COLORADOâ€™S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES Issue No. 20
A signature initiative of
COLORADO’S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES
IN THIS ISSUE Welcome 2 World’s View Wonder Tower
SAVES 9 SAVE - Hugo Roundhouse
SAVE - Native American Wickiups
20 Years of Saving Endangered Places
Shop to Save
About CPI & How You Can Help
Status of Listed Sites
2016 Program Sponsors Board Members & Staff Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Map
BUILDING A FUTURE
24 Back Cover Insert
Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program 2017 Published Annually • Issue No. 20 This project was paid for in part by a History Colorado State Historical Fund grant.
Colorado Preservation, Inc.’s mission is to promote historic preservation throughout Colorado through advocacy, education, outreach and preservation services.
For more information visit www.coloradopreservation.org or call 303.893.4260
The preservation of place is intentional. It does not happen by chance.
All of us at Colorado Preservation, Inc. (CPI) understand the challenges and tremendous efforts occurring in counties and communities statewide. Choices are being made daily to save our community identity by state and local leaders, city planners, local associations, nonprofits, and passionate individuals like yourself. You are not alone in your efforts. Colorado Preservation, Inc., through the help of our many partners and donors, is your partner and statewide advocate working at the forefront of national, state, and local preservation issues to ensure our state’s heritage remains integral to our communities. This year, we celebrate 20 years of bringing local and national attention to preservation issues and important historic resources in danger of being lost—this is the power of our signature program, Colorado’s Most Endangered Places. This important anniversary gives us the opportunity to discuss how far we have come and where we are going while presenting new sites and listed sites in need of additional attention. Of the many nominated places, only a select few demonstrate the right combination of significance, threat, diversity, and community support.
The historic buildings, structures, and sites standing today survive as a result of many players working together toward a shared vision; to celebrate, reuse, and reinterpret these critical places for current and future generations.
Three historic resources have been selected for inclusion this year. They include one of Colorado’s early 20th century roadside attractions, a main street representative of once thriving communities on the northeastern plains, and the state’s oldest continuously operating synagogue. The World’s Wonder View Tower, New Raymer’s Centre Avenue, and Temple Aaron represent three diverse sites that can bring positive change to the state.
Our listed sites are places that evoke responses from the community. They speak to all of us through what they have been, what they represent, and what they can be in the future. These buildings can be the catalyst for change and we encourage you to join us on this journey, learn about these important community landmarks, get involved with our organization, and bring your individual talents to the cause. The Endangered Places Program would not be possible without the generous support of the History Colorado State Historical Fund. Join us in our efforts to promote, advance, and guide preservation advocacy statewide.
History is not static but a conscious decision we make each day. History is not just for the historian deciphering the past, but for all of us. It is our shared story; it contributes to a feeling of belonging and reminds us where we came from. I urge you to become a supporter and volunteer of Colorado Preservation, Inc. and help us continue to Build a Future with Historic Places.
Jennifer Orrigo Charles Executive Director
WORLD’S WONDER VIEW TOWER America’s highways were once speckled with what has come to be known as roadside architecture—buildings and resources that catered specifically to travelers exploring the country with the newfound freedom of the automobile. While this architecture often included diners, motels, and filling stations, unique roadside attractions became popular places for travelers to stop. The World’s Wonder View Tower stands as a lasting vestige of this unusual and distinct architecture that has intrigued tourists traveling across Colorado’s Eastern Plains along Interstate 70 and Highway 24 near Genoa for nearly a century. Charles Gregory and his partner Myrtle LeBow began building a roadhouse, café, and filling station at the site in 1926; soon afterward, they started constructing an “observation tower and elaborately equipped recreation camp.” The tower would become the highest point between New York City and the Rocky Mountains (a fact confirmed by the U.S. Geological Survey). The claim that one could see six states from the top of the tower (Colorado, Kansas, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, and New Mexico) was published by Ripley’s Believe It or Not! in 1933. The tower quickly became the primary attraction in Lincoln County featured in guidebooks from the 1930s until 2013. In addition to serving the interests of travelers, the World’s Wonder View Tower became a hub for the local community with its gas station, market, and restaurant where locals could shop, socialize, and even hold community dances. During World War II, the property was open 24 hours a day to serve as a bus stop between Kansas City and Denver.
LINCOLN COUNTY The World’s Wonder View Tower continued to serve as a gathering place through a succession of owners from the 1930s to the 1960s. Jerry Chubbuck purchased the property in 1967, and began to transform the site. He connected the various buildings and filled them with memorabilia that he had collected through the years. His new attractions included such “wonders” as a two-headed calf, arrowheads, and the skeleton of a woolly mammoth. The World’s Wonder View Tower continued to draw visitors with its curiosities, quirks, amenities, and the iconic tower for the next 45 years.
“At one time the Tower was the main attraction not just in Genoa, but all of Lincoln County. It was a must-stop for travelers headed across Colorado….there will never be another World Wonder View Tower, a monument to the pioneering spirit of the state’s entrepreneurs and Colorado’s rich tourism history.” ~ Patricia Calhoun
The World’s Wonder View Tower closed in 2013 after the death of Chubbuck, and has been vacant since. In July 2016, a group of Colorado residents purchased the property with plans to rehabilitate and reopen the site. They hope that doing so will help revive the local economy and create a tourism triangle in Lincoln County that connects nearby attractions.
CENTRE AVENUE Agricultural communities have formed the backbone of Coloradoâ€™s Eastern Plains since the late-1880s. The towns and cities have endured droughts, harsh winters, relentless winds, population changes, and economic depressions. But the one thing that has remained constant is the strength of the communities and the perseverance of the people. The town of New Raymer, anchored by Centre Avenue, is no different. The Town of Raymer was established in 1888 along a new line of the Colorado and Wyoming Railroad Company running from Sterling to Cheyenne. Homesteaders from eastern Nebraska settled the town in the 1880s, drawn to the area by claims of fertile, lush land ripe for cultivation. Unfortunately, this was a far cry from the actual conditions of the arid grasslands. The feasibility of an agricultural economy improved with the passage of the Enlarged Homestead Act in 1909, which provided larger homestead tracts for farming. This again drew people to the area and in 1910 the townsite was platted and recorded as the Town of Raymer. Before the days of zip codes, the post office changed Raymer to New Raymer to avoid confusion with Ramah, Colorado. Development followed immediately thereafter, when W.M. Truxaw
â€œIt is so important to many of us still living in this small community that the history of the area and the town be preserved for children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren.â€? ~ Carol Lambert
WELD COUNTY purchased the first lot along Centre Avenue on the same day it was platted. He constructed the Truxaw and Krueger Grocery building, which would later become the post office. Stores, shops, hotels, and businesses soon followed, creating a thriving downtown core along Centre Avenue. Newspaper advertisements show that a variety of businesses served the town in the 1910s and 1920s, including hardware stores, liveries, stables and bakeries, hotels, drug stores, a tractor dealership, gas stations, and a bank. The town population declined in the 1930s due to drought and economic depression. This decline continued into the next decades, and by the 1960s most of the businesses along Centre Avenue had closed. Despite these changes, New Raymer remained a gathering place for the surrounding population. Descendants of the early pioneers that settled New Raymer still reside in the nearby rural areas. They continue to farm and ranch in the area, and come to town to meet for church, school, and social activities. Many of the families have known one another for generations, and the community hopes to keep these stories and relationships alive by revitalizing the downtown core. The majority of the buildings along Centre Avenue have changed little since first constructed in the 1910s and 1920s. The town is emblematic of the many small agricultural market centers that once thrived throughout the plains region of northeastern Colorado. Colorado Preservation, Inc. believes restoration of the Post Office building can be a catalyst for downtown revitalization and serve as an example for similar communities.
LAS ANIMAS COUNTY
Located in the El Corazon de Trinidad National Historic District, Temple Aaron is a prominent visual landmark in Trinidad. It is considered the oldest synagogue building in continuous operation (in its original location) west of the Mississippi. Designed by Isaac Hamilton Rapp and built in 1889, Temple Aaron is not only architecturally significant but also important for its role in the cultural history of Trinidad. Jewish merchants, who served as traders along the Santa Fe Trail, began locating in Trinidad in 1867, becoming prominent members of the community. By 1874, Trinidad had only two non-Jewish mercantile firms and within ten years Congregation Aaron was organized as a Reform congregation on July 23, 1883. The congregation immediately began planning for the construction of a synagogue, selecting a lot high on a hill in a well-established residential area. Prominent regional architect Isaac Hamilton Rapp incorporated eclectic Turkish and Moorish elements into its design. The cornerstone was laid on June 17, 1889, and at the time of its dedication, the congregation included approximately 50 male members. Leopold Freudenthal served as the first full-time Rabbi until 1916. Trinidad prospered well into the mid-1900s, but with the decline of the coal industry, its economy changed focus to that of a farming and ranching base. In 2016, Temple Aaron closed its doors ending a chapter in its 127-year history with the Jewish community. A dwindling congregation and mounting costs for insurance, maintenance, and necessary repairs were factors that led to the closure. Today the building retains its original stained glass windows as well as its hand-carved pulpit, which were brought to Temple Aaron by wagon train. Colorado Preservation, Inc. currently holds an easement on the property and has been involved in many projects with the building over the years. The property is for sale and the congregation would like to see a new use that embraces its strong Jewish tradition.
THIS YEAR THE ENDANGERED PLACES PROGRAM RECOGNIZES TWO SITES CONSIDERED SAVED FOR 2017. The success of the Endangered Places Program is a result of the dedicated efforts of concerned citizens, legislators, local governments, commercial businesses, organizations, and foundations. Colorado Preservation, Inc. is honored to list 41 resources as SAVED thanks to the tireless dedication and efforts of individuals whose continuous efforts push the projects forward. As we work with our newly listed endangered sites it is essential to celebrate these successes as we move into the new year.
“These ‘Saves’ are evidence of the love that the people of Colorado have for their history and the fierce dedication of many to persevere against what sometimes appears to be overwhelming odds to save places that continue to represent Colorado’s story. The individuals and groups who have done the hard work and brought these sites back to life for now and future generations have our deepest admiration and praise for a job well done.” Linda Balough
Past CPI Board Member
Constructed in 1909, the Hugo Union Pacific Railroad Roundhouse is one of only three remaining from the original pre-merger Union Pacific Railroad, and the only one in Colorado. It’s also the only surviving brick roundhouse in the state and one of the most significant historical sites on Colorado’s Central Plains. The roundhouse was built to service the engines on the Kansas-Pacific Railroad and was one of several serving the Hugo Division Point for the Kansas-Pacific. It was a major part of this division point from 1909 through the early 1950s, serving both the KansasPacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad. The roundhouse assisted the growing passenger and commerce transportation across the plains and was a major source of employment for the town of Hugo. When Colorado Preservation, Inc. first listed Hugo’s Union Pacific Roundhouse as one of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places in 2002, its future was uncertain. Despite the building’s poor condition a historic structure assessment determined the building to be salvageable, but only if stabilization occurred as soon as possible.
TO SAVE OR NOT TO SAVE? ...that is the question.
The Hugo Roundhouse had the support of Lincoln County Commissioners and with the formation of Roundhouse
Preservation, Inc. as a 501(c)(3) in 2002, the project received additional support of dedicated citizens committed to a vision for its future. At the time of the EPP listing, funding was a primary concern. The first State Historical Fund (SHF) grant was approved in 2002 to assist the non-profit in purchasing the roundhouse from a local citizen, stabilize the building to prevent collapse, hire consultants to prepare a historic structure assessment, and complete the first phase of the masonry wall stabilization. Union Pacific donated to the county the land on which the roundhouse sat. Over the years the project received multiple grants from SHF and other sources including the Gates Family Foundation and a Transportation Enhancement grant. In May 2008, strong winds caused a partial collapse of the north wall of the roundhouse. This created a major setback to the project, which had been steadily advancing until this point. Patience and persistence remained strong however, and by 2010 a new roof was installed. The damaged walls have since been repaired and new windows installed. RPI holds on to the passion of restoring the roundhouse. Two railcars have been donated to the project and new track has been laid. The project received a progress award from the Endangered Places Program at CPI’s Dana Crawford Awards in 2016. Future phased work includes installation of the remaining six doors, reconstruction of the transom windows above the doors, and the addition of interior screens on the one operable sash in each of the 24 windows.
SAVED! NATIVE AMERICAN WICKIUPS
Groups of indigenous hunter-gather people lived in Colorado’s mountains and rugged canyon country for thousands of years preceding the arrival of European immigrants in the region beginning in the late sixteenth century. The material culture of these early aboriginal people was for the most part lightweight, portable, and ephemeral, allowing for only what they could cache or carry on their seasonal migrations. Continually on the move, they fashioned temporary shelters and other utilitarian structures from available materials, typically using poles and branches from living and dead trees for structural supports, and bark and brush for coverings. Brush shelters and other wooden structures do not survive for long in the natural environment, no more than a few hundred years at best, and offer only a fleeting record of the life ways of Colorado’s early indigenous people. Nevertheless, hundreds of archaeological sites are known to exist throughout central and northwestern Colorado that still contain many kinds of aboriginal wooden features — including conical brush shelters (wickiups), teepee poles, tree platforms, brush fences and corrals, tripods, wind breaks, hunting blinds, and more. A majority of these surviving features are associated with the indigenous Ute people who inhabited territory spanning most of present day Colorado and Utah, from prehistoric times until the late nineteenth century. They are the only indigenous Native Americans still living on portions of their aboriginal Colorado home lands.
Archaeological Research Group (DARG) was founded and immediately commenced operations with an archaeological assessment of a wickiup village site (funded in part by the SHF and the Bureau of Land Management). The assessment project was conceived as a demonstration of a research strategy DARG was developing which focused on intensive documentation of at-risk, poorly recorded and understudied archaeological resources. With the support of Colorado Preservation, Inc., the SHF, and numerous land management agency partners, DARG’s project established itself as the Colorado Wickiup Project and soon began to attract a growing network of preservation partners. Most significantly, DARG began to reach out and collaborate with the Ute Tribes in the early phases of the Colorado Wickiup Project and other archaeological investigations, helping to add the Ute’s indigenous perspective. The Colorado Wickiup Project has gone on to intensively document hundreds of aboriginal wooden features throughout the state. In 2014, the Colorado Wickiup Project shared the 12th Annual Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation with many partners. The project was cited as an outstanding example of research that combines archaeology, ethnography, history, and technological innovation. While the project is not complete, classification as a SAVE for 2017 recognizes the incredible efforts made since listing and the documentation that has occurred as a result.
In 2003, Colorado Preservation, Inc. listed Native American Arboreal Wickiup and Teepee Sites as one of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places. In the fall of that year Dominquez
20 YEARS OF SAVING ENDANGERED PLACES “In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy.” – John Sawhill Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program celebrates 20 years in 2017; 20 years of collaboration and advocacy; 20 years demonstrating that Saving Places is effective and provides economic benefits to communities across Colorado. The Endangered Places Program, through its threepronged approach of providing awareness, advocacy, and assistance to threatened sites statewide, has encouraged communities and individuals to regard their places as important. It has helped guide their efforts to design preservation plans EPP resources are located in around their specific 49 counties & 71 communities challenges. The program garners 1% support locally and 8% 11% nationally, which often provides 11% 20% the necessary catalyst for moving 12% a site forward. It legitimizes the resource with 19% 18% the support of a statewide preservation organization. Central Western Slope
Denver Metro Southeast Southwest
Northeast Northwest Statewide
For Colorado Preservation, Inc. (CPI), development
of an Endangered Places Program began in 1996, when staff attended the statewide partner sessions at the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s annual conference. During these 80% of sites are listed in either sessions many the National or State Register or are of the statewide locally landmarked preservation organizations began discussing 4% 5% 17% their newly formed 5% Endangered 5% Places Programs, many of which 10% 17% were modeled after the 11% National Trust’s 15% 11% America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places Education/Institutional Transportation listing. Staff Commercial Religious presented this Agricultural Industrial concept to the Mining Multicultural board upon Entertainment Residential return and a design committee was organized to develop the program. CPI’s Endangered Places Program (EPP) was the culmination of two years of planning and a four-month selection process for the first listed sites in 1998.
PRIMARY RESOURCE THEMES
From the beginning, the goal of EPP was to emphasize a broad range of endangered places; reminding Coloradans of the great diversity in our places of heritage statewide and identifying the varied threats endangering their survival. The program would become an educational tool; providing CPI access to diverse stories, people, and preservation issues while reaching a new audience of supporters and allies throughout the state.
CPI developed key guiding criteria for the program including regional representation, diversity in resource type, and an involved selection process led by an informed Review Committee (comprised of professionals from different fields and regions of the state). In review of the nominations urgency of the threat would be considered, as well as an early definition of what would classify the resource a “save.” A save could be achieved relatively quickly, or involve decades of committed efforts; while a probable loss could be worth the listing if the lesson learned could serve the greater community. Finally, to be successful, 6% 4% each listed resource would need to exhibit strong community support with a lead 34% 56% advocate working on the ground locally.
SITE CONSTRUCTION DATES
Demolition, neglect, natural forces, land value fluctuation, uninformed Pre-1850 1901–1950 public policy, and 1850–1900 1951–2000 unsympathetic owners are just a few of the continuous threats to historic resources. To date, 36% of the program’s resources have been “saved,” 6% lost, and the rest remain in various stages of progress. The success of the program is a result of the dedicated efforts of concerned citizens, the support of our partners, and the technical assistance staff and volunteers provide with listing. Even with this record of success, historic buildings, cultural landscapes, and prehistoric sites across the state continue to face threats that jeopardize the future of the physical representations of Colorado’s rich history. CPI remains committed to this critical program; and the significant impact it continues to have on preservation statewide.
Saving Places is an ongoing process and EPP’s work plans for each listed property continuously evolve. The early success and strength of EPP was recognized when CPI received a Stephen H. Hart Award in 1998. The program was officially designated as a Save America’s Treasures project by the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 2010. In the 20 years since CPI published its first list of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places, changes have been made, yet the core of the program has remained. Through EPP, CPI has been able to elevate the awareness brought to individual struggles occurring across the state; shedding new light on and bringing attention to places too important to lose. As a result of EPP, larger preservation issues have been addressed statewide and special sites in need of further research, protection, and emphasis have been identified. Communities have come forward seeking CPI’s assistance in writing grants, addressing specific preservation issues, and advocating for the protection of their local landmarks. EPP has evolved to meet new preservation challenges and has become a constructive educational and advocacy tool. The program’s most recent effort has been finding substantial ways to expand its traditional audience, creating unique lasting partnerships, and fostering mentorships between listed resources. EPP would not be possible without the financial support from donors and the State Historical Fund, who agree that helping preserve Colorado’s most threatened historic places is critically important to protecting the cultural, financial, and environmental health of our communities.
SHOP TO SAVE! CBS4 AND COLORADO’S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES Since 2002, CBS4 has been a strong supporter and critical partner to CPI’s Endangered Places Program. Through the creative vision and dynamic storytelling of producer Kevin Strong, photographer Doug Whitehead, and CBS anchor Tom Mustin, Colorado’s Most Endangered Places have come to life. For the past 15 years, this team has woven together the intricate histories of listed sites through first-hand accounts of those who understand them best. These segments are premiered at the annual Saving Places conference, and later integrated into a half-hour documentary that airs on CBS4. Over the years, many of the listed sites have used the segments produced by CBS4 in their own local marketing to raise awareness and funding for their projects. Listed endangered properties point to the films and the “Colorado’s Most Endangered Places” half-hour special as being instrumental in helping to advance their preservation goals. Each minidocumentary (in particular the broadcast halfhour special) demonstrates to the public the importance of saving historic places; highlighting why these places matter and who will be shaping their future. Colorado Preservation, Inc. is grateful to CBS4 and the committed team dedicated to promoting important heritage sites statewide.
ENDANGERED PLACES PROGRAM NECKLACES Show your support of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places by purchasing jewelry representing a few of our listed resources! Your purchase not only promotes awareness of these important places, but directly supports community efforts to SAVE Colorado’s Most Endangered Places. Each necklace is made of ivory polymer clay protected with a cover of glossy resin that is set into an antique brass design with chain. The chain and lobster clasp are nickel free. We currently have four “standard” necklace designs that include Crossan’s Market located in Yampa, Neon Signs of Colfax located in Denver Metro, Walsen Power Plant located in Walsenburg, and Gold Medal Orchard located in Cortez.
Your purchase comes with a history of your selected endangered property, how you can get involved, and a description of the Endangered Places Program.
INTERESTED IN A CUSTOM NECKLACE OF YOUR FAVORITE ENDANGERED RESOURCE?
Contact us! We are able to make necklaces of any of our listed sites using historic or current photographs.
CONTACT CPI TO PURCHASE OR ORDER ONLINE AT COLORADOPRESERVATION.ORG/SHOP
ABOUT US Colorado Preservation, Inc. is your statewide nonprofit historic preservation advocacy organization. We are dedicated to working with individuals, communities, and organizations to ensure the important places that matter to all of us remain for future generations. We were founded in 1984 with the mission to promote historic preservation through advocacy, education, outreach, and preservation services statewide. Our vision is that inspired citizens will honor and protect their heritage, build a sustainable future with historic places, and prioritize the past as a legacy for all. Since 1997, Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program has been a signature program of Colorado Preservation, Inc. (CPI). Through this program our organization works to identify threats and opportunities for historic resources across Colorado in collaboration with our local partners, concerned citizens, municipalities, businesses, and organizations. Welcome to our story and the work of our organization. We need YOU to join us in this journey.
HOW YOU CAN HELP CPI’s Endangered Places Program is looking for dedicated volunteers, professionals, students, sponsors, and organizations to join our efforts to SAVE important historic resources statewide. Take action and become a champion today!!
Dedicated individuals with a variety of professional skills are needed. Please contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles to work directly with the program and one of our listed sites. The Endangered Places Program also holds annual Weekend Workshops to provide GIVE! volunteers with exciting Your donation of $100 hands-on experience and or more will provide learning opportunities at necessary funding listed endangered sites. and can contribute to matching State Historical Fund grants and other NOMINATE! funds for the program. Do you know of a Site specific donations significant endangered site are strongly encouraged that could benefit from to promote the work of the Endangered Places our listed properties. Program? Nominations may be submitted throughout the year by individuals, nonprofit organizations, local governments, etc. Download a nomination form online at
ATTEND THE ANNUAL SAVING PLACES CONFERENCE! ®
Learn the latest techniques, best practices, and historic preservation solutions to take back to your own community. CPI’s conference is typically held in Denver the first week in February and has grown to become the largest statewide preservation conference (second nationwide only to the National Trust Conference). Check our website for the latest Conference information.
STATUS OF LISTED SITES SAVED! Amache Internment Camp (2001), Prowers County Beaumont Home (2004), Pueblo County Bradford Perley House (2002), Jefferson County Chimney Rock National Monument (2008), Archuleta County City Ditch (2003), Douglas, Arapahoe, & Denver Counties Civic Center (2007), Denver County Colorado Capitol Dome (2010), Denver County Como Depot (2006), Park County Cripple Creek (1998), Teller County Daniels Schoolhouse (2006), Weld County Downtown Greeley (2000), Weld County Durango Power House (2001), La Plata County Emma Store (2000), Pitkin County Evans School (2000), Denver County Georgetown School (2006), Clear Creek County Grandview Terrace Neighborhood (1999), Boulder County Grant Avenue Church & Community Center (2002), Denver County Hahn’s Peak Fire Lookout (2014), Routt County Handy Chapel (2011), Mesa County Hanger 61 (2005), Denver County Hanging Flume (1999), Montrose County Hugo Roundhouse (2002), Lincoln County (SAVE for 2017!) Hutchinson Homestead & Ranch (2003), Chaffee County Kennedy/Mancos Grain Elevator (2013), Montezuma County Lewis Mill (1998), San Miguel County Lime Kilns (2001), Pitkin County Manitou Springs Spa (2000), El Paso County Native American Arboreal Wickiup Sites (2003), Statewide (SAVE for 2017!) Original Gold Hill Townsite (2000), Boulder County Pillars of P.O.W. Camp 202 (2005), Weld County Preston Farm (1998), Larimer County Ralston Cemetery (2011), Jefferson County
Red Mountain Mining District (1999), Ouray & San Miguel Counties
Goodnight Barn (2002), Pueblo County
Redstone Castle (2004), Pitkin County
Grand Junction Depot (2010), Mesa County
Centre Avenue (2017), Weld County
Rialto Theatre (2008), Alamosa County
Greeley, Salt Lake and Pacific RR Grade-Stout Branch (2009), Larimer County
Rock Creek Stage Stop (2000), Routt County San Rafael Church (2001), Conejos County Satank Bridge (2003), Garfield County Shield Rock Art Site (2001), Rio Blanco County Studzinski Block (2001), Pueblo County Toltec Hotel (1998), Las Animas County
Gold Medal Orchard (2015), Montezuma County Historic Eastside Neighborhood (2012), Pueblo County Historic I-70 Mountain Corridor Communities (2005), Clear Creek County Homesteading Resources of Escalante Canyon (2013), Delta County Hotchkiss Barn (2013), Delta County
InterLaken Resort (2001), Lake County
4 Bar 4 Ranch (2014), Grand County
Leadville Mining District (1998), Lake County
Alta Lakes (2000), San Miguel County Arkansas Valley Fairground Adobe Stables (2007), Otero County Belvidere Theater (2016), Jefferson County Bent County High School (2004), Bent County Brown’s Sheep Camp (2010), Las Animas County Central City (1998), Gilpin County Colona School & Grange (2006), Ouray County Colorado Fuel & Iron Plant-Museum (1999), Pueblo County Commodore Mining District (2006), Mineral County Crossan’s Market (2012), Routt County Dearfield Farming Colony (1999), Weld County Denver & Rio Grande Antonito Depot (2007), Conejos County Denver Tramway Company Streetcar No. 04 (2015), Jefferson County Deputy Warden’s House (2011), Fremont County El Corazon de Trinidad Distinctive Commercial District (2000), Las Animas County Elkhorn Lodge (2010), Larimer County Fort Lyon (2013), Bent County Fourth Street Commercial District, Saguache (2009), Saguache County
McElmo Creek Flume (2011), Montezuma County Moffat Road/Hill Road (2012), Rural Boulder, Grand, and Gilpin Counties Neon Signs of Colfax (2014), Denver County (Moved from Alert to Progress!) Outbuildings of Lake City (2010), Hinsdale County Paris Mill (2004), Park County Riverside Cemetery (2008), Denver and Adams Counties Salida Opera House (2011), Chaffee County Silver Dollar Saloon (2008), Teller County Sixteenth Street Mall (2009), Denver County Snowstorm Gold Dredge (2001), Park County Soldiers & Sailors Home (2005), Rio Grande County Sullivan Gateway (2012), Denver County Sundial Plaza/Cranmer Park (2013), Denver County Tabor Opera House (2016), Gilpin County Ute Ulay Mill & Town site (2015), Hinsdale County Walsenburg Power Plant (2009), Huerfano County
Black Hawk (1998), Gilpin County Central Platoon School (2012), Morgan County Colorado Fuel & Iron Plant-Industrial Plant (1999), Pueblo County Craig Depot (2008), Moffat County Foxton Post Office (2002), Jefferson County Gianella Building (2004), Las Animas County Glen Huntington Bandshell (2016), Boulder County Great Western Sugar Factory (2016), Adams County Hispanic Cultural Landscapes of the Purgatoire River Valley (1998), Las Animas County McLaughlin Building (2007), Pueblo County Mid-Century Resources of Littleton Boulevard (2014), Arapahoe County Montoya Ranch (2014), Huerfano County Reiling Gold Dredge (2015), Summit County Santa Fe Trail & Southeast Heritage Region (2007), Baca, Bent, Las Animas & Otero Counties Stranges Grocery (2001), Mesa County Temple Aaron (2017), Las Animas County Union Pacific Pumphouse (2005), Cheyenne County Lizzy Knight’s Cabin (2012), Rural Dolores County World’s Wonder View Tower (2017), Lincoln County
LOST Christian Science Church (1998), Teller County Columbian Elementary School (2004), Bent County Currigan Exhibition Hall (2000), Denver County Given Institute (2011), Pitkin County Kit Carson Hotel (2003), Otero County Willowcroft Manor & Farm (2010), Arapahoe County
Windsor Mill (2002), Weld County
Fruita Bridge (2002), Mesa County
Colorado Preservation, Inc. gratefully acknowledges the following for their generous support of the Endangered Places Program in 2016. 2016 Sponsors:
2016 Donors: Ace Eat Serve
Aramark Mesa Verde
Creede Repertory Theatre
Interpretive Association of Western Colorado
Crow Canyon Archaeological Center
Iron Mountain Hot Springs Jim Jordan
Renaissance Denver Downtown Hotel
CU Presents at CU Boulder
Reserve Hotel & Casino
Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad
Judy E. Gaughan
Richard Cronenberg Richard Hentzell
Kit Carson County Carousel Association
K-Sauce Latka Studios
Roselawn Cemetery Foundation
Denver Firefighter’s Museum
Bessemer Historical Society/Steelworks Museum
Denver Zoo Dostal Alley Brew Pub
L’il Hotties Salsa
Royal Gorge Bridge & Park
Rusted Poppy B&B
Black Cat Restaurant
Durango & Silverton Railroad
Main Street Brush
Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra
Eldorado Springs Resort
Save The Site: Drone Photography
Box Canyon Lodge and Hot Springs
Arkansas Valley Fair Aspen Historical Society Aspen Music Festival & School Aspen Skiing Company August, Inc. Bandimere Speedway
Bramble & Hare
Breckenridge Heritage Alliance
General Palmer Hotel
Brewers Association, Denver
Georgetown Loop Railroad
Canyon Wind Cellars
Gilpin County Arts Association
Gilpin County History
Central City Main Street Central City Opera Central City Visitor Center Century Hotel & Casino Cherokee Ranch Cindy Nasky Clyfford Still Museum
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park Grand Lake Historical Society Greeley Historic Preservation Happy Cakes Havey Productions Hidee Gold Mine Tours
High County News
Colorado Dept of Personnel & Administration
Historic Georgetown Inc.
Colorado Railroad Museum
Historic Routt County
Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center Colorado Symphony Orchestra
History Colorado Hotel Boulderado Hotel Denver
Life Cycle Balloon Rides
Main Street Central City
Relish Catering & Events
Schlayer Design Smart Cookie Dog Treats
Solar Roast Coffee
Mountain Goat Gallery
Stoic & Genuine
National Preservation Institute
Niyol Jewelry Older Than Dirt Construction Otero County
Storytelling Strands Supporters of Colorado Preservation and Colorado Parks & Wildlife Taspen’s Organics Tattered Cover Bookstore
The Kitchen Restaurant
Pickett Brothers Beverage
U.S. Forest Service
Pike’s Peak Cog Railway
Watkins Stained Glass
Pink Fog Plant Inspiration Postino Wine Café Prost Brewing Puzzah! Queen City Architectural Salvage Range Restaurant Rebecca Goodwin
FOR YOUR SUPPORT
Ridge at Castle Pines Golf
Main Street Steamboat Springs
National Trust for Historic Preservation
Vineyard Wine Shop
Windsor Hotel Woodhouse Day Spa WPA Horseshoe Lodge Wynkoop Brewing Company Yampah Caves & Day Spa
Colorado Preservation, Inc. is a 501 (c) 3, and Colorado’s only statewide nonprofit grassroots preservation organization. 1420 Ogden Street, Suite 104 Denver, Colorado 80218 (303) 893-4260
ColoradoPreservation.org firstname.lastname@example.org #coloradopreservation
1420 Ogden Street Âˇ Suite 104 Denver, CO 80218 P 303.893.4260 x237 E email@example.com
BOARD OF DIRECTORS & STAFF Colorado Preservation, Inc. Board of Directors OFFICERS: Julie Johnson
Vice-Chair Eastern Slope, Greeley
Vice-Chair Western Slope, Durango
BOARD MEMBERS: Ashley Bushey, Denver
Robert Musgraves, Denver
Elizabeth Hallas, Golden
Bill Nelson, Denver
Graham Johnson, Denver
Bentley Rayburn, Colorado Springs
Kim Kintz, Grand Junction
Dominick Sekich, Denver
Karl Kumli, Boulder
Robin Theobald, Breckenridge
Blair Miller, Denver
Jane Watkins, Denver
Colorado Preservation Staff Jennifer Orrigo Charles
Preservation Services Director
Events, Development, & Membership Director