indicate that several types of birds, and perhaps some insects, flutter around the flowers and perch in the top of the tree. Crowning this ramp, on a single block slightly offset, is a figure similar to the sculptures in the minor panels of the jambs and pilasters of the Upper Jaguar Temple (Seler 5:Figs. 110-119, Tozzer 1957:Fig. 336).
plane that effectively separates the lower and upper zones. The medial molding is essentially a decoration of the upper facade, dividing the upper zone in two parts, instead of forming the border between the upper and lower zones as it most commonly does. The six sculptured pillars supporting the vault broke the horizontal planes of the front facade. These pillars, and the entry spaces they define, alternating solids and cavities, form vertical planes against the horizontal lines of the upper zone and the plinth and wall below. The superb design of this simple temple illustrates the architectural quality artisans could achieve in the Modified Florescent period.
The South Ball Court Temple is a long portico or gallery built upon the end wall and the platform extension (Marquina 1964:865, Photo 437; Totten 1926:145). The outer facade rises vertically from a basal batter on three sides; neither antae nor batter extends across the front facade. A one-course apron molding caps the basal batter, which is approximately two meters high. Above this molding the facade is vertical and undecorated. Four courses below the medial molding, at the level of the top of the lintel, the facade is offset approximately eight centimeters, above which the facade again rises vertically. The medial molding is of three members, two beveled courses separated by a plain horizontal band. A part of the upper facade is visible on the east end of the south side. The facade here rises three courses, capped by two remaining members of a typical three member cornice.
Sculpture in low relief in the South Ball Court Temple occurs directly under the previous position of the lintels on the end walls, and on all four sides of each of the six columns of the front facade. The figures on the side walls are poorly preserved, but some details of the design survive. On both walls craftsmen carved a central figure above a smaller reclining individual in a spotted robe, probably similar to the figures from the base of the columns of the North Temple (Breton 1917:Fig. 2). On the west wall, this reclining figure, facing south, is the base from which vegetal motifs spring. The major figure above stands facing south, into the temple. He holds a spear in his right hand and what may be a flexible shield in his left. A six-row bead pectoral graces the chest. The major figure on the east end wall seems to hold darts in his left hand. The torso and portion of the sculpture at chest level in front of the figure are missing.
The South Ball Court Temple presents an interesting profile. The middle and upper moldings, narrowly separated by only three plain vertical members, could leave an awkward amount of vertical space below. This is not the case, because the offset at the level of the top of the lintel created a horizontal