NEWS: HHS Cuts UChicago Grants for HIV, COVID Research
APRIL 16, 2025 FOURTH WEEK VOL. 137, ISSUE 13
PAGE 4
State Department Cancels Student Visas for Seven UChicago Students and Alums By ISAIAH GLICK | Senior News Reporter Seven individuals affiliated with the University of Chicago—three current students and four recent graduates in the U.S. under the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program—were informed on the afternoon of April 9 that their F-1 visas under the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) had been revoked by the federal government. According to an email from Division of the Arts & Humanities Dean of Students Shea Wolfe reviewed by the Maroon, there is no specific cause known for the revocations aside from “unlawful activity,” but they were not clearly connected to pro-Palestine activities or statements. The affected individuals became aware of this change only after the University’s Office of International Affairs (OIA) conducted an audit of their records of students on visas; the students were not notified by the U.S. government when the visas were terminated. Currently, the students and graduates are in the U.S. illegally and are
at risk of being deported, but OIA has indicated that they can either speak with an immigration attorney or leave of their own volition. On April 7, international students at the University received an email from Nick Seamons, the executive director of OIA, stating that OIA will contact international students directly if their SEVIS status is revoked and that they should reach out if they are informed of a termination by the Departments of State or Homeland Security. Previously, OIA had issued updated guidance to international students and faculty members regarding travel outside of the U.S., informing them that they should take caution when traveling outside of the U.S. and to reconsider nonessential travel. “Re-entry is not a guarantee [for noncitizens] and [is] at the discretion of the U.S. government,” OIA wrote. Additionally, OIA urged students to be aware of scammers who might use the threat of deportation to demand money.
“The U.S. government will not call you asking for money in connection with your visa or status. If you receive such a call, please hang up immediately and do not provide any personal information.” When asked for a statement, the U.S. Department of State referred the Maroon to an April 8 press briefing, where Department Spokesperson Tammy Bruce declined to share any information on why the department had terminated the visas of at least 300 international students nationwide. “We don’t go into the rationale for what happens with individual visas. What we can tell you is that the department revokes visas every day in order to secure our borders and to keep our community safe, and we’ll continue to do so,” Bruce said. In a statement, the University told the Maroon it was “committed to continued deep engagement and active exchange with international students, scholars, and visitors. The University has a long history of supporting America’s position as a magnet for talented people from across the globe,
and we will continue to work to assist the members of our international community.” The University also said that “OIA has offered to connect the affected individuals with immigration attorneys.” UChicago Faculty Forward, the union representing non-tenure-track faculty, issued a statement criticizing the visa revocations. “These visa revocations are just the latest in a series of authoritarian, unconstitutional, and unconscionable moves by the Trump White House to target and harass international students and immigrants, colleges and universities, people exercising their rights to freedom of speech, and other groups this administration claims are its enemies,” the statement read. Faculty Forward urged the University to provide support for affected students, including legal advice and assistance from OIA, along with mounting “a forceful public stand against these authoritarian and chilling actions by the federal government.” CONTINUED ON PG. 2
UChicago Trustee Joins DOGE, Targets Social Security By ZACHARY LEITER | Senior News Reporter UChicago Trustee Antonio Gracias (J.D. ’98) is working at the Social Security Administration (SSA) as a representative of the Trump administration’s Department of Government Efficiency Service (DOGE), per the New York Times. Gracias is a close friend of Elon Musk, the Tesla and SpaceX executive who now
NEWS: University Introduces New Major in Climate and Sustainable Growth PAGE 5
serves as a senior advisor to President Donald Trump and a special government employee. Gracias campaigned with Musk in Wisconsin on March 30 at a major rally for Republican state supreme court candidate Brad Schimel. At the rally, Gracias delivered a presentation on what he called “tremendous
GREY CITY: Reworking A Decades-Old Disciplinary System PAGE 12
fraud” at SSA, which provides retirement and disability benefits to almost 69 million Americans and accounted for 21 percent of the federal budget in 2024. Gracias is currently serving his first five-year term on the University of Chicago Board of Trustees, which he joined in 2021. He also serves on the board of UChicago’s Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering.
VIEWPOINTS: AI Professor
Gracias serves as a director at SpaceX and previously served as a director at Tesla from 2007 to 2021. Valor Equity Partners—where Gracias is the founder and CEO—invests in both companies, and much of Gracias’s $2.2 billion personal net worth is held in Tesla stock. “I have worked closely with Elon for over 20 years,” Gracias wrote on X on CONTINUED ON PG. 3
ARTS: Maroon Musings
PAGE 18
Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/chicagomaroon and follow @chicagomaroon on Instagram and X to get the latest updates on campus news.
PAGE 26 chicagomaroon.com