Page 1

June 2013

A guide to

independent living in Sheffield



What are adult social care services?


Who can we help?


Am I eligible?


How will I be assessed?


What if I don’t want an assessment?


Financial Assessment


Planning your Support


How do I contact you?


Support Available


Who will give me a quality service


Home Support


Equipment and technology




Adult Placement – Shared Lives Scheme






Health and wellbeing


Advice and Advocacy




Supported Accommodation




Worried about abuse


Tell us what you think


Other information available



Our aims and objectives We aim to provide our Service Users with a comprehensive service of care of the highest quality within their own homes. We strive to offer a flexible, efficient and professional service that is tailored to needs of the individual.

Abbeyfield Grange Support Planning and Community Support Services. We have over 25 years experience in adult mental health support. We provide a comprehensive range of support options which are directly linked to the persons needs and outcomes as outlined in their support plan. All our staff are DBS checked and have provided robust references, further more, all our Support Workers have had at least 6 months training and experience within our Registered Residential Home. After that time period staff may apply for a position within our support services team. We do not employ care workers we employ workers who care

We will treat each Service User with respect and remain sensitive to his / her individual needs and abilities, and aim to promote the Service User’s independence and personal dignity. • We provide Care and Support to individuals in their own homes on a one to one basis. • Sarah Care Ltd is inspected and registered with the Care Quality Commission.

Range of Services we Include; • Befriending • Supporting and Encouraging • Support with Attending Personal Development Skills Appointments (Education, Work, Hobbies and • Supported Daily Living Healthy Living Skills) Activities (Cooking, • Companionship Club Housekeeping, Shopping) (10-3 including light lunch • Day Trips to Places of Interest and refreshments) ....... and much, much more as identified in the individuals support plan.

Services that we offer • • • • • •

Our Prices Support Planning £15 per hour (capped at £300 maximum) Community Support £15 per hour ( plus expenses) Companionship Club £30 per session Transport cost within Sheffield £10 return Longer journeys priced according to distance and group numbers. Abbeyfield Grange Community Support, 148 Burngreave Road, Burngreave, Sheffield S3 9DH Contact details; Telephone 0114 327 3197 and 0114 278 6827 Paul Britain (Director) 07912389994 Michelle Gregory (Assistant Manager) 07950881084 Email:

Personal care • Assistance with medication Assistance with meals • Domestic household tasks Shopping and pension collection Short, medium or long term rehabilitation Social outings • Holiday accompaniment Carer respite • Basic pet care

SarahCare Ltd Professional Care You Can Trust

01142 485658

Visiting Optician T

he Armchair Spectacle Company is a local and well trusted visiting optician that offers thorough eye tests in patient’s own homes. We use all the latest equipment to provide a truly thorough test including a glaucoma check. We have many happy customers across South Yorkshire who appreciate our professionalism, friendliness and great prices.

“No call out fees”

tests are completely free

Specialists in testing Stroke sufferers and those with Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.

We offer free NHS eye tests to anyone who finds it difficult to get to the opticians unaided, provided they are over 60 or in receipt of certain benefits (call us to find out if you are entitled) Glasses start from £45.00 including single vision lenses. Plus if you get Pension Guaranteed Credit (or certain other benefits) you will also be entitled to help towards the cost of your glasses and we offer a range of glasses that are completely free of charge.

Call us to book on: 0800 024 84 70 Visit our website: E-mail:

What are adult social care services? Social care services are the part of the council that's responsible for providing care, protection and help for vulnerable adults. We aim to provide choice, control and independence for people in Sheffield and support and protection for those who need it the most. We share this responsibility with other organisations such as primary care trusts (National Health Service), housing and the police, and we work in close partnership with them.

Who can we help? People who might need help from social care services for adults include: • Adults aged 18 and over: • who require short term support after an operation, illness or fall • with a physical, sensory or cognitive impairment • with a long term illness or health condition • with a learning disability • with a mental health diagnosis • Carers for people in any of these groups. The council also has responsibilities for children and families. Contact: Children and Families Access Team (0114) 273 4855


Am I eligible? To find out if you are eligible for support from adult social care services you need to complete an assessment of your needs. We will work with you to identify your needs and any risks to your independence. We will then assess your level of need and risk to work out if you are eligible for support from us. You will be eligible for support if there is a significant or immediate risk to your safety, independence and wellbeing. If you are eligible for support you will then have a financial assessment to see if you are able to contribute to the cost of your support. If there is only some or little risk to your safety, independence and wellbeing we will provide you with information and advice about community services to help you remain independent and prevent your situation from getting worse. The rest of this guide provides useful contact information for some of the services available in Sheffield. You are entitled to a reassessment at any time if your needs change or worsen.

How will I be assessed? We will ask you some questions to help complete an assessment questionnaire. This form helps us find out information about your life, what kind of support you and need, and most importantly, what you want from your life. Your Social Worker or Care Manager will visit you and support you to complete the assessment questionnaire. You may also want to ask people who know you well to help you, such as your family, friends, an advocate, people paid to help you or a health professional. During this discussion the Social Worker or Care manager can offer advice about which services may be able to help you. If you need a lot of support they can help you consider if Residential or Nursing Care would be an option for you.


What if I don’t want an assessment? If you do not want to have an assessment of your needs with us you will not be eligible for any support from the council. There are many other services in Sheffield that can offer you support directly without an assessment however you will have to pay the full cost of these services. The Support Available section, on page 9, includes details for some of these.

Financial assessment If you are eligible for support from the council you will also need a Financial Assessment. During your Financial Assessment you will be asked some basic information about your income, savings and benefits to see if you could make a financial contribution towards the amount in your budget. You will not be asked to contribute more than you can afford. If you do not want to have a financial assessment you will have to pay the full cost of your support.

Planning your support We use your answers from your assessment questionnaire to decide if you are eligible and if so to work out the amount of money you could get to help meet your needs. This is called your Indicative Budget. Your Social Worker or Care Manager will then discuss with you how you would like to complete your support plan. Your support plan records how you have decided to meet your needs and live the life you want, using some or all of this money. We’ll need to agree that your plan meets your needs before you get your Personal Budget. Your plan must keep you safe, spend the money legally, and show that you have budgeted for unforeseen circumstances. In some cases, we will arrange some services to support you and keep you safe while you are being assessed.


How do I contact you? If you need information about health and social care services for adults in Sheffield, please contact: Adult Access Team (0114) 273 4908 Corporate Mail Facility, FREEPOST NEA5527, Town Hall, Sheffield S1 2ZZ. Call in to the council's First Point Reception at Howden House in the city centre. Open from 8:30am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.


Support available The next sections in this guide give information about the different types of support available in Sheffield to help people live independently. Some contact details have been included however this is not a complete list. We cannot make recommendations for organisations listed in this guide. Inclusion in no way endorses the organisation. They have been listed to help you find the right service for your needs. A more comprehensive list of organisations and services available in Sheffield is from the Help Yourself website.

Help Yourself Help Yourself has details of voluntary, community and faith organisations, including individuals and organisations that provide health and social care support, and community based activities. It also has a section to help people plan their care and support. The database is only available online at: If you don’t have access to the internet at home you can visit your local library to use a computer, or to ask them to find information. You can also contact Sheffield Community Information Service, who can send you printed copies of information from Help Yourself. Contact: (0114) 273 4763

Connecting Sheffield - our emarketplace We are developing an electronic marketplace, our own version of Amazon or Ebay for social care services. Connecting Sheffield is an easy to use website where people can find out about, and buy, products and services to help meet their support needs. At the time of writing this guide the emarketplace is still in development. For more information:


Who will give me a quality service? If you want to purchase care and support to help you do day-to-day things at home, but are confused about where to start and who to choose, our Recognised Provider List can help. The is a list of care and support providers in Sheffield who have received the Council’s seal of approval. To see who is listed visit and look for the Recognised Provider List logo shown above. This shows that the provider: • has met Council standards • will be checked on a regular basis • will aim to give you a quality service. If you don't have access to the internet or want more information contact us. (0114) 203 9145 The inclusion of any organisation on the Recognised Provider List is not intended to be and shall not constitute a recommendation by Sheffield City Council. No representation, express or implied, is or will be made and no liability or responsibility is or will be accepted by Sheffield City Council in respect of any organisation included on the Recognised Provider List and in respect of, or in any way arising out of the provision of, or failure to provide services by any organisation. It is important that you satisfy yourself that any organisation on the Recognised Provider List is suitable for your own requirements.

What other people are saying… You can find out what other people are saying about care and support services in Sheffield at the Care Opinion website:


Home support There are many different home support services available in Sheffield that may help you meet your needs. These may include personal care (including dressing, washing, bathing and toileting), mobility and moving around your home, meals, medication, laundry, some cleaning tasks, managing your money (such as collecting your pension), care at night time or a shopping service. Companies that provide home support services in Sheffield are listed on the following pages. All of the companies listed are registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to make sure they provide a quality service (you can check inspection reports on their website

Home support providers in Sheffield Advantage Healthcare 14 Jessops Riverside, 800 Brightside, Sheffield, S9 2RX - (0114) 244 9116 Age UK - Sheffield Choice 44 Castle Square, Sheffield, S1 2GF - (0114) 250 2850 Alliance Care 27 Taplin Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6 4JD - (0114) 243 9522 Allied Healthcare Building 1, Floor 2, Hawke Street Industrial Estate, Hawke Street, Sheffield S9 2SU - (0114) 261 3001 Autism Plus Limited The Exchange Brewery, 2 Bridge Street, Sheffield S3 8NS - (0114) 384 0284

Bluebird Care Unit 11, Riverside Court, Don Road, Sheffield, S9 2JT - (0114) 265 6670 Care UK DCA (Sheffield) 29 President Buildings, President Way, Saville Street East, Sheffield, S4 7UQ - (0114) 279 8228 Care2Care Sorby House, 42 Spital Hill, Burngreave, Sheffield, S4 7LG - (0114) 213 3171/3172 Carewatch Sheffield Redlands, 3-5 Tapton House Road, Sheffield, S10 5BY - (0114) 268 0333 Citizenship First 350 Glossop Road, Sheffield, S10 2HW - (0114) 279 8001


Home support providers in Sheffield Dimensions Floor 1 Churchill House, 6 Meetinghouse Lane, Sheffield, S1 2DP - 0300 373 3730

Housing21 Unit 18-19 President Building, Saville Street East, Sheffield, S4 7UQ - 0303 123 1281

Direct Health Unit 2, 1 Arena Court, Attercliffe Road, Sheffield, S9 2LF - (0114) 256 6480

Inspire UK 43 Southey Avenue, Sheffield, S5 7NN - (0114) 232 3333

GMS Carers 453 Gleadless Road, Sheffield, S2 3AR - (0114) 253 1309

Intercare Services Provincial House Business Centre, Solly Street, Sheffield, S1 4BB - (0114) 276 5922

HF Trust Sheffield and Derbyshire 6 Broadfield Court, Sheffield, S8 0XF - (0114) 250 0718

Longley Hall Choice Lifestyles Longley Hall, Longley Lane, Firth Park, Sheffield, S5 7JF - (0114) 242 3773

Home Alternative Ltd Millennium House, 30 Junction Road, Sheffield, S11 8XB - (0114) 266 6180

Mears Care Ground Floor, 4 Acres Hill Business Park, Acres Hill Lane, Sheffield, S9 4LR - (0114) 243 4633

Home Instead Senior Care Nether Lane, S35 9ZX (0114) 246 9666. Psalter Lane, Sheffield S11 8YL - (0114) 250 7709 (see our advert on page 48)


New Horizons Trust Home Care Services Unit 11, STEP Business Centre, Wortley Road, Deepcar, Sheffield, S36 2UH - (0114) 290 3627

Home support providers in Sheffield Newfield View Supported Living 8B Gleadless Avenue, Sheffield, S12 2QH - (0114) 281 0818 One to One Community Care 208-210 Northfield Road, Sheffield S10 1QU - (0114) 266 6042 (see our advert on page 44) PF Home Care Riverdale House, 89 Graham Road, Sheffield, S10 3GP - (0114) 268 0222 Principle Support Limited 9 Orgreave Road, Handsworth, Sheffield, S13 9LQ - (0114) 213 1750 Samfos Health Soar Works, Enterprise Centre, Knutton Road, Sheffield S5 9NU - (0114) 245 5450 Sarah Care Limited Century House, 109 Station Road, Sheffield, S20 3GS - (0114) 248 5658 (see our advert on page 4)

Serenta Homecare Unit 2, 90 Lowedges Road, Sheffield, S8 7LD - (0114) 327 3575 (see our advert on page 48) Spectrum Social Care Ltd 125 John Street, Sheffield, S2 4QX - (0114) 249 9988 SSA Social Work Limited 109 Burngreave Road, Sheffield, S3 9DF - (0114) 273 0777 Twelve Trees Homecare 17 Priory Road, Nether Edge, Sheffield, S7 1LW - (0114) 258 3802 United Response Unit 6, Meersbrook Works, Valley Road, Meersbrook, Sheffield, S8 9FT - (0114) 255 8857 Westminster Home Care Redlands Business Centre, 3-5 Tapton House, Broomhill, Sheffield, S10 5BY - (0114) 266 9996


Home support for adults with a learning disability There are also services specifically aimed at adults with a learning disability. The Joint Learning Disabilities Service has a Community and Tenancy Support (CATS) team that provide housing related support to help people with a learning disability maintain their tenancy. Housing related support means any support with paying bills, keeping your house safe and clean, or helping you to become more independent in your community. The service also has a Personal Assistant Cover Service (PACS). This service is for adults with a learning disability who employ their own personal assistant to provide their care and support. The Personal Assistant Cover Service can arrange for someone to support you while your personal assistant (also known as a one-to-one) is away on holiday or sick. They offer a fully trained staff member and an easy billing process. If you want to find out more about or access the services available to people with a learning disability including the CATS team and PACS please contact Joint Learning Disabilities – Provider Services: 712 Wordsworth Avenue, Sheffield, S5 9JN (0114) 203 7093


Meals delivery service To make sure you get regular meals and nutrition, you can have your meals delivered to your door. Frozen meals You can have frozen meals delivered to your home once a fortnight to store in your freezer. The following companies can deliver frozen meals • Oakhouse Foods (01246) 551870 or 0845 643 2009 • Wiltshire Farm Foods 0800 773 773 • WRVS 0845 600 5885 Hot meals You can have hot meals delivered to your door every day. There is a choice of four main meals and three desserts, including a vegetarian option. A cold tea meal can also be delivered at the same time. Hot meals can be provided by: Park Care Meals (01709) 378 100.


Equipment and technology There is a wide range of equipment and technology available to support you to do the things you want to do more easily and with less risk. You can buy equipment from shops or catalogues. You can also request some equipment from your doctor. There is also technology available to help you to feel safer and more secure in your own home, such as a care alarm service.

Buying equipment If you’re struggling to do everyday things around the home there are lots of pieces of equipment that might help. Many stores now sell useful equipment to make life easier at home. At the following local specialist shops you can see and try out equipment for making daily life easier. Clark & Partners 0800 783 3832

Wicker Mobility Shop (0114) 272 3729

Eden Mobility 0800 652 8444

AllMobility (0114) 327 4048

If you would find it difficult to visit one of these shops you could order some equipment from your own home using a mail order company. The companies listed below are some of the companies that offer home shopping for equipment and gadgets. Red Cross Independent Living Shop 0844 209 0029 Patterson Medical 0844 412 4330 Living Aids Direct 0845 057 3402


Nottingham Rehab Supplies 0845 805 2236 Disabled Living Foundation 0845 130 9177

Equipment and Adaptations service Our Equipment and Adaptations service can assess people who are experiencing difficulties. There are policies in place to make sure we meet the needs of those who need it most. We may be able to help you if: •Y  ou can’t manage to do essential things and there’s no other way of getting them done. •Y  ou’re struggling to manage but you, or a carer, are at serious risk of injury, and there’s no other way of getting things done. If it seems you would be better off getting help from someone else we’ll tell you who to get in touch with. You can ask for help from the Equipment and Adaptations service by ringing our Adult Access Team on (0114) 273 4908. Depending on the risks you face, it can take up to three months to assess you at home. You may need a financial assessment and pay towards the cost of your care (see page 7). For more information: (0114) 273 4908

Help from your doctor Making daily life easier can be as simple as a visit to your doctor or community nurse. They can offer lots of help and advice to staying independent, including •M  obility aids to help you get around, such as walking frames, crutches or a referral for a wheelchair assessment. • Incontinence equipment to help with problems getting to the toilet on time, such as incontinence pads or a commode, either through the district nurse or continence service. •S  pecialist equipment for someone who needs nursing care at home, such as a specialist bed or hoist.


Loan or hire of equipment Sometimes you only need equipment for a short time. You can borrow equipment for up to eight weeks from the British Red Cross – the service is free but you’ll be asked to make a donation. British Red Cross (0114) 242 7370 Wheelchairs can also be loaned for free from Shopmobility, for a day or for a longer time. They also have a wide range of three and four wheeled electronic mobility scooters available for loan for a small fee, starting at £2.50. Shopmobility Sheffield Eldon Road (off West Street) outlet (0114) 281 2278 Crystal Peaks outlet: (0114) 248 3802 Alternatively some of the shops listed in the Buying equipment section on page 16 may hire out equipment.


Getting things fixed If there are little jobs that need doing to make your home safer, you could get in touch with the Handyperson Service. They work with older and disabled people and can do small jobs, like fit hand rails on stairs or grab rails, for about half the usual cost. Handyperson Service at Stayput (0114) 256 4270 If you’re a home-owner and need general repairs, Stayput may be able to help. There is a charge for any work done, but they offer free help with advice, surveys, finding builders and maybe with grants. Stayput (0114) 256 4270 Age UK Sheffield’s Handyperson Scheme can do manual jobs, such as moving furniture, and small fixing jobs around the home for people aged 55 and over if there’s no one else around to help; they only charge for the cost of the materials. Handyperson Scheme (0114) 250 2850


City Wide Care Alarms Our City Wide Care Alarms service helps people to remain safe, secure and independent in their own home, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When you join, we provide a portable alarm button, and a base unit that you can hear and speak through, thanks to its powerful microphone and loudspeaker. If you need help, all you have to do is press one of the alarm buttons and it automatically connects you to our call-monitoring centre. Our trained staff have instant access to your information and will quickly provide the most appropriate help, whether that is your relative, doctor, our specially trained mobile support workers or the emergency services. The full service, including response from our mobile support workers if needed, is just £4.81 (ex VAT) per week. Additional automated alarms We also provide a range of automated alarms, which work with the main unit, to help manage specific risks in the home. These alarms could provide the extra help needed, to ensure people can stay in their own home. These alarms include: • Smoke Detector

• Extreme Temperature Sensor

• Fall Detector

• Heat Detector

• Bad Sensor

• Flood Detector

• Chair Sensor

• Property Exit Sensor

• Carbon Monoxide Detector

• Epilepsy Sensor

• Gas Detector

• Medication Dispenser

To find out more about our service, or how any of these additional alarms may be able to help you or someone you know, please contact 0800 013 0980


Respite Respite care is provided for people to give them a break, or to give their carer a break. This can be provided: • in your own home • in a residential or nursing home • by our Adult Placement – Shared Lives service (see next section) •a  t a lunch club or community support service (for day time and evening activities).

DISABILITY: Community Support Service (CSS) The CSS provides support with independence and respite for disabled adults and carers. They provide support to overcome barriers, such as travel training or accessing fitness, learning, employment or social activities. Daytime and evening respite and support for you and/or your carer is provided through a number of groups across the city. Group members decide what activities they will do, including sports, crafts, or getting out and about. We have a specially adapted building called the Activity Hub, for people with high support needs. The hub has a variety of activities such as sports, music and cooking. The hub also has a multisensory room and changing places facilities. The CSS also provides a Floating Support service. Floating Support helps you maintain a tenancy, so you can live more independently. This can include support with letters and mail, developing household routines and budgeting. Adult Access (0114) 273 4908 or CSS direct on (0114) 203 7209


Respite LEARNING DISABILITY: Short Break service The Learning Disabilities Service provides a Short Break Service to adults with a learning disability. Short breaks are a way for you or your carer to have a break, and can include: • Support in your own home • Overnight stays • Supported holidays or weekends away • Days out • Evening or weekend activities in the community A short break can be provided in one of our short break care units, where our staff are available 24 hours a day. We can provide regular breaks throughout the year, such as one weekend every month. We have specialist facilities to support people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, staffed by trained learning disability nurses. Contact: Joint Learning Disabilities – Provider Services: Write to: 712 Wordsworth Avenue, Sheffield, S5 9JN (0114) 203 7093

Carers' respite There is also respite available if you are a carer. Please see more information in the Carers section on page 38.


Adult Placement – Shared Lives Scheme This scheme offers opportunities for adults to live with (like fostering), or spend time with, specially selected and trained carers and their families, as well as going out and about in the community or having a service in their own home. We provide all vulnerable adult groups with individual support to help them live as independently as possible. Our priorities and criteria. Our customers must have an assessment from adult social care services and be eligible for our service. What you can expect. You will get a service that is tailored to you. You choose where you go and what you do (such as shopping, fishing, going to a football match or a gig, arts and crafts, or cooking). Our customers are carefully matched with our carers, based on your needs, mutual interests and our carer’s skills and abilities. We ensure customers are able to have their say and to help improve and develop our service. Qualified social workers assess potential carers. All our carers are CRB checked and trained to national standards. Our carers are closely monitored and reviewed regularly. We are registered with the Care Quality Commission which ensures we are a quality service. The scheme offers: • Long term accommodation and support in the carer’s home (like fostering). • Short break respite care in the carer’s home, or the customer’s home. • Befriending either one to one or in a small group, out and about in the community. • Day time support in our carer’s home. If you are interested in the scheme please contact your social worker, care manager or support planner. You can also contact the Adult Access Team on (0114) 273 4908, or email - or call into the First Point reception at Howden House in the city centre. Contact the scheme: (0114) 273 5275 or 273 5185


Transport Transport services in Sheffield can help you if you struggle to get around easily or use public transport.

Travel Solutions Our Travel Solutions Team offer help and advice to all disabled and older people, whether or not you are eligible for adult social care support. They can provide personal options based on your circumstances, to help you travel around the city. If you have a journey in mind, you can get support to plan the route and method of transport. You can also get a copy of our Travel Guide for Disabled and Older People – it’s a catalogue of all the products and services available (many of which are free). You can download a copy from the Travel Solutions page on our website or contact the team. (0114) 268 5271

Community Transport Providers Sheffield Community Transport (SCT) provide various services to help people get around the city. Their services include •S  hopper Bus services in Sheffield - provide links between local communities and opportunities for shopping and personal business. •C  ity Ride door-to-door service - for people who have difficulties using public transport. •C  ommunity Car Scheme - volunteers use their own cars to help people who have problems with mobility and using public transport. •G  roup Travel vehicles - for use by local community groups at non-profit making rates. Can be used for a wide range of activities, for short and long-distance trips.


Transport To find out more about the services available contact SCT (0114) 276 6148 There are several other services that provide residents of Sheffield access to transport. You can search for providers on the Sheffield Help Yourself website at

Travel Passes and Blue Badge scheme Travel passes are available for people aged 60 and over, people with a mental health condition, and disabled people to use on bus and rail services. The Blue Badge scheme is for people with severe mobility problems. It allows Blue Badge holders to park close to where they need to go. More information is available from: (0114) 273 4567 Or from Travel South Yorkshire on (01709) 51 51 51 Signpost Sheffield (a website about the Joint Learning Disabilities Service) has lots more help and advice around transport for people with learning disabilities.


Activities Sheffield offers a wide variety of social and leisure activities to people of all ages. Whether you just want to know what’s on in your area or need support to access activities, help is available.

Activity Sheffield Our Activity Sheffield service offer a range of sport, play and physical activity sessions, aiming to get more people, more active, more often. To find out more about what’s on offer contact the team on (0114) 273 4266

Over 50’s Activities Search Older Sheffield - the on-line directory of around 1,200 local voluntary, community and faith services that are available for the over 50's in Sheffield. The site also features adverts from selected commercial organisations providing services for older people. You'll find anything from support groups to line dancing and from advice centres to DIY support.  lder Sheffield Signpost Agency, Age UK Sheffield, 44 Castle Square, O Sheffield, S1 2GF (0114) 253 7691

Activities for disabled people Within Reach provide activities and resources to help disabled people in Sheffield take part in sport. Their website has details of clubs and leisure facilities for disabled people in Sheffield. Contact them to find out more.


Activities (0114) 273 4266

Activities for people with a learning disability The Joint Learning Disabilities Service provides an extensive range of social, leisure and general interest activities – some in partnership with other groups and organisations. The service have a range of facilities that are designed specifically for people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, autistic spectrum disorder, behaviour that challenges and dementia. We will change our service to suit you, help you access community groups and shape your service around your needs. The service also provides a variety of work-based activities for people with a learning disability that include voluntary and paid work. They can also offer a benefit assessment so that you understand how employment may affect the benefits you get. If you want to find out more about or access the services available to adults with a learning disability including various day opportunities and employment please contact Joint Learning Disabilities – Provider Services: 712 Wordsworth Avenue, Sheffield, S5 9JN (0114) 203 7093 There’s also lots of information and advice about leisure and activities for people with learning disabilities on the Signpost Sheffield website at


Health and wellbeing There are many different services available in Sheffield to help you keep fit and well. From services to improve your health, to those to get you out and about enjoying an active lifestyle, there is something for everyone. If you’re concerned about your health talk to your doctor. You can find information about GPs, Hospitals and Dentists on the NHS Choices website. Regular exercise will keep you feeling fit and healthy – use the contacts in the Activities Section of this guide to find out what’s going on in your area.

Stop Smoking Sheffield NHS Stop Smoking Service has a large number of fully trained stop smoking advisers, ready to give you the advice and support you need to help you quit – and it’s all free! Sheffield Quit Stop, 39 Charles Street Sheffield S1 2HU 0800 068 4490

Slice The Slice Scheme offers significant savings on sports activities in pools, sports centres, and golf courses across Sheffield and also in selected sites in Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham. (0114) 273 4266


Health and wellbeing Sheffield Health Trainers Sheffield Community Health Trainers can offer one-to-one support around changing or leading a healthier lifestyle. The service is free and confidential. (0114) 305 1407 You can also visit the following websites for general advice about staying healthy.

Sheffield Healthy Communities Programme The Healthy Communities Programme is about improving health and addressing health inequalities. There are 15 Healthy Communities Programmes across the city covering 35 neighbourhoods. There are also many activities to support people to improve their health.

Health Advice Find more information about different health issues visit: If you need advice or information about NHS services contact the Patient Services Team: (0114) 271 2400


Advice and Advocacy Healthwatch Sheffield is the new consumer champion for health and social care for adults, children and young people. It’s independent from statutory authorities and the NHS, and will: •g  ive you and your communities a stronger voice to help improve services in Sheffield; •g  ather and listen to your views and influence health and social care services in Sheffield; • have a seat on the Sheffield Health and Wellbeing Board; • provide information, advice and signposting about local services; •m  onitor the quality of health and social care services, and make recommendations for improvements. If you want to influence health and social care services, or get involved please contact Healthwatch Sheffield, The Circle, 33 Rockingham Lane Sheffield S1 4FW. Telephone (0114) 2536688. Visit: www. Email: There are times when everyone needs some advice or someone to help them make their voice heard. In Sheffield there are many organisations that can provide these services. Age UK Sheffield (0114) 250 2850 Advice Sheffield Online resource for finding free, independent and confidential advice.

30 22

Advice and Advocacy Citizens Advice Bureau Search for your local office at

08444 111 444

National Mencap Specific advocacy and support services for adults with a learning disability 0808 808 1111 (local rate)

Sheffield Mental Health Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) Sheffield Mental Health CAB is a registered charity that provides a free generalist and specialist confidential advice service for users of mental health services in Sheffield and their carers, friends and relatives. (0114) 271 8025

Roshni Roshni is a resource centre run by and for South Asian women in Sheffield, which actively promotes the needs of local Asian women through self-help, employment, advocacy, information provision, cultural, health and wellbeing activities. (0114) 250 8898

Sheffield African Caribbean Mental Health Association (SACMHA) The company has many years experience in working with older people, people with mental health issues and providing a culturally sensitive service to clients with BME (Black Minority Ethnic) backgrounds. (0114) 272 6393


Advice and Advocacy Sheffield and District Afro-Caribbean Community Association Ltd (SADACCA) A registered charity that provides for the African-Caribbean community offering a support service for older people, community and acute care, and advocacy. (0114) 275 3479 Sheffield Centre for Independent Living (SCIL) Advocacy service SCIL offer a free, independent disability information service for disabled people that is run by disabled volunteers, and an advocacy service that can support disabled people to access health, social care or provide help on any disability-related issue. (0114) 253 6750

32 22

Finance Keeping your finances in order is important and can make a big difference to your life. Whether it’s day to day spending, planning for your future care needs, finding out what benefits you’re entitled to or dealing with debt, we know that sometimes money matters can seem overwhelming - but support is available.

Financial Healthcheck It’s sensible to do a regular financial healthcheck. You can do this through the Money Advice Service. They can also provide advice about funding for care. 0300 500 5000 – they can then call you back

The Citizens Advice Bureau The Citizens Advice Bureau – Advice Guide offers lots of advice to help you manage your money. You can find out about general budgeting, debt advice, paying your bills, benefits, banking, savings, pensions, insurance and much more. Money Management – Citizens Advice Bureau 08444 111 444 If you need financial advice you can speak to your local bank branch or to an independent financial advisor. If you choose an independent financial advisor check that they are registered with the Financial Services Authority and make sure you understand their fees.


Finance Self Funding If you are not eligible for our support, or chose to pay for your own care, you are called a self funder. You can access general information about paying for your own care and about accredited financial advisors from these organisations: Age UK Age UK provides independent information and advice on finding and paying for care. 0800 169 65 65 Independent Age Information and advice service for older people, focussing on social care, welfare benefits and befriending services. 0845 262 1863 Paying For Care This website is designed to help you make informed choices about arranging and funding long-term care. Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) You can access both general information about paying for care and information about accredited financial advisers in your areas through SOLLA. 0845 303 2909


Finance Benefits advice Checking your entitlements could mean extra money to help you maintain an independent lifestyle. There are many different benefits you might be able to claim. Your entitlement depends on your individual circumstances, to find out what you may be entitled to you can arrange a check with our Financial Assessments service. (0114) 273 4440 or 273 4613 You can also contact our benefits advice line on (0114) 273 6777 or the Disability Benefits enquiry line on 0800 88 22 00.


Supported Accommodation In Sheffield we will try to support you to remain in your own home for as long as you want to. Our primary aim is to keep you living independently at home. When this is no longer practical or not what you want, there are several different options available to you. These include Extra Care Housing, Residential Care and Nursing Care.

Extra Care Housing Extra care housing combines sheltered accommodation with more traditional residential care homes. It is designed to make life easier for older people who can no longer cope with entirely living in their own home whilst allowing them to maintain some level of independence. Extra care housing provides: • self contained flats or bungalows in a sheltered environment • housing related support to help you live independently • an appropriate package of care in your own home • 24 hour support • more communal facilities than existing sheltered schemes, e.g. restaurant, lounge, activity room, library, health suite, computer suite • independence and re-enablement Sheffield has five extra care schemes. While there are some bungalows most of the accommodation is two bedroom flats. The majority of homes are for rent however there are options to part buy or purchase outright. To find out more contact the scheme you’re interested in directly on (0114) 273 7888 or 273 7920

• Guildford Grange in Norfolk Park • The Meadows in Shirecliffe

(0114) 243 5749

• Brunswick Gardens in Woodhouse • White Willows in Jordanthorpe • Roman Ridge in Wincobank


(0114) 294 0000

(0114) 237 7960 (0114) 280 0540

Supported Accommodation Residential care Residential care is for people who can’t continue to live in their own home, even with support. You can stay in a home for a short-time (known as respite care) or live there permanently. You would get your own room, and have staff available to help you 24 hours a day. Homes normally provide accommodation, meals and personal care such as help to wash and dress and going to the toilet. Staff at the home can also help you gain skills to help you be independent. There are specialist homes for people with a learning disability, a physical disability or sensory impairment, for older people and for people with a mental health problem.

Nursing Care Nursing homes provide care like residential homes, but they also provide 24 hour nursing care by trained nursing staff. The person in charge must be a qualified doctor or nurse.

More information on residential and nursing care Detailed information and advice on residential and nursing care in Sheffield is available in our guide. Updated twice a year the guide has lots of advice on what to consider if you are thinking about moving into a home. It also has listings for all of the homes in Sheffield that are registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). For a copy of the guide call (0114) 273 4119. You can get copies of the CQC reports on all the homes in Sheffield from the CQC website:


Carers If you are providing regular and substantial support to a relative, friend or neighbour who cannot manage on their own due to illness, disability or frailty, then you are a carer. There is support available to carers in Sheffield both through adult social care services if we are supporting the person you care for, or through a number of other voluntary agencies. You can also speak to your doctor for help and support in your caring role.

Carers Needs Assessment Carers, according to the above definition, are entitled to a carers needs assessment from Adult Social Care services if we are supporting the person you care for. We can provide help and support with: • care services to help the person you care for become more independent •c  are services that look after the person you care for while you have a short term or longer break • s ervices directly to you, like help in your own home so you have more time to help the person you care for •a  short term plan which would be put in place should an accident or emergency leave you unable to care • s upport with shopping, cleaning, feeding, bathing, dressing, toileting, medicating and general emotional support To get assessed contact our Adult Access Team on (0114) 273 4908.

Carers Emergency Support Team The Carers Emergency Support Team work with carers supporting people over the age of 65, where that person has had some contact with our service. The team work with you and the person you care for to create a short-term plan that will be put in place should an accident or emergency leave you unable to care. For referrals to the team contact your Social Worker for further details, or the access team.


(0114) 273 4908

Carers Sheffield Carers Centre Help and information for carers and former carers. The centre offers a range of activities including aromatherapy, a creative writing group, an art group and monthly coffee mornings. The centre also send out regular newsletters. Contact: Helpline: (0114) 272 8362 Office: (0114) 278 8942 7 Bells Court, Bells Square, Sheffield, S1 2FY

Sheffield Young Carers Project Information, advice and support for children and young people under 21 years old who care for someone. The project helps young carers access a range of social, educational and employment opportunities. Contact: (0114) 258 4595

 heaf Bank Business Park, Unit R7b Riverside S Block, 20 Prospect Road, Sheffield, S2 3EN

Sharing Caring Project Supports carers (55 years old or more) of adults with learning disabilities in Sheffield. The project has a lot of experience of supporting older carers to explore options for the future when they may no longer be able to provide the same level of care. Contact: (0114) 275 8879

Norfolk Lodge, Park Grange Road, Sheffield, S2 3QF

Other Organisations You can also get help from: Carers UK 0808 808 7777

NHS Carers Direct 0808 802 0202


Worried about abuse All adults should be able to live free from fear and harm and have their rights and choices respected. Some adults are less able to protect themselves than others, and some have difficulty making their wishes and feelings known. This may make them vulnerable to abuse. Abuse may be physical or sexual, it may involve people taking money without permission, or not looking after someone properly. It may include bullying or humiliating, or not allowing contact with friends and family. Anyone can be an abuser – relatives, partners, people paid to provide care and services, volunteers, neighbours, friends and strangers. Abuse can be the result of a single act or may continue over months or years. Abuse can be accidental or a deliberate act.

Safeguarding Adults We take concerns about adult abuse seriously. We work with the Police and Health Services to make sure adults in Sheffield are safe. This work includes safeguarding and responding to the abuse of vulnerable adults. If you suspect abuse is happening contact the Adult Access Team on: (0114) 273 4908  dult Access Team Corporate Mail Facility, FREEPOST NEA5527, Town A Hall, Sheffield, S1 2ZZ 

First Point, Howden House, Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2HH

Sheffield Domestic Abuse Partnership You have the right to live life free from fear, violence and abuse. If you or someone you know is suffering from domestic abuse, the Sheffield Domestic Abuse Partnership can help you. 0808 808 2241


Worried about abuse Other sources of help Action for Elder Abuse 0808 808 8141 South Yorkshire Police (0114) 220 2020 Information on safeguarding and disability hate crime can be found on Signpost Sheffield: You can also contact Sheffield LINk (Local Involvement Network) which aims to give local people a real voice in the way local health and social care services are planned and delivered. If you have an issue or concern about social care or health services in Sheffield, Link may be able to help. (0114) 253 6690

Tell us what you think We welcome and value comments, complaints, compliments and suggestions about how we run our services. We use your feedback to improve our services. If you have a comment, compliment or complaint you can contact your Social Worker or Care Manager, or you can contact their manager. We want to resolve any concerns you have as quickly as possible, so if you contact a member of staff, or their manager, we’ll look into this straight away. We also have a formal complaints procedure if your complaint is something which the Social Work team manager is unable to resolve.


Tell us what you think If you want to make a comment, compliment or complaint about the service you get from Sheffield City Council, contact our Social Care Complaints Team: Complaints Team (0114) 273 5000

 omplaints Team, Customer Services, Sheffield City C Council, Town Hall, Pinstone Street, Sheffield, S1 2HH

Other information available Below is a list of other information leaflets and guides that are available on request. •G  uide to Residential and Nursing Care in Sheffield •E  quip yourself for Independent Living at Home •C  are & Support for Older People and Disabled Adults in Sheffield •A  guide to Active Ageing in Sheffield •E  quipment & Adaptations Getting the Help you need


• Community Mental Health Teams •S  ervices for People with Impaired Vision/Hearing • What is Adult Abuse •S  elf Directed Support Introductory Leaflet •S  elf Directed Support – Support Planning Toolkit • Right to Control •Q  uality Improvement Network (How to get Involved) • Travel Guide

•E  quipment & Adaptations - Ideas and Answers

• Community Support Service

•A  dult Placement - Shared Lives (respite and befriending)

•C  ommunity Assessment Reablement Service

• City Wide Care Alarms

•H  elp for Self Funders Living in Care Homes

•T  he Forge Centre (HIV/AIDS & Hepatitis C)

• Carers Emergency Support Team


This document can be supplied in alternative formats, please contact 0114 273 4908 Sheffield City Council Adult Access Team Tel: 0114 273 4908

one to one Community Care One to One Community Care services can provide care and support in your own home. Our services are tailored to your needs and may include • Personal Care (eg washing & dressing) • Practical tasks (eg laundry, shopping, cleaning) • Social Outings (covering postcodes S2, S6, S7, S10, S11, S17) Please give us a call to discuss your requirements

tel: 07909 591342



Every possible care has been taken to ensure that the information given in this publication is accurate. Whilst the publisher would be grateful to learn of any errors, they cannot accept any liability over and above the cost of the advertisement for loss there by caused. No reproduction by any method whatsoever of any part of this publication is permitted without written consent of the copyright owners. Octagon Marketing Company Ltd. ©2013 Britannic Chambers, 8a Carlton Road,Worksop, Notts. S80 1PH Tel: 01909 478822

As an Accredited member of the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) I can advise on a range of financial solutions which will help you to meet the cost of long term care and take into account any entitlement to State Benefits and NHS/Local Authority funding. There is a range of options available and even some plans that offer a offer a guaranteed regular income – tax free if paid directly to a nursing home* – for as long as it is needed. So there is no need to worry about money running out when you need it most.

Facing the prospect of long-term care fees?

While we have taken every care in compiling this booklet, the publishers and promoters cannot accept responsibility for any inaccuracies. Inclusion of any advertisement in no way endorses the services or products sold.

Call Romy Melville on 01302 346822 or email ProAktive IFA is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. *Tax may be subject to change in the future and depends on individual circumstances.

Tel 01143 270755 email: web:

“Eye care in your home,”a local independent service providing mobile eye care throughout Sheffield. If you cant get to a high street optician by yourself we offer a comprehensive mobile eye care service in the comfort of your own home.

❚ NHS accredited - offer both free NHS eye examinations and private eye care. ❚ Family run Opticians with many years of experience ❚ Frames to suit all budgets from free NHS to designer ❚ Professional spectacle dispensing and fitting service with personal delivery ❚ Full aftercare service

Serenta HomeCare Ltd. 134 Archer Road Sheffield S8 0JZ

For many people, the question of carer services at home does not arise until, there is a need! Most of us think that the choice is either living without help in our familiar surroundings or going into a nursing home. Serenta HomeCare stops all that. We offer a realistic alternative to allow people to stay at home, with familiar friends, relatives and possessions around them. With no upheaval, no stress and no trouble we are proud to provide Personal Care • Meal Preparation • Medication • Domestic • Sitting Service • Social and Leisure activities • CQC Approved

Serenta HomeCare are always recruiting, if interested please contact on the details below

To find out more call 0114 327 35 75 or email

“We want each and every one of out clients to feel cared about - not just cared for.” Our person-centred services include: • Companionship • Personal care • Medication reminders • Community support work • Alzheimer’s / Dementia care • Meal preparation

• Local transportation • Light housekeeping • Shopping errands • Emergency packages • Respite care / PA cover • Short & long term packages

The care we provide is funded in many ways, such as Direct Payments, Personalised Budgets, Independent Living Fund, directly from Social Services and privately too. Call us for an informal chat to discuss what you would like and how we could support you or your family.

“The staff are called CareGivers and they certainly live up to their name. They provide us with a special service and have never let us down” – Mrs S.

Call 0114 250 7709 Call 0114 246 9666

Designed & published by Octagon Marketing Company Ltd, Britannic Chambers, 8a Carlton Road, Worksop, Notts. S80 1PH Tel: 01909 478822

Are you in need of a little help and support within your own home? The older we get the more help we need to enable us to live a more independent life

A guide to independent living in Sheffield - June 2013  
A guide to independent living in Sheffield - June 2013