shop on a budget
O ve1r 00
Give them a December to remember
Perfect presents to make them smile (and they're all under $20)
e l y t s l a Season how to create a beautiful christmas: food, recipes and your festive table
GIVE CHRISTMAS 2013
We have your christmas wish list sorted
to Australia Fair Shopping Centre’s Christmas Issue...
Contents THE Perfect GIFT
Gifts for her
Our fave picks for the season
Party wear options for him and her Lavish gifts for the woman in your life
gifts for him 10
Perfect gift options for men
gifts under $20 12
Fantastic finds that won’t break the bank
During the making of this magazine, we’ve had some time to dwell on the Spirit of Christmas and explore what it really is.
Christmas is a time of frivolity and festivities but it’s also a time to pause, reflect and look forward to the new year. For us, this is the season to celebrate friends and family with great food and gift giving. To help you make the most of this special time, we’ve taken the hard work out of Christmas and compiled the best gifts, food and fashion in the centre, altogether in this magazine. From our eclectic assortment of fashion to luxury homewares and the most amazing bargain finds, we’ve scoured the centre to make sure that no matter what age, style or budget, we’ve got the gift for you!
Best Wishes & Happy Shopping
gifts for kids 14 Adorable gifts for boys and girls
Theme your Christmas table setting
Tips and recipes for a delicious Christmas table
from the team at AusTRALIA Fair!
GIVE TO CHARITY Did you know that 400,000 queenslanders suffer from food insecurity and half of those are children? by purchasing non-perishable food items and placing them in the collection bins outside our supermarkets you can help feed families in need this christmas.
5 Hours Free Parking
Australia Fair offers 3 hours FREE parking, and when you spend $25 or more in centre you receive an additional 2 hours FREE!
DISCLAIMER: This publication is produced for the retailers of Australia Fair Shopping Centre. All prices and product descriptions are believed to be correct at the time of printing, however Australia Fair, its retailers and its publishers will not be held responsible for any discrepancies. The nature of this publication is style-based and although every effort has been made to ensure the product descriptions and pricing are accurate, all product featured makes no representation or warranty of any kind or otherwise regarding the availability of product at individual retail stores. Please consult directly with Australia Fair retailers to verify product availability and price.
This regal brush bag looks good enough to take out to dinner.
Lovisa Statement tribal snake chain necklace $29.99
Terry White Chemists Napoleon brush pack with pouch $99
A GIFT THAT SAYS I LOVE YOU This range of thoughtful gifts will truly be loved and enjoyed all year round.
Attract attention Add a classic touch to your man’s look, by gifting him a leather band watch. a flattering, yet timeless piece that he’ll never part with.
Terry White Chemists See by Chloe EDP 30ml $75, 50ml $100, 75ml $130
Wallace Bishop Bracelet $598
A gorgeous gold bangle is our personal favourite because it s’ elegant and dressy, but it can be an everyday piece as well.
Prouds Jewellers Seiko vintage watch $199
Novo Yani heel $69.95 Pen and Ink Visconti Salvador Dali ball pen $250
GIVE CHRISTMAS 2013
Fine JewelLEry gives sparkle and shine; the rest of the year looks very bright indeed. Goldmark 9ct gold diamond engagement ring $699
Captivating, classy and completely unique, this seductive scent will turn heads.
Every woman needs a timeless pair of designer sunglasses.
Terry White Chemists Clinique Aromatics Elixir duet $78
Crossroads Crocodile clutch $29.95
OPSM Bvlgari sunglasses $490
Give the gift of a bygone era with these elegant earrings straight from the roaring 1920s.
Kmart Robin cake stand $15
Lovisa Art Deco drop earring $16.99
Mind Games Chess set $199
a classic game of skill, chess increases all-round creativity and it improves memory! a perfect gift for the strategic lad in your life. australiafair.com.au
Add a dose of day time dazzle with gilded accessories.
yourself a new look IS YOUR christmas social calendar starting to fill up? get into the festive spirit with perfectly styled outfits for every time and occasion.
SUN SMART TIP: A woven Trilby is a stylish Way to stay out of the sun.
UNDER $20 3.
nail the smart casual proviso at your next daytime event with a Little White Dress.
5. 4. 6.
The easiest way to pack a festive punch? Add a pop of coral to your outfit!
The Matinee performance Enjoy the true beauty of an aussie christmas by celebrating outdoors. Dress festively in fuss-free separates AND DON’T FORGET THE SUNNIES!
1. Lovisa Gold leaf drop earring $16.99 2. Ally Fashion Chiffon swing dress $24.99 3. Lovisa Rose flower crown halo headband $16.99 4. Terry White Chemists Estée Lauder Pleasures EDP 30ml $80, 50ml $100, 100ml $145 5. OPSM Coach sunglasses $190 6. Novo Wanda wedge $69.95
GIVE CHRISTMAS 2013
1. Ed Harry Trilby hat $29.95 2. Roger David Chocolate Stray shirt $69.99 3. Cotton On CO by Cotton On distressed no pocket tee $19.95 4. Just Jeans Short $49.95 5. Foot Locker Converse canvas low shoe $89.95
The Dress Circle take silly season socialising to the next level this christmas with these stylish, cocktail ready coordinates for him and for her.
A white gown provides an elegant canvas on which your statement accessories can shine. 3. 3.
1. Lovisa Crystal Marquis ear cuff with matching stud earring $16.99 2. Sportsgirl Maxi dress $189.95 3. Sportsgirl Ring $4.95 4. Strandbags Kardashian Kollection stud clutch $79.99 5. Sportsgirl Belt $24.95 6. Famous Footwear Milan heel $39.99
Try Dark rinse jeans instead of suit pants for an effortless evening Party look.
1. Just Jeans Oxford shirt $49.95 2. Wallace Bishop Seiko gents solar powered sports Chronograph watch $625 3. Goldmark Black star single stud earring $9.95 4. Terry White Chemists Bleu de Chanel EDP 100ml $132 5. Ed Harry Jean $79.95 6. Ed Harry Dress shoe $69.95
Peach makes for an elegant and pretty palette.
lingerie love these girl’s boxers are a feminine twist on a boy’s favourite.
HER SOMETHING SPECIAL if she’s all woman, she’ll love pink, the colour of the moment. spoil her with essentials in blush, peach, gold and neutrals.
1. Crossroads Sandal $29.95 2. Autograph Necklace $29.95 3. Bras N Things Boxer short $24.99 4. Katies Large photo frame $19.95 5. Autograph Bracelets $19.95 6. Just Jeans White trilby $19.95 7. OPSM DKNY sunglasses $99 8. Sportsgirl Ziggy coin purse $9.95 9. Prouds Earring $329 10. Wallace Bishop Stirling silver bracelet with freshwater pearls $88 11. Anew Homewares Coffee mug $6.99 12. Terry White Chemists Wellness Perfect Gift Box $18.95 13. Ejoy Kambrook bread maker $99.95 14. Anew Homewares Tea set $24.99 15. Sanity Jessica Mauboy Beautiful $21.99 16. Noni B Lurex metallic shrug $89.95, White and metallic stripe lurex top $79.95, White and metallic filigree print jean $129.95
GIVE CHRISTMAS 2013
BEAUTY AND GLAMOUR It’s party time – from after-work christmas drinks to new year’s eve, prep your makeup bag for the night of your life.
For an instant party pepup, slick on this two-in-one lip and cheek flush. P S This is a perfect gift for $10 girlsonly secret Santa.
Terry White Chemists Estée Lauder Sumptuous Extreme mascara $52
Terry White Chemists Katy Perry Killer Queen EDP 100ml $69
Priceline Models Prefer brow comb $7.99
Price Attack Designer Brands lip & cheek rouge $9.99
Priceline L’Oreal Super Liner gel eyeliner $24.95
making eyes: the 1960s winged look is all over the catwalk: layer liquid and pencil for extra drama. get party-ready nails to suit your mood and your outfit at Professionail. ProfessioNail OPI Tasmanian Devil Made Me Do It nail lacquer $19.95
Terry White Chemists Estée Lauder Pure Color High Intensity Lip Lacquer in Hot Cherry $40
Hairhouse Warehouse Halo ceramic straightener $239.99
Cosmetics Plus BYS lashes $8
JUST IN Amcal Pharmacy Maybelline Dream Terra Sun bronzer $14.95
Terry White Chemists Clinique Whole Lotta Candy pack $40
1. 6. 5.
4. 8. 3.
If he baulks at wearing high fashion, choose neutrals for him â€“ smart and stylish without being too safe. Goodbye black, hello tan and blue.
HIM A SURPRISE
ditch the hankies and GIVE LOVE TO THE main man IN YOUR LIFE WITH THESE sophisticated and LEISURELy LIFESTYLE pieceS.
this galaxy watch is water resistant to 100m, has a five-year battery PLUS back light.
gOt it covered luxe leather accessories for his tablet or phone will be a winner.
1. QBD The Bookshop Underneath the Southern Cross by Michael Hussey $35 2. Lowes Tank $14.95 3. Cotton On Thongs $4.95 4. Christopher McMahon TAG Heuer aviator sunglasses $495 5. Jay Jays short $29.95 6. Strandbags Colorado leather wallet $49.99 7. Ed Harry Shirt $69.95 8. Absolute Footwear Rockport shoe $169.95 9. Ed Harry Trilby hat $29.95 10. Roger David RDX Paisley shirt $79.99 11. Foot Locker Nike Sweet Classic $99.95 12. Time Mart Galaxy watch $49.95 13. Roger David Backpack $59.99 14. Mind Games Wooden puzzle cubes $49.99 15. Pen & Ink Visconti iPad cover $195 16. Mr Minit Pen $19.95 17. Christopher McMahon TAG Heuer aviator sunglasses $595
GIVE CHRISTMAS 2013
HOURS OF entertainment our roundup of the best gadgets FOR HARD-TO-BUY-for TEENS.
SUPER CHARGED No more messy cables: the Unimax charges up to six devices at a time including iPhone, Blackberry, Nintendo, PSP, MP3, digital cameras and most other electronic gadgets.
wake up, you For something quite small, this device works very hard. Its dual alarm clock radio has 20 program presets plus you can dock, charge and play your iPod or iPhone 4. Kmart iPhone Clock Radio $29
My Cube Unimax $25
Game on The new Xbox One is an all-in-one entertainment system. You can watch films and shows by hooking it up to your cable or satellite box via HDMI and watch through the console. Even better? You control it with your voice.
instant fun Capture life with this adorable instant camera. It has a fixed focus lens and produces business card sized photos – too cute! Create unique and unalterable photographs with this very special limited Christmas edition camera.
EB Games Xbox One $599
My Cube Fujifilm camera $249
apple Power Bank will charge most MOBILE PHONES without THE NEED TO PLUG INTO THE mains connection. My Cube Apple PowerBank $34.95
hot shot The perfect entry-level GoPro. With built-in Wi-Fi, this clever camera has HDTV high-definition video mode that can take 5 megapixel photos at up to three frames per second. Waterproof to 40m with an ultra-wide-angle lens. City Beach GoPro HERO3 $299.99
hear say Play your music as loud as you like with these hip headphones. Volt features include awesome sound quality, comfortable headset – and they’re not bad to look at. City Beach Volt Shock black/rasta headphones $29.99
GIFTS under $20
Mitre 10 Delux cheese knife and board 14.99
Pillow Talk Wooden frame 13x18cm $18.99
Crystique Everyday Positive Thinking by Louise L Hay $15
Kmart Chevron dinnerware set $6
Lovisa Dome ring $9.99
Pillow Talk Ceramic pourer $19.95
Katies Tea light holders $9.95 each
Mitre 10 Olive oil pourer $16.99
Mitre 10 Wish candle $6.99
Mr Minit Pet collar tags engraved $19.95
My Cube Singlet $9.95
Jay Jays Sunglasses $15
Kmart Go Go Ambulance $5
Dotcom Surf Tie dye short $15
Stacks Home Sweet Home wall hanging $3.95
GIVE CHRISTMAS 2013
Kmart Christmas Russian dolls $7
Candy Time Rock candy $4.50
Daiso Cosmetics $2.80 each
A HEARTFELT GIFT THAT neednâ€™T be expensive.
Daiso Ornamental houses $2.80 each
Bras N Things Eye mask $7.99
Cosmetics Plus Pencil lipbalms $5
Chicabooti Floral short $19.99
Stacks Pretty drawers $19.95
Priceline Fashionista makeup kit $15
Mind Games Alphabet A-Z book and doublesided floor puzzle $19.99
Candy Time Hammer $2.50
Kmart Doll and beach car set $12
Surprisingly, white is practical for kids’ clothes – it can be bleached. 6.
TO YOUR LITTLE PRINCESS
Let imaginations soar and hearts delight with pretty Pink and purple gifts for the gorgeous girl in your life.
stacked boxes make tidying the bedroom easy for little helpers. (even mary poppins couldn’t do it better.)
1. Anew Homewares Love plaque $14.99 2. Best & Less Peplum top $15 3. Best & Less Short $25 4. Best & Less Floral cap $10 5. My Cube Polka dot iPad cover $30.31 6. City Beach Sunglasses $19.99 7. Spend-less Shoes Diamanté cut-out sandal $24.95 8. Kmart Scooter $16 9. Kmart Shoes and jewellery set $15 10. Mr Toys Toyworld Flutterbye Flying Fairy doll $49.99 11. Kmart Wooden cupcakes with stand $12 12. Ejoy Kambrook Little Chefs milkshake maker (two cups included) $34.95 13. Kmart Blackboard and whiteboard $29
GIVE CHRISTMAS 2013
UNDER $80 1.
print tees and boardies start from $5 at best & less â€“ from sizes 0 to 6. 4.
HIM FUN STUFF spoil active and inquisitive boys with these fun, adventure-worthy finds.
UNDER $30 11.
1. Kmart Bike $79 2. Best & Less Superman singlet $8 3. Best and Less Bad Boy red cap $12 4. Payless Shoes Lace-up shoe $14.95 5. Best & Less Cargo short $20 6. City Beach Sunglasses $19.99 7. Best & Less Denim short $18 8. Mind Games Temple Trap game $19.99 9. Candy Time Fire engine $2.60 10. Kmart Audiosonic HD 720p action camera $49 (Accessories not included. Memory card sold separately.) 11. Mr Toys Toyworld Wahu pool slide $99 12. Sanity Hotel Transylvania DVD $19.99 13. Mr Toys Toyworld Helicopter $39 14. QBD The Bookshop Guinness World Records 2014 $26.99 15. Mr Toys Toyworld Radio Flyer 2 In One Twist Trike $129 16. Candy Time Car $2.80
this stylishly sleek barbecue has a Built-in temperature gauge in the hood. 2.
for a relaxed alternative to a formal dinner, consider an outdoor barbecue Queensland-style for christmas this year. the kids will love it â€“ and clearing up after dinner will be quick and easy.
Buy a new stool for a quick and cost-effective way to inject colour and style into an out-of-date kitchen.
11. 1. Kmart Bayfair 6 Burner BBQ $399 2. Katies Ceramic lantern $39.95 3. Mitre 10 Twin BBQ utensil set $14.99 4. Pillow Talk Pure Christmas Jackson timber letter set Xmas $24.95 5. Kmart Bamboo serving ware $10 6. Pillow Talk Animal-skin heart decorations $16.95 7. Pillow Talk seat cushions red and natural side stack $24 8. Pillow Talk Rustic stool $99.95 9. Pillow Talk Woven placemat $4.95 10. Pillow Talk Ceramic bird decoration $19.95 11. Pillow Talk Wooden bottle $59.95
GIVE CHRISTMAS 2013
This range of thoughtful gifts will truly be loved and enjoyed all year round.
UNDER $20 6. 7.
Touches of gold and silver bring Christmas cheer, they look sleek and elegant the entire year.
There is one day of the year when a family dinner can be made extra special. Dress up your table in its best bib and tucker and go for an elegant, formal feast with all the trimmings. We’re talking tasteful and contemporary: think gilded dinnerware, a statement Champagne tub and seasonal napkin holders. A table top of mixed metals and crisp white linen will look just as festive as if you’d draped the whole thing in red and green ribbon and is a simple, sophisticated way to elevate a basic table setting to the crown of Christmas day. It will work for either dinner or lunch. (PS If you’re investing, purchase items that you can use all year round by avoiding seasonal references and Christmas insignia.)
Champagne calling Pillow Talk
Keep drinks cool and chic with this beauty.
1. QBD The Bookshop Everyday by Karen Martini $39.99 2. Pillow Talk Filigree plate $5 3. Anew Homewares Water jug white $29.99 4. Pillow Talk Venetian snowflake ornament $9 5. Anew Homewares Crystal tea-light holder $49.99 6. Mitre 10 Rustic cake display plate $19.99 7. Pillow Talk Serviette holder set of 4 $19.99 8. Anew Homewares Milano collection cutlery 72-piece set $229 9. Anew Homewares Glassware all $110 set of 6 10. Pillow Talk Champagne tub $189 11. Pacific Cellars Moët & Chandon Champagne $69.99
and share festive fare recipes and gourmet ideas to ensure they’ll be begging for second helpings on 25 december.
Heston Blumenthal comes to Coles
Pistachios are a more-ish snack to have as a standby over Christmas. Did you know that pistachios are related to the mango? go vita has a healthy range of snacks, no junk in sight.
“We are hoping to creat something a little innovative and a little different for Australian shoppers,” says Heston Blumenthal, one of the world’s most creative chefs, who has developed his second range for Coles. His Christmas-brand food sold out in two weeks last year so he has added two new delicacies for 2014 – Hidden Sauce Figgy Pudding and Spiced Shortcrust Mince Pies – along with favourites such as Hidden Orange Pudding, below.
Prawn and mango salad
Australia Fair Fruit and Veg has a mouthwatering range of produce for a fresh summer feast and mangoes are a particular favourite at this time of year. Also Woolworth’s cooked Australian king prawns are caught in some of the cleanest oceans in the world including right here in Queensland, as well as Western and South Australia. This recipe serves two and takes just five minutes to prepare. It’s reproduced courtesy of the Australian Mango Industry Association.
Never know how much wine to buy? As a guide, a standard bottle of wine will serve six glasses. Pacific Cellars can fill your drinks cabinet this Christmas with celebration wines, beers and spirits. Cheers!
1 mango ½ iceberg lettuce washed 400g washed and peeled cooked king prawns 1 avocado cut into quarters 1 lime, cut in half ranch dressing to serve
Method 1. Divide the lettuce into 2 serving bowls. Top with the prawns, avocado and mango. 2. Garnish with fresh lime and serve with dressing. Serving suggestion In place of the ranch dressing combine the juice from half a lemon, ¼ cup olive oil, a pinch of salt and sugar then drizzle over the salad just before eating.
Global gourmet Pacific Cellars Shaw and Smith Sauvignon Blanc $27.99
Perfect pork crackling A very hot oven and lots of salt well-rubbed into the skin are the essential ingredients for pork crackling: score the skin of the meat before cooking and thoroughly rub coarse sea salt flakes into the grooves. Get as much salt as you can into the meat before putting into an oven that has been preheating between 220°c and 240°c for 30 minutes, reduce to 160°c to 180°c for roasting. For the perfect cut of pork, visit Southport Butchers. 18
GIVE CHRISTMAS 2013
For truly international treats, try Bread Top’s range of traditional Christmas sweets from around the world. A favourite are the übercute mini mince tarts, the size of a 50 cent-piece, filled with juicy mince encased in a sugar pastry. Or for a chocolate hit, the Christmas Log is covered in a rich ganache. Just don’t mention the diet.
Nothing says Christmas like a juicy, succulent cut of meat on your table come 25 December. Runaway Poult has delicious turkey and dury for the best meal of the year.ck
BYRON BAY, NSW Byron Bay is the beachside town of the hippy and happy. Situated in northern NSW, the likes of Elle MacPherson, Jack Johnson and Simon Baker have all called in on Byron Bay to relax and unwind. Overflowing with activities from surf schools to nature walks and yoga retreats, Byron Bay is for those who want to remain active. A hike up to the lighthouse is the perfect opportunity for some light exercise and an excuse to take in the views.
TIP: Check out the Byron Bay website for a detailed list of events during the day and evening.
A GETAWAY TO REMEMBER
Pack light, stylish and smart – always bring more than one book in case you don’t get on with the first one.
australia boasts some of the world’s most stunning coastlines: see what the fuss is about with flight centre’s roundup. HAMILTON ISLAND, QLD Right on the edge of the Great Barrier Reef, Hamilton Island is positioned among 74 picture-postcard Whitsunday Islands. There are only five resorts on Hamilton Island but the place is buzzing with excitement and a constant holiday feel. An absolute must-visit.
TIP: The Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest coral reef so it would be an injustice not to explore it on a snorkelling boat tour.
KANGAROO ISLAND, SA The beauty of Kangaroo Island, at the tip of South Australia, is its proximity to both bushland and beaches. The Island has a real holiday spirit about it and is the perfect place to escape reality. Explore native bushland, wildlife and beaches by day and sample gourmet dining and local wines by night.
TIP: Take a guided tour of Seal Bay with a local ranger where you’ll probably walk among Australian sea lions.
BROOME, WA From the red ochre cliffs to the pristine blue waters, Broome offers a unique take on a coastal holiday because you can mix holiday with history. Known for its role in the Second World War (Broome was attacked at least four times by Japanese aircraft), pearling
industry and famous fossil prints, you’ll be guaranteed to leave this holiday having learnt something new.
TIP: Don’t leave Broome without having taken a cruisey camel ride on Cable Beach at sunset.
darwin, nt Kakadu National Park is just one of Darwin’s main attractions – for those looking for a beach holiday with a twist, the man-made Casuarina Beach is family friendly. This city beach transformed mud flats and industrial sheds into an inner-city tropical playground.
TIP: If you are planning an adventure, a 4WD will come in handy - especially for the Gibb River Road where it’s a requirement.
COLES BAY, TAS On the East Coast of Tasmania, Coles Bay is known for its granite mountains which appear to rise straight out of the sea.
QBD The Bookshop The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert $22.99
Temple Door Printed maxi dress $49.95
Williams Shoes Sandal $29.99
Zelows Giabella Taylor trolley case $129
Nestled at the foot of these granite mountains and right next to the Freycinet National Park and world-renowned beach Wineglass Bay, holiday-makers can hike, bike, fish, boat or sea kayak their way through the holiday.
TIP: Explore Wineglass Bay onboard a catamaran, the views are stunning and it’s a much quicker way of gaining access to the beach.
Booking a holiday? Contact Escape Travel, Flight Centre or Harvey World Travel at Australia Fair.
Fredericos Eleven Miracle Hair Treatment $24.95
at Australia Fair Shopping Centre
Australia Fair Christmas Catalogue