration took place on September 14, 2018.
CRANMER PARK SUNDIAL TERRACE The SAVE Our Sundial effort was successful! Concerned neighbors had begun talking with City Councilwoman Mary Beth Susman about the degraded condition of the Sundial and Terrace in Cranmer Park at the time it was named as one of Colorado's Most Endangered Places of 2013. This recognition helped spur the formation of the Save Our Sundial Committee (SOS) of The Park People, a long-standing non-profit organization with a mission to enhance Denver’s parks. Meetings were held with Denver’s Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) to determine the best course of action to restore the Sundial and Terrace to its original glory while making sure the project would be sustainable for the future. The Cranmer Park terrace was built in the 1930s by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), through the organizational efforts of then Director of Parks and Improvements, George Cranmer. The large sandstone terrace was designed as a viewing platform for visitors to enjoy the park’s 150-mile panoramic view of the Front Range. In 1941, Cranmer donated a six-foot diameter equatorial sundial as a focal point for the terrace. Cranmer Park is now widely referred to as Sundial Park.
DENVER COUNTY An August 2014 concert in the park kicked off the fundraising and rallied the community to the SOS Committee’s efforts. A public relations effort combined with ongoing fundraising and two more community gatherings in the park helped keep the fundraising effort moving forward. Instrumental in this effort were matching grant challenges to the community – donors provided pledges that would be matched dollar for dollar by community members if funds were received within a certain timeframe. DPR also committed additional funds as did the Department of Arts and Venues, which provided funding for the reconstruction of the terrazzo panorama of the mountains that lines the western edge of the terrace. The construction project began in November 2017 and finished in October 2018. The effort was spearheaded by Denise Sanderson, Co-chair, Save Our Sundial Committee of The Park People, with the active involvement of people throughout the Hilltop neighborhood.
The Save Our Sundial Committee, in conjunction with DPR, investigated the possibility of a full historic preservation approach with help from the History Colorado State Historical Fund. That analysis revealed that the cost of such a project was beyond what the community and DPR felt they could provide. Instead, a less expensive, but historically-informed, reconstruction project was pursued, which utilized modern engineering solutions to correct the drainage issues that had led to the degradation.
SHOP TO SAVE! CBS4 AND COLORADO’S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES Since 2002, CBS4 Denver has been a strong supporter and critical partner to CPI’s Endangered Places Program. Through the creative vision and dynamic storytelling of producer Kevin Strong and photographer Bill Masure, Colorado’s Most Endangered Places have come to life. This team skillfully weaves together the intricate histories of listed sites through firsthand accounts of those CBS4 Film Crew who understand them best. These segments are premiered at the annual Saving Places Conference in February. Many of the listed sites have used the segments produced by CBS4 in their educational, marketing and fundraising efforts over the years. Listed endangered sites point to the films as being instrumental in helping advance their preservation goals. Each mini-documentary demonstrates to the public the importance of saving historic places; highlighting why these places matter and who will be shaping their future. CPI welcomes CBS4 meteorologist Dave Aguilera as the host of the 2019 Most Endangered Places announcement at our annual Saving Places Conference. Aguilera is a Colorado Native, born and raised in Pueblo, and has covered weather and news across the state. Colorado Preservation, Inc. is grateful to CBS4 and the team dedicated to promoting important heritage sites statewide. Dave Aguilera, CBS4
ENDANGERED PLACES PROGRAM NECKLACES Show your support of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places by purchasing jewelry representing several of our listed resources! Your purchase not only promotes awareness of these important places, but directly supports community efforts to SAVE Colorado’s Most Endangered Places. Each necklace is made of ivory polymer clay protected with a cover of glossy resin that is set into an antique brass design with chain. The chain and lobster clasp are nickel free. We currently have 20 necklace designs that include Crossan’s Market located in Yampa, Neon Signs of Colfax located in Denver Metro, Walsen Power Plant located in Walsenburg, and Gold Medal Orchard located in Cortez.
Your purchase comes with a history of your selected endangered property, how you can get involved, and a description of the Endangered Places Program.
INTERESTED IN A CUSTOM NECKLACE OF YOUR FAVORITE ENDANGERED RESOURCE?
Contact us! We are able to make necklaces of any of our listed sites using historic or current photographs.
CONTACT CPI TO PURCHASE OR ORDER ONLINE AT COLORADOPRESERVATION.ORG/SHOP
ABOUT US Colorado Preservation, Inc. is your statewide nonprofit historic preservation advocacy organization. We are dedicated to working with individuals, communities, and organizations to ensure the important places that matter to all of us remain for future generations. We were founded in 1984 with the mission to promote historic preservation through statewide advocacy, education, outreach, and preservation services. Our vision is that inspired citizens will honor and protect their heritage, build a sustainable future with historic places, and prioritize the past as a legacy for all. Since 1997, Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program has been a signature program of Colorado Preservation, Inc. (CPI). Through this program our organization works to identify threats and opportunities for historic resources across Colorado in collaboration with our local partners, concerned citizens, municipalities, businesses, and organizations. Welcome to our story and the work of our organization. We need YOU to join us in this journey.
HOW YOU CAN HELP CPI’s Endangered Places Program is looking for dedicated volunteers, professionals, students, sponsors, and organizations to join our efforts to SAVE important historic resources statewide. Join our Call to Action and become a champion today!
Dedicated individuals with a variety of professional skills are needed. Please contact Kim Grant to work directly with the program and one of our listed sites. The Endangered Places Program also holds annual Weekend Workshops to provide volunteers with exciting GIVE! hands-on experience and Your donation of $100 learning opportunities at or more will provide listed endangered sites. necessary funding and can contribute to matching State Historical NOMINATE! Fund grants and other Do you know of a funds for the program. significant endangered site Site specific donations that could benefit from are strongly encouraged the Endangered Places to promote the work of Program? Nominations may our listed properties. be submitted throughout the year by individuals, nonprofit organizations, local governments, etc. Download a nomination form online at
ATTEND THE ANNUAL SAVING PLACES CONFERENCE! ®
Learn the latest techniques, best practices, and historic preservation solutions to take back to your own community. CPI’s conference is typically held in Denver the first week in February and has grown to become the largest statewide preservation conference (second nationwide only to the National Trust Conference). Check our website for the latest Conference information.
STATUS OF LISTED SITES SAVED!
Amache Internment Site (2001), Prowers County Beaumont Home (2004), Pueblo County
Bradford Perley House (2002), Jefferson County
Chimney Rock National Monument (2008), Archuleta County
City Ditch (2003), Douglas, Arapahoe, & Denver Counties Civic Center (2007), Denver County
Colona School & Grange (2006), Ouray County (SAVE for 2019) Colorado Capitol Dome (2010), Denver County
Como Depot (2006), Park County
Cripple Creek (1998), Teller County Crossan’s Market (2012), Routt County (SAVE for 2019)
Daniels Schoolhouse (2006), Weld County Downtown Greeley (2000), Weld County Durango Power House (2001), La Plata County
Emma Store (2000), Pitkin County
Evans School (2000), Denver County Georgetown School (2006), Clear Creek County
Grandview Terrace Neighborhood (1999), Boulder County Grant Avenue Church & Community Center (2002), Denver County Greeley, Salt Lake and Pacific RR Grade-Stout Branch (2009), Larimer County
Hahn’s Peak Fire Lookout (2014), Routt County
Handy Chapel (2011), Mesa County Hanger 61 (2005), Denver County Hanging Flume (1999), Montrose County
Hugo Roundhouse (2002), Lincoln County Hutchinson Homestead & Ranch (2003), Chaffee County
Kennedy/Mancos Grain Elevator (2013), Montezuma County
Lewis Mill (1998), San Miguel County Lime Kilns (2001), Pitkin County Manitou Springs Spa (2000), El Paso County
McElmo Creek Flume (2011), Montezuma County (SAVE for 2019) Native American Arboreal Wickiup Sites (2003), Statewide Original Gold Hill Townsite (2000), Boulder County
Pillars of P.O.W. Camp 202 (2005), Weld County
Preston Farm (1998), Larimer County Ralston Cemetery (2011), Jefferson County
Red Mountain Mining District (1999), Ouray & San Miguel Counties Redstone Castle (2004), Pitkin County
Rialto Theatre (2008), Alamosa County
Rock Creek Stage Stop (2000), Routt County
San Rafael Church (2001), Conejos County
Satank Bridge (2003), Garfield County Shield Rock Art Site (2001), Rio Blanco County
Studzinski Block (2001), Pueblo County
Fort Lyon (2013), Bent County
Sundial Plaza/Cranmer Park (2013), Denver County (SAVE for 2019)
Fruita Bridge (2002), Mesa County
Sullivan Gateway (2012), Denver County
Fourth Street Commercial District, Saguache (2009), Saguache County
Toltec Hotel (1998), Las Animas County
Goodnight Barn (2002), Pueblo County
4 Bar 4 Ranch (2014), Grand County Alta Lakes (2000), San Miguel County Arkansas Valley Fairground Adobe Stables (2007), Otero County
Belvidere Theater (2016), Gilpin County Bent County High School (2004), Bent County Brown’s Sheep Camp (2010), Las Animas County
Centre Avenue (2017), Weld County Central City (1998), Gilpin County Colorado Fuel & Iron Plant-Museum (1999), Pueblo County
Commodore Mining District (2006), Mineral County
Denver & Rio Grande Antonito Depot (2007), Conejos County Denver Tramway Company Streetcar No. 04 (2015), Jefferson County Deputy Warden’s House (2011), Fremont County
Downtown Underground (2018), Statewide Doyle Settlement (2018), Pueblo County
El Corazon de Trinidad Distinctive Commercial District (2000), Las Animas County
Grand Junction Depot (2010), Mesa County
Gold Medal Orchard (2015), Montezuma County
Historic Eastside Neighborhood (2012), Pueblo County Historic I-70 Mountain Corridor Communities (2005), Clear Creek County Homesteading Resources of Escalante Canyon (2013), Delta County Hotchkiss Barn (2013), Delta County InterLaken Resort (2001), Lake County Leadville Mining District (1998), Lake County
Mid-Century Resources of Littleton Boulevard (2014), Arapahoe County
Moffat Road/Hill Road (2012), Rural Boulder, Grand, and Gilpin Counties
Neon Signs of Colfax (2014), Denver County (Moved from Alert to Progress!) Outbuildings of Lake City (2010), Hinsdale County Paris Mill (2004), Park County Reiling Gold Dredge (2015), Summit County
Salida Opera House (2011), Chaffee County
Silver Dollar Saloon (2008), Teller County
Snowstorm Gold Dredge (2001), Park County
Soldiers & Sailors Home (2005), Rio Grande County
Tabor Opera House (2016), Lake County Tarryall-Cline Ranch (2018), Park County
Temple Aaron (2017), Las Animas County Ute Ulay Mill & Town site (2015), Hinsdale County
Walsenburg Power Plant (2009), Huerfano County World’s Wonder View Tower (2017), Lincoln County
• Adobe Barns of San Luis Valley (2019), Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla & Rio Grande Counties Black Hawk (1998), Gilpin County Central Platoon School (2012), Morgan County
Colorado Fuel & Iron Plant-Industrial Plant (1999), Pueblo County Craig Depot (2008), Moffat County Dearfield Farming Colony (1999), Weld County
Elk Creek Barn & Octagon at Shaffer’s Crossing (2018), Jefferson County Elkhorn Lodge (2010), Larimer County
Foxton Post Office (2002), Jefferson County
Gianella Building (2004), Las Animas County Glen Huntington Bandshell (2016), Boulder County
Hispanic Cultural Landscapes of the Purgatoire River Valley (1998), Las Animas County
• Hose Co. No. 3 Fire Museum (2019), Pueblo County • Iglesia de San Antonio/Tiffany Catholic Church (2019), La Plata County • McIntire Ranch and Mansion (2019), Conejos County McLaughlin Building (2007), Pueblo County
Montoya Ranch (2014), Huerfano County
• R&R Market (2019), Costilla County Riverside Cemetery (2008), Denver and Adams Counties
Santa Fe Trail & Southeast Heritage Region (2007), Baca, Bent, Las Animas & Otero Counties Sixteenth Street Mall (2009), Denver County
Stranges Grocery (2001), Mesa County Union Pacific Pumphouse (2005), Cheyenne County
Lizzy Knight’s Cabin (2012), Rural Dolores County Windsor Mill (2002), Weld County
Christian Science Church (1998), Teller County
Columbian Elementary School (2004), Bent County Currigan Exhibition Hall (2000), Denver County
Given Institute (2011), Pitkin County Great Western Sugar Factory (2016), Adams County Kit Carson Hotel (2003), Otero County Willowcroft Manor & Farm (2010), Arapahoe County
Colorado Preservation, Inc. gratefully acknowledges the following for their generous support of the Endangered Places Program in 2018. 2018 Sponsors:
2018 Donors: Anonymous Adams Mystery Playhouse Alan Matlosz Anita Winter Arkansas Valley Fair Aspen Music Festival and School Aspen Skiing Company Bandimere Speedway Banshee Print Press Bent on Birding & Heritage Breckenridge Heritage Alliance Billy's Inn Bob Kisken Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra Boyce Boynton Butterfly Pavilion CBS4 Cannonball Creek Brewing Company Central City Opera Century Casino Cripple Creek Cherokee Ranch and Castle Chris May Cindy Nasky City of Aspen City of Black Hawk City of Central City Clyfford Still Museum Coleman Coaching Centerstage Leadership Coloradical Colorado Avalanche Colorado Byways Colorado Chautauqua Colorado Cider Company Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center Colorado Railroad Museum Colorado Symphony Colorado Wool Grower's Association Comedy Works Comic Book Classroom Crawford Hotel Creede Reparatory Theater Crested Butte Film Festival Crow Canyon Archaeological Center
Dads and Dudes Breweria Dan Corson Dana Crawford Daniels & Fisher Tower Dave Lively and Elin Caps Denver Art Glass Denver B-cycle Denver Brass Denver Brewers Association Denver Center for Performing Arts Denver Comic Con Denver Firefighters Museum Denver Museum of Nature and Science Denver Public Library Western History Department Denver Zoo Doug Platt Dr. Tom Noel Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Eldorado Springs Emily Young Enstrom Candies Fairmount Heritage Association Famous Bud's Bar in Sedalia Fort Collins Museum of Discovery Gateway Visitor Center (Georgetown Trust) Gene Van Dorne Georgetown Loop Railroad Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park Goodnight Barn Restoration Inc. and History Connections of Pueblo Great American Beer Festival Havey Productions Heather Jackson Photography Historic Colorado State Fair Historic Denver, Inc. Historic Georgetown Loop Railroad and the Georgetown Mountain Inn Historic Greeley Preservation Office Historic Hotel Jerome Aspen History Colorado Historic Windsor Hotel
Hotel De Paris Hotel DenverGlenwood Springs Hyatt Regency Denver Interpretive Association of Western Colorado Inverness Hotel Iron Mountain Hot Springs Jane Watkins Jason Tupper Jim Kroll John Fielder Joyful Journey Hot Springs Julie Larson Kenny Be KONG K-Sauce Hot Sauce Larimer Square Laurel Campbell Leopold Bros Distillery Lisa Hut Lodge Casino Blackhawk Loveland Museum Lowell Thomas Museum MTM Prime Manitou & Pike's Peak Cog Railway Co Marc Rassmussen Mesa Verde Museum Association Michael Gianetti Michele Moris Molly Brown House Museum Mountain Sun Pub Mrs Cleverclogs Designs Museum of Contemporary Art Denver Museum of Mining and Industry National Preservation Institute Nature's Educators New Image Brewing Nick Lawson Noosa Yoghurt North Pole: Home of Santa's Workshop Older Than Dirt Construction Orvis Hot Springs Oxford Hotel Patricia Carmody Pastures of Plenty Peace of Mind Massage
Pikes Peak Cog Railway Pizzeria Locale Boulder Postino LoHi-Denver Restaurant Probst Brewery Puzzah! Rebecca Goodwin Redline Art Redstone Castle Relic Fine Art Renaissance Denver Downtown City Center Roxborough State Park Royal Crest Dairy Royal Gorge Adventure Park RTD Salida Palace Hotel ScooTours Denver Smokin Yards Barbeque South Park City Museum South Park Rail Society Spring44 Distillery Stranahan's Whiskey Strater Hotel Steelworks Center of the West Storytelling Strands Sue Fraley Susan Crawley Susan Haskins Taspen's Organics Tattered Cover Book Store The Argo Mill The Como Hotel The DoubleTree Hilton The Fort Restaurant The Grand Z Casino The Ridge at Castle Pines Thomas Carr Tony's Market Victor Trading Company Vine Street Pub Vineyard Wine Shop Watkin's Stained Glass Studio Western Museum of Mining & Industry Wildwood Casino Windows of Time WPA Horseshoe Lodge Wynkoop Brewing Company
FOR YOUR SUPPORT
Colorado Preservation, Inc. is a 501 (c) 3, and Coloradoâ€™s only statewide nonprofit grassroots preservation organization. 1420 Ogden Street, Suite 104 Denver, Colorado 80218 (303) 893-4260
ColoradoPreservation.org email@example.com #coloradopreservation
1420 Ogden Street Âˇ Suite 104 Denver, CO 80218 P 303.893.4260 x237 E firstname.lastname@example.org
BOARD OF DIRECTORS & STAFF Colorado Preservation, Inc. Board of Directors OFFICERS Blair Miller
BOARD MEMBERS Simone Belz Frisco
Kim Kintz Grand Junction
Ashley Bushey Denver
Bill Nelson Denver
Andy Duckett-Emke Golden
T. Drew Notestine Greeley
Peter Grosshuesch Breckenridge
Ariel Steele Berthoud
James Hewat Boulder
Robin Theobald Breckenridge
Graham Johnson Denver
Jane Watkins Denver
Colorado Preservation Staff Jennifer Orrigo Charles
Events and Development Director
Preservation Services Director
Endangered Places Program Director