SCHOOL DISTRICT’S 100K CLUB NAMED
page
5
PREMIER PONDERS BLACK INK, OIL
page
6
MID CENTURY MAKES A BIG MOVE
page
8
WEDNESDAY
DECEMBER 19 2012 www.newwestnewsleader.com
You sent us your Christmas pet photos, and now it’s time to share them with everyone. See Page A13 + A16
Putting the brakes on the ’boro City wants a closer look at density in rapidly growing neighbourhood Grant Granger
ggranger@newwestnewsleader.com
MARIO BARTEL/NEWSLEADER
With the Pattullo Bridge now the closest free alternative for motorists seeking to cross the Fraser River without paying tolls, there are fears the traffic through New Westminster will increase.
Is New West traffic getting worse? Some residents say Port Mann toll already causing more problems on city streets
Grant, who timed her trip that should take 10 minutes at 37 minutes one morning. “I could actually run it faster.” Ever since it was announced the new Port Mann would be tolled there have been fears New Westminster would become even more jammed as commuters shifted to the Pattullo, Alex Fraser and Queensborough bridges as alternatives. There was quite a bit of Twitter chatter last week to suggest that fear is becoming reality. New Westminster resident Jason
Grant Granger
ggranger@newwestnewsleader.com
Kelly Grant is so frustrated with her commute through New Westminster from Victoria Hill to Richmond since the Port Mann Bridge was tolled Dec. 8, she believes she’d be better off leaving her car in Queensborough. “It’s been gridlock every single morning. It’s been insane,” said
99
$
Painting Starting At
00
* PER ROOM
3 room minimum. Paint & labour included. Ask for details.
Vanderhill commutes across the Pattullo Bridge, going against the rush hour traffic. It hadn’t been a difficult trip for him until last week, he says. And he’s noticed the increase in traffic going the other way as well. “It is no longer smooth sailing. Southbound lanes into Surrey at that early hour are already busier, and northbound lanes have been notably bogged down,” wrote Vanderhill in an email to the NewsLeader. “Starting next year, I will no longer be commuting across the bridge.”
Ken Bourdeau, who recently received an urban planning degree, has a bird’s eye view from his top-floor high-rise apartment near Moody Park. “I’ve been noticing quite a bit of a difference in the traffic lately,” said Bourdeau. “During rush hour it’s just bumper-to-bumper traffic up and down Stewardson (Way) and Eighth Avenue. There used to be breathing room between the cars, but now it’s more bumper to bumper.” Please see ’BORO, A3
We only use low VOC and ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY paint BOOK TODAY
604.803-5041
www.benchmarkpainting.ca
Brent Klemke OWNER/ MANAGER
Plans for nearly 120 townhouses in Queensborough have been put on hold while New Westminster city council considers putting the brakes to the area’s density. An application to change the Official Community Plan (OCP) for two large lots on Salter Street did not get initial approval last Monday because councillors want to first take a look at growth in the area. New Metro Holdings of Vancouver wants the OCP change for 620 and 702 Salter from residential low density to medium density. The company has proposed 54 townhouses at 620 Salter and another 63 at 702. Historic Hansen House (1912), would be retained as part of the project at 702 Salter and converted into two additional residential units. “Some councillors feel there is too much density in that area,” said Coun. Bill Harper. “Part of my problem when looking at Queensborough is the density and the traffic.” Please see SOME, A4