Page 1




6 8 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 21 22 24 26 28 32 35 37 38 41 46 47 49 50


Dear CEMS student,

The following CEMS Internship Guide has been prepared for your convenience. It is meant to provide you with practical information regarding both the administrative support available from CEMS member universities and the legal framework that applies in the respective country.

Please note that the ultimate responsibility for acquiring an internship lies with you, whereas the final approval for the MIM Programme is confirmed by your home institution.

Please also remember to hand in the completed CEMS Internship Evaluation Form (see copy at the end of this document – downloadable version to be found in the online library), duly signed and stamped by your company tutor to your home institution no later than 15th October of the year when you wish to graduate from CEMS.

Many thanks

Roland Siegers CEMS MIM Programme Manager

INFORMATION CATEGORIES Below are the standard categories of questions on which you will find information for the country or countries that interest you. In certain cases (and depending upon legalisation in the country concerned), additional information has been supplied.

1. School support: How does your school support incoming students in looking for an internship?

2. Contact: Who can incoming CEMS students contact at your school if they are looking for an internship in your country?

3. Legislation: What are the legislative conditions for a student to secure an internship in your country? (Please specify the Legislation for EU citizens and those of Norway and Switzerland and any additional conditions applied to non-EU citizens)

4. Further information: If you know of a specific website or organisation where further information can be obtained, please give the link/name

5. Requested documents: What documents does a foreign student have to provide to the authorities/company?

6. Company support: In what way do companies support the hiring of foreign students?

7. For graduates: Can a person receive an internship in your country if he/she has graduated from his/her home school (and thus no longer has student status)?

AUSTRALIA – UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY School support: The CEMS Office can provide support with looking for internships in the following ways: •

By liaising with appropriate university departments who may have access to internship opportunities










communicating these opportunities to CEMS students. Many of these opportunities are advertised by companies on University of Sydney websites, student portals and through e-newsletters, which are accessible to all students; •

By providing contact details, as appropriate in assistance to individual student requests, of any relevant contacts already established in industry by the CEMS Office, for example CEMS Corporate Partners operating in Australia;

By providing links to online university publications relating to CV building skills, interview techniques etc.

Please note: visa regulations dictate the ability of students to undertake full-time work as an international in Australia. The CEMS Office is currently enquiring as to the eligibility of international students (with a current student visa) to partake in a 10-week internship.

Contact: Justine Green - Programme Coordinator Master of Management / CEMS MIM CEMS Corporate Coordinator -

Legislation: Legislative conditions for international students wishing to secure an internship in Australia relate directly to the above statement concerning international student visas. In addition to this the Australian Government has different policies for each country within and outside of the EU. Therefore, country-specific information should be acquired from the DIAC website at

International student visas: The Australian Government, Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) have extremely complex rules and regulations relating to international student visas which are subject to frequent legislative changes. Visa policy also varies dependent upon the applicant’s country of citizenship or permanent residency.


For these reasons (and in line with university practice) the CEMS Office at the University of Sydney does not provide written guidance in relation to visas. Students are, however, directed to the relevant DIAC website where the most up-to-date information and legislation can be viewed.

It is the responsibility of the incoming student to contact DIAC directly (either in person, via telephone or the internet) to research visa options and lodge applications on an individual basis. The CEMS Office at the University of Sydney can provide assistance in interpreting government policy if required.

Further information: Australian Government, Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC)

Requested documents: Commencing with the first intake of students, the CEMS Office will be collating information on an ongoing basis with regards to company’s requirements for documentation. All internationals wishing to work in Australia must have a valid visa (permitting them to work).

Company support: The recruitment activity of Australian companies, regarding offering international student internships, varies from company to company. Factors include company size, core business requirements at the time and their ability / willingness to work within the complex legal framework relating to the hiring of non-Australian residents.

Prior to application for an internship it is strongly advised that students contact the relevant department within the company that they wish to approach in order to determine whether the company offers placement opportunities to international students.

For graduates: The Australian Government upholds very strict rules and regulations with regards to permitting internationals to work in Australia. Graduates not covered by a student visa are required to apply for the appropriate visa which would permit their proposed working commitments within Australia.


AUSTRIA - WIRTSCHAFTSUNIVERSITAT WIEN School support: WU Wien offers different opportunities for incoming students in order to find an internship in Austria. Company presentations, workshops a othder corporate activities are regularly held at the school. The ZBP Graduate Fair (November each year) is the largest recruiting Fair in Austria.

Contact: If personal help and advice is required, please contact the CEMS Corporate Relations Coordinator: Mag. Christian Fromm - Legislation - Entry and residence regulations: Nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland who fulfil the requirements of sufficient financial means and of valid health insurance do not need a visa and they enjoy freedom of domicile (Niederlassungsfreiheit). For entry into Austria and residence they only need a valid travel document (passport or identity card).

If someone stays in Austria for longer than 3 months he/she has to register with the relevant municipal authority (Magistrat, Bezirkshauptmannschaft) within the first 3 months of the stay and he/she will receive a confirmation of registration (EUR 15.00 fee).

Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries (so-called "third-country nationals") need an entry or residence permit for entry into and residence in Austria. The type of permit depends on the length and purpose of the stay. Students from third countries need, provided that they stay for no longer than 6 months, either

• a travel visa C (Reisevisum C) for entry into and residence in Austria for a stay of a maximum of 90 days (except students who are allowed to enter Austria without a visa); • a residence visa D (Aufenthaltsvisum D) for entry into and residence in Austria for a stay of at least 91 days and a maximum of 6 months. Visas have to be applied for personally at the relevant Austrian representation authority (embassy, consulate-general) before leaving for Austria and it will be issued by this authority. Visas cannot be renewed in Austria.


Working in Austria:

The possibility for foreign students to take up gainful employment in Austria depends on their nationality, the kind of employment and - for third country nationals - on the type of this title:

• Nationals of Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Great Britain, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Spain, Cyprus or Switzerland are allowed to work in Austria without any further permit (e.g. work permit) being required;

• Nationals of Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia, however, still need a work permit because of transitional arrangements (except for employment, which is not subject to the regulations of the Austrian Act Governing Employment of Foreign Nationals);

• Students from all other countries (third countries) who are in possession of a valid residence permit for study purposes (Aufenthaltsbewilligung "Studierender") are allowed to work to a limited extent and by respecting the regulations of the Austrian Act Governing Employment of Foreign Nationals (Ausländerbeschäftigungsgesetz - AuslBG) which, as a rule, require a work permit. Students must pay close attention to the following regulations since violation of these regulations may lead to severe fines and to the imposition of a ban on residence! In case of any doubt students can enquire at the employment office (Arbeitsmarktservice/AMS) or at an advisory organisation before taking up a job.

There are two different types of employment to be distinguished, but both may not affect the study progress (the studies have to be the primary purpose of staying in Austria):

1. Employment with employment-contract (unselbständige Erwerbstätigkeit)

1a. temporary employees (befristet beschäftigte Fremde) for a maximum duration of three months per calendar year (primarily in tourism and agricultural and forestry enterprises). The pre-requisite for this type of employment is a work permit which has to be applied for by the


employer at the employment office (Arbeitsmarktservice/AMS) in advance. In this case the duration of the employment is limited (maximum of 3 months) but not the amount student may earn.

1b. minimum income worker limited to an income of EUR 357.47 per month (status of 2009). The prerequisite for this type of employment is also a work permit, which has to be applied for by the employer at the employment office (Arbeitsmarktservice/AMS) in advance. In this case the amount the student may earn is limited but not the duration of the employment. ad 1a. +1b. Please note that work permits are only granted in a limited number in consideration of the Austrian labour market and if the job cannot be filled by a jobless Austrian or integrated foreign worker.

1c. special cases e.g. unpaid trainees (Volontäre) or vocational internships (Berufspraktika). Unpaid trainees are persons who are employed for up to three months per calendar year exclusively for the purpose of acquiring practical knowledge and skills without commitment to work and without any right to remuneration. A vocational internship is an employment (practical training) which is required by the study plan of an Austrian educational institution with public status. In both cases no work permit is required but the employer has to notify the employment









(Abgabenbehörde) at least 2 weeks before the beginning of the employment.

2. Self-employment (selbständige Erwerbstätigkeit) May be based on a contract for work and labour (Werkvertrag). No work permit is necessary for this type of work. Please pay attention to legal regulations on social insurance, taxation and trade law. Please note the difference between an employment contract (Dienstvertrag) and a contract for work and labour (Werkvertrag) (not the name of the contract is relevant but the type of work that is actually carried out):

• An employment contract obliges someone to personal repeated and regular presence and work in a fixed place of work (e.g. Monday to Thursday, 9:00 to 12:00 on the premises of X


company in Vienna) and you have to strictly follow the instructions of the employer. You are integrated into the organisation of your employer. You are paid according to the hours you work. Your employer is obliged to report your employment to National Insurance for the duration of your employment and to deduct the appropriate taxes from your salary.

• In the case of a contract for work and labour you only owe your employer the supply of a specified service/result (e.g. addressing of 1000 envelopes); in carrying out this job you are not bound to fixed working hours and/or a fixed place of work (this means that you can carry out the work for example at your home) or even have it carried out by somebody else. You are only paid for the tasks/for the result you accomplish. With a contract for work and labour you will – being self-employed – not be insured with National Insurance by your employer nor will he/she deduct taxes. Of both these things you have to take care yourself.

Please note: Since it is often difficult to determine whether a work contract is an employment contract (Dienstvertrag) or a contract for work and labour (Werkvertrag), this, however, being crucial to whether you need a work permit or not, please make sure to enquire at the Chamber of Labour, the employment office or an advice institution before taking up a job.

Further information: Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research: National Employment Institute

Ministry of Labour and social affairs

WU / University Career Center

ZBP Graduate Fair

Requested documents: For nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland: valid identification card or passport, proof of a health insurance policy covering all the necessary costs (e.g. European Health Insurance Card), confirmation of admission by the university. Students from all other countries (third countries): Visa, valid identification card or passport, proof of a health insurance covering all the necessary costs, confirmation of admission by the university.


BELGIUM - LOUVAIN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT School support: LSM has an "employment room" where all offers are classified in maps, and from where e-mails are sent to CEMS students with internships offers from their CEMS Corporate Partners. The school offers a personal appointment on demand and they have a website to help students to find an internship. A constraint can be for foreign students that companies request knowledge of French or Dutch.

Contact: Nancy Guillaume (International affairs and CEMS Coordinator) Sophie Neu (Corporate Relations) or Sandra Gilet (CEMS Corporate Affairs Assistant)


For EU citizens (including Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) students have the same rights and obligations as Belgian students, even if they are not taking courses in Belgium or living in Belgium. New EU members are not yet subject to these conditions, meaning that students must classes in Belgium and need a residence permit. Foreign students arriving during summer vacation are not allowed to work because they haven't yet taken the required classes.

Further information: Required information: Students have to be registered at Louvain as student, must have a valid passport or ID Card and a proof of health insurance. Please see the link:

Company support: It depends on the company‌ Some can offer payment, possibilities of future job etc. For graduates: Graduates can do internships in Belgium as well but there are quite few proposals.


BRAZIL - FUNDAÇAO GETULIO VARGAS – EAESP School support: FGV-EAESP Placement Office helps students in finding an internship. It also provides individual orientation to incoming students, including company contacts, CVs, etc. It is important to note that in Brazil internships are perceived as a first step to a full-time job. For instance, an intern works 4, 5 or 6 hours per day for a period of 6 up to 18 months.

Contact: Incoming students may contact FGV-EAESP Placement Office: Cecilia Noronha – and Christiane Nagayassu –

Legislation: National and foreign students can apply for an internship as long as they are regular students at a Brazilian institution, such as FGV-EAESP. For this purpose, international students are required to present a student visa and the status of a regular student. It must be noted that students interested in carrying out an internship in Brazil will have to spend an extra semester in addition to the MIM semester.

Documents required: valid identification card or passport, proof of a health insurance policy covering all the necessary costs and confirmation of admission by the university. Once the student and company agree on the internship, FGV-EAESP provides the necessary documents plus the internship contract, which has to be signed by the three parties: student, FGV-EAESP and company representative. This contract is only valid during the time the student is regularly attending FGV.

Company support: FGV-EAESP counts on the support of CEMS corporate partners through its subsidiaries in Brazil.

For graduates: Graduates who have no student status any more cannot do an internship in Brazil.


CZECH REPUBLIC UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS, PRAGUE School support: Students are informed regularly by e-mail about possibilities: offers from Corporate Partners, from Alumni and job agencies are forwarded to students.

Contact: If incoming students are interested in a particular company they can contact Corporate Relations Coordinator – Mgr. Tereza Francova -

Legislation: Interested students will receive the necessary information from the company.

For graduates: Generally the easiest way to get an internship in the Czech Republic is to have “Student” status.


DENMARK – COPENHAGEN BUSINESS SCHOOL School support: At CBS the Career Centre can help students in looking for an internship, but it may be difficult to place foreign students without Danish language skills. Another potential problem is that there is really no tradition in the Danish business community for internships; instead, companies employ students as part-time workers or cooperate through study-based projects. Vacant internships are mostly presented at a Job forum on the internal CBS home pages, called e-campus.

Contact: Students are always welcome to contact the CBS Career Centre:

Legislation: There are no problems for EU and Ă˜SS citizens concerning Danish employment laws. The most important point is that the company insures the student during the stay in the company.

Further information: There are no official sites dedicated to vacant internships in Denmark.

Requested documents: Residence and work permit, proof of study at CBS, up-to-date CV. For graduates: A person can get an internship even after graduation from the home school.


FINLAND – HELSINKI SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS School support: HSE career services support the CEMS student in finding an internship in many different ways; organising company presentations, arranging an annual Careers Fair and running several workshops on finding employment in Finland. HSE Career Services (CSC) provides individual assistance upon request to CEMS students. HSE CSC also has a very effective electronic job board for all advertisements outside the CEMS platform. CSC has also compiled useful job hunting information available at the student intranet.

Contact: Leena Plym-Rissanen, Head of Career Services - Legislation/Further information/Requested documents: Information about the legislative conditions for receiving an internship in Finland can be obtained from the website of the Finnish Immigration Office: Legally and technically the Finnish authorities commonly consider internships as employment (therefore the web pages talk only about “employment”). If the student gets paid, a working contract is signed between the student and the company. Some companies in Finland do take non-paid interns but in that case the school, company and student sign the contract. The school is then responsible for insuring the student and for other practical matters concerning the work. The student also gets study allowance (since the work is an obligatory part of the degree) while doing the internship. HSE does not sign such contracts. Company support: In general terms, companies consider CEMS internships like any other “summer employment” or “summer traineeships”. They select the students who fit their criteria and pay the salary according to their own practice. HSE has previously asked all CEMS partners about offering CEMS internship to students. They refer to summer trainee programmes as a solution. For graduates: A person can get an internship in Finland even after graduating from the home university if she/he meets the qualifications as set by the company.


FRANCE - HEC, PARIS School support: The HEC Career Services offer the following possibilities to incoming students as assistance in finding an internship: company presentations dedicated to internships, recruitment fairs, workshops on “how to find an internship”, individual appointments.

Contact: CEMS Corporate Relations Coordinator: Valerie Leroy - Legislation: In France, it is compulsory to sign a specific contract called a “convention de stage”. This legal contract (signed by the company, the student and the university) only concerns students who have already studied at least 3 months in HEC Paris (even if they have graduated from their home school). It is illegal to sign such a contract before the beginning of the programme. The contract has to be signed no more than 1 month after the end of the courses at HEC. In addition, a convention de stage with HEC is legal if: •

the internship is a full-time employment;

it lasts at least 6 consecutive weeks and it must end latest on 30 September.

This legislation concerns all HEC students (EU citizens or non-EU citizens)

Further information: The document the student has to provide to the company is given to the student during his/her stay at HEC by the Careers Office.

Company support: Many French and international companies based in France hire foreign students.

For graduates: French companies employ graduates also for internships, but only if the ‘convention de stage’ is signed.


GERMANY - UNIVERSITY OF COLOGNE School support: If students are interested in applying for internships, the school will advise them on their applications, as standard German job applications require a number of supporting documents in addition to a covering letter and CV, see below:

The school also supports students with links on the UoC website to internship and job offers.

A lot of internship and job offers are placed on the blackboards in the hall of the Faculty’s Centre for International Relations.

The certificate of enrolment is signed by the Registrar Office "Studiensekretariat" at UoC. The CEMS Office also advises students how to apply to the Bundesagentur für Arbeit , Zentrale Auslands-und Fachvermittlung (ZAV) (German Federal Employment Agency- Central Foreign and Specialist Placements) for an internship and give help in all related matters.

Contact: CEMS Corporate Relations Coordinators: Christa Leenen-Poser Christoph Sonnenschein

Legislation: Applicants have to be at least 18 and not more than 35 years old. They have to be registered at a university or third-level institute of applied sciences. Students must study full time. If part-time, then studies must represent more than 50% of the student’s time. They should be registered for at least their fourth semester/second year of study. Internships may last up to 12 months. Several internships of e.g. three months each time are also permitted up to a total of 12 months throughout the student’s studies.

Citizens of the following European countries or persons with dual German citizenship do not require any further permits or a visa to enter Germany: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark,


Finland, France, Greece, Great Britain, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

All other applicants need the written consent of the Federal Employment Agency to take up employment or an internship (even if unpaid) before they can apply for a visa and/or residence permit. If students have found an internship or job themselves, then their future employer must apply for this written consent (even if the internship is unpaid). Students can also apply directly to the Federal Employment Agency for internships.

The citizens of the following countries do not need a visa to enter Germany and may apply for a residence permit for the duration of the internship upon arrival: Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America.

All others must apply for a visa for Germany once they have the written consent from the Federal Employment Agency. Please allow enough time for both processes! All interns must register with their local authorities as residents after arrival in Germany. Interns need health insurance and accident insurance.

Fully enrolled (non-exchange) students from non-EU countries may work for a period of 90 full days (or 180 half days) a year on their student visa. Internships and work experience are also counted as working days, even if these are unpaid. Each day of internship will therefore be deducted from the 90 days in which you are permitted to work. If you have already worked for 90 days in the respective year, permission to undertake the internship will be required from the Ausländerbehörde and the Agentur für Arbeit. This is not required if the internship is an obligatory part of your studies.

Further information: See the downloads available here: Unternehmen >Arbeitskräftebedarf > Beschäftigung > Ausländer > Studenten/Praktikanten

Information for foreign students wishing to undertake a student internship in Germany:


Application form:

Requested documents: An application form and a passport photo; an original and current certificate/proof of enrolment at a university (with the first name, family name, date of birth of the students, type of degree- full-time, part-time, distance learning, degree course/subject, date of start of studies, exact date of the expected graduation, full name and address of the university, with an original signature and original stamp of the third-level institute). A copy of the passport or national ID card; a current certificate of achievement from their university (current transcript or intermediate certificate).

These must all be submitted as original documents to the Federal Employment Agency when applying for the written consent to take up employment. German and English originals are accepted. Documents in another language must be accompanied by certified translations.

Standard German job applications require a number of supporting documents in addition to a covering letter and CV:

Company support: When a company decides to offer a foreign student and internship they must apply for the written consent of the Federal Employment Agency. In addition to the documents listed above, the company must submit a completed application form, an internship plan showing the relevance of the internship for the student’s studies, a copy of the student’s passport, proof that the students can support themselves financially (if the internship is not paid or paid less than 585 Euros per month) and information on the company itself. This must be done at least 6 weeks before the intended start of the internship.

For graduates: A graduate also can get an internship in Germany if the internship can be shown to be relevant to the graduate’s further professional education.


HUNGARY - CORVINUS UNIVERSITY OF BUDAPEST School support: Corvinus offers different opportunities for incoming students in order to find an internship in Hungary, such as: KEXPO (jobfair at Corvinus), company presentations, CEMS Rotation Dinners and Skill seminars organised by companies.

Contact: CEMS Corporate Relations Coordinator: Zsuzsa Krista – Legislation: EU citizens must have a residence permit. Students should register at the National Health Insurance Fund (Tarsadalombiztositasi Alap) and the State Tax Authority (APEH) Non-EU citizens: students should have a student visa and a work permit - on top of all the above mentioned.

Further information: Living and Working in Hungary: Working conditions in Hungary for EU citizens cessing=1&content=1&restrictions=1&step=2

Requested documents: Students must provide the authorities with a student visa (if applicable), residence permit, registration number of the National Health Insurance Fund (Tarsadalombiztositas) and the State Tax Authority (APEH) of Hungary.

Company support: Companies with a multinational working environment - where the working language is generally English - prefer to have foreign students as interns. However, many of the companies have the possibility of hiring foreign students with some Hungarian knowledge only.

For graduates: Graduates cannot have internships in Hungary as they could only work with a valid work permit doing a permanent job.


IRELAND – MICHAEL SMURFIT SCHOOL OF BUSINESS, UCD School Support: The UCD Careers Development Centre has a dedicated link to ‘Vacation work/Internships in Ireland’ which is updated on a regular basis and gives details of all internships available:

All students in the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business have access to the University Careers Development Centre: The Careers Development Centre also has a regular newsletter which students can access. Recruitment Fairs are held in the University during the academic year and a postgraduate Careers fair is held in the RDS in Dublin every spring.

Contact: In the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business students have on-hand access to the Careers Centre which is based in the School. Staff at the Careers Centre are happy to discuss any aspect of the careers service in more detail. For further information on interview techniques, job search strategies and CV writing, please contact: Niall Driver Careers Advisor Telephone: +353 1 716 8086 Email: For general queries and recruiter information, please contact: +353 1 716 8070

The Careers Centre at UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School seeks to assist and encourage students to hone their job-seeking skills and achieve their ambitions. They provide services such as advice on interview preparation, CV writing, psychometric testing and general job search strategy. They have numerous files on industries, job functions and specific companies, as well as guides on career planning and careers-related subjects. The careers office newsletter, containing up-to-date information on company recruiting activity, is published 5-6 times a year. Copies are available in the careers office and online at The careers advisors are available Monday to Friday and are happy to discuss any aspect of students’ career development.

Legislation: International students engaged in full-time study of at least one year’s duration (on a course leading to a qualification which is recognised by the Irish Department of Education


& Science) currently do not need a work permit to work in Ireland. This, however, is likely to change.

EU/EEA Nationals: EU/EEA nationals have the same entitlement to take up employment as that of an Irish person with the exception of Bulgarian and Romanian citizens, who need work permits.

NON-EU/EEA Students: Non-EU/EEA students who meet the above criteria are entitled to work 20 hours per week and up to 40 hours per week during the university holidays.

The entitlement to take up

employment ceases once your student visa runs out. Following completion of your studies, if you wish to continue in employment, you will require a work permit to do so. Although you may be entitled to work up to 20 hours per week you should not rely on having to work while you are in Ireland. You are also required by the Garda National Immigration Bureau to show that you have enough money when entering Ireland to fund yourself for the academic year. Graduates of UCD are eligible to remain in Ireland for up to 6 months after the successful completion of their degree for the purpose of seeking employment. Graduates can work up to 40 hours per week during the 6 months after they have received their results.

Further information: UCD International Office, Tierney (Administration) Building, UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland. Tel: +353 1 716 1701/1398/1661

Fax: +353 1 716 1165


Other useful contacts are as follows: Irish Council for International Students (ICOS) 41 Morehampton Road, Dublin 4, Ireland. Tel: +353 1 660 5233 Email:

Fax:+353 1 668 2320


Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment


ITALY - UNIVERSITA LUIGI BOCCONI School support: At Bocconi University home and incoming CEMS students can find internships through the same channels: Internship and placement ads and resources posted on our website The University's career fair “Bocconi&Jobs” takes place twice a year in November and April, plus on-campus company presentations, Drop-in sessions, Erasmus Student Placement, an Arts and Culture International Programme and other recruiting events

Contact: CEMS Corporate Relations Coordinator Rachele Raineri ( Legislation: Internships in Italy are regulated by existing laws (law no. 196, article 18 of 24th June 1997, and the related decree no. 142, introduced on 25th

March 1998) and by the

university itself. In all cases, a covenant must be signed between the company and the university



internship document between the company, the university and the student. Non EU in-coming students are allowed to do an internship in Italy during their stay as long as they are student visa holders. Once their student visa expires they have to obtain a working visa autonomously. EU students can do an internship in Italy at any time. Bocconi University supports incoming CEMS students in formalising their internship during their stay at Bocconi and for the following 12 months.

Further information:

Requested documents: Italian laws require the stipulation – before the beginning of the internship – of a covenant and an internship document which lays out the duration, aims and contents of each internship carried out at the company. Through its Career Service Internship Office the university supports this procedure and internships are not considered valid without these documents.


Those documents are also mandatory for acquiring the insurance coverage from Bocconi which is necessary in order to do an internship in Italy.

Before the start of the internship students must ask the Internship Office for the documentation required by regulations (covenant, internship document and end-of-internship forms). The students must take the documentation to the employer.

Upon completion of the internship students must present the Internship Office with the end-ofinternship forms: final evaluation, final report and internship completion certificate, plus CEMS evaluation form.

Company support: Companies usually provide foreign students with the same benefits that they give to the Italians. Italian law does not regulate the internship payment: it is up to the company to pay or not a salary to the intern. Every company has its own policy regarding the working visa.

For graduates: Graduates can do an internship in Italy within 18 months of graduation. Bocconi University supports graduate students who have studied in Bocconi in formalising postgraduation internships that last max 12 months. In that case, the company can sign the documents provided by the home university or can pay an











service: ) or use a public organisation. The procedure is fairly simple, especially if the student is an EU citizen.


MEXICO - TEC DE MONTERREY, EGADE School support: Exchange students looking for an Internship usually have to send their internship application to the CEMS Coordinator at EGADE, who then assigns the applications to the Internship Coordinator at EGADE. Once the application is received, the Internship Coordinator begins promotion within companies to see if someone is interested in his/her profile. The Internship Coordination at EGADE assures promotion between the student profile and companies but it cannot guarantee that the internship will be obtained by the student. The student may receive a transportation stipend provided by the company during the time of the internship. In these cases, each company will determine the amount. Other benefits can be granted by the company if considered proper, as long as they comply with Mexican legislation. EGADE will not give any kind of compensation to the student, and is not responsible for any compensation given by the Company. Food, accommodation and travel expenses are to be borne by the trainee.

EGADE would support a person in his/her Internship search if he/she is an active student of EGADE (enrolled on a minimum of one course).

Contact: Incoming students may contact the CEMS Coordinator at EGADE, Melissa Saucedo They must contact her at least 3 months before starting the internship and fill out the internship application form attaching the CV along with a letter of intention listing the reasons why he/she would like to carry out an Internship in Mexico. After that, the student could have an interview with the Internship Coordinator to talk about details of his/her profile and specific interests.

Legislation: Students must have the FM3-Visa (student visa). Also they would need to be enrolled on a course at EGADE, in order to get institutional support when they have found an Internship. If the student is not enrolled in the institution, EGADE can only put him/her in contact with other CEMS Corporate Partners at CEMS in order for him/her to explore opportunities.

Further information: National Migratory Institute


Requested documents: Once the student secures an internship, he/she must sign an agreement of confidentiality supported by EGADE which is delivered to the company. The company may ask him/her to fill out a report periodically (per month, by the end of the Internship, etc.) Further information regarding these documents cannot be provided since it depends on each company’s policies.

Company support: The decision to incorporate foreign students depends solely on the company, its available projects and policies. If they are willing to incorporate one of them, they have the support of certain chambers (CAINTRA, Coparmex) in order to manage the interns in terms of hiring, payment (for the case of paid internships) and regulations with the National Migratory Institute.

For graduates: The only way that EGADE could support a person in his/her Internship search is to be an active student of EGADE (enrolled on a course).


NORWAY - NORWEGIAN SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS School Support: Internship offers are published on an electronic display board at NHH. In addition the Business Committee at NHH regularly distributes a Newsletter by e-mail to all students who register for it. The Newsletter contains information on vacant internship offers, permanent jobs and information on company stands and company presentations which take place on the campus. Every week different companies go to NHH to make presentations. Most are given in Norwegian, but some are also in English.

Contact: Business Committee at NHH: Legislation: Norwegian authorities have made it easier for skilled foreign workers to work in Norway. Norway is a country with a low unemployment rate, high salaries and good working conditions. Work migrants have education, work experience and other abilities that are attractive to Norwegian employers. Most foreign workers need a permit to work in Norway. As a general rule, everyone who wishes to work in Norway must have a work permit.

Please note that separate rules apply for citizens covered by the EU/EEA/EFTA regulations.

EU Citizens, citizens covered by the European Economic Area (EEA) agreement and citizens covered by the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) convention have easier access to travel and reside in Norway. EU/EEA/EFTA citizens can freely travel to Norway and start working as soon as they arrive. They can live and work in Norway for up to three months without having to apply for a permit. If they are seeking employment in Norway, they may reside in Norway for six months without a permit.

Note, however, that transitional rules apply to citizens of the following countries: Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, the Slovak Republic and Slovenia. There are strict requirements regarding the type of work, but they can start working immediately after they have submitted an application. This, however, assumes that the application is accurately completed and all the requested documents are enclosed. They can


still stay in Norway for up to three 3 months or for the 6 months during which they are looking for employment.

Further information: Norwegian Directorate of Immigration: Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service

Requested documents: Residence permits: Contact the local police office, or the Service Centre for Foreign Workers in Oslo, to apply. A valid passport and/or ID-card, a passport photo and the working contract will be needed.

Special rules apply for nationals from new EEA-member countries (Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania). You may start working as soon as you have submitted an accurately completed application with all the necessary documents enclosed, if the requirements for full-time work and salary are in accordance with relevant collective agreements, or are otherwise normal for your region and occupation. Check with the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration ( for more information about how to apply and for actual forms. Students from a Nordic country do not need a residence permit

Tax card and national ID-number Those working for a Norwegian employer are required to pay tax in Norway. Therefore students will also need to apply for a tax deduction card at the tax assessment office where they live. To do so they will need to present their passport, as well as complete an application form ("Skjema RF-1209"). Also they need a valid residence permit if they have one. Once a tax deduction card has been issued, it should be given to the employer.


Together with the Tax card students will also apply for a national ID-number or D-number (for persons residing in Norway 6 months or less). The national ID-number or D-number is stated on the tax deduction card and is used to identify the person to the authorities. If you will be staying in Norway for more than 6 months, you will need to report a change of address at your local tax office. If you are in Oslo, you might apply for both the tax card and the ID- or D-number as well as report the change of address to The National Population Registry at the Service Centre for Foreign Workers.

Bank In order to receive the salary, students need to open a Norwegian bank account. Note that most banks will require an ID number or D number as well as the valid passport as identification and the working contract.

National Insurance As a rule all persons working in Norway are automatically insured under the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme from their first day of work. This is administered by the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV). All employees are obliged to pay a national insurance contribution. This amounts to 7.8 per cent of your wages, and is deducted together with tax withholdings. If you do not pay tax to Norway, the national insurance contribution is to be paid to your local NAV office. As a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme you will be entitled to benefits according to the Norwegian national insurance legislation. If, for example, you need to see a doctor, you are entitled to use the Norwegian health services in the same way as residents of Norway. If you wish to apply for a Norwegian Health Insurance Card, or need information on health services, please contact the NAV Health Service Administration Service Centre.

There are many things to consider and necessary preparations to make before moving to Norway. Here is a short checklist: - Bring your passport/valid ID card, educational transcripts/diplomas and references from former employers.


- Contact EURES-advisers in your home country for information about living and working in another country: - Contact the tax assessment office and the welfare office in your country to make sure that you have the necessary forms regarding taxes and benefits, and that you may bring with you any unemployment benefits you are entitled to. - Looking for work in Norway can be very expensive, given the high cost of living and the fact that it may take some time before you find the right job. The best thing would be to find a job before arriving. If you already have contacts in Norway, use them to get information about job seeking.

Company support: Many employers require at least some Norwegian language skills. In some sectors a good command of English will be sufficient. Check out possibilities for language training in your own country before moving.

For graduates: please refer to “Legislation�


POLAND - WARSAW SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS School support: Internship offers are posted on the several web pages and notice boards in the school,







ERASMUS scholarship for internships: All students (from Erasmus participating countries) who intend to take an internship abroad that lasts at least 3 months may apply for an Erasmus scholarship.

Contacts: CEMS CRC- Joanna Obiegałka - for Erasmus Scholarships and Internships: Ms. Małgorzata Chromy and Ms. Olga Ścigała - Career Placement Office: Anna Matysiak -

Legislation: As a general rule, in order to perform work in Poland legally, foreign nationals should have a work permit issued by the relevant regional governor or ‘voivode’ (wojewoda) in relation to the employer’s headquarters. There are several categories of foreign nationals who are exempt from this obligation, such as:

- citizens of the European Union, other countries of the European Economic Area, Switzerland and members of their families; - foreigners with a settlement permit; - foreigners granted a long-term EC resident status in Poland; - foreigners granted a long-term EC resident status in another EU country, with a temporary residence permit in Poland, issued on the base of employment; - refugees, people granted temporary protection, people granted the tolerated stay status.

Most significant categories of non-EEA nationals are not required to possess a work permit:

1. Students of the Polish universities – during the summer break – in July, August and September;


2. Students on internships arranged by international student associations; 3. Students within a framework of co-operation between Polish employment services and their partners abroad; 4. Foreign students on paid internships.

REMARKS: even though the above mentioned categories of the non-EEA nationals do not require a work permit, still they must have a visa for the purpose of work, issued by the Polish consulate.

Further information: Voivodship Offices (Social Affairs Units), Regional Labour Offices – these are different in each voivodship: Dolnośląskie Voivodeship: Office Kujawsko-Pomorskie Voivodeship Office: Lubelskie Voivodeship: Office Lubuskie Voivodeship Office: Łódzkie Voivodeship Office: Małopolskie Voivodeship Office: Mazowieckie Voivodeship Labour Office: Opolskie Voivodeship Office: Podkarpackie Voivodeship Office: Podlaskie Voivodeship Office: Pomorskie Voivodeship Office: Śląskie Voivodeship Office: Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship Office: Warmińsko-Mazurskie Voivodeship Office: Wielkopolskie Voivodeship Office: Zachodniopomorskie Voivodeship Office:

Department of Migration, Ministry of Labour and Social Policy EURES – The European job mobility portal

33 estrictions=&fromCountryId=null&langChanged=true

Requested documents: An application regarding a foreigner’s work permit (if needed) is submitted by the potential employer.

Company support: The employer usually supports an intern in preparation of the required documents in order to prepare work permit or residence documents (if needed).

For graduates: the CEMS office at SGH supports CEMS students who have already graduated from their home university but who are still CEMS students. We support them in obtaining the necessary certificate in order to obtain an internship.


PORTUGAL – FACULDADE DE ECONOMIA DA UNIVERSIDADE NOVA DE LISBOA School support: NOVA being quite a new member within the CEMS Alliance has short experience on supporting incoming students. The strategy they had initially set up was based on two different but complementary approaches:

a. To negotiate a pre-agreement with each of their main contact companies on a given number of potential internships in Portugal for incoming students; b. To individually assist CEMS students contacting NOVA with a specific internship project (e.g. Internship in the Tourism area).

Unfortunately, as a result of the current crisis, most of the main contact companies cut their internship budgets in 2009: companies do not want to negotiate any pre-agreements at present. Consequently, CEMS at NOVA hasn’t been able so far to materialize the initial objective. The school obviously maintains their assistance to students who are individually contacting NOVA, although no guarantees can be given. This assistance consists in sending the CV to one or several companies in Portugal, the characteristics of which match the student’s internship project.

Contact: CEMS Corporate Relations Coordinator: Catherine da Silveira -

Legislation: Basically, unlike other European countries, there is no specific legislation relating to salary, benefits or duration for internships in companies in Portugal. A specific legislation, with much more constraints, applicable for all students including Portuguese citizens, exists for internships in the institutions that belong to the State.

Requested documents: The required documents for companies are the same as those required for being a foreign student at NOVA: •

Visa is not required for EU citizens.

Identity card or Passport is required.

Student visa is required for non EU citizens.


In any case, a fiscal number (NIF/Numero de identificação fiscal) is required if the student receives a salary. Foreigners can obtain easily the Fiscal number if they hold all other required documents.

Company support: Human Resources Departments usually support non-EU interns if they need to obtain a work permit or residence documents.

For graduates: Residence documents are required for non-EU graduates. A valid working visa will be necessary as well, depending on the country of origin. No specific requirements for EU graduates.


RUSSIA - GRADUATE SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, ST. PETERSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY School support: GSOM has a Career Centre to help students search for an internship. All the information about the possible companies is placed on the GSOM website, so that students may choose the most appropriate company.

Contact: GSOM CEMS MIM Academic Coordinator- Olga Plotnikova - Director of GSOM Career Centre/Corporate Relations Coordinator – Karina Khabacheva

Legislation: The easiest way for the student to get an internship is to be registered at GSOM for one semester, which will provide him/her a student visa and to get an internship with the help of GSOM. A student must keep in mind that in this case he/she will be provided with accommodation in the GSOM dormitory but will not get any payment from the company for the internship. In this situation the student’s citizenship will not make any difference. All other variants are more complicated and will much depend on the company and its assistance in obtaining a visa.

Further information:

Required documents: For GSOM to prepare the invitation for visa a student will have to send us a copy of their passport. It is practically always required that a student should have insurance in order to get a visa. All other documents may vary in different countries. For the company a student will have to present a CV and a special covering letter. All other documents may be required/requested by the company directly.

Company support: This highly depends on the company and can vary greatly from one situation to another. For graduates: In this case the school can help to find the company but due to Russian legislation cannot be of much help in terms of visa. Much will also depend on the company.


SINGAPORE – NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE School support: NUS Business School has a dedicated Career Services Office that provides a suite of professional career-related services, to give students an edge in today’s competitive employment market and assist them in their job search. Working closely with recruiters from banks, multinational corporations and major organisations across various industries, the office actively seek meaningful internship and job opportunities for students

Contact: Students can look for the career counsellors at the Career Services Office in NUS Business School if they need help in searching for an internship.

Legislation: Foreign students are not allowed to work in Singapore during their school term time or vacation time unless they are granted a Work Pass/Work permit by the Ministry of Manpower. However, there are two exceptions when a Work Permit is not required:

1. Foreign students who are 14 years of age or above and are on vacation and are full-time matriculated or registered students in National University of Singapore. Note: Foreign students registered at NUS, who are waiting for their final examinations results or convocation are also granted work permit exemption. However, once they have completed their studies, and their student pass expires, they will no longer be exempted from work pass requirements.

2. Foreign students who work a maximum of 16 hours a week and are full-time matriculated or registered students in National University of Singapore.

“Work Holiday Pass”: The Work Holiday Programme is open to undergraduates and graduates from universities and equivalent institutions in Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. Students who have gained admission to the university


but have not commenced their studies may also apply. Applicants must be between 17 and 30 years of age. This programme will start with 2,000 places. The “Work Holiday Pass” is valid for six months. The Pass must be collected within three months from the date of the In-Principle Approval Letter (IPA), which is sent to applicants when their applications are approved. “Work Holiday Pass” holders are allowed to work and are not restricted to only specific types of work. However, existing licensing, registration or accreditation requirements (e.g. medicine or law) will apply. Since this is a short work stint, there would not be any minimum salary requirement.

Foreign Students who do not meet the above criteria can consider the “Training Employment Pass”. The Ministry will accept applicants from the following universities or equivalent institutions as listed on the following sources: •

The Australian Government - Department of Education, Science and Training;

The French Ministry of National Education (Public Universities);

The French Ministry of National Education (Private Universities) ;

The Studien - & Berufswahl Online Service ;

The Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Education Bureau ;

The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology for Japan ;

The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (Universities) ;

The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (Polytechnics) ;

The Department of Education and Skills for the United Kingdom ; and

The Institute of Education Sciences (US Department of Education)

Further information: Ministry of Manpower: yment_of_foreign.html

Required documents: Foreign students have to ensure that they are holding a valid student pass and are studying at educational institutions approved by the Ministry of Manpower. The


employer may require a letter of authorisation from the approved institutions to indicate that the students are allowed to intern during the school holiday.

Company support: Typically, most firms are open to hiring interns across all nationalities, as long as the candidate concerned is eligible to work in Singapore.

For graduates: Employers who wish to hire foreign students who have completed their studies with their respective schools/institutions should apply for appropriate work passes on their behalf. Each application will be accessed on its merits, subject to the prevailing work pass criteria and approval by the Controller of Work Passes.


SPAIN - ESADE School support: Incoming students have access to ESADE Career Services Intranet (in the future the site will be called the Virtual Career Resource Centre) to post their current and updated CV on-line (button on webpage called MIESADEJOBS) in the job data base so that companies can have access to their profiles. The incoming CEMS students also have access to the ESADE job database whereby companies post their current full-time positions and internship opportunities.

Contact: Incoming CEMS students can contact the CEMS Corporate Coordinator in ESADE Career Services (Kim Tombarelli - via the contact info on

Legislation/ Requested documents: Before Arriving in Spain EU citizens, citizens of the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) and Switzerland do not require a visa to enter Spain. All they need is a national identification card or passport.

For non-EU members, visa requirements may differ from country to country, so ESADE recommends that you consult the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your home country concerning the process for obtaining a Student Visa/Visado para Estudios. This can be a lengthy process so get started as early as possible.

You can download the Schengen Visa application here:

The documentation that you will be asked to present for a Student Visa will include: •


Passport-size photos

Proof of financial means

Letter of acceptance from ESADE

Proof of health insurance including repatriation

Other special information required for citizens of your country


After Arriving in Spain

EVERYONE, whether from the EU or not, living in Barcelona for longer than 3 months, is required by law to register with the local town council. This is called padró/empadronamiento and is one of the easier processes to carry out.

In addition to the Padró, students from EU countries who will be in Spain for more than 3 months are required to obtain a Certificado de registro de residente comunitario (Certificate of registration as a resident of the European Community) within 1 month of arrival in Barcelona. The documentation you are required to provide is:

Passport or national identity document + copy

Completed EX-16 application form + copy

You may be asked to provide justification for staying in Spain. If you are a CEMS incoming student doing a semester abroad at ESADE, these students can take their acceptance letter from ESADE.

Present this documentation at the address below. You will be given another form to fill out, take to a bank and pay the fees (about €7). You will receive the certificate the same day.

Comisaría de Policía de Barceloneta Pg Joan de Borbó, 32 08003 Barcelona Tel. +34 932 240 610 Monday – Friday 9:00 – 14:00

By law, all everyone is required to carry identification on them. In the case of EU citizens, this means your passport or national ID card, as well as the Certificate of registration.


INTERNSHIPS IMPORTANT! In order to be able to do an internship in Spain, you MUST have an NIE (número de idenficación de extranjero) Foreign Identification Number, which is included in the Registry Certificate (Certificado de registro de residente comunitario).

VISAS Students from non-EU countries may or may not need a visa for visits of less than 90 days. Consult the list here: visados.pdf

If your country of nationality is on List I and your stay is for 90-180 days, you need a letter C+D student visa.

If your stay is for longer than 180 days you need a letter D student visa. Within a month of arriving in Barcelona, you are required to apply for a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (Identity Card for Foreigners, commonly known as a Student Residence Card), which is valid for one year and is renewable. The application form and information can be downloaded here:

The documentation that you will be asked to present is:

Completed application form + copy

Passport (with visa) + copy

3 colour passport size photos

Document supporting reason for application (ESADE course registration document)

Proof of financial means

Certificate of empadronamiento (civil registry) Refer to the instructions above.

Certificate of the temporary residence in Spain

Payment of fees


To be submitted to: Dirección General de la Policía Oficina de Extranjeros c/ Guadalajara 1-3 08006 Barcelona Tel. +34 934 159 769 H

Monday – Thursday 9:00 – 17:30; Friday 9:00 – 14:00

Buses: 6, 7, 15, 16, 17, 22, 24, 27, 28, 31, 32, 33, 34, 114 Metro: Yellow Line 4 & Blue Line 5 – Diagonal Station; Green Line 3 – Fontana Station FGC: Gracia Station No appointment is necessary but it is best to get there early and be prepared to wait in line.

ESADE or CEMS incoming Students who need to renew their Student Card can do so through the Universitat Ramon Llull Central Services. This cannot be done more than 60 days before the expiration date, nor later than one month before your ID Card expires. Student Card renewal:

Further information: Here is the summary of the different links mentioned in this document.

Application for Schengen Visa: Application EX-16 form: Country list for Visas: visados.pdf Application for Foreign Identity Card: Student Card renewal:


Company support: Companies who have a need for an international profile like the student profiles of the CEMS students will usually post their internship offers in Spanish and English and even in the other preferred language(s) for which they are looking for the internship position. In these cases, the internship job description clearly expresses that they are interested in these profiles and vice versa.

For graduates: An internship work contract in Spain almost always is done via a cooperation agreement. A cooperation agreement is a work contract for an internship which must be done by a university for an “active” student and registered in classes and possess the proper insurance coverage by a university. In this case, incoming CEMS students are only recognised as an “active” CEMS student at ESADE during their official enrolment of their CEMS semester abroad. Cooperation agreements for incoming CEMS students at ESADE can be extended only during the time when they are attending classes during their CEMS semester abroad. Outside of this period, CEMS students must consult their home universities to see if this person still has a student status in order to receive a cooperation agreement.


SWEDEN – STOCKHOLM SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS University support and contact: Internships are not very common in Sweden, the internship phenomena not being the culture of Swedish companies. At SSE, the Student Association (SASSE) manages internship offers, but the CEMS office forwards all the offers received from companies or organizations to the CEMS students. Students










( ) and find the offers posted there. For non-SSE students, the following sites may be useful:

Legislation: Both EU/EEA-members and students from outside the EU/EEA countries can apply equally for internships in Sweden, but non EU-members have to apply for a work permit as well. This application should be prepared and the permit obtained before the student enters Sweden. For










For graduates: Internships for newly-graduated students do occur. The procedure should be the same as for students.


SWITZERLAND - UNIVERSITA ST. GALLEN University support: Students can contact the Career Services Centre that provides students with information and advice.

Contact: Career Services Centre, University of St.Gallen (HSG)

Legislation: Foreign students can only obtain permission to work if it is part of their study programme (e.g. internship). Non-European students are not allowed to work during the first 6 months of their stay. Employment not related to their studies as a guest student must be reviewed on an individual basis by the cantonal immigration department. EU/EFTA nationals (not including the 10 new EU members) would have to apply for a work permit through their employer. Non-EU/EFTA students are unlikely to be issued a work permit.

Further information: Guidelines for Swiss work permit regulations: under “Informationen fur auslandische Studierende�

Requested documents: Before somebody takes up a job or internship, the employer must apply to the St. Gallen Cantonal Labour Office for a work permit. In any case, it is absolutely necessary that the studies remain the main purpose of a residency. Therefore, a written permission from the Head of School to work part-time is needed. Parttime work must not interfere with the studies nor may it be a reason for the length of study to be extended.

The application process is usually initiated by the employer submitting the necessary application documents to the competent authority in the canton of residence or work of the applicant. Depending on the canton, this can be the Municipal Office, the Department for Migration or the Department for Commerce.


Company support: They do not support the hiring formally. A specific problem is that companies usually are interested in hiring foreign students to work in their home country. They are not specifically interested in hiring international students to work in Switzerland. A reason is that after their studies they will return to their home countries. Even if they want to stay in Switzerland after completing their studies it is difficult to get a work permit for Non-EU/EFTA citizens.

For graduates: To qualify as trainees, nationals of the following countries must have concluded vocational training of at least 2 years' duration, and they must not be older than 35 years (Australia, New Zealand, Hungary, Poland and Russia: 30 years):

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, UK, Ukraine, USA

The agreement with Canada also admits students for working stays in connection with their education. As a consequence of the Bilateral Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons between Switzerland and the EU, nationals of the previous EU15 countries and of Norway no longer need a work permit in Switzerland. Owing to this improved legal status, the trainee agreements with these countries have been suspended.


THE NETHERLANDS - ROTTERDAM SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, ERASMUS UNIVERSITY School support: At the start of the semester Career Services gives a presentation on its services. Incoming students have equal access to these services as the RSM students. Career Services posts diverse internships on a daily basis. Students need to apply FOR their preferred internship by themselves.

Contact: In general students can approach Career Services, via e-mail to and for specific questions on CEMS corporate partners they can contact Frieda Franke, CEMS CRC

Legislation: For EU citizens there are no restrictions. They only need to be registered at RSM. Non-EU citizens can also do an internship, but they need a filled6in Internship Agreement, signed by the student, the company and the university (see example on webpage Normally this should not result in any problems.

Further information: In case of doubts or questions, please contact a national organisation called Nuffic, .

Requested documents: Together with the Internship Agreement the student needs to submit a copy of his/her passport. (Documents related to staying in the Netherlands are part of the exchange procedure and are dealt with by the RSM International Office).

Company support: There are fewer internships available that are suitable for non-Dutch speaking students. Foreign students are welcome to apply but their chances are equal to those of other applicants.

For graduates: Graduates cannot get an internship in The Netherlands after losing their student status.


THE UNITED KINGDOM – LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE, DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT School support: Incoming CEMS students have equal access to LSE Careers Service, including the information pages on the website, the online vacancy board, one-to-one careers advice, CV checks, practice interviews etc. However, they cannot access the facilities until they have formally registered at LSE (usually in early October). Students are encouraged to take advantage of the large variety of events organised by the Careers Service, including career fairs, workshops, company presentations and skills sessions and to apply for internships which are promoted by the School. Most of the internships are posted on our online vacancy board.

Contact: Students are encouraged to check the LSE career pages regularly for updates: In case of further queries the Careers Service can be contacted via email:

For specific questions about CEMS corporate partners, they may contact Dina Dommett, CEMS Corporate Relations Coordinator, in the Department of Management, at

Legislative conditions for UK internships and full time employment: INTERNSHIPS: It is rare for our preferred employers to openly prefer EU students for internships. Employers generally select the best candidate, regardless of nationality, for internships. FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT: EU citizens will not usually face any legal issues with EU employment. Information about the Worker Registration Scheme for nationals of new member states can be found at the following address:

Not all firms sponsor work permits, so overseas students are encouraged to clarify this issue with prospective employers before they apply.


LSE ADVICE ON LEGAL ISSUES and DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED: Non-EU citizens, and all students seeking internships or employment outside of their home country, can speak to an LSE student union advisor who is a specialist in this area. Students are advised to check the information on the Careers website and contact the student union for further queries.

UK HOME IMMIGRATION POLICY FOR MIGRANT WORKERS: Students are encouraged to check the UK Home Office’s website for updates on work permits and visa programmes: One programme in particular for which students may be eligible is the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme:

Internship/Employment status for graduates: Graduates who no longer have student status may be eligible for a work visa if they meet the UK Home Office’s requirements and if they successfully complete the relevant visa application.


Please, return to (filled in by the intern): School: Coordinator’s name: Street & n°: City: Country: Phone number: Email:

Postal code:

EVALUATION FORM OF THE CEMS INTERN’S PERFORMANCE INTERN Name: First name: Home school/ University: COMPANY Company name: Human Resources Contact: Intern Supervisor’s name: Title: Address (Street & City):

Tel: Fax:

Postal Code:


INTERNSHIP Ending date (dd/mm/yyyy):

Starting date (dd/mm/yyyy): Job description during the internship:

Languages used during the internship: Evaluation of the job performed by intern:

Date: (dd/mm/yyyy)



Company Stamp:



1- Professional aptitudes

























1.1 communication skills 1.2.problem solving 1.3 putting initiatives into practice 1.4 adaptation to company culture 1.5 decision making 1.6 organisation of work process

2- Intellectual aptitudes 2.1 theoretical knowledge 2.2 analytical skills

3- International skills 3.1 tolerance/open-mindedness 3.2 handles cultural differences skilfully 3.3 foreign language skills 3.4 presentation skills in foreign language 3.5 ability to function effectively in a foreign language

4- Social abilities 4.1 team working ability 4.2 attitude towards colleagues

Very poor


Overall rating







Three most important reasons for this overall rating: (choose items from the above mentioned elements of evaluations)

1. 2. 3. If there are equally important reasons not mentioned above, which ones:

Evaluate the performance of the intern in comparison to your expectations Very poor











Evaluate the performance of the intern in comparison to the best interns, you have had A

Any additional comment?




Dear CEMS student, The following CEMS Internship Guide has been prepared for your convenience. It is meant to provide you with practical inf...