Page 1

s n o i t p O

5th Edition

A guide to care and independent living

How am I referred to the social work team?

The assessment process

Home Enablement Services

24 hour care homes



Rotherham Raising local funds to help local people

from Hospital



Contents Our hospital team....................................................................................................4 How am I referred to the social work team?..............................................4 The assessment process.......................................................................................4 Getting the most out of your assessment...................................................5 More about the assessment...............................................................................6 Assessments and carers........................................................................................6 How do we decide what help we can give you?........................................6 Assistive Technology – What is it ?..................................................................8 Intermediate care................................................................................................9 Home Enablement Services..........................................................9 24 hour Care homes...........................................................................................9 What happens next?........................................................................................... 10 Discharge from Hospital.................................................................................... 10

Welcome and

Introduction For most patients, being discharged from hospital to their home is straightforward. Most are unlikely to need the support of Social Services, though some may need some information or advice about social care. However some people have new or ongoing health and social care needs which require a detailed assessment. Staff from Health and Social Services will usually work together to plan and deliver services to support such people after discharge. This guide explains some of these processes, and explains the role of Adult Social Services in the hospital discharge process.

Problems or queries.............................................................................................. 10 Helping you to connect to the support you need................................. 11 Other sources of help for when you have left hospital....................... 12 Rehabilitation into the community.............................................................. 13 How to use your health services.................................................................... 14 Reviews....................................................................................................................... 16 NHS-funded nursing care.................................................................................. 17 Paying for care and support............................................................................. 18 Employing a professional carer or personal assistant......................... 20 The Motability Scheme...................................................................................... 21 The Care Quality Commission................................................................. 22-23 Age UK Rotherham Services..................................................................... 24-25 Alzheimer’s Society Services in Rotherham...................................... 26-27 Useful contacts.............................................................................................28 - 29 NHS Hospitals and services in Rotherham................................................ 30


Our hospital team Adult Social Services in Rotherham have a social work team based in Rotherham General Hospital.

How am I referred to the social work team? Planning for discharge normally begins at the point, or even before, you are admitted to hospital. The discharge process will be coordinated by a member of the nursing team on the ward. Following an initial assessment by nursing and medical staff, you will be referred, with your consent, to the hospital social work team if you appear to have social care needs that require assessment prior to your discharge.

This is done by the ward sending a request for assessment notification (care act 2014) previously this was called a section 2. You can also give your consent to your carer who can ask for you to be referred to the social work team. If you have any queries or want any general advice you can contact the Adult Services Health and Social Care Information Facilitator on 01709 424650

The assessment process A member of the social work team allocated to your particular ward will contact you. The assessment is not a test, but a way of working out what your needs are and which ones might be putting you at risk. The assessment process will start with discussions with the ward staff, with you and your family/ carers. This process of information gathering and clarification of the situation will enable the social worker/social services officer to work alongside you to: • identify your needs • establish your eligibility • give you information about services that could immediately support you to be discharged from hospital or support you in the longer term.


Depending on how complex your care needs are, other specialist assessments may also be required. The referral process and time scales for assessments are outlined in the (care act 2014). The length of time required to complete the process can vary depending on how complex your needs are. In Neighbourhood and Adult Services, we aim to do what we can to help people to live independently and safely. We work within resources available to us, and therefore ensure that we prioritise the people who are in greatest need of help. This guide tells you more about assessments and eligibility criteria. It also tells you about what will happen after you have an assessment. This may be relevant to you if you are an older person (65+), have a physical or sensory disability, have mental health problems, or have a learning disability.

Getting the most out of your assessment You might want to prepare for your assessment by jotting down anything you want to talk through with us. What is difficult for you? What kind of support are you having at the moment? Are some days much easier than others? If so, why do you think this is? We know that there are some things which

can be difficult or stressful to talk about, but please don't be embarrassed. We will understand your feelings and respect them. we can provide access to an advocate to assist you making any difficult decisions. If your first language is not English, or if you use sign language, we can arrange for an interpreter. Please let us know what you need.

Alexandra & Laureate Court Care Homes Quality care from a dedicated team of experts Our team are experts in providing quality care, tailored to the individual. We care about every detail of our residents’ lives, their health, diet, exercise and mental stimulation.

We look forward to welcoming you to our homes! 5

More about the assessment Once the ward has asked for an assessment, one of our staff will come and visit you on the ward. You can have a friend or relative with you at the assessment, if you wish.

3) Your daily routines, such as personal care and domestic chores, and how well you are able to manage them

The assessment is free and will involve discussions about;

4) How well you are able to involve yourself in family responsibilities, community life, and work or study.

• What difficulties you are having at the moment; • What type of help you feel is needed; • How stressful and urgent you feel your situation is. • What you are able to do for yourself • What you would like to achieve.

We look at four main areas of life: 1) How much control you have over your own life, and how easy or difficult you find it to make decisions about the way you live 2) Your health and safety, including any risks to your mental health or wellbeing

We may want to get information from other people, such as the Ward, Doctor, Therapists and family etc. We might share some of the information you give us with other people, but only when it is necessary to help to plan your care, on a 'need to know' basis with your consent. On the assessment form we write down everything we discussed and agreed with you during the assessment, and also anything we might have disagreed about. You will get a copy of the completed assessment form to keep. Following the assessment, we will give you information about support that may be available, and any charges involved.

How do we decide what help we can give you? National Eligibility Criteria Social care is not free for everyone. We have to balance the needs of adults in Rotherham with the limited amount of money we have. We do this by giving help and support to the people who are most at risk. We use guidance to decide who needs the most help, and what help and support we can give. The guidelines are called ‘Eligibility Criteria’, which were made by the Government. In the ‘Eligibility Criteria’ guidelines the areas of risk are:(a) managing and maintaining nutrition;

(b) maintaining personal hygiene; (c) managing toilet needs; (d) being appropriately clothed; (e) being able to make use of the adult’s home safely; (f) maintaining a habitable home environment; (g) developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships; (h) accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering; (i) making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport, and recreational facilities or services; and (j) carrying out any caring responsibilities the adult has for a child.

Assessments and carers

If you have a carer - a relative or friend who provides you with unpaid support - we may want to talk to them about what support they are able and willing to give. The care Act means carers may also be entitled to support with their caring role. If you have an identified carer, this would also be an appropriate time for them to receive a carer's assessment from Adult Services. Please ask us for more information on this.


Assistive Technology – What is it ? Assistive technology is equipment or sensors which are specifically designed to help reduce the risks associated with independent living for vulnerable people. Some of these sensors are placed around the home and can detect environmental issues e.g. fires, floods others are used to detect a fall or when someone has left the property at an in-appropriate time of the day e.g. during the night. Some of the equipment works with the Rothercare community alarm system. Rothercare is the Council's community alarm service which provides an emergency call handling service and mobile response service 24 hours a day 365 days per year.

Environmental package These four sensors generate an alert to Rothercare when the following are detected: • heat detector • Smoke

used to alert a person with a hearing impairment of a telecare alert e.g. smoke alarm.

We can offer some items without the need for a social care assessment. Magi plug – this is a simple devise to prevent bath/sink from overflowing.

Keysafe – this can be provided for an individual who has formal or informal carers needing to access the property.

Automated medication dispenser Once the medication dispenser is programmed it will automatically dispense medication at the correct time of day, it provides an audible and visual alert to encourage the user to take their medication.

Orientation clock

• Carbon Monoxide • High temperature or low temperatures • Water (floods) • gas detector

The orientation clock assists the user to orientate the day of the week and whether it is day or night.

Falls Package

Big Picture telephone

This package consists of a fall detector which is worn on the waist, this generates an alert when the person falls anywhere in the home or garden during the daytime.

This telephone has

A bed sensor can be provided, which is used during the night time. If the person gets out of bed during the night and does not return within a predetermined time it generates an alert which may indicate the person has had a fall.

Purposeful walking package A voice announcer plays a message to try to deter the person from leaving the property at inappropriate times of the day e.g. during the night time. If the person does exit the property an alert is generated to either Rothercare or a carer’s pager. This does require a family/carer responder. It is very useful for people with Dementia.

Carers package This package consists of a portable pager and possibly a vibrating pillow alerter, it informs an on site carer when a telecare alert is generated e.g. fall detector. Can also be


compartments where users can insert photographs of key people e.g. family members; once the telephone is programmed, the user would then press the picture of the person they wish to contact.

How can I get this equipment? If you have a social work assessment as part of your discharge the allocated social worker or social services officer will be happy to discuss and consider any appropriate assistive technology as part of the assessment. Once you have left the hospital please contact Assessment direct on Tel: 822330 or e-mail assessment. who are able to discuss and action your request.

Intermediate care Intermediate Care is the name for support to help you build back your skills and enable you to live at home as independently as possible. In some cases hospital staff may recommend a period of rehabilitation in order to maximise

your independence. A member of the Therapy Team would assess you for this. An intermediate care service may be provided by community health and social care services to support you during this period.

Home Enablement Services You may be assessed as benefitting from Home Enablement Services for your return home. The Home Enablement Service provides re-enablement for adults aged 18 years and over within their own homes. The service is for people who require support at home so that they are able to achieve optimum levels of independence and therefore remain safely at home. It will help you regain your confidence and your ability to do things for yourself after your spell of illness or your recent accident. The service is available for people for up to six

weeks and can be extended to up to 8 weeks in exceptional circumstances. The service is free of charge for a period of up to six weeks. The Home Enablement Service is designed to encourage and support you over the weeks to enable you to gradually carry out your personal care needs and tasks around the home on your own without any or little help. If you require continued support after this period you will be assessed under Fair Access to Care Services criteria and a financial assessment would be undertaken as there may be a charge for any ongoing services.

24 hour Care homes If it is felt that you can no longer manage at home even with support, the decision may be for you to move to a care home. You and your family will be involved in this decision. The assessment will identify your care needs. This will help you and your family to select a registered care home which will be able to meet your needs. There are 3 categories of care homes. • Residential care – provides accommodation meals care and support throughout the day and night. •N  ursing care – offers the same as residential care with the addition of 24 hour care by a qualified nurse.

• Dementia care or EMI (Elderly Mentally Ill) care – which provide specialist extra care for people often due to dementia or other mental health diagnosis. You and your family have the right to choose the care home you will move to. During the care planning process you should be supported to identify a suitable care home which is registered to meet your needs and has a vacancy. Your social worker/social services officer can help you with this process. However if the home of your choice has no vacancy, you may have to accept a place in an alternative care home until a place in your home of choice is available.


What happens next?

Problems or queries

Once you are declared medically fit for discharge by the medical team and all the appropriate assessments have been completed, Adult Services will be formally notified by the ward by sending a notification for discharge (previously known as a section 5).

If you have queries or are experiencing difficulties relating to your discharge you can either contact your social worker/social services officer or speak to the nurse caring for you on the ward.

Discharge from Hospital Once all assessments are completed the social work staff will discuss with you what help may be available and decide with you how your care needs can best be met. Your discharge should take place in a timely fashion. We will endeavour to give you a copy of your community care assessment and support plan before leaving hospital. If this is not possible we will give you a discharge letter giving you an overview of your planned care and your community care assessment will follow in the post.

If a social worker has not been allocated to you, you can contact the hospital social work team to speak to a Health and Social Care Information Facilitator who will assist to resolve any problems or issues which are the responsibility of Social Services. They can also give further information and contact details you may find helpful. Tel 01709 304650 The hospital social work team have a member of staff whose role involves supporting the black minority ethnic communities with their social care needs during the hospital discharge process. Contact number 01709 424650

Direct payments Every local council must now offer people who need help to stay in their own home, money instead of arranging services for them. This is called direct payments. These direct payments enable you to choose how you organise the help you need . Giving you money instead of services will give you greater control over your life, because you make the decisions about how your care is provided. The vast majority of people getting care from the council have a right to receive a direct payment.. The assessing officer who undertakes your assessment will discuss direct payments with you when they assess your care needs.

Helping you to connect to the support you need People needing help and support in Rotherham are now just a click away from finding out what services are available. Connect to Support is a website where the general public, service users, carers and social work staff can view and purchase goods, products and care/support services from providers; seek information, guidance or advice and be signposted to appropriate services including community groups. The website is in addition to the usual guidance and access to services that people have through other work such as assessments and care planning. Care and service providers have the chance to have their services on the website and

accreditation of providers will be included through ratings such as CQC inspection ratings, specialist businesses sector quality marks for organisations and customer feedback. Local groups providing services that are free of charge, can also use the site to promote themselves. As with the information currently supplied to people, the Council cannot recommend specific providers but does offer information and guidance on the services available. For more information visit] Also access Gismo website regarding


Other sources of help for when you have left hospital Assessment Direct 01709 822330 – search for Help at home If you think that you may need help help once you have been discharged from hospital you can ask for advice or a care assessment by contacting Assessment Direct. To make things easier for you we have set up a first point of contact for all our services called Assessment Direct. You can speak to an Officer who will listen to your enquiry, advise and assist you, and make sure you receive an assessment if required. We can help you with: • Social care assessments •Advice and information of community services available • Carer's assessments • Safeguarding vulnerable adults • Disabled person parking permits (Blue Badge) • Adaptations within your home • Community alarm scheme - Rothercare • Occupational therapy assessments • Any other aspect of your social care • Assistive technology

Age UK – Rotherham 01709 835214 or 01709 786958 Age UK are an independent charity whose objectives are to make the lives of older people in Rotherham as fulfilling and rewarding as possible. Age UK can help you with a variety of day opportunities that are fun and offer companionship when used as part of a care plan can help older people remain healthy and well. Access to community information about housing, benefits, products and services (home insurance, motor insurance etc)

Carers Centre – 01709 254809 Caring for someone is not always easy which is why the Council and its partners have all come together at 'Carers Corner' to provide you with all the support you need under one roof.


At Carers Corner you can get face to face advice - such as how to access benefits or legal advice, along with how to access the Carers Emergency Scheme and Carers Assessments. Advice and guidance is also available through the Ask My Community Website.

Community Occupational Therapist Service – 01709 822330 The Community Occupational Therapy Team helps anyone who is elderly or disabled and is having problems with activities of daily living. You can refer yourself for help, or someone else can contact us on your behalf. All contacts to the Community Occupational Therapy Service are taken by Rothercare Direct. They may be able to respond to your problem at the point of contact or they may pass your request to another agency, such as the Home Improvement Agency. If they are unable to do this, your request will be passed to the Community Occupational Therapy Team.

Physiotherapist Service – Badsley Moor Lane – 01709 422323 We offer a range of treatments including manual therapy, electrotherapy, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, education and self-help programmes, active rehabilitation and chronic pain management.

Rehabilitation into the community Rotherham Intermediate Care Centre (RICC) – 01709 514003 The Rotherham Intermediate Care Centre, located on Badsley Moor Lane, is a joint partnership between Rotherham Council and Rotherham Foundation Trust. The centre is set to provide new rehabilitation facilities within a day setting for the people of Rotherham.

You can also view this booklet on the RMBC internet site where updates may be added.

The new centre will work as an intermediate care hub, bringing together therapists, specialist mental health workers and support workers who are providing services to promote and maximise independence following a patient's recent episode in hospital, change in functional abilities or a worsening of their long-term condition. The new service will provide activities which are tailor-made to a patient's own interests and abilities.

Telephone: 01709 300099 Mobile: 0797 3344035 Web: Email:


How to use your health services There are a range of healthcare services available to help you find the right expert care to meet your needs. Picking the service most appropriate to your symptoms means you get the right treatment in the right place. Self-care

Your GP

Self-care is the best choice to treat minor illnesses, ailments and injuries. A range of common illnesses and complaints, such as aches and pains, coughs, colds, upset stomachs and sore throats can be treated with overthe-counter medicines and plenty of rest. Remember, whether treated or not, most of these will get better. Some self-care essentials - The following are available to buy over-the-counter: • paracetamol, aspirin and ibuprofen • rehydration mixtures • indigestion remedies • plasters • thermometer Remember, always follow the instructions on the pack.

GPs provide a range of services including medical advice, examinations, prescriptions and ongoing care for more longstanding or chronic conditions. They can also provide:

Your local pharmacy Your local pharmacist can provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common illnesses and complaints, without you having to wait for a GP appointment or go to your Emergency Department. Your pharmacist may be able to help you with: • eye infections, stomach upsets, skin conditions, allergies, aches and pains • common drugs, vitamins and minor first-aid • healthy eating and living, including giving up smoking • blood pressure and diabetes monitoring and needle exchange, truss fittings, stoma products and incontinence supplies • women's health, including treatment for thrush, emergency contraception and pregnancy testing • children's problems, including nappy rash, teething, coughs and colds • all  prescribed and over the counter medicines Check with your local pharmacy for more details. Remember, collect repeat prescriptions from your daytime GP surgery before the weekend or a public holiday. GP out of hours will only provide repeat prescriptions in exceptional circumstances.


© Crown Copyright Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.

• diagnosis of symptoms • health education • vaccinations • simple surgical procedures

Out of hours GP out of hours is available if you require urgent medical care when your GP surgery is closed. GP out of hours services operate from 6.00 pm each weekday evening until your GP surgery opens the next morning and 24 hours on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. Remember to telephone the service first. The doctor or nurse will give you advice over the telephone, decide if you need to be seen by a doctor or will refer you to another service if required.

Minor injuries A Minor Injuries Unit can treat injuries that are not critical or life threatening, such as: • injuries to upper and lower limbs • broken bones, sprains, bruises and wounds • bites – human, animal and insect • burns and scalds • abscesses and wound infections • minor head injuries • broken noses and nosebleeds • foreign bodies in the eyes and nose

Emergency Department Emergency departments provide the highest level of emergency care for patients, especially those with sudden and acute illness or severe trauma, such as: • suspected heart attack • suspected stroke • serious head injury • serious accident 999 You should always call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Choose well.

(Registered 48)

A warm welcome awaits you at Sheffcare We have 11 residential homes across Sheffield providing:

• Warm & friendly welcome • En-suite rooms available • Comprehensive social and activity programme We aim to provide a home from home environment that gives peace of mind, security, support and stimulation.

Tel: 01709 367337 Whiston Hall, Chaff Lane, Whiston, Rotherham

• Long term residential care • Short term, respite or overnight care • Day care • Dementia care We are a charitable, not for profit organisation that has over 20 years’ experience in providing Residential Care, Dementia Care and Respite services.

Tel: 0800 5421256

Who is eligible for NHS continuing healthcare? Anyone over 18 years of age assessed as having a certain level of care needs may be entitled to NHS continuing healthcare. It is not dependent on a particular disease, diagnosis or condition, nor on who provides the care or where that care is provided. If your overall assessment of care needs shows that you have a ‘primary health need’, you should be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare. Once eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, your care will be funded by the NHS, this is however, subject to regular reviews, and, should your care needs change, the funding arrangements may also change. Whether someone has a ‘primary health need’ is assessed by looking at all of their care needs and relating them to four key indicators: • nature – this describes the characteristics and type of the individual’s needs and the overall effect these needs have on the individual,

including the type of interventions required to manage those needs • complexity – this is about how the individual’s needs present and interact and the level of skill required to monitor the symptoms, treat the condition and/or manage the care • intensity – this is the extent and severity of the individual’s needs and the support needed to meet them, which includes the need for sustained/ ongoing care • unpredictability – this is about how hard it is to predict changes in an individual’s needs that might create challenges in managing them, including the risks to the individual’s health if adequate and timely care is not provided. © Crown Copyright Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.


Reviews of continuing health care You will have a review of your needs after three months and then at least every year. Neither the NHS nor the local authority should withdraw from an existing care or funding arrangement without a joint review and reassessment of your needs, and without first consulting with one another and with you about any proposed changes and ensuring that alternative funding or services are in place.

What if I am not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare? If you are not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, the CCG can refer you to your local authority who can discuss with you whether you may be eligible for support from them. If you are not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare but still have some health needs then the NHS may still pay for part of the package of support. This is sometimes known as a “joint package” of care. One way in which this is provided is through NHS-funded nursing care (see below). It can also be by the NHS providing other funding or services towards meeting your needs. Where the local authority is also part funding your care package then, depending upon your income and savings, you may have to pay a contribution towards the costs of their part of the care. There is no charge for the NHS part of a joint package of care. There are more details about NHS-funded nursing care overleaf. Whether or not you are eligible for NHS continuing healthcare, you are still able to make use of all of


the other services from the NHS in your area in the same way as any other NHS patient.

Who do I contact if I am not happy with the outcome? If you disagree with a decision not to proceed to full assessment of eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare following completion of a Checklist you can ask the CCG to reconsider the decision. If you disagree with the eligibility decision made by the CCG (after a full assessment and the Decision Support Tool has been completed) or if you have concerns about the process used to reach the decision, you can ask the CCG for an independent review of your case. The CCG local resolution procedures should be used first unless such procedures would cause unreasonable delay. To request an independent review, please write to your CCG which will contact the National Commissioning Board (the Board) and ask them to arrange a review, unless the matter can be resolved locally. Any individual has a right to complain about any aspect of the service they receive from the NHS, the local authority or any provider of care. The details of the complaints procedure are available from the relevant organisation, including details of your local Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS). © Crown Copyright Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.

NHS-funded nursing care What is NHS-funded nursing care? By law, local authorities cannot provide registered nursing care. For individuals in care homes with nursing, registered nurses are usually employed by the care home itself and, in order to fund this nursing care, the NHS makes a payment direct to the care home. This is called ‘NHS-funded nursing care’ and is a standard rate contribution towards the cost of providing registered nursing care for those individuals who are eligible. Registered nursing care can involve many different aspects of care. It can include direct nursing tasks as well as the planning, supervision and monitoring of nursing and healthcare tasks to meet your needs.

In all cases individuals should be considered for eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare before a decision is reached about the need for NHS-funded nursing care. Consequently most individuals will not need to have a separate assessment for NHSfunded nursing care if they have already had a full multidisciplinary assessment for NHS continuing healthcare as this process will give sufficient information to judge the need for NHS-funded nursing care. However, if an assessment is needed, your CCG will arrange this. If you are not happy with the decision regarding NHS-funded nursing care, you can ask the CCG for the decision to be reviewed and/or use the CCG complaints process.

Are there different levels of payment for NHS-funded nursing care? NHS-funded nursing care is paid at the same rate across England. However, until 30 September 2007 there were three different banded payment rates for nursing care. Any individual that was on the high band of NHS– funded nursing care under the previous three band system are entitled to continue on this band until; • they no longer have nursing needs, or • they no longer live in a care home that provides nursing or • their nursing needs have reduced so that they do not qualify for the high band anymore (they would move onto the single band rate instead) or • they are entitled to NHS continuing healthcare instead.

Who is eligible for NHS-funded nursing care? You should receive NHS-funded nursing care if: • you are resident within a care home that is registered to provide nursing care; and • you do not qualify for NHS continuing healthcare but have been assessed as requiring the services of a registered nurse

If you are eligible for NHS-funded nursing care the NHS will arrange for the payment to be made directly to your care home and this payment should be reflected in the care home fee actually charged to you. © Crown Copyright Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.


Paying for care and support What the Council will pay towards care home costs Following your assessment if a decsion is made for you to move into residential care you will always have to contribute something towards the cost of your care. Each year, the Council sets a maximum figure that we will pay towards your weekly care home costs. The amounts vary depending on the type of care you receive. The current maximum weekly Council contribution is:

Private care home £401 for residential care £451 for nursing care £419 for residential dementia care £518 for nursing dementia care

Rotherham Council care home £550 for residential care The amount you pay is worked out using a national set of rules. The Council will pay the difference between your contribution and the fee for your place in the home, so long as the home doesn't charge more than we expect to pay. The value of your former home will be included as part of the financial assessment, however it should be


disregarded if your spouse or partner lives there, or another relative lives there who is either over 60 years of age or receiving a disability benefit. Your home is also ignored if you enter a care home for a temporary stay. If your property is taken into account, you will usually have more than the limit for getting local authority assistance. The local authority may assist you under the ‘deferred payments’ scheme agreement. You will always be left with a weekly amount for your own use called a Personal Allowance. This amounts to £24.90 per week. If you need nursing care the NHS will pay a contribution towards your nursing care, which is called Funded Nursing Care or Continuing Healthcare. The NHS will pay this money directly to the care home to cover the costs of providing nursing cover on a 24 hour, 7 days a week basis. If you choose a care home that is more expensive than what the Council will pay, you will need to make arrangements for someone else to pay the difference. This is often called a third party contribution or a top up fee. All figures correct at the time of going to print. ©Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council copyright


Finding a carer through a home care agency All home care agencies are regulated and inspected regularly by the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA). This guarantees certain minimum standards of service. Home care agencies must also conduct police checks on all employees who will be working with people with disabilities.

Finding a carer yourself Advertising the job You can place job advertisements in your local Jobs and Benefits office for free. Local shops, supermarkets and voluntary organisations may also have noticeboards where you can place job advertisements. Job advertisements should be brief and state: • the type of work involved • working hours • rate of pay • your contact details • the general area in which you live For safety reasons, it's best to give your mobile phone number or a box number in your advertisement, rather than your address or home phone number.

Job interviews Once you have received any job application(s), select the people you'd like to interview for the job. You can ask a friend or relative to attend the interviews, especially if they are taking place in your own home. Before the interviews, you should prepare a list of questions that cover the key aspects of the job.

References and police checks When you've decided who to offer the job to, you are responsible for checking that they are suitable.


You should always ask for - and check out - at least two references, including one from someone they've cared for previously. Individual employers do not have to request a police check on any potential employee but you may still want to do this. You will need to ask your local trust or a local voluntary organisation to make the request for information to the Disclosure and Barring Service on your behalf.

Your responsibilities if you employ a carer directly When you employ a carer directly, you have certain responsibilities as an employer, including dealing with tax and insurance. Meeting these is not difficult, and you can get help from social services with paperwork if you need it. © Crown Copyright Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.

The Motability Scheme Buying and adapting a car can be expensive. The Motability Scheme, run by the independent not-for-profit organisation, Motability, gives people with disabilities the opportunity to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair at an affordable price.

At the end of the period, the car is returned to Motability Operations who operate the car schemes under contract to Motability.

Powered wheelchairs or scooters

The Motability Scheme can help you with leasing a car if you're getting the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement or the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

With a Motability scooter or powered wheelchair, you can get a new scooter or powered wheelchair of your choice every three years. Insurance, loss and damage protection, breakdown assistance, servicing, maintenance, repairs and replacement tyres and batteries are included in the cost of the lease.

You can apply if you have 12 months or more of your Disability Living Allowance 'award' remaining. If your award is not renewed during the full length of your chosen scheme, your car, powered wheelchair or scooter will need to be returned.

You can choose to pay your total weekly allowance or part of your weekly allowance to lease a vehicle. This will depend on the model you choose. You will also need to make a non-refundable payment at the beginning of your lease.

Even if you do not drive yourself, you can apply for a car as a passenger and propose two other people as your drivers.

Contact Motability


You can also apply for a car on behalf of a child aged three or over who is entitled to the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance.

Cars and Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) You can lease a new car supplied by a Motabilityaccredited dealer for at least three years. Insurance, routine servicing and breakdown assistance are included. A wide range of adaptations are also available. You may need to pay for the fitting and removal of any adaptations.

To find out more about the Motability Scheme, phone Motability on 0300 456 4566, minicom: 0300 037 0100 (Lines are open 8am - 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am - 1pm Saturday) or Š Crown Copyright Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.

You can choose to pay your total weekly allowance or part of your weekly allowance to lease a vehicle. This will depend on the model you choose. For more expensive vehicles, you will need to top-up your allowance by paying an Advance Payment (AP). Up to two named drivers are included as part of the lease, allowing non-drivers to join the Scheme and parents and carers can join on behalf of a child aged three and above. The vehicle must be used for the benefit of the disabled person.


The Care Quality Commission is here to make sure health and adult social care services including hospitals, home and residential care as well as GPs in England provide people with safe, effective, high-quality care. We publish independent inspection reports and ratings about services – information you can use when you’re choosing care for yourself, or a loved one. You can use our website to search for services you might be interested in by geographical area, or by specialism. For example, a care home that might offer specialist care for someone who has dementia. We also welcome your feedback on the care you have received – good or bad. We use this information to help inform our inspections and can alert authorities including local social services, if there are safeguarding concerns about care being provided. You can visit our website at to find our inspection reports, or share an experience of care. You can also call us to share an experience of care on 03000 61 61 61. Here are some tips to help you choose your care.

Social care Top tips 1



The Care Quality Commission (CQC) registers all care homes and home care agencies. You can find out which ones support specific groups of people, such as people with a learning disability or those living with dementia. CQC’s Chief Inspector for Adult Social Care, Andrea Sutcliffe always uses ‘The Mum Test’: is a care home safe, caring, effective, responsive to people’s needs and well-led? In other words, is it good enough for my Mum (or anyone else I love and care for)?


If you or a loved one needs help with day-today care, you can contact your local council’s social services department. They will ‘make an assessment of your needs’ and depending on circumstances, may be able to help you access financial help. For more advice visit Age UK’s website /home-and-care.

If you would like to organise your care yourself, you can find a care worker or personal assistant through an agency. Your local social services department should be able to provide details of approved agencies.

the staff involve people who use services and with compassion, kindness, dignity and respect.



Look for care homes and home care agencies where their families and carers, and treat individuals




Whether you are being cared for in your own home or in a residential setting, the staff looking after you need to be skilled, kind and supportive. They should also be capable and confident in dealing with your particular needs. You should always feel that their support is helping you to live the life you want to. A care home will be a home for you or your loved one. Residents should be treated as individuals with their likes and dislikes taken into account. Think about whether a home is close enough to family, friends, and community facilities. Look at how well-led and managed a home is. What does it have in place to ensure that it delivers high quality care? Does it promote meaningful activity and connect the home with the community?

CQC’s ratings will identify services as:

Outstanding Good ● Requires improvement ● Inadequate ● This will help you make informed choices around your care. There’s also useful advice on the Social Care Institute for Excellence’s Find me good care website


Safeguarding adults who receive social care is everybody’s business. If you are concerned about the safety of a loved one receiving care, contact the service provider in the first instance. You can also contact social services at your local council. If you feel a crime has been committed, contact the police. You can share your safeguarding concerns with us on our website or contact our National Customer Services on 03000 616161.

The Care Quality Commission has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does the Care Quality Commission endorse any of the products or services.


GP Top tips


If you are new to an area you can find details of local GP services such as doctors’ practices, out-of-hours services and walk-in centres in our online directory of care services


7 2




You can search any of these services by the name of the service, a place name or your postcode at

After an inspection, CQC publishes its findings in a report on its website. You can use these reports to check and compare services in your area.

Telephone: 03000 616161 • Web:

CQC rates all GPs to help people make choices about where they get treatment. This will be on a four-point scale:

Outstanding Good ● Requires improvement ● Inadequate ●


There are already over 1,000 reports about GP practices published on the CQC website.

Last year, CQC launched its new-style inspection reports for GPs – looking at the five key areas SAFE, EFFECTIVE, CARING, RESPONSIVE and WELL-LED – you can use the reports to compare local GPs and choose services.

You can also use these new style inspection reports to find out more about local services and choose the one that is best for your needs.


CQC will also look at how specific population groups are treated and give a rating. For instance how well they serve: Mothers, children and young people, vulnerable older people (over 75s) and people with long-term conditions. People will be able to choose a GP service that rates highly on the areas that matter to them.

We welcome your feedback (good and bad) on the services you, or a loved one, receives from your GP. You can share information with us online at or call us on 03000 61 61 61.



The Care Quality Commission has not vetted the advertisers in this publication and accepts no liability for work done or goods supplied by any advertiser. Nor does the Care Quality Commission endorse any of the products or services.


Age UK Rotherham Services Age UK Rotherham became the new name for Age Concern Rotherham in April 2011. We have been working with and campaigning for older people since 1974. We are an independent charity, whose objectives are to help older people who live in Rotherham to maintain their independence, health and well being by providing services that meet individual needs. We recognise that you want a choice in how you are supported, to continue to remain independent in your own home. The following services are designed to offer you support when and where needed to keep your independence.

Services to support independence We currently offer a range of health and wellbeing services, which include: Social Centre The centre aims to help you feel less socially isolated and to keep you active by providing you with an opportunity to meet friends and participate in various activities like: Crafts, gentle exercise, guest speakers, outings, toe nail cutting, massage. There is a choice of lunchtime menu that will be cooked fresh on site.

Independence At Home Our services offer a comprehensive range of support so that you can be happier in your own home, stay safe and remain independent. We have over 20 years experience of providing a trusted service to older people in Rotherham. The team are trained, caring and fully vetted for your safety. Our services include: Domestic help – Cleaning, laundry, shopping, prescription collecting etc Gardening – All year round garden maintenance, fence/gate repairs and general garden tidying Independent Living Support – Support packages can include : Assisted bathing, meal preparation, hair washing The above services are chargeable Advice & Information Services – This is a free service


We can offer drop in sessions or home visits to provide you with advice on a range of issues including: Benefits, housing, community care and general health and welfare. We can also provide: • Help to complete forms and make applications • Advocacy support to help you with complex issues

Trading – This is a free service A wide range of products and services have been designed for people in later life these include: Home insurance, car insurance, motor breakdown, travel insurance, gas and electricity, funeral plan, will writing. Age UK Rotherham is an appointed representative of Age UK Enterprises Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority for insurance mediation. For any further information on these services please contact 01709 835214

Helping and supporting you at difficult times Hospital Aftercare Service – This is a free service Age UK Rotherham has been running a support service for older people being discharged from hospital since 1996. The team will support you on discharge from hospital by offering you: Non clinical assessment – This is an holistic assessment of your own individual needs supporting you to regain your independence and confidence following your hospital stay Provide a short term package – We have trained enablers that can visit you for up to 30 days to assist you to remain independent and offer reassurance and support with your daily living activities including: assistance with meal preparation, shopping, cleaning, mobility issues etc Signposting – We will give you information or refer to other services that may help and support you now that you are back home, and ensure you are getting the correct benefits you are entitled to Transport – We can take you home from hospital providing you are mobile and able to get into a car and need help to settle back home after your hospital stay which would mean you would get home sooner and not be waiting for other forms of transport Hospital medication – We can return to the hospital to collect your medication from the pharmacy, this will enable you to get home quicker.

Befriending Services If you feel you are lonely and isolated we can provide you with a fully trained and police checked volunteer to visit you at home. The service will provide companionship, or give you confidence to join back in local activities.

support call, which provides a reassuring call to you each morning or when requested. This can be on a permanent or temporary basis if your carer is away. For any further information on these service please contact 01709 786955


We can also provide you with a link line telephone


Alzheimer’s Society Services in Rotherham If you think you may have a form of dementia, or are caring for a person who has dementia, there are many ways that Alzheimer’s Society in Rotherham can help.

Someone to talk to You can phone at any time during our opening hours to talk in confidence with a member of our Dementia Support Team. Our team are here to listen when you just feel the need to talk, or to offer information on specific issues.

Support from Dementia Support Workers Our Dementia Support Workers give personalised practical and emotional support to people with dementia and their carers. We are in touch with a wide range of services and other organisations throughout Rotherham and can put you in touch with specialists who can help you if your concerns are outside of our expertise.

Home Visits We can arrange for a Dementia Support Worker to visit you at home and provide information, guidance and support.

Information We have a wide range of booklets and fact sheets which include specific information on different types of dementia, care issues and understanding the needs of the person with dementia.

Singing for the Brain An innovative project providing structured musical stimulation for people with dementia and their carers. Singing is an enjoyable activity and provides a way for people with dementia to express themselves and socialise with others in a fun, supportive group. Groups run once a month.

Memory Café Anyone who has dementia or is caring for a person with dementia is welcome to attend the monthly


Cafés. Each Café is staffed by Alzheimer’s Society workers and volunteers. Staff from partnership agencies including Social Workers, Community Psychiatric Nurses and Occupational Therapists are invited to attend the groups. Please contact us for more information including dates and times.

Carer’s Information and Support Programme The Carer’s Information Support Programme is a series of workshops for people caring for a family member or friend with dementia. The workshops aim to provide you with information and support on topics such as: • what is dementia? • how you can support and care for someone with dementia • the support services that are available • planning for the future

Carers Resilience Service Carers Resilience is a new integrated service: Crossroads Care and Alzheimer’s Society will work together to provide Link Workers for all GP Practices across Rotherham. The service is specifically for carers of people living with dementia in their own homes. It works to build confidence and resilience by offering: a full assessment of the needs of the carers by a Dementia Adviser; fast track to immediate short term in-home respite care where necessary; support for carers for up to one month; signposting on to other services as required.

Fundraising As a charity we rely heavily on donations to maintain our levels of service. If you would like to help and are able to make a donation of any amount please contact us at the Mexborough office. All donations will be gratefully received.

What should I do now? For information, guidance and support, please call us on 01709 580543. We are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday Alternatively you could visit us at: Alzheimer’s Society Doncaster and Rotherham, Room G18, Mexborough Business Centre, College Road, Mexborough S64 9JP

Membership All members of Alzheimer’s Society receive a monthly national magazine. The more members we have, the greater our lobbying power. Membership is free to carers and people with dementia. Email:

DEMENTIA FRIENDS PROGRAMME Dementia Friends is a national initiative that is being run by the Alzheimer’s Society. It's funded by the government, and aims to improve people's understanding of dementia and its effects. Through the Dementia Friends programme, we aim to change the way the nation thinks, talks and acts. By 2015, we want a million Dementia Friends who have knowledge and confidence to help people with dementia feel understood and included in their community. Because, together, we can create dementia friendly communities.

How will it work? We will train and develop a group of volunteers to spread the word about what dementia is and what action individuals can take in their community. We will then ask them to recruit Dementia Friends who will then receive a basic information session on dementia and be encouraged to take action.

What is a Dementia Friend? A Dementia Friend learns a little bit more about what it is like to live with dementia during a Dementia Friends Information Session and then turns that understanding into action.

What is a Dementia Friends Champion? Dementia Friends Champions are volunteers who run information sessions where they talk to people about being a Dementia Friend in their communities. It's easy to get involved. Dementia Friends Champions will attend a training course, receive support as and when they need it and be part of a growing network of people creating dementia friendly communities together.

How can I get involved? It's easy to get involved. Just visit and book onto a Dementia Friends Information session. Alternatively, you can contact your local Alzheimer’s Society office for more information.


Useful contacts A

Action on Elder Abuse 020 8835 9280 We work to protect, and prevent the abuse of, vulnerable older adults Action on Elder Abuse, PO Box 60001, Streatham SW16 9BY ❙ ❙ Admiral Nursing DIRECT 0845 257 9406 This helpline has been set up to provide people with an opportunity to talk through their worries and concerns about themselves, friends or relatives with dementia. The lines are open on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 11am and 9pm. Callers can leave messages any time and request a call back ❙

Crossroads Care 01709 360272 If you are a carer, your local Crossroads Care scheme can offer you support. Unit H, The Point, Bradmarsh, Rotherham S60 1BP ❙ ❙ Carers UK 0808 808 7777 Prevents carers from becoming emotionally drained, and from forgetting to take care of themselves. 20 Great Dover Street, London SE1 4LX ❙ General enquiries: 0207 378 4999 ❙ Advice line: 0808 808 7777 ❙ Carnson house - rotherham in recovery - 01709 364804

Age UK Rotherham 01709 835 214 An independent charity whose objective is to make the lives of older people in Rotherham as fulfilling as possible. 49-53 St Ann's Road, Rotherham, S65 1PF ❙

Cruse Bereavement Care 0844 477 9400 Cruse Bereavement Care is here to support you after the death of someone close. ❙

Alzhiemers Society 01709 580 543 The UK's leading support and research charity for people with dementia, their families and carers. ❙ ❙

DIAL (Disability Information Advice Line) 01709 370 138 DIAL Doncaster provide information and advice to disabled people, their family and professionals on all aspects of living with a disability. 21 Barden Crescent, Brinsworth, Rotherham S60 5HR

Arthritis Care 020 7380 6500 Working with and for all people with arthritis to put them in control of their arthritis and their lives. Arthritis Care, Floor 4, Linen Court, 10 East Road, London N1 6AD. ❙

Disability Benefits Helpline – 0845 712 3456 for Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance ❙ Textphone: 0845 722 4433 ❙ DG_10011169


CareAware 0161 707 1107 A one stop shop for free advice on care fee funding for older people. ❙ ❙ Care Quality Commission (CQC) 03000 616161 National Correspondence, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA ❙ ❙




Elderly Accommodation Counsel 020 7820 1343 The Counsel's aim is to help older people make informed choices about meeting their housing and care needs. It was founded in 1984 and became registered as a charity in 1985. It is now more commonly known as EAC. ❙ M

Mind (National Association 020 8519 2122 for Mental Health) The leading mental health charity in England and Wales. We work to create a better life for eveyone with experience of mental distress. ❙

Notes N National Osteoporosis Society 0845 450 0230 Advice, information and support group for people with osteoporosis. ❙ NHS Direct

0845 46 47

P Poppy calls - free handyperson service for service veterans - 0800 032 0306 Parkinson's Disease Society ❙

0800 800 0303

R Rotherham Citizens Advice Bureau The RAIN Building, Eastwood Lane, Rotherham S65 1EQ ❙

01709 515680

Royal Voluntary Service 0845 608 0122 A volunteer organisation that enriches the lives of older people and their families across Britain. We support older people by giving time and practical help to help them get the best from life. Royal Voluntary Service, Cardiff Gate, Beck Court, Cardiff Gate Business Park, Cardiff CF23 8RP ❙

S Silverline - 0800 470 8090 free helpline for uk older people who would like information advice or a chat to combat loneliness. Shelter - national homeless and housing charity 0844 515 2240 Stroke Association 0845 3033 100 Advice and information for stroke patients and their families. ❙ The Department of Work and Pensions ❙

T The Pension Service 0845 606 0265 ❙ the-pension-service Y Yorkshire housing - handy person service 0114 2564270


NHS Hospitals and services in Rotherham Riverside House, Main Street, Rotherham S60 1AE 01709 382121 Mexborough Business Centre, College Road, Mexborough, South Yorkshire S64 9JP 01709 580543

Doncaster Gate Hospital Rotherham Rotherham, South Yorkshire S65 1DW 01709 364990


49-53 St Ann's Road, Rotherham, S65 1PF 01709 835213









Rotherham E.


Rotherham W. Brinsworth & Catcliffe


Boston Castle



Sitwell Rother Vale




Anston & Woodsetts

NHS Foundation Trust

Rotherham General Hospital Moorgate Road, Rotherham, South Yorkshire S60 2UD 01709 820000





Specialist Advice for Older Clients

Our caring and dedicated team of specialists can advise and assist you with the preparation of Wills, Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA’s), the administration of financial affairs under an LPA, Registration of Enduring Powers of Attorney and LPA’s, Court of Protection applications and management, Advising Executors and Administrators of Estates, Estate Taxation, Deeds of Variation, Deeds of Gift and asset protection For an Appointment please Quote OP2 and call us on

01709 510999 34-46 Moorgate Street, Rotherham, South Yorkshire S60 2HB 31

Designed & Published by Octagon Design & Marketing Ltd, Hawks Nest Cottage, Great North Road, Bawtry, Doncaster, DN10 6AB Tel: 01302 714528

Options Rotherham  
Options Rotherham