GRADuATE PROGRAMs IN sPORT ADMINIsTRATION, PHysICAL EDuCATION, AND HEALTH
EARN A DEGREE WITH A COMPETITIVE EDGE.
A graduate degree from Canisius College will help keep your career moving forward. You might work in professional sports, sport marketing or sport management. Open the door to a career in college athletics or working with the Olympics. Promote wellness, studying health or nutrition. Or earn your PE certification – on campus or online – and help the next generation get going. Our Jesuit tradition is built on educating the whole person – mind, body, and spirit. So whether you study sport administration or physical education or health, you’ll learn from professors experienced in their fields to give your career a competitive edge. And after graduation, you’ll join an alumni network of professionals who work in hospitals and at colleges, for the NHL and the NCAA, and who will eagerly lend a hand to help you succeed.
fAsT fACT Our Online Graduate Program in Education ranked high in U.S. News & World Report’s first ever ranking of top online education degree programs.
PROGRAMs Of sTuDy School of Education and Human Services
• MS in Physical Education - Initial Certification
• MS in Physical Education - Professional Certification - Online • MS in Sport Administration - Online & On Campus • MS in Health and Human Performance
• MS in Applied Nutrition - Online
• MS in Health Information Technology - Online • MS in Respiratory Care - Online
• MS in Community and School Health - Online
ONLINE LEARNING We offer more than 12 online master’s degree programs, and each has the same quality and rigor as our on-campus courses plus the flexibility of a virtual classroom. For more information and advice about earning a Canisius graduate degree online, visit canisius.edu/readiness.
Faculty & Staff Our faculty members are experts in the fields of health and sports. They hold PhDs in their fields and bring professional experience to every course they teach. This balance between theory and practice gives our professors an edge. In every course, they combine quality instruction with flexibility designed for working adults. So – online or in person – you’ll get a world-class education with a real-world point of view. Get to know them at canisius.edu/faculty.
Alumni Network The strength of the Canisius College alumni network isn’t just that it’s worldwide. Or that its members sit on boards and chair companies and manage NHL teams. Our strength is that our alumni are uncommonly invested in the success of fellow graduates. Take, for example, our Canisius MSA Network: it includes more than 400 alumni and long-standing associations with sport organizations and agencies working to help each sport administration student succeed. And that’s just one program; as a Canisius student, you’ll have a whole college behind you. p
BE PROfEssIONALLy COMPETITIVE. MS in Sport Administration Online – 33 credit hours On campus – 42 credit hours
The Master of Sport Administration program at Canisius College will help you step up your professional game. It’s one of a select few U.S. master’s programs approved by the North American Society for Sport Management. The program will equip you with skills to be an effective manager in a wide range of sport-related enterprises. You might manage intercollegiate athletics, or work with amateur and professional sports teams. Join a sport-marketing firm, manage special athletic events, or undertake the management of sports facilities.
• Start when it works best for you – fall, spring, or summer. • Learn from current leaders in the sport industry with real-world experience. • Gain valuable industry experience through internships, industry case studies, distinguished guest lectures, and trips to conferences. •
Choose from specializations including professional sport, intercollegiate athletics, and sport event management.
Partner with the community through MSA Cares, our vibrant community service program.
• Intern in the sport industry during our program’s capstone experience, anywhere in the United States or even internationally. • Study in a major league city with an array of professional sport opportunities. • Complete your degree in just two years. •
Join our network of 400 alumni that connects internship and job opportunities with sport organizations and agencies across the nation.
WHERE OuR sTuDENTs LEARN AND WORK Atlanta Braves Big Ten Conference Buffalo Bills Buffalo Sabres Cenergy Sports & Entertainment Cleveland Cavaliers Disney Wide World of Sports First Niagara Center Kelly For Kids Foundation Major League Baseball (MLB) Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Miami Dolphins National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) NFLPA/NFL Players, Inc. Octagon Marketing San Francisco 49ers Toronto Raptors Tulane University Villanova University United States Olympic Committee United States Soccer Federation University of Buffalo Yale University Velocity Sports & Entertainment
Find out how Pat Mathews is successful in the business of sports at canisius.edu/profiles. p
GET yOuR EDuCATIONAL CAREER MOVING. MS in Physical Education, Initial Certification On campus – 39 credit hours
Earning your initial certification in physical education will prepare you for a career as a physical education teacher. Our program leads to initial certification in New York – one of the most rigorous state certifications in the nation. Our clinically-rich program will give you real experience teaching every aspect of PE – from team sports to healthy living. You’ll study theory and put it into practice. You’ll research, analyze, test, and synthesize. Our program will prepare you for the real work of teaching physical education – and by the time you have your own classroom, you’ll already be an experienced, certified professional.
• Start when it works for you – fall or spring • Qualify to teach kindergarten through twelfth grade. • Gain practical experience in our clinically-rich program. • Earn your initial New York certification and a master’s degree in a single program. • Enroll in an initial certification program that leads to PE certification in New York and Ontario, Canada. • Complete your degree in four semesters.
fAsT fACT Our program leaads to initial certification in New York – one of the most rigorous state certifications in the nation.
sTuDy PHysICAL EDuCATION FROM ANY LOCATION. MS in Physical Education, Professional Certification Online – 30 credit hours
If you want to help students get moving, choose our online master’s program in physical education. It focuses on K–12 physical education and leads to professional certification for those already initially certified in teaching PE. We designed the program to meet the needs of working professionals – so it can be completed entirely online. You’ll get the flexibility of online study, but the experienced, qualified professors of a prestigious brick-and-mortar college. You’ll learn theory. You’ll research. You’ll take courses in adapted PE, coaching, sport psychology, and health education. Our graduates embark on careers as PE teachers, coaches, exercise and fitness professionals, and conditioning coordinators. It’s just the education you need to hone your physical educational skills.
• Start when it works best for you – fall, spring, or summer. • Prepare for a variety of physical education and fitness careers. • Study in a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education. • Benefit from our association with the American Kinesiology Association. • Join us as a member of AAHPERD, the largest organization of professionals involved in physical education, health, recreation, and dance. • Learn from anywhere – there’s no required residency, making this one of the few fully-online PE programs anywhere. • Complete your degree in four semesters.
Amanda Janosky’s education comes into play on the field and in the classroom. Meet her at canisius.edu/profiles.
INCREAsE yOuR PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE. MS in Health and Human Performance Hybrid – On campus and online 35 credit hours
Earning a master’s degree in health and human performance will give your career a healthy edge. You’ll study rehabilitative and preventative health. You’ll gain field experience without leaving campus, in our state-of-the-art center in Demerly Hall. There, you’ll practice stress testing, see rehabilitation first-hand, and have access to our anthropometric room – where you will learn to measure physical data and improve health. After graduation, you’ll be ready to pursue a career as a cardiac rehabilitation specialist or a stress test technologist, a health promotion program director or a health and fitness consultant, or whatever health specialty suits you best.
• Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation • Healthy Promotion • Strength and Conditioning
• Start when it works best for you – fall, spring, or summer. • Take courses on campus and online through our hybrid program. • Complete your degree in as little as one calendar year. • Practice real research in our state-of-the-art facilities in Demerly Hall.
Our graduates gain field experience without leaving campus. Find out how at canisius.edu/profiles. p
KEEP yOuR CAREER HEALTHY. MS in Applied Nutrition Online – 33 credit hours
Our master’s degree in applied nutrition pairs academic research with clinical experience to strengthen your career. Here, you’ll learn to conduct dietetic research. You’ll evaluate nutritional programs and build a firm base of theoretical and clinical knowledge. By graduation, you’ll be ready to assume a management or administrative position, because applying nutritional understanding to your career will come naturally.
• Obesity and Eating Disorders • Fitness and Sports Nutrition • Business and Entrepreneurship in Nutrition
• Start when it works best for you – fall, spring, or summer. • Earn your degree entirely online. • Understand the principles of nutrition essential for prevention of disease. • Complete a master’s project to integrate knowledge of nutrition with research. • Study in convenient eight-week terms. • Complete your degree in as little as one year.
Our graduates use their degrees in diverse careers. See for yourself at canisius.edu/profiles.
fAsT fACT Canisius College is committed to academic excellence, personal attention and quality education in both our face-to-face and virtual classrooms. We provide our outstanding Canisius College faculty with the support, training, and tools they need to develop rigorous and engaging online courses.
REBOOT yOuR CAREER. MS in Health Information Technology Online – 38 credit hours
Earning a master’s in health information technology will give you an edge in a rapidly-changing field. In our program, you’ll pair knowledge of health care with expertise in information management and technology, wrapped up in understanding of how the business world works. It takes critical thinking and smart decision-making skills. You’ll synthesize information from many different fields and learn to solve problems effectively. And with those skills, you’ll graduate prepared to help organize health information just about anywhere – and that will give your career a technical advantage.
• Start in the fall. • Learn in convenient eight-week terms. • Qualify to work wherever health information is collected – from hospitals to insurance companies to government agencies to health consulting firms. • Earn your degree entirely online, without uprooting your career. • Complete your degree in less than two years. Brandon Brownell continuously sees his education working for him. See how at canisius.edu/profiles.
BREATHE NEW LIfE INTO YOUR JOB. MS in Respiratory Care Online – 33 credit hours
fAsT fACT The Bureau of Labor estimates a shortage of more than 50,000 health information technologists in the next few years.
With our online master’s program in respiratory care you can open new career pathways without taking time out. Though our program is flexible, it’s also rigorous. You’ll learn from experienced professionals. You’ll conduct research and test hypotheses. You’ll learn to pair management skills with practical knowledge to become a leader in your field. If you’re a registered respiratory therapist looking to strengthen your career, this degree will help you become a certified expert in respiratory care.
• Respiratory Therapeutics • Respiratory Care Education
• Start when it works best for you – fall, spring, or summer. • Build on your previous health care experience to keep pace with the fast moving field. • Learn at your own pace online, but learn from qualified, experienced professors. • Take seven core courses and four in your specialty track. • Complete your degree in as little as one year. p
Learn how our professors, like Dennis Koch, PhD, bring professional experience to every course they teach at canisius.edu/faculty.
BuILD A HEALTHy CAREER AND A HEALTHY COMMUNITY. MS in Community and School Health Online – 33 credit hours
Our online master’s degree in community and school health will help you strengthen your career without taking time off. We designed the program for anyone with a bachelor’s degree and a background in health and science. The program combines community outreach with health information – so you’ll gain a foundation of knowledge and skills to share that knowledge with others. And though the online program is flexible, it’s also rigorous – so by graduation, you’ll be prepared to participate in educational services, counseling, policy development, or health care administration.
• Start when it works better for you – fall or spring. • Prepare for a career in health education, physical education, health services, nutrition services, counseling, psychological and social services, health promotion, or family and community involvement. • Earn your degree entirely online, without pausing your current career. • Design your own guided elective course under the supervision of a faculty advisor. • Apply to earn credits for college-level knowledge and skills. • Complete the program in as little as one year.
Our program combines community outreach with health information – so you’ll gain a foundation of knowledge and skills to share that knowledge with others. p
DISCOVER Get ready for online study. Visit canisius.edu/readiness for info and advice about earning a graduate degree online.
FINANCING YOUR DEGREE For details on your program’s aid offerings, visit our website or contact our financial aid office at email@example.com or 716-888-2300.
Visit and apply Whether you’re set on a specific program or still exploring your grad school options, we’d love to help you figure out what comes next. Contact our admissions office to speak with a counselor, set up a visit, or find out more about studying at Canisius College.
contact us Canisius College 2001 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14208–1098 716.888.2545 800.950.2520 firstname.lastname@example.org canisius.edu/graduate