Under review
Down the stretch
Bridgton planners take a look at a proposed microbrewery; officials must wait on ‘local preference’
Inside News
Area high school teams make their final pushes as the playoffs, conference championships near
Page 2A
Page 1C
Calendar 1B, 4B, 9B-10B Classifieds . . . . . . 6D-7D Country Living . . . . . . 8B Directory . . . . . . . . . . 4D Obituaries . . . . . . 8D-9D Opinions . . . . . . . 1D-5D Police/Court . . . . . . . . 3B Sports . . . . . . . . . 1C-7C Student News . . . . . . 8C Arts & Entertainment 11D Weather . . . . . . . . . . . 7D
www.bridgton.com Vol. 143, No. 21
Serving Bridgton and the surrounding towns of Western Maine since 1870. 40 PAGES - 4 Sections
Bridgton, Maine
May 24, 2012
(USPS 065-020)
SIXTY CENTS
HISTORIC MOMENT — Naples and the Lake Region area celebrated the grand opening of the new Bay of Naples Bridge last Friday. Festivities included speeches and a parade, which
included antique cars, as well as the Lake Region High School marching band. See more photos and stories inside this week’s edition. (Photo courtesy of Liz Moseley of Naples)
By Dawn De Busk Staff Writer NAPLES — Two female friends — raised and schooled in Naples, and now retired and wintering ‘away’ — braved this nation’s airports to return to their town of origin for Friday’s festivities. Judy Macdonald and Marilyn Broadhead booked their plane trips north earlier than usual so they could be in town in time
newly installed fire suppression pipes. “I usually come home in June,” Macdonald said. “I flew up earlier ‘cause I’ll never see another one. I’ll never see another bridge built here.” She recalled the small-town gathering when construction was completed on the Swing Bridge in 1954. “Oh, it was nothing like this,” she smiled, turning her atten-
Out with the old, in with the new bridge for the Bay of Naples Bridge ribbon-cutting ceremony. That afternoon as temperatures tipped in at 70 degrees with a really pleasant lake breeze, Macdonald sported a patriotic outfit that might have been saved for Fourth of July revelries. But, Macdonald’s special occasion clothes were freshly unpacked from her suitcase because she had been determined not to miss mid-May’s
opening of the new bridge. “I just got in last night,” Macdonald said as she exchanged yet another happy ‘Hello!’ with locals who knew her. West of the two women, a crowd of a few thousand people gathered on the concrete arch bridge for the first time ever. Behind the multitude, water sprayed both forcefully and gracefully into the sky. That theatrical element showcased the
tion to the vintage cars crossing over that rickety sea-foam-green bridge. “My nieces (Debbie Hansen and Connie Eldridge) kept bugging me to come home for this,” she said, adding that relatives provided her with the details of every ceremonious activity planned for the ribbon-cutting day. Macdonald said the moment she made up her mind to attend
Casco re-awards revaluation bid By Dawn De Busk Staff Writer CASCO — Public participation was strictly limited to 10 minutes by the time elected officials had tackled some of the tough and emotional issues on the agenda, and the clock’s hands lined up at 9:40 p.m. However, this town’s residents had a liberal amount of time to talk — because the Casco Board of Selectmen spent just shy of an hour in a closed door executive session. At the beginning of the evening, Chairman Barbara York cited executive session pursuant to 1M.R.S.A. subsection 405(6) (E), which pertains to rules regarding contract agreement issues. Technically, contracts are regarded like employment, and by executive session policy are treated the same way as personnel issues — not to be discussed in public. The vote to move into executive session was, 3-2, with Selectmen Mary-Vienessa Fernandes and Ray Grant opposed. On Tuesday, when the board emerged from its executive session, some of its members had re-thought their votes that last month awarded the revaluation bid to a company that in the eyes of many community members
had not done the job property owners had hoped for. In a turn of events, the board voted to make null and void the contract with John E. O’Donnell and Associates. In the same motion, the board backed the hiring of Vision Government Solutions for the property revaluation bid as well as a oneyear contract as the town’s assessing firm. According to a spread sheet of the bid prices from four companies, Vision offered to do the property assessment job for $218,500. (This amount is almost $70,000 less than O’Donnell’s bid.) The room broke into applause over the board’s reversal of decision. People said they favored the lower cost, as well as starting fresh with a firm that did not have a contentious past involving local landowners. The new vote was, 3-2, with Chairman York and Selectman Paul Edes sticking by their guns — going with the firm for which they had originally cast their vote. Last month, the board majority had awarded both the revaluation job and a five-year contract to O’Donnell. Tuesday night’s turn of events may very well have been BID, Page A
School budget passes
Voters in Bridgton, Casco, Naples and Sebago went to the polls Tuesday and approved, or validated, the $26,119,080 School Administrative District 61 budget passed by those who attended last week’s budge meeting at Lake Region High School in Naples. Voters in Sebago turned down the validation, with 73 in favor and 84 opposed, for an 11-vote difference. The results, by town, are as follows: Bridgton — 189 Yes, 73 No Casco — 107 Yes, 62 No Naples — 137 Yes, 49 No Sebago — 73 Yes, 84 No Overall, the combined vote of the four member towns was 506 in favor and 268 opposed, or a difference of 238 votes.
the bridge unveiling, she phoned her longtime friend, Marilyn Broadhead, who has a home in Arizona. From there, the two women sealed their plans. During the ceremony, the two friends were among a handful of people who took the walk (or jog or run) back down to the old bridge to see up close the first parade of vehicles that passed over it. Then, they hiked COMMUNITY, Page A
Bigger police presence?
UNINHABITABLE, YET RENTED — In an August 2010 small claims court, a judge ruled this house at 16 Walker Street to be “unfit for human habitation.” Yet its owner, Nelson Henry, has had at least three tenants living there since the court ruling, according to neighbor Paulina Dellosso. Bridgton Code Enforcement Officer Robbie Baker has not been able to get in touch with Henry in order to get permission to inspect the building for code violations, according to Selectman Bernie King. The current tenant, Dana Perry, who moved in two weeks ago with several others, said the house needs some minor repairs, but “it’s nothing I can’t handle.” Dellosso said sewage from inadequate plumbing is draining onto her neighbor’s property, and that Henry should be taking care of maintenance issues himself, and not have his tenants “do his dirty work.” Henry, a dentist living in Raymond, said it’s hard being an absentee landlord. “I’m just not around to fix every little thing,” he said. (Geraghty Photo)
By Lisa Williams Ackley Staff Writer HARRISON — Does the Town of Harrison want to spend just over $100,000, in order to have both a full-time deputy and a summer deputy? Voters will answer that question and two others via secret ballot, when they go to the polls on Tuesday, June 12, which will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. that day. The town has had the services of both law enforcement officers — the fulltime deputy and the summertime officer, in the recent past. However, the selectmen said that, due to citizens’ concerns regarding the overall cost of policing here, they would let voters make the decision as to whether or not to have both. The rest of the town meetPOLICE, Page A
Group targets substandard housing
By Gail Geraghty Staff Writer The same group of residents who banded together to win passage of a Disorderly Housing Ordinance for Bridgton are now targeting the problem of substandard housing and dangerous buildings. The Bridgton Community Crime Watch Committee met May 16 to begin working on a new ordinance that would give local municipal officials more power to go after property owners who habitually violate state laws governing building standards and landlord-tenant rules. In so doing, they have the strong support of at least two selectmen — Bernie King and Woody Woodward — as well as Planning Board member Ken Murphy and Health Officer
Faye Daley. King, Murphy and Daley attended the meeting, and Woodward e-mailed words of support. The crime watch group realized some time ago that the Disorderly Housing Ordinance, enacted in 2006, only addresses one half of the problem — and that disreputable property owners and landlords also need to be held accountable. “I’m tired of seeing landlords get away with abusing and using people — people who are economically disadvantaged,” said BCCW member Paulina Dellosso at the meeting. “It seems our hands are tied because we don’t have a local ordinance.” Crime Watch member Kenton Courtois said he’s frustrated that it appears what state laws do apply regarding build-
ing codes and dangerous buildings are not being enforced. “We file these complaints again and again and nothing happens, and we’re tired of it,” he said. He said he’s made many complaints about trash on the lawn and excessive noise at a rental property next door to his home on Fowler Street. Two landlords, Nelson Henry and Anthony Numberg, were repeatedly cited by the 15 or so people attending as being
the worst offenders. Henry owns fivr residential rental buildings, at 16 Walker Street and 37, 396, 447 and 533 Main Street. Numberg owns rental housing at 33 Wayside Avenue, 3 Fowler Street and 342 Main Street. Crime Watch members say most of these addresses are the source of constant complaints and police calls, as well as complaints of no heat and unsafe living conditions to HOUSING, Page A
The Bridgton News Established 1870
P.O. Box 244, 118 Main St. Bridgton, ME 04009 207-647-2851 Fax: 207-647-5001 bnews@roadrunner.com