Page 1

Academic Advice

Student Advice Cyngor i Fyfyrwyr

Introduction This booklet provides information about academic issues you may face throughout your time at Cardiff University. If you are faced with any of the issues, please do not panic. We are here to help and assist you with your problems. There are set procedures you will need to follow, if in doubt get advice. Student Advice Opening Times 3rd Floor, Students’ Union, Park Place Monday - Friday 10.00 - 16.00 - By appointment only Monday - Friday 12:00 - 14:00 - Drop-in: no appointment needed Heath Park campus - Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:00 - 14:00 Or contact us: 029 20 781 410

Contents 3. Extenuating Circumstances 7. Academic Appeals 9. Unfair Practice 12. Fitness to practice 14. Interruption of study 17. Leaving University 18. Attendance and failure to engage 20. Rules of behaviour 22. Changing course 23. Revision tips

Please note: All information is correct as of January 2018, but the University may change regulations from time to time.

Extenuating Circumstances » The University encourages students to report any circumstances that they believe have negatively impacted their performance in an assessment or examination. These circumstances should be reported to your Academic School as they arise and before the School deadline. What are extenuating circumstances? The University defines extenuating circumstances as circumstances which: »» have prevented you from performing at your usual level in an assessment or examination; »» are severe and exceptional; »» are unforeseen or unavoidable; »» occur close in time to the affected assessment or examination.

What circumstances are likely to be accepted? These circumstances are likely to be accepted if suitable evidence is provided, however this is not a complete list: »» serious short-term illness or accident; »» bereavement - for example the death of a close relative or friend, partner or significant other; »» evidence of a long-term health condition worsening or a change in symptoms; »» significant adverse personal/family circumstances; »» being a victim of a serious crime; »» disability or impairment where it has not been possible to put required adjustments in place. Please note: the University will consider other extenuating circumstances where you can show significant impact on your performance in assessments.

What circumstances are unlikely to be accepted? These are examples of circumstances which the University say are less likely to be accepted in isolation. This list is not exhaustive: »» statement of a medical condition without reasonable evidence (medical or otherwise) to support it; »» medical circumstances that occur outside the relevant assessment or learning period for which appropriate adjustments have already been made (e.g. extensions, specific provision); »» minor illnesses or ailments which should not reasonably disrupt your ability to work; »» long-term health conditions for which the student is already receiving reasonable and appropriate adjustments to assessments; »» some computer, printing or other ITrelated problems; »» poor time management; »» holidays, weddings or other family-related events; »» paid employment; »» attendance at, or participation in, sporting, musical or other events; »» where there is a reasonable case that the circumstances reported were foreseeable or preventable. Please note: if your circumstances do not appear in this list but you feel they have seriously affected your academic performance then you should still report them to your School.


What remedies are available? Extension Request You would normally request an extension when you need more time to complete an assessment. The request would normally be made when you have a circumstance listed above that is short term. Extension requests must be made before the submission deadline. We would suggest continuing to work on the assessment until the request has been approved

Exam Board Remedy You would request an Exam Board Remedy for exams and assessments that you were not able to submit because of a circumstance listed above, or where you have been able to submit or attend the assessment and your performance may have been compromised.

2. Provide written evidence which supports your circumstances. Examples of commonly accepted forms of evidence: »» doctor’s letter which confirms illness and the period it affected you; »» photocopy of a death certificate; »» letter of support/explanation from a support service at the University i.e. the Disability and Dyslexia Service or Counselling; »» letter of support/explanation from a third party (such as a police report, local authority report or counsellor’s letter, etc). Examples of evidence which are unlikely to be accepted: »» evidence of a medical condition for which the doctor did not see/diagnose;

How do I report extenuating circumstances for an Exam Board Remedy?

»» a letter from a parent, partner or family member verifying circumstances where there is no other independent supporting evidence.

You must report any extenuating circumstances at the earliest opportunity and before any school deadline. Each Academic School sets deadlines for reporting extenuating circumstances, please contact your school office for information about their deadlines.

Your School may ask for more evidence to support or clarify your case. If you do not have the evidence, you must report your circumstances by the deadline and include on the form when you will be able to provide the evidence.

1. Download and complete the extenuating circumstances form. You must fully complete the extenuating circumstances form including: »» details and dates of the extenuating circumstances;

Some situations are difficult to evidence even though the impact is significant. Always seek advice if you have difficulty providing evidence.

3. Send the documents to your School Office before any set deadlines.

»» how the circumstances have affected your performance;

You must report your extenuating circumstances to your School Office as soon as they arise and before the School deadline. You should create a copy of the form and evidence for your personal record.

»» the assessments and/or examinations which have been affected (including module codes);

Ensure you obtain proof that your forms have been received by the School:

»» evidence which supports your circumstances; All extenuating circumstances should be discussed confidentially.


»» In person - hand the documents to your School Office, requesting a stamp to confirm delivery; »» By post - send the documents via recorded

post, keeping a receipt of postage for your records; »» by email - attach documents to an email and send to School Office email address. If your form is sent from a valid Cardiff University email account or SIMS it will not require a signature.

Extensions Requests Follow steps one to Three; 1. State the length of time you wish to request an extension (although this might be dictated by the programme) 2. You must submit the request prior to the deadline and as far in advance as possible 3. If you do not receive confirmation by the deadline you will need to request an Exam Board Remedy

What if I submit extenuating circumstances late? If you wait until you get your results before reporting extenuating circumstances it may be too late. If you are unable to report your extenuating circumstances by the school deadline, you will need to submit an academic appeal once your results have been published. Appeals must be submitted within 28 days of your results letter on SIMS, after the final exam board has sat usually after the spring semester assessments. You will need to explain why you did not report the extenuating circumstances before the deadline. The University expects you to submit Extenuating Circumstances when they happen. The circumstances will only be considered on appeal if you can provide a very good reason why you could not report them earlier. If the reason is not considered sufficient your appeal will be rejected.

Each application will be considered on an individual basis against the extenuating circumstances criteria, taking into account: »» the circumstances you have outlined; »» the supporting evidence you have provided; »» any specific programme or professional body requirements.

The group will make a decision to accept or reject your extenuating circumstances application and inform the Examining Board, who will then apply an appropriate remedy. If your extenuating circumstances are accepted, the usual remedy is either: »» a further attempt at your assessment if you failed; »» an uncapped further attempt at your assessment if you fail; »» your module is eligible for discounting at the final classification stage if you pass your module.

In exceptional circumstances where the Head of School believes that discounting affected modules (within the permitted limits) is an insufficient remedy, other remedies may also be available for final year students. Some extenuating circumstances relate to Protected Characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010; in these cases other remedies may be available. If you have personal circumstances that are affecting your studies over a long period of time then you should seek advice from Student Support about putting adjustments in place to help you study. You may also wish to take an interruption of study.

What happens after you submit your form? Your Academic School will consider your form and evidence at an Extenuating Circumstances Group. The group is made up of a small number of staff and all personal information is handled sensitively and in confidence.


What if I am unhappy with the decision? If you are unhappy with the decision, seek advice from Student Advice. You may submit an academic appeal if you believe the exam board has acted unreasonably. In some situations you could submit a complaint. It is very important that you seek specialist advice. Some students may have extenuating circumstances which specifically relate to one of the Protected Characteristics as defined in the Equality Act 2010. In this case the Board may exceptionally permit a student to re-sit a module that they have passed which has been affected by extenuating circumstances that explicitly link to a characteristic.

Categories defined by the Equality Act: »» Age; »» Disability; »» Gender reassignment; »» Marriage and civil partnership; »» Pregnancy and maternity; »» Race; »» Religion and belief; »» Sex (gender); »» Sexual orientation.


If you believe you have extenuating circumstances that can be linked to a protected characteristic then you need to include this information when you report your extenuating circumstances by completing section 4b of the form. Where available you should provide evidence to demonstrate the link. The Extenuating Circumstances Group will not take this information into account if you do not complete this section of the form as they will not assume you fall within a protected characteristic. If you are unsure whether your circumstances would link to a protected characteristic, please seek advice from Student Advice. All reports will be treated sensitively, in confidence, and will only be made available to School staff directly involved in considering extenuating circumstances.

Academic Appeals » The academic appeal procedure applies to every student on a programme of study, leading to an award granted by Cardiff University. Your appeal should be submitted online through SIMS after you have received your final results.


Defects or irregularities in the conduct of the Examinations and/or other Assessments or in written instructions or advice relating thereto which were not known to the Examining Board, when such defects, irregularities or advice are shown to have had an adverse effect on the student’s performance or evidence that the Examining Board has acted unreasonably;


Extenuating Circumstances which were not known to the Examining Board, and where the student can show good reason why such circumstances could not have been made known to the Examining Board when the student was assessed, and which are shown to have had an adverse effect on the student’s performance.

If you are a PhD student, or a student on a professional course the submission process might be different. Seek advice. If you wish to appeal against your result which has been decided by the Exam Board, you must use the Verification and Appeal procedure for it to be considered.

Is there a deadline? You must submit your appeal within 28 days of the issuing of your official module/award result. The University deems it your responsibility to check your SIMS account. If you are outside of the 28 day deadline, the academic regulations state that the appeal can be rejected for being outside the time limit. If you submit outside the 28 days you will need to provide a good explanation for the lateness supported with evidence. If you are considering making an academic appeal, we strongly recommend that you contact Student Advice before submitting your appeal form.

You cannot appeal just because you disagree with the examiner or you want a remark. The University will not consider any appeals which challenge academic judgement.

Your appeal will be handled by the Student Case Service which is part of the Registry. Any correspondence about your appeal should be directed to Student Cases and not your School.

What grounds can I appeal on? The University has very specific grounds for appeal and it is extremely important that you are appealing within these grounds for your appeal to be considered. 1.

The mark and/or result published by the University contains arithmetical or other errors of fact;


How can Student Advice help? Student Advice can discuss the issues you wish to appeal about and advise you on how best to construct an appeal within the grounds. We can review a draft of your appeal and discuss with you what evidence you may need to support your appeal. It is your responsibility to present any evidence you wish the University to consider with your appeal submission within the appeal deadline.

After submitting an appeal After you have submitted an appeal to the University you will receive an acknowledgement from Student Cases. If your appeal is not deemed to fall within the grounds, you will be informed. Otherwise, your appeal and any supporting evidence will be sent to the Chair of the Exam Board in your School for verification on the grounds you have appealed. Under the regulations, the Chair is normally expected to submit a response back to Student Cases within 14 days but in Student Advice’s experience, this may vary depending on the number of cases being processed. The Vice-Chancellor appoints at least two members of senior academic staff. Your appeal, along with your supporting evidence will be considered by a Senior Academic alongside the Chair of Exam Board’s verification response and one of the following decisions will be made: 1.

Your appeal is referred back to a reconvened Exam Board to give full consideration to your appeal;


Your appeal is rejected and it will not warrant any further consideration. Student Cases will issue you with a Completion of Procedures stating the decision;


Within the regulations, the senior member of Academic staff can refer an appeal to an appeal Board for further consideration but in Student Advice’s experience this is extremely rare and reserved for complex appeals. The Appeal Board can decide either (i) or (ii) of the above.


If your appeal is referred to an Appeal Board, a Student Advice adviser can help you decide how best to present your case and make verbal representations on your behalf. If your appeal is referred back to a Re-convened Exam Board, Student Cases will communicate this decision to you and contact the Chair of the Exam Board. The Chair re-convenes the Exam Board to consider your case. A referral to a reconvened Exam Board does not automatically mean that the Exam Board is expected to change their mind in light of your appeal. Each appeal is considered on its individual circumstances and some students receive a change in decision but similarly others do not. Every appeal is different and the Exam Board has to exercise their judgement in each individual case. Student Cases will communicate the decision of the Exam Board to you, along with a reason for that decision. You may request a review of the decision in certain circumstances.

Completion of Procedures Letter At the end of the process you will be issued with a Completion of Procedures letter. If you are not, you should request this. Your Completion of Procedures letter should explain that your appeal has been considered by the University, and the outcome that has been decided on. The letter will refer to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA). If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome of your appeal and received a Completion of Procedures letter, it is advisable to speak a Student Advice adviser about your case as we can explain the OIA complaint scheme and how they review complaints.

Unfair Practice What is Unfair Practice?


This guidance is for all students except research degree candidates. If you are a research degree candidate there is a separate procedure. Please seek advice.

Collusion takes place when work that has been done with others is submitted and passed off as solely the work of one person. When working with others you must ensure that you are clear about what can be done in collaboration with others, and what must be solely your own efforts.

Unfair Practice is defined in the University’s Unfair Practice procedure. Unfair Practice is defined generally as “any act whereby a person might obtain for him/herself or for another, an unpermitted advantage or a higher mark or grade than his/her abilities would otherwise secure”. Unfair Practice can take one or more of a number of forms in relation to nonexamination and examination conditions, including: »» Plagiarism; »» Collusion; »» Self-plagiarism; »» Examination misconduct; »» Acting dishonestly.

What are these? Plagiarism Plagiarism occurs when work that is submitted for assessment contains the words or ideas of others without the original source being properly attributed or acknowledged. It includes attempts to pass off work that has been produced by fellow students as your own, your own work that you have used for previous assessments, or words or ideas that are found in textbooks, in articles, on the Web, or in any other format.

Self-plagiarism As advised above, if you should copy work used in a previous assessment for another piece of work, this will still constitute plagiarism.

Examination misconduct This can include but is not limited to; »» Opening the question paper or writing in your answer book before the exam has started; »» Trying to continue writing once you have been told to stop; »» Taking in notes or electronic devices on you that are not permitted (including mobile phones, or pre-programmable calculators) even if this is done by mistake; »» Talking to other students.

Assessment misconduct This can include but is not limited to: »» Presenting other people’s work as your own; »» Presenting group work as your individual work; »» Using an “essay mill” or paying someone to write an assessment for you.

This includes work that has been slightly changed or paraphrased so it looks different from the original.


Processes for unfair practice Examination If the assessment is an exam then the invigilator who suspects unfair practice will inform you that they will be reporting you to the Superintendent of Examinations and will confiscate any evidence. This will include mobile phones or electronic devices: these are not allowed in exam venues unless expressly permitted within the exam rubric. The Superintendent will decide either to: »» Refer the case to a Committee of Enquiry; »» Take no further action. The Committee will consider the evidence submitted to it on the allegation of unfair practice, determine whether the allegation has been substantiated and if appropriate, apply a penalty. The Committee has the following range of options to choose from: »» A formal reprimand; »» Study skills training; »» The cancellation of marks for an assessment or module or year of study; »» A recommendation to the Vice-Chancellor that your progress is postponed for a year; »» To reduce your degree classification by one class or to not award you a distinction; »» A recommendation to the Vice-Chancellor that you are disqualified from all future assessments. If you are not happy with the decision, you are able to appeal this.

Assessment If staff believe you may have committed unfair practice you will be invited to attend a meeting with the Unfair Practice Coordinator and the member of staff who identified the possible unfair practice. The arrangements for this meeting will be explained to you at the time. If the assessment is summative (it does count towards your end of year mark) then the Chair of the Examining Board can decide to: »» Take no further action; »» Ask you to undertake study skills and warn you of the possible future consequences; »» Require you to undertake study skills and set the mark for your assessment to zero. You may be permitted a further attempt but this will be capped at the pass mark; »» Refer the case to a Committee of Enquiry.

If the assessment is formative (it doesn’t count towards your end of year mark), then the Chair of the Examining Board can decide to: »» Dismiss the concern; »» Require you to undertake study skills training; »» Place a note on your student record which will remain throughout your studies.

Remember, the University considers it your responsibility: »» To check and ensure that you have referenced your work correctly; »» To check you are not bringing any unauthorised material into the exam room; »» To ensure that the work you submit for an individual assignment is your own and is not from colluding or copied from others or previous work submitted.

pwriting services. A


How can Student Advice help? If you are facing an allegation of unfair practice, you can speak to Student Advice in confidence about your case. Student Advice can help you to prepare your response to the allegation. Student Advice is independent from the University so we can offer you confidential and impartial advice. It is important that you contact Student Advice as soon as you receive a letter about unfair practice, whether it’s from your School’s Unfair Practice Co-ordinator or the Superintendent of Examinations. A Student Advice adviser can explain the procedure to you, attend any meetings with you and help you draft a response to the allegation. Things to remember: »» Before you submit your work, check that you have referenced properly; »» Do not copy your classmates work; »» Cheating in exams is serious offence; »» If you are seen to have committed an act of unfair practice, it can have serious implications on your further study; »» Never use essay mills or other online essay writing services. resourcehub-2/writing-andpresenting/avoiding-plagiarism/


Housing Information November 2014 2.

F itness to Practise If you are enrolled on a course which leads to professional registration (such as Nursing, Medicine or Pharmacy) and your conduct raises concerns about your suitability to enter that profession, you may face Fitness to Practise proceedings. Fitness to Practise concerns about conduct can be about your personal conduct, not just your conduct on placement. The University may be concerned if you have a health condition which you are struggling to manage, which will in turn impinge upon your fitness to practise. A Student Advice adviser can help you respond to these concerns, prepare a written submission and represent you at any hearings. Remember that if you are a member of a social networking site, you are responsible for what you publish on the internet. If you are on a course which leads to professional registration or working with vulnerable people, you should be mindful about what you post on social networking sites so that your fitness to practise is not questioned. Fitness to practise is ensuring that as a student on a professional programme you are aware of your health and conduct at all times and are safe to be around patients, clients and members of the public.

You must: »» Ensure your behaviour is professional on placement, in University and in your personal life; »» Ensure you remain mentally and physically fit and seek support if your health deteriorates or impacts on your ability to study or engage with placement activities; »» If anything arises that may affect your fitness to practise you must seek advice. To choose not to disclose something can be a serious breach of your professional body rules and is usually more serious than the issue you are reporting;


»» Reporting something cannot automatically remove you from the Programme. The University will always consider actions that will enable you to continue with your programme where this is possible it is a strength to admit you need support.

What happens if I report something? During your time at University you have a duty as a student on a professional programme to report anything you are concerned about relating to you or another student that might impact upon someone’s fitness to practise. Your concern will be dealt with confidentially and only shared with staff on a need-to-know basis. However, if you are reporting another student’s conduct then the information you provide and your identity may be shared with that student.

Reporting a health concern You may already have a condition that worsens or changes, or you may develop a health condition during your Programme. You must ensure the University is aware of any conditions that may affect your fitness to practise. If you report a change or a new condition the University will refer you to occupational health services to ensure all appropriate support and reasonable adjustments can be put in place. If your condition has an impact on your fitness to practise once appropriate support and reasonable adjustments have been put in place then this will need to be considered using the Fitness to Practise Procedure. The investigation may include liaising with your doctor or healthcare team to be able to make an accurate and detailed assessment of your health.

Reporting your own conduct If you receive a caution, police warning or criminal conviction or are aware that you have broken any laws or University rules then you must report this to your Personal Tutor. If you do not immediately report any issues to the University this in itself is a further breach of the Fitness to Practise Procedure. »» Depending on how serious the conduct is, the University may suspend you from placement or the programme during an investigation. The University will usually wait for any outstanding police matters to be resolved before investigating; »» Suspension will be assessed on the basis of risk that you pose to the University community, members of the public and patients.

Reporting another student’s conduct All professionals have a duty to report behaviour if they believe it is putting patients at risk. If you are worried about something that you have seen then talk to your Personal Tutor.

What happens if I am investigated? If you receive a letter regarding a fitness to practise investigation or suspension, do not panic, Student Advice can help. The University has a process that will take place (see the flow chart in this guide) and an investigation into all the circumstances will now begin. You will be given the name of the Investigating Officer who will investigate your case. This person is likely to meet with you to understand the full details of the matter. The Investigating Officer may ask you for evidence that relates to your health or conduct. Following the investigation, the Head of School will either dismiss the issue and no further action will be taken, or refer it to a Committee. You will be informed of the decision and the reasons for it by letter.

If you are invited to a meeting or a Committee at any point remember you can: »» Bring a supporter or representative with you; »» Have at least 1 weeks’ notice of meetings and 2 weeks’ notice of Committees; »» Have a copy of all the information to be discussed in advance; »» Seek independent advice from the Students’ Union or your professional body; »» Provide a written statement or evidence in advance; »» Speak to a member of staff if you are worried or have questions; »» Seek support from University Student Support Services or your doctor.

Committee decision You will always be given the outcome of the Committee in a letter within 7 days of the Committee taking place. This letter will give further details about any option to appeal that you might have. In most cases you will be given a verbal decision on the day of the hearing. If a Committee requires you to undertake some actions then you must adhere to them once you have received and accepted the decision of the Committee. If you do not follow the actions, a more serious sanction may be put in place.

Appealing a Committee Decision If you are unhappy with the outcome of a Committee then you can appeal the decision if you believe that there were: »» Procedural irregularities; »» Extenuating circumstances that you have a good reason for not telling the Committee before or during the meeting.


Interruption of Study Interruption of study is the term the University uses if you are absent with authorisation for more than 10 consecutive study days. The University does not normally allow an Interruption of Study for more than 12 months. Initially, if you are considering an Interruption of Study, you should speak to your School (personal tutor or course director or your supervisor if you are a postgraduate research student). An Interruption of Study can only be granted on certain grounds and you need to provide relevant supporting evidence. There are certain restrictions on when you can apply for Interruption of Study depending on what year of your course you are on. A Student Advice adviser can explain the different grounds for Interruption of Study and what supporting evidence would be appropriate to support your application.

You can make a request for an Interruption of Study via SIMS. It then must be authorised by your Head of School and you will be notified by Registry of the outcome. If your request is rejected, you have 10 days to submit an appeal. A Student Advice adviser can advise you on how to make an appeal if you are unsuccessful. If you need to be absent from your programme for more than two weeks, you can apply for an Interruption of Study. You can request an Interruption of Study ranging between two weeks and 12 months. However, the length of interruption that you ask for may not be permitted if it is unsuitable for you to return at the point you want because of difficulties arising in teaching or assessments. In these circumstances, it is unlikely that you will be able to return to your programme part way through a semester.

Grounds to take an interruption




Ill health

You will need appropriate medical evidence.

Sabbatical office

For those elected to a sabbatical post in the Students’ Union.

Work experience

In order to take work experience if you are on a non-sandwich course, provided the experience to be gained is relevant to your program of study.

Maternity leave

Granted to a student on grounds of maternity.

Parental leave

Where parental responsibility would prohibit study, subject to evidence.



Exceptional professional commitments

Where you are on a part time course and you have exceptional professional commitments. Must be accompanied by a written explanation from your employer.

Study abroad

If you are registered on a programme which does not already include a year abroad but you want to study at a HE institution overseas. Provided the experience to be gained is relevant to your course.

Compassionate grounds

Where your personal, domestic or family circumstances justify a request.

Financial hardship

Provided that this has arisen as a result of a change in circumstances beyond your control and that the interruption is not being sought to avoid the University’s fee collection procedure. Postgraduate students should please note that Research Councils do not accept an interruption of study on financial grounds.

Academic grounds

Making an application Before applying for an Interruption of Study you should speak to your Personal Tutor, Supervisor or Head of School to discuss your options and any academic implications.

In exceptional circumstances to ensure the student re-joins their programme of study at an appropriate point in the academic year.

will need to apply for extenuating circumstances and ask for exam board remedies or ask for an extension.

Applications are made through SIMS online. You will need to choose the grounds for applying, explain your circumstances and upload any necessary evidence. Your application will be considered as soon as possible after it is submitted. If your application is approved you will be notified in writing. If you are unable to submit assessments or attend exams during an assessment period you


Appealing the decision You can appeal the Interruption of Study decision by writing to the Academic Registrar within 14 days of receiving the decision. How to do this and the reasons that you can appeal will be sent to you when you are sent the decision. After all stages of the process have been completed, if you are not satisfied with the process and/or the final decision then you can complain to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator.

When an application is granted: Accommodation If you are living in University residences, you will need to speak to your Residences Manager about leaving your room. If you take an Interruption of Study you will only pay rent until the day you hand in your keys or when the interruption is updated on SIMS - whichever is later.

F inance implications You may be entitled to a full or partial refund of your tuition fees depending on when you apply for an interruption of study.


You will need to inform your funding body that you have interrupted your studies. The University will also contact them. You are not usually entitled to funding while not attending your course. This could mean you might be required to repay some of your grants and loan back. If you interrupted your studies due to ill health, Student Finance will still consider you in attendance on your course for the first 60 days of your absence, if they have evidence of the ill health. In exceptional circumstances of financial hardship, Student Finance has discretion to award further funding while you are on an Interruption of Study. The Advice and Money Team can assist you in liaising with your funding body. If you are a NHS funded student, you are not required to repay any tuition fees. When taking an interruption of study the general principal is that your Bursary entitlement will stop from the first day of the absence. NHS funding can be continued for a maximum of 52 weeks for students on an interruption of study due to maternity leave. For further information, check with Student Advice, or the Money and Advice team within Student Support.

Leaving University » You may be struggling with your course or finding that the course is not what you expected. You can talk to a student adviser in confidence about your situation. Student Advice recommends that talk to your personal tutor about your concerns or if you are unable to contact them, your course director. If you are considering changing or, leaving University or have to repeat a year, we strongly advise to find out about the financial implications on your student finance entitlements. You can access student finance advice from the Advice and Money Team and the University’s own Student Support Centre. You may wish to seek a transfer within the University but this is not an automatic right. If this is the case, you need to approach the admissions tutor for the course and find out if places are available. It is very dependent upon what stage you wish to transfer and at what stage of the academic year you are at in your current course. You can apply for a transfer via SIMS but you must have the agreement of the admissions tutor first.

transfer for you so you need to be prepared to find out your options independently. If you do wish to leave university, you can submit your withdrawal via SIMS. Student Advice urges you to get student finance advice about this before you begin the online process. If you are studying on a Tier 4 visa issued by the UK Border Agency, Student Advice strongly recommends that you seek advice from International Student Support about the implications of withdrawing will have on your visa.

If you wish to transfer to another University, you need to contact the admissions tutor for the course directly. The University will not seek a

What to do next »» You should check the implications of withdrawal on your tuition fees and inform your funding body; »» Your Funding Body will calculate how much financial support you were entitled to for the length of time you were studying. This could mean that they have overpaid you and you might be required to repay some of your grants and loan back; »» If you are an NHS funded student, you are not required to repay any bursary you have received for tuition fees and living costs whilst in attendance; »» If you live in University residences, you will be released from your contract and you only pay rent until the day you hand in your keys or when you withdraw on SIMS, whichever is later; »» If you live in a shared house, you will still be bound by the contract and may need to find a replacement if you do not want to carry on paying rent for the length of the tenancy. You will not be exempt from Council Tax after withdrawing; »» Return your ID card and Council Tax Certificate to Registry, 30-36 Newport Road, Cardiff; »» Return all University library books, pay any outstanding fines or debts.


Attendance and Failure to Engage As a Cardiff University student, you are expected to engage in all aspects of your studies. The Student Attendance and Academic Progress Requirements and Absence Procedures outlines all the University’s regulations about attendance and absence. If you hold a Tier 4 visa, you must meet the conditions of your student visa as the University is obliged to report to the UK Border Agency about student attendance. Short-term absence is the term the University uses for absences of 10 consecutive study days or less due to illness or other circumstances. If you are ill and are unable to attend an exam or submit work, the University will expect you to provide a medical certificate from your doctor rather than a self-certificate.

Failure to Engage Failure to engage is the term the University uses if you have been absent without authorisation for more than 10 consecutive study days, if you have failed to comply with the attendance requirements of your course, or if you have failed to show evidence of intent to engage, such as not submitting required work. You must also ensure you are fully enrolled on your programme of study. You will receive a warning from the Head of School via Registry. However, no warning will be given if you have missed 10 consecutive study days immediately after enrolment.


If you have received a warning from the Head of School seeking confirmation of whether you have decided to withdraw or wish to apply for an interruption of study, your warning will state that continued Failure to Engage will result in your exclusion. If you do not provide evidence that you have been attending your course and engaging with your studies or simply don’t respond to the warning, your Head of School will confirm your exclusion (permanent or temporary) with Registry. You should receive this in writing from Registry and it will be in the correspondence section of your SIMS account. Remember, it is your responsibility to update any changes in your contact details on SIMS. If you are excluded, you have 10 days from the date of the letter to submit an appeal. If you receive any correspondence from the University about your Failure to Engage, you should seek advice from Student Advice. If you have been experiencing personal difficulties and this is why you have been unable to attend your course, you will need to show evidence to support your circumstances. A Student Advice adviser can explain how you can respond to a Failure to Engage warning and how to appeal against a Failure to Engage withdrawal.

University Minimum Engagement Requirements As a student you have to engage with the University by meeting the minimum requirements of the Academic Regulations. »» Register to study with the University; »» Collect your Student Card; »» Confirm your Programme of Study and modules; »» Pay your Tuition Fees; »» Complete your assessments; »» Maintain contact with your Personal Tutor; »» Use the University IT systems. There may be additional requirements for students on placement, registering for a Research Programme or studying under rules of a Professional Regulatory Body. The University will monitor your compliance with the minimum engagement standards through the SIMS records and by talking to your Personal Tutor. The University IT systems will automatically monitor how often your log-in, as an indicator of engagement. If you need to take time away from the University, for more than 10 consecutive days, you should consider applying for an Interruption of Study. Where you fail to meet the minimum engagement requirements, you may be subject to the Non-Engagement with Programme Procedure.


Rules of Behaviour » As a student at Cardiff University, you should not undertake any actions which would damage the reputation of the University. It is important that you understand your rights and responsibilities as a student at Cardiff University. Student behaviour procedure

Investigable Offences

Occasionally some students find themselves in the position of having breached University Regulations, resulting in a complaint about their conduct. If you face allegations regarding your conduct, the University may instigate an investigation under the Student Behaviour Procedure.

An investigable offence is where a student’s behaviour does not meet the requirements of the University. Where this occurs the University will take action. The University will investigate behaviour that appears to be unlawful, unjustifiable, or that may harm the wider University Community or the University’s property, activities or reputation. This includes behaviour which disrupts the functioning of the University or Students’ Union, or the activities of the wider University Community.

A Student Advice adviser can offer you confidential non-judgemental guidance and advice on your situation. It is important that you understand what the allegation is against you and also that you engage with your opportunity to respond. A Student Advice adviser can advise you on what will happen next, the procedures which govern how the University should investigate different types of misconduct and help you prepare your response to an allegation.

Student Responsibilities In order to enjoy the benefits of being a member of the University Community, students must fulfil the following responsibilities: »» to treat all members of the wider University Community with dignity and respect; »» to take personal responsibility for their own behaviour as well as the safety of themselves and others within the wider University Community; »» to engage fully with reasonable University requests, requirements and opportunities; »» to report any police arrest, criminal charge of conviction within 14 calendar days.


T he University Regulations state Examples of “investigative offences” would be: »» Harassment towards university staff and students. This can include bullying other students; »» Damaging university property; »» Seriously disruptive behaviour; »» Unauthorised access to computer systems; »» Posting inappropriate comments on social media sites. This is not an exhaustive list. If you are on a professional course then any breach of the rules of behaviour is likely to be considered under fitness to practice. If a concern about a student’s behaviour is raised the University will conduct an investigation. You will be asked to attend an investigation meeting. If a concern about student behaviour is raised the university will conduct an investigation. You will be asked to attend an investigation meeting.

For minor issues you might be: »» Issued with a warning; »» Be asked to write an apology, reflection or attend an educative workshop. The University might ask you to sign a behaviour agreement.

More serious concerns will be referred to a University Committee. The committee might decide to: »» Restrict your access to University facilities;

Sometimes students are suspended immediately until investigations are complete. As with all procedures you can appeal any decision made. If your behaviour is called into question, seek advice straight away. A student adviser can offer independent and confidential advice and support you through the process. This can include; »» Helping you draft statements and provide evidence to support your case; »» Attending hearings and meetings with you.

»» Temporarily exclude you; »» Permanently exclude you;


Housing Information November 2014 2.

Changing Course » If you are unsure if you are on the right programme of study, there are options available to you. You may be able to transfer to a different course, or to another university. In year transfer »» You can only transfer to a different course within Cardiff University within the first 3 weeks of the academic year; »» Your ability to transfer will depend on your ability to meet the entry requirements and if there is room on the course for you to do so; »» If you are considering transferring to a different university you should contact them to ask about their in year transfer policy.

Deferred transfer

»» After the first 3 weeks of term, if you want to transfer to a different course within Cardiff University or at another university you will usually have to wait to start the new course until the following academic year;

Internal transfer »» You must discuss your request with all the schools involved. If the change involves a Joint Honours programme, both Schools involved in the teaching of the programme must be consulted and in agreement; »» You should contact the Admissions Tutor for the new course to ask about available places and entry requirements. You can find contact details for Admissions Tutors in the online prospectus; »» Once you have spoken with the Admissions Tutor you can apply to transfer through SIMS online. This will then need to be approved by the schools involved;

»» You will have to decide whether to continue with your current course for this academic year, or stop your course and start the new programme in the next academic year;

»» Some Admissions Tutors might also ask you to make a new UCAS application, before they will consider your request to transfer.

»» Your ability to transfer will depend on you meeting the entry requirements and if there are places available on the course.

External transfer

How to request a programme of study transfer When you were admitted to the University it was to study a specific programme. In order to change to an alternative programme the Academic School(s) responsible for the programme you wish to leave and the programme you wish to transfer to must agree.


»» If you are transferring to another University you will most probably have to make a new UCAS application; »» If you are transferring to a different University and want to leave your course at Cardiff University you will need to permanently withdraw from your programme of study through SIMS online. When asked for your reason for withdrawing, choose “Transfer to a different University”.

Revision T ips » Here are our 12 winning tips that will help you score better marks in your exams.

Draw up a revision timetable early

wellbeing. Physical activity increases heart rate and ensures that brain gets more oxygen, increasing productivity whilst reducing tiredness and stress.

»» Start revising as early as possible before your exam. Whether you start months or weeks before, research shows that shorter 20-30 minute revision sessions work best, because your concentration is much higher. We therefore recommend taking short, but frequent breaks. Allocating yourself soft personal deadlines can also highlight the impact of procrastination.

»» You need a place where you can be uninterrupted for a few hours. Your room, local or your school/university library will do. Be careful with the distractions of revising in a coffee shop.

Understand your topic

Get down to it in the morning

»» I  t’s almost impossible to revise content that you fundamentally do not understand. If you’re struggling to get your head around a topic, start with Wikipedia and work your way up through different levels of text book, lecture slides and academic articles.

»» You have to make a start at some point and doing it sooner rather than later is a very good idea. Try to stick to our draft revision schedule and start revising in the morning - research shows that you are more likely to do all the planned work if you start early.

Work out how you learn best

Spice up your revision

»» Everyone learns in a different way and so it’s useful to figure out what method of revision helps you to retain information before you begin revising. Fleming’s VARK model divides people into visual, auditory, kinaesthetic learners.

»» Use a bit of colour! Drawing colourful learning maps will help you to memorise facts. What is even more interesting is the fact that colourful notes are easier to memorise than plain black and white ones. Equally don’t spend too much time making your notes neat and tidy. In addition, many students find sticking revision notes around the house an interesting way of remembering information.


F ind a quiet space

»» Physical activity is very important, in particular during intense study time. Even 30-minutes of moderate exercise after a day of revision will make a huge difference to your


Revision T ips Do plenty of past papers »» Most academic school make their past papers available through the Student Intranet. We would put a lot of emphasis on developing exam technique as well as your subject matter. Simply familiarising yourself with the structure of the exam beforehand can often save you time and help to earn marks.

Make summary notes »» For most people making notes is by far the best way to memorise lots of information. Have you ever got to the bottom of a text book page and not been able to recall what you just read? Making notes over and over again may be incredibly tedious but the most successful candidates often make as many as three sets of the same notes in a run up to the exams.

Reward yourself »» It is not all about the work; you need good breaks too. People who manage to find the right balance between study and leisure are the ones who get the top marks. For instance go to a cinema with friends after a productive day of revision or treat yourself to something sweet. Work hard, play not-quite-as-hard.


Use your friends and course mates »» Some people learn best through auditory conversations. Forming study groups and having conversations with course mates about the academic content can be very effective. In addition, explaining complex topics to flatmates who aren’t experts in the field can be a good way of reinforcing your own knowledge.

T hink positive and look for more support »» Following these tips you will get loads of work done, feel great about yourself and still have plenty of time to relax with your friends and family. If you would like more help and guidance in developing time management, note taking or revision skills we would thoroughly recommend looking at the support available from the Academic and Skills Development Centre and the Skills Development Service in the Students’ Union.

2 Games of Bowling OR 2 Games of Laser Quest   OR 1 Game of Each Valid NUS or Valid Student Card must be provided


£6.95 per person


Showing the



VERY BEST IN LIVE SPORT Call 029 2233 1333 Email:

Stadium Plaza, Wood St, Cardiff CF10 1LA Management reserve the right to remove or change this offer.


Follow us on:

We’re on Snapchat!


Welcome to



Crown Place

Glendower House The Fitzalan

At CRM Students we offer a wide range of student accommodation in Cardiff to suit all budgets. Whether a flat share with friends or your own private studio, we’ve got a room for you. Perfectly located in the city centre near all Cardiff University campuses and local amenities, with great communal facilities on offer, you will find a friendly community with which to share your student experience.

Languages For All Speaking a language broadens your horizons and prospects. It opens up a world of new opportunities, fascinating cultures and exciting career options. Languages for All gives you the chance to start or continue a language you love for FREE. We provide weekly courses, crash courses and autonomous learning, which you can mix and match to suit your needs. We currently offer classes in Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. Applications are now closed for 2017-18 Spring Semester’s weekly courses, but you can apply for many of these languages as a crash course later in May/June. For more information, visit the Student Intranet.

“Studying these languages will open up opportunities for collaboration across the world.” Cameron Avo, BSc Biomedical Sciences

If you want to study a language independently, or get further practice for your weekly or crash course, you can also choose our autonomous learning option. This includes use of University language-learning facilities, recommended online courses & resources, and opportunities to practise outside the classroom such as a language exchange scheme and Language Café, run in cooperation with the Erasmus Society.

“I am currently on an internship for a month within a communications company and during my interview they mentioned how impressive having learning French alongside my degree looked on my CV.” Jess Lockwood, BScEcon Sociology

“It has provided me with a good foundation for Erasmus next year and if it weren’t for LfA, I don’t think I would’ve applied for the Erasmus placement.” Harry Vercoe, MBBCH Medicine


Search ‘Languages for All’ on the Student Intranet

Academic Advice 2018  
Academic Advice 2018