Page 1

OPTIONS A guide to care and independent living


Winter 2016

Leaving hospital What’s next?

NHS continuing healthcare Who’s eligible?




Healthcare services Choosing the right one

CONTRIBUTORS: Age UK Birmingham Alzheimer’s Society Heart of England NHS FT NHS Choices


Contents Keeping well this winter................................................ 4 When should you go to Hospital?................................ 5 Preparing for a Hospital stay...................................... 6-7 During your Hospital stay........................................... 7-8 Leaving Hospital............................................................ 8 NHS continuing healthcare.......................................... 12 Assessment for NHS continuing healthcare................ 13 What is NHS-funded nursing care?.............................. 14 The Motability Scheme................................................ 15 Paying for permanent residential care.................... 16-17 Paying for temporary care in a care home................... 17 Paying for care if you have a partner........................... 17 Personal budgets and direct payments – more control over your care..................................... 17 Care services in your home.................................... 18-19 The Care Quality Commission Social Care, GP and Mental Health top tips............................... 20-22 How to use your health services.................................. 23 Going home from hospital? Age UK Birmingham are here to help..................................................... 24-25 Alzheimer’s Society Services in Birmingham............ 26-27

Hospital outlook from Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust Introduction Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest hospital Trusts in England. It includes Heartlands, Solihull and Good Hope hospitals, along with Community Services and Birmingham Chest Clinic. Last year we: • Received 261,225 A&E attendances • Supported 9,989 births • Fulfilled over 1m outpatients appointments

NHS Hospitals and services in Birmingham.................. 28 Useful contacts........................................................... 29




Keeping well this With winter fast approaching, follow these top tips to help you stay warm and well and to help you beat the winter bugs, seasonal flu and sickness viruses: • Have regular hot drinks and eat at least one hot meal a day if possible. Eating regularly helps keep energy levels up during winter. • If you have reduced mobility, are 65 or over, or have a health condition such as heart or lung disease, you should keep your home well heated. Use a thermometer to check rooms are at least 18°C and make sure gas heaters and boilers are serviced. • The cold weather becomes a breeding ground


for cold and flu and can make people very sick. If you are 65 or over, pregnant or suffer from a chronic disease you can protect yourself from the flu virus by having a vaccination, available from your GP or local pharmacy/supermarket. If you have a long-term respiratory condition, shortness of breath can get worse in the winter, so you need to have the jab. • Your local pharmacy can also give you advice and over the counter remedies for diarrhoea, minor infections, headaches, coughs, colds and flu. • If you get a cold or even flu, you can prevent germs spreading by using a tissue when you sneeze. Once used, put the tissue in the bin and wash your hands to remove germs. • Regularly washing your hands with soap and water, will help avoid bugs, sickness and diarrhoea. Washing fruit and veg before eating or cooking will also help wash any germs away, as well as providing your five a day! • If you need to travel, remember that pavements and roads can be slippery in the winter weather. Take extra care if you go out, and wear footwear with good grip on their soles. If you’re travelling by car, you should wait until the roads have been gritted. • Check on your neighbours to make sure they are warm, well and safe. If you are worried about your health or that of someone you know ask your GP or pharmacist or call the NHS on 111.


When should you go

to Hospital?

Patients should receive the right treatment at the right place and by the right professional. Hospitals are the right place to be when you are in need of specific medical or surgical treatment. Acute hospital services are for people who require emergency, medical or surgical treatment within a hospital environment.


Preparing for a

Hospital stay Within three days before coming to hospital

On the day

Please call the number on your admission letter to discuss whether you are well enough for treatment if you have had any of the following in the three days running up to your admission date:

- the name, address, postcode and telephone number of your GP

• exposure to an infection such as chickenpox, measles, mumps or rubella

- your glasses/contact lenses (labelled with your name)

• signs or symptoms of such infections

- toothbrush (not electric) and toothpaste

• a cough or a cold, or other breathing or chest problems • any other illness, such as sickness or diarrhoea Make sure you also check your admissions letter for all the details you may need to know such as where to go when you arrive and for any special instructions, for example not eating or bringing a urine sample. It is a good idea to phone the hospital on the number on your appointment letter to make sure everything is ready for your arrival. Bring your admission letter with you and if you have any questions or concerns, write them down and bring them with you too.

Planning your journey There are good public transport links to the hospital. Disabled parking is available to blue badge holders but it is limited. Other car parking is available and also limited and our parking tariffs are available at We encourage travel by public transport and bus routes are also available on our website. We also have bike shelters that can be used by patients and visitors on all our sites too. 6

Please check you have:

- small amounts of money for newspapers, television or telephone - nightclothes, dressing gown and slippers - comfortable day clothes/clothes you can wear on your journey home

- a brush or comb, flannel and a towel - Your medicines - you might take a lot of different medicines, both prescribed and bought from retail outlets and

pharmacies. They can often change, especially when you visit the doctor, have a hospital admission or visit the pharmacy. Bring all of the medicines you are currently taking or using with you. You may receive a green bag either from your GP, in one of our hospitals via our emergency departments or in an ambulance. Please use the bag to keep all of your medicines in. It will also help us to see what medicines you are already taking. You may be seen by the consultant in charge of your care, or another doctor who works on the consultant’s team. Ask the consultant or doctor to

explain anything that you don’t understand, and discuss anything that is worrying you. Any proposed treatment will be clearly explained to you, so that you can find out any risks or alternatives before you decide whether to agree to it. If you are staying with us, you will usually be on a ward that specialises in the care of the condition or illness you have. The other people in your bay will be the same sex as you, however, the ward may have people of different sexes in it. There are toilets and bathrooms nearby that are for people of your sex only.

During your Hospital Patient safety video on all patient bedside screens As part of our on-going commitment to harm free care, we have a patient safety briefing video available to any patient registered on the hospedia bedside system. The video includes advice about simple things that patients can do whilst in hospital to reduce avoidable complications – such as blood clots, pressure ulcers, or falls. To watch the video, simply click on the yellow main menu button on the


hospedia screen and click on the information tab.

How to reduce the risk of catching or spreading an infection in hospital • Use the body and hair wash provided by the Hospital when you are admitted. Our wash contains octenidine which is proven to prevent hospital acquired infections and MRSA from being carried on the skin. • Keep your hands clean. Wash your hands before you eat a meal. If you cannot get out of bed, ask a member of staff for help in cleaning your hands. • Make sure you always wash your hands after using the toilet. If you use a commode ask for a bowl of water to wash your hands afterwards. • Try to keep the top of your locker and bedside table free from clutter. If you or your visitors see something that has been missed during cleaning, report it to the nurse in charge and ask for it to be cleaned. • Always wear something on your feet when walking around in hospital.

>> 7

Dementia Support If you have dementia, our hospital staff will provide support for you and your relatives and carers. You will receive a document called ‘All About Me’ which asks for details about your specific needs and personal preferences. Open visiting forms part of the Trust’s aim to make the hospitals more dementia friendly by giving more flexibility for relatives and carers to visit their loved one at a time that suits them and have an active role in their care.

Here to help If you or your family has any questions, concerns or wish to understand more about what is happening at any stage during your stay, please speak to your nurse, doctor or other member of staff involved with your/their care. Contact: 0121 424 0808, email:



Hospital Patient discharge - getting you back home We aim for patients to be discharged as soon as possible on the day they are to be discharged. This means you may move to one of our discharge lounges. These are located within our Hospitals and staffed by nurses. Relatives or carers coming to collect you can meet you in the discharge lounge or a nurse can escort you to the main reception area. All staff will work with you and your carer and/or family in order to discuss your discharge with you. We can discuss any concerns at the earliest opportunity such as your safety at home or mobility. You will be given an expected date for discharge based on when it is expected that your treatment will be completed. It is important that everyone involved is aware of this date so that we can all work towards it and so the necessary arrangements to get you home can be made.


Wyndley Grange 2 Somerville Road, Sutton Coldfield B73 6JA

Recently Extended Nursing Home Providing Care For The Elderly ❙ En-suite Facilities ❙ Passenger Lift ❙ Disabled Facilities ❙ ❙ 24hr Nursing/Dementia Care ❙

0845 099 5001



continuing healthcare NHS continuing healthcare is a free package of care for people who have significant ongoing healthcare needs. It is arranged and funded by the NHS. You can receive NHS continuing healthcare in any setting outside hospital, including in your own home or in a care home. If you receive care in your own home, the NHS will cover the cost of the support you need from health professionals and the cost of personal care which can include help with washing and getting dressed. If you receive NHS continuing healthcare in a care home, the NHS will also pay your care home fees.

Eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare When assessing your eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare, staff must follow certain processes. You must be assessed by a team of healthcare professionals as having a ‘primary health need’ for care. This means that you need care primarily because of your health needs. This is assessed by looking at: • t he type and particular characteristics of your needs • how intense and severe they are • the complexity of your needs •h  ow unpredictable your needs are; including any risks to you and others if adequate and timely care is not provided Eligibility is always based on these needs, rather than any particular diagnosis or condition.

When should I be considered for NHS continuing healthcare? If you have ongoing health needs, there are times when staff should consider whether you may be eligible. 12

These include: • when you are ready to be discharged from hospital and your long-term needs are clear • once a period of intermediate care or rehabilitation following a hospital stay have finished and it’s agreed your condition is unlikely to improve • whenever your health or social care needs are being reviewed as part of a community care assessment • if your physical or mental health deteriorates significantly and your current level of care seems inadequate • when your nursing needs are being reviewed. This should happen annually if you live in a nursing home • if you have a rapidly deteriorating condition and may be approaching the end of your life In these circumstances, your discharge staff, staff co-ordinating your intermediate care, GP or a member of the social work team should raise the issue of NHS continuing healthcare and assess your eligibility. If they don’t, make sure you ask for an assessment.

Assessment for NHS continuing healthcare You should be fully involved in the assessment and have your views taken into account. You can ask a relative or carer to help and support you throughout the process. Most people will start by completing a checklist. This assesses your needs and indicates whether or not you should have a full assessment. If you’re referred for a full assessment, evidence will be collected from all relevant health and social care professionals to give a full picture of your physical, mental health and social care needs. Then a team of health and social care professionals involved in your care will look at this evidence and recommend whether or not you’re eligible. You and / or your representative can attend and participate at this meeting.

If you are eligible The team will forward their recommendation to the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) that is responsible for funding your care. The CCG will then discuss and agree a care and support package with you. This care and support package will be reviewed after 3 months and then at least every year. If your care needs change, your funding arrangements may also change.

therapies, personal care and equipment. If you choose this, you will develop a care plan with your NHS team that will meet your personal health and wellbeing needs. See NHS Choices for more information about Personal Health Budgets.

If you’re not eligible If you’re not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, you’ll be referred to your local authority to decide whether you’re eligible for help to arrange or pay for care. However, you may be eligible for NHS-funded nursing care.

If you’re not happy with the decision If you’re turned down, you should be sent a letter telling you why. It should also tell you what steps to take and who to contact if you’re unhappy with the decision. • If you weren’t given a full assessment, you can ask the CCG to reconsider your case. If you are still dissatisfied you can use the NHS complaints system to pursue your case. • If you’re not happy after a full assessment, you can ask for the CCG to reconsider its decision. If you are still dissatisfied, you can ask for an independent review of your case. • If you’re not happy with any help you receive from the NHS, you have a right to complain. Details of the complaints procedure are available from the relevant organisation.

Personal Health Fast Track If you are approaching the end of your life, you Budgets If you’re eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, you have the right to a Personal Health Budget. Personal Health Budgets allow more choice and control over the services and care you receive and can be used to pay for a wider range of items and services, including

may be eligible for ‘fast tracking’ which allows you to bypass the full assessment process mentioned above. You must have a rapidly deteriorating condition that may be entering a terminal phase. If you’re eligible, a care package should be put in place as soon as possible, preferably within 48 hours. Age UK has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does Age UK endorse any of the products or services.

Content supplied by:


What is NHS-funded nursing care? NHS-funded nursing care is care provided by a registered nurse for people who live in a care home. The NHS will pay a flat rate contribution directly to the care home towards the cost of this registered nursing care.

Who is eligible for NHS-funded nursing care? You may be eligible for NHS-funded nursing care if: • y ou are not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare but have been assessed as needing care from a registered nurse • y ou live in a care home registered to provide nursing care

How will my needs be assessed? You should be assessed for NHS continuing healthcare before a decision is made about whether you are eligible for NHS-funded nursing care. Most people don’t need a separate assessment for NHSfunded nursing care. However, if you do need an assessment or you haven’t already had one, your clinical commissioning group (CCG) can arrange an assessment for you.

Outcome of the assessment If you’re eligible for NHS-funded nursing care, the NHS will arrange and fund nursing care provided by registered nurses employed by the care home. Services provided by a registered nurse can include planning, supervising and monitoring nursing and healthcare tasks, as well as direct nursing care. If you’re not eligible for NHS-funded nursing care and you don’t agree with the decision about your eligibility, you can ask your CCG to review the decision.

What is the rate of payment for NHS-funded nursing care? NHS-funded nursing care is paid at the same rate across England. For 2015/16, the rate is £112.00 a week (standard rate). Before October 1 2007, there were three different levels or bands of payment for NHS-funded nursing care – low, medium and high. If you moved into a care home before October 1 2007, and you were on the low or medium bands, you would have been transferred to the standard rate from that date. If you moved into a care home before October 1 2007, and you were on the high band, NHSfunded nursing care is paid at a higher rate. For 2015/16, the higher rate is £154.14 a week. You’re entitled to continue on this rate unless: • you no longer have nursing needs • you no longer live in a care home that provides nursing • your nursing needs have reduced and you’re no longer eligible for the high band, when you would change to the standard rate of £112.00 a week, or • you become entitled to NHS continuing healthcare instead. Content supplied by: NHS Choices has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does NHS Choices endorse any of the products or services. All figures correct at the time of going to print.


The Motability Scheme The Motability Scheme allows some disabled people getting DLA, PIP or War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement to obtain a car, powered wheelchair or scooter. The scheme uses some or all of your mobility benefit payments to cover the cost of “contract hire” or “hire purchase” of an appropriate vehicle. You can also pay an extra amount of money if you want a more expensive vehicle. With hire purchase, the price of the car will be agreed directly with the Motability dealer, and you will own the vehicle outright at the end of the agreement. With contract hire, you won’t own a vehicle, but you will get a new car every three years, full

insurance for the driver and passengers, servicing, maintenance and repairs, vehicle excise duty, replacement tyres and breakdown cover. Adaptations to the car can be made if needed, although there may be an extra charge for some adaptations. Under the Motability Scheme, cars can also be adapted for people in wheelchairs. If you don’t need or want a car, you can transfer your allowance to lease a scooter or powered wheelchair.

NHS Choices has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does NHS Choices endorse any of the products or services.

Content supplied by:

Contact Motability You can get in touch by completing an online form, calling our Customer Services team on the number below, or contacting our Scheme partners directly. Tel: 0300 456 4566 8am-7pm Monday to Friday; 9am-1pm Saturday (Monday 9am-11am is our busiest period. You may find it easier to call outside these times.)

If you have specialist Minicom equipment, call our textphone number on 0300 037 0100 or speak to us through a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter. 15

Paying for permanent Lots of people worry about paying for care for themselves or for a loved one. Most people will be expected to pay something towards the costs. If your care is being organised by the local authority, then the main steps of the process are: 1. Your local authority will firstly do a care needs assessment to identify what help you need. 2. They will make recommendations about your needs and whether or not you need residential care – this is called a Care Plan. 3. They will then work out a budget to ensure you get what you need – this is called a Personal Budget. 4. Then, they will do a means test, also called a financial assessment, to work out how much you should pay towards your care home fees and how much they will cover. If your care is arranged by the NHS or social services, you may not have to pay for some or all of the care. For more information, see our page on NHS continuing healthcare.

What does the means test look at? The means test will look at your capital and income, such as your savings and your property. Certain types of income, such as money from certain benefits and pensions, may not be counted. If you and someone else jointly hold capital, such as a savings account, it’ll be treated as divided equally between the two of you. 16

residential care

In some circumstances your home won’t be included in the means test, for example, if your partner still lives there.

What if I give away some of my money? You may be thinking about giving away some of your savings, income or property to avoid higher care costs, and to give something to your relatives or charity, for example. If the council thinks that you have done this to avoid paying care fees they may still assess you as if you still had the money or property that you have given away. This is referred to as deprivation of assets.

What amount of capital will make me eligible to pay for my care? Amount of your capital, savings and income Over £23,250 Between £14,250 and £23,250 Less than £14,250

How much you have to pay You must pay full fees (self-funding) Your fees will be calculated on a sliding scale You won’t have to pay fees

After the means test the local authority should give you a written record of their decision of what you will have to pay and what they will pay, and how they calculated it.

What if I prefer a more expensive care home than the local authority will pay for? If you’d prefer to live in a care home that costs more than the local authority would usually expect to pay, it can arrange this, provided that someone else is willing to meet the difference in cost. This is usually known as a top-up or third-party payment. You could also choose a care home in another area to be closer to family or friends. Find out more about having choice of accommodation.

How do I pay my part of the fees? Generally the local authority will pay the full amount to the home and collect from you the

amount that you need to pay. This may be different if you are paying a ‘top-up’ fee.

What if I run out of money? If you are paying fees yourself (called selffunding) and your capital goes down to under £23,250, the local authority may assist with funding. You should request an assessment a few months before that happens. They should arrange one as soon as possible so you don’t have to use up your capital below that amount.

Paying for temporary care in a care home Local authority charging rules differ when a stay in a care home is temporary, rather than permanent. Some people go into a care home on a temporary basis to give themselves or their carers a break‚ or while they are recuperating from an illness. Others enter a home temporarily for a ‘trial’ period to decide whether they want to live permanently in that home. A more detailed account of the charging rules can be found in our factsheet Paying for temporary care in a care home. This factsheet is aimed at individuals who are aged 60 and over.

Paying for care if you have a partner Being part of a couple can affect a care home resident’s eligibility for local authority assistance with care home fees and both partners’ eligibility for social security benefits during the period in care. We have produced a factsheet that addresses this issue and includes sections on the valuation of jointly owned capital, temporary admissions and where both members of a couple go into a care home.

Age UK has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does Age UK endorse any of the products or services. All figures correct at the time of going to print.

Content supplied by:

Personal budgets and direct payments - more control over your care Direct payments When your personal budget is paid directly to you this is called a Direct Payment. Direct Payments allow you to arrange your care as you wish. There are rules about what you can and can’t use direct payments for. The money must be used to meet the eligible needs identified in your assessment. You can use direct payments for anything that meets those needs, for example: • employ your own care workers • buy services from a voluntary or private agency • buy equipment or pay for home adaptations • purchase other types of support to meet your assessed needs • get to a café to meet your friends, a place of worship, or other places that are important to you. You can be personal and creative with your budget. For example, if one of your assessed needs is help with shopping, you could pay for someone to help you go shopping yourself rather than just pay someone to do it for you. You can’t use direct payments to: • pay a spouse, civil-partner, live-in partner, or a close relative who lives in the same household as you to care for you (although there may be exceptions to this) • buy services from your local council • pay for permanent care in a care home. You can, however, pay for a short stay of up to four consecutive weeks within any 12-month period if that meets an assessed need. Not everyone will feel comfortable or capable of managing their direct payments themselves, and you don’t have to if you don’t want to. You can always choose the option for the council to arrange care for you, and you can still have a say in what will best meet your needs. 17

Care services in If you need help around the home, a good option is to have a care worker come in to your home to help you.

Types of care and support Care and support comes in many forms and has many names used to describe it, including home help, care attendants and “carers” (not to be confused with unpaid family or friends who care for you). Care and support can suit you if you need: • personal care, such as washing or dressing • housekeeping or domestic work, such as vacuuming • cooking or preparing meals • nursing and health care • companionship Care and support can be very flexible, in order to meet your needs, and the same person or agency may be able to provide some or all of these options for the duration of your care: • long-term 24-hour care • short breaks for an unpaid family carer • emergency care • day care • sessions ranging from 15-minute visits to 24-hour assistance and everything in between If you already know what you want, you can search NHS Choices directories for: • local care and support services and agencies • a list of national care and support organisations • services that can help you stay safe and well in your home on a long-term basis; these services, often known as “supported living services”, can include financial, help with medication, advocacy, social and practical support • a place to live in a family who will care for you, known as “shared lives services” or adult placement services If you believe that you might benefit from some help at home, the first thing to do is to contact your social care department to ask for an assessment of your care and support needs. To contact social care, go to GOV.UK: find your local authority. If you are eligible for care and support services, the local authority may provide or arrange the help 18

your home

themselves. Alternatively, you can arrange your own care, funded by the local authority, through direct payments or a personal budget. If you have chosen direct payments or a personal budget, or you aren’t eligible for local authority help and want to get care privately, you can arrange it in several different ways.

Independent care and support agencies If you use an independent care and support agency, you or the person you’re looking after has to find the care agency and pay them. The agency will provide a service through a trained team of care workers, which means you may not always have the same person visiting your home, although the agency will do its best to take your choices into account. Independent care and support providers are regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Care and support agencies must meet CQC’s national minimum standards and regulations in areas such as training and recordkeeping. The CQC has the power to inspect agencies and enforce standards. Care and support agencies must vet care and support workers before engaging them by taking up references and carrying out Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks on potential employees. Care and support agencies can also: • take over the burden of being an employer – for example, payroll, training, disciplinary issues and insurance • train their care and support workers through national qualifications and service-specific training • replace workers when they are ill, on holiday or resign • put things right when they go wrong An agency will want to see you and the person you’re looking after so that they can assess your needs. This also means that a joint decision can be made about the most appropriate type of care and support.

Hiring a personal assistant You can hire a “personal assistant” to act as a care and support worker for you. Personal assistants can offer you all that you’ll get

Content supplied by:

from an agency worker, but you’ll also get the continuity, familiarity and ongoing relationship with your assistant. However, if you employ a personal assistant, you will then have the legal responsibility of an employer. This will include arranging cover for their illness and holidays. GOV.UK has more information on becoming an employer, while Which? Elderly Care also has advice on employing private individuals.

Employing a care worker on a private basis If you employ a care worker privately, you will not be obliged to use the DBS scheme, but you can use it if you choose to. You need to ask social care or the police to make the checks on your behalf. The care worker must have already applied to be vetted, and must consent to the check. If you have concerns about the suitability of someone you employ privately as a personal assistant, you can ask Adult Social Care to look into the matter.

NHS Choices has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does NHS Choices endorse any of the products or services.


The Care Quality Commission is here to make sure health and adult social care services including hospitals, home and residential care as well as GPs in England provide people with safe, effective, high-quality care. We publish independent inspection reports and ratings about services – information you can use when you’re choosing care for yourself, or a loved one. You can use our website to search for services you might be interested in by geographical area, or by specialism. For example, a care home that might offer specialist care for someone who has dementia. We also welcome your feedback on the care you have received – good or bad. We use this information to help inform our inspections and can alert authorities including local social services, if there are safeguarding concerns about care being provided. You can visit our website at to find our inspection reports, or share an experience of care. You can also call us to share an experience of care on 03000 61 61 61. Here are some tips to help you choose your care.

Social care Top tips







The Care Quality Commission (CQC) registers all care homes and home care agencies. You can find out which ones support specific groups of people, such as people with a learning disability or those living with dementia. CQC’s Chief Inspector for Adult Social Care, Andrea Sutcliffe always uses ‘The Mum Test’: is a care home safe, caring, effective, responsive to people’s needs and well-led? In other words, is it good enough for my Mum (or anyone else I love and care for)? Look for care homes and home care agencies where the staff involve people who use services and their families and carers, and treat individuals with compassion, kindness, dignity and respect.




Whether you are being cared for in your own home or in a residential setting, the staff looking after you need to be skilled, kind and supportive. They should also be capable and confident in dealing with your particular needs. You should always feel that their support is helping you to live the life you want to. A care home will be a home for you or your loved one. Residents should be treated as individuals with their likes and dislikes taken into account. Think about whether a home is close enough to family, friends, and community facilities. Look at how well-led and managed a home is. What does it have in place to ensure that it delivers high quality care? Does it promote meaningful activity and connect the home with the community?

If you or a loved one needs help with day-today care, you can contact your local council’s social services department. They will ‘make an assessment of your needs’ and depending on circumstances, may be able to help you access financial help. For more advice visit Age UK’s website /home-and-care.

If you would like to organise your care yourself, you can find a care worker or personal assistant through an agency. Your local social services department should be able to provide details of approved agencies.

CQC’s ratings will identify services as:

Outstanding Good ● Requires improvement ● Inadequate ● This will help you make informed choices around your care. There’s also useful advice on the Social Care Institute for Excellence’s Find me good care website


Safeguarding adults who receive social care is everybody’s business. If you are concerned about the safety of a loved one receiving care, contact the service provider in the first instance. You can also contact social services at your local council. If you feel a crime has been committed, contact the police. You can share your safeguarding concerns with us on our website or contact our National Customer Services on 03000 616161.

The Care Quality Commission has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does the Care Quality Commission endorse any of the products or services.


GP Top tips






If you are new to an area you can find details of local GP services such as doctors’ practices, out-of-hours services and walkin centres in our online directory of care services



You can search any of these services by the name of the service, a place name or your postcode at

After an inspection, CQC publishes its findings in a report on its website. You can use these reports to check and compare services in your area.

Telephone: 03000 616161 • Web:

CQC rates all GPs to help people make choices about where they get treatment. This will be on a four-point scale:

Outstanding Good ● Requires improvement ● Inadequate ●


There are already over 1,000 reports about GP practices published on the CQC website.

Last year, CQC launched its new-style inspection reports for GPs – looking at the five key areas SAFE, EFFECTIVE, CARING, RESPONSIVE and WELL-LED – you can use the reports to compare local GPs and choose services.

You can also use these new style inspection reports to find out more about local services and choose the one that is best for your needs.


CQC will also look at how specific population groups are treated and give a rating. For instance how well they serve: Mothers, children and young people, vulnerable older people (over 75s) and people with long-term conditions. People will be able to choose a GP service that rates highly on the areas that matter to them. We welcome your feedback (good and bad) on the services you, or a loved one, receives from your GP. You can share information with us online at or call us on 03000 61 61 61.



The Care Quality Commission has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does the Care Quality Commission endorse any of the products or services.


The Care Quality Commission is here to make sure health and adult social care services including hospitals, home and residential care as well as GPs in England provide people with safe, effective, high-quality care. We publish independent inspection reports and ratings about services – information you can use when you’re choosing care for yourself, or a loved one. You can use our website to search for services you might be interested in by geographical area, or by specialism. For example, a care home that might offer specialist care for someone who has dementia. We also welcome your feedback on the care you have received – good or bad. We use this information to help inform our inspections and can alert authorities including local social services, if there are safeguarding concerns about care being provided. You can visit our website at to find our inspection reports, or share an experience of care. You can also call us to share an experience of care on 03000 61 61 61. Here are some tips to help you choose your care.

Mental health Top tips






If you are concerned about your mental health you should first visit your GP.


Outstanding Good ● Requires improvement ● Inadequate ●

Your GP will assess you and offer appropriate advice or treatment. They can refer you to a psychological treatment service or a specialist mental health service for further advice or treatment. Mental health services are free on the NHS but you will usually need a GP referral. If you don’t want to go to your GP you may also have the option of self-referral. This means you can go directly to a professional therapist. The NHS Choices website has a searchable directory of services which you can use to find a service near you. If you are referred to a specialist mental health service, you can ask which other providers offer the same service in your local area and make a choice.

CQC rates mental health providers to help people make choices about where they get treatment. They will use a four-point scale:



CQC uses information from the public and holds listening events across the country where people can talk with inspectors about their experience of services. You can look at our inspection reports and ratings for mental health services or share your experiences of care (good or bad) by visiting

Telephone: 03000 616161 • Web: /CareQualityCommission


In April CQC launched its new-style inspection reports for mental health providers – looking at five key areas of Safe, Effective, Caring, Responsive and Well-Led – you can compare reports on CQC’s website to help choose a provider.

The Care Quality Commission has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does the Care Quality Commission endorse any of the products or services.


How to use your

health services

There are a range of healthcare services available to help you find the right expert care to meet your needs. Choosing the service most appropriate to your symptoms means you get the right treatment in the right place.

Choking. Chest pain. Suspected stroke. Blacking out. Severe bleeding.

For symptoms of serious illnesses and major accidents, choose A&E (Accident & Emergency).

Cuts. Sprains. Rashes. Minor fractures.

For trips, falls, skin complaints and minor injuries, choose Walkin Health Centre or Minor Injuries Unit or Urgent Care Centre.

Vomiting. Ear pain. Feeling ill.

For infections and persistent symptoms or if your child has a high temperature, choose your GP.

Diarrhoea. Minor infections. Headache. Bites and stings.

For tummy upsets, insect bites and stings, coughs and colds and travel advice, choose a pharmacist.

Unsure? Confused? Need help?

For absolutely any questions about your health, choose NHS 111 service.

Grazed knee. Sore throat. Cough.

For minor ailments, grazes, bruises and similar problems, choose self-care.


Going home from hospital? Age UK Birmingham are here to help. When you’re ready to go home, if you are over 50 and live in Birmingham we are here to help and support you.

Information and advice Often after a spell in hospital it is more difficult to cope with everyday tasks. If you find this is true you may qualify for extra financial help. Our team of advisors are there to provide expert advice and information including welfare benefit calculations, and help to complete forms. They can also answer a wide range of queries or refer you to someone who can help you directly. Whenever you want to find anything out from a trustworthy source – give us a call.

Handyfix We offer a citywide Handyfix service that covers the whole city. With one phone call to 0121 437 0033 people over 50 or their relatives, friends and carers can book a Handyperson to do those jobs around the house that need fixing. Age UK Birmingham staff will agree whether “Handyfix” can help, what needs doing, how long it’s likely to take and then book a day and time that best suits the customer. All the work will be carried out only by Age UK Birmingham Handyfix’s highly trained, reliable and trustworthy, in-house team of staff.


curtain rails, joinery and plumbing • Safety – locks, doors, window locks, door chains, key safes • Moving furniture around the house For just £30 customers will get an hour’s worth of work completed around the home. So if the first task is finished quickly then the friendly “Handyfix” staff will be happy to be given some other odd jobs to complete in the hour. The work is tailored exactly to the customers needs.

For example: • Home from hospital improvements

Here is a selection of some of the other services we provide:

• Personal safety – grab rails etc

• Day Care

• Disabled adaptations •M  ost basic odd jobs around the house

• Lunch Clubs with delicious fresh meals cooked meals

• S mall repairs to: plastering, electrics, carpets,

• Wellcheck / Befriending

For further information please contact us: Telephone: 0121 437 0033 • Independent living advice and equipment – disability aids, stair lifts, pendant alarms, hearing aid batteries, etc

Telephone: 0121 270 2990 (Trading)

• Day Trips, clubs and social activities


• Extend Exercise classes (seated) • Toenail Care


• Tai Chi

Volunteering For Age UK Birmingham Volunteering for Age UK Birmingham is a great way to meet new people and be part of a team. We have lots of opportunities to suit everyone, whatever skills, abilities and free time you can spare. We have roles ranging from helping in our shops and day centres to helping us fundraise so we can continue to provide products and services for the over 50’s. In return you’ll get the satisfaction of knowing that you are making a real contribution to our clients “loving later life”. Whilst you are supporting the over 50’s we will be supporting you by giving you training and helping you enjoy volunteering! Our volunteers also get discount on home and car insurance! For further information please call our Volunteer Coordinator or pop into our office on the Alcester Road opposite Sainsburys, call us on 0121 437 0033 or email: volunteers@ You can also find out more about our opportunities at or the local BVSC in Digbeth, Birmingham. Charity number: 1138240 Age UK has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does Age UK endorse any of the products or services.


Alzheimer’s Society Services in Birmingham If you think you may have a form of dementia, or are caring for a person who has dementia, there are many ways that the Alzheimer’s Society in Birmingham can help.

Support from Dementia Support Workers Dementia Support Workers can offer advice on accessing professional help. We are in contact with a wide range of services and other advice centres, so we can put you in touch with specialists who can help you if your concerns are outside of our expertise. We can also refer you, or the person you care for, to services which provide for people with dementia – particularly if you are having trouble accessing this yourself.

Home visits We can arrange for a Dementia Support Worker to visit you in your own home and provide information, advice and support.

Information We can provide a wide range of advice sheets, which include specific information on different types of dementia, care issues and understanding the needs of the person with dementia.

Dementia Cafés Are places for people with dementia, their families and friends to meet other people in a similar situation for support, information and social interaction.

Singing for the Brain Is a service provided by Alzheimer’s Society which uses singing to bring people together in a friendly and stimulating social environment. Singing is not only an enjoyable activity – it can also provide a way for people with dementia, along with their carers, to express themselves and socialise with others in a fun and supportive group.

What should I do now? For information, advice and support please contact one of our advisors on 0121 706 4052 between 9am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday. Email: Alternatively you can visit us at: Alzheimer’s Society, Waterside House, 7-9 Olton Wharf, Richmond Road, Olton, Solihull B92 7RN. The Alzheimer’s Society has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does the Alzheimer’s Society endorse any of the products or services.


Dementia Friends Programme Dementia Friends is a national initiative run by the Alzheimer’s Society. Funded by the government, it aims to improve people’s understanding of dementia and its effects. Through the Dementia Friends programme, we aim to change the way the nation thinks, talks and acts to create ‘dementia friendly’ communities.

How does it work? A group of volunteers will be trained to spread the word about what dementia is and what action individuals can take in their community, and recruit Dementia Friends.

What is a Dementia Friend? A Dementia Friend learns about what it is like to live with dementia and then turns that understanding into action.

What is a Dementia Friends Champion? Dementia Friends Champions are volunteers who, after attending a training course, run information sessions where they talk to people about being a Dementia Friend in their communities.

How can I get involved? It’s easy – just log on to and book on to a Dementia Friends Information session. Alternatively, contact your local Alzheimer’s Society office for more information.


hospitals and services

in Birmingham

Good Hope Hospital, Rectory Road, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham SUTTON FOUR OAKS B75 7RR. Tel: 0121 424 2000

SUTTON SUTTON TRINITY COLDFIELD Birmingham Chest Clinic Hospital 151 Great Charles Street, Queensway, Birmingham B3 3HX Tel: 0121 424 2000











City Hospital










Waterside House, 7-9 Olton Wharf, Richmond Road, Olton, Solihull B92 7RN. Tel: 0121 706 4052



Kings Heath Office, 55 Alcester Road South, Kings Heath, Birmingham B14 7JG. Tel: 0121 437 0033













Queen Elizabeth Hospital SPARKBROOK







Heartlands Hospital Bordesley Green East, Birmingham B9 5SS. Tel: 0121 424 2000


The Onneley Centre, 109 Court Oak Road, Harborne, Birmingham B17 9AA Tel: 0121 437 0033

Royal Orthopaedic Hospital


Solihull Hospital & Community Services, Lode Lane, Solihull B91 2JL. Tel: 0121 424 2000

Useful contacts A


Action on Elder Abuse 020 8835 9280 We work to protect, and prevent the abuse of, vulnerable older adults. Action on Elder Abuse, PO Box 60001, Streatham SW16 9BY I I

Disability Benefits – for Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance I Textphone: 0845 722 4433 I DG_10011169

Admiral Nursing DIRECT 0845 257 9406 This helpline has been set up to provide people with an opportunity to talk through their worries and concerns about themselves, friends or relatives with dementia. The lines are open on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 11am and 9pm. Callers can leave messages any time and request a call back I

Elderly Accommodation Counsel 0800 377 7070 The Counsel's aim is to help older people make informed choices about meeting their housing and care needs. It was founded in 1984 and became registered as a charity in 1985. It is now more commonly known as EAC. I

Age UK Birmingham Kings Heath Office – 55 Alcester Road South, Kings Heath, Birmingham B14 7JG The Onneley Centre – 109 Court Oak Road, Harborne, Birmingham B17 9AA Tel: 0121 437 0033 Tel: 0121 270 2990 (Trading) I

Integrated Care Council 01379 678243 (Formerly the National Homecare Council) The Integrated Care Council is a body which brings together British public and independent sector organisations who commission or directly provide support for people living at home.

Alzheimer’s Society 0121 706 4052 Waterside House, 7-9 Olton Wharf, Richmond Road, Olton, Solihull B92 7RN I

Mind (National Association 020 8519 2122 for Mental Health) The leading mental health charity in England and Wales. We work to create a better life for everyone with experience of mental distress. I I

Arthritis Care 020 7380 6500 Working with and for all people with arthritis to put them in control of their arthritis and their lives. Arthritis Care, Floor 4, Linen Court, 10 East Road, London N1 6AD I




N National Osteoporosis Society 0845 450 0230 Advice, information and support group for people with osteoporosis. I


NHS 111

Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau Registered office: Ground Floor, Gazette Buildings, 168 Corporation Street, Birmingham B4 6TF Tel: 03444 77 1010 (Advice) – Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 4.30pm. Tel: 18001 03444 111445 (Textphone) Tel: 03454 040506 (Consumer Service) I I


Birmingham Carers Hub 0333 006 9711 If you are caring for someone who lives in Birmingham, The Carers Hub is here to help you to quickly and easily access the right support services and resources for you. I info@birminghamcarers I Birmingham Carers Association 0121 675 8176 159-161 Pitman Building, Corporation Street, Birmingham B4 6PH I I

C CareAware 0161 707 1107 A one stop shop for free advice on care fee funding for older people. I I Care Quality Commission (CQC) 03000 616161 National Correspondence, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA I I Carers UK – Birmingham branch 0121 355 1006 Prevents carers from becoming emotionally drained, and from forgetting to take care of themselves. Community Hub, Farthing Lane, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham B72 1RN I I Cruse Bereavement Care Cruse Bereavement Care is here to support you after the death of someone close. I I

0844 477 9400

D DIAL (Disability Information Advice Line) 0121 770 0333 DIAL Solihull provide information and advice to disabled people, their family and professionals on all aspects of living with a disability. DIAL Solihull, 67 The Parade, Kingshurst, Solihull, B37 6BB I

0845 712 3456


Parkinson's Disease Society I

0800 800 0303

R Royal Voluntary Service 0845 608 0122 A volunteer organisation that enriches the lives of older people and their families across Britain. We support older people by giving time and practical help to help them get the best from life. Royal Voluntary Service, Cardiff Gate, Beck Court, Cardiff Gate Business Park, Cardiff CF23 8RP I

S Stroke Association 0845 3033 100 Advice and information for stroke patients and their families. I

T The Department of Work and Pensions I The Pension Service 0845 606 0265 I


Every possible care has been taken to ensure that the information given in this publication is correct at the time of going to print. Whilst the publisher would be grateful to learn of any errors, it cannot accept any liability over and above the cost of the advertisement for loss there by caused. No reproduction by any method whatsoever of any part of this publication is permitted without prior written consent of the copyright owners. Octagon Design & Marketing Ltd. ©2016. Hawks Nest Cottage, Great North Road, Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN10 6AB. Telephone: 01302 714528 Options Birmingham is published by Octagon Design & Marketing Ltd with editorial contributions from the Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, the CQC, Age UK, the Alzheimer’s Society and NHS choices. The editorial contributors have not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor do the editorial contributors endorse any of the products or services.


Andrew Cohen House

Limes Rest Home

River Brook Drive, Stirchley, Birmingham, B30 2SH. 0121 458 5000

Providing a high standard of care and accommodation for 28 elderly people.

Is a 59 bed purpose built care home catering for residential and nursing residents. The rooms are single; mostly en-suite, above average size and all look over the garden. Arrangements can be made to house couples.

n Specialist dementia care n Sitting rooms, lounges

We also offer short term care allowing family and carers the opportunity to take a break whilst their loved one is well looked after. We have a full activities programme that is designed to satisfy an individual resident’s need. We cater for physical disability, sensory loss, dementia and palliative care. For information please contact:

0121 458 5000 or

& activities room Home Cooking Visiting physiotherapist, chiropodist & hairdresser n Large Garden n Parking available at rear of home n n

Please contact: Home Manager Jennie Roberts tel: 0121 443 1789 75-79 Cartland Road, Stirchley, Birmingham B30 2SD


Please ask for Sharon Grey.

Placement may be private/social care funded




To advertise in this publication please call the sales team on 01302 714528 Hawks Nest Cottage, Great North Road, Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN10 6AB 01302 714528 | |

Residential and Extra Care Services in Solihull • Not for profit registered charity, providing high quality residential care in Alexandra House and ‘extra care’ housing at Alexandra Court, in Olton, Solihull. • Respite facilities are available at both schemes. • Modern, purpose built facilities, registered with CQC and staffed by qualified, highly professional teams, providing 24 hour care. • Our complete affordable service provides all care, meals, laundry and cleaning. • Attractive private gardens, spacious communal areas and regular social activities, close to local amenities and public transport links. • If you would like to know more, why not visit us? You will always receive a warm welcome.

Enquiries: 0121 245 1002


Designed & Compiled by Octagon Design and Marketing Ltd., Hawks Nest Cottage, Great North Road, Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN10 6AB. Tel: 01302 714528

Options Birmingham - A guide to care and independent living Winter 2016  
Options Birmingham - A guide to care and independent living Winter 2016