Issuu on Google+

PORT COQUITLAM www.tricitynews.com

Tri-City News Wednesday, March 6, 2013, C1

THE TRI-CITY NEWS

March 7, 2013 is the 100th anniversary of incorporation of the city of Port Coquitlam. To mark this occasion, The Tri-City News produced this special section on the city’s history, focusing especially on the city’s early days and the people who laid the foundation for the Port Coquitlam of today...

100


C2 Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Tri-City News

www.tricitynews.com

S POCO PRIDE YEAR OF

1913-2013


PORT COQUITLAM100 www.tricitynews.com

Tri-City News Wednesday, March 6, 2013, C3

Rivers, rails, roads shaped city’s development T

he city of Port Coquitlam owes its development to the rivers that seemingly surround it, the roads and rails that run through it, and the citizens who helped mould its past, present and future. Throughout history, the local rivers sustained the First Nation peoples and the settlers who followed in the 19th century. By 1913 a small farming and logging community called Westminster Junction, part of the District of Coquitlam, was incorporated as the city of Port Coquitlam. At that time, the population stood at around 1,300 in an area of 6,200 acres running eastwest between the Pitt and Coquitlam rivers, and north-south bordering Burke Mountain and the Fraser River. To span those rivers, bridges were soon erected, although in the case of the venerable old Red Bridge over the Coquitlam River, it was a matter of frequent replacement. The original crossing, dating back to the Royal Engineers in 1862, washed away in 1894 in the largest flood on record. The next span was condemned in 1932 and the replacement bridge lasted until 1959. Then, on Oct. 26, 1982, a truck collision with a supporting beam collapsed this structure, and a temporary bailey bridge was laid down, and carried traffic for the next 14 years. The current Red Bridge was dedicated in November 1996. The public could only cross the Pitt River by ferry until March 1915, when the provincial government highway bridge was built. Its replacement was opened with much fanfare in October 1957 and lasted until the current Pitt River Bridge was opened in 2009. Other bridges in the city cross the Coquitlam River at Lougheed Highway (built 1950) and Kingsway

PHOTOS COURTESY OF POCO HERITAGE SOCIETY

Left: Shipbuilding at the end of Pitt River Road in 1918. Right: The Shaughnessy on Lions Park. Avenue (built 1985). The location of the Canadian Pacific Railway marshalling yards in the centre of Port Coquitlam created a definitive northsouth division in the geographical landscape of the city. The downtown business district once centred around the Dewdney Trunk/Kingsway area and it was not until the arrival of the Lougheed Highway in 1950 that Port

Coquitlam began to experience growth. More retail stores and businesses started up along Shaughnessy Street and, by the late 1960s, the old downtown was gone, the victim of urban renewal. By this time, new subdivisions on Mary Hill, Citadel Heights, Birchland and Lincoln had PoCo’s population approaching 20,000. The Shaughnessy Underpass (built 1962) meant motorists no longer had to wait at

Oldest person born in Port Coquitlam: Donald Campbell, born Dec. 28, 1913 the CPR crossing, and the Coast Meridian Overpass (built 2010), which spans the railway yards, connects Port Coquitlam’s north and south neighbourhoods.

Creating Smiles

for Port Coquitlam Families for over 30 years

Elgin Dental Group

Celebrating Port Coquitlam’s 100th birthday with nearly a half century birthday of our own! As a pioneer within the community we are proud to see the City of Port Coquitlam grow and our company grow within it.

Dr. Ron Elloway Inc. BSc, DDS, FICOI

• Member of American Academy of Craniofacial Pain • Assoc. Member of International Association for Orthodontics KINGSWAY

www.elgindental.com

*

L

2267 Elgin Ave., Port Coquitlam • 604-942-9739

N

Y HIL MAR

ELGIN

LOUGHEED HWY.

General and Cosmetic Dentistry Dental Implants • TMJ Therapy

Happy 100th Birthday PoCo!

1

CURVES COMPLETE.

2

3

THE WHOLE SOLUTION THAT MAKES BURNING FAT EASY AS 1, 2, 3.

EXERCISE The 30-minute Curves Circuit

MEAL PLAN

New, customizable meal plans

For Just $14.95 per week (Price reflects 6 month commitment)

Call or visit for your free no obligation appointment!

2239D McAllister Ave., Port Coquitlam 604-944-1303 www.curvestricities.com

COACHING Your Curves Certified Coach

We are proud of our past at Meridian RV Since the 1960’s, Meridian RV has been involved with the RV industry. The business was founded by Doug Ramsay Sr. along with his sons, Doug Jr. and Tom. They built and designed a variety of custom RVs, modular homes, and commercial projects.  Meridian RV continues as a 3rd generation family business. Servicing and looking after our customers’ needs over the years has enabled us to seek out quality products that we are very proud to offer. 

Give us a call or drop by one of our locations - we would love the opportunity to be your RV dealer of choice!  1690 Coast Meridian Road, Port Coquitlam On the Mary Hill Bypass 604-941-8635 www.facebook.com/meridian.rv

5430 Industrial Flats Road, 100 Mile House. Junction of HWY 97 & HWY 24 877-395-3090 www.twitter.com/meridianrvsales


C4 Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Tri-City News

PORT COQUITLAM100

www.tricitynews.com

Pioneers gave PoCo businesses & first mayor J

ames Mars was born in Howick, Scotland on May 8 1870, one member of a family of five boys and two girls. The Mars family emigrated to Canada in 1888 and James, at age 18, learned the skills needed to be a pioneer. He was employed in Winnipeg on Lord Strathcona’s farm until 1892, then he moved west and found work logging in the woods around Tacoma, Wash. In 1896, James Mars’ father Tom Mars had settled in Coquitlam with his family and James soon joined them to build a new life here. Mars had various occupations until 1909, when he began a mercantile business with his brother Arthur, aptly named Mars Brothers and located on the corner of Kingsway Avenue and School House Road (now Mary Hill Road). Mars was elected president of the Coquitlam Agricultural Society in 1910 and Reeve of Coquitlam in 1911. Upon Port Coquitlam’s incorporation on March 7 1913, Mars was elected by acclamation as the city’s first mayor. A month later, the city planned a lavish Inauguration party that took place on April 18. It was quite a busy day for Mayor Mars, who began the proceedings at Junction School by presenting the schoolchildren with keepsake medallions. He then led the parade across town to Aggie Park and took part in a tree-planting ceremony there. He later attended the inaugural banquet and spoke of his city’s bright future to the visiting dignitaries assembled. Although he only served in office for one year, James Mars will forever be immortalized as Port Coquitlam’s first mayor.

Oldest person born prior to Port Coquitlam incorporation: Margaret McLaren (Pollard), born March 5, 1913

LEFT: PHOTO COURTESY OF POCO HERITAGE SOCIETY; RIGHT: TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO

Left: James Mars, PoCo’s first mayor. Right: Len Traboulay, PoCo’s longest-serving mayor, who was in the top job for almost two decades.

Congratulations to Port Coquitlam for its 100 years! from Arthur Murray Dance Studio

(est. 1912)

from Jim Van Rassel &

First Lesson

FR E E!

intment) Start anytime (by appo ed uir req er No partn

#205 - 3242 Westwood St., Port Coquitlam

Happy 100TH Birthday!

604-552-3052

www.dancecoquitlam.ca

Tango • Foxtrot • Waltz • Cha Cha • Rumba • Merengue • Samba • Mambo • Swing • Hustle • Nightclub • Ballroom • Country & Western

A Proud Port Coquitlam Amateur Sporting Association

Centennial SPECIAL 25% OFF your complete set of

DESIGNER EYEWEAR

For Our 25th Anniversary specials visit www.newtrendoptical.ca

JIM VAN RASSEL

604.942.9300

2550B Shaughnessy St., Port Coquitlam Port Coquitlam Minor Baseball Assoc. www.pocominorbaseball.com

w w w. j i m v a n r a s s e l . c a


www.tricitynews.com

Tri-City News Wednesday, March 6, 2013, C5

Happy Centennial Port Coquitlam!

Our History In the early 1970’s the Poco Inn and Suites Hotel was originally built and operated as a small Best Western Motel. In the early 1990’s due to a fire, the motel was rebuilt and reopened for business in 1994. In 1996 under new ownership, we developed the motel into a full service hotel that opened in 1998. In January of 2009 a decision to leave the Best Western franchise and operate as an independent hotel created a whole new chapter for accommodations in Port Coquitlam, bringing our standards to a higher level. We are proud to be part of the community and have enjoyed growing and changing together and look forward to the future!

Poco Inn & Suites

Hotel & Conference Centre Address: 1545 Lougheed Highway, Port Coquitlam Tel: 604-941-6216 Website: www.poco-inn-and-suites.com Email: info@poco-inn-and-suites.com


C6 Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Tri-City News

PORT COQUITLAM100

www.tricitynews.com

Irvine a common name in early PoCo schools T

he history of schools in Port Coquitlam begins long before the city incorporated in 1913. Junction School opened around 1890 on what is now Rowland Park on Wilson Avenue. Miss Belle Dixon was the school’s first teacher for about a dozen pupils, many of whom had to walk or ride in on horseback from as far away as Victoria Drive. Robert Irvine followed Miss Dixon and taught from 1894 to 1899. When his daughter Ada Irvine became principal in 1911, the school had about 100 pupils. It was about this time that the population of the area began to swell with the expected economic boom and provisions had to be made to handle the overload. Before James Park School was built in 1913 on the city’s north side, a tent was erected on the site and a home on southside Langan Avenue was also utilized. The cornerstone for James Park School on Coquitlam Avenue was laid on Nov. 28, 1913, with the total cost of construction being $11,847. The modern state-of-the-art four classroom structure featured automatic heating and up-to-date indoor plumbing. In the first years, only the two lower floors were utilized as an elementary school; in later years, the Port Coquitlam High School, with Grades 9 to 12, occupied the top floors until 1951. The original James Park School was replaced in 1963 with a low-level concrete structure closer to Westminster Avenue and served the community until 2012, when the students packed up their books and moved next door to their brand new school. Central School was built a year later at a cost of $27,934 and opened on Sept. 8, 1914. Located on Central Avenue just east of

Oldest school: Central School, opened Sept. 8, 1914

PHOTOS COURTESY OF POCO HERITAGE SOCIETY

Above: Students of Central School from 1914 to 1924 pose for a photo during a reunion in 1984. Above right: The cornerstone at Central. Below right: A newspaper clipping announcing the opening of a new school in 1959. Shaughnessy Street, the four-room school had Miss Irvine as the first principal, and she taught as well for the next 30 years. Irvine Elementary School, opened in 1969, was named in honour of the Irvine family. Another well-known teacher was Hazel Trembath, who taught at Central as well as Viscount Alexander, and even at the old Aggie Hall due to overcrowding. Hazel Trembath Elementary School was opened in the Citadel Heights area in 1973 in her honour.

Happy 100th Birthday PoCo! from all of us at Luscious Creations

Specialty Cupcakes and Custom Cakes for All Occasions

201 - 2255 Wilson Avenue, Port Coquitlam

10

Cupcakes for $

00

(Regular, assorted. Expires April 31, 2013)

103 - 2227 McAllister Ave., Port Coquitlam 604-464-4668 ~ info@lusciouscreations.ca ~ www.lusciouscreations.ca ~

Shaughnessy Veterinary Hospital Happy 100TH Birthday PoCo!

Celebrating Our Opening with PoCo’s 100TH Birthday! • Infant & Toddler Full Day Care • Montessori Full Daycare • Montessori Preschool, Kindergarten • Part-time Traditional Preschool • School Age Care (K to 5)   Serving: Aspenwood Elementary, Bramblewood Elementary, Panorama Heights Elementary

Caring for your pets with heart and integrity

www.coolvet.com Doctors Leah Montgomery and Ashley Danyluk Shaughnessy Station Mall 2129 - 2850 Shaughnessy St., Port Coquitlam

TRI-CITY

a a

LIST

TRI-CITY

list

F

ou

20 Tri -C i T y n e ws

1

2

av

ia

n

he

T

604-945-4949

PRESCHOOL & DAY CENTRE

Nurturing children to reach their full potential 2ND LOCATION OPENING SOON!

Centennial Special 12

The aforementioned Viscount Alexander School was the first educational facility built in the city in over 37 years when it opened on Sept. 4, 1951 at a cost of $355,000 with Mr. Bill Brand as the first principal. Other schools followed soon after, including Cedar Drive in 1955, Port Coquitlam High School (later Terry Fox secondary) on Wellington Avenue in 1959 and Mary Hill Elementary in 1963. In 2013, there are 19 Port Coquitlam public schools.

rite Veterinar

Proud to support our community and care for its pets!

www.bramblewoodmontessori.com For a personal tour or to reserve space call 604-942-5430 or visit us at 1501 Bramble Lane, Coquitlam

NOW ACCEPTING REGISTRATIONS!


PORT COQUITLAM100 www.tricitynews.com

Tri-City News Wednesday, March 6, 2013, C7

10 key dATes In POCO hIsTORy 1913 — The City of Port Coquitlam is incorporated 1920 — Fire consumes half the business district along Dewdney Trunk 1942 — Local blackouts and air raid drills bring WW2 closer to home 1948 — Flood of the century inundates much of western part of PoCo 1950 — Opening of Lougheed Highway brings more population 1957 — Mary Hill Subdivision brings new growth and density 1962 — Shaughnessy underpass under the CP Rail line opens 1980 — Hometown hero Terry Fox begins his Marathon of Hope 2001 — Pickton investigation begins PHOTO COURTESY OF POCO HERITAGE SOCIETY

2010 — Coast Meridian Overpass opens

Shaughnessy Street in downtown Port Coquitlam during the 1960s.

Port Coquitlam’s (and its neighbours’) population for the last century, from the BC Municipal Census 1921 to 2011: City 1921

1931

1941

1951

1961

1971

1981

1991

2001

2011

PoCo 1,178 Coq. 2,734 PoMo 1,030

1,312 4,871 1,260

1,539 7,949 1,512

3,232 15,697 2,246

8,111 29,053 4,789

19,560 53,073 7,021

27,535 61,027 11,649

36,773 84,021 15,754

51,257 112,890 20,847

56,342 126,456 27,512

– source: bcstats.gov.bc.ca

Happy 100 Birthday Port Coquitlam TH

It has been an honour and a privilege to serve the wonderful community of Port Coquitlam both Municipally unicipally & Provincially.

nd Bev Moulds receives her Diamo . Jubilee Medal, January 25, 2013

Together we have grown to become the Best City on Earth!

Port Coquitlam City Council & Cit y Administrator, 1988

Mike Farnworth, MLA, Port Coquitlam 107A - 2748 Lougheed Hwy., (Corner of Westwood & Lougheed) Port Coquitlam Phone: 604-927-2088

@mikefarnworthbc


C8 Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Tri-City News

PORT COQUITLAM100

www.tricitynews.com

Fox: PoCo’s hometown hero & a national hero I

n September 2012, as the academic year got underway, Fred Fox spoke at his alma mater about the legacy of his brother, for whom the high school is named. Fred had recently gone through the pages of his parents’ old photo albums and uncovered early scenes of his family living in Winnipeg, Man., and Surrey and PoCo. He showed the Terry Fox secondary school kids snapshots of him and Terry in the 1960s at Christmas, dressed alike by their mother, and of Terry blowing out the candles on his 21st birthday cake. Fred was eager to share his memories of Terry, whom he described as an average kid with a big heart and strong will to succeed — and whom later became an international hero. “An average kid”is how many people remember the curly-haired young man with the wide smile who tried to run across the country in 1980 to raise $1 from every Canadian in order to beat cancer, a disease that took part of his leg in 1977 and would claim his life in 1981. People such as his school sport coaches — Bob McGill, Bruce Moore, Fred Tinck and Terri Fleming — and SFU basketball coach Lorne Douglas, as well as friends Doug Alward and Rick Hansen often talk about Terry’s unrelenting drive. “Terry never quit,”Fred Fox said. But it was during his Marathon of Hope that Terry was forced to relent. He had been fighting back the pain in his body, said Fred Fox who saw Terry twice on the road in mid-1980. In 2010, a year before her death, Betty Fox recalled the day Terry called her from Thunder Bay, Ont., to tell her the cancer had returned; he would have to stop running and return home to treat the illness that had spread to his lungs. “It was devastating,”Betty told The Tri-City

Oldest building: JK Cooper Realty office, Shaughnessy Street (once Keith Block, 1912) News. “That wasn’t supposed to happen. He would’ve made it all the way, but... darn.” Canadians rallied and, in February 1981, five months before he died, Terry’s dream came true as $24 million had been collected — $1 for every Canadian. And that September, 300,000 people took part in the first Terry Fox Run at 760 sites, raising $3.5 million. Today, there are still hundreds of Terry Fox Run sites around the world — including four in the Tri-Cities: the Hometown Run in PoCo as well as events on the same day in Coquitlam, Port Moody and Anmore — as well as thousands of school runs across Canada. To date, the Terry Fox Foundation has raised more than $600 million for cancer research, the largest amount in the world for an organization named after an athlete. And“Terry’s Team Members”carry his torch, speaking at schools and raising money for the foundation. They also continue to marvel at his achievement of running a marathon a day on one leg. “It was almost like it was built in him that, ‘I’ve only got a short time to do this,’”Alward told The News in 2005 before the Run’s 25th anniversary.“I guess it was kind of naive to think he could do a marathon a day for 143 days. Now, I know it’s impossible. It’s just phenomenal that his body was able to endure that mentally and physically for so long.”

FILE PHOTO BY CRAIG HODGE

Terry Fox launched a cancer campaign in 1980 that is still vibrant today. More photos, pg. C9.

Full Refund On All Youth Group Fundraisers Full ReFund and FRee PiCKuP for Bottle drives with an AdditionAl $25 for every $1,000 Returned

On behalf of the residents of Coquitlam, we wish to congratulate our neighbours on reaching this important milestone!

• Large room available for on-site bottle drives or we can pick up • We take household paint, solvents, old gas, car batteries, smoke alarms & aerosols

Biggar Bottle

We are looking forward to celebrating with you throughout the year!

Starting Summer Hours 9 am to 6 pm

7 DAYS A Week

Closed Statutory Holidays

gh ne

ss

yS

t.

Lougheed Hwy.

Sh

Kingsway Ave.

au

Westwood

Depot 604.945.3313 Happy 100 th Birthday PoCo 2577 Kingsway Avenue, Port Coquitlam

We’re Proud to be Part of the Community

Mayor Richard Stewart & Council Councillor Brent Asmundson Councillor Neal Nicholson Councillor Mae Reid Councillor Selina Robinson

TROPHY CENTRE

Where Everyone’s A Winner!

#114 - 2071 Kingsway Ave., Port Coquitlam 604-941-4944 www.trophycentre.ca sales@trophycentre.ca

coquitlam.ca

Councillor Craig Hodge Councillor Terry O’Neill Councillor Linda Reimer Councillor Lou Sekora


PORT COQUITLAM100 www.tricitynews.com

Tri-City News Wednesday, March 6, 2013, C9

TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTOS

Terry Fox Runs are held in hundreds of locations all over the world, from (above) Kabul, Afghanistan, where Canadian soldiers have run to conquer cancer to Port Coquitlam (below and right), where the Hometown Run draws thousands every year.

We’re Celebrating!

PoCo’s Centennial & our 8th Birthday! Prizes! OPEN HOUSE

Cheers Port Coquitlam

from us to You on your Centennial Celebration!

Saturday, March 16 10am - 2pm Demos! *New Clients - 1 FREE Circuit or Pilates Class Personal Training - Buy Six get 2 FREE*

778-241-5818

#204 - 2571 Shaughnessy St, Port Coquitlam

A PROUD PORT COQUITLAM BUSINESS FOR 26 YEARS!

✔ Results Driven ✔ Personalized ✔ Cost Effective

Port Coquitlam TRI-CITY

a a Vot ed

o Fav avo F

1

& Liquor Store

2

T

ur e T r i- C i T y n e w s 2 0 d ur ite N oo ite eighbourh y Br P Fav lace for Sunda io t ouri te Outdoor Pa

Locally owned and operated

www.bosleys.com

h

P un ub ch

list

Store Hours: Mon-Sat: 9am-9pm Sun: 10am-6pm

Bosley’s Shaughessy Station #3130-2850 Shaughnessy St., Port Coquitlam 604-944-7594

LIST

ries go

Happy 100 Birthday PoCo! TH

rite in 3 Ca vou te Fa TRI-CITY

1864 Argue St., Port Coquitlam Off the Mary Hill Bypass

604-941-5599


C10 Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Tri-City News

PORT COQUITLAM100

Left: The May Queen and her royal party at Port Coquitlam May Day in 1963. Right: Children dance around the May Pole during May Day in 1929.

www.tricitynews.com

PHOTOs COURTEsY OF POCO HERITAGE sOCIETY

PoCo’s biggest annual party started as picnic T

he 90th Port Coquitlam May Day takes place this year — and it all started as a school picnic by a river. The first local observance of that old English tradition began in 1916, when James Park school principal Enid Cox and teacher Wynter Maxwell decided to have their own May Day in Port Coquitlam since many people could not travel to New Westminster, which had held a

May Day celebration since 1870. Seven years later, in 1923, Women’s Institute president Christina Routley came up with the idea of having Central school come on board with James Park and the first official community May Day was held by the Coquitlam River on Marshall Island. The May Queen that year was Evelyn Mars, a descendent of well-known pioneer Donald McLean. The next year’s event

featured the first maypole dance, the ribbons tied to the woodshed out back. In 1925, the Women’s Institute took over the organization of PoCo’s May Day, something it would do for many years, with many long hours spent decorating cars and bikes and horsedrawn wagons to create floats for the parade.

Oldest business: PoCo Building Supply, founded in 1921 by Roger Galer (it’s still owned by the Galer family)

see POCO MAY DAY, page C11

Mayor Greg Moore and his Family wish Port Coquitlam a

Happy Centennial Celebration!

Discover the warmth and comfort of Amica at Mayfair, for less than you’d think!

Port Coquitlam Incorporation Parade, Shaughnessy St., April 18, 1913

To celebrate Port Coquitlam’s 100th birthday we offer an amazing Centennial Promotion! Please call 604.552.5552 to book your tour and for more details.

Picture courtesy of Port Coquitlam Heritage Society

Greg Moore, Mayor of Port Coquitlam w. www.gregmoore.ca f. www.facebook.com/gregmooredotca t. www.twitter.com/gregmooredotca

Amica at Mayfair A Wellness & Vitality™ Residence 2267 Kelly Avenue Port Coquitlam, BC V3C 6N4 604.552.5552 • www.amica.ca

13-0255

Discover a retirement residence that just feels right, the moment you walk through our doors. Our selection of suites is bright, roomy and private - just add your personality and possessions and you’re ready for a retirement lifestyle that includes delicious meals, fabulous activities, amenities and services. As your needs change, all you need is right here, including à la carte VITALIS™ Assisted Living Services.


PORT COQUITLAM100 www.tricitynews.com

Tri-City News Wednesday, March 6, 2013, C11

PoCo May Day at first was a one-day event continued from page C10

In those days, the May Day parade would start at Essondale, although technically in Coquitlam, but was“adopted,”as so many PoCo people were employed at the hospital and whose school had an entry in the maypole dancing. The parade would wind its way along Dewdney Trunk Road and end up at the Aggie Hall grounds, on the city’s northside. The procession would stop briefly at the War Memorial Cenotaph, when it was located where McMitchell Park is now, and pay their

respects to PoCo’s fallen soldiers. As the city grew, so did May Day, from a one-day event to a weekend, then later to a week-long celebration over two weekends. The parade no longer winds its way to the old Aggie Hall, which was demolished in 1976, and the cenotaph is now located in front of city hall on Shaughnessy Street, where the parade passes now. A lot has changed over the last 90 years, but one thing remains constant: the time and effort that the citizens of Port Coquitlam, young and old, put into its May Day celebrations.

Forrest Marine Ltd. Par t of PoCo’s “Por t” Heritage at 1101 Pitt River Rd., Port Coquitlam

Carrying on the Harvie Forrest Industries Family Tradition since 1946.

TOP LEFT: PHOTO COURTESY OF POCO HERITAGE SOCIETY; ABOVE RIGHT: TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO

Top left: The May Day royal party in 1932. Above: Royal Canadian Legion members march in the 2010 May Day parade. The parade annually draws thousands to downtown PoCo.

Congratulations Port Coquitlam on your Centennial!

We Congratulate Port Coquitlam on their 100 TH Birthday Personalized services for: • Towing • Log Storage • Water Taxi

Office Dock Fax 942-6289 942-5363 464-6280

mwcf@shaw.ca www.forrestmarine.ca

Proud to be part of PoCo’s Celebrations for 15 years! From all of us at Young

Anderson

catering for all occasions

604.941.9773 l o t r e l l @ s h a w. c a

#3 - 1850 Kingsway Ave., Port Coquitlam

w ww.lo t r ellcat er i ng .ca

1616 - 808 Nelson Street, Vancouver, BC V6Z 2H2 Tel: (604)-689-7400 I Fax: (604)-689-3444

www.younganderson.ca


C12 Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Tri-City News

PORT COQUITLAM100

www.tricitynews.com

Long history of PoCo sporting achievement P

ort Coquitlam boasts a long, rich history of sporting involvement and achievement, including not only Canada’s national winter sport — hockey — but also its national summer sport — lacrosse — as well as soccer and baseball. The Dewdney Baseball League operated between 1919 and 1962 and pitted teams from Port Coquitlam against some of the finest men’s squads from around the Lower Mainland. Ruth McKenzie grew up in Port Coquitlam during those early years and recalled baseball as”the sport that mattered in Port Coquitlam.” In the glory years of the 1950s and early ’60s, the local squad often finished atop the standings and won its share of championships. The Port Coquitlam team’s roster included brothers Bob and Doug Rooney, and Frank and Ernie Nick, plus Bill Streifel and Ken Routley, to name just a few. One of the pitching standouts was Fred Sabatine, who in 1956 received the season’s MVP award after losing only one of 17 games. Morley Deans, John Kabatoff and John Jeeves also pitched that year, and the team won the Dewdney League Championship the following year, 1957. Doug Madden was Fred Sabatine’s catcher through most of those years and remembers him pitching back-to-back games on consecutive days against the Central Park team from Burnaby during the playoffs. The Burnaby team’s big slugger was Bill Kinder, who Doug recalled“could whack the ball right out of the park but couldn’t touch Fred’s pitches throughout the games”— and the PoCo team was victorious. Three years later in 1960, the Port Coquitlam team travelled north to Quesnel and defeated

Oldest park: Aggie Park, 1912

ABOVE: PHOTO COURTESY OF POCO HERITAGE SOCIETY; RIGHT: TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO

Above: Port Coquitlam’s championship baseball team in 1957. Right: Lacrosse has long been a popular sport for spectators and young athletes in Port Coquitlam. the Summerland Macs 8-4 to capture the Labour Day Tournament held there. In the deciding game, pitcher Sabatine helped his own cause by getting on base and was brought in by Bob Rooney’s single. The semi-final game that advanced PoCo to the final had pitcher Morley Deans taming the always-tough Kelowna Labatts team that had won the last three previous tournaments. The team celebrated their victory just as the skies opened up and the rain poured down.

Fast-forward half a century or so and you’ll find Sabatine still involved with organizing local sports in the community long after his retirement from CP Rail in 1989. Deans spent 35 years with the Forest Service before retiring in 1996 and Doug Madden had a long career with the PoCo Fire Department before calling it quits and enjoying the quiet life at Logan Lake. Their memories of playing baseball together years ago have stayed with them all their lives.

Centennial celebration fills the air, For PoCo’s 100th Birthday affair. Join in milestone events To highlight and accent Our Community Spirit with flair! . . . a Toast to Our Beautiful City in Celebration of its 100th Birthday! Mike Forrest, Councillor, City of Port Coquitlam

Proud to be part of Port Coquitlam’s Heritage

1755 Langan Ave., Port Coquitlam inals Built by Coquitlam Term13-14 Circa 19

604-941-6563 www.f loralrevelry.com

Happy Birthday Port Coquitlam. Proud to be a part of the community.

Make Us Your Only Call! We can process all glass insurance claims.


PORT COQUITLAM100 www.tricitynews.com

Tri-City News Wednesday, March 6, 2013, C13

CPR’s rail yard made PoCo a company town T

he entry of British Columbia into Confederation in 1871 was achieved with the promise that a transcontinental railway would be built to link the new province with the rest of Canada. Soon after the railway’s mainline reached Port Moody in 1886, a branch line south to New Westminster was opened. Where the railway tracks diverged, just west of the Coquitlam River, a small community named Westminster Junction began to take shape. There is no doubt the Canadian Pacific Railway had the biggest influence on the history and development of Port Coquitlam over the last 100 years. Its decision to develop 500 acres of flat farmland into the largest marshalling yard west of Calgary in 1911 helped spur the rapid growth and development in the area. This interest led Westminster Junction to the decision to incorporate in March of 1913 as the City of Port Coquitlam. For many years, the title“company town” was quite accurate when applied to PoCo as most of the workers in the railroad shops and roundhouse, as well as the crews that ran the trains, lived in the area. The neighbourhoods to the north (Flint Street) and south (Langan Avenue) soon sprang up, with new construction of houses and roads for these workers. It was said that in Port Coquitlam you either worked at Essondale (later known as Riverview Hospital) or the CPR. The local passenger train service was vital for commuting to or from Vancouver, New Westminster and the Fraser Valley. Local merchants would pick up their deliveries of goods down at the CP Rail team track by the station with horse and wagon, long before the days of

Oldest bridge: Canadian Pacific Railway’s swingspan bridge over Pitt River: 1913

PHOTOS COURTESY OF POCO HERITAGE SOCIETY

Above: The Canadian Pacific Railway yard under construction in 1912 (photo from the Coquitlam Star newspaper). Right: An aerial photograph of the rail yard taken in 1976. congested highways and truck trailers. The Shaughnessy Street crossing drew the ire of residents for years as CP trains would block traffic as they shunted back and forth through town. It wasn’t until December 1962 that an underpass was built to alleviate this problem. Times changed and the world moved forward, people became less-dependent on the railways for travel with the mass-production of the automobile after the Second World War.

The airline industry gave a faster alternative to the passenger train and could whisk a traveller across the country in hours, rather than days. Today, Canadian Pacific Railway in Port Coquitlam is a vital transportation corridor that links the port of Vancouver and the Lower Mainland to markets in Canada, the United States and around the world. The old steam engine’s shrill whistle on a cold moonlit evening may be lost forever but still exists in Port Coquitlam’s history.

Family owned and operated Proud to be part of Port Coquitlam • Extinguisher Recharging • Smoke Alarms

• Fire Safety Plans • Earthquake Kits • First Aid Supplies

Lj Eh Bd gR sAfTkI N

BddgRg sAsfATk Lj EhjE R hB fTIkNI N C EC E L

GG

• ASTTBC Fire Inspections

CE

G

24HR Em er 24H 24Rge HRncy EmEm rv iccy erSe e y ger en ge nc Serv Seicrveice

Front FrFr onotnt

Es

t. 1986

E sE s t t . .1 1998866

604 6CCOO60MM0MM4UU4N-NIT9IT--YY994FIFIR44R4E44-PR9--EV992EN22TI44ON22 E P EVENTI42 LTD. COMMUNIT ON LTD. Y FIRE PRREV ENT FIRE PROTEC TION SYSTEM S REC D FIROR E PRO TECTION SYSTE RE

TESTED/

ADDITIONAL

ION LTD.

INSPECTED MS FIRECO SEE LOG WORK ALARD RM SYSTEM TESTED/ FIRE PRO ADDREQ ITIO’DNAL & REP TECTIO N SYSTEMS ORT INSPECTED FIR SEE LOG WORK SM RECOR COAR DOKEEAL NTMROSYS TEM L SYS TESTED/ REQ’D & REPORT TEM ADDITIO NAL SM OK EM E INS ERG CO FIRE ALARMENCY LIG PECTED NTHT SEE LOG WORK ROING L SYS SYS TETEM M TEM SYS REQ’D EMINK & REPORT ERLER GENCY LIG SMOKSPR E CO TEM HTING SYSTEM NTROSYS L SYS SPRINK TEM STA ND LER TEM EMERG E SYS TEM ENCYPIP LIGSYS HTING STAND SYS PIP FIR TEM E E SYS TEM SPRINKLERPUMP SYSTEM FIRE PU PO RTABLEMP FIRE EXTING STAND PIPRT E AB UIS SYSLE PO TEM SPECIA FIRE EXTIN HERS L FIR E GUISHERS SU FIRE PU PPR ESSION MP SPE SYS CIASL FIRE TEM SUPPRESSION SYS TE PORTA MS BLE CROSSFIR EXT COENN ING ECT UIS ION HE CR RS CO ROL OSS CONN SPECIAL FIR ECTIONNT E SUPPRESS CONTROL TECHNICIA SYSTEM STAMPION TESCHNICNIAN STAMP CROSS CONN ECTION CONT ROL Ser.# Ser.# TECHNICIAN STAMP NEXT SERVIC NEXT E DUE SERVICE Ser.# ON OR BEFOREDUE ON OR BEFORE YY M M NEXT SERV DD ICE DU ON OR BEFO E RE DO NO YDO NOTTREM OVEVE REM THTH MO IS TAG UNTIL UN IS TA DG TILNE NEWWTAG IS IS APAP TAG PLIPLI EDED

W

B

Ex

JJ FF M M A A M M J J J J A A S O O NN DD DO NOT REMS OV 20122 UN TIL NEW TAG E THIS TAG 22001133 IS APPLI2ED200 J F M A 1144 ww w M J ww Are S.c re 2011 20 .coJmfi .cOaa N D

2200111

12

www.com 2013 2014 fire.caNext to Tim Hortons

www.comfire.ca I 604-944-9242 I #104 -1320 Kingsway Avenue, Port Coquitlam ,00000 FFiriree E 3300,0 x

& Chevron Extin tingg u is u is h ehreTraTgasgin - 2 // "" x 6 sT inotTaol x 6" "sizseize 30,0---02w ir1e11 itee E w0 x hhitF t p in ta 1pt.t.ta su to ggsgto cis kckher Tags - 2- 3patc 33 4 4


C14 Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Tri-City News

www.tricitynews.com

POCO100

Proud to be part of Port Coquitlam’s

y t i n u m Com it! Spir

History of city hall W

ith the incorporation of Port Coquitlam in 1913, there was an obvious need to build a city hall that would reflect the permanence and stature of the new community. In the spring of 1914, two lots on McAllister Avenue were purchased for $2,000 apiece and local contractor Charles Davies was hired to build the new hall. The brick for the building came from Nanaimo and the“veronastone”was to be supplied from the Hynes Stone and Staff Co., a local business. The building was finished by the fall of 1914 at a cost of around $19,000, which the city had borrowed, anticipating an economic boom that never came. In fact, the second floor remained a dusty storeroom until finished in the 1960s. During the Second World War, the ironwork was removed from the roof in order to install an air raid siren, which could be heard well over two miles away. Up until 1972, the RCMP and its predecessors, the B.C. Provincial Police, used the basement as their headquarters and jail. The city library, under the leadership of librarian Annette LaFleur, was also a tenant in the basement until a new facility was built at Leigh Square in 1962. By 1987, work had begun on a new threestorey addition to the hall, with the new entrance now facing Shaughnessy Street. Still visible today is the city’s original coat of arms, which sits proudly above the old entrance off McAllister. The motto reads:“By commerce and industry we prosper.”

• Petroleum • Industrial • Aviation Equipment Supplies

COMMITTED TO EXCELLENCE Unit 116, 1525 Broadway St. Port Coquitlam 604-945-5550

www.keller.ca

PHOTOS COURTESY POCO HERITAGE SOCIETY

Above: Port Coquitlam’s first city hall until 1914. Below: The current city hall, photographed from McAllister Avenue, in 1985.

“Proud to be a ppart of Po Portt Coquitlam’s History!” Oldest house: George Black house, 2112 Mary Hill Rd., circa 1889

2552 Shaughnessy Street, Port Coquitlam

NEW TRENDS

A proud Port Coquitlam business involved in our community. Happy 100th Birthday!

Get the cutting-edge looks you crave from our expert team of pro stylists We specialize in the New Ombre look for women!

604-942-5955

facebook.com/europeoldfashionbakerydeli

• Hair Styling & Design • Scalp Treatments • Hi-Lites, Foils & Colour • Massage • Facials • Waxing • Nailcare • Body Treatments

Our pampering services are the perfect pick-me-up when you want to look and feel radiant.

2107 - 2850 Shaughnessy St., Port Coquitlam, Shaughnessy Station 604.464.8813

Check out our new website: www.vanityhairsalon.ca

As a life-long resident of our community, it’s a privilege to serve the people of Port Coquitlam on City Council.  Over the last 100 years, countless people have helped build a city that we can all be proud of.  That work continues today.  By working together and staying true to our values, we can ensure that Port Coquitlam’s best days are still to come.  Be a part of it!

Brad West City Councillor, Port Coquitlam

We can take care of your arrangements (pre and at need), with any of our First Memorial locations in the Lower Mainland

SAVE an Additional

10%

by pre-arranging

“We provide care, respect and dignity in your time of need.” Keith Louw

Funeral Director

Sensibly priced funerals & memorial services 200+ seating • reception facility • ample parking • multi-faith facilities

First Memorial Funeral Services Burkeview Chapel 1340 Dominion Ave. Port Coq. 604-944-4128


POCO100 www.tricitynews.com

Tri-City News Wednesday, March 6, 2013, C15 T E A M

Your Neighbourhood Realtor Since 1987

GOLD MASTER MEDALLION CLUB

This section: credits

Helping people come

HOME

n Port Coquitlam 100 is a special section of The Tri-City News

made possible by the advertising of local businesses. n The majority of the articles were written by Bryan Ness of the Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society, with contributions by News reporters Diane Strandberg and Janis Warren, and editing and design by News editor Richard Dal Monte. n Thanks to PoCo Heritage Society for use of its photographs.

Congratulations PoCo on your Centennial!

to Port Coquitlam for over 25 years. www.rodandrhea.com 604.941.3838

Congratulations Port Coquitlam

TM

2 CAN DINE FOR

12.99

$

Enjoy 2 Teen Burgers®, 2 regular fries & 2 regular root beers for the Great Price of $12.99

Expires March 31, 2013

CHUBBY CHICKEN® 3-STRIPS COMBO $7.99 Enjoy 3 Chubby® Chicken Strips,

regular fries & regular Root Beer® for only $7.99.

Expires March 31, 2013

1 coupon per customer please. Not valid with any other promotional offer. No cash value. (Valid at 2536 Shaughnessy St. ONLY). Price plus tax.

PAPA BURGER COMBO $7.99

®

Enjoy a Papa Burger®, regular fries & regular Root Beer® for only $7.99.

Expires March 31, 2013 1 coupon per customer please. Not valid with any other promotional offer. No cash value. (Valid at 2536 Shaughnessy St. ONLY). Price plus tax.

1 coupon per customer please. Not valid with any other promotional offer. No cash value. (Valid at 2536 Shaughnessy St. ONLY). Price plus tax.

10 PIECE CHUBBY CHICKEN BUCKET® Only $14.99

Expires March 31, 2013

time Irene Fenton with long

on Len Traboulay, Jim Fent customer, Former Mayor

PHARMASAVE Port Coquitlam and the Fenton family have been proudly serving Port Coquitlam since 1970 and two of our pharmacies have been operating in Port Coquitlam for over half a century.  We would like to congratulate Port Coquitlam on your 100th birthday.  We look forward to serving your health and wellness needs for many years to come.

1 coupon per customer please. Not valid with any other promotional offer. No cash value. (Valid at 2536 Shaughnessy St. ONLY). Price plus tax.

Valid only at 2536 Shaughnessy Street, Port Coquitlam

Brad Fenton, Jim Fenton , Dari n Fenton

3 LOCATIONS IN PORT COQUITLAM

3295 Coast Meridian Road #120 - 2627 Shaughnessy Street #100 - 2255 Elgin Avenue

www.pharmasave.com

www.pharmasavepoco.com

Family owned and operated for over 80 years

Proudly growing and pedaling good clean fun in Port Coquitlam for over 70 years

www.westwoodcycle.ca

TRI-CITY

a a

LIST

TRI-CITY

list

3066 St. Johns St., Port Moody

3590 Westwood St., Port Coquitlam

Fa

he

20 Tri -C i T y n e ws

vo u

1

2

604-941-7822

T

604-461-2453

r i te B i ke S t o

re


C16 Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Tri-City News

www.tricitynews.com

PORT COQUITLAM EURO-RITE FC

DREAM KITCHEN RAFFLE

Sunday, March 10 at 1:00pm GRAND PRIZE - Euro-Rite “DREAM” Kitchen 2ND PRIZE - Weekend in Las Vegas for 2 Travel services provided by Maritime Travel (valued at $1,500)

3RD PRIZE -

Vancouver Whitecaps Season Tickets for 2 (valued at $1,200)

DRAW DATE: March 10th, 2013 1pm at Gates Park, 2215 Reeve Street, Port Coquitlam. 20,000 - $5 tickets printed. Winners consent to the release of their names by the licensee. Port Coquitlam FC Soccer Association, 604-944-2901, BC Gaming Event Licence #47102

PoCo Euro-Rite FC JAMBOREE March 9 & 10 Gates Park 2215 Reeve St. Port Coquitlam

• 1000 + local soccer players • 200 + Soccer Games • Fun Games, Food & Activities • Join us!

PoCo Euro-Rite FC would like to thank their sponsors & supporters for their continued support!

Please come out and support KidSport’s Bi-Annual used Sporting Goods Sale, Saturday, March 9th, 10:00am - 2:00 pm at Riverside Secondary in Poco.

For more info, visit www.kidsporttricities.ca

Soccer Registration OPENS Mar. 9/13 www.pocosoccer.com


Special Features - PortCoquitlam_Centennial_2013