__MAIN_TEXT__

Page 1

COLORADO’S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES Issue No. 21

2018

A signature initiative of


COLORADO’S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES 2018

IN THIS ISSUE From the Mountains to the Plains

2

Tarryall-Cline Ranch

4

Downtown Underground

6

Doyle Settlement

8

Elk Creek Barn & Octagon at Shaffer’s Crossing

10

SAVED–Greeley, Salt Lake & Pacific Railroad

12

PROGRESS–Sullivan Gateway

14

LOST–The Great Western Sugar Factory

16

Shop to Save

19

About CPI & How You Can Help

20

Status of Listed Sites

22

2017 Program Sponsors

24

Board Members & Staff Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Map

Back Cover Insert

Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program 2018 Published Annually • Issue No. 21 This project was paid for in part by a History Colorado State Historical Fund grant.

Program Sponsors:

Colorado Preservation, Inc.’s mission is to promote historic preservation throughout Colorado through advocacy, education, outreach, and preservation services.

BUILDING A FUTURE WITH HISTORIC PLACES For more information visit www.coloradopreservation.org or call 303.893.4260


From the Mountains to the Plains: Now 117 Endangered Places Sites and Growing! For more than 20 years, CPI’s Endangered Places Program has worked with local stakeholders to preserve threatened and endangered historic sites across Colorado. As the newly appointed director beginning last May, much of my tenure has been spent reaching out to and working with existing listed sites, learning the administrative ropes for a complex, grant-funded program, and spearheading the process of nominating and selecting new sites. As I reflect on this, I can’t help thinking what a privilege it is to work with the people of Colorado as they strive to preserve the diverse buildings and places that define our communities and enrich our lives in so many ways. With the addition of the four new sites highlighted in this brochure, we now have 117 sites on the Endangered Places List. How did they get there and what happens afterward? Nominations for the Endangered Places Program (EPP) are solicited year-round through an open process via our website at www.coloradopreservation.org and through traditional paper applications made available upon request and at events around the state. In doing so we rely heavily on people at the grassroots level who may know of important buildings or sites in need of immediate attention. These folks also know better than most the rich history of the sites and what has worked or not worked in previous attempts to save them. Local economic factors also play a role in the decline or rebirth of these historic properties. CPI tries to keep all these things in mind in helping communities save the sites that matter to them. We encourage you to keep nominating sites as we often have to act quickly to save them in Colorado’s rapidly changing environment. We also strongly encourage nominations from underrepresented regions or sites that may help us to tell a more diverse story about Colorado’s rich heritage.

Nominations are then vetted by staff before being assigned to reviewers on a regional basis. The reviewers follow up with a site visit and request any information needed to judge the merits of the nomination. Recommendations are then made at the Regional Review Meetings for consideration at Big Monday, in early October, a statewide convening of reviewers with expertise in historic preservation. The group then recommends sites to forward for consideration at Little Tuesday when CPI’s Endangered Places Committee, made up of board members, considers the recommendations and reviews the progress of existing sites. The CPI Board of Directors then makes the final decision on which sites to list for the upcoming year and whether to shift existing sites to SAVED, PROGRESS, ALERT or, on rare occasions, LOST based on their changing status. The criteria for selection to the Endangered Places List centers on several factors, including significance of the resource, condition, the type and immediacy of threats, community support for preservation, the potential benefit of listing, and how best CPI can help. Selected sites are then notified and individuals are interviewed for the short profiles filmed by CBS4 for use in conjunction with today’s luncheon and announcement, and for broadcast throughout the year. These videos offer powerful testimony about the urgency for preservation of the sites and their historic significance. Then the hard work of actually stabilizing buildings, documenting sites and raising funds for preservation begins. CPI strives to be an active partner at every step of the way in helping communities and local stakeholders move the sites from Endangered to SAVED. Thank you for supporting this important work in the community…and stay tuned for updates about the program as we work, from the Mountains to the Plains, to save the places that matter to us all!

Kim Grant, Director

Endangered Places Program


TARRYALL-CLINE RANCH PARK COUNTY For 90 years the eclectic Tarryall-Cline Ranch house has stood proudly like a sentinel amidst a beautiful meadow just off Highway 285 in Park County. The main ranch house was built in 1928 by the ranch owner, Foster Cline, Sr., a prominent Denver attorney. Cline was the deputy district attorney in Denver from 1913 to 1917 and again from 19251929 and was later the regional administrator for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The ranch house is a Park County landmark, located “THESE EFFORTS ARE between the towns of Como and DESIGNED TO PRESERVE Jefferson, and PLACES WHERE NATURAL, was owned by, CULTURAL AND HISTORIC and associated RESOURCES COME with, Cline and his family for most of TOGETHER TO FORM A its history. Cline COHESIVE, LANDSCAPE AND himself never COMMUNITY EXPERIENCE.” intended to live there full-time, but Jason O’Brien–Park County rented it out to a Department of Heritage, Tourism steady succession and Community Development of ranch managers who operated hay and livestock businesses on site. The open space of the ranch grasslands, as well as the riparian and aquatic resources present, are all very important to wildlife habitats in South Park. Recently, 1,635 acres of the ranch on the west side of the highway that includes the main ranch headquarters complex, were purchased by Park County, with multiple public funding sources, including Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO), the Colorado Habitat Stamp Program and the Park County Land and Water Trust Fund. Architecturally, the main ranch house is an example of the Pueblo Revival style with elements of the Spanish Eclectic Style, which is very unusual and rare for a ranch house in

4

Colorado from the first half of the 20th century. The main ranch house, while of wood frame construction, was built to appear as if it is made of adobe and stucco, influenced by the Native American pueblos as well as Spanish Colonial buildings in New Mexico and the Southwest. The Pueblo Revival style was part of the movement toward eclectic architectural styles popular in the early decades of the 20th century. A Historic Structure Assessment was completed for the property in 2011, and the main ranch house was noted to be in extremely poor condition, both inside and outside, due to age, poor drainage, lack of occupation and maintenance since its abandonment, and general exposure to the extreme weather elements present in Park County. The initial goals for the ranch house include stabilization and protection from the elements and potential vandalism, followed by the development of partnerships to identify uses for the building that would complement the goals of the South Park National Heritage Area. These efforts are designed to preserve places where natural, cultural and historic resources come together to form a cohesive landscape and community experience. CPI and Park County have formed a solid partnership over the years that will be strengthened by other potential support groups such as the Colorado Department of Parks & Wildlife, South Park City/South Park Historical Foundation, Park County Historical Society, Park County Historic Preservation Advisory Commission, Town of Alma, Park County Department of Heritage, Tourism & Community Development, and the communities of Jefferson, Como, and Fairplay.

9 5


DOWNTOWN UNDERGROUND STATEWIDE

6

A once common, but rapidly disappearing, feature of many downtowns across the state of Colorado are the underground entrances to the lower levels of historic commercial buildings. Some of these below sidewalk-grade entrances are accessible by stairwells as well as from doors in the lower or basement level of the buildings themselves. These once ubiquitous features were often service entries or the entryways to businesses on the lower level. Most are located below the front or main façades and have relatively ornate metal hand railings and balusters, but some are located along the sides or back alleyways of the structures. Many have been creatively adapted for patio seating or for other uses that complement the businesses next to and above them.

space as they constructed streetscapes and buildings, and can be found from Trinidad to Fort Collins and from Durango to Grand Junction, with a particular concentration in southern Colorado cities like Pueblo, Salida, Florence, Cañon City, and Trinidad.

As interesting as the underground entrances and patios themselves are, the often hidden tunnels to them and to adjacent buildings also have their own colorful origins and history. Most functioned as service entries or connections to other rooms and nearby buildings, but others played a role in shady activities like prostitution and bootlegging during the prohibition era. Many of the tunnels are about the width of sidewalks and are just tall enough to walk in. They have stone, brick, or concrete walls and ceilings. Some of the tunnels have been filled in, others have been incorporated into adjacent rooms, while still others have been opened from above to allow natural light into lower level spaces. In the case of covered tunnels or vaults, some clues to their existence from above can be seen in manhole covers with glass discs embedded to let light into the spaces below. Both the underground entrances and tunnels are historically significant in the early planning and development of downtowns across Colorado. They illustrate the ingenuity of early town builders in using all available

CHOSEN TO RESTORE AND Through placement on PRESERVE THEIR HISTORIC the Endangered Places List, preservationists UNDERGROUND AREAS SET hope to highlight the A WONDERFUL EXAMPLE uniqueness of the OF HOW HISTORY NEEDS underground entrances TO BE PROTECTED” and tunnels and to heighten awareness Tracy Beach–author of The of their existence and Tunnels Under Our Feet. potential for creative use. A historic survey of representative underground downtown entrances and tunnels in Colorado will be undertaken to document their existence and serve as the basis for preservation efforts in concert with a few key interested property owners. By so doing, the “hidden history” of these unique features of our downtowns can be brought to light and preserved.

Unfortunately, the uniqueness and significance of the underground entrances and tunnels are not well understood or appreciated today, and many have been filled in, covered up, or simply sealed off. Several underground entrances and tunnels in Pueblo, for example, were silted in during the great flood in the 1920s and sealed up. Others have been lost to streetscaping projects that simply didn’t appreciate their uniqueness or viewed them as obstacles to a more unified aesthetic and the introduction of new pedestrian amenities. In many places, the store owner does not own the areas directly under the sidewalk and cannot preserve them even if they want to. “THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE

9 7


DOYLE SETTLEMENT PUEBLO COUNTY The Doyle Settlement was established by Joseph Bainbridge Lafayette Doyle in 1859 when he purchased 1200 acres of land along two miles of the Huerfano River from the Vigil and St. Vrain Land Grant. Doyle was born in 1817 in Virginia (later West Virginia) and traveled to the West and Southwest as a young man. He was one of the builders of Fort Pueblo in 1842, and worked as a trapper and trader before becoming a pioneer agriculturalist, businessman, and territorial lawmaker. He married Maria De La Cruz “Cruzita” Suaso in 1844 in New Mexico. After he passed away suddenly in 1864, he left the property to his wife, whose mother, Maria Teresita Sandoval, took over management “THIS LISTING IS A GREAT of the ranch. It remained in WAY TO BRING MANY family for ORGANIZATIONS AND GROUPS the decades, and TOGETHER TO WORK ON THE represents RESTORATION/PRESERVATION Colorado’s multicultural OF AN EARLY COLORADO pioneer heritage.

SCHOOL AND CEMETERY.”

Doyle built a large, white frame house on the land along the Huerfano River, which became known as Casa Blanca. The lumber for the home was transported along the Santa Fe Trail to the site from St. Louis, Missouri. Doyle established a farm and settlement on the land, including 600 irrigated acres. Doyle established one of the first flour mills in Colorado to supply his family and workers at the Doyle Settlement. Doyle also built an adobe schoolhouse and brought O.J. Goldrick to the site to teach his children. The schoolhouse still stands as one of the oldest remaining in Colorado, and is the focus of the Endangered Places listing. O.J. “Professor” Goldrick later became the first school teacher in Denver, and helped Tamara Estes–Territorial Daughters of Colorado-Southern Chapter

8

establish the public school system there, before becoming a colorful, eccentric reporter for the Rocky Mountain News. Goldrick Elementary School was built and named after him in 1951. Joseph Doyle was elected the first county commissioner for the newly established Huerfano County and was appointed postmaster, establishing a post office at his home Casa Blanca, which no longer stands. Doyle was elected to the State Council (upper chamber of the Territorial legislature) in 1864, representing Huerfano, Pueblo, Fremont, and El Paso Counties. Today the Doyle Settlement retains the cemetery and school building and is a beacon overlooking the Huerfano River Valley at the very southern edge of Pueblo County, about 25 miles southeast of Pueblo. The cemetery is one of the oldest burial grounds in Colorado and contains the gravestones of the Doyle family, early pioneers, and other members of the Doyle Settlement. The Doyle Settlement is recognized as a significant local historical site by people throughout Southern Colorado, especially those residing in Pueblo and Huerfano Counties. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and owned by Pueblo County. A strong partnership including Pueblo County, the Territorial Daughters of Colorado-Southern Chapter, Pueblo County Historical Society, Goodnight Barn Preservation Committee, and many neighboring farmers, ranchers, and residents, including descendants of the Doyle family, is working to preserve, protect and rehabilitate the school building and cemetery site and interpret its significance to future visitors.

9 9


ELK CREEK BARN & OCTAGON AT SHAFFER’S CROSSING Is it possible that we owe the development of Shaffer’s Crossing in Jefferson County to Butch Cassidy and his gang in Wyoming? Apparently, the presence of the gang at the Samuel and Sarah Shaffer family ranch in Wyoming prompted sons Charles and Rollo Shaffer to leave the area and eventually drive 400 head of cattle to the area of Urmston, Colorado, 35 miles southwest of Denver. This region later was named Shaffer’s Crossing, because it marked the area on the Shaffer’s property where the old stagecoach route crossed Elk Creek. At Shaffer’s Crossing, four of Samuel Shaffer’s sons (Rollo, Charlie, Tom, and Bert) worked in the family business, which originally included farming, threshing and milling, cutting railroad ties, and trading horses. The family later turned to running the local store and dance pavilion. Early homesteaders in the area danced on many a Saturday night at the Crossing’s round white “Octagon” building, which also served as a grange hall. Shaffer’s Crossing on Elk Creek has long been an important transportation artery in this part of Jefferson County, from Native American trails to stage coaches and wagons and, later, paved roads, including Colorado Highway 8, which was widened in the 1930s when it was renamed Highway 285. Today the Shaffer family has grown from a family of 13 to seven generations of descendants now numbering well over 500. In July 2016, a huge family reunion was held in the area attended by over 120 descendants. As part of that event, the family visited the “octagon” building, which actually only has six sides. The Octagon has served many purposes over the years, ranging from a school house, grange hall, community center, church, and sheep barn. The white barn was built around 1903 by Samuel Shaffer and his sons. The barn was used to store hay in the upper portion, and the lower-level was a horse barn. The barn is constructed with hand-hewn timbers, tendon joints, and some square nails. Because the Shaffer’s also had a saw

10

JEFFERSON COUNTY mill on their property near the barn, it is likely that the lumber was milled on site. The architecture of the Historic Elk Creek Octagon Building is unique, with its steeply pitched roof reminiscent of older European churches, and its 35-40 foot tall pole in the middle. The remnants of hand-painted flowers and wildlife on ceiling panels remain. At one end was a stage where many bands performed, including the legendary Isham Jones, the musician and jazz band leader of the 1920s and 30s. It is here that he composed the popular hit “It Had to Be You.” Today, nearby Staunton “I BET I DANCED A THOUSAND State Park includes 320 acres of the once MILES AROUND THAT THING, vast land holdings of JUST ROUND AND ROUND.” Joseph, Rollo, and Joe Hill–Pine mail carrier Lila Shaffer and Clara Shaffer Robinette. To the south of Highway 285, the Archdiocese of Denver purchased 250 acres of meadow land in 2015 for a large retreat center west of Elk Creek Road. The six-sided Octagon building and the old white barn still stand on this property in the forefront of the planned retreat center. The family home, store, and Episcopal-Methodist Church are long gone, making the Octagon and barn the remaining familiar landmarks on the site, highlighting the case for their preservation. The Archdiocese has expressed a willingness to entertain the possibility of reuse of the structures, and several local groups and citizens are interested in preserving the buildings. It is hoped that a use that complements the retreat center can be found for the Octagon and barn. The Shaffer family descendants are very supportive of the efforts to preserve the structures, and the Jefferson County Historical Commission also voted unanimously to support Endangered Places Program listing. Many surrounding families also support the effort. With foresight and creativity, the preservation of the Octagon and barn will ensure that Shaffer’s Crossing remains the name of this important junction in southwest Jefferson County, for years to come.

1111


SAVED! GREELEY, SALT

LAKE AND PACIFIC RAILROAD LARIMER COUNTY In April, 2007, Jim and Rose Brinks of Laporte, Colorado, noticed surveyors trespassing on their farm. When questioned, the individuals admitted they were surveying for a pipeline planned by the City of Greeley. Thus started a 10-year battle by Brinks and neighbors George Burnette and Mary Humstone to prevent Greeley from bulldozing and trenching through a historic railroad line. The Greeley, Salt Lake and Pacific Railroad line, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and lying within the Cache La Poudre River National Heritage Area, represents more than 100 years of railroad history, starting with its construction in 1881 and continuing until its abandonment in 1988. Originally constructed as part of an ambitious plan to connect northern Colorado with Salt Lake City through Poudre Canyon, the line was later converted to transport sandstone and limestone from quarries west of Fort Collins to building sites and sugar factories in Larimer County and beyond. The property is one of the few abandoned railroad lines in Colorado that retains its historic alignment and railroad bed, including ballast, ties, and rails. It also includes two historic bridges, one of which is a former railroad turntable that was manufactured in Chicago in 1892, used as a turntable in Wheatland, Wyoming until 1926, and installed on the GSLP line in 1926. The second bridge is noteworthy for its abutments of 30” by 30” sandstone blocks masterfully dressed and laid in tight fitting courses – skilled masonry reminiscent of the stonework in the pioneer Bingham Hill Cemetery to the southeast. Construction of the pipeline, as originally planned, would have resulted in demolition of the entire railroad right-ofway and contributing historic features, including the railroad alignment and railroad bed, approximately 500 feet of rails, ties and ballast, bridges, and a milepost marker, as well as significant landscape features. After spending a year or more trying to raise public support and convince the City of Greeley to locate its pipeline

12

elsewhere, property owners applied to CPI’s Most Endangered Places program, and the site was listed by CPI in 2009. The publicity generated by the listing gave advocates a boost, but Greeley refused to consider alternative routes in spite of widespread public outcry including a petition signed by more than 2,000 local residents. Since property owners were powerless to stop the pipeline using public pressure or local authority, they turned to the Army Corps of Engineers, the federal agency responsible for permitting the project. Working with History Colorado, Colorado Preservation, Inc., and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, advocates presented arguments to prove that the project would have an adverse effect on historic resources. The project eventually was sent to the Advisory Council for Historic Preservation, which rejected the Corps’ finding of “No Adverse Affect” on historic resources, and called on the Corps to enter into consultation with the State Historic Preservation Office and consulting parties to develop protocols to resolve any potential adverse affects. Because of the advocacy by owners and the preservation community, the city of Greeley redesigned its project to avoid impacts on historic resources. When USACE finally issued a permit for the pipeline in July, 2014, the permit included “Cultural Resource Special Conditions” which severely restricted access to the railroad line and required horizontal tunneling to avoid impacts to the railroad line, historic landscape features, and historic irrigation ditches and canals; monitoring by an on-site archaeologist; marking and fencing of routes to prevent unrestricted access to the railroad grade; and other conditions. Still, property owners had to carefully monitor the construction site to ensure that these conditions were being met. The pipeline was finally completed in the fall of 2017, with minimal damage to the railroad line. Although it was a rough 10 years that cost dissenting property owners dearly in time and attorney’s fees (including three condemnation suits), the protection of this historic resource was eventually achieved. The solution also required the City of Greeley to substantially increase the cost of the pipeline upfront, but in doing so they will save money over the long haul by having buried the line. Most importantly, the railroad corridor is still intact, and wildlife, including bobcats, coyotes, deer, bears, and mountain lions, has returned to the riverfront.

13


SAVED! SULLIVAN GATEWAY

MOVING TOWARD A SAVE! DENVER COUNTY The restoration of one of Denver’s iconic “City Beautiful” features, the Sullivan Memorial Gateway at the Esplanade in front of East High School that connects with Denver City Park, is nearing completion. The City and County of Denver’s Planning, Construction, Parks and Recreation Department is managing the restoration effort, carried out primarily by Building Restoration Specialties, Inc. (BRS). A Master Plan to provide guidance for the long-term care and preservation of the architectural features and landscape setting for the Sullivan Gateway was completed in 2015 by Mundus Bishop. Historic Denver, Inc. has also been instrumental in heightening awareness of the significance of the gateway and in building public support for preservation. Phase 1 preservation efforts, which consisted of both the Lion’s head fountains and short walls, is complete, including restoration of the operating fountains which were turned on late last summer. Phase II, which includes restoration and rehabilitation of the West Crescent Wall near the new Carla Madison Denver Recreation Center, is also complete. The third phase includes the East Crescent Wall and is now underway with the expectation of completion in late 2018 or early 2019. Progress on this work is sufficiently and successfully underway to provide confidence that the project represents a SAVE for the Endangered Places Program.

14

Sullivan Gateway was placed on the Endangered Places List in 2012 due to its significant deterioration and concerns that economic conditions at the time might make it difficult to find the funding to save it. The terra cotta walls had deteriorated in multiple locations due to vandalism and encroachment of nonhistoric vegetation, while some of the pedestrian elements like benches and pathways were missing or altered. According to the 2015 Master Plan, “Denver’s Sullivan Memorial Gateway is a grand entrance into City Park through the City Park Esplanade. Designed as part of the city-wide system of tree-lined streets and parks that link important civic spaces, the gateway is characterized by its distinct crescent form that is defined by the road, center fountain and terrace, monumental walls, and the Sullivan memorial sculptures.” Built in 1917, Sullivan Gateway was “THE STRUCTURE IS NOT A originally BUILDING BUT IS VITAL TO conceived by THE ARCHITECTURAL LEGACY George Kessler AND, I BELIEVE, THE CIVIC in his 1906 plan for Denver city SOUL OF CENTRAL DENVER.” parks. Kessler David Lynn Wise–Architect was strongly influenced by the City Beautiful Movement and was one of the leading national figures in park design. Architect Edward Bennett designed the Sullivan Memorial Gateway as a grand public space with a central fountain, crescent drive lined with walls, and two grand Doric columns topped with statuary. The sculptures were done by New York artist Leo Lentelli to represent figures related to Colorado agriculture and mining. The gateway was built in memory of Dennis Sullivan, a pioneering banker in Denver and Colorado. Colorado Preservation, Inc. salutes the efforts of everyone who called attention to its decline and worked to restore it to its former glory among the great places that make Denver special.

15


LOST! LESSONS LEARNED:

THE GREAT WESTERN SUGAR FACTORY ADAMS COUNTY The Great Western Sugar Factory’s Endangered Places journey began unexpectedly one Friday afternoon during a 2015 Saving Places conference session. Brighton Historic Preservation Commissioners Pat Reither and Robin Kring were surprised to see their own community’s Great Western Sugar (GWS) Company projected in front of them. Towering high over the complex were the sugar-white storage silos, an image that signifies “Home” and “Sugar-Sweet Times” to the Brighton community. Sugar beets, grown in Colorado as early as 1869, thrived in the state’s sunny, frost-free climate. As a result, Colorado had more beet-sugar processing companies (16) than any other state and GWS owned and operated 13 of them. Unfortunately, seven of the original thirteen GWS operating sites have been demolished! The remaining five are endangered due to abandonment and environmental issues. As a result, the Brighton Historic Preservation Commission nominated the Brighton GWS site, and it was placed on the 2016 Endangered Places List. Even before the EPP listing was official, the journey quickly escalated into high gear as it was revealed that a demolition/ asbestos abatement contract for the factory building was in progress. This sense of urgency, along with the unknown and volatile timeframe of the abatement process, became one of the biggest challenges to saving the site, as was the presence of ten related buildings at the complex. The exact time for the clean-up process was unknown, but was repeatedly estimated to be in “a couple of weeks.” The contractor was continually identifying new asbestos and environmental hazards in the massive structure. Cleanup had to be complete before it was safe enough to enter the building for a formal structural assessment and developer evaluation for re-use. Due to safety concerns, the preservation advocates couldn’t even see inside the building and had to rely on blue-prints and verbal descriptions for layout and dimensions. Adding to the challenge was the fact that the property was privately owned (Amalgamated Sugar Company) and the owners did not nominate the site. It was therefore important

16

to be respectful of owner’s time and privacy by limiting site visits, keeping communications non-evasive, and prioritizing and staggering requests. Potential developer solutions were also complicated by the fact that this sugar company was still operating in major portions of the complex as a sugar storage and terminal site. This same factor is directly responsible for the save of several other historic buildings on the site and is the main reason the complex still exists today. The complex was saved in 1985 by Amalgamated Sugar Company’s purchase of the property and the new owners were sincerely interested in alternate solutions, showing openness and availability to discuss possibilities. The owners also respectfully listened to proposals and provided valuable feedback, lead tours of the site, hosted documentary film production, and provided oral histories and site documentation. However, in the end, one fact would not go away—the factory building was a safety and environmental hazard. Once the advocates, including architects, structural engineers and potential investors were actually able to get inside, the deteriorating conditions proved insurmountable. The massive four-story structure of 40,556 sq. ft. would have necessitated a financial outlay that just didn’t pencil out for potential investors. In retrospect, time was not on the side of preservation forces. If the conversation had begun a year or two earlier, perhaps suggestions like a targeted Brownfield’s Assessment (EPA), government tax breaks, and historic preservation tax credits and grants may have provided the owner a path other than demolition. But, it is not possible to go back in time. So, demolition went forward as planned, asbestos was removed, and the factory and nearby Tare sampling buildings were slowly dismantled. On February 12, 2017, explosives brought down the smoke stack (also plagued with environmental hazards) and the sad reality of loss was realized by the entire community. Through the Endangered Places listing, however, seven of the remaining ten buildings and structures remain. Finally, the opportunity to thoroughly document the site before demolition through photography, oral histories, and a comprehensive historical report, including the factory layout and refinery processes, was realized.

17


SHOP TO SAVE! CBS4 AND COLORADO’S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES Since 2002, CBS4 has been a strong supporter and critical partner to CPI’s Endangered Places Program. Through the creative vision and dynamic storytelling of producer Kevin Strong, photographer Doug Whitehead, and CBS anchor Tom Mustin, Colorado’s Most Endangered Places have come to life. For the past 15 years, this team has woven together the intricate histories of listed sites through first-hand accounts of those who understand them best. These segments are premiered at the annual CBS4 Film Crew Saving Places conference, and later integrated into a half-hour documentary that airs on CBS4. Beginning in 2018, photojournalist Bill Masure joined the team with producer Kevin Strong to replace the retiring Doug Whitehead, and CPI also welcomes anchor Stan Bush, who replaced Tom Mustin. Over the years, many of the listed sites have used the segments produced by CBS4 in their own local marketing to raise awareness and funding for their projects. Listed endangered properties point to the films and the “Colorado’s Most Endangered Places” half-hour special as being instrumental in helping to advance their preservation goals. Each mini-documentary (in particular the broadcast half-hour special) demonstrates to the public the importance of saving historic places; highlighting why these places matter and who will be shaping their future. Colorado Preservation, Inc. is grateful to CBS4 and the committed team dedicated to promoting important heritage sites statewide. Stan Bush, CBS4

18

ENDANGERED PLACES PROGRAM NECKLACES Show your support of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places by purchasing jewelry representing a few of our listed resources! Your purchase not only promotes awareness of these important places, but directly supports community efforts to SAVE Colorado’s Most Endangered Places. Each necklace is made of ivory polymer clay protected with a cover of glossy resin that is set into an antique brass design with chain. The chain and lobster clasp are nickel free.  We currently have four “standard” necklace designs that include Crossan’s Market located in Yampa, Neon Signs of Colfax located in Denver Metro, Walsen Power Plant located in Walsenburg, and Gold Medal Orchard located in Cortez.

Your purchase comes with a history of your selected endangered property, how you can get involved, and a description of the Endangered Places Program.

INTERESTED IN A CUSTOM NECKLACE OF YOUR FAVORITE ENDANGERED RESOURCE?

Contact us! We are able to make necklaces of any of our listed sites using historic or current photographs.

CONTACT CPI TO PURCHASE OR ORDER ONLINE AT COLORADOPRESERVATION.ORG/SHOP


ABOUT US Colorado Preservation, Inc. is your statewide nonprofit historic preservation advocacy organization. We are dedicated to working with individuals, communities, and organizations to ensure the important places that matter to all of us remain for future generations. We were founded in 1984 with the mission to promote historic preservation through advocacy, education, outreach, and preservation services statewide. Our vision is that inspired citizens will honor and protect their heritage, build a sustainable future with historic places, and prioritize the past as a legacy for all. Since 1997, Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program has been a signature program of Colorado Preservation, Inc. (CPI). Through this program our organization works to identify threats and opportunities for historic resources across Colorado in collaboration with our local partners, concerned citizens, municipalities, businesses, and organizations. Welcome to our story and the work of our organization. We need YOU to join us in this journey.

HOW YOU CAN HELP CPI’s Endangered Places Program is looking for dedicated volunteers, professionals, students, sponsors, and organizations to join our efforts to SAVE important historic resources statewide. Take action and become a champion today!!

VOLUNTEER!

Dedicated individuals with a variety of professional skills are needed. Please contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles to work directly with the program and one of our listed sites. The Endangered Places Program also holds annual Weekend Workshops to provide GIVE!   volunteers with exciting Your donation of $100 hands-on experience and or more will provide learning opportunities at necessary funding listed endangered sites. and can contribute to matching State Historical Fund grants and other NOMINATE! funds for the program. Do you know of a Site specific donations significant endangered site are strongly encouraged that could benefit from to promote the work of the Endangered Places our listed properties.  Program? Nominations may be submitted throughout the year by individuals, nonprofit organizations, local governments, etc. Download a nomination form online at

www.coloradopreservation.org

ATTEND THE ANNUAL SAVING PLACES CONFERENCE! ®

Learn the latest techniques, best practices, and historic preservation solutions to take back to your own community. CPI’s conference is typically held in Denver the first week in February and has grown to become the largest statewide preservation conference (second nationwide only to the National Trust Conference). Check our website for the latest Conference information.

20

21


STATUS OF LISTED SITES SAVED!

Amache Internment Camp (2001), Prowers County Beaumont Home (2004), Pueblo County

Bradford Perley House (2002), Jefferson County

Chimney Rock National Monument (2008), Archuleta County

City Ditch (2003), Douglas, Arapahoe, & Denver Counties Civic Center (2007), Denver County

Colorado Capitol Dome (2010), Denver County Como Depot (2006), Park County

Cripple Creek (1998), Teller County Daniels Schoolhouse (2006), Weld County Downtown Greeley (2000), Weld County Durango Power House (2001), La Plata County

Emma Store (2000), Pitkin County

Evans School (2000), Denver County Georgetown School (2006), Clear Creek County

Grandview Terrace Neighborhood (1999), Boulder County Grant Avenue Church & Community Center (2002), Denver County Greeley, Salt Lake and Pacific RR Grade-Stout Branch (2009), Larimer County (SAVE for 2018!)

Hahn’s Peak Fire Lookout (2014), Routt County Handy Chapel (2011), Mesa County Hanger 61 (2005), Denver County

22

Hanging Flume (1999), Montrose County

Hugo Roundhouse (2002), Lincoln County

Hutchinson Homestead & Ranch (2003), Chaffee County

Kennedy/Mancos Grain Elevator (2013), Montezuma County

Lewis Mill (1998), San Miguel County Lime Kilns (2001), Pitkin County

Manitou Springs Spa (2000), El Paso County Native American Arboreal Wickiup Sites (2003), Statewide Original Gold Hill Townsite (2000), Boulder County

Pillars of P.O.W. Camp 202 (2005), Weld County

Preston Farm (1998), Larimer County Ralston Cemetery (2011), Jefferson County

Red Mountain Mining District (1999), Ouray & San Miguel Counties Redstone Castle (2004), Pitkin County

Rialto Theatre (2008), Alamosa County Rock Creek Stage Stop (2000), Routt County

San Rafael Church (2001), Conejos County

Satank Bridge (2003), Garfield County Shield Rock Art Site (2001), Rio Blanco County Studzinski Block (2001), Pueblo County

Sullivan Gateway (2012), Denver County (SAVE for 2018!)

Toltec Hotel (1998), Las Animas County

PROGRESS

Fourth Street Commercial District, Saguache (2009), Saguache County

Soldiers & Sailors Home (2005), Rio Grande County

Goodnight Barn (2002), Pueblo County

Tabor Opera House (2016), Gilpin County

4 Bar 4 Ranch (2014), Grand County

Fruita Bridge (2002), Mesa County

Arkansas Valley Fairground Adobe Stables (2007), Otero County

Grand Junction Depot (2010), Mesa County

Alta Lakes (2000), San Miguel County

Belvidere Theater (2016), Clear Creek County

Bent County High School (2004), Bent County Brown’s Sheep Camp (2010), Las Animas County

Centre Avenue (2017), Weld County Central City (1998), Gilpin County

Colona School & Grange (2006), Ouray County Colorado Fuel & Iron Plant-Museum (1999), Pueblo County

Commodore Mining District (2006), Mineral County

Crossan’s Market (2012), Routt County Dearfield Farming Colony (1999), Weld County

Denver & Rio Grande Antonito Depot (2007), Conejos County Denver Tramway Company Streetcar No. 04 (2015), Jefferson County Deputy Warden’s House (2011), Fremont County

El Corazon de Trinidad Distinctive Commercial District (2000), Las Animas County Fort Lyon (2013), Bent County

Gold Medal Orchard (2015), Montezuma County

Historic Eastside Neighborhood (2012), Pueblo County Historic I-70 Mountain Corridor Communities (2005), Clear Creek County Homesteading Resources of Escalante Canyon (2013), Delta County Hotchkiss Barn (2013), Delta County InterLaken Resort (2001), Lake County Leadville Mining District (1998), Lake County

McElmo Creek Flume (2011), Montezuma County Moffat Road/Hill Road (2012), Rural Boulder, Grand, and Gilpin Counties

Neon Signs of Colfax (2014), Denver County (Moved from Alert to Progress!) Outbuildings of Lake City (2010), Hinsdale County

Sundial Plaza/ Cranmer Park (2013), Denver County

Temple Aaron (2017), Las Animas County Ute Ulay Mill & Town site (2015), Hinsdale County Walsenburg Power Plant (2009), Huerfano County

World’s Wonder View Tower (2017), Lincoln County

ALERT Black Hawk (1998), Gilpin County Central Platoon School (2012), Morgan County

Colorado Fuel & Iron Plant-Industrial Plant (1999), Pueblo County Craig Depot (2008), Moffat County

Downtown Underground (2018), Statewide Doyle Settlement (2018), Pueblo County

Elk Creek Barn & Octagon at (2018) Shaffer’s Crossing, Jefferson County Elkhorn Lodge (2010), Larimer County

Paris Mill (2004), Park County

Foxton Post Office (2002), Jefferson County

Salida Opera House (2011), Chaffee County

Glen Huntington Bandshell (2016), Boulder County

Reiling Gold Dredge (2015), Summit County

Silver Dollar Saloon (2008), Teller County Snowstorm Gold Dredge (2001), Park County

Gianella Building (2004), Las Animas County

Hispanic Cultural Landscapes of the Purgatoire River Valley (1998), Las Animas County

McLaughlin Building (2007), Pueblo County Mid-Century Resources of Littleton Boulevard (2014), Arapahoe County Montoya Ranch (2014), Huerfano County

Riverside Cemetery (2008), Denver and Adams Counties

Santa Fe Trail & Southeast Heritage Region (2007), Baca, Bent, Las Animas & Otero Counties Sixteenth Street Mall (2009), Denver County Stranges Grocery (2001), Mesa County Tarryall-Cline Ranch (2018), Park County Union Pacific Pumphouse (2005), Cheyenne County

Lizzy Knight’s Cabin (2012), Rural Dolores County Windsor Mill (2002), Weld County

LOST Christian Science Church (1998), Teller County Columbian Elementary School (2004), Bent County Currigan Exhibition Hall (2000), Denver County

Given Institute (2011), Pitkin County Great Western Sugar Factory (2016), Adams County (LOST 2018) Kit Carson Hotel (2003), Otero County Willowcroft Manor & Farm (2010), Arapahoe County

23


Colorado Preservation, Inc. gratefully acknowledges the following for their generous support of the Endangered Places Program in 2017. 2017 Sponsors:

2017 Donors: Alan Matlosz Anita Winter Ann Tristani Arkansas Valley Fair Board Ashton S. Phillips Aspen Historical Society Aspen Music Festival and School Aspen Skiing Company Bandimere Speedway Banshee Press Bella Calla Billy’s Inn Denver Boneshaker Buena Vista Bonnie Brown, Colorado Wool Growers Association Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra Breckenridge Grand Vacations Brewers Association Bronco Billy’s Cripple Creek Bud’s Bar Butterfly Pavilion Cannonball Creek Brewing Co Canyons and Plains of Southeast Colorado Cathleen Norman Donning publishing CBS4 Central City Century Casino Cripple Creek Cherokee Ranch and Castle Foundation Cindy Nasky City of Breckenridge - Larissa O’Neil City of Greeley HPO City of Loveland Clyfford Still Museum Coleman Coaching Coloradical Colorado Avalanche Colorado Barkery Colorado Cider Company Colorado Fine Arts Center Colorado Preservation Inc. EPP Colorado Railroad Museum

24

Colorado State Fair Confluence Kayaks Crawford Hotel Kelsie Hile Creede Brewing Company Crow Canyon Archaeological Center D & F Clocktower Dad and Brothers Brewing Dan Corson Dana Crawford Dave Lively Deborah McAllister Denver Art Museum Denver B Cycle Denver Firefighter’s Museum Denver Public Library - Jim Kroll Denver RTD Denver Zoo Doug Platt eGo CarShare - Will Sheperd Eldorado Springs Resort Elway’s Denver Enstrom Toffee - Jeri Langolf Experience Fairmount Cemetery Fancy Tiger Crafts Fate Brewing Company Georgetown Loop Railroad Georgetown Trust for Conservation and Preservation Havey Productions Heather Jackson Photography and Video High Country News Hirakata Farms Historicorps Historic Denver, Inc. History Colorado Center Hotel De Paris Museum Hyatt Regency Denver Interpretive Association of Western Colorado Iron Mountain Hot Springs Jamie Oliver Media Productions

Jane Daniels Jane Watkins / Watkins Stained Glass Jennifer Riefenberg Jo Downey John Fieldler Joyful Journey Hot Springs Judy Nakari Julie Johnson Karl Kumli Kevin Murray Kim Kintz KONG Larimer Square Associates Laurie Adams Leopold Bros. Distillery Taryn C. Kapronica Life Cycle Balloon Adventures Lisa Hut Lodge Casino Loveland Museum/ Gallery Merfs Condiments Mesa Verde Museum Association Michele Morris Molly Brown House Museum Montanya Distillers, Crested Butte Film Festival MTN Prime Museum of Contemporary Art Denver National Preservation Institute Nature’s Educators Noosa Yoguhurt Older Than Dirt Construction Orvis Hot Springs Pastures of Plenty Peace of Mind Massage Pikes Peak Cog Railway Pizzeria Locale Boulder Postino LoHi Precious Cat Prost Brewing Puzzah! Queen City Architectural Salvage Queen City General Store

Rebecca Goodwin Redline Art Redstone Castle Relic Fine Art Rene O’Connell Rick Cronenberg Robin Theobald Royal Crest Dairy Royal Gorge Bridge Salida Palace Hotel Santa’s Workshop Sara Lang School of Mines Geology Museum See Six States LLC Simone Belz - Town of Frisco SK Horses, LTD Smokin’ Yards BBQ South Park City Museum Spring 44 Steelworks Center of the West Stephen M. DeOrio Stranahan Whiskey Supporters of Colorado Preservation and Bent on Birding Susan Haskins Talia J Kauk Taspen’s Organics Tattered Cover Paula Bisgard The Baldpate Inn The Colorado Chautauqua Association The Delaware Hotel The Denver Botanic Gardens The Denver Center for Performing Arts The Fort Restaurant The Hearthstone The Hotel Jerome The Inverness The Mishawaka The Oxford Hotel The Rialto Theatre Center The Ridge at Castle Pines The Woodhouse Day Spa Littleton Thomas Carr/ Colorado Cultural Research Associates Tony’s Market Tracy Haines

THANK YOU

FOR YOUR SUPPORT

Colorado Preservation, Inc. is a 501 (c) 3, and Colorado’s only statewide nonprofit grassroots preservation organization. 1420 Ogden Street, Suite 104 Denver, Colorado 80218 (303) 893-4260

ColoradoPreservation.org jorrigocharles@coloradopreservation.org #coloradopreservation

@COPreservation

facebook.com/coloradopreservation

#preserveco 25


1420 Ogden Street ¡ Suite 104 Denver, CO 80218 P 303.893.4260 x237 E jorrigocharles@coloradopreservation.org

BOARD OF DIRECTORS & STAFF Colorado Preservation, Inc. Board of Directors OFFICERS: Julie Johnson

Chair, Boulder

Drew Notestine

Vice-Chair Eastern Slope, Greeley

Heather Bailey

Vice-Chair Western Slope, Durango

Alan Matlosz

Treasurer, Denver

Jim Kroll

Secretary, Denver

BOARD MEMBERS: Ashley Bushey, Denver

Robert Musgraves, Denver

Elizabeth Hallas, Golden

Bill Nelson, Denver

Graham Johnson, Denver

Bentley Rayburn, Colorado Springs

Kim Kintz, Grand Junction

Dominick Sekich, Denver

Karl Kumli, Boulder

Robin Theobald, Breckenridge

Blair Miller, Denver

Jane Watkins, Denver

Colorado Preservation Staff Jennifer Orrigo Charles

Executive Director

Cindy Nasky

Preservation Services Director

Megan Concannon

Events and Development Director

Kim Grant

Endangered Places Program Director

Profile for Colorado Preservation, Inc.

2018 Endangered Places Program Brochure  

2018 Endangered Places Program Brochure

2018 Endangered Places Program Brochure  

2018 Endangered Places Program Brochure

Advertisement