COLORADO’S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES Issue No. 19
A signature initiative of
COLORADO’S MOST ENDANGERED PLACES
IN THIS ISSUE Introduction 3 Great Western Sugar Factory Complex
Glen Huntington Bandshell
Tabor Opera House
CPI & How You Can Help
Historic Preservation License Plate
SAVE - Hahn’s Peak Fire Lookout
SAVE - Amache
SAVE - Ralston Cemetery
Status of Listed Sites
Sponsor List Board Members & Staff Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Map
24 Back Cover Insert
Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program 2016 Published Annually • Issue No. 19 This project was paid for in part by a History Colorado State Historical Fund grant.
Colorado Preservation, Inc.’s mission is to promote historic preservation throughout Colorado through advocacy, education, outreach and preservation services. For more information visit www.coloradopreservation.org or call 303.893.4260
BUILDING A FUTURE
WELCOME! A signature initiative of Colorado Preservation, Inc. (CPI), Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program (EPP) was developed in 1997 to spotlight threatened significant historic resources. EPP serves as a catalyst for positive change, bringing awareness and technical assistance to sites, buildings, structures, and cultural landscapes statewide. This program engages leaders at all levels to find creative and innovate solutions to keep Colorado’s heritage alive. This year Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program brings attention to four sites that collectively span over 100 years of Colorado history with an early 20th century sugar beet factory, two late-19th century theaters, and a 1930’s bandshell. Together these sites reveal a collective theme of community – places that represent sites of entertainment and heritage, civic engagement and industry. If these walls could talk they would reverberate with the sounds of laughter, machinery, applause, and conversation. In 2016 the Endangered Places Program recognizes a critical piece of Colorado’s history yet to be represented in the program – a sugar beet factory. Our hope is that through its listing, CPI can build appreciation for the remaining historic sugar beet resources and bring attention to a common threat facing factory buildings across the state.
The Endangered Places Program is more than a list of threatened sites. Through our listed places, EPP highlights the stories of people, communities, and potential areas for future economic development. By empowering communities, local governments, individuals, homeowners, developers, etc., the impact of CPI extends beyond its selected Endangered Places to hundreds of historic sites and communities statewide. CPI’s EPP sites are woven throughout every region of the state. Join us on this journey through the preservation of community heritage and discover a sense of place as represented by these historic resources. We invite you to use this brochure as a guide to your own adventures in Colorado and as a way to start, enhance, or continue your involvement with your own community’s historic places. Learn about all of our listed sites online at www.coloradopreservation.org. The Endangered Places Program is made possible through the support of the History Colorado State Historical Fund and our generous sponsors, donors, and partners. Please become a Colorado Preservation, Inc. supporter and volunteer and help us continue to Build a Future with Historic Places.
Jennifer Orrigo Charles Endangered Places Program Director
GREAT WESTERN SUGAR FACTORY COMPLEX Early prospectors came to the mountains of Colorado seeking riches of gold and silver, while many early 20thcentury pioneers found agricultural prosperity through “White Gold” also known as the sugar beet. Sugar beets were cultivated in Colorado as early as 1869. Farmers quickly identified many aspects of Colorado’s plains that were conducive to growing beets such as the high number of sunny, frost-free days that fit well with the growing cycle of the sugar beet. Sugar beet factories (known interchangeably as beet sugar factories) were vital to Colorado’s agricultural-based economic development and provided an essential way of life to communities throughout the state. Few of these sugar beet complexes remain. Those still standing do so in a variety of capacities—some intact, some partially adapted to a new use. The Great Western Sugar Company (GWS) operated as many as 13 beet sugar processing factories in Colorado. Today only six remain. In the early 20th century Brighton approached GWS to build a factory complex outside of town. GWS agreed if the community would commit 5,000 acres for growing sugar beets. Construction of GWS’s tenth Colorado factory began in 1916. One year later the facility opened as GWS’s showcase operation, a result of its proximity to Denver investors. The factory incorporated state-of-theart equipment, a modern administration building, and a contextual landscape designed with visitors and dignitaries in mind. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, toured the facility in September of 1954. Amalgamated Sugar Company and its parent company, Snake River Sugar Company, retain strong ties to the Brighton community through the area’s sugar beet heritage.
Photo: Adams County Historical Society
The Great Western Sugar Company closed its Brighton plant in 1977 and Amalgamated Sugar Company purchased the complex in 1985. The company uses some of the structures for storage and distribution but many of the key industrial buildings stand vacant and unused. Despite the company’s commitment to the community, the Brighton facility shares many of the challenges facing inactive sugar factory complexes across the country. One of the unused processing buildings at the Brighton complex is immediately threatened with demolition due to safety concerns and hazardous materials. Colorado Preservation, Inc. (through the Endangered Places Program) and the Brighton Historic Preservation Commission will be working with Snake River Sugar Company to consider redevelopment options for the site and/or documentation.
“I believe the stories of smalltown community spirit still live on today and give both original and new residents a sense of belonging,” author and local advocate Robin Kring writes. “The factory and beet sugars are so much a part of the community’s identity that just the nostalgic sight of the towering white sugar silos remind us we are home.”
Photo, compliments of Oscar Lee, Jr.
GLEN HUNTINGTON BANDSHELL For 78 years the Glen Huntington Bandshell has been a fixture in downtown Boulder’s Central Park; a place of community pride, public gatherings, and civic events. It stands as a rare example of Art Deco architecture in Boulder and is one of only two Colorado bandshells from the early to mid-1900s. (The other is the 1938 bandshell at the Mineral Palace Park in Pueblo.) The Boulder Lions Club dedicated the bandshell to the Boulder community on June 26, 1938 at a ceremony with over 2,000 people in attendance. The bandshell was designed by Boulder architect Glen H. Huntington (designer of the Boulder County Courthouse, Boulder High School, and properties in the University Hill neighborhood). The structure reflects an elliptical style similar to other bandshells of the period including California’s famous 1922 Hollywood Bowl and Chicago’s 1931 Grant Park Bandshell. By 1937 civic planner and landscape architect Saco DeBoer began designing the Bandshell landscape plan which was completed in 1940. A strong promoter of the City Beautiful Movement, DeBoer served as Denver’s official landscape architect from 1910 to 1931. His Denver projects include the Botanical Gardens, Red Rocks Amphitheatre, and Speer Boulevard.
BOULDER COUNTY A grassroots effort, “Save the Bandshell,” led to the site’s designation as a Boulder Local Landmark in 1995. According to the designation memorandum, the Glen Huntington Bandshell is “environmentally significant for its planned and natural site characteristics; as a component of the central urban park; and as an established, familiar, and prominent visual landmark for Boulder citizens due to its arched design, its location near major thoroughfares, and its amphitheater seating.” Boulder’s Parks and Recreation Department repaired and restored the structure in 1997. Today the future of the Glen Huntington Bandshell remains uncertain. A new Master Plan calls for moving or demolishing the structure, removal of the seating, and altering DeBoer’s designed landscape. Concerned local advocates strongly support keeping the structure in its original location, reincorporating and redefining it as a community asset integrated with planned events in Boulder’s Central Park.
Photo: Boulder, CO Carnegie Library for Local History
Boulder residents demonstrated their commitment to the bandshell in the 1990s when it was threatened with demolition.
Photo: Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library
BELVIDERE THEATRE Located at the south end of Main Street in Central City’s National Historic Landmark District stands the famous Belvidere Theatre. Few buildings in town incorporate such a strong sense of place and community as this imposing structure. Now vacant and suffering from years of deferred maintenance, the building only hints at its former grandeur… and what the community hopes the Belvidere will be again. Since its construction in 1875, the Belvidere Theater has performed many roles for this legendary mining camp. As a performance venue, the Belvidere Theatre reflected the rich theatrical tradition in Central City, which was the de facto economic, social and cultural capital Photo: Western History/Genealogy Dept., of Colorado in the midDenver Public Library 1870s. The Belvidere was constructed after the great fire of 1874 destroyed many of the early Central City buildings. Henry Teller and Judge Silas Hahn proposed this new theater building as a two-story brick building with business space on the main floor. The second floor (built into the steep hillside) would house a 450seat performing space with a raised stage and seven sets of scenery. The local paper called it “the finest, if not the largest public hall in the Territory.” The Belvidere became an instant success among Central City residents and visitors. Along with local theatrical and musical performances, the Belvidere hosted traveling theater troupes, magicians, minstrel shows, and band concerts. The theater, however would be undone by its own success: a local production of “The Bohemian Girl” so convincingly demonstrated the building’s
GILPIN COUNTY limitations as a theater that plans were immediately underway to construct a new, finer opera house, the Central City Opera House, which is still in use to world-wide acclaim today. Theatrical uses of the Belvidere precipitously declined after the opening of the Central City Opera House in 1878, yet its first floor businesses continued to thrive. Best known among them was Beaman’s Central Bottling Works (which opened in 1886 and continued until 1904). The building housed a variety of tenants over the years, including various retail outlets and Company F of the First Infantry, Colorado National Guard, which designated the building as Armory Hall. The Central City Garage opened on the Belvidere’s main floor in 1915, while the still-functional theater space hosted various community events. The school district actually used the main theater floor for a basketball court in the 1930’s, and a WPA project in 1938 converted the ground floor into a community center of sorts. The Belvidere hosted dances, screened movies, and provided a much-needed sense of place for the residents of Central City. After 2000, the property quietly slipped into a period of neglect and disarray. However, the draw and community memory of the Belvidere Theatre remained strong. An opportunity arose in 2015 when Gilpin County acquired the building. Today the City and the County are committed to the redevelopment of this historic property and Central City’s new status as a Main Street Community presents new prospects for this resilient and cherished building.
TABOR OPERA HOUSE “On Harrison Avenue in Leadville stands the elegant brick Tabor Opera House, the most imposing edifice in the city and conceded by all to be the finest theater west of the Missouri River. All the appointments of this temple of amusement are first-class in every respect; the scenery artistic, and under the full flood of gas-light the coziest place for lovers of the legitimate drama to throw off the busy cares of life and yield to the fascinations of music and imagery.” – 1880 report by Lewis A. Kent in Leadville the City, Mines, and Bullion Product Financed by one of Colorado’s best-known mining entrepreneurs, Horace Austin Warner Tabor, the Tabor Opera House opened on November 20, 1879, a mere 100 days after initial construction began. The three-story building included two retail stores on the first floor, an elegant theater on the second floor, and a third floor that connected to the adjacent Clarendon Hotel via passageway. The ornate interior boasted 72 gas jets (the first gas lights to illuminate Leadville), richly painted walls and ceiling frescoes, custom carpets, and hand-painted stage curtains. Oscar Wilde, Harry Houdini, John Philip Sousa, and Buffalo Bill were among the famous entertainers and speakers who performed at the Tabor Opera House.
LAKE COUNTY rooms used by stage celebrities of the 1880s were retained. In 1954 the Elks built a new lodge and the future of the Tabor Opera House stood in jeopardy. The property survives today thanks to those who recognized the significance of the building and remained dedicated to retaining this iconic monument of Colorado history. Evelyn Livingston Furman purchased the building to save it from demolition in 1955. The Tabor functioned as a seasonal entertainment venue under the ownership of the Furman family which has continued through three generations. Finding a new buyer for the property who will maintain the building’s integrity while restoring and rehabilitating it to a new use is essential. Ultimately the Tabor Opera House can serve as an economic catalyst for further investment in downtown Leadville, a National Historic Landmark District and a newly selected Main Street Community.
Horace Tabor lost his fortune following the 1893 Silver Crash and the property changed hands. In 1901 the Order of the Elks acquired the building and remodeled it as a lodge, theater, and meeting hall. Fortunately, much of the original stage scenery, props, and basement dressing
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Colorado Preservation, Inc. was founded in 1984 as a nonprofit statewide organization. Our mission is to promote historic preservation statewide through advocacy, education, outreach, and preservation services to communities and individuals. CPI’s vision is that inspired citizens statewide will honor and protect their heritage, build a sustainable future with historic places and prioritize the past as a legacy for generations to come.
CPI’s EPP is looking for dedicated volunteers, professionals, students, sponsors, and organizations to join our efforts to SAVE important historic sites throughout the state. Take action and become a champion today!
Since 1997, Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Program (EPP) has been a signature program of CPI, and through this effort our organization works to identify threats and opportunities for historic resources across Colorado in collaboration with local partners, concerned citizens, municipalities, businesses, and organizations.
site that could benefit from the Endangered Places Program? Nominations may be submitted throughout the year by individuals, nonprofit organizations, local governments, etc. Download a nomination form online at www.coloradopreservation.org
Welcome to our story and the work of our organization. You are invited to join us in this journey.
• Volunteer! Teams of dedicated individuals with a variety of
skills are needed. Please contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles to offer your services to the organization and/or the Endangered Places Program. Site specific volunteers are always needed! If you would like to keep up to date on the latest developments at a listed site please let us know. The Endangered Places Program arranges Weekend Workshops yearly to provide our volunteers with exciting hands-on experience and learning opportunities at listed endangered sites.
• Nominate! Do you know of a significant endangered
• Give! Your donation of $100 or more will provide necessary funding and can contribute to matching State Historical Fund grants and other funds for the program.
Site specific donations are strongly encouraged to promote the work of our listed properties. To receive contact information for a specific site, contact Jennifer Orrigo Charles at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Support CPI’s Historic Preservation themed License Plate! Show your support by signing our petition online and then contact CPI to find out how you can be one of the first to purchase a plate.
• Attend the annual Saving Places® Conference!
Learn the latest techniques, best practices, and historic preservation solutions to take back to your own community. The conference is typically held in Denver the first week in February. Check our website for the latest conference information. CPI Board and Staff, Fall 2015
HISTORIC PRESERVATION THEMED LICENSE PLATE Colorado, have you heard? Colorado Preservation, Inc. is leading the charge to bring a historic preservation themed license plate to the state. This themed plate will highlight the importance of preservation in our communities with 100% of Colorado Preservation, Inc.’s proceeds supporting endangered places statewide.
We Need You
Show your love of history, heritage, and historic preservation by signing the online or in-person petition. Interested in being one of the first to receive the license plate? Contact us to be placed on a list for notification once plates become available.
THIS YEAR THE ENDANGERED PLACES PROGRAM RECOGNIZES THREE SITES CONSIDERED SAVED FOR 2016. The success of the Endangered Places Program is a result of the dedicated efforts of concerned citizens, legislators, local governments, commercial businesses, organizations, and foundations. Colorado Preservation, Inc is honored to list 39 buildings as SAVED thanks to the tireless dedication and efforts of individuals whose continuous efforts pushed the projects forward. As we work with our newly listed endangered sites it is essential to celebrate the success of the sites moving into the new year.
The submitted license plate design is the result of collaborative efforts by graphic designers Dane Burneson (founder of Aksels, Inc.) and Justin Nittmann with the assistance of CPI staff and board. The design reflects a traditional Colorado Main Street and stresses the importance of saving character defining sites that are integral to our sense of place and community.
How can I Help?
SIGN CPI needs to collect a minimum of 3,000 signatures
from Colorado registered vehicle owners in order to move forward with the license plate. Sign to show your support at www.ipetitions.com/petition/support-historic-preservationlicense-plate. Please note, your signature DOES NOT require you to purchase a plate or provide a monetary donation. Signatures can also be acquired in person using the form at www.coloradopreservation.org.
SPREAD THE WORD Send the link to friends and family and promote the plate through social media!
“These ‘Saves’ are evidence of the love that the people of Colorado have for their history and the fierce dedication of many to persevere against what sometimes appears to be overwhelming odds to save places that continue to represent Colorado’s story. The individuals and groups who have done the hard work and brought these sites back to life for now and future generations have our deepest admiration and praise for a job well done.” Linda Balough
Chair of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places Committee Director, Park County Department of Heritage, Tourism and Community Development Director, South Park National Heritage Area
HAHN’S PEAK FIRE LOOKOUT ROUTT COUNTY
LISTED: 2014 THREAT: VANDALISM, NATURAL ELEMENTS Lured by the prospect of gold, German immigrant Joseph Henn settled in the area now known as Hahn’s Peak in the early 1860s. The mountain and the village were named for Henn (pronounced “Hahn”) and the village of Hahn’s Peak was the first settlement in Routt County, later becoming its first county seat. The area proved to be quite successful for mining between 1860 and 1890. At an elevation of 10,839 feet, Hahn’s Peak is one of the most prominent mountains in northern Routt County. In the early 1900s the U.S. Forest Service selected the peak as the location for a new administrative building for managing forest resources—the Hahn’s Peak Fire Lookout. Records suggest construction of the lookout began in 1908. Walls were constructed of local stone from the top of the mountain and the remains of the Hahn’s Peak Gold Mining and Milling Company operations on the Royal Flush–Wedge Lode mining claim. Work was completed in 1912. The property was later “enlarged and modernized” in 1942. Use of the site decreased in the late 1940s as fire monitoring airplanes eliminated the need for fire lookouts. Luckily, the structure was not demolished. Prior to emergency stabilization work in 2013 and extensive work during the summer of 2015, Hahn’s Peak Lookout was in imminent danger of collapsing. Furthermore, the site was continually threatened by vandalism. In the past, fires were set inside
the structure, using pieces of milled lumber from the structure itself. Vandals removed grounding materials designed to divert lightning strikes, left graffiti, and removed interior plaster. The foundation on all elevations deteriorated due to lack of maintenance and severe weather conditions. The site is declared SAVED in 2016 as a result of the significant collaborative efforts that have occurred since listing as an endangered site. Project funding was made possible through generous grants and donations from the U.S. Forest Service (owner), History Colorado State Historical Fund (SHF), the National Trust for Historic Preservation (Peter Grant Fund), and the Museum and Heritage Fund of the Board of Routt County Commissioners. In 2014 Historic Routt County (HRC) hired HistoriCorps®, a national nonprofit organization and close partner of CPI, to complete the restoration work and mobilize volunteers. The Rocky Mountain Youth Corps’ Historic Preservation Corps was also hired, bringing youths from around the country to the site to assist with the restoration work. HRC is an awardwinning, nationally-recognized nonprofit historic preservation organization with a mission to preserve and promote the historic character of Routt County communities and rural areas through the built environment. Listing the site as one of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places in 2014 effectively launched the Hahn’s Peak Fire Lookout project. The listing provided the momentum to garner much-needed public awareness for the project and became a catalyst for action. The program brought instant credibility to the project, helping to secure grants, partners, and volunteers to make the work possible.
LISTED: 2001 THREAT: NEGLECT, LACK OF MAINTENANCE AND COMPREHENSIVE PLANNING The Granada Relocation Center, better known as Amache, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 2006. Located near the town of Granada in southeastern Colorado, Amache is a nationally significant, outstanding example of a WWII Japanese-American confinement site. Amache opened in August 1942 and remained in use for the duration of WWII until the War Assets Administration disposed of, mainly off-site, the last of its buildings. At its peak, the site housed 7,318 people and was one of ten confinement sites in the nation created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration. When Colorado Preservation, Inc. selected the site as one of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places in 2001, the property was underutilized despite its exceptional national significance. Despite being open to the public, Amache had few accessible areas for educational or interpretive visitor experiences. Although University of Denver and Granada High School students used the site for research, there were no facilities or materials on site for the purposes of education, interpretation, and establishing a greater public benefit. Amache today has undergone a resurgence of interest, research, and interpretation as a result of a team effort by the Friends of Amache, the Amache Preservation Society, the National Park Service’s Japanese American Confinement Sites Program, Colorado Preservation, Inc.,
the National Trust for Historic Preservation, History Colorado’s State Historical Fund, and Colorado’s congressional delegation. Today the site retains tangible reminders of its history, including building foundations; trees planted by former internees, one of the nation’s three surviving relocation center cemeteries and intact original dirt and gravel roads. In 2007, a preservation team involving CPI organized a Comprehensive Interpretive Plan and Conceptual Development Plan outlining the interpretive and educational goals of the Amache site. Working in partnership with the Friends of Amache and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Colorado Preservation, Inc. received grants from the National Park Service’s Japanese American Confinement Sites Grant Program. These grants led to the reconstruction of a guard tower and water tower on the property as well as reconstruction of a barracks building on an original foundation. Amache is maintained and stewarded by the Amache Preservation Society, which is directed by Granada High School Social Studies teacher John Hopper and his students. Students engage at the site with ongoing maintenance, site tours, preservation projects, and artifact collecting and restoration. A few students visit Japan every other year to learn more about Japanese culture. Each year, national pilgrimages are made to all former WWII Japanese-American relocation sites. Amache is open to the public and visitors may learn about the site through an official driving tour with numbered waypoints and narrated podcasts.
Photo: Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library
HOW TO GET HERE:
County Road 23 5/10 Granada, CO 81041
SAVED! RALSTON CEMETERY
LISTED: 2011 LISTED THREAT: VANDALISM, LACK OF MAINTENANCE Ralston Crossings Cemetery has a tremendous history filled with fires, outlaws, and, more recently, an effort to restore the grounds. When this burial site was listed as one of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places in 2011 its future was uncertain. In 1994, the City of Arvada purchased the site and surrounding land for open space. A fence was constructed and the burial site was identified by a stone marker installed by friends of the cemetery and descendants of its inhabitants. Vandals, however, continued to cause significant damage to the graves and markers. At the time of listing, many of the headstones had been stolen or broken beyond repair. Without protection, research, and/or advocacy, many feared the site would be lost to deterioration, vandalism, and neglect. Matthew Prythero spearheaded efforts as a tireless and passionate advocate for the cemetery, uniting key players and generating local support. Matthew established a website for the cemetery, led fundraising efforts, organized investigatory work at the site using ground penetrating radar, and coordinated with the City of Arvada to have Ralston Cemetery listed in the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties. Efforts to maintain and promote the cemetery continue today greatly due to Matthew’s leadership and vision. Historic headstones that once lay in the dirt (allowing for the misconception that the markers were part of the path) now stand tall as a testament to the pioneers buried on the grounds. Work on the markers began in 2013 as a result of a partnership between Colorado Cemetery Conservation, LLC (now an integral part of the CoCem Project), the City of Arvada, and the Ralston Cemetery Historical
Association. Under the guidance of Ingrid McDonald with Colorado Cemetery Conservation, fifteen headstones were documented, repaired, and/or cleaned. Visitors commented how much the cemetery had changed as a result of resetting and restoring the markers. Restoration efforts continued in 2014 with the City of Arvada constructing a new cemetery entrance. This beautiful entryway prominently exhibits the cemetery’s importance to Arvada’s history. The entry was dedicated with a ceremony presented by the Arvada Parks Department, the Arvada Historical Society, and the Ralston Cemetery Association, during which Mayor Mark Williams and Parks Director Gordon Reusink applauded the work that has made the cemetery an asset to the city. The City of Arvada continues to maintain the cemetery grounds. The cemetery’s final phase of revitalization is currently underway and involves restoration of the gardens that once graced the original entrance. The gardens were maintained until 1918 by Isabella A. Brinkerhuff, who was later laid to rest in the same cemetery she cared so much for. Today, several neighbors of the cemetery have volunteered use of their water until Arvada can introduce a more permanent watering system for the grounds. Neighbors have also volunteered their time to maintain the flower gardens. Along with the gardens, apple trees have been donated by Wright’s Nursery in Arvada to stand at the boundary of the cemetery and represent the historical apple orchard that once stood south of the cemetery grounds. It is hoped that within a few years these apple trees will add to the scenery and fantastic beauty of the preserved cemetery. The Endangered Places Program brought much needed attention to the Ralston Cemetery. According to Matthew Prythero, “without the endangered listing, this cemetery never would have gotten the attention it deserved and much of the work that has been accomplished since listing could never have happened without the program.”
PAST LIST DESIGNATIONS & STATUS SAVED!
Amache (2001), Prowers County (SAVE for 2016!) Beaumont Home (2004), Pueblo County Bradford Perley House (2002), Jefferson County Chimney Rock National Monument (2008), Archuleta County City Ditch (2003), Douglas, Arapahoe, and Denver Counties Civic Center (2007), Denver County Colorado Capitol Dome (2010), Denver County Como Depot (2006), Park County Cripple Creek (1998), Teller County Daniels Schoolhouse (2006), Weld County Downtown Greeley (2000), Weld County Durango Power House (2001), La Plata County Emma Store (2000), Pitkin County Evans School (2000), Denver County Georgetown School (2006), Clear Creek County Grandview Terrace Neighborhood (1999), Boulder County Grant Avenue Church & Community Center (2002), Denver County Hahn’s Peak Fire Lookout (2014), Routt County (SAVE for 2016!)
Handy Chapel (2011), Mesa County Hanger 61 (2005), Denver County Hanging Flume (1999), Montrose County Hutchinson Homestead & Ranch (2003), Chaffee County Kennedy/Mancos Grain Elevator (2013), Montezuma County Lewis Mill (1998), San Miguel County Lime Kilns (2001), Pitkin County Manitou Springs Spa (2000), El Paso County Original Gold Hill Townsite (2000), Boulder County Pillars of P.O.W. Camp 202 (2005), Weld County Preston Farm (1998), Larimer County
Ralston Cemetery (2011), Jefferson County (SAVE for 2016!)
Red Mountain Mining District (1999), Ouray and San Miguel Counties Redstone Castle (2004), Pitkin County
Goodnight Barn (2002), Pueblo County Grand Junction Depot (2010), Mesa County
ALERT 4 Bar 4 Ranch (2014), Grand County Belvidere Theatre (2016), Jefferson County
Rialto Theatre (2008), Alamosa County
Greeley, Salt Lake and Pacific RR Grade-Stout Branch (2009), Larimer County
Rock Creek Stage Stop (2000), Routt County
Gold Medal Orchard (2015), Montezuma County
San Rafael Church (2001), Conejos County
Historic Eastside Neighborhood (2012), Pueblo County
Colorado Fuel & Iron PlantIndustrial Plant (1999), Pueblo County
Satank Bridge (2003), Garfield County
Historic I-70 Mountain Corridor Communities (2005), Clear Creek County
Craig Depot (2008), Moffat County
Homesteading Resources of Escalante Canyon (2013), Delta County
Foxton Post Office (2002), Jefferson County Gianella Building (2004), Las Animas County
Shield Rock Art Site (2001), Rio Blanco County Studzinski Block (2001), Pueblo County Toltec Hotel (1998), Las Animas County
Hotchkiss Barn (2013), Delta County
Hugo Roundhouse (2002), Lincoln County
Alta Lakes (2000), San Miguel County
InterLaken Resort (2001), Lake County
Arkansas Valley Fairground Adobe Stables (2007), Otero County
Leadville Mining District (1998), Lake County
Bent County High School (2004), Bent County
McElmo Creek Flume (2011), Montezuma County
Brown’s Sheep Camp (2010), Las Animas County
Moffat Road/Hill Road (2012), Rural Boulder, Grand, and Gilpin Counties
Central City (1998), Gilpin County Colona School & Grange (2006), Ouray County Colorado Fuel & Iron Plant-Museum (1999), Pueblo County Commodore Mining District (2006), Mineral County Crossan’s Market (2012), Routt County Dearfield Farming Colony (1999), Weld County Denver & Rio Grande Antonito Depot (2007), Conejos County Denver Tramway Company Streetcar No. 04 (2015), Jefferson County Deputy Warden’s House (2011), Fremont County El Corazon de Trinidad Distinctive Commercial District (2000), Las Animas County
Native American Arboreal Wickiup & Teepee Sites (2003), Statewide Neon Signs of Colfax (2014), Denver County (Moved from Alert to Progress!) Outbuildings of Lake City (2010), Hinsdale County Paris Mill (2004), Park County Riverside Cemetery (2008), Denver and Adams Counties Salida Opera House (2011), Chaffee County Silver Dollar Saloon (2008), Teller County Sixteenth Street Mall (2009), Denver County Snowstorm Gold Dredge (2001), Park County Soldiers & Sailors Home (2005), Rio Grande County
Elkhorn Lodge (2010), Larimer County
Sullivan Gateway (2012), Denver County
Fort Lyon (2013), Bent County
Sundial Plaza/Cranmer Park (2013), Denver County
Fourth Street Commercial District, Saguache (2009), Saguache County Fruita Bridge (2002), Mesa County
Ute Ulay Mill & Town site (2015), Hinsdale County Windsor Mill (2002), Weld County
Black Hawk (1998), Gilpin County Central Platoon School (2012), Morgan County
Glen Huntington Bandshell (2016), Boulder County Great Western Sugar Factory (2016), Adams County Hispanic Cultural Landscapes of the Purgatoire River Valley (1998), Las Animas County McLaughlin Building (2007), Pueblo County Mid-Century Resources of Littleton Boulevard (2014), Arapahoe County Montoya Ranch (2014), Huerfano County Reiling Gold Dredge (2015), Summit County Santa Fe Trail & Southeast Heritage Region (2007), Baca, Bent, Las Animas & Otero Counties Stranges Grocery (2001), Mesa County Tabor Opera House (2016), Gilpin County Union Pacific Pumphouse (2005), Cheyenne County Lizzy Knight’s Cabin (2012), Rural Dolores County Walsenburg Power Plant (2009), Huerfano County
LOST Christian Science Church (1998), Teller County Columbian Elementary School (2004), Bent County Currigan Exhibition Hall (2000), Denver County Given Institute (2011), Pitkin County Kit Carson Hotel (2003), Otero County Willowcroft Manor & Farm (2010), Arapahoe County
Colorado Preservation, Inc. gratefully acknowledges the following for their generous support of the Endangered Places Program in 2015. Sponsors:
2015 Donors: Argonaut Wine Aspen Skiing Company Linda Balough Bandimere Speedway Banshee Press Boulder Beer Breckenridge Heritage Alliance Brewers Association Butterfly Pavilion Car Share Jennifer Orrigo Charles Colorado Avalanche Colorado Chautauqua Association Colorado Railroad Museum Colorado Scenic and Historic Byways Colorado Symphony CorePower Yoga Dan Corson Creede Repertory Theatre Cumbres and Toltec Railroad Denver Art Museum Denver Botanic Gardens Denver Broncos Denver Center for Performing Arts Denver Museum of Nature and Science
Denver Zoo Roxanne Eflin Eldorado Springs Enstrom Candy Fairplay Hotel Fancy Tiger Crafts Paul Foster Georgetown Loop Railroad Glenwood Springs Adventure Park Rebecca Goodwin Grand Lake Area Historical Society Grand Lake Chamber of Commerce Elizabeth Hallas Hidee Gold Mine Michael Hirakata Historic Denver Historic Georgetown, Inc. Historic Routt County History Colorado Center Hotel Boulderado Hotel De Paris Hyatt Julie Johnson Kit Carson Carousel Jim Kroll Lake County Economic Development Let it Grow Nursery Dave Lively Lo-vedo
Loveland Ski Area Manitou & Pikes Peak Railway Manitou Springs Chamber of Commerce Manitou Springs Heritage Society Alan Matlosz Chris Miller Molly Brown House Museum Mountain Sun Pub Robert E. Musgraves Cindy Nasky Tom Nasky Bill Nelson Tom Noel National Preservation Institute Older Than Dirt Construction Pastures Of Plenty Peace of Mind Massage Silvia Pettem Pikes Peak County Attractions Pink Fog Powerhouse Science Center Prost Brewing Puzzah Queen City Salvage Redline Redstone Castle Regional Transportation District (RTD)
Rocky Mountain Railroad Heritage Society Dominick Sekich Arianthe Stettner South Park Museum SpyderCo Steelworks Center of the West Barbara Sternberg Teatulia The Kitchen The Lodge Casino The Montoya Ranch at Farisita The Ridge Castle Pines North The Vineyard Robin Theobald Linde Thompson Town of Black Hawk Town of La Veta Historical Committee Tread of Pioneers Museum Linda Trzyna Vintage Theatre Vogel Haus Vintage Watkins Stained Glass Studio Deon Wolfbarger Yampah Caves and Day Spa
FOR YOUR SUPPORT
Colorado Preservation, Inc. is a 501 (c) 3, and Coloradoâ€™s only statewide nonprofit grassroots preservation organization. 1420 Ogden Street, Suite 104 Denver, Colorado 80218 (303) 893-4260
ColoradoPreservation.org email@example.com #coloradopreservation
1420 Ogden Street · Suite 104 Denver, CO 80218 P 303.893.4260 x237 E firstname.lastname@example.org
BOARD OF DIRECTORS & STAFF Colorado Preservation, Inc. Board of Directors OFFICERS: Elizabeth Hallas–Chair, Golden Drew Notestine–Vice-Chair Eastern Slope, Greeley Ann Mullins–Vice-Chair Western Slope, Aspen Alan Matlosz–Treasurer, Denver Rebecca Goodwin–Chair Emeritus/Secretary, La Junta BOARD MEMBERS: Linda Balough, Fairplay Mike Coughlin, Denver Julie Johnson, Denver Jim Kroll, Denver Karl Kumli, Boulder Robert Musgraves, Denver
Bill Nelson, Denver Bentley Rayburn, Colorado Springs Dominick Sekich, Denver Robin Theobald, Breckenridge Jane Watkins, Denver
Colorado Preservation Staff Roxanne Eflin–Executive Director Jennifer Orrigo Charles–Endangered Places Program Director Cindy Nasky–Preservation Services Director Megan Concannon–Events, Development and Membership Manager Nancy Rogers–Bookkeeper
Delve into the stories of Colorado's Most Endangered Places for 2016. Four sites were selected that represent over 100 years of Colorado hi...
Published on Feb 24, 2016
Delve into the stories of Colorado's Most Endangered Places for 2016. Four sites were selected that represent over 100 years of Colorado hi...