Page 1

OPTIONS Ashfield, Mansfield & Newark A guide to care and independent living

Summer 2018

Healthcare services Choosing the right one

NHS continuing healthcare Who’s eligible?

Leaving hospital What’s next?





guide CONTRIBUTORS: Age UK Nottingham & Nottinghamshire Alzheimer’s Society NHS Choices Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS FT Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS FT

Tel: 01623 625891 Charity No: 1131621 Registered in England No: 6972820 Disability Nottinghamshire is a registered charity, offering services for disabled people, their carers, families, professionals, students and friends. We are a user led charity and our services are provided by a team of volunteers who have personal experience of disability or caring plus a small staff group. Our aim is to enable disabled people living in Nottinghamshire to access better services, opportunities and entitlements by challenging exclusion. We Provide: • Welfare Benefits advice Appeals Advice • Advice on all aspects of disability • Education & training workshops Peer Support Groups Financial education workshops • Volunteering opportunities • And much more! And why not join ‘Our Voice’ community choir

Giving you the support to remain living independently






Crossroads Care North Notts has been based in Mansfield for the last 33 years and is a registered charity which provides support, both practical and emotional to those who provide care to children and young people, adults and elderly with physical disabilities, life limiting conditions, learning difficulties and chronic illnesses. We offer a variety of personal care and respite packages as well as day care services aimed at providing support for carers to help meet their individual and specific needs and those of their loved ones. We support various funding methods from self funding to managed packages and direct payments.


01623 658535

m o @ c s . e s i ir sroad u q n e ncros n 2

Contents Ask for Newark Hospital........................................................................................................ 4-5 Help Sherwood Forest Hospitals to #EndPJParalysis!.................................................................. 6 Improving patient experience; the Bluebell Room...................................................................... 7 Mental Health Services for Older People – The Worry Catcher Service.................................... 8-9 NHS continuing healthcare................................................................................................. 10-12 Taking charge of your own personal budget....................................................................... 12-13 What is NHS-funded nursing care?.......................................................................................... 14 Self-funding: paying for your own care and support........................................................... 15-16 Care and support: what’s available..................................................................................... 16-17 Driving and using public transport...................................................................................... 18-19 Age UK Nottingham & Nottinghamshire’s Services............................................................. 20-21 Alzheimer’s Society Services in Nottinghamshire................................................................. 22-23 The Care Quality Commission Social Care top tips................................................................... 24 Useful contacts....................................................................................................................... 25 NHS hospitals and services in Mansfield and Newark............................................................... 26

Welcome and


This guide is intended to help you, your carer and your relatives understand how your local health services can help you after discharge from hospital. Also information to help you to live independently or access support and care services in your area.

Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Nottingham & Nottinghamshire



With a fantastic range of outpatient clinics, therapy services, surgical and medical day case procedures, inpatient services and rehab, as well as the Newark Urgent Care Centre, Sherwood Forest Hospitals are encouraging more people to choose Newark when it comes to their treatments. We know that many people in and around Newark want to get their treatment closer to home, but that they aren’t always fully aware of the full range of services available at Newark Hospital – if this is you remember you can always ask for Newark when you are making an appointment!

Why chose Newark?

and our staff do all they can to ensure you feel at ease and comfortable. •Z  ero tolerance to infections: Newark Hospital achieved top scores in a 2017 national assessment for cleanliness putting us among the best hospitals in the country, and our nurses and team of cleaning staff can be very proud of their success. We are now proud to have gone 15 months without a single hospital acquired infection.

• Newark Hospital is an important and much loved part of our community with the purpose of providing a broad range of healthcare services locally, we are focused on We are focused continuing to develop the hospital on continuing to and ensuring that wherever develop the hospital possible local people receive their and ensuring that care in Newark. • Our services are delivered by over 400 dedicated nurses, doctors, allied health professionals, administrators and support staff who all play important roles. We are also blessed to have over 200 volunteers who generously provide their time to help staff and visitors.

wherever possible local people receive their care in Newark.

• This year more patients visited Newark Hospital for a clinic appointment than last year, more people have received care from our Urgent Care Centre, and more for diagnostic tests. However as you walk around the hospital you will find a calm environment 4

Newark Hospital – Our services Outpatient clinics We provide a wide range of specialty clinics and our outpatients team work hard to ensure that we offer good access, personalised care and a positive patient experience. Bramley Children’s Unit

The Bramley is a purpose built area for outpatient services for children and young people, enabling them to receive care at their local hospital. This includes general clinics, allergy, ENT, endocrine, diabetes, respiratory and clinics for urgent referrals. Therapies Our therapy teams provide a range of inpatient

Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

and outpatient services. We provide assessment, rehabilitation and pre and post-operative treatment to inpatients, while our outpatient therapy services include neurological, hand therapy, rheumatology, women’s health, musculoskeletal, respiratory and cardiac rehabilitation.

We’re proud of the service’s consistently high performance in providing patients with timely care.

Day Case Surgery Patients can now undergo a wide range of day case surgery at Newark Hospital including; Dermatology and Plastics Urology; Breast Orthopaedics; Gynaecology Pain; General Surgery Ophthalmology, and Podiatric Surgery. Medical Day Case We now offer a range of medical day case procedures at Newark Hospital including infusions, transfusions, rheumatology treatments, gastroenterology treatments, and haematology treatments. Diagnostics We are able to offer a wide range of tests on site

including X-Ray, ultrasound, CT imaging, MRI scanning and diagnostic endoscopy procedures. Inpatient Services Our 24 bed sub-acute Sconce ward provides a positive and welcoming environment so that people feel at ease through a difficult time in their lives. Our focus is on quality patient care. Fernwood Community Unit Fernwood is our 12 bed rehabilitation unit which takes patients from an acute episode of care in another hospital, or from their GP or a community service, for a short period of intensive rehab. Urgent Care Our Newark Urgent Care Centre is open 24/7 to treat urgent but not life threatening conditions. We’re proud of the service’s consistently high performance in providing patients with timely care. Other Services Newark Hospital also offers a range of other services including orthotics, sexual health, midwifery, respiratory care, phlebotomy and preoperative assessment.

>> 5

Help Sherwood Forest Hospitals to #EndPJParalysis! Our hospitals are getting patients get more independent, and home more quickly – and you can help! We are big believers in the #EndPJParalysis campaign which started on social media and is aims to get our patients, up, dressed and moving (where practical) – helping them get out of a hospital environment sooner. That’s why our patients are being encouraged to bring clothes into hospital with them so that, where appropriate, they can change out of pyjamas and into their clothes and get up and move around, as part of a national campaign.

Why? It’s really simple. Because wearing pyjamas for many patients reinforces the ‘sick role’ and can prevent a

speedier recovery. Helping patients get into their own clothes not only helps them to recover more quickly, but it changes how they are viewed by staff and the patient’s family. Obviously the idea won’t be right for every single inpatient, but for the ones it is right for can really benefit from the positive mindset it brings with it.

The facts • For every 10 days of bed-rest in hospital, the equivalent of 10 years of muscle ageing occurs in people over 80-years old, and building this muscle strength back up takes twice as long as it does to deteriorate. • One week of bed-rest equates to 10% loss in strength • No matter how old a patient is, they will lose muscle strength during their stay, albeit at different levels, so it really is in the interests of our patients to help them be as mobile as possible.

What can you do? If you or someone in your family is coming for a stay in hospital make sure you bring some of your own clothes to get changed in to when you can. Always follow the expert advice, but bear in mind that being mobile and building up strength will improve your recovery. By getting patients into their own clothes and building their strength, as well as improving their mental outlook on the reason for their stay, it enhances the mental wellbeing of patients as they are encouraged to take greater responsibility for their own health and become active participants in their personal health journey. Your time is precious help us help you to spend as little of it as possible in hospital! 6

Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Improving patient experience; the Bluebell Room The new Bluebell Room at Sherwood Forest Hospital’s Emergency Department which provides a calmer, quieter experience for patients with sensory needs, including dementia is proving very popular with patients, carers and staff.

The room was the brainchild of Natalie Bradbury, a registered nurse in the Emergency Department and came about after she reflected on her experience caring for one particular patient brought into the department as an emergency, who already distressed by the experience was clearly then overwhelmed and frightened by the unfamiliar, busy environment.

that can cause anxiety and fear in individuals with sensory needs, which can also lead to less effective nursing. The Bluebell room instead provides a visually calming and relaxed atmosphere that allows patients to be nursed within ED but away from the noisy environment that can increase anxieties.

“I asked myself why are we nursing this person in this area when what they need is somewhere quiet and calm and recognised that the whole experience would have been improved had there have been an area within the department that provided a calm and more relaxing environment.”

Local care homes which provide specialist care for patients with dementia were involved in the design of the room. Decorated with calming Bluebell wallpaper, it has comfortable chairs and a table for activities including a radio, reminiscence packs, jigsaws, and playing cards. This helps pass the time and again reduces stress and anxiety whilst awaiting interventions.

As with all hospitals, the Emergency Department (ED) at King’s Mill Hospital is often a busy environment

The since opening in December 2017, the room has received overwhelmingly positive feedback from patients, carers

Natalie said:

and staff. Once the room was opened Natalie can recall a moment when she nursed a patient in the Bluebell Room who happened to have quite advanced dementia. The patient really enjoyed music so they put the radio on and she began singing along to a song and reminiscing about her dancing days. The patient was animated and engaged and was a pleasure to nurse. This enforced that simple measures such as providing music can have such a positive impact and reduces anxieties. We want patients, carers and our partners such as the East Midlands Ambulance Service to know that the Bluebell Room exists and to ask for it where it would be beneficial. The creation of the Bluebell Room was possible thanks to funds donated by the Sherwood Forest Hospitals Charity.


Mental Health Services for Older People

The Worry Catcher Service Going into hospital can be a worrying and daunting time for both the patient and their family. Having someone independent to talk to about those worries and concerns, however big or small, can make all the difference. This is where the Age UK Notts Worry Catcher Service can help, offering free, independent person-centred support to patients, along with their relatives and carers, during their stay in hospital. The Worry Catcher Service was initially introduced by Age UK Notts supporting residents and their families in care homes in Nottingham City and County in 2013. Following its success in care homes the Worry Catcher Service branched out into the hospital setting and since April 2017 Age UK Notts has been working in partnership with Nottinghamshire Healthcare’s Mental Health Services for Older People (MHSOP), providing the Worry Catcher Service at Highbury Hospital on both Cherry and Silver Birch Wards. The service aims to provide the best possible patient experience on the ward and in connection with their discharge from hospital. The service offers: • An independent and confidential service tailored to patients’ needs • Someone to provide a listening ear and discuss any concerns with • Support and representation – someone independent to speak on your behalf • Information to enable you to make informed choices and decisions • Information on other agencies and services that can help with any issues whilst someone is in hospital, as well as community services for when people are discharged. In addition, the service offers supported signposting to these services as needed Extra support offered: • Information on financial matters and benefits • Information on health and social care matters • Details on services available in the community once discharged home e.g. befriending, day care, shopping services, social groups 8

Over the last year, Lindsey Shepherd, Worry Catcher Coordinator for Age UK Notts, has been providing this service. She says: “We have worked closely with MHSOP making suggestions to improve the patients’ stay on the wards and around admission and discharge. Patients have spent time with me discussing their stay on the wards and what could be improved to make their stay better. They have disclosed their concerns and worries about being discharged from the ward and I have then worked in partnership with them and the ward staff and/ or other appropriate professionals to support individual patient’s needs” Lindsey meets with patients on a one to one basis on her regular weekly visits to the wards, and also attends Patients and Relatives Meetings which are organised by the hospital. The service can also be provided over the telephone or via email, and Lindsey can arrange to meet family off the ward if they would prefer. The support that patients have received over the last year has been varied and could be simple things such as being made aware that they can access earplugs at night to help them sleep, to making a referral to the Occupational Therapy Team to be assessed for a walking aid to support their mobility. Financial matters, including benefits, are often a great worry for patients and their families and the Worry Catcher Service has provided information and support around these issues whilst in hospital, with referrals being made for patients to receive benefits advice once they are discharged. Support has been given to apply for a Blue Badge for a patient as well as finding out information relating to driving/car insurance having been sectioned under the Mental Health Act. Improvements have been made where patients have raised issues on the ward such as: the mealtime experience; having a quiet space on the ward to sit; being able to access the ‘family room’, gym and allotment,

Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

within the hospital. The Worry Catcher has worked with ward staff to make sure that patients gain access to all the facilities available to them during their stay in hospital, thereby improving their overall patient experience. One patient said of the Worry Catcher Service, “I think the service is brilliant – the way you can talk things through like this and get so much information. You’ve been so helpful, thank you”. In terms of providing support to relatives, Lindsey is able to help them to understand the terminology used within the hospital setting, as well as helping them to understand discharge pathways, provide support and representation in meetings with health professionals, which has included helping relatives to formalise questions they wished to raise in a meeting with the psychiatric consultant, to taking time to explain how relatives can communicate well with their loved ones who are living with dementia after they have reached out to her for help. Much support has also been given to relatives and carers around the discharge of their loved ones, eg giving information around care homes or referring them to Age UK Notts’ Housing Options Service or other appropriate agencies, as well as providing information around Lasting

Powers of Attorney (LPA) and Deputyship matters for both health and welfare and finances. One relative said of the Worry Catcher Service, “I’m so pleased to meet you and it has been so well timed, I was very worried. Thank you for listening to me. What an excellent service this is. You’ve been brilliant, thank you”. From April this year, following the service’s success at Highbury Hospital, Age UK Notts, in partnership with MHSOP, are expanding the Worry Catcher Service to include all MHSOP wards across the county of Nottingham. This will include Kingsley and Amber Wards at Millbrook Mental Health Unit, and the Clumber and Blyth Units on B1 Ward at Bassetlaw Hospital. For more information about the Worry Catcher Service, please contact Lindsey Shepherd on 0115 855 3382 or 07872 839 614, or alternatively email her at Age UK Nottingham & Nottinghamshire enhances the quality of life and promotes the health & wellbeing of all older people. We are the largest local independent charity (Charity No. 1067881) providing a wide range of services for older people from all communities and backgrounds in the city and county. Last year we helped over 42,000 older people.


NHS continuing healthcare Some people with long-term complex health needs qualify for free social care arranged and funded solely by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare. Where can NHS continuing healthcare be provided? NHS continuing healthcare can be provided in a variety of settings outside hospital, such as in your home or in a registered care home.

Am I eligible for NHS continuing healthcare? NHS continuing healthcare is for adults. Children and young people may receive a “continuing care package” if they have needs arising from disability, accident or illness that can’t be met by existing universal or specialist services alone. To be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, you must be assessed by a team of healthcare professionals (a “multidisciplinary team”). The team will look at all your care needs and relate them to: • what help you need • how complex your needs are • how intense or severe your needs can be • how unpredictable they are, including any risks to your health if the right care isn’t provided at the right time Your eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare depends on your assessed needs, and not on any particular diagnosis or condition. If your needs change then your eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare may change. You should be fully involved in the assessment process and kept informed, and have your views about your needs and support taken into account. Carers and family members should also be consulted where appropriate. A decision about eligibility should usually be made within 28 days of it being decided that the person needs a full assessment for NHS continuing healthcare. If you aren’t eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, you can be referred to your local authority who can discuss with you whether you may be eligible for support from them. If you still have some health needs then the NHS may pay for part of the package of support. This is sometimes known as a “joint package” of care.

NHS continuing healthcare assessments Clinical commissioning groups, known as CCGs (the NHS organisations that commission local health services), must assess you for NHS continuing healthcare if it seems that you may need it. For most people, there’s an initial checklist assessment, which is used to decide if you need a full assessment. However, if you need care urgently – for 10

example, if you’re terminally ill – your assessment may be fast-tracked.

Initial assessment for NHS continuing healthcare The initial checklist assessment can be completed by a nurse, doctor, other healthcare professional or social worker. You should be told that you’re being assessed, and be asked for your consent. Depending on the outcome of the checklist, you’ll either be told that you don’t meet the criteria for a full assessment of NHS continuing healthcare and are therefore not eligible, or you’ll be referred for a full assessment of eligibility. Being referred for a full assessment doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare. The purpose of the checklist is to enable anyone who might be eligible to have the opportunity for a full assessment. The professional(s) completing the checklist should record in writing the reasons for their decision, and sign and date it. You should be given a copy of the completed checklist. You can download a blank copy of the NHS continuing healthcare checklist from GOV.UK.

Full assessment for NHS continuing healthcare Full assessments for NHS continuing healthcare are undertaken by a “multidisciplinary team” made up of a minimum of two health or care professionals who are already involved in your care. You should be informed who is co-ordinating the NHS continuing healthcare assessment. The team’s assessment will consider your needs under the following headings: • behaviour • cognition (understanding) • communication • psychological/emotional needs • mobility • nutrition (food and drink) • continence • skin (including wounds and ulcers) • breathing • symptom control through drug therapies and medication • altered states of consciousness • other significant needs

These needs are given a weighting marked “priority”, “severe”, “high”, “moderate”, “low” or “no needs”. If you have at least one priority need, or severe needs in at least two areas, you should be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare. You may also be eligible if you have a severe need in one area plus a number of other needs, or a number of high or moderate needs, depending on their nature, intensity, complexity or unpredictability. In all cases, the overall need, and interactions between needs, will be taken into account, together with evidence from risk assessments, in deciding whether NHS continuing healthcare should be provided. The assessment should take into account your views and the views of any carers you have. You should be given a copy of the decision documents, along with clear reasons for the decision. You can download a blank copy of the NHS continuing healthcare decision support tool.

Fast-track assessment for NHS continuing healthcare If your health is deteriorating quickly and you’re nearing the end of your life, you should be considered for the NHS continuing healthcare fast track pathway, so that an appropriate care and support package can be put in place as soon as possible – usually within 48 hours. An organisation called Beacon gives free independent advice on NHS continuing healthcare. Visit the Beacon website or call the free helpline on 0345 548 0300.

Care and support planning

collaboratively with you and consider your views when agreeing your care and support package and the setting where it will be provided. However, they can also take other factors into account, such as the cost and value for money of different options.

NHS continuing healthcare reviews If you’re eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, your needs and support package will normally be reviewed within three months and thereafter at least annually. This review will consider whether your existing care and support package meets your assessed needs. If your needs have changed, the review will also consider whether you’re still eligible for NHS continuing healthcare.

Refunds for delays in NHS continuing healthcare funding CCGs will normally make a decision about eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare within 28 days of getting a completed checklist or request for a full assessment, unless there are circumstances beyond its control. If the CCG decides you’re eligible, but takes longer than 28 days to decide this and the delay is unjustifiable, they should refund any care costs from the 29th day until the date of their decision. If your CCG decided that you weren’t eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, but then revised this decision after a dispute, it should refund your care costs for the period between their original decision and their revised decision.


If you’re eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, the next stage is to arrange a care and support package that meets your assessed needs. Depending on your situation, different options could be suitable, including support in your own home and the option of a personal health budget. If it’s agreed that a care home is the best option for you, there could be more than one local care home that’s suitable. Your CCG should work 11

If you’re not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare If you’re not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, but you’re assessed as requiring nursing care in a care home (in other words, a care home that’s registered to provide nursing care) you’ll be eligible for NHS-funded nursing care. This means that the NHS will pay a contribution towards the cost of your registered nursing care. NHS-funded nursing care is available irrespective of who is funding the rest of the care home fees. Read more information from NHS England about NHS continuing healthcare.

Frequently asked questions about NHS continuing healthcare I have a local authority support package that works well. I’m now eligible for NHS continuing healthcare – will my support package change? If you’re concerned about changes to your care package because of a move to NHS continuing healthcare, your CCG should talk to you about ways that it can give you as much choice and control as possible. This could include the use of a personal health budget, with one option being a “direct payment for healthcare”. Can I refuse an assessment for NHS continuing healthcare? If I refuse, will I be able to get services from my local authority? An assessment for NHS continuing healthcare can’t be carried out without your consent, so it’s possible to refuse. However, if you refuse, although you’ll still be entitled to an assessment by the local authority there’s no guarantee that you’ll be provided with services. There’s a legal limit on the type of services that a local authority can provide. If you refuse to be assessed for NHS continuing healthcare, the CCG should explore your reasons for refusing, and try to address your concerns. If someone lacks the mental capacity to consent to or refuse an assessment, the principles of the Mental Capacity Act will apply and in most circumstances an assessment will be provided in the person’s best interest. My relative is in a care home and has become eligible for NHS continuing healthcare. The CCG says the fees charged by this care home are more than they would usually pay, and has proposed a move to a different care home. I think a move will have a negative effect on my relative. What can we do? If there’s evidence that a move is likely to have a detrimental effect on your relative’s health or wellbeing, discuss this with the CCG. It will take your concerns into account when considering the most appropriate arrangements. If the CCG decides to arrange an alternative placement, they should provide a reasonable choice of homes. Is it possible to pay top-up fees for NHS continuing healthcare? No, it isn’t possible to top up NHS continuing healthcare packages, like you can with local authority care packages. The only way that NHS continuing healthcare packages can be topped up privately is if you pay for additional private services on top of the services you get from the NHS. These private services should be provided by different staff and preferably in a different setting.

Content supplied by:


Taking charge

If your local authority agrees to how your needs are met. You’ll be given a personal budget, and can choose to receive it as a direct payment.

Personal budgets A personal budget is the amount of money the local authority allocates for your care, based on its assessment of your needs. You can be put in charge of this budget either by telling the local authority how you would like it spent, or by the council giving you the money so you can directly pay for your own care (a direct payment). It can also be given to a separate organisation (such as a user-controlled trust) that will spend the money on your care as you see fit, if you prefer. You can choose a combination of the above (for example, a direct payment with some council-arranged care and support), often called a mixed package. Find out how personal budgets work.

Direct payments Direct payments give you the most control over your care. If you’re unhappy with the services you’re getting, you can decide to change who gives you the care services without having to go through the local authority. But you have to be able to account for how you spend the budget. And you have responsibilities as an employer if you hire a personal assistant with your direct payment. The Money Advice Service has a guide to using direct payments.

The pros and cons of taking charge of your personal budget Being in control of your own personal budget means you have to spend some time and effort thinking about your

ge of your own personal budget

o pay for some or all of your home care needs, it must offer you choice and control over care and support needs and the outcomes you want. There may be extra responsibilities. For example, if you decide to request a direct payment to cover the cost of homecare, you could use the payment to hire an individual, giving you the responsibilities of an employer. Alternatively, you could hire care workers through an agency. This removes the legal obligations of being an employer, but may cost more and may remove some of the benefits of having the same person provide your care. Read more about how to choose care services.

Creating your care plan You and your social worker or care manager need to work together to create a care plan. This plan details your care and support needs, and can be used to work out the value of your personal budget. Your care plan should include: • what’s important to you, including your interests, lifestyle, personal tastes and the people in your life • your hopes for the future, such as whether you’d like to study or take on more hobbies outside the home • what limitations you currently have and how you want to change • what you want to achieve by managing your own support Make sure you include information about how you’ll manage your money and what you’ll spend the money on (including personal assistants, transport, housing adaptations, therapists and respite services). Clarify how you’ll receive your money. If you choose to receive your personal budget as a direct payment, the local authority may pay the money straight into a bank account that you control (you must set up a new bank account to do this) or they may give you a pre-paid card. Alternatively, you may prefer your personal budget to be managed by the local authority or by someone else, such as: • a friend or family member (the local authority must agree to this) • a broker, independent social worker or an advocate • your care manager or social worker Discuss these options with your social worker or carer to work out which option is best for you. If someone else will be looking after your money, you may need to create a decision-making agreement. This should

state how they’ll look after your money and what decisions they can and can’t make on your behalf. The local authority may want to check what you do with your money to make sure you’re spending your budget appropriately, and your care and support needs are being met. You may need to keep receipts (especially for large purchases) so you can show them you have spent your money responsibly. If you choose a direct payment, the council will give you a direct payment agreement that sets out the terms and conditions. If you’re struggling to manage your money, the local authority can advise you on how to make your money work best for you.

Check your care plan is working Meet with your local authority at least once a year to discuss whether your care plan is working. This is an opportunity to discuss whether your needs are being met in the best way, and it’s also your chance to talk about changes you want to make for the future. You don’t have to wait for a review meeting to change the way you spend your budget. You can change things as you go along. If you want to make a big change, consult your care manager or social worker, who may arrange a review. You can ask for a review meeting about your care plan at any time. To prepare for a review, provide any receipts you have kept since you were awarded a personal budget. If someone is managing your funds for you, get them to join the review meeting.

Disagreements about care plans and personal budgets If you have been told that you’re not eligible for services or you don’t agree with the amount allocated to you in your personal budget, you can ask for a reassessment. Speak to your social worker or care manager about being reassessed, or phone your local authority social services department and request a complaints form.

Content supplied by:


What is NHS-funded nursing care? NHS-funded nursing care is care provided by a registered nurse for people who live in a care home. The NHS will pay a flat rate contribution directly to the care home towards the cost of this registered nursing care. Who is eligible for NHS-funded nursing care?

commissioning group (CCG) can arrange an assessment for you.

You may be eligible for NHS-funded nursing care if:

Outcome of the assessment

• you are not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare but have been assessed as needing care from a registered nurse

If you’re eligible for NHS-funded nursing care, the NHS will arrange and fund nursing care provided by registered nurses employed by the care home. Services provided by a registered nurse can include planning, supervising and monitoring nursing and healthcare tasks, as well as direct nursing care.

• you live in a care home registered to provide nursing care

How will my needs be assessed? You should be assessed for NHS continuing healthcare before a decision is made about whether you are eligible for NHS-funded nursing care. Most people don’t need a separate assessment for NHS-funded nursing care. However, if you do need an assessment or you haven’t already had one, your clinical

If you’re not eligible for NHS-funded nursing care and you don’t agree with the decision about your eligibility, you can ask your CCG to review the decision.

What is the rate of payment for NHS-funded nursing care? NHS-funded nursing care is paid at the same rate across England. In April 2018, the rate was set at £158.16 a week (standard rate). Before October 1 2007, there were three different levels or bands of payment for NHS-funded nursing care – low, medium and high. If you moved into a care home before October 1 2007, and you were on the low or medium bands, you would have been transferred to the standard rate from that date. If you moved into a care home before October 1 2007, and you were on the high band, NHS-funded nursing care is paid at a higher rate. In April 2018, the higher rate was set at £217.59 a week. You’re entitled to continue on this rate unless: • you no longer have nursing needs • you no longer live in a care home that provides nursing • y our nursing needs have reduced and you’re no longer eligible for the high band, when you would change to the standard rate of £158.16 a week, or • y ou become entitled to NHS continuing healthcare instead. Content supplied by:


Self-funding: paying for your own

care and support

If you have more than £23,250 in savings (not including the value of your home or your pension), you may have to pay the full cost of your care. This is known as being a self-funder. The number of people paying for their own care is growing. While some people are eligible for funding from their council, many end up paying for all of their care.

Arranging your care as a self funder If you’re paying for your own care, you do not need to have a needs assessment first - you can go directly to a homecare agency or care home and organise it yourself without involving social services. But, it’s a good idea to have a needs assessment before arranging your care. This is because you will then have a clear idea of what your care needs are. You will know, for example, whether you need a professional carer to come in for 2 hours a day or 2 hours a week - and what specifically they should help you with. Ask for a copy of your needs assessment, so you have a record of your assessed needs. Request a needs assessment from your local council’s social services department. Once you know what your care needs are you can either: • organise your care package yourself or • a sk social services to commission and arrange it on your behalf (this option depends on where you live, some councils do not offer this service)

How much will care cost? Care is expensive and the bills can mount up. Knowing how much you’ll pay and how costs might change will make things less stressful. Homecare Homecare is where a professional carer comes to your home, for example for a couple of hours a day, to help you with tasks like getting washed and dressed, and household chores like preparing meals, cleaning and gardening. The recommended hourly rate is around £17.00, but this will vary according to where you live. Live-in homecare costs from around £650 a week. It can cost as much as £1,600 a week if you have complex needs. Care homes There are 2 types of care home. A residential home offers only personal care. A nursing home offers nursing care as well as personal care. • a room in a residential home costs around £600 a week • a room in a nursing home costs around £840 a week These prices will vary according to where you live and

the type of care you need. For example, serious medical conditions like dementia can increase the cost.

Will I have to sell my home? • no, you won’t have to sell your home to pay for help in your own home • yes, you may have to sell your home if you need to move permanently into a care home. Social services works out how much you’re expected to pay towards your care and support through a financial assessment - or means test. Your property will not be included in the means test if you’re arranging for help in your home. Your property will usually be included in the means test if you need to move permanently into a care home. Sometimes it won’t be included, for example if it’s still the main home of your partner.

Alternatives to selling your home The main ways to avoid selling your home to pay care home fees are: • releasing money from your home • renting out your home • deferred payments Releasing money from your home Equity release allows you to release money from your home without selling it. Make sure you get independent financial advice before considering this. The Money Advice Service has more information on equity release. Renting out your home If you need to fund your care in a care home but don’t want to sell your home, you could consider renting it out and using the income to help pay your care home fees. Deferred payments Where there is a delay in selling your property, or if you don’t want to sell it immediately, you may be eligible to have your care fee payment postponed. This is known as deferred payments. It’ where the council temporarily covers the cost of your care and you repay them later. If the local council agrees to the deferred payment and pays your care home fees, it will take payment from the money raised once the property is sold. This can be: • during your lifetime if you choose to sell your home >> 15

•o  nce you die, in which case the local council can be repaid from your estate A deferred payment scheme is only available if you don’t have enough money to cover your care home fees, and you have less than £23,250 in savings. In these circumstances, the savings don’t include the value of your property, but do include money in bank accounts.

What you may be able to get for free Even if you are a self-funder, you may be eligible for some free care and support regardless of your income, including: •N  HS care such as NHS continuing healthcare, NHS-funded nursing care and care after you’ve been discharged from hospital • benefits such as Attendance Allowance. Make sure you’re claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to with this online benefits calculator • equipment or home adaptations that cost less than £1,000

If your savings run out If your savings fall below £23,250, you might be eligible for council help. Contact your local council about 3 months before you think your savings will reach this level and ask for a reassessment of your finances and care needs. Councils will only provide funding from the date you contact them for help. So if your capital has already dropped below £23,250 before you contact them, you won’t be reimbursed.

Get advice on paying for care The system of paying for care is complex and every case is different. You can get independent advice about paying for care from: • T he Money Advice Service. Call their helpline on 0300 500 5000. • The Society of Later Life Advisers • Age UK • Which? Elderly Care • Independent Age Content supplied by:


Care and support: what

If you need help around the home, a good option is to hav Home care costs around £18 an hour. Depending on your circumstances, this may be funded by your local council or you may have to pay yourself.

Types of care and support

Care and support comes in many forms and there are many names used to describe it, including home help, care attendants, and “carers” (not to be confused with unpaid family or friends who care for you). Care and support can suit you if you need: • personal care, such as washing or dressing • housekeeping or domestic work, such as vacuuming • help with cooking or preparing meals • nursing and healthcare • companionship Care and support can be very flexible. The same person or agency may be able to provide some or all of these options for the duration of your care: • long-term 24-hour care • short breaks for an unpaid family carer • emergency care • day care • sessions ranging from 15-minute visits to 24-hour assistance and everything in between If you already know what you want, you can search NHS Choices directories for: • local care and support services and agencies • a list of national care and support organisations • supported living services – these are services that can help you stay safe and well in your home on a long-term basis, including financial help, help with medicines, advocacy, social support and practical support • a place to live with a family who will care for you – this is known as shared lives services or adult placement services

Funding home care

If you believe you might benefit from some help at home, the first thing to do is to contact your local authority’s social services department to ask for a care needs assessment. If you’re eligible for care and support services funded by your local council, your local council may provide or arrange the help themselves. Alternatively, you can arrange your own care, funded by the council, through direct payments or a personal budget. If you choose direct payments or a personal budget, or you aren’t eligible for council funding and want to get care privately, you can arrange it in several different ways: • using a care and support agency • hiring a personal assistant • getting care and support from a charity, such as Age UK

Independent care and support agencies

If you use an independent care and support agency, you or the person looking after you has to find the care agency and pay them. The agency will provide a service through a trained team of care workers,

t’s available

ve a care worker come into your home to help you. which means you may not always have the same person visiting your home, although the agency will do its best to take your choices into account. Care and support providers are regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). They must meet the CQC’s national minimum standards and regulations in areas such as training and record keeping. The CQC has the power to inspect agencies and enforce standards. Care and support agencies must vet care and support workers before engaging them by taking up references and carrying out Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks on potential employees. Care and support agencies can also: • take over the burden of being an employer – for example, payroll, training, disciplinary issues and insurance • train their care and support workers through national qualifications and service-specific training • replace workers when they’re ill, on holiday or resign • put things right when they go wrong An agency will want to see you and the person looking after you so they can assess your needs. This also means you can make a joint decision about the right type of care and support. Find out more from the UK Homecare Association.

How much does a care and support agency cost?

Using a care and support agency can be expensive. The agency will charge a fee on top of the payment made to the care worker to cover their running costs and profits. You normally have to make a regular payment to the agency, which includes both the worker’s earnings and the agency’s fee.

to act as a care and support worker for you. Personal assistants can offer you all that you’ll get from an agency worker, but you’ll also get continuity, familiarity and an ongoing relationship with an assistant. But if you employ a personal assistant, you have the legal responsibility of an employer. This includes arranging cover for their illness and holidays. Which? Elderly Care has advice on employing private individuals. Get more information on becoming an employer.

Care and support from charities

Charities such as Age UK and Carers Trust can provide home help. Carers Trust also supports carers by giving them a break from their caring responsibilities through care and support services. Marie Curie Nurses can provide practical and emotional support for people near the end of their lives in their own homes.

Complaining about care and support

You have the right to make a complaint about any aspect of care and support. It’s a good idea to ask a care and support agency or charity about their complaints policy before you start to use their carers. Read more about how to make a complaint about the care and support you or someone else is receiving. If you are finding it difficult to make a complaint, find out how an advocate can help you. Content supplied by:

Questions to ask when using a care and support agency

Before deciding to go ahead with an agency, you should ask questions about the fee and what it covers. These include: • Does the agency check references? • What training and supervision do they provide? • What’s their complaints policy? • Who’s responsible for insurance? • Is there any out-of-hours or emergency contact if needed? • Will they be able to provide staff if your own care worker is ill or away? If an agency is contracted to provide care every day, it must do that.

Hiring a personal assistant

Instead of using an agency, you can hire a personal assistant

Exemplar Homecare is a family run business based in Nottinghamshire, providing care services to clients in their own homes in the Mansfield and Ashfield areas. Services we provide: • Personal care • Medication administration • Bathing and dressing • Meal preparation • Sit in service • Shopping • Laundry and domestic duties

Call our friendly team on:

01623 287988

For more information please visit our website: for a FREE no obligation assessment and discussion of your needs

Your Life, Your Care, Your Way 17

Driving and using

public transport

Although mobility problems make it harder to get around, transport has been getting more accessible for disabled and elderly people over the years. You can get help:

allow a companion to travel with the pass holder for free.

• using public transport

You may have to apply through your local authority, but in most areas you can apply online for an older person’s bus pass or for a disabled person’s bus pass.

• getting discounts on public transport • from the NHS with travel costs • finding community transport schemes If you have mobility problems and you need a car to get around, you may be able to get help with costs through: • discounted or free road tax • a Blue Badge parking permit • help with the cost of buying or hiring a vehicle through the Motability scheme

Children aged 5 to 16 with disabilities are eligible for a Disabled Person’s Railcard. This lets an adult to travel with them for a third of the cost of an adult fare, while the child pays the normal child fare.

Using public transport with a disability

Taxi and private hire companies can provide wheelchair-accessible vehicles if you ask for one when you book a vehicle.

All public transport vehicles have to be “accessible” so disabled passengers can use them. Public transport also has to accept guide dogs or assistance dogs.

Some councils also give free taxi vouchers to people who find it difficult to use public transport because they’re frail or disabled.

But if you’re using public transport, it’s worth contacting the transport operator before you travel to make sure they’re able to offer the assistance you require.

NHS help with travel and transport costs

Buses and trains usually have priority seating for older people and people with disabilities. They also usually have space and wide doors for wheelchairs. Some buses, trains and trams are fitted with automatic ramps. The London Underground is being upgraded to improve step-free access. Staff at Underground stations are also trained to help people move around the underground system – for example, by helping you avoid escalators and calling ahead to arrange for assistance at your destination. Discounts on public transport for older people and disabled people Older people and people with disabilities can travel free on local buses anywhere in England between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday, and at any time during the weekend and on bank holidays. Some authorities offer free travel for longer, and some 18

If you often travel by train, it’s probably worth getting a Disabled Railcard Card. This gives you a third off the price of rail tickets. Check the criteria to see if you’re eligible.

If you pay to travel to a hospital or other NHS premises for NHS-funded treatment or diagnostic tests, you may be able to claim a refund of reasonable travel costs. Find out more about the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme and who’s eligible.

Community transport schemes These schemes provide transport to and from hospitals, doctors’ and dentists’ surgeries, and opticians and chiropodists. Many areas offer a free “Dial-a-Ride” service, offering door-to-door transport for people unable to use normal buses. Some schemes require you to register and may charge a fee. Carers may be able to travel with you for an additional charge. Check with your local council whether your area has a community transport scheme. The British Red Cross runs a similar transport service

in some areas. Contact your local Red Cross branch for information.

Cars and parking Road tax reductions If you’re disabled or have a serious long-term condition, you might be eligible for a reduction in your road tax, or even be exempt from it altogether. Find out more on GOV.UK about vehicle tax exemption and vehicle tax reduction.

Central London is exempt from the national Blue Badge regulations and the central London boroughs of Kensington and Chelsea, Camden, Westminster and City of London don’t fully operate the Blue Badge scheme. But if you’re exempt from road tax or have a Blue Badge permit, you may be able to get an exemption from paying the central London congestion charge.

Motability scheme

Blue Badge disabled parking scheme

The Motability scheme allows some disabled people receiving a mobility allowance to get a car, powered wheelchair or scooter.

If you have severe mobility problems that make using public transport difficult, you may be able to get a Blue Badge parking permit for your car.

The scheme uses some or all of your mobility benefit payments to cover the cost of contract hire or hire purchase of an appropriate vehicle.

This lets you park closer to places you wish to visit, such as in marked disabled parking bays.

You can also pay an extra amount of money if you want a more expensive vehicle.

You may also be able to:

Find out more about how the scheme works and who can join.

• park for free within certain time limits in some places • park on single and double yellow lines • stay longer in on-street time-limited parking bays

Editorial content for pages 10-19 supplied by:

Blue Badge schemes are run by councils. Most councils will let you apply for a Blue Badge online.

NHS Choices have not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does NHS Choices endorse any of the products or services. All information and figures correct at the time of going to print.


Age UK Nottingham &

Age UK Nottingham & Nottinghamshire is the largest ind from all communities and backgrounds in Advice


Business Directory: Our directory of local reliable traders and businesses is developed with older people in mind. The business directory consists of a large selection of reputable and trustworthy member companies ranging from plumbers to solicitors.

Patients’ Representative Service: We provide independent representation, advocacy and support to patients and their carers in some areas of the county.

Financial Information & Advice: We offer a comprehensive financial information and advice service tailored to assist individuals plan for and meet their care needs. Housing Options & Silverlinks Advice: An information and expert advice service for those who need help considering housing and care options and support to make the necessary changes. Information & Advice: We provide expert advice on welfare benefits entitlements, help with making claims, information on health and social care, as well as refer people to other agencies that can help. Legal Advice: We offer free professional advice via a local solicitor on all legal matters. Money Advice: We offer impartial and independent money advice on a variety of money matters including tax, pensions, savings and mortgages with our professional adviser. Will Writing Service: We provide a Will Writing Service at a reduced rate to those who do not have a complicated estate.


Residents’ Representative Service: We provide independent representation and advocacy support to those living in a care home and their relatives in some areas of the county.

“Until contacting the Connect Team... I felt completely overwhelmed by the tasks required to help care and support my mother... Without [the Support Worker’s] support I would not have accomplished so much, so quickly”

& Nottinghamshire’s Services

dependent local charity providing services to older people n the city and county. Our services include: Health & Wellbeing


Connect: Age UK Connect helps people find solutions to self-manage their independence, addressing issues such as housing, finances, social isolation, and physical and mental health and wellbeing.

Volunteering: We offer many opportunities to people who would like to use their talent and skills to improve the quality of life of older people. There are many ways to get involved; for example, visit an older person who is lonely and isolated at home; support less active older people at our day care centres; fundraise for us or help in our charity shops.

Forces Friends: We offer a trained volunteer visiting service providing support for isolated and lonely military veterans and their dependents. Lunch Club: Our friendly lunch club is a good opportunity to meet new people. We offer hot nutritious meals and a range of activities in Kirkby-in-Ashfield. Men in Sheds: We aim to bring older men together for them to put their practical skills to good use and encourage them to be more socially active. We have three well equipped sheds (workshops) and activities mainly focused on wood working. Shed members can share their knowledge, learn new skills and put the world to rights over a cup of tea. Specialist Day Care: We provide a tailored day service for people with a range of support needs including those with dementia. The service provides stimulating activities (in groups and on a one-to-one basis) based on the interests of the individual as well as specialist activities including reminiscence and cognitive stimulation sessions. The service provides a homecooked meal each day which takes into account the individuals dietary needs and preferences. In additional to the activities the centre provides a daily bathing service.

For more information on any of these services, or others we offer in the county, please contact us on:

0115 844 0011 or visit us at Age UK Nottingham & Nottinghamshire is a charitable company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales. Registered Charity Number: 1067881. Company Number: 3455485. Bradbury House, 12 Shakespeare Street, Nottingham NG1 4FQ. Age UK Notts has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does Age UK Notts endorse any of the products or services.


Alzheimer’s Society Services in Nottinghamshire If you think you may have a form of dementia, or are caring for a person who has dementia, there are many ways that the Alzheimer’s Society in Nottinghamshire can help. Support from Dementia Support Workers Dementia Support Workers can offer advice on accessing professional help. We are in contact with a wide range of services and other advice centres, so we can put you in touch with specialists who can help you if your concerns are outside of our expertise. We can also refer you, or the person you care for, to services which provide for people with dementia – particularly if you are having trouble accessing this yourself.

Home visits We can arrange for a Dementia Support Worker to visit you in your own home and provide information, advice and support.

Information We can provide a wide range of advice sheets, which include specific information on different types

of dementia, care issues and understanding the needs of the person with dementia.

Dementia Cafés Are places for people with dementia, their families and friends to meet other people in a similar situation for support, information and social interaction.

Singing for the Brain Is a service provided by Alzheimer’s Society which uses singing to bring people together in a friendly and stimulating social environment. Singing is not only an enjoyable activity – it can also provide a way for people with dementia, along with their carers, to express themselves and socialise with others in a fun and supportive group.

Carer Information and Support Programme (CrISP) A series of workshops for people caring for a family member or friend with dementia. Workshops are run throughout the year in the Nottinghamshire area. Booking is essential.

The Alzheimer’s Society have not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does the Alzheimer’s Society endorse any of the products or services.


Dementia Friends Programme Dementia Friends is a national initiative run by the Alzheimer’s Society. Funded by the government, it aims to improve people’s understanding of dementia and its effects. Through the Dementia Friends programme, we aim to change the way the nation thinks, talks and acts to create ‘dementia friendly’ communities.

How does it work? A group of volunteers will be trained to spread the word about what dementia is and what action individuals can take in their community, and recruit Dementia Friends.

What is a Dementia Friend? A Dementia Friend learns about what it is like to live with dementia and then turns that understanding into action.

What is a Dementia Friends Champion? Dementia Friends Champions are volunteers who, after attending a training course, run information sessions where they talk to people about being a Dementia Friend in their communities.

How can I get involved? It’s easy – just log on to and book on to a Dementia Friends Information session. Alternatively, contact your local Alzheimer’s Society office for more information.

What should I do now?

Taking on dementia together

For information, advice and support please contact one of our advisors on 01623 429419. Alternatively you can visit us at: Alzheimer’s Society, 36 Wood Street, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG18 1QA


The Care Quality Commission is here to make sure health and adult social care services including hospitals, home and residential care as well as GPs in England provide people with safe, effective, high-quality care. We publish independent inspection reports and ratings about services – information you can use when you’re choosing care for yourself, or a loved one. You can use our website to search for services you might be interested in by geographical area, or by specialism. For example, a care home that might offer specialist care for someone who has dementia. We also welcome your feedback on the care you have received – good or bad. We use this information to help inform our inspections and can alert authorities including local social services, if there are safeguarding concerns about care being provided. You can visit our website at to find our inspection reports, or share an experience of care. You can also call us to share an experience of care on 03000 61 61 61. Here are some tips to help you choose your care.

Social care Top tips 1






The Care Quality Commission (CQC) registers all care homes and home care agencies. You can find out which ones support specific groups of people, such as people with a learning disability or those living with dementia. CQC’s Chief Inspector for Adult Social Care, Andrea Sutcliffe always uses ‘The Mum Test’: is a care home safe, caring, effective, responsive to people’s needs and well-led? In other words, is it good enough for my Mum (or anyone else I love and care for)? Look for care homes and home care agencies where the staff involve people who use services and their families and carers, and treat individuals with compassion, kindness, dignity and respect.




Whether you are being cared for in your own home or in a residential setting, the staff looking after you need to be skilled, kind and supportive. They should also be capable and confident in dealing with your particular needs. You should always feel that their support is helping you to live the life you want to. A care home will be a home for you or your loved one. Residents should be treated as individuals with their likes and dislikes taken into account. Think about whether a home is close enough to family, friends, and community facilities. Look at how well-led and managed a home is. What does it have in place to ensure that it delivers high quality care? Does it promote meaningful activity and connect the home with the community?

If you or a loved one needs help with day-today care, you can contact your local council’s social services department. They will ‘make an assessment of your needs’ and depending on circumstances, may be able to help you access financial help. For more advice visit Age UK’s website /home-and-care.

If you would like to organise your care yourself, you can find a care worker or personal assistant through an agency. Your local social services department should be able to provide details of approved agencies.

CQC’s ratings will identify services as:

Outstanding Good ● Requires improvement ● Inadequate ● This will help you make informed choices around your care. There’s also useful advice on the Social Care Institute for Excellence’s Find me good care website


Safeguarding adults who receive social care is everybody’s business. If you are concerned about the safety of a loved one receiving care, contact the service provider in the first instance. You can also contact social services at your local council. If you feel a crime has been committed, contact the police. You can share your safeguarding concerns with us on our website or contact our National Customer Services on 03000 616161.

The Care Quality Commission has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does the Care Quality Commission endorse any of the products or services.


Useful contacts A


Action on Elder Abuse 080 880 88141 We work to protect, and prevent the abuse of, vulnerable older adults. Action on Elder Abuse, PO Box 60001, Streatham SW16 9BY I I

Mansfield Citizens Advice Bureau Advicehub, 16 Regent Street, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG18 1SS

Admiral Nurses 0800 888 6678 Admiral Nurses provide the specialist dementia support that families need. When things get challenging or difficult, our nurses work alongside the entire family, giving them one-to-one support, expert guidance and practical solutions. I I Age UK Nottingham & Nottinghamshire 0115 844 0011 Bradbury House 12 Shakespeare Street, Nottingham NG1 4FQ Northern office, 26-28 Regent Street, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG18 1SS I I Alzheimer’s Society 01623 429419 Mansfield & Ashfield District Office, 36 Wood Street, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG18 1QA I

C Care Quality Commission (CQC) 03000 616161 National Correspondence, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA I I Carers Trust 01623 658535 Areas covered: Mansfield, Ashfield, Bassetlaw, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire Intake Business Centre, Kirkland Avenue NG18 5QP I Cruse Bereavement Care 0808 808 1677 Cruse Bereavement Care is here to support you after the death of someone close. I I

D Disability Nottinghamshire 01623 625 891 Disability information and advice service. Unit 15, Botany Park, Botany Avenue, Mansfield, NG18 5NF I Disability Benefits – for Disability Living 0845 712 3456 Allowance and Attendance Allowance I Textphone: 0845 722 4433 I DG_10011169

E Elderly Accommodation Counsel 0800 377 7070 Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) is a national charity that aims to help older people make informed choices about meeting their housing and care needs. I I


0844 8563411

Mind (National Association 0300 123 3393 for Mental Health) The leading mental health charity in England and Wales. We work to create a better life for everyone with experience of mental distress. I I

N National Osteoporosis Society 0845 450 0230 Advice, information and support group for people with osteoporosis. I National Rheumatoid Arthritis 0800 298 7650 Society (NRAS) Provide information, support and advice for people living with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I I NHS 111


Nottinghamshire County Council 0300 500 80 80 Providing Adult Social Care and Health services for people with social care needs. I

P Parkinson's Disease Society I

0800 800 0303

R Royal Voluntary Service 0845 608 0122 A volunteer organisation that enriches the lives of older people and their families across Britain. We support older people by giving time and practical help to help them get the best from life. Royal Voluntary Service, Cardiff Gate,Beck Court, Cardiff Gate Business Park, Cardiff CF23 8RP I

S Sherwood & Newark Citizens Advice Bureau 5 Forest Court, New Ollerton, Newark, Nottinghamshire NG22 9PL

0844 856 3411

Stroke Association 0845 3033 100 Advice and information for stroke patients and their families. I


Integrated Care Council 01379 678243 The Integrated Care Council (ICC) is a body that brings together British health and social care, public and independent sector organisations that commission or directly provide support for people living at home. I

The Department of Work and Pensions I The Pension Service 0845 606 0265 I

Options Ashfield, Mansfield & Newark is published by Octagon Design and Marketing Ltd with editorial contributions from Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, the CQC, Age UK, Alzheimer’s Society and NHS Choices. The editorial contributors have not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor do the editorial contributors endorse any of the products or services.

Every possible care has been taken to ensure that the information given in this publication is correct at the time of going to print. Whilst the publisher would be grateful to learn of any errors, it cannot accept any liability over and above the cost of the advertisement for loss there by caused. No reproduction by any method whatsoever of any part of this publication is permitted without prior written consent of the copyright owners. Octagon Design & Marketing Ltd. ©2018. Hawks Nest Cottage, Great North Road, Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN10 6AB. Telephone: 01302 714528


NHS Hospitals and services in Mansfield and Newark Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Mansfield Community Hospital, Stockwell Gate, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG18 5QJ Tel: 01623 785050

36 Wood Street, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG18 1QA Tel: 01623 429419

Civic Centre, Chesterfield Road South, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG19 7BH Tel: 01623 463463

Kelham Hall, Newark, Nottinghamshire NG23 5QX Tel: 01636 650000

Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

King’s Mill Hospital, Mansfield Road, Sutton in Ashfield NG17 4JL Tel: 01623 622515

Nottingham & Nottinghamshire


Northern office, 26-28 Regent Street, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG18 1SS Tel: 0115 844 0011

Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Newark Hospital, Boundary Road, Newark, Nottinghamshire NG24 4DE Tel: 01636 681681

Meadow House Lawn View House

Station Road, Sutton in Ashfield, Notts NG17 5GA Tel: 0300 500 80 80

Littleworth, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG18 2TB Tel: 0300 500 80 80

Sir John Robinson Way

Arnold, Nottingham NG5 6DB Tel: 0300 500 80 80

County Hall

West Bridgford, Nottingham NG2 7QP Tel: 0300 500 80 80

The locations on the map indicate where services operate out of.



Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Duncan MacMillan House Porchester Road, Nottingham NG3 6AA Tel: 0115 969 1300

Trent Bridge House Fox Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham NG2 6BJ Tel: 0300 500 80 80

ALEXANDRA HOUSE Eastwood, Notts NG16 3GP

BELLEVUE LODGE Mapperley, Notts NG3 5FS

Eastgate Care As recommended on


PARK HOUSE Bulwell, Notts NG6 8SB

We offer; Dementia, Nursing, Convalescence, Respite, Personal/Residential Care Services, all with modern facilities.

Providing care for over 27 years, our priorities are quality care and comfort for all residents

Canal Vue (Residential Home with Dementia Care) at Awsworth Road, Ilkeston, Derbys DE7 8JF

Call to arrange a visit, all homes

Tel: 0115 979 1234


Full details at: 27

Racecourse Road, Southwell, Nottingham NG25 0TX

Tel 01636 815599



We offer care, support and exceptional accommodation for people with residential or dementia needs. Our aim is for you to live life to the full through dignity, teamwork & passion. Please enquire for day care, respite or permanent accommodation to The Manager Margaret Hemstock


To advertise in this publication please call the sales team on 01302 714528 Hawks Nest Cottage, Great North Road, Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN10 6AB 01302 714528 | |

Quality Care within a “Home from Home” Environment

The Troc Residential Care Home 32 Beds offering Dementia Care

As we begin to inevitably age, we may find we need a little extra help. No one likes to think about putting a family member into care, but for some of us it’s just not possible to provide the right care at home. With an unsurpassed reputation within the local community, The Troc Care Home is situated on the outskirts of the historic market town of Newark, with easy access to the A1. Registered for 32 residents, The Troc offers a warm, family-friendly environment, ensuring each resident has companionship and stimulation in a homely and relaxed atmosphere, without loss of dignity or independence. Every bedroom is fitted with a residents call system. Residents are encouraged to ‘personalise’ their room and are able to bring small items of favourite furniture with them to The Troc. As well as the dining room, residents have the choice of three sitting rooms, the largest of which opens onto the south-facing patio and garden. Weekly sessions of movement to music help keep residents active and mobile and from time to time, visiting groups provide entertainment.

For further information, please visit

Alternatively, to enquire about vacancies, please call 01636 671342

The Services We Offer We pride ourselves taking a person centred approach to the care we provide. This means that each resident is respected as an individual and treated with dignity and all our residents have a named key worker and their own Personal Care Plan. We work hard to encourage our carers and families to be creative in developing ideas to enhance the lives of our residents. Strawberry Fields carers enjoy spending time with and learning each resident’s life history, the more we know about a resident the more we can understand an individual’s behaviour. This in turn helps us to work more closely with a resident, helping them to overcome their frustrations at sometimes not being able to express themselves as they would wish. People with dementia need more care and more patience and more understanding, we know this and our carers pride themselves on being experts in this type of care. Fees The fees charged are dependent on the type of care package and needs of the individual Service User. Depending on the personal financial situation, a Service User can either pay the fees privately or receive benefits arranged by Social Services and/or the Primary Care Trust. Contact Person: Cara Salmon Contact Details: Tel. 01636 700770 • Fax. 01636 610319 Email. Strawberry Fields, Strawberry Hall Lane, Newark, Notts NG24 2EP

Loxley Lodge CARE HOM E

Welcome to Loxley Lodge Care Home We Hope that your admission to Loxley Lodge feels warm and welcoming and that you feel as special to us as you do to your Family. Your rights to privacy, dignity and freedom of choice will be respected at all times by all staff. All that remains is to wish you a happy and comfortable stay at Loxley Lodge. Our Philosophy of Care The Staff will work as a family with hands on team spirit ethos. We actively promote a happy working and living environment which is both professional, courteous and fun. Maintaining your individuality is at the centre of everything we do. We want you to enjoy life at Loxley Lodge as much as we enjoy working here. We welcome any prospective service users to spend a day with us and experience our facilities. Please call the Manager – Heather King for further information.

Loxley Lodge Care Home, School Street, Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17 7BT Tel: 01623 757475




Designed & Compiled by Octagon Design and Marketing Ltd., Hawks Nest Cottage, Great North Road, Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN10 6AB. Tel: 01302 714528

Options Ashfield, Mansfield & Newark - A guide to care and independent living - Summer 2018  
Options Ashfield, Mansfield & Newark - A guide to care and independent living - Summer 2018